Topic: Getting perfume scent out of outerwear/winter clothes

Hi all glad

Any tips for getting perfume smells out of winter clothes/outerwear? I like to wear different perfumes but I find that the previous scent remains on my clothes. Some stronger perfumes stick on forever!

For t-shirts/blouses, I just throw in the wash but for outerwear (blazers, coats, leather jackets, etc) it's not very cost efficient to dry clean them every time, and most of my outerwear are dry clean only. What do you do to get rid of the scent? I tried airing them out, but no luck..

Thanks!

Re: Getting perfume scent out of outerwear/winter clothes

That's a good question. I imagine it depends on the material. If it's dry clean only, but you can get away with hand washing a part of it or spot cleaning it, it might be possible. But, if the coat is suede or some other fussy fabric, then you'll probably just have to make more frequent trips to the dreaded dry cleaner.

This has some suggestions. None of them are awesome, but it might get the ideas flowing. Good luck.

http://laundry.about.com/od/stainremova … erfume.htm

Happiness is an unattended department store perfume counter, stocked with plenty of paper blotters, testers, and empty drams.

Have you tried Dryel? It's a home dry cleaning kit you can use in the dryer. You can't use it on leather, but it's great for fabrics.

Try tumbling the item in the dryer for five minutes or so -- this often gets perfume out entirely. A short period in the dryer shouldn't damage anything, so worth a try ...

Take the item to the drycleaners.

Beauty is truth, truth beauty.

rickyrebarco wrote:

Take the item to the drycleaners.

Wow...did you actually read the OP's post?

If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.
Swaps: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=48115

marshallsx2 wrote:

Have you tried Dryel? It's a home dry cleaning kit you can use in the dryer. You can't use it on leather, but it's great for fabrics.

+1 I would try this option first. I have some friends that have used them and swear by them. As for leather, you may have to go to the dry cleaners to get those items appropriately cleaned.

Come to the dark side! We have perfume!

I've never heard of Dryel, but the thought of stuffing a woolen coat in the dryer makes my hair stand up!!  va

(Personally I do what I can to avoid perfume on my outerwear, except for scarves that are easily washed.)

Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

marshallsx2 wrote:

+1 Dryell is best for freshning up clothing that doesn't actually need the full drycleaning process.  This may work.  I try to avoid getting perfumes on my clothing but it happens.

I myself am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions.

EK wrote:

I've never heard of Dryel, but the thought of stuffing a woolen coat in the dryer makes my hair stand up!!  va

(Personally I do what I can to avoid perfume on my outerwear, except for scarves that are easily washed.)

The dryer wont hurt them in low heat for s short time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_cleaning

Last edited by Sucarie (2012-11-08 12:09:02)

I myself am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions.

I hang smelly clothes, sweaters and coats on the clothesline outdoors on a sunny day, all day all times of the year. Gets most smells out and they smell wonderful when the come in. Same for blankets, leather, and pillows.

I dislike the smell of dry-cleaning fluid, would rather smell old perfume.

Last edited by buyer63 (2012-11-10 03:29:15)

use a hair dryer on medium cool,  on the areas you sprayed, dab with medicinal alcohol first if its particularily deep..( go easy on the alcohol, not on Leather!, the leather smells wont ever really go i'm affraid, one should never spray perfume near leather , because it has alcohol.)

Refresh tumble dry clothes are goo, but not for Silk, Wool or leather.

Leather is the worst to remove scent, and scent weakens leather, sorry to say, its dried skin mixed with alcohol from the perfume.

I also would recomend you spray perfumes on you before you get dressed and ready and not afterwards.and if you are respraying, then always

spray close to the skin like a close range squirt, i actually place the nozzel next to my skin , this also enables you not to waste any and you can use your wrists to transfer and dab anywhere else on your body, if there are drops of excess. Always do this and dont let the dribbles get to your clothes, by using your wrists, it will become a normal habit in no time

Also try wearing a silk or satin scarf around your neck, looks great with a jumper too, or just dont spray you neck but dab under the jaw bone and behind the ears like men seem to do.

just putting your perfume on first will protect your clothes, and carry a little decant 15ml generic bottle around with you , get a couple of little perfume funnels and some generic little 10ml bottles of ebay etc.

Good luck.

I use Febreeze Fabric Freshner on my clothes (woolens and most dry clean only fabrics included) and it helps tremendously. I like the April Fresh Downy Scent which dry's to a rather "bland" freshly laundered smell but gets the perfume scent OUT. I love this stuff and personally have had no problems using it on any of my clothing or household items. Good luck! glad

http://www.febreze.com/en-US/Product.aspx?id=161

"Two things make a woman unforgettable, their tears and their perfume." S.Guitry

buyer63 wrote:

I hang smelly clothes, sweaters and coats on the clothesline outdoors on a sunny day, all day all times of the year. Gets most smells out and they smell wonderful when the come in. Same for blankets, leather, and pillows.

+1 It's exactly what I do. I never thought to do it due to the perfumes, though, but I act that way when, after a night-out in a smelly place, my jacket or coat smells like fried potatoes usch kebab or cigarette smoke. It works.

Actually when I smell a beautiful drydown on my jacket I fancy that perfume again! And, if more than 3 days are passed, the smell is so subtle that I can spray whatever perfume on!

A good friend of mine gave me some stuff called zero odor.  I love it. works on pretty much most perfumes (sans 2  which can be pretty heavy but beats them back pretty good)

I don't tend to use frebreeze because I don't feel it works that great and  it leave a scent  of its ownl (which kind of defeats the purpose)

Thanks for the excellent tips, everyone!  glad I will definitely try everything. No one mentioned steaming, but I do have a steamer. It's worth a try..

But ultimately, I will try to avoid spraying on my wrists because that's how the scent gets on my sleeves. Maybe a small spray on my neck/stomach will suffice.

I'd seek professional help from a dry cleaner professional first. If you don't like their choice, throw some of our ideas at him/her and see if they would be feasible. You might be able to sprinkle baking soda on some fabrics, let set for a bit, and just shake or vacuum off. One of those soft brush attachments would be ideal for this.  I'd only use a rug beater as a last resort!

There is this product called Scent-A-Way. You can buy at Wal-Mart, Basspro, Amazon, Etc. This is the best stuff in the absolute world. It is Odorless and comes in a spray, drier sheets, etc. I love it and swear by it. I'll usually dampen a hand towel, spritz my sweaters, dress shirts, etc. with Scent-A-Way or throw in a Scent-A-Way dryer sheet and tumble on air only. Wholla!!! Works like a charm. It is safe on all fabrics/materials and will work on leather as well. Awesome.

P.S. You'll find it in the hunting section as it is actually used to get rid of ALL odors and smells, so the dear can't detect you when hunting.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/12/91/01/0002129101165_180X180.jpg

Last edited by cdaleb73110 (2012-11-15 22:07:02)