Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

99.99% of the time i avoid the fakes no matter how cheap or how good are they smelling BUT ...there is always a BUT ...i bought a cheap fake ( 10 dollars ) of Opium  and ...shame on me to say that  - i like it more then the original ?!?!?!?!?!  The fake Opium last for ever on my skin , smels awesome , rich , has deepth and all .

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

I've heard that they can cause cancer and other diseases.

"You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way." Walter Hagen.

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Which perfumes does NOT contain synthetic ingridients nowadays? Even the expensive niches are synthetic. Don`t be fooled by the price tag, expensive isn`t always better.

I`m allergic to all perfumes, they give me massive rashes. Therefor I only spray them on clothes and hair. Angel was the trigger for my allergy, and that one as we all know is NOT inexpensive.

So... http://www.fragrantica.com/board/richedit/smileys/YahooIM/105.gif

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

AnaCezar wrote:

But once I bought a perfume that pretended to be like Angel and I must say that one was very good.

What company makes that one?

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

maia4u wrote:

99.99% of the time i avoid the fakes no matter how cheap or how good are they smelling BUT ...there is always a BUT ...i bought a cheap fake ( 10 dollars ) of Opium and ...shame on me to say that - i like it more then the original ?!?!?!?!?! The fake Opium last for ever on my skin , smels awesome , rich , has deepth and all .

What company makes that little gem?

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

The swedish girl wrote:

If it would be a crime, theses perfumes wouldn`t be sold everywhere in regular stores.
So, it`s not a crime.

The reason I bought an imitation Of Hypnotic definately is a money issue - I love to wear Hynotic everyday, but this perfume is so freaking expensive in my country. Perfumes seems to be a lot cheaper in the states.

I will wear the imitation (IF it`s good) when I`m at home by myself, and the real deal when I leave my home. That way I save a lot of money, and can still have the lovely aroma of Hypnotic around me at all times.

Why be stupid?

Sorry to say, they are still illegal/bordering between legal and illegal. I think that is perfume companies wanted, they could have taken to court all the La Rives and Federico Mahoras etc. But they probably can't be bothered.

Again, Im asking you. If you came up with a composition for perfume, how would it make you feel if someone produced (almost) the sam thing in a cheap looking bottle, and sold it for 1/10 of the price?

I understand money is an issue, it is for me as well- there is a lot of perfume I love and I cant buy being a student. And I just deal with it. I would never buy a copy of something I want, Id rather save up rather than buy something that has been created as a result of stealing someone's ideas.

If youre from Sweden, there is a few internet shops selling perfume for much cheaper than in stores (try cheapsmells.com- genuine products, sometimes for a fraction of the price, and shipping in Europe is not expensive, or strawberrynet).

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Migotka -

If I were a perfume maker that made an awsome perfume I would understand that people with less money would like to buy a cheaper copy of it. I wouldn`t get LESS money because of that, cause other people would still buy the real deal anyway.

And as long as it`s not illegal, I just had to live with it anyway. A lot of stuff in the world are imtations, why is it more worse to imitate a perfume, than something else that someone else once upon a time created? Like for example a table or a chair?

And how creative are for example perfumes anyway? Many of them smell VERY alike, but no one gets their knickers in a twist over that? Escada Magnetism and Britney Spears Fantasy just to mention ONE example of a dead ringer.

I always buy my perfumes for the best price available, but they still don`t come cheap.
Strawberrynet doesn´t ship perfumes for free to Europe anymore. The shipping now is 15,50 USD.

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Of course most fragrances contain synthetics - ionones, decatones, cetones, aldehydes, linalool, etc.   Just go the websites of the big fragrance companies like IFF and Givaudan and Firmenich and you'll see.

But I have tried those drugstore duplicates, and while they certainly could deceive someone without a trained nose, serious perfumistas do have trained noses (or are at least in the process of training them).   

I have tried a few copies (Parfums de Coeur and one or two others) when they were available for sampling in drugstores. They are similar to the fragrances they are copying, but far from spot-on. This is clearly because they are made with cheaper (and usually poor quality) ingredients.   

