Designers » A » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma for men

Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma for men
dislike

I have it: 520 I had it: 115 I want it: 460 My signature: 19

Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma for men Pictures Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma for men Pictures Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma for men Pictures Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma for men Pictures Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma for men Pictures

Italian house of Acqua di Parma launches a new fragrance Essenza di Colonia which appears on the market in August 2010. Essenza di Clonia is accompanied by an interesting advertising campaign with photos by Giovanni Gastel.

Simple game of black and white announces Italian style and reminds us of tradition of the house and classic Art Deco Colonia flacon which was created as matt black flacon this time. The advertising campaign features an elegant smoking, which is an embodiment of style and elegance.

The new Essenza di Colonia is a flanker to edition from 1916, based on citrusy-woody notes of bergamot, lemon, mandarin, orange, grapefruit, petit grain, neroli, sage, rosemary, lily of the valley, rose accords, jasmine, patchouli, vetiver, white musk and amber. The fragrance can be purchased as 50 and 100ml edc.

vetyver Petitgrain Musk Jasmine Neroli Patchouli Rosemary Sage Amber Bergamot Grapefruit Orange Mandarin Orange Rose Lily-of-the-Valley Cloves Oakmoss

Colonia Essenza Special Edition 2015
Neroli Portofino Forte
Mediterranean Neroli
Cologne Indélébile
Colonia Russa

Essenza di Colonia Fragrance Reviews

TAP
TAP

This is a wonderfully natural, classic, soapy, herbal, warm and rich citrus fragrance bursting with neroli and other traditional Mediterranean citruses, flowers and herbs. I find it also has a slightly animalic/leathery twist which reminds me more of ambergris than the amber listed among the notes.

knoxknoll777
knoxknoll777

Utterly beautiful!!!

RobertdeNiro
RobertdeNiro

In the foreground of this delicious summer, scent is a standout neroli note, shadowed by a citrus chorus and floral hints including jasmine and rose. Essenza Colonia exudes summer and will leave you with a refined, post-barbershop aroma.....

RealPerfumeLover
RealPerfumeLover

This is a really great scent. It ticks all the boxes for me as far as smell, freshness, silage, projection and longevity is concerned, it might not be beast mode but it is above average. The best thing is that the smell is quite unique and gives you a constant feeling of freshness. I definitely get the Neroli notes in abundance. It can be compared to Tom Ford Neroli but only in parts not completely. In the world of scents where there is so many out there which makes it difficult to decide which one to make your signature, for me this one is an extremely strong contender, price wise also this is quite reasonable. Once you have start loving the smell it shouldn’t come as a surprise that you consider buying another bottle and make it a 180ml, I am thinking on the lines right now 

BriantheFragranceNewb
BriantheFragranceNewb

This fragrance is very easy to like. I get a classic citrus with masculine floral (rose I think), but then this fragrances also adds the clean notes of petitgrain and neroli. I pulled the trigger on a full size tester after using two sample spray atomizers. This should serve as a very versatile scent in my collection.

Buckeye
Buckeye

This house continues to impress me. I don't know what is so special about their products. Is it their simplicity? Or is it the class the put in their bottles? I don't know, but I just love this brand.

ADP Colonia Essenza is similar to the original ADP Colonia, but with a kick to it. The opening is almost the same, but Essenza has a floral scent to it that the original doesn't have.

They are both fresh, classy, soapy, and remind me of the times I wasn't born. They are reminiscent of simple, innocent, and honest days that everyone was nice and kind.

Highly recommended.

hcrv
hcrv

I really enjoy this cologne. Longevity is 6-8 hours. The change during the dry down is very interesting and enjoyable. There's a constant fresh, clean smell and during the day I find myself occasionally smelling where applied this cologne. Nice citrus vibe, then just a very clean fresh powdery smell during the dry down. I don't get the "old barbershop" odor that some people find.
There's some individuals who state that more and more chemicals have been added to the formulation of Essenza over time, but they never provide any evidence. They just state the opinion is based on their "nose". Acqua Di Parma is known for quality ingredients and I don't think that has changed. This is my signature cologne here in sunny Florida and it's great for work, out on the town, and all year round. I just love this cologne and think it's worth the price.

Javi
Javi

MASTERPIECE

Ricardo the Great

ADP Essenza is a supreme fragrance that should not be ignored. A terrific Italian fragrance by a century old Italian house.

HotSince75
HotSince75

This was purchased as my wedding day fragrance 5 years ago, and was also my introduction into the world of what I considered 'luxury' fragrances.

Having being used to purchasing the designer fragrances of the department stores, this was a breath of fresh air to my senses.

I tried 'Aventus' 'Hermes' and some others but was not that impressed straight off.

This is the one that grabbed my attention so I purchased it.

I had to wait months before using it but it's a beauty.

It may not appeal to all because it is floral/ citrus to my nose, but give it a try.

nero77
nero77

Stunning Eau de Cologne...

Now, I think this is an updating/repackaging of the original Acqua di Parma Colonia. Essenza di Colonia feels like a slight twist on that original theme. I find it appealing and elegant.

It lasts a good while, but not for the entire day (which is to be expected, as this is still very much an eau de cologne concentration). The balance of citrus and herbs is of the quality you would expect for this company. Made to a very high standard and with refined elegance.

