Topic: How to know the perfume is "Fresh" & not expired- If you buy on Ebay?

Hello everyone! I have a question. glad

I have been wanting to purchase fragrance on Ebay. But I have known people in my life who don't store their own perfumes right, and have gone bad. A best friend of mine thinks her perfumes are fine. But they are rancid from sitting in her hot very humid bathroom. How do you know who to buy from there and which ones sell them new &/ or fresh?

Also have purchased stale/ or fragrance gone bad at discount stores. I now know they go there, after they have sit on a shelf and past expiration dates in other stores. Also suspect they were perhaps sitting in a hot warehouse. TJmaxx isn't really focusing on storing them right like Perfumania, etc. They are discount store.

How do you protect yourself from this when you purchase from Ebay? I have never bought anything from there and don't know what to look for. How do I know they haven't been sitting in someone's hot attic? Or Bathroom, or that they aren't selling something that is expired?

Do you just take a chance?

What are your experiences, and how do you know you are buying from someone who knows about fragrances and will sell you something fresh, and not gone bad or old?

Most people don't know about that. So how do you know who to buy from there?

Thank you!! 26

What has been your experiences shopping for fragrance there? Suggestions? Should I worry? I just didn't want to pay money and get something old. It's already happened to me in some stores. And I didn't want it to happen again, if I shop online. :( I would be so disappointed.

Thank you! I am afraid to shop there, and don't know what to look for.

Last edited by starlight~girl:) (2011-04-19 21:35:34)

Re: How to know the perfume is "Fresh" & not expired- If you buy on Ebay?

At the mall there is a perfume counter and they sell perfume at a discounted price. How do you know if you are buying perfume that has expired or old? Can someone please help answer this. Also how long does perfume last before it goes bad?

Only some of the very new ones have an expiry date. Most perfumes don't . It comes down to how old they are and how they have been stored.
Most often then not there is just a color change, some brands get brownish or blackish without alteration of scent. Many do this pretty soon after you open the package.

There are truely vintage perfumes out there that still smell great.

There are some old ones that have lost some of the top notes, but they are still good.

and then there are some that were badly stored, or have been made of cheap  poor quality ingredients to begin with, and those are the ones that go rancid.

Most good perfumes last a very long time. Some last for decades.

it shouldn't happen to you that often, to buy a bad one.... maybe just a strike of bad luck

Be nice!

Adiro wrote:

and then there are some that were badly stored, or have been made of cheap poor quality ingredients to begin with, and those are the ones that go rancid.

I would not quite agree whit that.
I bought http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.796.jpg Dior Pure Poison Elixir 50 ml a year ago in a store.
I didn't use it much, but I was storing it at highes level. It was in his own box all the time, in my room, away from sun and any kind of humidity.
Problem was when I try to sell it. Girl who bought it from me said that it has become sour and spoiled. I was in shock because I was his first owner, it was 100% original and I was taking good care of it. It was just one year old.
I think it has spoiled because this retro pump of his. So I will double think when I want to buy similar kind of parfume bottle or I will decant it the same day I buy it http://www.fragrantica.com/board/img/smilies/dumbom.gif

Simply, you don't know a thing about the proposed purchase but the general price!
Still, I have had good luck purchasing from eBay - it's just a fun way to expand your collection. Plus, if you are not happy, Paypal will back you up - you must report it within 7 days of receipt.

Belle de Sud