One need not employ any kind of spectrometry to identify the notes in an original fragrance. It's easy to pick them out -- if you have a decent nose -- and to duplicate them with cheaper ingredients -- if you are trained in the chemistry of fragrances.   

It is not a great leap to assume that most people on this site are training their noses (just read the reviews, and notice the ones that identify notes), so most would not be interested in duplicates. It's that simple.


.

Last edited by systeme_d (2011-04-19 03:26:43)

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

My self and a lot of Fragranticans have for sure bought a lot of expensive perfumes that had NO sillage and NO longevity but a BIG price tag and a fancy name. Apperently those perfumes had cheap low quality ingridients in them anyway. Go figure...

That must be more stupid than buying a knockoff for a dime.

http://www.fragrantica.com/board/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

After reading what some of you have said. I gotta say you are right. I went back to the shop where they were selling imitations at HK$50 for 3, they really have no depth to the perfume whatsoever and they smelt cheap? Synthetic? I dunno....

I mean I'm a teenager and idont have an income so I Feel guilt whenever I spending my parent's money. Thought imitations might be a good solution but now.. I'd rather save up every little penny I have to buy the real thing than to use this on my body...

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

The swedish girl wrote:

Migotka -

If I were a perfume maker that made an awsome perfume I would understand that people with less money would like to buy a cheaper copy of it. I wouldn`t get LESS money because of that, cause other people would still buy the real deal anyway.

And as long as it`s not illegal, I just had to live with it anyway. A lot of stuff in the world are imitations, why is it more worse to imitate a perfume, than something else that someone else once upon a time created? Like for example a table or a chair?

And how creative are for example perfumes anyway? Many of them smell VERY alike, but no one gets their knickers in a twist over that? Escada Magnetism and Britney Spears Fantasy just to mention ONE example of a dead ringer.

I always buy my perfumes for the best price available, but they still don`t come cheap.
Strawberrynet doesn´t ship perfumes for free to Europe anymore. The shipping now is 15,50 USD.

I think you would not. Lets say it in a different way. If you wrote a book, would you be happy if someone copied word for word and published it under their name? I think you are generous in this respect, because it's not your hard work that is being wasted. And taht if they were your ideas, you would rather people paid you, not someone else for your hard work.

I get your point. But my point is that supporting imitations is supporting theft, no matter how you look at it. In the same way downloading music from torrents is illegal, although millions of people do it, in the same way 'Prado' clothes made by Chinese or Indian children are illegal, although you can buy them in stores in certain countries. The fact that it exists does not make it legal. I want deisgner clothes. I cant afford them, Does that mean I should get cheap fakes made God only knows where from the local market? Should I buy off ebay fake Luis Vuittons, just because the original is too expensive for me to buy? It is illegal, it's just no one is bothered to take the case to court, because profits would be smaller than any potential gains for the big companies.


"My self and a lot of Fragranticans have for sure bought a lot of expensive perfumes that had NO sillage and NO longevity but a BIG price tag and a fancy name. Apperently those perfumes had cheap low quality ingridients in them anyway. Go figure..."

I think you are talking about something completely unrelated, you seem to confuse the chat about imitations and the problem of quality of original perfume. If it has poor quality, dont buy it, no one forces you to. No one says all original perfume are good. I dont buy perfume which are of poor quality or have no sillage. But the fact that some original perfume has low quality does not excuse the existance of fakes which have even worse quality.

Id never buy a fake of my favourite perfume. You said you love HP. I know you have one original bottle. Why buy a cheao knock off ? If something is too expensive for me, I buy rarely and dont use it everyday. At least I can enjoy the real product rather than smell of articifial, cheap ... something. glad Otherwise, why not go the the perfume store and steal a real bottle, it's the same as buying a fake.

Years ago I dreamt of having Armani Code. I could get a cheap version of it for 5 dollars. I waited long 2 years to have it, and I loved every second of being able to wear it.

I understand why people go for fakes, but I think it should not be justified as being fair. It's not worse or better than any other fake products.

Last edited by Migotka (2011-04-19 06:06:42)

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

I will definitely go for the original, wearing a fake one wont make me feel good at all.    My deep appreciation always goes to the ones who brought a certain scent to our world. http://www.fragrantica.com/board/img/smilies/wink.png My patronage and loyalty is always to the authentic manufacturers.