However I feel that this does not add anything new to the game. Whilst it is refined and smells expensive, we know that this is a well trodden path. That being said, it is a good one for your money if you know what to expect. I would recommend sampling first. It may be just me, but I have smelled this kind of thing in many incarnations, however it is still worthy of purchase just for the quality alone. I do recommend it for formal and smart casual wear, as a daily fragrance. Really good stuff!

fabio.bernieri
fabio.bernieri

Una delle mie fragranze preferite. Elegante, distinta, versatile, persistente ma mai invadante. Racchiude gli aspetti positivi della Acqua di Parma Colonia "base" e li attualizza.

Dal punto di vista aromatico, la freschezza agrumata della Colonia tradizionale è qui controbilanciata da note più mature e maschili di legno, patchouli, vetiver e ambra.

Voto personale: 9/10

mikenac
mikenac

I agree. I don't see the comparison to Boucheron. Essenza has more citrus and neroli, and I get the lavender like "barber shop" a fair amount. I feel comfortable wearing essenza casually in the heat, where Bourcheron feels much more formal to me.

Both are good scents, but I think they have different places.

Louismanuel

Jose Marcos: I have both Colonia Essenza and Boucheron. They both are Citrus Aromatic and there ends the similarities. It's like the Sun and the Moon, which share the same Universe, that's all.

And Anphiro: maybe you should try owning a fragrance before commenting after a single sampling.

Fragrances are very much like women, you need time to get to their hearts. With one date you only scratch the surface.

For Fragrances the following rule should apply before reviewing:
At least 1 full days wearing per Season under dry and rainy conditions (that's 8 wearings). And the same for night.(That makes 16)
Most of the fragrances I own, I haven't reviewed, simply because I haven't wear them often enough and can not do them justice.

All those single sampling review on Fragrantica are useless and worthless.

bet85
bet85

Another casualty of reformulation. Terrible longevity, and horrible synthetic citruses. How could this still pass as "essenza"?

Anphiro
Anphiro

It starts very fresh and crisp, but as the scent matures the heart and base notes become a muddled soapy mess. Could be just my skin chemistry, but other scents from this house have let me down in the same way.

Since Acqua di Parma has been acquired by LVMH it seems like prices have gone up, and many of its fragrances' notes are now obtained through a generous use of aromachemicals, and Essenza di Colonia is no exception to this change.

The original Acqua di Parma was certainly very old fashioned in its character, but at least it had one.

These modern re-inventions just don't measure up in my opinion.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

Hello, Louismanuel...

Chicago Tony is right. If Essenza were in eau de parfum concenration it would be very close to Boucherron pour Homme, EDP. But I agree that the eau de cologne has to be an easy and soft scent. But when we talk about smell, they both are in the same basket.

Louismanuel

Hallo Chicago Tony. Wake up from your freaking nightmare.

You either have tried a wrong version of Acqua di Parma Essenza or a wrong Boucheron. I have the sharp, pungent and bitter citrus Boucheron pour Homme you are comparing to this Italian beauty I have just got in today. There is no old school vibe to this one whatsoever.
In fact, I have just decided that I will stop buying old school frags for being sharp and pungent like the brand new blind buy I was wearing this morning: 3e Homme de Caron. man that is a disgisting frag for at least 3 hhours before it died down on me.

As for the notes breakdown, LuxAestiva has done a pretty good job already on his review. I also detect some soapiness from the opening on.

I agree there is not much resemblance to Neroli Portofino in this one. But that can hardly be an issue, since 4711 and Thierry Mugler Cologne are the closest to NP according to Fragrantica reviewers. Unless for the opening, I have my serieus doubts about that.
If I didn't botter the ridiculous pricetag i would have bought NP in Rome last week. In stead I have a paperstrip here on my desk. That is a lovely fragrance. And will stay on my list.

Back to Colonia Essenza
Che bellezza!

After 3 disappointing blind buys only 2 weeks ago, I was quite cautious with my purchase and only bought the 100 ml gifset. I should have ordered also the Assoluta version
with a huge discount (56 5/100 ML) and safe myself the 8 € for mail and Visa costs. I wonder how long will I withstand the temptation.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

The opening is very sharp and pungent. It has a bitter and herbal quality that does not sit well with me on top of the light citrus. It is more of a dignified/mature warm weather scent but I am not feeling it at all. I would imagine if you like this then Boucheron is another that you most likely will like as well. Both have an old school vibe to me. Performance is average and it's not a bad scent but it's not for me at all.

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

I was brought to this fragrance by my love for neroli and to be honest, this isn't what I expected. The opening is gorgeously fresh and fragrant. Bitter neroli with peppery bergamot, sour grapefruit, bright mandarin peel oil. Think earl grey tea, orange blossom water, freshly sliced grapefruit, and your hands after peeling an orange. There is a very smooth, almost undetectable, transition to a warm, spicy, green herbal drydown. To my nose, vetiver is by far the strongest note in the drydown, which is supported by a strong base of rosemary, sage and oakmoss with a still present citrus. It smells like lemon verbena or lemongrass, which would be a clever way to get a longer-lasting citrus note.

