Topic: Is it legal to ship fragrances using USPS?

I shipped out some fragrances, today, and noticed at my local PO there was a poster with "hazardous materials" listed.

When I got home, I went to USPS.com and noticed that "perfumes" are considered a hazardous material.

The ladies at our PO always ask if I have anything perishable, fragile, or hazardous.  I just came to realize fragrance is considered "hazardous".  Nowhere on the website can I find a definitive answer if they're prohibited by mail.  I know companies mail using USPS so I wouldn't think they would be, but they do ask the question when you're shipping and it has to be illegal to say, "no", if you know you're shipping hazardous items which the USPS does consider fragrance.

Does anyone know for certain what rules apply?  I thought I saw a thread about this, recently, but I couldn't find it, so forgive the extra thread on the subject.

Re: Is it legal to ship fragrances using USPS?

USPS -They will ship fragrances, but only via ground, not by air mail. Probably their meaning of hazardous is "flammable".

They go on a truck. That, of course, takes longer, and sometimes the package gets a little damaged.

I never lie about it, and pay for ground shipping. (Use plenty of bubble wrap.)

Last edited by Udaria (2012-04-16 17:10:41)

JR topic Help http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76582
CL topic Help http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76398

To my understanding, fragrances have to be shipped ground.  I THINK you can ship using usps, but it has to go in a truck??  I've been shipping ups.  They ask me what it is, and I do tell them.  There has never been a problem.  I have yet to try at usps, but my local post office seems to be pretty strict.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to ship outside the US.  Obviously, I can't send that ground.

I am selling all the perfumes in my "had" section.  Please pm me if interested in anything.  US only.  Thanks.  :)

The only way I was able to ship outside the U.S. - from Flushing, New York - was to order at FragranceX.com or FragranceNet.com  - somehow they succeed at shipping / I don't know how - and give a different shipping address and have them ship it there, and that took like 3 months !!

JR topic Help http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76582
CL topic Help http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76398

jillhare wrote:

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to ship outside the US. Obviously, I can't send that ground.

It's usually called surface mail and if it has to go internationally it will go by sea, which is one of the reasons it takes so long.

belle histoire

I recently shipped fragrances to Canada and Greece via USPS, but then again, I listed the items as grooming products, and a "gift" to avoid customs charge. I had no problems.

Every day I die again and again I'm reborn.

I ask the people at the counter if it's ok that I ship perfume

They always say it's fine

and just mark the package with "liquid"

I've only sent overseas once but I also asked if it was ok they said it was and I just filled out the customs form stating that it was perfume, how many oz, and that it was gift.

Bubble wrapping everything is important they have checked for proper packaging before.

It has to be shipped ground - there is a poster at all US post offices stating 250-300,000( what a wide range) for shipping hazardous materials one of which they consider perfume .

Last edited by goingblonde (2012-04-16 20:29:52)

~Fight The Good Fight ~~

I ship through an automated postal kiosk within the post office because I am not usually awake during business hours. There is a screen asking if there is anything perishable, fragile, or hazardous; I read through everything and it did not mention liquid at all, let alone perfume, which I thought was weird. So I've been shipping my perfumes through them.

I receive boxes clearly labeled FRAGRANCE from Fragrancenet.com and they are definitely shipped by air. Neither my post office (if I pick up) nor mail person bat an eye.

Now, I guesssss they could think the box blazing FRAGRANCE is something other than fragrance (body lotion, soap) but I doubt it.

It almost feels like some type of don't ask don't tell policy when shipping out as an individual (not business)

It just depends on how comfortable your conscious is tiptoeing across that grey area.

......and yes, according to my postal clerks, it is against USPS policy to ship hazardous material/flammable, which is what they consider fragrance due to the alcohol content, by air.

Last edited by onaona (2012-04-17 04:01:01)

A cold sweat hot-headed believer....

yeah,where I live it's considered illegal.that's why I can't swap with my friends  in fragrantica.that sucks!

