Topic: Sprayer suddenly not working! Can it be fixed?

I wanted to wear http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.1045.jpg  Prada Prada today, but when I tried to spray it, I couldn't push the sprayer... I tried rotating it but nothing. After applying a lot of force, the sprayer got pushed a little bit and perfume did get out, inside the sprayer cap and trickled down the bottle.

I thought maybe the sprayer was clogged so I switched it with one from another perfume, but it still didn't work.

Also, if I turn the bottle so that the pump sucks only air and not perfume, the sprayer can get pushed easily.

I don't know what happened to it, this was very sudden, the last time I wore the perfume it worked perfectly.

Any ideas why this would happen? And what can I do about it?

My bottle is 80% full, I don't want to have to throw it away...

So upsetting :((

Last edited by ineverwas (2011-11-04 05:54:51)

Die Gedanken sind frei

Re: Sprayer suddenly not working! Can it be fixed?

I have been asking this question on several forums as I have 3-4 'stuck' atomisers and would love to fix or decant into decorative perfume flacons. I have been told some atomisers will unscrew, but none of my stuck bottles will turn - does anybody know a solution??!

I have a defect atomizer too. 90 ml bottle, sigh.. I think only refillable bottles hasve atomizers that unscrew.

My plan is to buy an empty perfume bottle big enough for the juice, and pour it over. I hope I will be able to get the atomizer etc. off the old bottle without breaking the whole bottle!

I found an online store that sells all sort of decant sets, sample vials, purse srays, perfume bottles, funnels etc. I think I will order form there.

Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

The only time that happen to me was with a ysatis bottle but it fell on the capeting on it's head. I think they sometimes get pushed in and there is not much tube exposed for the top thingy to stick onto. I would try going to a craft store and buy a pliers made for jewelry beading they have real fine ends to them and you might be able to grab the tube , but be gental not to squeese it.

this is how the pliers looks, I have it next to a finger so you can see how small the point is.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/rizack_2008/P1010122.jpg

Last edited by Rizack2 (2011-11-04 10:27:58)

Nothing smells better then a freshly bathed Sheltie!

Thank you all for your replies!

Rizack2, do I have to grab the plastic tube under the sprayer cap with the pliers and pull it up a bit? Did I understand correctly?

EK, could you please give me the link to the online store you mentioned? I may have to eventually put the perfume in another vial.

Beach Girl, indeed it's shameful for Prada to have such poor quality atomizers.... from what I've seen online, there are more people out there whose Prada bottle sprayers got broken.

belle de sud, I can't unscrew the atomizer either... I'm not even sure how to proceed if I'll have to pour the liquid in another vial. I think I'll ask my handy boyfriend for help, maybe he'll figure something.

Die Gedanken sind frei

Sent you one as well glad

Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

You might have to take the cap off to get to the tube that feeds into the spray cap. On a body mist or refillables you can unscrew the whole thing and see the tube is just hanging the and push it back in but on animizers you can unscrew so you have to pull it up.

I couldn't fix my Ysatis because the spray tube got shoved totally in the bottle and was floating around.

If you recently bought the bottle could you return it or call Prada up and complain?  Ya never know they might just send you a new bottle or tell you to return it to the sore for a new one.

Last edited by Rizack2 (2011-11-04 15:22:48)

Nothing smells better then a freshly bathed Sheltie!

moore wrote:

Call Prada's distribuitor and send it to them without trying to fix it. If you do anything they'll think you damaged it and maybe won't replace it to you.

YES, DO THAT!!

and if Prada, or the perfumery will not replace it, you can unseal the piston. It's not hard to do; the sealing is made of a thin aluminum foil. As thin as the body a soda can.

You can buy empty perfume bottles; the same that we use for decants. Or, if you are in the urge, you also can go to an optician. Many of them sell small sprays of glass cleaning fluid (30-50 ml) for the purse.

Back in the 80's, remember Mr. T advices, "believe in yourself, drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk!" or something like that

Thanks for all the tips girls! It appears I will need the toolkit......

I think you should get in touch with Prada too. A lady came into my work recently with the exact same problem you are describing, with the exact same perfume! The sprayers are obviously bad quality if it is happening more than once with the same perfume, you shouldn't be getting bad quality when you pray Prada prices. We could not help her as some of the perfume had been used, we told her to contact Prada also. Good luck!

belle de sud wrote:

Thanks for all the tips girls! It appears I will need the toolkit......

Maybe it exists a special tool to unseal the pistons; I don't know.
I just tried last night with a fake perfume from Bulgaria.

I recommend to use the smallest screwdriver you could find (such for electronic components).
When the piston comes sealed to the glass, the aluminum foil makes like flower petals; you relatively easily can stick the screwdriver in one of the interstices.
When the screwdriver is in, you can gentle work parallel to the sealing; using the screwdriver as a lever to spread the aluminum from the glass.
It's not necessary to spread the whole sealing. Only 1/3 is enough.
Then, pass the screwdriver perpendicularly, as high as you can and pull. The whole thing will or pop just like a beer cap.

Don't use knives or pointy things, due to risk of injury.

Back in the 80's, remember Mr. T advices, "believe in yourself, drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk!" or something like that

thanks, vincifrisco! Can do!

Thank you guys for your help and advice, much appreciated!  glad

I tried to fix the sprayer but it seems that nothing works... it might be that it's losing pressure inside the mechanism or something. I think I will have to decant it into a different vial. I'll order one online and try to open the Prada bottle when the replacement arrives  glad ... Hopefully it will be easier now that I've got some idea how to do it.

About returning the bottle - that probably won't be easy, I bought it from Sephora and I doubt they will take it back after 6-7 months... I even doubt I can find the receipt. :(

Well, in any case, I'm a bit calmer now that I know what I have to do. It's still sad I have to lose the bottle, but nice to know I have such helpful Fragrantican friends! hjarta

Last edited by ineverwas (2011-11-05 17:33:03)

Die Gedanken sind frei

It happened to me with another perfume (not Prada) and i kept the perfume in  the bottle as

splash only.I had the original cap.

It was this perfume :http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.6632.jpg Oriflame Miss O Club Prive

WELCOME TO www.fragrantica.gr

*sophi*'s Website