Topic: Unopened and sealed box..Life span?

Hello everyone, On a few of the threads I have read in the past, people were discussing how long certain fragrances last. Or to be more precise, the expiry time. Most people said 3-5 years, but of course we all have perfumes that are still wonderful (of course, if stored properly) which are a lot older than this. Now, this is my question. I read somewhere that http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.455.jpg  Lolita Lempicka L de Lolita Lempicka doesn't seem to last very long, before it turns. Sure, if you have had a small bottle, and used it nearly every day, it would have been used up, before it has turned. I have also heard the juice turns brown in some cases. Does this affect the actual scent? I was wondering, if you have a new, sealed box, stored properly, what would be your opinion, would it last 5 or more years? What is the longest you have had an opened bottle of this perfume? I am curious, as have ordered a larger back-up bottle, and just wanted some opinions!

Thank you, all L Lovers please reply, and everyone else of course!!  20

Never be afraid to show your love, Love makes the world go round!

Re: Unopened and sealed box..Life span?

I don"t know about Lolita, but I am assuming that an unopened, sealed box protected from light and other atmospheric changes may last indefinitely. I don't see why not.

Perfume is the ultimate therapy.

I agree with previous post.

Hi dalmajen,

I can't speak specifically to the lasting time of L,  but I did just finish a bottle of Coco by Chanel that was 15 years old, and it stayed just as nice throughout all that time.  I would think if it was brand new & stored, it would keep forever!

Yes, the juice does get darker, but it doesn't affect the scent.  I don't know why that happens.  It's probably something science-ey.   roll

I suppose it is different from perfume to perfume.

It might depend on the quality of the additives, e.g. the conservants . The higher the quality of ingredients is, the greater is the chance a perfume would last more (see the example of Oh! de parfum)

The colour turning is not an indicator of turning of the juice. It is a process of oxidation of some components. In some cases, only the dyes added to the juice oxidate and turn brown, without affecting the smell. But sometimes also the smelling substances themselves oxidate and change their smell.

You cannot tell this only by eye.

It would all depend on how the bottle was stored. If it is a warehouse subjected to temperature extremes, it could go bad even if it had never been opened.

But it all depends on the perfume...

Last edited by MsMaryO (2012-03-09 15:27:08)

MsMaryO wrote:

It would all depend on how the bottle was stored. If it is a warehouse subjected to temperature extremes, it could go bad even if it had never been opened.

But it all depends on the perfume...

Well.....I just better open it, and use it! (I would hate to open it in say, 3 years, and it had gone off! If it was a 70's perfume, I doubt very much it would go off, sealed in the box) I had many sealed boxes back then, and when opened, say, 5 years later, they were fresh as a daisy! Just not sure about the new formulas today. Thank you.

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.455.jpg   Lolita Lempicka L de Lolita Lempicka's juice does get dark, but scent remains the same.

Yes, some fragrances seem to turn quicker than others. http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.455.jpg Lolita Lempicka L de Lolita Lempicka is definitely one of those fragrances that seems to lose its blue-ish hue rather quickly. But I don't think it necessarily affects how it smells,.... It just doesn't look as appealing. There are quite a number of others like this such as http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.1151.jpg Mariah Carey M , but again, I just think it makes it look less attractive, that's all. And as I'm sure you've already heard this, but for the most part, perfumes will stay next to perfect, provided they stay in their box in a cool room with no sunlight being able to come in at all. The sun and light (and temperature changes) are what ruins it, just like our skin. That is why I hate the sun, it is my enemy.  46

I love ya, Simon. RIP my little buddy. 08/03 - 06/30/14

Perfumes are expected to last 4-5 years depending on how they are kept I work in a fragrance store && we tell people that if they would like to preserve there fragrances before use store them in cool places away from direct light or you can even store them in the bottom of your fridge, this will have no effect on the fragrance...Fragrances can even go stale when sealed if they're not taken care of. As for a fragrance changing colors that usually means the perfume is getting a lil' older doesn't necessarily mean its bad its exactly what mirunacatowl said its a process of 'oxidation'. You can usually tell when a fragrance has gone sour by a difference in smell. If you had a fragrance for years that still smells the same most deff. use it! but if you notice a diff smell that means your fragrance is starting to stale && is crossing over && its time to lay it to rest b/c it will not smell the same when you go to wear it. There are quite a number of fragrances that go bad faster then others it really just comes down to judging by smell if its bad or not!  glad

Last edited by AmoreProfumi (2012-03-09 16:42:33)

Thank you all for the answers! Yes, I do, and have always stored my perfumes in a dark place, and always keep them boxed. It's just that I have been reading a lot about the newer formulations, and quite frankly, they just don't sound as they have that (old time) lasting power! I had also read that L changed color, and was just curious about that as well. I am very fortunate, as I have never had a fragrance go off. But, as I have said in previous threads, I never had more than 3 or 4 fragrances opened at one time, as I always knew I could replace it ( like opium, dior's etc.) Now I have just received 20 new samples, and will keep them stored as well, if don't use them up!

here's a good website to check the expiration date of major cosmetics brands

www.CheckCosmetic.net

I've done the same and have an 80ml back up of L for when my 30ml runs out. Fingers crossed they keep well.

Sealed and in a box, could last for decades (just repeating what every one else said)

I just bought a Prince Matchabelli gift set, 2 EDCs, one very light coloured, kept in a box that has windows (so not directly hidden from light) and the woman told me she did not think it was well taken care of and the only thing that was off were the initial top notes when I first opened it, after that the top notes were fine, perfume smells perfect.

The bottles were from the 50s. So I would say most bottles that were well taken care of would last a VERY long time. That being said, perfumes were made with better quality ingredients back then, not sure how well new perfumes will age.

Last edited by mi-jo.sayegh (2013-05-31 07:28:46)