My post office won't take perfume ground no matter what. It makes me so mad. Their freakin' web site says that it's okay to ship it ground.  75

Last edited by Pink_Ruffles (2013-08-03 17:44:35)

"It is my conviction that there is no way to peace - peace is the way." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

jaimy_machá wrote:
onaona wrote:

don't ask don't tell

There are many things that every single one of you do that is considered "illegal."

You are paying money for a service. They do NOT need to know anything about what you are shipping. It is a fear based control tactic.

There is nothing hazardous about perfume.

+1

Guys, how could perfumes be hazardous if you are allowed to have them in your checked baggage on a plane!?! I have had several perfumes in my luggage before and no one gave a s... Only aerosols are prohibited because they can burst.

These rules make me so mad...

Last edited by ditush (2013-08-03 18:14:12)

Was I glad to see this topic in the general discussion today.  I just got into it with a seller on eBay when it took eleven days to receive a purchase because I've received other purchases in a matter of days.  Now I understand.  Some of them are shipping through regular means and she shipped it via ground.  The point about taking fragrances in carry-on bags and packing them in your luggage and checking it in when flying crossed my mind too.  What is the difference?  Anyone know the answer?  If so, please share it.

The same fire that melts butter forges the finest steel.

They Live!

Muahahaha.....

1/1/2015:  I have a perfume swap listing over in the Perfume Exchange section.  Interesting stuff is listed over there.

Almost all of my online perfume purchases, whether from individuals or Overstock.com or some other site have been shipped to me priority mail. That means it is sent airmail and not ground.  Very few Ebay sellers have sent my purchase ground...the rest just don't tell.

Strange that shipping perfumes has only become "dangerous" in the last few years. I am sure it has something to do with terrorism,

“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” ? C.S. Lewis

Swedish post don't mention perfume in their list of "dangerous goods". It's a little annoying Royal mail among others do list it and make it tougher to buy perfume online.

Døtt meg i dåsa, nå har a Siri Senkeset fått seg playboy bag

Oh, yeah. Any one of us could be probably loosely termed "terrorist" if our paranoid government decided they had case against us.

Have some leftover fireworks front he 4th? I do.

Have a ton of high powered alcohol in "disguise as perfume collecting?" I do.

Have an old battery & some jumper cables. Electrical conduit from renovations. A Christmas tree light timer.

I ship "suspicious packages" overseas & receive them all of the time.

Guess....

I'd bet that's "probable cause" enough if they had reason to believe I'm an asshole.

it freakes me out a bit! My post used to not care what I was shipping. Very small town. No stop lights. Now they ask specifically about perfume. I was told "ground ship only".

Last edited by Yourfoxiness (2013-08-03 22:00:22)

"And though pigs can fly, They'll never find me Posing as the night, And I'm home before the morning." -Kate Bush

I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone, and the people at my PO never give me trouble about mailing small perfume samples (the only kind I've mailed yet).

They're required to ask you the "liquid, perishable...etc" question, and when I answer "Yes, perfume", they just wave their hands in a "doesn't matter" gesture. They've never checked packaging or marked "liquid" on the packages either.

Last edited by drouhin (2013-08-03 22:11:53)

Ok so here is my 2 cents. One of the ladies at the PO told me that it was ok to send fragrances ground not airmail. I asked her why? She said, because its flammable and can possibly cause an explosion. I just looked at her, seriously? Didn't say anything else. Just smiled and nodded.

This to me is the biggest bull I've ever heard. So u mean to tell me, when I take a 7 hr airplane ride to Portugal, or even a 2 hr ride to Florida. I take 3 or 4 of my perfumes with me, and I'm sure almost every single woman/man on that plane are carrying fragrances with them too. The airline even carries perfumes with them for us to buy when we take international flights. So you mean to tell me with all those perfume bottles that are on that one plane, we can't ship perfume airmail because it might explode?? I've never heard of an airplane exploding or catching fire because a bottle of perfume exploded.

Edit:

I just read that some of you ladies said about the same thing.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. glad

Last edited by Lee79 (2013-08-03 23:46:12)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix

The reason we can receive packages of fragrance from online retailers and have them shipped priority is that they have a license to ship said "dangerous goods".

