Topic: How can you tell a FAKE?

So I was wondering, how can you tell a fake perfume from a real one, especially if it's a very convincing fake?

I have bought a set of Boucheron minis from Perfume Emporium and I think they may well be fake. The reason I say this, the box was really nackered and no cellophane, the actual mini bottles looked very shabby, almost like they have been pre owned and the 'golden' decoration from around the bottle was half rubbed off. The minis do have some sort of serial number on them though and seem to smell like the real deal, also the minis were full....so now I don't know. What do you think? There is no way I can return them.

Adjuvate!Adjuvate!Adjuvate!
Looking for vintage Amarige and Antilope.

Re: How can you tell a FAKE?

Were they the parfum initial version? They might simply be very old, in my experience some not all of the houses had less decorative bottle in the past, and quality of bottling wasnt as good as now (productioon of glass is much cheaper) but best way to tell is through the smell, does it last long? does it smell like rubbing alcohol? synthetic off smell? etc.

I know places like perfume emporium and fragrancenet buy second hand gray market goods, so sometimes they are store returns or deparmental clearance stock. etc explaining the conditions of the perfume and sometimes decoding of the barcode

I don't know how some of these sellers get gift sets (GS). Some of them look like they fell off the back of a chuck wagon, and some poor gopher employee had to pick them up, dust them off, and prepare them to be sold. I got an Amouage GS earlier this year, and it looked like absolute crap. The fragrances were fine, and I was confident with their authenticity, but the packaging was beat up. There were fingerprints on the bottles. It appeared that the GS had been rewrapped in shrink-wrap. There was an accidental ballpoint pen mark on it. The suede-like box looked like it had gotten dusty from sitting out (before it was shrink-wrapped).

Before thinking that something is fake when it looks like your Boucheron gift set reportedly looks, I would work through the following first.

- Seller has very low standards as to what is sellable

- GS was returned and not taken care of

- GS is just really old

- GS is just really old + not stored well

- GS was on display somewhere

- GS dropped out of the bag during the burglary through which the seller obtained it

I jest, but some of these GSs do look horrible.

I wonder what would happen if you simply notified the seller. You wouldn't have to necessarily ask for a refund or exchange (unless you really wanted to).

Happiness is an unattended department store perfume counter, stocked with plenty of paper blotters, testers, and empty drams.

This is a very good question. I would like to know as well. I got some fragrancenet samples that I swear are very old some to the point they are discolored or evaporated. tongue I started going to places that have perfume testers to double check. There are two perfumanias at the Mall of America and they are very good about letting you sniff a lot of perfumes.

There are fakes really well done, in perfect conditions and just like a brand new original one would be, but no matter how hard they try to imitate all the details, there are very little differences that you can notice only by comparing it with an original perfume.

for example:

http://reviews.ebay.com/PHOTO-GUIDE-Fak … 0174766564

"You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way." Walter Hagen.

Here's another possibility... I work at the Amazon warehouse that accepts returns from customers east of the Mississippi (west of the Mississippi returns go to the Las Vegas facility) and just found out that all fragrances that are returned get sold to liquidators for resale. In the past they used to be destroyed but finally the admins realized a lot of revenue was being lost.

Many bottles come back unopened as "return to shipper" because they couldn't be delivered for some reason. Others come back opened but barely used. I think the liquidators reseal the opened ones and sell them along with those that haven't been opened. This would explain why TJMAXX, etc., often will have just one bottle of some wonderful fragrance (like my recent $30.00 bargain sealed red "velvet" box 100ml bottle of Dolce & Gabana!).

Not all bargains are fakes!

But, back to your question.  If the fragrance is a popular, readily available one, you can always take the bottle to a department store or perfume shop that sells that fragrance, say you received it as a gift and aren't sure it's genuine.  If the first SA you encounter can't say for sure, ask when the manufacturing company's rep will be coming in or ask to speak with a manager -- one way or the other someone will be able to tell you for certain whether or not your bottle is genuine or counterfeit.

Last edited by weegee (2012-07-15 22:27:17)

Kitty Weegee has crossed the Rainbow Bridge to heaven. June 12, 1994 - December 30, 2013.  He was a very good boy.

pollyjean23 wrote:

I don't know how some of these sellers get gift sets (GS). Some of them look like they fell off the back of a chuck wagon, and some poor gopher employee had to pick them up, dust them off, and prepare them to be sold. I got an Amouage GS earlier this year, and it looked like absolute crap. The fragrances were fine, and I was confident with their authenticity, but the packaging was beat up. There were fingerprints on the bottles. It appeared that the GS had been rewrapped in shrink-wrap. There was an accidental ballpoint pen mark on it. The suede-like box looked like it had gotten dusty from sitting out (before it was shrink-wrapped).

Before thinking that something is fake when it looks like your Boucheron gift set reportedly looks, I would work through the following first.

- Seller has very low standards as to what is sellable

- GS was returned and not taken care of

- GS is just really old

- GS is just really old + not stored well

- GS was on display somewhere

- GS dropped out of the bag during the burglary through which the seller obtained it

I jest, but some of these GSs do look horrible.

I wonder what would happen if you simply notified the seller. You wouldn't have to necessarily ask for a refund or exchange (unless you really wanted to).

Yes! That is pretty much what the Boucheron gift set looked like. I honestly would have been embarrassed if it had been a gift for somebody. I had a good sniff of all three minis, the one I was most interested in definitely smells like the real deal cause I already have a sample of it at home. The other two I am not sure as have never smelled them before and haven't seen them on sale in the stores where I live but they seem to smell almost vintage if that makes sense. I was wondering,is there a way to find out the year of production by the serial number on the bottle? Although I guess these could have been faked too.

Adjuvate!Adjuvate!Adjuvate!
Looking for vintage Amarige and Antilope.