It definitely carries a vintage, classic, aftershave, barbershop smell to it. It reminds me of my grandfather, but still manages to maintain a modern relevancy. It's so fresh, clean, but still manages to be rich. It lasts AGES for me, which is saying a lot because my skin slurps up fragrances like this in no time. Fair silleage on this one, but close enough to be worn to work. This is most fitting for mature, classy guys 20+.

If you are expecting a Neroli Portofino, this isn't the same. It's warmer and richer, while NP is cooler and cleaner. The opening is similar to NP, but I would compare it closer to the drydown to Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford. Don't expect something the same to either though. It is qualified to do the same job as NP (being a fresh, citrusy, summer cologne scent) but does the job much better because of it's significantly stronger performance. I applied both of them on seperate arms around 2.5 hours ago and NP is hardly detectable and Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza is going strong. It's like two guys working the same job, except NP quit right before his lunch break and CE stays and works overtime.

groover
groover

First thing that came to mind was a
fresh version of kouros, at least a
more modern take on the old formula.
I find it to be a very fresh and nice
summer scent with good quality.

Gazo30
Gazo30

For me this is my ultimate fresh scent, i just love to use this on a warm day when im out & about. It is pretty similar to TF Neroli Portafino but i prefer this. I get a pretty solid 10-12hrs longevity from this when i spray 4/5 sprays on me, its not a projection beast but thats not a bad thing.

Projection: 6/10

Silage: 6/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Its Italian Class In a Bottle!

budge
budge

Smells fantastic, really fresh. But,and its a big but for me. Its very expensive,it doesn't last long,and I didn't realise that its just cologne. I paid 90 quid for a 100ml bottle of cologne that lasts around an hour,Doh!

pierre.v
pierre.v

Scent Association : Old World Barbershop and clean shaven men from the golden age of Italian cinema.
__________
SUMMARY: Mature, Best in Summer, Heat Activated, Modern opening, Old School Dry-down, Classic Masculine.
_________

This is the fragrance I most looked forward to when I recently started my collection. I could not decide between Essenza and the original and living as an expat in Asia there was nowhere I could actually test it either.

There was a review on YouTube by Lanier Smith from Scents Memory that gave me the impression it was going to be spectacular.

The opening is just eyes rolling back and staggering back a few steps kind of spectacular. Just a burst of Mediterranean Summer and sexy Italian energy. I'm thinking cocky Italian men in black t-shirts and sunglasses hanging out on Vespas under a cloudless sky.

But this soon took a turn, and in the dry-down I picked up prominent notes that just reminded me of old world, sixties barbershop. However, I tried it again a few weeks later. This time only doing a single spritz, as this fragrance projects beastly, particularly in the heat.Even with one spray, I could still smell it on my skin 14 hours later.

Its not called 'Essenza' for nothing - less is definitely more with this one... I just wish I could shake off the old world barbershop vibe on this one.

zaetown
zaetown

At first this to me smelled kind of old school vibish but more of a modern classic smell is what I get now. I really enjoy the freshness and vibrant vetiver note.

The orange smell is prominent and very close to authentic fresh orange peel. The neroli is noticeable as well.

Overall this thing is a blast of shower clean freshness that is definitely a pick me up mood scent, great for warmer days, it even performs well on me in cooler climates.
I would buy this again once my bottles runs out.

Overall: 8/10

Calvini
Calvini

This is rather green and spicy (herbal?) on top of the citrus, not as much neroli as users suggested, and definitely doesn't resemble Neroli Portofino.
Very good masculine cologne though, doesn't feel generic.

Kjordan441
Kjordan441

I enjoy this fragrance. The issue I have with it and why I don't use it is because it requires time to appreciate. With the relatively brief encounters we have with others in our daily lives there is no time available for them to really experience why this is so nice.

I've got a bacon theory. Follow me on this. Smelling bacon makes you hungry. Meat eaters wake up in the morning. They smell bacon. They want bacon.

I use Green Irish Tweed practically every day (and Aventus in between). I get close to someone new and there's a good chance they may comment about how nice I smell. It's easy. This Man has a smell and that smell is da Bomb. They want "da Bomb." Metaphorical bacon.

If I use Essenza there's a good chance someone new will think something smells nice-ish near them but they're not quite sure how to feel about it. There's no metaphorical hunger.

Essenza doesn't evoke feelings, It evokes thought. That might be good if I'm sitting around having a drink with other folks that appreciate the nuances of fragrance and have a slight fetish. But it ain't "bacon."

...And my view is that neither are 95% of fragrances.

dimsal
dimsal

The Essenza di Colonia could be considered the "modern dude version" of the "core" Colonia but it is neither much different nor actually so much more masculine compared to the original (just a bit less floral/sweet and more green/"nerolic") and only provides sillage and longevity similar to the inexpensive Colonia body lotion in my experience. So by itself it could be a very good and totally likable scent, but why bother, I wonder.

ScottyVizz
ScottyVizz

My new signature scent.

*Fresh and spicy.
*Herbal soap.
*Luxurious/elegant yet subdued.
*Dense enough to pair with a coat in the winter months but airy and citrusy enough to sport during a trip to the beach in July.
*Niche quality with natural ingredients that warrants an extra $20 from your standard designer price.
*Photogenic black bottle with the classic AdP flacon shape that looks so nice on your mantle.
*Addictive scent that will keep your nose cuffed to the spot that you sprayed on.

