Topic: Vintage Opium?

Please help me with dating this Opium perfume. I'm rubbish at identifying vintages, particularly Opium in all its incarnations. All I have is this picture (and a $45 price tag). Thank you!

30

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/$T2eC16JHJHQE9nzEyOzlBRBH19NU7!~~48_20.JPG

Last edited by divadani (2013-02-17 21:32:02)

Re: Vintage Opium?

It's vintage all right.  The new box looks like this



http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CAAOBemZL._SY300_.jpg

drummagick's Website

Re: Vintage Opium?

Thank you drummagick!

The seller just replied to my e-mail saying that they purchased the fragrance at a local department store two years ago. Was Opium reformulated shortly after that? I would have liked that it was older!

Re: Vintage Opium?

Ask the seller for the batch number from the bottom of the box and then you can date it yourself! It was reformulated around 2010 I think. Maybe 2009?

Anyway, as far as I can tell, older Opium smells about the same as newer vintage Opium. I don't think they ever messed with it much until they totally reformulated it within the last few years. I had a bottle the year it was launched and then bought my second bottle in the early 1980s and there had been a very slight reformulation in that time. I remember being really upset about it. Opium the year it was launched was omg incredible.

Here are the links to check the batch code

http://cosmeticswizard.net/

http://checkcosmetic.net/

Last edited by drummagick (2013-02-17 22:23:20)

drummagick's Website

Re: Vintage Opium?

In my earlier e-mail to the seller, I asked for her to send me any codes she saw on the box. She replied that there were some, but that she couldn't make them out without a magnifying glass. I might ask her to take a picture of the bottom, or maybe even go to view it myself since she lives in the same city. Too bad it's not a bottle from the 70s! Always on the hunt for one of those, as I'm sure many of us Fragranticans are  glad

Thanks for your help drummagick!!  12

I'll report back if anyone is interested, since it may help with dating bottles in the future.

Last edited by divadani (2013-02-17 22:58:14)

Re: Vintage Opium?

You're welcome glad

drummagick's Website

Re: Vintage Opium?

divadani wrote:

Please help me with dating this Opium perfume. I'm rubbish at identifying vintages, particularly Opium in all its incarnations. All I have is this picture (and a $45 price tag). Thank you!

  30

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/$T2eC16JHJHQE9nzEyOzlBRBH19NU7!~~48_20.JPG

This is the pre-reformulation.

I've just lost in an auction for this  24.

Re: Vintage Opium?

Aww, I'm sorry :(

There is always lots though!  When I first started rebuilding my vintage Opium stash, there were very few bottles for sale.  I"ve looked a few times recently and it seems there are a lot more now!

drummagick's Website

Re: Vintage Opium?

Aww! :(

Just keep an eye out on ebay, I'm sure others will pop up!

The one I posted is from a local seller.

Re: Vintage Opium?

divadani wrote:

Aww! :(

Just keep an eye out on ebay, I'm sure others will pop up!

The one I posted is from a local seller.

I just meant a similar bottle like this.

I've been hunting for vintage Opium for quite sometimes.

Re: Vintage Opium?

This one could be anywhere from year of launch through the mid 1980s and the price is reasonable!  Message them and ask for the batch number from the bottom of the bottle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPIUM-VAPORISAT … 1e77777e3f



Here's a few more



http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1998-OP … 1c303f3951



http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1-OZ-YS … 2c6c80a696



http://www.ebay.com/itm/yves-saint-laur … 4d09aef3e5

drummagick's Website

Re: Vintage Opium?

I've seen a couple of these on ebay recently

http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.4739.jpg Yves Saint Laurent Opium Collector Edition 2008

Can anyone tell me if the juice smells like the old formulation or like the new version?

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken  -  Oscar Wilde

Re: Vintage Opium?

Another question too for the Opium experts here: is the batch code reliable? I read something about YSL being bought by Estee Lauder, and as a result, the batch codes not being exactly accurate for dating bottles. i.e. some bottles may show up as being younger than they actually are. Is this true?

Re: Vintage Opium?

Batch number won't do you any good since YSL was taken over in 2009 or 2010 I think, their batch number websites will just say that it was before then and not give you the exact date.  I believe someone told me this box is around 2003 or earlier.  The EDT after 2003 did not have the gold on the lid and that juice is nice but not as beuatiful as the bottle with the gold on the cap.  I have this EDT and the juice is wonderfull!



this is the bottle , the second and third bottles

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk61/rizack_2008/perfumes/001.jpg

Nothing smells better then a freshly bathed Sheltie!

