Topic: what is the difference (in notes) between men and women's perfumes?

I have been trying to figure out what it is that makes a perfume for men or a perfume for women. The only difference I have so far noticed is the general lack of floral notes in men's perfumes and lack of aromatics (not sure what those are, but apparently lavender and various herbs fit the bill) in women's perfumes. But then we have the unisex perfumes in which it seems there are no rules or guidelines. Can someone help?

Rania

Reputation is what others know about you, honor is what you know about yourself.

Re: what is the difference (in notes) between men and women's perfumes?

That is generally true these days, though I'd add "hard" wood notes to the mix (that being in "masculine" fragrances usually). In "feminines" the wood is usually softer, powdery, etc. Also, masculine fruit notes are generally sharper (citrus especially). There's an accord that is common to many older masculine fragrances that includes cedar, amber, and patchouli that I think is not only considered masculine but also "old" or "grandpa."

Last edited by Bigsly (2012-05-10 20:09:18)

Thank you so much.

May I ask another question? What are hard woods?

Last edited by MaggieKat (2012-05-10 21:07:21)

Reputation is what others know about you, honor is what you know about yourself.

There are some notes that are difficult to find in women's fragrances. One is clary sage, which I absolutely love the smell of (in its essential oil form). Cedar appears in men's frags much more often than in women's. Coriander, tobacco...there are several.

Notes can appear in both, but how they're blended and in what proportion make the difference in smells.

Happiness is an unattended department store perfume counter, stocked with plenty of paper blotters, testers, and empty drams.

BONJOUR.There are no male,female or unisex perfumes.What matters is the composition and notes of a perfume which may match or not your skin.Male perfumes have floral notes but are not so intense.If you search you would see that there are no female perfumes in some olfactory families,for example aquatic-woody.A woman has more options because she can wear many male perfumes.

Carpe Diem.

nikosculpture's Website

Thanks Nikosculpture and Pollyjean. I was kind of getting worried about myself because these days I am finding that I am enjoying the unisex perfumes (it is the easiest way to identify them as a group with aromatics and hardwoods and spices) far more than those that are considered strictly female ?

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.2539.jpg Yves Saint Laurent Jazz - why worry? you like what you like & should choose what smells nice on your skin & is pleasing to you. perfume should be a bit of fun, to add pleasure to your day.  I've worn 'mens' products in the past, I used to particularly like Jazz - when it was newly out & came in a black & white bottle...

MaggieKat wrote:

Thanks Nikosculpture and Pollyjean. I was kind of getting worried about myself because these days I am finding that I am enjoying the unisex perfumes (it is the easiest way to identify them as a group with aromatics and hardwoods and spices) far more than those that are considered strictly female ?

Last edited by rainbow.owl2 (2012-05-11 12:45:44)

mmmmm. time for a Drambuie.

Thank you all.

Generally, the "masculine" wood notes are more obvious and can be sharper as well.  In "feminine" fragrances with wood, the wood notes are less noticeable or can be powdery.  Vetiver is another note that is "hard" in masculines but usually much softer in feminines that list the note (and that you can detect).

So basically any women's perfumes that have a woody note in them will be powdery?

MaggieKat wrote:

So basically any women's perfumes that have a woody note in them will be powdery?

Not necessarily. The fragrance could just have a low, warm hum to it in the background (during the drydown) or go in a different direction. It could contain wood notes but the base for each particular fragrance might be described as buttery, vanillic, ambery, dusty, animalic, or something else.

Also, many times, just because a wood note is found in a men's fragrance, doesn't mean it's doing all the talking (so to speak). It might be paired with other notes that will enhance its strength (like leather).

Go to a health food store, and smell essential oils for sandalwood, rosewood, cypress, cedar, etc. Not all are made with just the wood parts, but it gives you the idea and enhances recognition when you come across it in a fume.

Sandalwood is a great example of that warm, low hum.

Happiness is an unattended department store perfume counter, stocked with plenty of paper blotters, testers, and empty drams.

Masculine fragrance use subtle floral notes, while feminine fragrances tend to use both subtle and overt florals. Also, there's fewer sweet fruits in masculines of yesteryear - not so nowadays, though.

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/

I love http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.153.jpg Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme   for men but once I put it on it radiated on me like crazy and people couldn't stand next to me..is there any way to put it on but make it radiate less?

I know women who tend to wear men perfumes and they don't radiate as much. Is it just this one or maybe my skin?

there are certain notes that i associate more with men's scents, namely cedar and lavender. that said, i love cedar in my scents and would happily wear many men's scents.

... minus fougeres ("aromatics"). i haven't come across one i feel like i could wear yet...

I wish they'd stop restricting men's aftershaves in particular, because an awful lot of them smell very 'samey'. The aqua/calone note, or tonnes of lime or lavender, all the many many sportsy smells. How many times have I seen a handsome man who's wearing something generic when he could wear something that really suits him and brings out his attractive qualities?!

For example, a friend of mine who's tall, dark and handsome, quite quiet, sensitive, lovely colouring, and he wears a sports aftershave, what a pity when he'd do great with a soft tobacco/vanilla/cedar/sandalwood combo

Anyway, I'd tend to say the sportsy aftershaves are more male, and women are not likely to wear those as much.

woodlandwalk's Website