Topic: Has anyone ever managed to remove atomizer?

Hi folks!   15

I wondered if anyone has ever succeeded in getting the whole atomizer "apparatus"  off of a perfume bottle?

I tried it once, using pliers, on a bottle of Burberry Women that I wanted to decant into another bottle, but NO LUCK!

I know I could spray the juice into a bottle, but I'd like to know if it's impossible to open up the bottle, or if I used a bad technique;  or if I wasn't strong enough.  http://fimgs.net/smilies/styrka.gif

Re: Has anyone ever managed to remove atomizer?

Vincifrisco posted about it a couple of times. I did it once (almost same method as he recommends). The metal foil is easy enough, it's the rest that's difficult - but it is possible. I almost went hysterical over it, but after maybe 45 mins it came off.

Last edited by EK (2012-01-04 03:02:47)

Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

Mr Smellsogood and a pair of needle nosed pliers is my secret weapon of choice.  wink

Never bite the hand that feeds you.................not until after lunch anyway!

be carful thou,i broke a bottle once, the glass shattered. I lost all of a 50ml bottle.

Maybe it exists a special tool to unseal the pistons; I don't know.
If you have to do it, I recommend to use the smallest screwdriver you could find (such for electronic components).

When the piston comes sealed to the glass, the aluminum foil makes like flower petals; you relatively easily can stick the screwdriver in one of the interstices.
When the screwdriver is in, you can gentle work parallel to the sealing; using the screwdriver as a lever to spread the aluminum foil from the glass.
It's not necessary to spread the whole sealing. 1/2 to 2/3 is enough.
Then, pass the screwdriver perpendicularly and pull. The whole thing will pop just like a beer cap.

Don't use knives or pointy things, due to risk of injury; and be careful.

But I think now of another method using a glass knife (I'm not sure how it is called in English), to cut the top of the bottle.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/279590925/glass_knife.jpg

I only tested on pieces of glass; not on bottles. It's really efficient. Make one pass, applying a reasonable pressure; gently tap where you have passed the tool and the glass breaks net and clean without debris.

Back in the 80's, remember Mr. T advices, "believe in yourself, drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk!" or something like that

Thank you, vincifrisco!

I've never use one of those glass cutting tools, but I will proceed with caution if I give this a try.  I think I'll try it first with a fragrance that isn't a fave and was inexpensive

LEZ 7:  Oh, how awful!

EK:  I'm glad you finally succeeded!  Did you come close to throwing the bottle against the wall?  lol   75

smellssogood:  You've got in-house help!   tummenupp

I was VERY close to taking it out into the garden and bash it to pieces with a shovel or something!

Be careful with a class cutter. When you pour th eperfume into another bottle afterwards, put a small piece of kitchen paper or something in the funnel to catch small glass particles. You don't want them on your skin!

Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

I am facing the same ordeal. 2 of my sprays are not working. I just googled something, will try it as soon as my new atomezers arrive.

Place one hand on the plastic spray nozzle on top of the perfume bottle. Place the other hand on the perfume bottle itself.

Pull straight up with your hand to remove the nozzle from the perfume bottle.

Use a pair of scissors to cut away any plastic encasement surrounding the neck of the perfume bottle. A pocket knife can be used if the scissors are difficult to maneuver.

Use the tip of the pocket knife, or scissors, to carefully pry off the metal section adjoined to the neck of the perfume bottle. Insert the tip of the blade under one section of the metal and gently pry upward. Repeat the process around the entire neck of the perfume bottle. Do not try to lift the knife too much as this will break the bottle.

Use pliers to grasp the metal piece and gently pull up and away from the perfume bottle. Do this carefully to avoid breaking the glass bottle as well as spilling the perfume.

Read more: How to Remove the Spray Top From Old Perfume Bottles | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5832630_remove- … z1kPrXOR1p

olga1780's Website

That's good to know, just in case.

I myself never tried, but one of my bottles had such a tight cap that eventually it pulled the whole spray thingy completely out.

Thank you, Olga.    15

Yanvar wrote:

I myself never tried, but one of my bottles had such a tight cap that eventually it pulled the whole spray thingy completely out.

Wow, that's heavy duty!    65

I'm curious;  do you remember which perfume?

I am currently struggling with a bottle of http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.2918.jpg Caron Fleur de Rocaille (1993) . I bought a bottle but the sprayer wouldn't work, but the seller told me to keep it and refunded the money. I just can't throw away a full bottle, no way! But the foil is just so hard to lift with a knife! UGH. I am contemplaiting going to Home Depot and buying a glass cutter at this point.

olga1780's Website

oh! de parfum wrote:
Yanvar wrote:

Wow, that's heavy duty!  65

I'm curious; do you remember which perfume?

Of course I do, it was Shi by Alfred Sung.

WOOHOOO....just opened my Fleur de Rocaille and transferred in into a new bottle with a great spray!

Just wanted to share a quick tip: use a good quality steak knife to lift the foil, and lift it not with the tip but with the jagged blade...it comes off a lot easier this way. Once you lift the foil where it reaches the bump in the neck, the whole thing comes off really easily with a pair of plyers! It took me less than 5 min to get it off!

Last edited by olga1780 (2012-01-28 19:12:31)

olga1780's Website

May I suggest a powerful little tool-wirecutters or diagonal pliers.  It's been a long time ago but I've  removed several metal apparatus very easily by cutting into any vulnerable part of metal , then just pulling carefully around and over with a pair of needlenose pliers or heavy duty scissors.   Suggest doing work over a container to catch spills and wear protective gloves.

olga1780 wrote:

WOOHOOO....just opened my Fleur de Rocaille and transferred in into a new bottle with a great spray!

Just wanted to share a quick tip: use a good quality steak knife to lift the foil, and lift it not with the tip but with the jagged blade...it comes off a lot easier this way. Once you lift the foil where it reaches the bump in the neck, the whole thing comes off really easily with a pair of plyers! It took me less than 5 min to get it off!

That's great!   31

gazelle wrote:

May I suggest a powerful little tool-wirecutters or diagonal pliers. It's been a long time ago but I've removed several metal apparatus very easily by cutting into any vulnerable part of metal , then just pulling carefully around and over with a pair of needlenose pliers or heavy duty scissors. Suggest doing work over a container to catch spills and wear protective gloves.

Thank you, gazelle!

Great topic. I have a couple of partial bottles of different brands that smell nearly identical. Space on my counter is tight, so this could help. Thanks!!!