Topic: Spraying hair... Damaging?

I know that using perfume on your hair can leave a really nice scent trail. I dont have the kind of skin that throws off perfume very well, all my perfumes wear pretty close to my skin. So I thought I would start spraying some in my hair.

My question is....does spraying the hair cause drying or damage?

Also what is the difference between hair mists and the actual perfume? Are hair mists safer for the hair?

Last edited by hollycat (2012-08-14 18:06:41)

If you always do your best, you'll never have anything to regret.

Re: Spraying hair... Damaging?

hi hollycat, hair mists are based on oil and perfume can dry out your hair if used frequently...

I would think spraying perfume on hair would end up causing it some damage because of the alcohol.

If the hair mists are alcohol-free (like angel hair mist), that would probably be a little better for your hair.

jillhare wrote:

I would think spraying perfume on hair would end up causing it some damage because of the alcohol.

If the hair mists are alcohol-free (like angel hair mist), that would probably be a little better for your hair.

yes, forgot to say hair mists are acohol-free

I see, I wish all perfumes would use an oil base. I think it would be safer and nicer on the skin as well.

If you always do your best, you'll never have anything to regret.

The natural oils in your hair will sustain and maintain a scent longer than on your skin in most cases. However, the alcohol in your perfume will dry out your hair if it is done consistently. I would only do it on special occasions. Oil based  perfumes would be a better option.

"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." Dostoyevsky

Well, I think it probably depends.

I've been spraying my hair at the nape of my neck for a long, long time. Not an overall spray like one does with hairspray, just lift up my hair and spritz. It hasn't ever seemed to hurt my hair or scalp. I have healthy hair and scalp, though.

"Smells are surer than sounds or sights to make your heartstrings crack". ~ Rudyard Kipling

Try this:  Find a scent free silicone based hair serum, put a few drops in your hand, rub hands together to spread evenly and warm up.  Next, spray your favorite EDT on your silicone coated hands.  Run hands through your hair. 

Some people spray directly, but if you color your hair, when you go out in the sun, your color might be affected.  Silicone prevents this from happening.  Careful, though:  you must clarify regularly or it will build up and cause very dull, dry hair.

All good things come to an end...

If you're going to spray in hair protect it first.   I don't spray my hair often as there's too much alcohol in perfumes, but sometimes I use a water based leave in or, I use a very thin oil like grapeseed (you don't need much) before I spray.   I tend to not use cones because my hair hates them.

There's plenty of companies that are coming out with perfumed sprays for hair.  I believe Frederic Malle just came out with one.

If your perfume is oil based (like for instance, I see the OP is wearing Kiehl's musk and they have an oil based perfume) then use a tiny amount and rub through hair.  not as drying as alcohol based ones at all. 

Coco Mad lotion smells awesome and is pretty strong, so sometimes, I use that in my hair instead of the spray.

IMO, perfume won't harm hair unless you're spraying a bunch. I just do a light mist and it's never hurt my hair. Then again, I don't color, blow dry or heat style my hair, so it's generally in great condition.

I've been spraying my hair every time I wear perfume, so that's everyday, for years. No damage. I do use a good conditioner, maybe that helps. And unlike marshallsx2 I highlight, blow dry AND use a curling iron!!

A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future
                                                             Coco Chanel

Pa.princess's Website

marshallsx2 wrote:

IMO, perfume won't harm hair unless you're spraying a bunch. I just do a light mist and it's never hurt my hair. Then again, I don't color, blow dry or heat style my hair, so it's generally in great condition.

+1

It's not like you're saturating big wads of hair with perfume. A fine mist that you swing your head around in shouldn't cause a problem.

Happiness is an unattended department store perfume counter, stocked with plenty of paper blotters, testers, and empty drams.

For years I've squirted fragrance against my scalp in a few places, rather than spraying my hair. I do this because my head is invariably the hottest part of me - not that I'm a 'hot head'! - and both holds and releases fragrance far more efficiently than the so-called pulse points. I may as well use fragrance as an air deodorant as apply it to my wrists, for instance. I've not found any dryness with my aging and foiled hair, but I do apply the fragrance to as much skin as possible rather than the hair. And maybe it works for me because I live in a temperate coastal region.

