Topic: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

I heard usually 2-3 years but on some it can be up to 6 years.

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

It depends on the fragrance, the ingredients and how it is stored.  Any fragrance stored out of its box in direct sunlight isn't going to last more than a few months at most.

But if stored in a dark, cool environment and the ingredients are the type not to decay easily, then you might get well over 10 years.  Some vintages can last for dozens of years, stored properly.

30

If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.
Swaps: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=48115

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

BONJOUR.You can see on their package a small open box with a number inside,usually 12 or 36,which states how many months the perfume lasts.It is better if you finish the perfume in 2-5 years.

Carpe Diem.

nikosculpture's Website

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

It depends on the quality of the ingredients, the bottle, type.. If kept properly, I believe it can last forever.

It was said top notes can become harsh,they change dramatically...I've experienced this also.

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

I agree with darkclarissa .

right scent triggers right sense by malik2011

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

I haven't kept a perfume bottle longer than 2 years, but the bottle of Nina Ricci I have from 2009 still smells good. The sprayer smells like wood but the perfume smells like when I first got it.

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

DarkClarissa wrote:

It depends on the fragrance, the ingredients and how it is stored. Any fragrance stored out of its box in direct sunlight isn't going to last more than a few months at most.

But if stored in a dark, cool environment and the ingredients are the type not to decay easily, then you might get well over 10 years. Some vintages can last for dozens of years, stored properly.

  30

I have fragrances that are older than 10 years and they still in good condition BUT i keep them like vampires avoiding sunlight.

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

I'm always looking for vintage perfumes and have bought several.  I have yet to get any that are spoiled in any way, even though I will never know what that bottle has been through.  My personal vintage is my Poeme, it is dated 1996 and it smells like the day I bought it. It has sat on my dresser but not in direct sunlight.

Nothing smells better then a freshly bathed Sheltie!

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

Senzadite wrote:
DarkClarissa wrote:

It depends on the fragrance, the ingredients and how it is stored. Any fragrance stored out of its box in direct sunlight isn't going to last more than a few months at most.

But if stored in a dark, cool environment and the ingredients are the type not to decay easily, then you might get well over 10 years. Some vintages can last for dozens of years, stored properly.

  30

I have fragrances that are older than 10 years and they still in good condition BUT i keep them like vampires avoiding sunlight.

Me too, sunlight is one of the worst things, for perfumes... that and humidity.. no keeping them in bathrooms!

Check out my swap list on profile!

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

I keep my perfumes on a shelf in my room away from sunlight. They seem to last about 3 years just fine. I have only had a few perfumes turn on me before. However if you have an atomizer bottle they seem to go bad much quicker due to the exposure to air. Infact my bottle of beyonce heat rush is an atomizer and it seems to evaporate from the bottle quicker than I can use it up.

epicurean enthusiast, sushi chef, obsessive, amateur scientist, INTJ/INFJ, honeybadger, slob, odd duck, and I'm running out of adjectives

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

Thanks niko for that helpful tip !

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

I have quite a few vintages from for the 80s and 90s which are perfectly fine.

The oldest perfumes that purchased new date from 2007....nothing turned so far.

Last edited by olga1780 (2012-05-04 07:36:15)

olga1780's Website

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

keep it out of the light, especially sunlight! always keep the lid on it at all times after use and it may last you a long time, when the seasons change I only place the bottles Im going to use mainly on my dresser while the rest stay in a basket Im now gonna place under my bed and save them for the other seasons or when I just feel like smelling it

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

nikosculpture wrote:

BONJOUR.You can see on their package a small open box with a number inside,usually 12 or 36,which states how many months the perfume lasts.It is better if you finish the perfume in 2-5 years.

This is really interesting, you now have me frantically checking all my boxes. The thing with this though is...there's no way to tell how old the stock is that you bought from the suppier. They could have had that stock for ages sitting in their stockroom.

I CAN'T BRAIN TODAY..I HAVE THE DUMB.
I now have a perfume review channel on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/ouch110

Ouch!'s Website

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

You can also check this website to see when they expire.  Unfortunately, it only has the main brands.

I am selling all the perfumes in my "had" section.  Please pm me if interested in anything.  US only.  Thanks.  :)

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

BONJOUR.You are right about that ouch.Unfortunately it is not written on the package the day of production.