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Migotka - I guess we just have to agree to disagree in this matter. http://www.fragrantica.com/board/richedit/smileys/YahooIM/26.gif

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

I think this discussion has proven that those of us who prefer the originals and can afford/save up to buy the originals are NOT the intended market for the imitations. Imitations are formulated, IMO, for those who would NOT purchase the originals, so no money is being "stolen" from those who make/market the originals. My guess is that many of those who purchase a clone and find they love it will then be tempted to try the original, which most of us agree are, indeed, "better" in several ways (longevity, sillage, etc.). The clones, therefore, might play a role in expanding the market for the originals when clone purchasers realize the higher quality of the originals and go out and buy them.

To say that the imitations/clones are stealing money from the creators of the originals is tantamount to saying libraries are stealing money from authors and publishers because borrowers would otherwise be purchasers. I know I would not be purchasing even 10% of the books I borrow to read and I believe it's fair to assume this is true of the majority of people with library cards.

Another comparison: if I couldn't purchase fragrances from ebay sellers or on-line discounters I wouldn't be able to afford to pay full price from mall shops or other full-price retail stores. So, are my discounted purchases "stealing" money from the retailers? No, because if I had to pay full retail prices I would simply do without.

Look at it yet another way. I have several copies of paintings on my walls. If I didn't have these copies my walls would be bare because I could not afford to purchase any of the originals. That said, I know these copies lack some/much of the beauty of the originals, but in the absence of the originals, I am perfectly content with my copies.

My dislike of copies isn't grounded upon any snobbery; instead, I've made wrist-to-wrist comparisons and come to the conclusion that the higher quality of the originals makes it worth saving money toward their purchase. If someone is lucky enough to have skin that makes fragrance clones smell wonderful, regardless of whether the smell seems identical or doesn't last as long, I say "go for it". If it smells good, wear it, and don't feel either guilty or as if you owe anyone an apology.

Last edited by weegee (2011-04-19 09:32:24)

Kitty Weegee has crossed the Rainbow Bridge to heaven. June 12, 1994 - December 30, 2013.  He was a very good boy.

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

I read a newspaper article in the early 80's about "knock-off"  perfumes.  I looked up a particular brand, "Deborah,"   by Deborah International Beauty Ltd.   Hey,  I decided to give a couple  a try to decide if I'd like them enough to move on to the real thing, since the article said they were really good.  I bought several, used all except, "Untamed," which  made no suggested reference to  reproducing any  particular fragrance.  Do I have an original?

Deborah has not been found on shelves  in my shopping area for over ten years.  I still have the "Untamed,"  not off on smell,  heavy on   carnation, which I love-sometimes.   The box lists many notes. I'd never read  anyone listing so many notes on their product in the very guarded  and secretive perfume industry.  Deborah is one of the reasons I moved  on to invest in  some designer fragrances.  This "Untamed," is as potent as Opium,  Obsession, and even Angel .  But what do I know?    I have only my nose to trust when my pocketbook will buy.

Has anyone ever heard of this company?  I did once find a listing for Deborah on web.  This Deborah  was creating their own  originals.  Wonder if it's same company having broken away from imposter fragrances? 

We also had a "perfumer" here in town (population over one million) who had bottles of "essence" in his lab.  I saw them.   He called his product, REPRODUCTIONS.  He guaranteed the product you bought was satisfactory  or exchanged it.  I swear, readers, I've compared his product to the genuine and can't tell the difference on what I do have.  About sillage?  Very good compared to the " colored water" passing for celebrity perfumes today.  Unfortunately, he passed away a few years back and took his REPRODUCTION  formulas with him.  Again, what can I say about  how some people make their living.  He had to have paid for the formulas somewhere, but I know he paid taxes.

I bake bread following a receipe.  Am I cheating the Egyptians or Sumerians who baked bread, or made beer?   Was the author of the bread book paying the descendants of same to use the receipe?  I'm not wanting to spark animosity here, just thoughts about topic.

