Topic: Delagar Products

Back in the 1970's and 1980's, the five and dime stores and some drugstores sold products from a company called Delagar. They made inexpensive scented soaps, bubble bath, dusting powders, and even perfumes. Whatever became of them? Lander, which was similar, is still around, but the Delagar products had more scented things that were fun.

"Discourtesy is unspeakably ugly to me"--Hannibal Lecter

Re: Delagar Products

I know that Belcam, the owners of Classic Match and other dupe perfumes, are called Delagar Division , maybe the bought them ?

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/delagar-division … uses-point

They made those bath cubes wrapped in foli with pictures of different flowers on them.  I have some around here somewhere........

I remember them, they made those bath oil bubbles -- could never get them to melt!  Haven't seen any of their products in years.  Where do you find Lander?  I loved their products too and haven't seen them in years either(except on ebay).

Lander is sold in some drugstores, but they don't make all the cool stuff they used to. It's just standard lotions and shampoos now.

I did check out the Belcam website. They don't have the oldschool Delagar products anymore, other than the powder puffs that my Mom loved. Also, they only make knockoff scents now, not the original scents that we liked in the '80's. 46

Delegar is Belcam Bath Therapy now, I just looked it up

yeah, they have two of their own, not many more, their knock offs are the only ones I have ever thought smelled good and lasted, so maybe the new products are ok quality ?

Last edited by mi-jo.sayegh (2013-05-10 13:54:02)

Not sure. In the 1980's and early '90's Delagar had some scents that came in fancy-looking bottles and that smelled pretty darn good for the extremely cheap price.

One, which was actually NOT a Vanderbilt knockoff, was a flat round bottle with a frosted glass swan for the cap. My Mom actually liked it BETTER than some of her more expensive scents. The only thing she did not like was that it was splash bottle, not a spray, so we transferred the perfume to an atomizer and displayed the bottle on a shelf. I don't remember too much about how it smelled, but I do know it had an oakmoss note which was quite pleasant.

Last edited by KajiraSuzanne (2013-05-10 15:47:54)

cute bottles

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/m0WrFinTmDPkGYSM8bPs6rA/140.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqBK6KDKkYJrjGnNifObVDy2an4VO53_A1zCtsfQN31lLLFFTw

I remember the birds, I must have had some bottles also

Very nice indeed! I have one with a flower, and the swan too.

I can`t find any old info about the company, only that it was bought by Belcam :(  Maybe another parent company owned it before also ?

All I know is that it was bought by Belcam. I would not be surprised if their older scents are sold online on Ebay or whatever.

The one with the bird on top was called "Royal Dove". Not sure about the swan topped scent, I THINK it had "enchanted" or "fantasy" in the name (the label was a crummy little sticky thing that fell off and the ink ran.)

I have an empty bottle of the floral scent which had a glass flower for the top. Mine is magenta-colored. I don't remember the name. It came in different colors just like the Royal Dove and another one with a butterfly.

The swan scent was the only scent to have a white frosted top and a disc-shaped smooth bottle.

I think my bird one was yellow......my curiosity has been piqued

Dragon St Charles wrote:

They made those bath cubes wrapped in foli with pictures of different flowers on them. I have some around here somewhere........

You used to have to get them wet and them crumble them up with your fingers.  I used to love those things!

drummagick's Website

drummagick wrote:
Dragon St Charles wrote:

They made those bath cubes wrapped in foli with pictures of different flowers on them. I have some around here somewhere........

You used to have to get them wet and them crumble them up with your fingers. I used to love those things!

I always got those as stocking stuffers at Christmas. The floral scents were pretty decent, actually, especially the lily of the valley. The cubes were mostly made from baking soda and they were intended to both soften and scent the water.

I also liked the bath oil beads. They made many scents, as did Lander at that time.

One year I received some white flower-shaped soaps in a package, along with a few pearl-looking bath oil beads. That soap smelled SO GOOD!!!! It was mostly gardenia, I think, with perhaps some magnolia or tuberose. I am pretty sure they were a Delagar product, but later I tried to find more and apparently that scent was discontinued.

drummagick wrote:
Dragon St Charles wrote:

You used to have to get them wet and them crumble them up with your fingers. I used to love those things!

These were the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the thread. I don't think a Christmas went by during my childhood without me, mom or sister receiving those cubes as a gift from someone.

They did smell good to me when I was a kid. Wonder if I'd still like them now.

Call me NLS!  :-)

They have a decent amount of them on ebay. I'm accidentally winning a lot bid on a few fragrances right now and I found this forum via google trying to figure out what the Delagar Royal Dove would smell like out of the bunch. Any ideas? (the dove is gone though so no idea what color it was!)

My swap (FB, decants, samples: US/WW): http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=99001

I am pretty sure Delegar was the manufacturer of the bath oil beads my father used to get me when I was a little girl.  They fueled my early fragrance obsession. Usually they came in a plastic tube, and they were clear themselves.  There were green ones (pine), red (rose), and yellow and one other color but I can't remember what color it was nor the fragrance that went with the yellow ones.  I LOVED the way they smelled; even before I "popped" them under the water because the coating would NOT melt the way it was supposed to.

I remember the bath cubes too, but I didn't like them as much as the bath oil beads, mostly because I couldn't see through them like a jewel.

darcy2 wrote:

I am pretty sure Delegar was the manufacturer of the bath oil beads my father used to get me when I was a little girl. They fueled my early fragrance obsession. Usually they came in a plastic tube, and they were clear themselves. There were green ones (pine), red (rose), and yellow and one other color but I can't remember what color it was nor the fragrance that went with the yellow ones. I LOVED the way they smelled; even before I "popped" them under the water because the coating would NOT melt the way it was supposed to.

I remember the bath cubes too, but I didn't like them as much as the bath oil beads, mostly because I couldn't see through them like a jewel.

They also had an orange color, which was, I think, an orange scent (or citrus-y). I don't remember what the yellow scent was, although it may have been either lemon or vanilla.