Topic: Tester smelling stronger than the actual perfume

Hi fragranticans, i recently tested Chanel Coco EDT (only EDT was available), i sprayed the tester once and it lasted the whole day even through i washed my wrist, I later bought Coco however i find that the actual perfume now is somewhat weaker. I  have experienced this with Shalimar, and Shalimar Initial as well as other perfumes. Now I've read some comments on this site concerning this but does anyone have any proof by way of articles or any insider knowledge that companies make the tester stronger, I also checked the testers, they say EDT and not EDP. Is this my imagination or what?

Re: Tester smelling stronger than the actual perfume

I wonder if the tester bottle is an older bottle?

If so, it could be the pre-reformulated version of the scent.  Most scents, including Chanel, have been reformulated in recent months/years and the newer versions are a bit more toned down, less long-lasting.

Just a guess, but if they aren't lying about it: perhaps the exposure to light & heat makes the alcohol inside evaporate for a bit and make the remaining fragrance more concentrated?

"The result was not a diet so much as an invasion—the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Most testers sit there wihtout a cap, and while they are pretty well sealed, I do think that some evaporation occurs,so the actual juice inside gets more concentrated over time. This is why I believe some testers smell stronger than the actual product.

Be nice!

oh, and think about it, even testers with cap, they are open or sprayed way more often than by one person at home, so yes, I think it's a matter of evaporation.

At home, I have some perfumes that were started but not used much and through the years they all tend to become stronger and a little empty , even if not used enough to justify the empty bottle

Be nice!

I've never experienced that. Sorry you're having problems with the samples. That's very odd. Maybe it has something with the bottle sitting out for weeks to months in the light?

Swap: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=93254

Interesting!

I've ALWAYS thought that testers are stronger and last way longer than the actual fragrances...

Once in a perfume shop, a SA even confirmed it, although I don't know if I can trust his opinion.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Great topic!

Espi and Adiro,

I agree with both of you on the theory of evaporation.

I recently experienced that phenomenon with a tester bottle of http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.10554.jpg  Rihanna Reb'l Fleur. The store tester was almost empty but when I sprayed it on it was so much more intense than my own new bottle. Oh well! It's something to look forward to as my own bottle ages!  superglad

Last edited by Pink_Ruffles (2012-07-04 05:14:08)

"It is my conviction that there is no way to peace - peace is the way." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

I think new bottles, cause they haven't been used,  the perfume in the tube breaks down and needs to be sprayed out.  I've had this happen several times, and depending on how long the tube is it might take up to 7-10 spritzes to dispel all the weak perfume and get to the good juice.

Nothing smells better then a freshly bathed Sheltie!

I never noticed the difference....but of course I didn't compare every singe fragrance tester to a regular bottle. The only thing I know for sure is that testers are in no way inferior to regular bottles.

olga1780's Website

I've seen often in the shops that they leave the pre-reformulation version to test while they are selling the reformulation!

Selling decants of most of my wardrobe - pm me for details

daisymargueritte wrote:

I've seen often in the shops that they leave the pre-reformulation version to test while they are selling the reformulation!

This makes me quite cross, I've even pointed out to the salesperson, that the fragrance they have out to test is now completely different from the version they are selling and they look at you as though you're mad.

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.93.jpg Yves Saint Laurent Opium being the tester for this http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.7399.jpg Yves Saint Laurent Opium is the usual I find.  mad

It must be gin o'clock!

It's only need more time for your new perfumes. You bought a new bottle, so the hose, the spray never been passed the liquid fragrance. See when you have wear it many times.. day by day..it will getting bold, better longevity, just like the tester you had smelled

It also happened to me with http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.631.jpg  Versace Crystal Noir. I trièdre thé tester se real Times on m'y skinhead and It smelled great.but when I bought the edt, it was weaker and sort of sour with poor longevity. ,

Maybe the tester is EDP while the bottle I bought was EDT? eDP is not available in my country btw

Testers are no different from "regular" perfumes regarding longevity and sillage, so the difference might be due to exposition of tester to the light, heat etc. But when I bought new, unopened tester bottles of perfumes, I never noticed any differences to non-testers.

I am really concerned because I literally have to soak myself in Coco so I can smell it throughout the day, and even then it is so very light. I bought it from a reputable store, so I am so confused. When I originally sprayed the tester it was so strong. I washed my hands and still people asked me what I was wearing and It was one spray.

I suspect the testers are stronger, and that the SAs are somewhat dishonest about it.

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/

Hy. It happened also to me with Shalimar initial.Both testers I have at home (one like those Sephora have for sampeling the perfumes on the shelf and the original 1 ml guerlain shalimar sample) smell different from the perfume I bought. While the tester dries down revealing more and more the vanilla and the caramel base notes, the perfume hides them well and turns a little bit salty...in a way that reminds me of an unwashed body.
Did you experience the same with Shalimar? ps sorry 4 my bad english.

Patricia40 wrote:

Hi fragranticans, i recently tested Chanel Coco EDT (only EDT was available), i sprayed the tester once and it lasted the whole day even through i washed my wrist, I later bought Coco however i find that the actual perfume now is somewhat weaker. I have experienced this with Shalimar, and Shalimar Initial as well as other perfumes. Now I've read some comments on this site concerning this but does anyone have any proof by way of articles or any insider knowledge that companies make the tester stronger, I also checked the testers, they say EDT and not EDP. Is this my imagination or what?

you bought a reformulation and tested another edition, older.

"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."