Re: Vintage Opium?

92

Thank you Rizack! I think the bottle that I am trying to buy has a gold lid, but still to be confirmed.

Re: Vintage Opium?

divadani wrote:

Please help me with dating this Opium perfume. I'm rubbish at identifying vintages, particularly Opium in all its incarnations. All I have is this picture (and a $45 price tag). Thank you!

  30

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/$T2eC16JHJHQE9nzEyOzlBRBH19NU7!~~48_20.JPG

I have the exact same box and the bottle inside is definitely before it was formulated. The cap has the gold line just like the pics above. My boxes date back to 80's - 90's.

Last edited by Ayana (2013-02-19 20:45:36)

Nothing beats the scent of Paradise.

Re: Vintage Opium?

Amarah wrote:

I have the exact same box and the bottle inside is definitely before it was formulated. The cap has the gold line just like the pics above. My boxes date back to 80's - 90's.

Wow, that is really good news! For some strange reason, the woman said she bought it two years ago at a department store. Now, maybe she's not telling the truth, thinking that I want a newer fragrance. Is she ever wrong!

Re: Vintage Opium?

divadani wrote:
Amarah wrote:

I have the exact same box and the bottle inside is definitely before it was formulated. The cap has the gold line just like the pics above. My boxes date back to 80's - 90's.

Wow, that is really good news! For some strange reason, the woman said she bought it two years ago at a department store. Now, maybe she's not telling the truth, thinking that I want a newer fragrance. Is she ever wrong!

Mmmm no she couldn't have bought it 2 years ago from a department store, unless of course she bought it from a thrift store or something like that... maybe she isn't telling the truth! I took a pic of my ones to show you.. Two are sealed and one i've opened.

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o677/amarah80/opiumvintage002_zps456c5050.jpg

Nothing beats the scent of Paradise.

Re: Vintage Opium?

drummagick wrote:

This one could be anywhere from year of launch through the mid 1980s and the price is reasonable! Message them and ask for the batch number from the bottom of the bottle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPIUM-VAPORISAT … 1e77777e3f



Here's a few more



http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1998-OP … 1c303f3951



http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1-OZ-YS … 2c6c80a696



http://www.ebay.com/itm/yves-saint-laur … 4d09aef3e5

Thank you very much for your help.

Actually I'm searching for a sealed bottle  smile.

Re: Vintage Opium?

The saga continues.... So, the seller sent me a blurry picture of the bottom of the bottle, when I can only just make out the bar code. I entered the code on this site and it was identified as belonging to L'Oreal Produits de Luxe International. Now, I think L'Oreal bought YSL in 2008... so, this could either be one of the remaining "old formula" bottles before the reformulations happened, or it's a newer reformulation.

56

Re: Vintage Opium?

Does anyone recall vintage Opium in this type bottle ever coming with a red sprayer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/opium-perfume … _70wt_1156

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken  -  Oscar Wilde

Re: Vintage Opium?

Dzisufero wrote:

Does anyone recall vintage Opium in this type bottle ever coming with a red sprayer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/opium-perfume … _70wt_1156



I've never seen such a thing!

drummagick's Website

Re: Vintage Opium?

Thank you. I thought it looked a bit suspect.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken  -  Oscar Wilde

Re: Vintage Opium?

Dzisufero wrote:

Thank you. I thought it looked a bit suspect.



That bottle should have had gold on top of the cap too.

drummagick's Website

Re: Vintage Opium?

thank you for this thread!! I'm am happily typing this is a cloud of vintage Opium ~ Purchased an EDP on ebay, and made a swap with a member for a 100ml EDT & 200ml heavy jar of body cream - this stuff is to die for!! My EDT is the one in the avatar http://fimgs.net/images/perfume/m.93.jpg Yves Saint Laurent Opium and now I need to get a couple of the EDT bottles with the red/gold caps!! Can't wait till payday!!




*does anyone have the Opium dry oil spray?????? I am soooo wanting this!!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-OPIUM-Perfumed-Body-Oil-Spray-3-3-oz-bottle-about-98-o-o-full-/00/s/MTYwMFg4MzE=/z/H4YAAMXQBNlRgGsA/$T2eC16R,!zUE9s38+HL3BRgGs!O8uQ~~60_57.JPG

Parfum is my Passion