Topic: What are you favorite essential oils combination

To wear as perfume? I need some ideas ( since my book hasn't come yet. ) Also what carrier oil do you like to use?

Last edited by Rizack2 (2012-07-01 10:03:46)

Nothing smells better then a freshly bathed Sheltie!

Re: What are you favorite essential oils combination

I love citruses, cypress, ginger, pine, benzoin, and nutmeg!  As a carrier, I like grapeseed oil, as it leaves your skin with a satiny finish, and is what masseuses use for massages.  sunflower has a neutral slighly sweet nutty smell that goes well with just about everything.  I'm debating getting a premixed variant of the notes above, because i can't seem to recreate it....  oh well not everyone is a perfumer.

I not quite finished buying all my essential oils, some of them are really expensive, such as Rose and sandalwood. I want to combine Rose and cocoa, to see how they mix.

Last edited by Rizack2 (2012-07-06 18:21:26)

I think the classic combination coconut and vanilla.

S u m m e r !

Chocolate and Gardenia sounds lovely to me.

Rosehip + Vanilla + Benzoin , and a drop of citrus !

Oh you ve got my creativity juices flowing now.

From what I've seen, rosehip doesn't really have a scent, though, no?

So far I have tried to re create Tobacco Vanile with little success.  First off I bought some tobacco absolute which is like tar and doesn't mix with jojoba.  Now Natures Gift tells me Absolutes don't mix with jojoba and I should use coconut and I whould warm both carrier and absolute before mixing.  So far I stink at mixing perfumes.

I am very fond of ylang-ylang, lavender, palmarosa, petitigrain, jasmine and ceder.

Actually  --  I am fond of nearly any combination that includes ylang-ylang, lavender, or both!

Never ask a question, if you aren't prepared to hear the answer.

Sarahbelle's Website

I'm pretty sure rose hip has a sweet delicate rosey smell not as full blown floral as rose oil or absolute but delicate . I use to drink rose hip tea as well l tis, was wonderful glad and owned a lotion oil. It s very good for the skin!

So far I have been trying receipes from a book I bought, cuz when i try my own they fail me.  I keep trying to create a spicy scent and when I use Cloves sheesh it is awfull.  One drop of clove oil is so overpowering it ruins things.  Ah well I'll keep googling for spicy receipes.

Rose essential oil and Lemon essential oil is by far one of my favourite combinations.

Rose has a warm, musky undertone and Lemon brings in a sparkling, vibrant touch to it that prevents rose from becoming too cloying. After a while I can detect a hint of white musk that lingers on. Classic but also carefree.

When I feel like something more 'tomboyish' I like to combine Sandalwood and Bergamot = Sandalwood possesses an exquisitely earthy yet fresh note and bergamot brings out a distinctive floral citrus (think Eark Grey tea)

LunaPearl, we're right on par! I love rose and citrus, particularly Bulgarian rose and pink grapefruit, plus a little patchouli to anchor it.

I also like labdanum/rock rose, or opoponax/sweet myrrh--earthy and resinous with bergamot to brighten it.

Bergamot and vanilla is also warm, bright and simple.

I like to use sweet almond oil or jojoba as a carrier.

Girls I am writing these combos down gonna try them out with my bath salts and bath fizzies.

Last night I tried to make an angel bath salts and was dissapointed because the chocolate didn't come through.  I ended up putting a touch more amber to the mix and used my hand to do this, then washed my hands.  This morning my one hand smells like angel so the chocolate takes a while to take over.  I just copied the ingredients from angel perfume and added them in the order most people found were the strongest notes, so lots of patchouli and lots of chocolate, but i didn't have any carmel note, but looks like I won't need it.

Carnation (of course), sandalwood (prefer Indian sandalwood) and rose. Prefer a carrier of sweet almond or jojoba oil. tummenupp

If I could save time in a bottle..Jim Croce.

Try mixing the top note, heart and bottom notes separately, then combining. I mix light florals, fruits, and some green smells, as tops, heavier florals, like rose or lavender, as heart, then mix the bass notes, cypress, sandalwood, patchouli, the heavier scents. try to get each group balanced.  Citruses and florals can work as either top  or heart notes. Use a tiny glass pipette to get smaller drops. Don't cross contaminate with your mixing pipette. Jojaba is heavy. Many oils have a natural fragrance, which can work for or against your final product. They also go off, or bad, quickly. Consider using alcohol to mix the final product. there are some good instructions on the web. I like bergamot, lemon, lime, orange, cypress, myrrh, rose, carnation, sandalwood, Ginger, jasmine, and some pines. You are right, they can be expensive.

Last edited by Cybernoir (2012-08-19 03:23:44)

"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

I discovered some in Aromatherapy and Massage class:  Virginia Cedar, Grapefruit and rose geranium:  rose geranium, ylang-ylang, clove, rosewood and Bulgarian Lavender,  Frankincense, cinnamon leaf (sparing!) and rosewood.  Actually, the frankincense, cinnamon leaf and rosewood would combine well with the rose geranium, yang-ylang and clove combo.  I just made one into lotion and one into aloe vera gel shampoo.

Once I mixed synthetic ambergris and vanilla, and it actually smelled good!

Hello there, EO's are so magical. I made a serum with buriti oil, evening primrose and meadow-foam oils, I added sandalwood, patchouli, geranium, lavender, german chamomile, rosewood. It gives me a good night sleep, lucid dreams and a really healthy glow in the morning. EO's are all anti fungi,anti bacterial and anti viral, each has its specialty treatment, the smell gets even better with time, rich.

VieVie loves beauty

Lavender + orange =YUM! Relaxing and energizing at the same time!

Oma apu paras apu .

Here are my fav:

patchouli + lavendar

ginger + any citruses

sandalwood + orange

I am not picky, just discerning.

rose and sandalwood

lavender and vanilla

Love rose and sandalwood....also lavender with orange and a tiny bit of patchouli to earth it up.

Last edited by formedkarma (2012-10-05 00:50:40)

I just bought some pure patchouli oil. Can I apply it directly to my skin without mixing?

Don`t bother looking at the view. I have already composed it. - Gustav Mahler

ailishlu wrote:

I just bought some pure patchouli oil. Can I apply it directly to my skin without mixing?

I have, and it was ok but essential oils can burn your skin so it's best to be carefull.

I like

Neroli, bergamont, and geranium

Orange, cinnamon, ginger, and clove

Lavender and rose

I myself am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions.

Rizack2 wrote:

To wear as perfume? I need some ideas ( since my book hasn't come yet. ) Also what carrier oil do you like to use?

Which book?  I may be interested in any book on perfume, aroma therapy or mixing perfumes.

I myself am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions.

I bought a book called "Personalized Perfumes" by Gail Duff it just has some formulas/with amounts in it that she put together, since I didn't know where to begin. It was a used book from Amazon, very cheep.  I've tried three recipes and they all came out pretty nice.  I used the recipes for scenting sugar scrub bars and bath salts.

Last edited by Rizack2 (2012-10-09 06:04:36)