Topic: Help--need to understand why some perfumes are so "sour" on me?

I've been disapointed several times by fragrances I smell on people (or from the bottle) that smell horrible on me.  Most Estee Lauder fragrances turn so sour/bitter when I put them on--I love how Beautiful smells on everyone but me.  butter  Is there a fragrance note or base that I should just learn to avoid?  It would make my perfume shopping easier!

~ * ~ Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice.  Proverbs 27:9 ~ * ~

Re: Help--need to understand why some perfumes are so "sour" on me?

You have to analyze exactly which fragrances are turning sour on you, take note of them and look up their notes

There could very well be a pattern of a particular note that does not work with you, or even a pair of notes

for example I've learned to avoid jasmine and honey- they turn sour on me. This may not be the case for you but when I cross-referenced scents that had a particular sour effect on me that pattern, among others, emerged.

Could you be Sweating slightly or hot, the oil on your skin is changing the formula and hence the smell. I have had that happen to me when shopping around for a new fragrance, but when I tested it on another occasion the fragrance was fine. Maybe you should mist your skin with a little water then apply a scent less moisturizer then apply the perfume on top of that and see what happens.

Another cause could be that you are over working your nose, do not sniff your wrist after you apply the perfume, let the scent come to you.

See above (women's fragrances forum) for more answers to your duplicate topic.

Happiness is an unattended department store perfume counter, stocked with plenty of paper blotters, testers, and empty drams.

Britney Spears  Circus Fantasy and MARIAH Carey Ribbon are sour on me. I am sure it is a common note or notes. I need to get off my duff and study them.

I reccomend you study the noes in the ones who sour on you. You will learn to fine tune your buying choices.

Run, Bambi ! Run!

Citrus notes turn sour on me 98% of the time.

New SWAP list here...