Topic: Need help making Guerlain perfumes more wearable for me..

Hi all,

I have http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.1657.jpg Guerlain My Insolence sitting there pretty unused for months, liked the sweetness but when it's on my skin it turns out to be very suffocating sweeeeeetttt powder puff in your face! kinda thing :(

well actually i cant enjoy Guerlain pretty much though coz most of them are powdery & i'm not a big fan.

i dont know if i should wait any longer till i get much older to use (already old at 30 now tongue or need to wait at least up to grandma's level) or should i mix/layer them with something else?

Based from my wardrobe, what would you think would help to counter the powdery-ness of this perfume? at least to freshen it up a bit?

Thank you for your time & suggestions glad

Re: Need help making Guerlain perfumes more wearable for me..

Maybe you could try layering it with sth citrusy? Not sure whether it would actually work as I personally do not like Insolence at all.

There are number of Guerlains which are not powdery, mainly their AA line so may be you could try some of them.

Adjuvate!Adjuvate!Adjuvate!
My WANT shelf is for SWAP in UK!

AA line also did not work for me as expected too...most of them turns really weird, like burned rubber or stuff that burns electrically.

I'll see what citrus perfumes i have that will go well with this & report my findings

for me personally I would consider that a waste- Guerlain perfumes are so popular I would sell or swap and buy something new !

PhaedraRose wrote:

for me personally I would consider that a waste- Guerlain perfumes are so popular I would sell or swap and buy something new !

Nope, never popular in my place (we live in a hot humid climate) and swapping it takes too much time.

this was a blind buy, i'm attracted to it's bottle & juice color hoping for something heavenly sweet & tolerable...but this is just grannies for me :(

oh, that's a shame. Well, this one does have berry notes...how about trying to bring out the fruit a bit more by mixing it with something like the Victoria's secret berry one you have in your wardrobe? Would that work?

I see you have shalimar initial which i hated when I first tried and it made me nauseous in the hot humid autumns of my country,but it was lovely in dry weather especially after a couple of wearings.

I usually love powdery and strong scents and may not be the best person to advise you but when wanting to soften a scent I would spritz once in my hand and mix with fragrance free lotion before applying to skin (all over).

Good luck and hope you find your Guerlain

Last edited by alyaa (2013-01-15 08:21:29)

PhaedraRose wrote:

oh, that's a shame. Well, this one does have berry notes...how about trying to bring out the fruit a bit more by mixing it with something like the Victoria's secret berry one you have in your wardrobe? Would that work?

tried to mix it with the VS body cream & spray the Guerlain on top of it on my skin..i think it works! the powdery-ness is tamed down, leaving only the sweet berries which is yummy!

another question, can i mix the VS Secret Berry body mist directly with Guerlain My Insolence into one bottle & make a different perfume out of the concoction? is this recommendable?

alyaa wrote:

I see you have shalimar initial which i hated when I first tried and it made me nauseous in the hot humid autumns of my country,but it was lovely in dry weather especially after a couple of wearings.

I usually love powdery and strong scents and may not be the best person to advise you but when wanting to soften a scent I would spritz once in my hand and mix with fragrance free lotion before applying to skin (all over).

Good luck and hope you find your Guerlain

it was also a mini blind buy that just arrived last week. haven't tested it yet since i got so many perfumes already opened...need to use them up before opening a new one...

If I were you I'd sell it or swap it.  I love Guerlains generally, but I cannot abide any of the http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.667.jpg Guerlain Insolence versions.

They are all suffocatingly sweet violet bombs.  Anytime I've tried to convince myself to like something I don't like it never works. Trust your nose.

"She walks in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes & starry skies."
George Gordon, Lord Byron

^ the sell/swap market is very lukewarm in my country...and powdery thing is an acquired taste which makes it very hard to find one who's into it.

it's a 30ml bottle anyway & i'll make do mixing it with VS Juiced berry body mist.

I personally did not like my insolence much. its too sharp for my nose, couldn't find much almond powder in it until dry down but it has a weird smell. a lot said it smelled like lemon almond cupcakes which i did not smell at all. maybe you could try mixing it with lemon to make it citrusy or vanilla to make it more cakey?

on your other question, do not mix them together in another vial unless its around 1ml at a time, because it might get bad. just layer it together on your skin.  i hope it works well for you.

as they all suggested try your best to swap it even with australia members i dont think it will cost a lot to ship if its only 30ml. and hopefully you get a scent you really want.

