Topic: rollerball bottles & decanting

hello!

has anyone used rollerball bottles (designed to be used for essential oils) with edt or edp spray fragrances? I'm thinking of buying some of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-X-3-ML-ROL … _665wt_952 (this is an ebay link)

to use with some of my perfumes, or possibly to use to send decants to people.

has anyone tried doing this? did it work?

Last edited by rainbow.owl2 (2012-06-10 09:48:59)

I say!  It's Pimm's O'Clock!

Re: rollerball bottles & decanting

I have a few rollerballs that I decanted in to them. Sorry for awkward sentence! I like it for my stronger fragrances, such as Opium. To me, the rollerball application stays closer to the skin.

I have not had problem with leaking, it is convenient to put in your purse or through airline security.

I also have rollerball that the perfume company put together. It is a nice way to test a fragrance without breaking the bank!

"Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops of it on yourself" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I use them, I get them pretty cheap. I send them as extras in swaps. I give decants to family and friends in them. I never use them to send fragrance in a swap because some people don't like the way skin gets into rollerball bottles. I send them empty and unused so the receiver will know that the bottle is not contaminated. I tend to buy the 2.5 ml bottles with different colored caps and/ or different colored stones on the top.

Give and it shall come back to you Good Measure~Pressed Down~Shaken Together ~Runneth Over You can learn a lot from a dummy.

I have about 8 or 9 small rollerballs and small atomizers.  The atomizers I bought for about $5 from Nordstrom's.  They are probably cheaper on ebay!!  It got to the point where I couldn't remember which perfume was which because nothing is marked.  I decided to create labels using my label maker.  It is a great way to carry around perfume so that you can spray throughout the day.  My fav scent does not last long on my skin even with layering so I refresh as needed.  Hope this helps!!

Udaria buys them often as decants and since she mentioned them frequently, these piqued my interest as I like dipsticks too.. whenever I'd want to buy larger decants these would be my first choice!

Also contemplated whether you can buy them so as to decant the full bottles I do have into them, since spraying is not my preferred way of application! But since full bottles often are so hard to uncap, decided not to bother.. so will be very interested in how you will like it.

The other problem is how to label them.. love love the way the TPC girls do it with transparent labels !

"The result was not a diet so much as an invasion—the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

thanks for your answers!  I've got a small roller ball bottle of http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.10888.jpg Givenchy Very Irresistible Givenchy L’Intense that I got in a gift set & I like it a lot, & thought I would give these a try.

I have roller ball bottles that I've decanted some scents into.  Just a word of caution:  I have found when the little ball part of the roller-ball is made of plastic, after a while it can make the scent smell a bit plasticky.  Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't. 

Here's a good site for decanting supplies:

http://www.pilotvials.com/

All good things come to an end...

no, not a plasticky smell. that could have a lot to do with the company that manufactures the plastic parts. hubs & i worked in a plastics injection molding plant for a while. learned a lot about plastic..lol there are some kinds that oils will begin to break down/bond with. perhaps this company is using too cheap of plastic parts. i have ordered rollerballs from accessoriesforfragrances.com (not affiliated) their rollerballs were plastic tips, with glass bottoms & different colored lids. ive found that mostly theyre fine, but can leak if you are somewhere warm, or if the air pressure changes quickly, they will kind of put out too much when u use it next, and was kind of wasteful i think. this was with edp perfumes. husband has a rollerball of kiehl's pour homme oil (bought at Nordstroms) and it leaked too with air pressure change. i changed to a product i found at walmart believe it or not.

beauty to go "scent genie". it has a little rubber thing in the bottom, you take the cap off of your perfume, and pump it on the bottom, the fragrance goes right in with no wasted spritzes. this baby is AIR TIGHT! i cannot smell my fragrance evaporating wastefully, no leakage, nice even sprays from it, airplane approved. its my new favorite thing. they cost about 4$ each. and for myself im going to use my frags in this, because i looooove them. and dont want to waste a drop of my favorites. it broke my heart to see & smell my vintage niki de st phalle evaporating & leaking away out of rollerballs. oils work pretty well. but at least here in Nebraska with the constant air pressure & temperature changes due to weather, ima stick with the scent genie to keep every precious drop safe!

Last edited by Yourfoxiness (2012-06-10 20:39:09)

"And though pigs can fly, They'll never find me Posing as the night, And I'm home before the morning." -Kate Bush

I buy small (1ml) steel-ball rollerballs from Accessories for Fragrances and use them to apply some fragrances that are so strong that even one spray is too much for my taste.  I have not found them to leak.

(edited to correct the link)

http://www.affwebshop.com/servlet/the-R … Categories

Of course they sell other sizes, too, with the plastic rollerballs.

Last edited by 30 Roses (2012-06-10 20:37:59)

thanks for your recommendations, but I'm after somewhere in the UK.

I've got some Travelos already, maybe I should should stick with them if the roller balls can leak. has anyone used the non-branded ones?  I've seen quite a few of them on ebay also.

