Topic: Perfume Imitations...

I have seen lots of different perfume imitations.
Preferred Fragrances, Instyle fragrances, and Belcam for starters.

Then there are tons of places where you can have a fragrance reverse engineered...or even get Vegan friendly perfume alternatives.

My question is...have you tried any of these perfume imitations, and are any of them any good? What have you tried? What worked...what didn't?

I love Angel, and I got Angel for Valentine's Day, but I'm hesitant to wear it because it is so darn expensive.
I've read good reviews for the Instyle version of Angel, and the Belcam version of Angel.
This place on-line called The Scent Factory also offers Angel (and a whole bunch of fragrances that I would love to try but can't find anywhere in my area and can't afford to blind buy)
Has anybody here tried or heard anything about them?
I would like to make my fragrances last longer. Times are tough...paying off student loans...and about to get married to boot.

I'm not affiliated with any of these brands/places either.

Last edited by jeffthebarbarian (2013-02-14 23:59:09)

Christmas with Conan is one of my favorite memories of fourth quarter retail hell.

Re: Perfume Imitations...

I tried TheFragranceShop because of curiosity. But like all perfume oils, it is a hit or miss thing with them. I love their own blends personally, more than their designer dupes. I love their China Rain, Calandre, and DKNY Pure. I have never bought a full sized bottle from them though, just the sampler packs, except for their Chocolate Chip oil which I love.

I'm in in love with 3 Jacques----Jacques Guerlain, Jacques Polge, and Jacques Cavallier.

Yes, some of them are very good. The Instyle version of Angel from Walgreens for instance - is like Angel "lite." Not a replacement for the real thing, but a nice and very enjoyable substitute. Same thing for their Opium.

Preferred fragrances has some really good ones too, and have a much better selection. I haven't smelled that many of them, but I did have their version of

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.11721.jpg  Lancome Tresor Midnight Rose

I gave it away when I bought the real thing, but before I did, tested them on each wrist and could not tell the diff. For real. They are 3 for $10!

Angel seems to be a perfume that does well when people do copies of it , I have the Belcam one, it`s very good. I like it better than the original  51

Their Euphoria version is good also. I have tried the Preferred Fragrance ones, I don`t think their quality is as good as Belcam, more alcohol content, not great lasting power. Some seem good though, but I found the Belcam ones to smell deeper and stronger , and often more accurate. It all depends on which one though, very hit or miss

Last edited by mi-jo.sayegh (2013-02-15 00:24:23)

They have some of the Preferred fragrances at Cato's, and some of them are pretty spot on...and some are really ICK! 
The preferred fragrance of Viva La Juicy for example (La Vida Loca) doesn't smell like it at ALL.
But their version of Burberry Weekend Woman (Bamberry) is a pretty good dupe of Burberry Woman...but not Burberry Weekend.  HA HA.

Angel "lite"...I may have to run to Wal-greens and try it. :-D

Christmas with Conan is one of my favorite memories of fourth quarter retail hell.

mi-jo.sayegh wrote:

Angel seems to be a perfume that does well when people do copies of it , I have the Belcam one, it`s very good. I like it better than the original  51

Their Euphoria version is good also. I have tried the Preferred Fragrance ones, I don`t think their quality is as good as Belcam, more alcohol content, not great lasting power. Some seem good though, but I found the Belcam ones to smell deeper and stronger , and often more accurate. It all depends on which one though, very hit or miss

My fiance wears the Belcam version of Aqua Di Gio, and he really likes it.  I'm looking at reviews for the Belcam Angel right now.  "Radiant" It has good reviews.

The Preferred fragrance versions that I've tried generally don't last that long, with two exceptions.  One is called Amazing, and it's a dupe for some Victoria's Secret (Incredible, I think)...and it lasts a few hours.  The other is Bamberry, which is a dupe for Burberry Weekend, but actually smells kinda like Burberry Classic.  I can smell it up to 4-5 hours later.

mi-jo is right about the InStyle frags not being as potent, but for the ones that I have - Angel and Opium - this is not a bad thing  wink

The glass bottle InStyle frags are better than the plastic bottle one which are like body sprays.

Instyle just came out with a version of this too.

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.1460.jpg  Viktor&Rolf Flowerbomb

Check prices on the real things first. Some of the duped frags have been out long enough that you can get the real one for a lil bit more.

There are a lot of dupes of celebrity fragrances out there for between $4.99 to $11.99, but most celebrity fragrances I can find at Ross, TJ Maxx, or Marshall's. 
I'm all the time seeing Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, and so on at Ross's.  I got a 3.4 oz. bottle of Queen by Queen Latifya at Ross for $6.99 on clrx.  They almost always have Reb'l L'Fleur there...and Fancy Love.

Some of the fragrances I'm interested in are Kenzo jungle L'Elephant and the discontinued Organza Indecence...which are both offered by the scent factory...I just wish I knew if they were legit or not.
I came across a mini of orgranza indecence for $25 at an antique store, and I LOVE it!

