Topic: How do I know if a perfume is a real thing, not a counterfeit ?

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.1532.jpg Vivienne Westwood Boudoir  and http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.565.jpg Hugo Boss Deep Red  Just placed an order online for these perfumes. Both blind buy, just read alot and really wanted it for a while. My question is : how do I know I got a real thing since I have never smelled them before? Any suggestions? Thank you

Re: How do I know if a perfume is a real thing, not a counterfeit ?

I think there have been several threads on this if you search in the search box, but basically look for anything that's off center, spelled wrong, letters that easily fall off or chip, defects in the glass, cap, or seals, extra long or extra short "straws" (don't know the technical term but the thing that brings the perfume to the sprayer), etc. And of course smell the perfume. If it lasts like 10 minutes and then is gone (and you know the regular perfume doesn't do that) then it might be fake or bad.

I have to say though, those two don't look like perfumes anyone would want to counterfeit. Usually people counterfeit super popular/designer perfumes like anything by Chanel, most of the Diors, Angel, etc. There is no benefit to them to counterfeit a perfume unless it's REALLY popular.

Just my two cents glad

Swap: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?pid=1624128#p1624128

Oh, and also you could order samples of them from reputable sellers like # STOP SPAM #.com (they're pretty inexpensive and I order from them all the time! It's a great way to try new frags and you can pick the size you want!) and then compare the scents.

Oh, and welcome!!! 26

Last edited by sweetiepea161616 (2012-08-19 00:38:25)

Hello Happyolia, Welcome to the wonderful world of Fragrantica!

Having never smelled a perfume before it's hard to tell. If you purchase online from Ebay and find the item is a fake or knock-off they offer Buyer Protection and there are penalties for the seller if caught. I bid on a bottle of Chanel No. 5. It came cello-wrapped so I didn't suspect anything until almost a year later when I finally opened it and noticed the smell wasn't quite right and the label around the neck of the bottle came loose. By the time I went on Ebay to complain Ebay had already taken action. They sent a message informing Ebayers the seller had been banned and gave instructions on how to pursue getting a refund.

Try purchasing from online stores with a good reputation,(i.e Luckyscent.com, fragrancenet.com, fragranceX.com or Ebay sellers with high ratings(97% or more) and overall high percentage of positive feedback (you can't satisfy every customer and no one's perfect), offers of money-back guarantees, excellent customer service, an actual street address, not PO Box only etc. These are tell tale signs of the likelihood of having a good or bad fragrance purchasing experience.

P.S. I purchase many samples from many places mainly Ebay and Luckyscent.com or check out the fragrance counters at the mall.

Good luck!

Last edited by Adrien02 (2012-08-19 23:58:04)

'Avoid Godless chatter because those who indulge in it will become more and more
ungodly'   -2 Timothy 2:16

Thank you girls for your advice. I wanted to order from ebay at first. Then I started reading the reviews ( from Top - rated sellers) and although they had a lot of positive reviews, I have found still quite a few people saying that they got fake perfumes. So I decided to go with online store Fragrance.net. They do take returns too, but after you open the package they charge you 20% fee .So I am waiting right now. Excited and a bit nervous.

Side note regarding Ebay:  Also beware of shifty purchasers who claim they got a "fake" just so they could be reimbursed. Sometimes fragrances are reformulated and to the uninitiated this could spell "fake" for some not in the know.

The seller, who probably doesn't want to get less than 5 stars just reimburses the disgruntled buyer but may still get a low rating. Outcome:  the seller has a bad rap and this buyer has a "free" perfume.

I know it sounds dirty but that is a very real possibility.

'Avoid Godless chatter because those who indulge in it will become more and more
ungodly'   -2 Timothy 2:16

Adrien02 wrote:

Side note regarding Ebay: Also beware of shifty purchasers who claim they got a "fake" just so they could be reimbursed. Sometimes fragrances are reformulated and to the uninitiated this could spell "fake" for some not in the know.

The seller, who probably doesn't want to get less than 5 stars just reimburses the disgruntled buyer but may still get a low rating. Outcome: the seller has a bad rap and this buyer has a "free" perfume.

I know it sounds dirty but that is a very real possibility.

Hmmm, I didnt't know that. Thanks for sharing

Hi Happyolia!

Fragrancenet. com is a great site.  I've ordered from them several times & feel that you don't need to worry about ordering from them.