LOVE AT FIRST SNIFF. This is the one fragrance I won't give away. If somebody asks, I'll make up some name (or just tell them I'm wearing TF Neroli Portofino).

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Bazı markaların parfümlerinin büyük bir bölümü başarılıdır. En azından benim beğenilerim öyle bir duruma işaret ediyor. Örneğin Serge LUTENS, Lalique, Le Labo bunlardan bazıları. ADP da bu markalardan birisi. Benim favorim İntensia ama Essenza da iyilerden. Evet 40 yaş civarında olanlar için ilk etki "berber kolonyasi" yada "eski" gibi olabilir ama biraz zaman verirseniz oldukça kaliteli bir klasik ile karşı karşıya olduğunuzu göreceksiniz. Gençler sevmeyebilir zaten hedef kitle onlar değil. Son derece başarılı bir vetiver - turunçgiller karışımı. Bu tarzda kokular çok fazla olmadığı için burun duyarlılığı fazla. Kısacası ilk bir hafta kullanan kişinin üzerindeki etkisi harika. Kalıcılık gayet iyi koku dağılımı ise ortalama. Resmi, 40-50 yaşlarında, şık ve klasik bir erkek portresi veriyor. Fazla kullanmamak lazım çünkü kuvvetli bir parfüm. ADP nin yaz ayları için harika etki bırakan mavi serisi dışında en iyilerden birisi. Kadın parfümlerinde ise yine oldukça başarılı parfumler var. Fiyat , performans bakımından oldukça başarılı.

gelo999
gelo999

When Ellena and Duchaufour come together to make a fragrance Essenza can only come as something spectacular.

Essenza is a classic fragrance with dyes but modern barbershop resolution with a "savoir faire" undeniable in this style of fragrances.

Citrus and fresh entry is full of light and it is certainly an excellent quality and a great olfactory result, has a perfect balance between the phases of development of the fragrance that can only be summed up in perfect elegance, even for me taste better than the classic colonial house, the aromatic and spicy touch is relegated to the background, not the case with petit grain that feels majestic making the transition and combining white flowers and rose to the zenith of the relaxed neatness.

Drying-based fragrance musks make a fantastic time and combines retro and soap to making a nod to the classic barbershop lotions with a perfect balance between the natural versus synthetic and without falling into any disinfectant or cleaning territory, reminding those great Italian soaps beginning of last century, at this stage it reminds me very much of the legendary YSL Rive Gauche.
I am not a great lover of these synthetic mixtures and soap, yet this is brilliant! !

Retro yet within a modern concept, and although it seems a topic really is very stylish, with excellent overall quality, very good length and shout at any time without whom around you.

Has plenty of class and exudes masculinity.

Rating: 7

Sussudio
Sussudio

I started exploring the AdP range a few years ago with the classic colonia fragrance while being on a holiday to the Canary Islands . At the time I thought it was a great clean, soapy and classic fragrance that was perfect for talking a walk along the nice coastlines. I liked it a lot but the longevity was quite poor and at times I felt too young for the fragrance. Maybe it was also a bit too soapy for my liking as well and eventually I ditched it.

Fast forward 2015 when I bought the shower gel for Essenza. Suddenly this great clean and soapy scent was empowered with a deep masculine woodsy smell that really takes Colonia to the next level. I absolutely loved how I smelled after showering and decided to buy a full EdC as well. The cologne is a bit more soapy compared to the showergel at first, but the dry-down is exactly the same.

On top of that there are absolutely no longevity issues at all. This is beast mode for me, it's still going strong after 8 hours in the office which is more than I bargained for. I would even say it outperforms a lot of my other fragrances. Sure it does not project like A*men, but with this kind of elegant scent it would only hurt the overall feeling.

Compliments? Depends. My girlfriend likes it a lot but it's a different kind of compliment as with D&G The One for example. This is more the 'you smell nice' opposed to 'you smell sexy' kind of compliment. Which is ok for me as it only makes it even more excellent for office wear.

True gentlemen fragrance, classic yet modern. Clean yet masculine. Soapy yet woody. It has been a while since I wore a fragrance 4 days in a row and that tells a lot. Love it!

FORTEZZA
FORTEZZA

If you ever wanted to know what an Italian barbers shaving cream smells like, it's more than likely this. It's a really nice citrus vetiver wood, it has elements of Tom ford grey vetiver in that regard, but this is slightly more casual. It's got that out of the shower citrus clean vibe, pretty soapy. It's very pleasant and the longevity is spot on. There's a lot of other versions in the same citrus vetiver soapy category, so try a few before committing, but this is definetely full bottle worthy.

landshark321
landshark321

I liken Essenza to Assoluta and the original, with its main standout notes being orange and neroli, both of which strike me as significantly more pronounced in Essenza than in the original or Assoluta (after trying Intensa much earlier today, I can offer that Intensa is, to me, quite different from the others). Grapefruit and perhaps another citrus lie in the background, and musk as usual forms much of the base. I had a difficult time detecting some of the spice notes, especially patchouli, in all but Intensa, but there are again a few base notes listed

Longevity and projection are again the same: moderate in projection, decent in longevity (6-8 hours or more). And the usage is similar--generally a summer day, given the citrus-dominance and that it's not too heavy.

As a side note, it's great that these are all priced similarly so that potential buyers can choose the fragrance they like most without pretense. I probably lean toward the original or Assoluta but Essenza is very pleasant as well.