Carpe Diem.

nikosculpture's Website

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

jillhare wrote:

You can also check this website to see when they expire. Unfortunately, it only has the main brands.



Which site do you mean?

I CAN'T BRAIN TODAY..I HAVE THE DUMB.
I now have a perfume review channel on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/ouch110

Ouch!'s Website

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

I keep mine in darkness away from sunlight and extreme heat (although it does get hot where I live) and keep lids on.

I've never had a frag turn on me yet. My oldest is a eau de cologne a friend bought me for my 18th birthday; I'll be 30 this year, and it still smells like when she gave it to me. Others I've had for 5 years or so, still good.

On the other hand; best before dates are a "guide" for me, and I have eaten 10 year out of date rainbow sprinkles before (with no ill effects in case you were wondering).  vissla

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

Hey Ouch!

dont worry about your stock being old... They dates are meant to represent their expirey after commencing use.. And they start to turn when over half the bottle is used as there is more air in there to interact with the ingredients.

Remember alcohol is a preservative, I have my widom teeth in metho from 2001 and they are fine glad And Vodka doesnt go off does it?...

Good perfumes stay good if you look after them. when they change/sour it is generally the top notes that change and the base notes stay true.

I specifically hunted an old bottle of Hypnotic Poison and it is lovely.

also old brown Shalimars are an absolute holy grail for some glad

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

Ouch! wrote:
nikosculpture wrote:

BONJOUR.You can see on their package a small open box with a number inside,usually 12 or 36,which states how many months the perfume lasts.It is better if you finish the perfume in 2-5 years.

This is really interesting, you now have me frantically checking all my boxes. The thing with this though is...there's no way to tell how old the stock is that you bought from the suppier. They could have had that stock for ages sitting in their stockroom.



Most manufacturers use  Roman calendar date coding methods:

12128 = May 8 2012 (12)-2012 (128)-the 128th day or May 8th.

There might be letters before or after signifying lots and other info, sometimes the code is in reverse (12812) but usually the first or the last digits indicate year of production.

Of course the years cycle and sometimes the year digit is only 1# like "2" which could be 1992 or 2002 or 2012 and then it gets tricky.

These are only general guidelines however, and you must judge according to when the fragrance was launched or relaunched for example and what better place to find out than here  45

Also, L'oreal uses letters to indicate the year of prduction.

ex 38H600 here H indicates 2010 I believe. A friend who works for the company told me that "X" was used for 2000 and the letters progress accordingly ex: Y-2001, Z-2002, A-2003, B-2004 etc.

Hope this helps guys,

Cheers!

Last edited by Linden (2012-05-08 21:06:50)

SWAP: fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=111477

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

i have the vintage formulation of must de cartier...

it sure still smell good... i think perfumes that last are those that are eau de parfum since there's more oil concentration to it compared to eau de toilette which are more alcohol based...

Great sillage, projection and longevity is only what i consider "perfume"

jeffersonfaudan's Website

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

I have a bunch from the 90's, no issue so far

I avoid no cap testers however, due to evaporation

Be not weary in well doing, for in due season you shall reap, if you faint not.

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

depends.

storage is key, temperature control, dark and opaque bottles also give some protection, more volatile molecules go first, etc.

bottom line, my oldest is over 75 years old, and it is fine, i wear it fairly often.

"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

If you keep your fragrances in their boxes, somewhere dark, cool and dry they will last you for years glad I've never had a fragrance go off and i've some that are over 8 years old.

In search of  Violet fumes, can you suggest any?
Love; Apres L'Ondee, Tuca Tuca, Kenzo Flower.   Dislike; Insolence, Love in Black.

Re: How long do fragrances last in their bottles?

It's really hit and miss. I have a bottle of http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.3016.jpg  Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Girl from the mid 90's that never turned on me. It still has about 30% left in the bottle and smells the same. However I bought a bottle of http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.5359.jpg  Victoria`s Secret Sexy Little Things Noir last Christmas and not only did it evaporate because of the atomizer but it had green mold in the plastic tubing. You can extend the life of the perfume by storing it properly but in my experience it depends on the quality and care of the perfume.



Ive only ever had 2 perfumes go bad on me

Last edited by missmaggiebeth (2014-01-21 15:37:35)

Don't let your day be a waste of perfume.