Topic: What do you do when your perfume makes you feel sick, nauseous, rash ?

Be honest.

Do you put it away, and re-use it at another time ?

Do you give it to someone without telling her that it made you feel sick ?

Do you put it up for Swap ?

Do you donate it to a thrift shop ?

Do you throw it out ?

Further:

Do you tell the world about it ?

If it were food poisoning by eating a certain food, most certainly you would not ingest any more of that.

Perfume seems to have a second and even third chance.

Like Baseball - three strikes and you are out.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQniCEsobN_-tQuU158UFuKgeToONVlTapk3xIaKuvI-GBibfH4Ww

Last edited by Udaria (2012-01-05 17:14:07)

JR topic Help http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76582
CL topic Help http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76398

Re: What do you do when your perfume makes you feel sick, nauseous, rash ?

Udaria wrote:

Be honest.

Do you put it away, and re-use it at another time ? Yes!

Do you give it to someone without telling her that it made you feel sick ? No, I give it and tell the person why. Usually: “I can’t stand it and I use to love it.” And: I know you like it, do you want it? Or: Do you want to try it to see if you like it?”

Do you put it up for Swap ? No.

Do you donate it to a thrift shop ? No.

Do you throw it out ? Never.

Further:

Do you tell the world about it ? YES

If it were food poisoning by eating a certain food, most certainly you would not ingest any more of that.

Perfume seems to have a second and even third chance. Or four or five....

Like Baseball - three strikes and you are out.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQniCEsobN_-tQuU158UFuKgeToONVlTapk3xIaKuvI-GBibfH4Ww

Udaria wrote:

Be honest.

Do you put it away, and re-use it at another time ? I'll give it a few more tries

Do you give it to someone without telling her that it made you feel sick ? I will tell that person I got sick from the perfume.

Do you put it up for Swap ? Probably.

Do you donate it to a thrift shop ? Yes.

Do you throw it out ? No

Further:

Do you tell the world about it ? Yes. Why not. ?

Last edited by thaocrockett (2012-01-05 17:58:30)

Simple yet complicated.

I've never bought a full bottle of a perfume that made me sick but if I did, then I'd give it away to someone who didn't get sick from it. If it made them sick too, then I'd hope they would throw it out.

I wouldn't automatically assume there was something *wrong* with the perfume just because it didn't agree with me. I think being sensitive to a particular fragrance as an individual, and the fragrance being "bad" for everyone are two separate things.

Like with food, for example, sugar gives me headaches and my good friend gets sick from milk, but it's not that sugar and milk are bad, just that they don't agree with the individual.

However, if everyone gets sick from using a perfume, then there is something wrong with it (like with food poisoning). So there's a difference.

"Love isn't brains, children. It's blood. It's blood screaming inside you to work its will." (Spike - BtVS)

Udaria wrote:

Be honest.

Do you put it away, and re-use it at another time ?

Yes  glad I give myself 1 week, or sometimes 1 day of break if I really miss it  wink

Last edited by vertigo (2012-01-05 19:15:19)

It has only happened to me once. I put the juice away and never touched it again until I found someone to give it to. She was pleased. It never occurred to me that anything could be wrong with the perfume.

Don't make someone your priority while you remain their option.

Udaria wrote:

Be honest.

Do you put it away, and re-use it at another time ? I'd spray my books with it.

Do you give it to someone without telling her that it made you feel sick ? No I would not. If a fragrance has that effect on me- which is very rare- it is too harshly chemical & unhealthy to give to someone close to me in good conscience

Do you put it up for Swap ? I don't do swaps

Do you donate it to a thrift shop ? I don't know where I can.

Do you throw it out ? no I never throw out fragrance

Further:

Do you tell the world about it ? maybe here on the forum. most of the people I know don't really wear fragrance anyway

Last edited by chanelnumerocinq (2012-01-05 21:08:49)

I give them to my mom and tell her the truth, if she likes the perfume then she  keeps it, since she is not so picky, her collection is growing bigger glad

I had quite some perfumes that I was crazy about and then somehow they started making me sick, soon I realized that patchouli was the thing they had in common and now I know that I must avoid it. Some über sweet, floral, spicy or ambery scents make me a bit dizzy too so I sample scents several times before deciding to purchase and I normally try to buy the smallest bottle available.

Live and learn glad

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

To be completely honest,

none of the perfumes I've encountered ever gave me such bad and strong reactions, like nausea or rush. Some perfumes may seem too strong, so I applied them away from the face or neck (e.g. behind my knees) to avoid suffocation. But most often, when perfume makes me that uncomfortable, I just don't wear it.

But if I ever encounter such conspicuous perfume, then

Do you put it away, and re-use it at another time ? Unlikely

Do you give it to someone without telling her that it made you feel sick ? I might give, but I would warn, especially if it's someone I know well (worst case scenario, they would find out on their own)

Do you put it up for Swap ? No
Do you donate it to a thrift shop ? No

Do you throw it out ?
yes

Do you tell the world about it ? Probably, I would make a post about it here on Fragrantica or Basenotes, and then ask people if they got the similar reaction from this fragrance

"I can resist everything except temptation" (Oscar Wilde)

Do you put it away, and re-use it at another time ? YES

Do you give it to someone without telling her that it made you feel sick ? NO

Do you put it up for Swap ? NO

Do you donate it to a thrift shop ? NO

Do you throw it out ? NO

Further:

Do you tell the world about it ? USUALLY NOT, OTHER PEOPLE MAY LIKE IT , COULD BE RUDE.

Do you put it away, and re-use it at another time ?  I give it a try second, third time, then if the symptoms persist (headache, dizziness etc.) I give the scent to someone who likes it. What's the point in using something that makes me feel sick?
It happened to me couple of times, that the scent I tried seemed ok.- I had no symptoms like headache- and then over time I became sensitive to that scent and had to stop using it.

I've never gotten sick from a perfume so far (not even a rash or a mild headache). I know many people have a sensitivity to certain scents but I don't really know what that's like - I assume it must be very unpleasant.

If any of my perfumes made me very sick (more than a headache or a rash), I would not wear it again and most probably would not sell or swap it or give it to anyone.

If it gave me a rash then I would spray it on clothes, obviously this would be an allergy so I'd have to avoid direct contact. If I couldn't tolerate the smell either (itchy throat, runny nose) I would sell/swap/gift it.

If it gave me a headache then I would give it more time, see if it happens again. If it does, I would sell/swap/gift it.

Where there's a will, there's a way

It took me a while to realise that Samsara made me feel unwell, a bit headachey and a bit nauseous.   It's a shame because my husband loves it.  I've just left it on the shelf and I will try it again some time but not for a while.  I could probably tolerate it for a few hours in the evening but I won't wear it all day again.

Other than coughing, when the spray hit me, from the front, I have never gotten sick, or rash.  But even the coughing with that certain one, was a warning that something was not right.  I tossed it.   

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.138.jpg Boucheron Jaipur Saphir

A real shame, because it smelled light and feminine.

Then there are

LANCOME Poeme and CARON Parfum Sacre

where one ingredient is warned about.  I am purposely not making big speeches here, but I wear mine with caution and less frequently.

I am still surprised to frequently read that the member simply says, well, I give it a rest, and retry later.  What is not good, is not good, but to each her own.

JR topic Help http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76582
CL topic Help http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76398