Conventionality is a refuge of a stagnant mind...Judith McNaught

on paper mixing test

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.1657.jpg Guerlain My Insolence + http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.219.jpg Dior Hypnotic Poison = disaster!

cant find any prominent citrus perfume in my collection to test mix, my last http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.11428.jpg Kenzo L`Eau par Kenzo Wild has been finished to the last drop

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.14456.jpg Victoria`s Secret Juiced Berry body mist + http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.1657.jpg Guerlain My Insolence = smells like sharp fruity bubble gum ;/

duh i give up on hope of using this one :(

putting lotion all over body & spray My Insolence on to it takes too much of my time.

Many thanks for your input, really appreciated it glad

You definitely have to apply the guerlain insolence line of perfumes with a light hand. Perhaps spray behind your knees or keep experimenting with different body lotions to tone it down.  I'm personally a fan, and I find powdery scents clean and fresh, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Good luck!

ver jaina wrote:
PhaedraRose wrote:

tried to mix it with the VS body cream & spray the Guerlain on top of it on my skin..i think it works! the powdery-ness is tamed down, leaving only the sweet berries which is yummy!

another question, can i mix the VS Secret Berry body mist directly with Guerlain My Insolence into one bottle & make a different perfume out of the concoction? is this recommendable?

Yay ! At least you've found a way to tone it down a bit- I don't think I'd mix them both together though,just incase they turn. A couple of other members have had good ideas above- mix it a few ml at a time,or the idea about spraying it into your hand with a blob of body lotion is a good one !

It seems you don't like the signature of the house. I can't imagine why you'd try and force yourself to like them. Mixing perfumes has never improved anything, and I think it's a disservice to the perfumer to try and "fix" their scent by adding another fragrance over it. Judging by your wardrobe I would say you're looking at the wrong fragrances. Try

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.3345.jpg Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.3810.jpg Guerlain Iris Ganache

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.51.jpg Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain

These are more modern, easy, and accessible Guerlain fragrances. They're a bit less complex and should be right up your alley.

I agree that it is very powdery. I would spray it in the air and walk under it, or spray it farther away from your wrists/chest/neck/wherever you choose to spray on your body. But I agree with lovingthealien; don't force yourself to like it if you are unable to. Maybe you could give it to a friend or family member.

Last edited by Hayven (2013-01-15 12:50:55)

Life is a road, and I want to keep going; Love is a river I wanna keep flowing.
Life is a road, Now and forever, wonderful journey.

Thanks Hayven & lovingthealien.

I bought this one when i was a noob in perfumes, on the very 1st day knowing this site...i never tried Guerlain before so i blind bought a 30ml bottle. I didnt mean any disrespect to the creators but to let them sitting there is also a waste, it's a high quality perfume with very long lasting hours. sprayed 1 time on my wrist in the evening & still be able to sniff it in the morning next day.

I try swapping with my cousin, she's interested in it's smell but does not liked it enough for trade. give this to my mum but never used since she already has a perfume to finish currently.

PhaedraRose wrote:
ver jaina wrote:
PhaedraRose wrote:

Yay ! At least you've found a way to tone it down a bit- I don't think I'd mix them both together though,just incase they turn. A couple of other members have had good ideas above- mix it a few ml at a time,or the idea about spraying it into your hand with a blob of body lotion is a good one !

and this mixture lasts even longer! lol

lovingthealien wrote:

It seems you don't like the signature of the house. I can't imagine why you'd try and force yourself to like them. Mixing perfumes has never improved anything, and I think it's a disservice to the perfumer to try and "fix" their scent by adding another fragrance over it. Judging by your wardrobe I would say you're looking at the wrong fragrances.

rickyrebarco wrote:

If I were you I'd sell it or swap it. I love Guerlains generally, but I cannot abide any of the http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.667.jpg  Guerlain Insolence versions.

They are all suffocatingly sweet violet bombs. Anytime I've tried to convince myself to like something I don't like it never works. Trust your nose.

I totally agree!!!

My recommendations: to swap, give to a family member/friend, keep it to see if you maybe like it in the future OR spray in front of you and walk through it so it is very lightly applied. Maybe this way you like it better.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

time will tell..well i guess i'll keep it for a while until i'm ready to use it again glad