Yes, I would also love to know ever to get these in UK? And....ehm hem...how do you actually decant a perfume  35 especially if your existing bottle does not open?

Adjuvate!Adjuvate!Adjuvate!
My WANT shelf is for SWAP in UK!

Sucarie wrote:

When I was in Sephora shopping for perfume I asked the sales rep for a sample of a fragrance and she didn't have one. To my surprise she pulled out a generic sample vial and filled it with the desired fragrance. Is this a normal practice in department stores? If I bring my own sample bottle can I decant my own sample? Or should I ask first? Or is it even rude to ask? Sorry  yikes ftopic:

This is a very good question, Sucarie! I will answer your off-topic question with an off-top answer. wink Sephora has been making samples for some time now--I'm sure doing so encourages a customer to buy from them. Nordstrom has bins with empty spray vials that you can even fill yourself with any fragrance you like.

Life is a road, and I want to keep going; Love is a river I wanna keep flowing.
Life is a road, Now and forever, wonderful journey.

smelling_gr8 wrote:

Yes, I would also love to know ever to get these in UK? And....ehm hem...how do you actually decant a perfume  35 especially if your existing bottle does not open?

I think if the neck was wide enough, like a roller ball, you could just spray it in.

The travelo works as a kind of pump action - you have to be able to pull the sprayer off the top of your perfume bottle & then insert the nozzle into the bottom of the travelo & squirt it in. works very well.

rainbow.owl2 wrote:
smelling_gr8 wrote:

I think if the neck was wide enough, like a roller ball, you could just spray it in.

The travelo works as a kind of pump action - you have to be able to pull the sprayer off the top of your perfume bottle & then insert the nozzle into the bottom of the travelo & squirt it in. works very well.

Well I was just looking at my bottles and none of them, apart from Womanity which is a refillable bottle and Philosophy Pure Grace, have the spray top that can be unscrewed  hmm Or am I looking at it wrong???

If you are spraying the perfume into some container, does it not take ages and do you not waist a lot like that?

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.14647.jpg  Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Summer 2012 - you see the silver sprayer on the top of this? you pull it right off - yes, that's right! underneath is a little strong plastic tube. you pop your travelo firmly onto that - there is a valve underneath the travelo for this purpose. then you pump the travelo up and down and the perfume squirts into it. once the travelo is full (there is a 'window' on the side) you pull it off & put your sprayer back onto your perfume. it doesn't take long & there is no leaks. I've done it with the scent pictured.

I couldn't get the sprayer off this one http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.222.jpg  Dior Dolce Vita and aliens like this http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.6732.jpg  Thierry Mugler Alien Liqueur de Parfum don't have a sprayer that comes off.

I've not tried with a roller ball bottle, but I think if the neck was wide enough you could put it directly over the sprayer & squirt it right in. but I have to say I've not tried it.

edit - here is travelo's website - with pictures to show you what I mean - http://www.travalo.com/

Last edited by rainbow.owl2 (2012-06-11 07:56:21)

hmm Sounds such a pallaver lol but thanks for letting me know  buga

smelling_gr8 wrote:

hmm Sounds such a pallaver lol but thanks for letting me know  buga

really? I think they're fabulously convenient myself! wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same!

and you're welcome for the info x

Yourfoxiness wrote:

no, not a plasticky smell. that could have a lot to do with the company that manufactures the plastic parts. hubs & i worked in a plastics injection molding plant for a while. learned a lot about plastic..lol there are some kinds that oils will begin to break down/bond with. perhaps this company is using too cheap of plastic parts. i have ordered rollerballs from accessoriesforfragrances.com (not affiliated) their rollerballs were plastic tips, with glass bottoms & different colored lids. ive found that mostly theyre fine, but can leak if you are somewhere warm, or if the air pressure changes quickly, they will kind of put out too much when u use it next, and was kind of wasteful i think. this was with edp perfumes. husband has a rollerball of kiehl's pour homme oil (bought at Nordstroms) and it leaked too with air pressure change. i changed to a product i found at walmart believe it or not.

beauty to go "scent genie". it has a little rubber thing in the bottom, you take the cap off of your perfume, and pump it on the bottom, the fragrance goes right in with no wasted spritzes. this baby is AIR TIGHT! i cannot smell my fragrance evaporating wastefully, no leakage, nice even sprays from it, airplane approved. its my new favorite thing. they cost about 4$ each. and for myself im going to use my frags in this, because i looooove them. and dont want to waste a drop of my favorites. it broke my heart to see & smell my vintage niki de st phalle evaporating & leaking away out of rollerballs. oils work pretty well. but at least here in Nebraska with the constant air pressure & temperature changes due to weather, ima stick with the scent genie to keep every precious drop safe!

Cool! I just googled scent genie beauty to go but I can't find a direct link to any scent genie website. The one I did find didn't work. Where do you buy these?

Swap: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=93254