According to my local post office I can ship up to 16 oz of perfume ground. This is in line with the information I've read on USPS. If your local post office employees are telling you that shipping perfume is just plain illegal within the US, and it happens, bring a print out of USPS policies on the matter.

It is not permitted to ship perfume internationally via USPS, but you can use a courier service (pricey) or simply omit and cross your fingers your package isn't seized by customs. It's not highly likely, but it can happen so one has to be willing to assume the risk.

From USPS:

Perfume − Perfume containing alcohol is prohibited on air transportation, and can only be shipped domestically via surface transportation. Perfume containing alcohol is prohibited in international shipments.

the spice must flow

Ground is okay. Air is not.

I agree that it's stupid you can take a trip and bring perfume with you but it can't be shipped on a plane that only carries packages...

Swap: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=93254

See, why is it that many of you have no issue shipping perfume ground at your post office while the lady at my post office turned me away? I told her about what the website said and she just smiled at me and said "sorry." I stormed out, thinking "you've lost my business". And hey, the post offices are supposedly struggling to stay in business and here they are turning away packages even though I'm following their rules attempting to ship it ground.  skitarg

"It is my conviction that there is no way to peace - peace is the way." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

I ship what the regulatory agencies term "dangerous goods" quite frequently by sea and air.  The US primarily follows the 49 Code of Federal Regulations and for international air transport, IATA regulations are usually the lead document.  Perfume falls under the proper shipping name of Perfumery Products.  You would only use this term if you were shipping 15 liters by air or a smaller amount in each package, deemed a limited quantity.  The large distributors are declaring big shipments to the airlines, or using what is called an ORM (other regulated material).  Most of you have seen cardboard boxes with a small blue label that reads "ORM-D" which allowed these items to ship domestically (within the US) by air.  International carriers don't use ORM labeling. 

The average postal clerk is not trained nor familiar with proper packaging and labeling of dangerous goods for air shipment, so they may turn you away.  What most of you really have is really less than what is called an excepted quantity - usually you still have to declare it to the airline but the normally required specification packaging labeling is 'excepted' and you don't have to find/pay a certified person to fill out the paperwork.   Because they don't understand the rules, it is easier to turn you away than to accept these goods.   The post offices letting you send it rather than turn you back understand that your quantities are not the ones required to be packaged a certain way and labeled to meet CFR and IATA regulations.

It's not just perfume.  It's small batteries, medicines, etc. too that companies will refuse to ship by air.  It's too much trouble for the average ebay-based vendor to navigate.   There are also stiff penalties for those who break the regulations.  Did a plane ever have issues over a small 30 ml bottle of perfume?  Probably not.  But imagine how many uninformed persons try to ship paint, liters of solvents, corrosive batteries, etc. every day.  Look how many pocketknives get confiscated at airports every day!

SixSidedTippy wrote:

Was I glad to see this topic in the general discussion today. I just got into it with a seller on eBay when it took eleven days to receive a purchase because I've received other purchases in a matter of days. Now I understand. Some of them are shipping through regular means and she shipped it via ground. The point about taking fragrances in carry-on bags and packing them in your luggage and checking it in when flying crossed my mind too. What is the difference? Anyone know the answer? If so, please share it.

Because when you hand carry them, the airline can see what you have rather than it being an unknown item in the cargo hold.  We recently shipped equipment with lithium batteries, normally no big deal.  We had to remove the batteries from the equipment (which went as cargo/freight) and hand carry the batteries on board by taping over the terminals and allowing the airline personnel to inspect them at check in.  Otherwise, they are afraid they would turn on equipment during transport or rub against something and start a fire.  Sometimes the rules do seem absurd but there is usually some valid reason behind them.  Perfume in your luggage, in the baggage hold, 99.9% of the time is not going to cause an issue.  But if your plane is flying over the ocean and the .01% chance of something causing a spark occurs, they'd rather put out a fire in the passenger compartment than have a problem in the baggage compartment that they can't get to.