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

weegee wrote:

I think this discussion has proven that those of us who prefer the originals and can afford/save up to buy the originals are NOT the intended market for the imitations. Imitations are formulated, IMO, for those who would NOT purchase the originals, so no money is being "stolen" from those who make/market the originals. My guess is that many of those who purchase a clone and find they love it will then be tempted to try the original, which most of us agree are, indeed, "better" in several ways (longevity, sillage, etc.). The clones, therefore, might play a role in expanding the market for the originals when clone purchasers realize the higher quality of the originals and go out and buy them.

To say that the imitations/clones are stealing money from the creators of the originals is tantamount to saying libraries are stealing money from authors and publishers because borrowers would otherwise be purchasers. I know I would not be purchasing even 10% of the books I borrow to read and I believe it's fair to assume this is true of the majority of people with library cards.

Another comparison: if I couldn't purchase fragrances from ebay sellers or on-line discounters I wouldn't be able to afford to pay full price from mall shops or other full-price retail stores. So, are my discounted purchases "stealing" money from the retailers? No, because if I had to pay full retail prices I would simply do without.

Look at it yet another way. I have several copies of paintings on my walls. If I didn't have these copies my walls would be bare because I could not afford to purchase any of the originals. That said, I know these copies lack some/much of the beauty of the originals, but in the absence of the originals, I am perfectly content with my copies.

My dislike of copies isn't grounded upon any snobbery; instead, I've made wrist-to-wrist comparisons and come to the conclusion that the higher quality of the originals makes it worth saving money toward their purchase. If someone is lucky enough to have skin that makes fragrance clones smell wonderful, regardless of whether the smell seems identical or doesn't last as long, I say "go for it". If it smells good, wear it, and don't feel either guilty or as if you owe anyone an apology.

Weegee, the massive difference is: e-bay sellers or online discount stores purchased the perfume from the producer. A percentage of their profit goes back to the original seller. Profits from cheap knockoffs dont. I think it is quite clear. It is by no means the same as renting a book from a library that bought the original novel (someone purchased the book first, so the author got money for selling a copy) or buying a reproduction of a painting from a company that owns publishing rights to the picture. (Therefore paid someone for a right to reproduce it). Producers of fakes do not pay any money for rights to reproduce the scents. They use other people ideas and sell them as theirs. = theft

Imitations are formulated for people who may not afford // are not willing to pay for the originals. However, it does not change the fact that theft is at the center of the whole thing. And consuners buying this sort of goods should know what they buy and that they fuel companies breaking the law.

If what you said was right, I could also argue that it is OK to buy pirated CD's and DVD's because they are marketed at people who would not buy/rent the original ones. And I think that this sort of reasoning is wrong. Or that it is OK to download music and not pay for it. Or a lot of other things

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Swedish Girl makes a valid point about the cost of perfume outside the USA. Its ridiculously expensive at bricks and mortar stores in Australia too.

belle histoire

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Okay...Just to inject a bit of common sense into the consuming of perfumes, and of the business :
1)Tons of synthetics, even in the niche. ANY scent- no matter how expensive with a majority of naturals (not just scenting materials, but binding materials and such as well- which incidentally, can affect the smell...) will have longevity issues. 2)Many a 'trained nose' all over the perfume inter-webs still couldn't identify real oak moss, vs a synthetic, vs tree moss if made to sniff an unidentified vial. Yeah, I said it. This is different than recognizing an all around reformulation of a fragrance you've worn for years. It's as simple as noticing, and doesn't require years of the study of chemistry or perfumery.  3) There are dozens of upon dozens of designer smell-alikes among designer brands...It's called a trend...and even the niche companies are 'stealing' from reasonable priced boutique brands, and adding a huge markup. I've certainly noticed. 4) The analogy of an author isn't quite right, because the overwhelming majority of noses in the perfume industry are mostly hired in the same manner as free lance ghost-writers - to use a similar analogy. In most cases, there was no artistic sacrifice for the owner, they act simply as scout- and then (with the exception of FM and the like) take the credit! In reality, the actual artist is working for several brands (from drugstore, to designer, to niche) simultaneously, and creating similar scents for those varied brands.
                                         *****************************
Of couse I'm speaking of admited imitations, or copy cat trends- not 'bootleg' knockoffs, which are not held to standard health and safety regulations.