7 out of 10

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

A stunning fragrance. It has some similarities with regular Colonia, but Essenza seems more full and rich, with the strength of an edt. Classy, refined and elegant. Work well in all seasons. This is Italian "chic " at its best.

AZ
AZ

I really love this scent and now on my third bottle.

It is amazing nerlio scent better than TF which goes more on unisex feminie sweet but this one is sophisticated masculine smell.

orestes
orestes

In my opinion the best male scent made by acqua di parma house since now!

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

Ultimate ultra chique green soapy smell for real men...love it...enough said...

the_badger
the_badger

I wish the Neroli was more dominant, I still prefer NP as my Neroli scent but I can't afford a fb of it, oh and guys check out CDG Series 4 Anbar, its not half bad either and resembles NP more than this one. AdP is more complex, more sophisticated but all I wanted was a long lasting Neroli in at a affordable price. The lemon in this reminds me of detergent! My search for the perfect Neroli is not done yet, the journey continues..

Update.
Really good. You can really smell the quality. I have always thought of citrus fragrances as cheap but not this one. Just had a sample of Eau Sauvage and it just cannot compare to this.

walking44
walking44

This one has a decent opening. I like it. Once it dries down it smells exactly like Prell liquid soap :P

cytherian

*UPSHOT*: Terrific Neroli based fragrance!

Essenza stands out from the rest of the Acqua di Parma Colonia line with its totally solid black bottle. No, not even the brightest LED light will penetrate it. Actually, I wish they'd have made it just barely translucent like the Intensa Oud and Leather fragrances AdP recently came out with. Because you really can't know how much is liquid is left in the bottle unless you weigh it when first purchased and keep track! But otherwise, it's the black & white formal affair bottle of all time.

It's Citrus & Neroli blended to perfection. There's grapefruit in there, but nicely tamed--no sharpness at all. It's delicious, actually. You'd almost want to spray it in your mouth for a quick freshener. ;-)

I won't go on a long schpeel about it with a glamorous story, as it's all been said that has to be said in earlier reviews. Only to say that if you like what you see in the notes, you're safe for a blind buy. You can wear this pretty much all year round too. I think this is probably the BEST Colonia line fragrance Acqua di Parma has ever made, to date. I have Intensa Oud which I really enjoy, but if I had to choose one it would be Essenza.

Note: for the longest time, you could only get AdP fragrances from authorized retailers. But eBay has changed all that... and now you can get discounted testers and partially used bottles for MUCH less than retail. That's how I've bought all 5 of my AdP fragrances and not one disappointment--only joy at getting good value.

Fragrance: 9.5, Longevity: 8.5, Value: 9

mike_miristis1
mike_miristis1

This is far more accessible and wearable than the original colonia which can for many people be polarising (you'll find that a lot of women don't like it and men find it a bit too 'old' for their liking).

For me personally i think this is a great signature scent as you can wear it in any environment whether it be to work (typically a suit and tie kind of job) or if you're wearing jeans and feeling casual.

It dries down really nicely to this pleasing, manly and soapy-barbershop cologne scent that is contemporary and versatile.

It also certainly does have a similarity to neroli portofino from tom ford. There is a slightly stronger opening which opens up as a more rounded and masculine scent and then dries down to this very nice clean, light and sophisticated musk.

If you don't mind the linear neroli note in neroli portofino and would like a more rounded fragrance then go for ADP Essenza; you'll also save yourself a considerable amount of money.

GMK
GMK

Absolutely boring and headache inducing in the name of freshness , I don't know what you call it but I can immediately relate it with a lot of detergents in the industry with this sharp pungent and disturbing freshness.

Neroli Portofino is lot better than this imo.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Absolutely love this one! Opens with a very amazing neroli with a backdrop of other citrus and slowly dries down to beautiful herbal neroli ending with the emphasis on neroli. Other notes pop in and out here and there but these are the main players. Amazing! Almost the same drydown as AdP Colonia but with more neroli. No need to buy Colonia if you like this one, the openings are different but after 15 minutes they trek along a same path. Plus, this one has much better sillage and longevity.

I got it. This one could be re-named AdP Colonia EDP!

steve0580
steve0580

*** The top part of this is the update from my original review ***

I was able to get a half full bottle of Essenza for an excellent price, rather than just a couple of samples. After a few wearings, my opinion of AdP Essenza has changed.

The fragrance itself is excellent but unfortunately, as with so many other AdP fragrances, sillage and longevity are weak and Essenza dies very quickly. If others are experiencing better results, I'm both envious and happy for you, however, this becomes a VERY faint skin scent on me in under two hours. After that point, unless someone is right up against me, they can't smell it. I have to put my nose against my arm to smell it myself. I don't need sillage and longevity monsters, however, it has to be better than this for me to consider it full bottle worthy and put down $150 to buy it.
*******************************************************************************

Original review -> Right off the bat, I notice a huge similarity between this and Neroli Portofino. There's no doubt in my mind that NP now suffers sillage and longevity problems due to a reformulation or watering down of the fragrance in some way. I had a couple of vintage bottles and they were just fine. A couple of months ago, I bought a retail bottle from Saks and there's a noticeable difference between old and new.