I do not like the real Angel, it is too cloying and strong for me; however, I do like the InStyle version of it since it is light and not so harsh. This is one of the rare times for me that I'd rather use the impression than the real thing. Plus it saves me a lot of money.

I have the InStyle imitation of Angel from Walgreens and it is a lighter version - sprays like a BOMB - but then settles nicely! I wore it to bed the other night - woke up and my sheets smelled wonderful!!

I also have the V&R Flowerbomb and I spray liberally with it, which is a pretty and heavier scent, but again - dries fast! I've had the Coco Mad for quite awhile and I really enjoy it because it is very "powdery" smelling, but it's been awhile since I owned the real, and it may be losing its' dupe factor to me. I sprayed the Euphoria version just in the store and could not believe how spot on the scent was! I also like the Opium and Be Delicious versions, and will go back and get Euphoria and Be Delicious during their next BOGO offer ($11.99 for 2? Oh heck yah!!)

I also found 2 imitations at my local Dollar Tree for $1 each! "European American Designs" is the brand, and I have the Extreme Happiness (Euphoria) and Token of Love (Carolina Herrera 212)versions. Both are very "pretty" but not much on any lengevity - great for air misting I think. (Especially having smelt the IS Euphoria and being blown away by the matching scent!!)

I think they are a fun way to layer with the real thing or until your "real thing" comes along, IMHO.  wink

Last edited by GIPShell (2013-02-15 01:06:06)

GIPShell wrote:

I have the InStyle imitation of Angel from Walgreens and it is a lighter version - sprays like a BOMB - but then settles nicely! I wore it to bed the other night - woke up and my sheets smelled wonderful!!

I also have the Coco Mad and I really enjoy it but it doesn't have much lasting power. I sprayed the Euphoria version just in the store and could not believe how spot on the scent was! I also like the Opium and Be Delicious versions, and will go back and get Euphoria and Be Delicious during their next BOGO offer ($11.99 for 2? Oh heck yah!!)

I also found 2 imitations at my local Dollar Tree for $1 each! "European American Designs" is the brand, and I have the Extreme Happiness (Euphoria) and Token of Love (Carolina Herrera 212)versions. Both are very "pretty" but not much on any lengevity - great for air misting I think. (Especially having smelt the IS Euphoria and being blown away by the matching scent!!)

I think they are a fun way to layer with the real thing or until your "real thing" comes along, IMHO.  wink

On their website, Walgreens seems to be running the 2 for $11.99 for the Instyle fragrances this week...for Valentine's Day, I guess.  I think I will go and try their version of Angel and see if how it fares.
The price is right, and I hate to wear Angel to work.  Not only is it expensive, but I'm afraid that it would knock some of the ladies right out of their high heeled shoes with it's power!
An Angel Lite might be just what I need.  56
I will definately smell the other ones too.

** Note: The Token of Love is the Carolina Herrera Carolina Herrera - not 212 version- whoops sorry!

Thanks for the Walgreens update - actually didn't go in this past week - I don't know if it depends on the local store or not, but they usually don't have the BOGO every week, and I know I saw it here last week and just "assumed" - HA! Should have ASSUMED instead that they'd give out a deal on Valentines Week!!  tummenupp

Well, I headed to Wal-greens tonight, and I checked out the InStyle fragrances.
I'm wearing the Angel on one hand, and Coco Madmoiselle on the other.
And both of them smell very good.

The Coco Madmoiselle InStyle isn't as complex as the original, but it is still very pretty.  I kind of wish I had grabbed a bottle when I was there.

But the Angel...I came home with two bottles of Instyle version of it. 
No, it doesn't have the depth of the original, but it is close!  My fiance agrees that it is a very good imitation. 
It is lighter than the original, but I would feel much more comfortable wearing this to work and saving my real Angel for special nights out (or in) with Carlton!
Carlton tried the InStyle of Aqua Di Gio, but we both agree that Belcam's imitation of Aqua is a better one.
That makes me want to try Belcam's version of Angel (called Radiant).

Woo Hoo!  That is 6.8 oz. of Angel "lite" if you will for 11.99.

I bought a http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.869.jpg Jennifer Lopez Glow dupe at dollar tree once. Started a thread about it and other people went out and got it because you can absolutely not tell any difference between the two. Also my http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.72.jpg Kenzo Flower by Kenzo is a dupe.

I discovered that what most people call creepy, scary, and spooky, I call comfy, cozy, and home

courtney.lirilli wrote:

I bought a http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.869.jpg  Jennifer Lopez Glow dupe at dollar tree once. Started a thread about it and other people went out and got it because you can absolutely not tell any difference between the two. Also my http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.72.jpg  Kenzo Flower by Kenzo is a dupe.