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

I have smelled some copy cats that smell identical.

I have smelled some that started identical until they get onto your skin and morph into something bad. :(

And I have smelled some that don't smell the same, maybe similar.

I think it depends on the imitation. If you can find one that smells the same, at a fraction of the price, I say, Why not! glad

We sell a copy cat in my store of the original Paris Hilton fragrance. And to me it smells identical. glad It's a pretty big bottle and you get it for about 8 bucks! ~ Also it is good for me to recommend because most customers that I show the real Paris Hilton fragrances to, refuse to pay money and support her lifestyle. They would have walked away and not enjoyed a nice fragrance just because of who sells it. Which is a shame if it's a nice scent.

It is their choice. So having the imitation helps in that regard as well. They won't have to be without a nice scent, because of their preference who to give their loyalty and money to.

And, Gotta love a bargain! superglad

But some aren't so good. So try and if the store you buy it from has a good return policy, what do you have to lose? You can just return it. glad

(I am talking about the copy cat brands, honest that they are an imitation.  Not the fakes trying to pass off as the real thing. I don't know about those.)

p.s. - Someone mentioned toxic ingredients in imitation fragrances. Is it safe to assume if that is the case, then there also are similar ingredients in designer fragrances? I mean which ones are really natural? Don't they all use chemicals? Definitely something to learn about. I am a bit afraid to though, it might scare me away from fragrance! lol. Yikes!

Last edited by starlight~girl:) (2011-04-19 21:59:38)

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Ironically, today the big designers(Guerlain) say if you like old Mitsouko, then you will like the new one. Or YSL and its new Opium...

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

I don't mind em. They've always smelled the same as the original to me. And heck..I'm on a budget..!

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

How do I feel about imitations/knock offs?

Not for me. I believe they are a total waste of my hard earned money. I'd rather save for a bottle of an original. I've used them before and the lasting power isn't there. Most of them that smell similar turn into something nasty after a bit. I just don't care for them!

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

My local Walgreens has a big display of the 'InStyle' fragrances with testers. The only one that even comes REMOTELY close to smelling like the actual fume is Cashmere Mist... maybe it's easier to duplicate straight powder. http://www.fragrantica.com/board/img/smilies/tongue.png

The silliest ones to me are Eternity & Euphoria! Neither are very pricey,so why not add a few extra bucks and buy the real thing??

IMHO imitations usually end up being (bad imitations) & aren't even worth the low price asked.

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Well.... I think in general you get what you pay for..... personally, I'd rather have 1 good one than 10 imitations., no matter how well done they appear to be.... but that is just me....
it's kind of the same as wearing real gold or fake gold jewelery .... the same cheap feeling... even if it looks sparkly....

"The supreme happiness of life the conviction that we are loved."

Re: How do you feel about "imitation" perfumes?

Anyone who thinks there isn't any synthetics in good or expensive or niche perfumes needs to read "The Perfect Scent" by Chandler Burr.  The book mentions that are machines where you can run a perfume through (shooting the juice) and it'll give you the info as to what is in it, everything-and that's how the dupes are made, somewhat. If I remember correctly it said that Jean-Claude Ellena would add extra molecules in his to throw the machines off. (Don't quote me on this, my read comprehension has been terrible lately, and I read TPS on kindle on my phone, which was close to torture.)

I'd recommend it to anyone who had an interest in perfumes, not just for the info on synthetics and other things, it's a great read!

As for the imitation perfumes, I'm talking about the ones found in drugstores that are smell a-likes of the real thing, I did buy a few when I was younger and couldn't afford the real ones. I found they didn't make the dupes in the scents I liked, I remember having to cough up the $$ for Mahora because there weren't any imitations of it. That got the perfume ball rolling for me!

The fakes-fake juice in a bottle of, say Chanel no 5 or the like, are the ones you need to worry about. Those are the ones that allegedly have dangerous chemicals in them like anti-freeze and such. Plus, who buys a fake knowingly? Ugh.