After reading repeated commentary about how AdP Essenza is so similiar, I ordered a sample and after getting it, I find that I'm loving this fragrance.

Adp Essenza seems more rich and full. The projection and longevity are much much better than the current incarnation / reformulation of Neroli Portofino. Additionally, there is a note that makes it seem even more fresh than NP. Add that to the fact that AdP is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of NP, this is a hands down change for me. I'm converted to Essenza. No more retail NP for me.

myonlyvice
myonlyvice

Assoluta is my favorite warm weather cologne, Essenza is my winter daytime cologne. Both are easy on the nose and very pleasant, and put a smile on my face when I spray them on. Helped me cut down on caffeine.

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

A dream come true - a masterpiece, perfect masculine elegance in classic form - represents the embodiment of the aspirations of many perfume lovers to have a 4711 cologne with a concentration much improved, with great longevity and more masculine notes.
Compared Tom Ford Neroli Portofino is higher quality (smell more natural and stronger), clearly a male fragrance and three times cheaper.

P.S. This is all about the way Vito Corleone smells when coming out of a luxury barber, while he wearing an Armani tuxedo and a red rose in his breast pocket :)

Fragrance 8/10
Projection Medium
Longevity 10 h

George Ch.
George Ch.

It's a perfect Cologne. I wear it everyday and I find it's scent absolutely stunning. I am not going to describe it's scent because I totally agree with the description has been made by fragrantica, but I will say that it's a perfect 10/10 Cologne. (Acqua di Parma is a house you can trust)

MonadiFloria
MonadiFloria

The scent is clearly a very citrusy one, with a hint of floral notes (smell like jasmine to me) at the back. It smells like a basket of bergamot, orange, lemon put together, which is kind of interesting at the begining. However, after 5 minutes, the citrus becomes a lot "rounder" but not in a very positive way. The fragrant quickly turns to something I can always smell in the toilet of some higher-end shopping mall, and even my office.

Bunino

Old school...ooooooolllllld school elegance. I love it during the especially warm months here in Florida.

crypticat
crypticat

I'm amazed at how people wax poetic over this. This smells to me like I scrubbed my arms with the soap of a particular motel chain in the U.S. I'm NOT enthralled.

Edit: the comment above this is hilarious. I'll give it another try after a good sinus irrigation

[email protected]@r
C@nn@r

WOW what a beautiful cologne!! This is what a true gentleman's cologne should smell like!! It's elegant, fresh, and sophisticated. It opens with a breathtaking blast of citrus as ADP is best at. Next comes a bit of the florals, neroli, and rose. Lastly you get the musk, cloves, and amber at the base to add a hint of spice. It smells like elegant soap, fresh citrus, and crisp neroli/florals!! Very solid longevity with comfortable projection. Overall amazing cologne from ADP!! Well done!! Can't wait to get my hands on a bottle.

psebi101
psebi101

Very elegant, sophisticated, luxurious, stylish, classy, manly, clean.

This is not really a fresh citric, because it doesn't emphasize the fruit but the tree flowers and leaves. Beautiful orange blossom is the star in this one. The citruses give the freshness, aromatic herbs the spiciness and the rest of the flowers the elegance to sustain the gorgeous orange blossom.

I don't think it's a summer only cologne, it can be worn formally any time of the year.

Projection: 6/10

Uriya
Uriya

The Colonia Essenza deserves a place of its own in the spot light amongst the men's best fragrances EVER made. Now, I am not over excited about it or just a huge fan of ADP: This is the real thing.

That cologne can replace a collection of dozens of perfumes, because it is so well made and stand out in the crowd even if you place it next to perfumes that triple its price tag. Yes, it is a big statement to make and yes, there are great colognes out there, especially Citrus-Neroli based ones - But this one here gives a very good fight for the crown. A third 180ml bottle is on its way to me, and I can't wait to use it again.

It suits a hot weather perfectly, but because of its prestigious smell - would do wonders in colder weather and when applied for classic night outs/events/dates. I'm in love and you'll be too!

Top notch Eau De Cologne.

alberto1964
alberto1964

Elegant cologne for classy barber shop. Very well balanced citrus notes and neroli. But if you want something original and daring, this scent is not for you.

Classic citrus and soap.

Lovely

Guest_MonsieurK
Guest_MonsieurK

Natural citrus freshness layered on a base of gorgeous spice, florals and amber. I feel so good with this every time without fail. Refreshing, deep and mysterious. Perfect performance.

This is an extremely handsome fragrance and in my opinion, the best of the AdP Colonia line. Italian chic bottled up. It's like being at an outdoor concert in Portofino or Tuscany, listening to Andrea Bocelli serenading while the cool evening wind lifts wafts of this beauty off your silk scarf past your face. Effortless panache, ease, romance, class, elegance, la dolce vita!

Suitable for anytime, any place and comes highly recommended. What a breath of fresh air.

Ricardo the Great

AdP Colonia Essenza is as close to perfection as a fragrance gets. Just a heavenly fragrance that I never tire of - fresh and clean. If you don't have this parfum in your wardrobe, then seriously consider it. This is a mature fragrance, probably not well suited for teens/college age.

johnsmunro
johnsmunro

A classic style eau de cologne fragrance. In the likeness of Tom Ford - Neroli Portofino (and 4711) but cheaper. Longevity and projection aren't quite as good as NP but that might be acceptable for the price difference. Any way you spin it, it's a wonderful citrus/neroli/soapy fragrance that you just want to wear all the time. For those who love smelling fresh, go for this! I have it and I love it! Happy Hunting.

