Topic: Tips and tricks to make perfume last longer! (on skin and shelf life)

Hello all,

What are some tips and tricks you know to help your perfume last longer both on your own skin and also for shelf life?

I've heard dabbing vaseline on the skin before spraying helps the scent stick.

I also keep my bottles in a cabinet because I've heard sunlight and heat can change the scent.

What tips and tricks do you know of and use?

Last edited by thumper26 (2013-06-06 02:10:26)

Re: Tips and tricks to make perfume last longer! (on skin and shelf life)

Vaseline works, but I like using Neutrogena Body Oil right after I shower (while I'm still slightly damp). I think it helps extend the life of any fragrance I wear. It's not greasy at all and soaks right in. If you didn't want to use the oil all over, you could just use it where you will apply your fragrance.

I keep my perfumes (most have boxes) in a linen closet that is in a cool part of the house (not the bathroom linen closet). Heat and light are the biggest things that cause fragrances to go off. If you keep them in a dark place where it's cool they can last a long time!

"Smells are surer than sounds or sights to make your heartstrings crack". ~ Rudyard Kipling

thumper26 wrote:

Hello all,

What are some tips and tricks you know to help your perfume last longer both on your own skin and also for shelf life?

I've heard dabbing vaseline on the skin before spraying helps the scent stick.

I also keep my bottles in a cabinet because I've heard sunlight and heat can change the scent.

What tips and tricks do you know of and use?

Great tips and tricks, Thumper26. Will try the Vaseline and let you know.

I have found that a few drops of unscented oil or Jovan Musk Oil on my wrists help my perfumes last longer. This really works well with most of my fragrances, but especially love it with Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere.

I store my favorite perfumes and lotions of the season in my top dresser drawer for easy access. The others I store under my bed just in case!

Thanks for sharing. Great thread, Thumper26.

hjarta

Last edited by Lace&Leather (2013-06-06 12:18:47)

"Too often we underestimate the power of a smile, kind word,
listening ear, or the smallest act of caring..."

Sheridan wrote:

Vaseline works, but I like using Neutrogena Light Body Oil right after I shower (while I'm still slightly damp). I think it helps extend the life of any fragrance I wear. It's not greasy at all and soaks right in. If you didn't want to use the oil all over, you could just use it where you will apply your fragrance.

I keep my perfumes (most have boxes) in a linen closet that is in a cool part of the house (not the bathroom linen closet). Heat and light are the biggest things that cause fragrances to go off. If you keep them in a dark place where it's cool they can last a long time!

+ 1 hjarta Neutrogena Fragrance free light sesame body oil is great! It is not greasy at all and does soak right into my skin. Very silky too. Excellent advice Sheridan. Thank you.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a smile, kind word,
listening ear, or the smallest act of caring..."

I have been using a fixative for perfumes sold on etsy.com by Alkemia. I find it works well and my fragrances last longer on my skin. I store them in a cabinet in my bedroom away from direct light, and my room is generally cool.

ISO of Kate Walsh Billionaire Boyfriend- send me a pm if you have one to swap or sell.

Just ordered the neutrogena body oil so will give that a try!   Thank you for the tip!

I actually keep all my fragrances in a mini fridge in my bedroom. Besides protection from heat and light, I swear it increases the sillage. Of course that could be the placebo effect in action. : )

Thomasania wrote:

I have been using a fixative for perfumes sold on etsy.com by Alkemia. I find it works well and my fragrances last longer on my skin. I store them in a cabinet in my bedroom away from direct light, and my room is generally cool.

I've been wanting to try that, but I'm afraid it's going to change the scent of my perfumes.

"Those who understand only what can be explained understand very little." Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Storing them is fairly easy: keep them in their respective boxes, in a cool, dark place like a cupboard or wardrobe. One tip from me, DO NOT store them in the bathroom or in a bathroom cabinet. The heat and humidity from the shower can be just as detrimental as light.

I apply a light unscented lotion to the areas I apply fragrance if one fragrance of mine has poor longevity.

"Forever and a day, baby, that’s what I want when I’m with you".

Thomasania wrote:

I use this also and it works, let it dry because at first it smells alittle like lavender, then it wont alter your perfume. Also I use coconut oil, it is totally natural and very moisturizing, i just place more where I use my perfume, vaseline is petroleum oil as in petro oil -bad stuff.

Hiya  glad

If i am lucky i just buy the body lotions, talcs ( harder to come by though) and fragrance mist sprays to help layer my perfume and make it last longer. 

Lace&Leather wrote:

+ 1 hjarta Neutrogena Fragrance free light sesame body oil is great! It is not greasy at all and does soak right into my skin. Very silky too. Excellent advice Sheridan. Thank you.

It's really is good stuff, isn't it? I love it. It's moisturizing but not greasy (important here in hot Texas) and really helps fragrances last.

Cazzer wrote:

Just ordered the neutrogena body oil so will give that a try! Thank you for the tip!

You're most welcome! I hope you enjoy it, let us know how it works for you.

Last edited by Sheridan (2013-06-06 16:56:41)

"Smells are surer than sounds or sights to make your heartstrings crack". ~ Rudyard Kipling