There are, however, two things I'd like to point out.

The first is a plus: if I feel like refreshing the scent during the day I just rub my fingers against my scalp, in the same way you might fluff up your hair.

The second - for me at least - is a bit of a minus: the scent holds so well it means I can't wear two different fragrances on consecutive days (except if I wash my hair).

I did try Chanel No 5 Hair Fragrance once, but it was gone almost as soon as it was applied. I've found 'my way' far better!

Give me the luxuries and I can dispense with the necessities (Oscar Wilde).

Pa.princess wrote:

I've been spraying my hair every time I wear perfume, so that's everyday, for years. No damage. I do use a good conditioner, maybe that helps. And unlike marshallsx2 I highlight, blow dry AND use a curling iron!!

+1

I ALWAYS spray perfume in my hair, never had any damage.

Selling decants of most of my wardrobe - pm me for details

jillhare wrote:

Yes I'm afraid the alcohol will damage my hairs too. But sometime, maybe once a month I spray my hairs with a perfume that has weak projection

Arcane1 wrote:

Try this: Find a scent free silicone based hair serum, put a few drops in your hand, rub hands together to spread evenly and warm up. Next, spray your favorite EDT on your silicone coated hands. Run hands through your hair.

I am going to try this--brilliant suggestion, Arcane!

Also, I have spritzed a little scent spray over my hair a few times and have never noticed any damage(drying out) from it.

I dont think it damages hair =P I spray my hair every now and then and its fine, but to be safe I'd just spray my hair brush and brush my hair with it

I say no. But only because it's not like you are dousing your hair in perfume. One spray each time will not do anything to your hair. I think hair mists are just another way to get you to buy more product. They are overrated. If you're really worried about the damage, I say flip your head over and spray the underside of your hair. It's not like anyone is gonna see that hair anyways!

Swap: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=93254

you can try arabic perfumes because most of them are oil based and they have certain ones just for hair likehttp://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.3904.jpg Al Haramain Perfumes

Mukhamria Maliki

also coco http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.612.jpg Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Eau de toilette has an amazing hair sprits

promote education, peace, and the advancement of civilization..Carnegie
oh...and perfumes!

I've been perfuming my hair for years. while I had natural hair, and while I've had colored hair... always down to my waist. I agree with Arcane1 use a bit of a hair serum & add a spritz. I often will spray my brush so the alcohol evaporates a bit, and then brush my hair right after a blowdry while its still damp in the core. then run the dryer over it again. if you spritz gently, you'll probably be fine. I've always loved doing it.

"And though pigs can fly, They'll never find me Posing as the night, And I'm home before the morning." -Kate Bush

Much ado about tissue which is essential dead keratinized cells.

A great deal of what passes for current Christianity consists in denouncing other people's vices and faults.  ~ Henry H. Williams

Girls blowdry, curl, hairspray their hair all the time. And color it as well. Don't think that a little perfume (alcohol) everyday is even near the damaging blowdrying, hairspray (contains alcohol too!) and the other mentioned things above. Just protect your hair first and it will be fine glad Try silicon drops on first. I've sprayed my hair with perfume everyday and my hair is still healty and shiny!

Albatross wrote:

Much ado about tissue which is essential dead keratinized cells.

Absolutely agree, what's to worry about?

I'm using perfume almost exclusively on my hair, winter or summer, with or without hats - no damage done. I've had highlights, multiple perms, I do regular styling, blowdrying... Hair's fine. I've found shampoo etc. that work for me, that's key.

I've always wondered the same thing! I feared spraying perfume on my hair would be bad...

I don't use special products (only 2in1 shampoo+conditioner) in my hair, but I never dyed it and sometimes blow dry for only a minute, just so my hair's not dripping wet after my shower.

But my hair's still good  tummenupp

"I, myself, am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions"
http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=92711