Hassan Nasrallah
Hassan Nasrallah

wow how sophisticated this perfume is , wow how elegant this perfume is , it is really like a mystery perfume of the nights and king perfume of the days i wear it for special occasions and casual life , i love this perfume really it is a source of happiness for me .

jhitt793
jhitt793

One of the more beautiful hesperidic openings, Colonia Essenza bursts forth with an amalgam of citrus. Here bergamot, lemon, orange, mandarin, grapefruit and petitgrain join forces to create a beautiful top accord. The effect is certainly mood enhancing and uplifting to its wearer. This opening is short lived, moving aside for a more subtle floral heart. Rose, jasmine and lily of the valley are combined with clove to add a bit a spice to the aromatic accord. Sweet neroli blossom decorates the dry down being accompanied by herbal facets of sage and rosemary, and blending nicely with earthy oakmoss, patchouli, and woody vetiver. Overall a complex fragrance which is fresh yet sophisticated. I see it as a contemporary interpretation of the classic ADP Colonia. (140)

LANIER
LANIER

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza was created in 2010 as a flanker to the original Acqua di Parma Colonia that was launched in 1916 in the midst of World War I. The original, nearly a hundred years old is very beautiful, very classic and very Italian. Where as the deco bottle of the 1916 classic is clear glass to reveal a golden juice the bottle of Essenza in the same design but is rendered in opaque black glass with an elegant black and white label. It is as formal and stylish as a great Italian suit by Armani or a Brioni tuxedo. Masculine, romantic and filled with a history of glamour of the house that was a favorite of such stars as Cary Grant, Ava Gardner and David Niven Essenza does not disappoint. It is glorious, chic and supremely beautiful.

A bold Citrus Aromatic, it opens in summery warm notes of bergamot, lemon, mandarin, orange, grapefruit, petit grain, Neroli. These notes never fade but are built upon by the addition of the aromatic herbs of sage, rosemary and clove. These give the fragrance its classic barbershop center. And this barbershop is not a typical corner barber but a grand luxury barber such as you might find in the Excelsior hotel on the via Veneto in Rome.

In the center of the fragrance there is a small floral flourish of rose, jasmine and lily of the valley. These notes are very much in a supporting player mode and remain soft and comforting. Like the manicurist who does your nails while your face is wrapped in seaming towels before a shave. All is burnished to a rich beaten gold hue in the dry down by the arrival of amber, patchouli, musk and oakmoss. In essence, the soothing finish to a relaxing luxurious and very pampering shave.

For cologne it is surprising in its longevity lasting on my skin a good eight hours. The push out of the sillage is moderate after the initial spays that come on very strong. For me it was a love at first sniff and a real stand alone fragrance in the Acqua di Parma line. When I bought it I was actually on the hunt for a new incense heavy fragrance but when I was shown the line and sniffed Colonia Essenza my shopping itinerary changed and I decided to find out just what magic there is in this magnificent Italian house.

Sono innamorato di Roma e si sente nel mio cuore come tornare a casa.

ACQUA DI PARMA COLONIA ESSENZA ~ FIVE PLATINUM STARS

(FOR THE ROMANCE BEHIND COLONIA ESSENZA VISIT MY BLOG SCENTS MEMORY)

anna.dkr5
anna.dkr5

I wonder if it has the same pungent peppey accord as Colonia Intensa.

sdcga161
sdcga161

I am so on the fence with this one, as I stare at my Bloomingdales' receipt and wonder, "Do I return it?" It's a lovely scent, to be sure, but the soapy note almost ruins it for me. I enjoy Mandorlo di Sicilia so much that I am willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt, but I have a feeling that receipt will keep calling to me...

farang
farang

I love this! It starts with citrus notes, continues with beautifully blended floral notes of orange blossom, rose, and probably jasmine, before it dries down to a woody scent. It is long lasting and extremely elegant and sophisticated.

It is also quite reasonable in price, and has a unique blend that I have not found in other fragrances. A winner and one of my top favourites!

jimmutenno
jimmutenno

it does'nt work for me.after i used couple of hours its already gone on my skin...

Scentica2009
Scentica2009

The most versatile fragrance ever. I thought Creed Himalaya was the nicest clean scent but this blows it out of the water, and costs less.....absolutely stunning!!!

muncierobson
muncierobson

I LOVE this!

Shares the same citrus aromatic characteristics of colonia, presented in a softer, more floral and wearable way.

The citrus top notes are strong but never harsh and the florals add depth and warmth whilst retaining a masculine aura through a warm and woody base.

Top quality ingredients have been used to produce this fantastic cologne: thos supports the elegant and classy image. This lasts a good 6-9 hours on me and projects moderately - it draws in those in close proximity and generates many compliments!

It is expensive, but i have yet to smell a superior alternative!

