Topic: Batch numbers!

Hi guys,

I recently brought a perfume tester and liked it so much I decided to buy another one  (the same perfume) from the same ebay seller.

The question is I noticed they both had the same batch numbers on the boxes and bottles! Is this normal?? I thought all perfumes would have their own personal batch code number??? even if it is two of the same perfumes?

Thanks 35

"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss

Re: Batch numbers!

A batch number is habitually made of 3 to 5 digits. 1 to 2 numbers serve to indicate year and sometimes month of production. Stays 2 to 3 digits. If the production exceed 999 bottles, I presume they reuse numbers, or sometimes a number is more a lot number as an individual bottle number.

Whatever. With todays online shops, I would never buy a perfume on eBay.

Back in the 80's, remember Mr. T advices, "believe in yourself, drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk!" or something like that

A batch no. is not the number of a single item. It defines the production lot - at least when it comes to other items. I suppose that goes for perfumes also.

Last edited by EK (2012-02-20 11:30:26)

Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

Thank you both for your replies! I'm assuming batch number is what they call the number at the bottom of a perfume???

Thank you  26

"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss

I'm not sure if this is the same thing as 'batch numbers', but the number at the bottom of most perfume bottles are serial numbers. Each bottle should have a different number, no matter if you have 10 of the same thing. This serial number is also written on its original box, and it should always match with the number on the bottle.

However, the barcode on boxes will remain the same if the perfume(& size of it) are exactly the same.

In other words, let's say you had 10 boxes of Givenchy Play 50ml EDP. If you were to look at the barcode, they will all have the same number. But there is also a serial number on each and every box, and all these numbers should be different from each other. So when you open all 10 boxes, you should be able to find that same matching serial number on the bottle somewhere, usually somewhere on the bottom.

I ALWAYS check my serial number of my perfume.  checkcosmetic.net is the place to go for that. After submitting the (usually, but not always) 4-digit serial number, it will tell you the month/year it was produced, and its expiry date.  superglad

Last edited by Robynlovesperfume (2012-02-20 14:32:57)

I love ya, Simon. RIP my little buddy. 08/03 - 06/30/14

Isn't a batch number for the day it was manufactured, so their can be hundreds or more bottles with the same 4 digit number, such as my Coco Chanel has 2503 inscribed on the back of the bottle.

Looking it up on this site says it was manufactured April 2010

http://checkcosmetic.net/

Last edited by Rizack2 (2012-02-20 15:19:42)

Nothing smells better then a freshly bathed Sheltie!

Rizack2 wrote:

Isn't a batch number for the day it was manufactured, so their can be hundreds or more bottles with the same 4 digit number, such as my Coco Chanel has 2503 inscribed on the back of the bottle.

Looking it up on this site says it was manufactured April 2010

http://checkcosmetic.net/

Well, you know? I'm really not sure, I suppose it could be! But it's always been my understanding that each is given its own number. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was that told me this, so I can't verify it with him/her. But now my interest has really been peaked,.. I really want to know this, so I'm going to have to check this out...

I think that number is a lot number. It coincides on bottle & box.

I have posted here at any topic a bottle of a perfume talking about different formulations and someone checked hers and told to be the same number.

It is a reference number for the manufacturer and they know when it was produced and where.

Quoted from Checkcosmetics.net:

"What is batch code?
The code which enables manufacturers or suppliers to identify the batch in which the product was manufactured must be marked on both the primary container and outer packaging. If the product is not made in a batch, then the code should enable the date and place of manufacture to be identified."

... So the batch code can be BOTH:

The lot no. OR the date of production.

Last edited by EK (2012-02-20 16:19:55)

EK wrote:

"What is batch code?
The code which enables manufacturers or suppliers to identify the batch in which the product was manufactured must be marked on both the primary container and outer packaging. If the product is not made in a batch, then the code should enable the date and place of manufacture to be identified."

Thanks, never knew about this website!! Great information. Going to check my perfumes now!!

Never be afraid to show your love, Love makes the world go round!

I believe I should have been calling the number codes serial numbers rather than batch numbers!! I think so anyway!!!

i'm confused lol

EK wrote:

"What is batch code?

I agree : batch code is often lot number and production date.
I have some Dior perfumes bought in 2011 : the two first digits are production date. 1C859 (1 for 2011, C for March, 859 is the lot number)

Back in the 80's, remember Mr. T advices, "believe in yourself, drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk!" or something like that

So basically the fact that I have two bottles with the exact same lot numbers on the bottles, am I assuming I don't need to worry.

I was worried in case they were fakes??

EK wrote:

"What is batch code?

Thanks a lot, EK! This easily explains it for all of us. And definitely clears it up for me.   applause

Don't thank me - it was Rizack2 who provided the link  smile

I just quoted from there to explain what a batch code is..

hmm, the disclaimer on the batch no checking website said that the test is not really accurate...

To look up production years of brand name perfumes, you can call the company and ask them to look up the year with the serial number.

Usually the only perfumes that have serial numbers are exclusive limited editions, created to be such (not flankers which then stay on) with a specific number produced. This includes bottles also,  like the Paloma Picasso "La Reine" series or Lalique's artisan bottles for example.

Cheers!

SWAP: www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=97807

vincifrisco wrote:
EK wrote:

"What is batch code?

I agree : batch code is often lot number and production date.
I have some Dior perfumes bought in 2011 : the two first digits are production date. 1C859 (1 for 2011, C for March, 859 is the lot number)

My Dior perfumes have completely different batch codes which can't be read this way.

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...
I see you shiver with antici...pation...

I just tried out cosmetics.net with a couple of my perfume's & am very confused as each time I pressed calculate for the same code it told me a different date!!!!!

this seem's a bit dodgy to me & as if a random date is being pulled each time???

"what greater gift........than the love of a Cat"!!!

Puddy Cat wrote:

I just tried out cosmetics.net with a couple of my perfume's & am very confused as each time I pressed calculate for the same code it told me a different date!!!!!

this seem's a bit dodgy to me & as if a random date is being pulled each time???

May you tell me the numbers and perfume brand so I can check and see???

guerlain - se 25j

guerlain - ueo w3

I have just calculated the 2 codes above again & received 2 more different date result's

it gave 1981 for a perfume that wasn't even launched until 2001

so I believe this site to be completely unreliable & inaccurate

Puddy Cat wrote:

I have just calculated the 2 codes above again & received 2 more different date result's

it gave 1981 for a perfume that wasn't even launched until 2001

so I believe this site to be completely unreliable & inaccurate

guerlain - se 25j - ERROR

guerlain - ueo w3 - 2001

The site is not perfect nor does anyone claim it to be, however, all the serial numbers for the brands supported by the website have worked well for me.

Last edited by andgac16 (2013-03-09 16:26:21)

I have put in several codes....for perfumes, lipsticks etc...and nothing comes up...I can't see the answer anywhere. I even put the code in for a brand new lipstick, bought on line, and when i pressed calculate ....nothing. can't figure out where the answer to the code is!

Never be afraid to show your love, Love makes the world go round!