As for Ebay, you have to be careful, but it's a great place to get often substantial discounts on perfume.  I buy most of my perfume there, either from a business or the partially used bottles of an individual.

I had the misfortune of buying three fake perfumes in my seven years on Ebay:  Allien, Chanel No. 5 EDP, & Chanel Allure Sensuelle.  With the Alien, it was easy to tell, because I had just smelled it at Sephora, plus on the box it indicated that it was,  90ml/6.8oz!  With  the Chanels, I hadn't smelled either scent previously and at that time, I didn't even know that fake perfumes were sold on Ebay!  So it was long after I bought them that I figured out they were fakes.

I would definitely stay away from a Chanel or Dior that starts at 99 cents and used a stock photo in the listing.  Also, it's usually the 100ml size that's faked, so you can worry less if it's a smaller size.  Also, with Chanels, the batch code on the box and bottle should be the same.  The code is lasered discreetly on the back of the bottle, so you can ask for that if it's a listing for just the bottle.  I'm afraid I don't know the particulars of how Dior "marks" their packaging, but I think it's been discussed here.

But you don't need to worry about fragrancenet!   Enjoy your perfumes when they arrive!  http://fimgs.net/smilies/cool.png

I agree with Adrien02 that sometimes people will falsely claim they got a fake perfume.  With feedback, I think you have to be the judge of what sounds like fair feedback and what may be unfair from someone who is almost impossible to please.

oh! de parfum wrote:

Hi Happyolia!

Fragrancenet. com is a great site. I've ordered from them several times & feel that you don't need to worry about ordering from them.

As for Ebay, you have to be careful, but it's a great place to get often substantial discounts on perfume. I buy most of my perfume there, either from a business or the partially used bottles of an individual.

I had the misfortune of buying three fake perfumes in my seven years on Ebay: Allien, Chanel No. 5 EDP, & Chanel Allure Sensuelle. With the Alien, it was easy to tell, because I had just smelled it at Sephora, plus on the box it indicated that it was, 90ml/6.8oz! With the Chanels, I hadn't smelled either scent previously and at that time, I didn't even know that fake perfumes were sold on Ebay! So it was long after I bought them that I figured out they were fakes.

I would definitely stay away from a Chanel or Dior that starts at 99 cents and used a stock photo in the listing. Also, it's usually the 100ml size that's faked, so you can worry less if it's a smaller size. Also, with Chanels, the batch code on the box and bottle should be the same. The code is lasered discreetly on the back of the bottle, so you can ask for that if it's a listing for just the bottle. I'm afraid I don't know the particulars of how Dior "marks" their packaging, but I think it's been discussed here.

But you don't need to worry about fragrancenet! Enjoy your perfumes when they arrive! http://fimgs.net/smilies/cool.png 

I agree with Adrien02 that sometimes people will falsely claim they got a fake perfume. With feedback, I think you have to be the judge of what sounds like fair feedback and what may be unfair from someone who is almost impossible to please.

Yes, Fragrancenet is great! Just to answer the Dior thing, the Miss Diors (glass bottles) have the batch code etched on the back towards the bottom. It's usually kind of a whitish color. Addict has the code on the bottom- older bottles have it kind of whitish blue on the bottom and newer ones have it on the sticker in a blue color. Of course there may be other variations of that, and I'm not sure about the Poisons (I think the code is on the sticker on the bottom though).

Has anyone ordered from cheapsmells? I ordered from them before and everything was ok. Now I`ve just received my order and I`m also worried about fakes. I got a 30ml bottle of Mitsouko edt. Seems ok. Everything is sealed but there is some arabic writing on bottom of the box near the barcode. Is this normal? I made quite a big purchase. The Tabu they sent me is not the one I clicked on on their site. They sent me the bottle shaped like a cello. That doesn`t bother me too much. The bottle is very pretty. The others are all sealed and seem ok. The other worry was though the 100ml edt bottle of Femme Rochas. It was rather cheap. I actually thought I ordered the edp but I must be mistaken. About to check their website again. I`d appreciate your thoughts on this. I know lots of you have ordered from cheapsmells. Thanks in advance.

Don`t bother looking at the view. I have already composed it. - Gustav Mahler

Hi everyone, I would appreciate an answer to my last post. It´s rather important to me. Not sure if I should send them back or not. Thanks a bunch. Your opinions are always appreciated. 12

Don`t bother looking at the view. I have already composed it. - Gustav Mahler