Topic: New to swapping. How does it work?

I haven't yet swapped here, mainly because I'm not sure how to get started. Can someone please give me some guidance? For instance, how do I go about finding someone who would both be interested in what I have to give away AND has frags I want to sample?

I did once offer a bunch of samples I was no longer using but I didn't get much of a response. I'm not really worried about a $ for $ exchange; I'm more interested in moving along the samples that are not for me and trying the scents on my list.

I have indulged at Luckyscent but it would defray the costs a bit to do some sample swaps here with other members, and it would save me from eBaying the samples I don't get on with, which is kind of a PITA.

I live in the UK but spend a lot of time in the US, so both European or American swaps would suit me. I've beens selling on eBay for a while and have 100% feedback, if that would work as a sort of reference - ?

Cheers! :-)

Re: New to swapping. How does it work?

Hi puncturedbicycle,

It's pretty straightforward:

- List what you have for swap, including details such as concentration (EdT, EdP), amount, boxed or not etc.

- Wait for people to contact you via private messaging with their offer(s).

- Arrange the swap between you. I'd advise to send each other a clear picture of your swap items prior to final agreement, so you both know what you are getting.

Have a read of "the rules" too: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=20296

Do as I say, not as I do - The Others

What Dolby said.

Give and it shall come back to you Good Measure~Pressed Down~Shaken Together ~Runneth Over You can learn a lot from a dummy.

Many thanks. I think I had got it into my head that it had something to do with looking at people's profiles and matching up what I had to what they wanted, so posting a list of what I have is much more straightforward. :-)

puncturedbicycle wrote:

Many thanks. I think I had got it into my head that it had something to do with looking at people's profiles and matching up what I had to what they wanted, so posting a list of what I have is much more straightforward. :-)

Many members (myself included) do not take kindly to unsolicited swaps. If someone has a swap topic listed with something you want, it's completely fine to make them an offer, but if an item is not listed for swap don't ask for it. It's just general etiquette. Unsolicited swaps don't bother everyone but I personally find them to be rude.

Also, try to include some extras in your package! Extras aren't required, but it's polite to include a couple of samples or some cosmetics, etc. (use your imagination). Sometimes members will throw in an entire extra bottle!

Swap topic (7/23): http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=98641

temporalgrace wrote:
puncturedbicycle wrote:

Many members (myself included) do not take kindly to unsolicited swaps. If someone has a swap topic listed with something you want, it's completely fine to make them an offer, but if an item is not listed for swap don't ask for it. It's just general etiquette. Unsolicited swaps don't bother everyone but I personally find them to be rude. !

+1

Give and it shall come back to you Good Measure~Pressed Down~Shaken Together ~Runneth Over You can learn a lot from a dummy.

I would keep a close eye on the swap board for people willing to swap to your location, and reach out to them with your list if you find something you want that you think you might have a chance to swap for.  I find I have better luck when I'm more proactive and reach out to others.

Before I offer a swap, I usually try to take a quick look at their profile.  If I notice they've got most of my swap list on their "have" or "dislike" page, or they've mentioned being picky, I won't message them.  I also only message people who have things I want in a similar price/type range.  For example, most of my swap list is cheapies and celebrity scents, so I try to only contact people who have similar things available. 

And as far as basic etiquette stuff, I wouldn't ask for things that aren't actually being offered.  I also think it's polite to respond to all inquiries, even if it's just to say you're not interested.  It always looks better to have a reputation of good communication.

Good luck!  I just started swapping myself and have had some great experiences.

swap list: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=97742

thecatapproves's Website