I got it also after that thread, we have Dollaramas here , it`s a chain, they have them superglad

I went to a Walgreens today - and there were a couple of the InStyle Impressions that had a "Last Chance" sticker on them, and they were $5.99. I asked the clerk and she said she thought they were discontinuing them in the stores because they were bringing in new ones, or maybe changing the bottles - she wasn't sure. EUPHORIA was one (the reason I was there!), BE DELICIOUS, BEAUTIFUL, and I can't remember the others... They also had these stickers on a few of the cheaper body mists - they were $3.99 - CHANCE, GUCCI ENVY ME, ED HARDY, MISS DIOR CHERIE... I noted that the tags all had (good until 9/25/13, so I think they are changing out their stock).

So, I'm not sure what is up with that?? I did get my Euphoria, and I will go back for maybe another stock up, and another Angel to stock up (Jeff, you were right - the BOGO 11.99 is going on at the store until 2/23!!)

I feel weird if I don't have the original one.  63

Last edited by underwatercity (2013-02-17 01:14:29)

I love Somethin' Special, I always order from Sue, but this is the first time I ordered her impressions. I got her impression of Viva La Juicy and I loved it even more than the original one which turns soapy on my skin. I've had over a dozen coworkers ask me for the name of it and the website, it's a huge hit! I also got her http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.738.jpg Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot and http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.744.jpg Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Banane and love them as well! I got Lush's version of Rock Star and Aquolina's Pink Sugar in body butters and they are exact dupes! Sue's products are vegan and amazing at a steal of a price, I'm obsessed with the perfumes, dry oils, and 98% natural body butter! She also does room sprays and wax tarts, just about everything! I highly recommend her, there used to be a thread on Somethin' Special on fragrantica somewhere, I'm not sure if it's still going but you can find her store at www.somethinspecial.com

New SWAP list here...

I am glad the BOGO is still going on until the 2/23!  I am definately going to go back for the Coco Mademoiselle!

Another big question, has anybody tried The Scent Factory?  They do reverse engineered fragrances, and they have a lot of discontinued scents.

Has anybody every tried a decent reverse engineered fragrance of Organza Indecence?

I mention that because The Scent Factory has a listing for discontinued fragrances and list this one.

I got a mini of the original Organza Indecence at an antique store, and it's a beautiful fragrance. I've tried the reformulation, and, while I like it, it's more sweet and not as deep. 
I'm wary of trying The Scent Factory, and I was wondering if anybody has tried it.

Bebette wrote:

I love Somethin' Special, I always order from Sue, but this is the first time I ordered her impressions. I got her impression of Viva La Juicy and I loved it even more than the original one which turns soapy on my skin. I've had over a dozen coworkers ask me for the name of it and the website, it's a huge hit! I also got her http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.738.jpg  Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot and http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.744.jpg  Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Banane and love them as well! I got Lush's version of Rock Star and Aquolina's Pink Sugar in body butters and they are exact dupes! Sue's products are vegan and amazing at a steal of a price, I'm obsessed with the perfumes, dry oils, and 98% natural body butter! She also does room sprays and wax tarts, just about everything! I highly recommend her, there used to be a thread on Somethin' Special on fragrantica somewhere, I'm not sure if it's still going but you can find her store at www.somethinspecial.com

Yuss! I like SS too. The Lush dupes are pretty good and comparable to the originals but cheaper and in various products (lotions, bubble bath, scrubs, etc.).

Perfumes and sushi are my anti-depressants.

Thank you for the recommendation, Bebette!  I will definately look into that!

I wanted to give you a little warning about the Instyle "Daisy"  it smelled great but once when I had it on my left arm and the real Daisy on my right, I realized that the dupe bleached the color off of my shirt.

My fiancé gets the instyle Armani code and the silage and lasting power is terrible but he doesn't want the real stuff sigh

jeffthebarbarian wrote:

They have some of the Preferred fragrances at Cato's, and some of them are pretty spot on...and some are really ICK!
The preferred fragrance of Viva La Juicy for example (La Vida Loca) doesn't smell like it at ALL.
But their version of Burberry Weekend Woman (Bamberry) is a pretty good dupe of Burberry Woman...but not Burberry Weekend. HA HA.

Angel "lite"...I may have to run to Wal-greens and try it. :-D

Ok, based on your post, I went into Cato today and tested ALL of the Preferreds glad The JLo Glow was spot on (smells like pure "soap" to me), the Angel was also the same "lite" version as InStyle! The Lady Gaga Fame (Monster) smelled only like cough drop candies and I was really disappointed. I thought the PH Can Can was actually quite pretty... I ended up not buying any (at $4.99 a pop, it was hard not to!). I did go back to Walgreens though, and bought the Body Mist of Miss Dior Cherie for $4.99 as a backup since it is so ridiculously similar to touch up with during the day!!

After reading this thread I went to Walgreens today to smell some things. I don't have any stores that sell perfume anywhere close by. I have never smelled Flowerbomb and thought since someone here mentioned it smelled close that it would give me a chance to see what it is like. I decided I am not a fan of it  hmm However, I sprayed that on my hand over 7 hours ago and I can still smell it. I only sprayed it one time.

I think I have read something about scent factory somewhere and it wasn't good. It was on a forum somewhere. I could be wrong and maybe it is a different site, but that really sounds familiar to me. I will check around and see if I can find it again.