#winning

sensitivesniffer
sensitivesniffer

My whole life I've bought colognes around $50-$70, just those popular name brands. I asked a very wealthy friend of mine his favorite for around $100-ish and he said this one. I bought a sample, and I wanted to hate it. Because I don't want to love an expensive cologne since it will make me broke. Too bad because I loved it. And so did my girl. I told her "This is the last time you're ever going to smell this because I'm not buying it, so get a good whiff" haha...well, until I start making big bucks. I consider this cologne more a nighttime sexy scent that girls love, although more people voted it as a day time.

rum
rum

I was initially hesitant to buy a bottle after sampling it in stores during 2010 and 2011, but a bargain on the For Sale board persuaded me to go for a bottle. I was glad that I did, as I now find I am addicted to this scent.

First of all, regardless of whether you like rose, you'll be please to hear that the heart is a very refined and masterfully blended rose/jasmine/rosemary that just has to be the best masculine-rose-blend I have ever tried. No powdery after scent, no dodgy notes to go with it. Just a very smooth, refined all-over scent.

It's described as a winter scent strangely, but I find it has worked in the summer for me so far, albeit at limited quantities. To me it feels like a year-round scent, suitable for all sorts of weather.

First off, I get some of the grapefruit and tangerine. Subdued and authentic, the rose/jasmine/rosemary heart kicks in fairly soon and the transition is just magical. There is petit-grain and patchouli in there too, but even after a day of wearing this, I still detect the heart notes on my skin/clothes. It's a strong scent, but not overpowering. Very Mediterranean, true to the AdP heritage, but so modern and very smartly put together.

I have long been a fan of the original Colonia as the best citrus there is, and I still am, but Essenza is a worthy 'upgrade' that will for sure be in my wardrobe for years to come.

aditya123
aditya123

The only word that comes to mind........ SPARKLING

cytherian

It took a while for me to finally notice Acqua di Parma in the huge range of long term fragrance houses. It was related to some vintage chatter going on about how Cary Grant, David Niven, Audrey Hepburn and others made Colonia their "go to" fragrance. The tapered bottles instantly struck me as so classic. I wanted one. But which fragrance?

Colonia, Assoluta, Essenza, Intensa... They all seem to share the same general accord. Well, it was going to be a price roulette deal with me--whichever I could bid on at a reasonable price.

Retail is $180 and for a while you could get it for under $100 off "that auction site" for partially used or even new. Unfortunately, there seems to be a growing awareness of AdP, so prices are up again. I don't feel this is worth the full retail price, but around $100 or less and yes, that's worthwhile. The bottle IS magnificent. The proportions and feel reminds me so much of Chanel and their rounded off squared bottles. The cap is nice and solid. On Essenza, the bottle is solid black glass so you can't see into it at all, just like Lalique Encre Noire.

So the fragrance. A wonderfully potent citrus floral blend with a little woody vetiver. Very nice. Very classy. Sillage is rather low as some people have pointed out, but longevity is proving fairly well. Definitely an office friendly fragrance. I don't have any other low sillage fragrances with decent longevity, so this will fill the spot well. I'd love to try the Intensa Oud, but there's too much attention on it right now causing prices to go out of my budget. :-/ 9.3/10 for fragrance, 7.5/10 for longevity, 6.5/10 for value.

blaisepascal87
blaisepascal87

OMG! O_O For me it's the identical copy of Eau Sauvage!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I'd be able to tell the difference between this and the regular classic Colonia if I were to smell them side by side, but my memory of them is that they are similar. Both are wonderful citrus colognes in the grand old fashion. This is quite nice.

Perhaps there is a more prominent rose note in this than usual.

As was noted elsewhere, this one seems to last like an EdT, at least on clothing.

osiris5
osiris5

This is the modern update from the classic colonia version.
It is not as aristocratic as the original one.
Colonia is aristocratic, this is business class.
It fits for semi formal use.

Colonia essenza isn't natural as the classic one is.
I think, it fits well to elegant man in 30th and 40th.
The middle notes are a bit sharp and harsh.
It is for man who seek elegance and modernity.

What I'm telling now will may wonder some of you.
This fragrance is a real modern version. It fits especially to men who want to put elegance and style to there masculinity. This is not for men who want to be macho, but for men who want to symbolize they live up to higher even spiritual standards. It combines class and sexual attraction in a civilized manner.

And the most wonderful thing about it is, that it behaves as an EdP. That is special for a cologne, although i still prefer the original one far more .

Bunino

I just received this in the mail today. It's my first niche frag. I'm not sure about it yet. It seems a bit too mature for me, oddly enough. I'll have to give it some time. Very musky throughout like my grandma's Shalimar. Haha.

Edit #1:

I've worn it several times. I can tell what's going on now.. It's very unique. Smells like orange blossoms and jasmine but still retains a sense of masculinity. It's a keeper.

aeg8193
aeg8193

Wow. What an absolute gem. Acqua di Parma have managed to make a citrus fragrance unique. No mainstream 'cologne-y' aspects of this, it is extremely natural smelling. A rare type of fragrance that is uplifting and can literally make you feel better about yourself when you spray it on. It's subtle after the first couple of hours, and I think that works perfectly in its favour.

mrs2241
mrs2241

ترکیباتش شباهت زیادی به "پلاتینیم شانل" داره

oxm
oxm

I'm not a big fan of colognes, but I could try this from a sample that gave me and I must say it leaves a very relaxing freshness of citrus and herbs, vetiver is the master here and there favoring other notes.
I had to find a resemblance with another scent, I'd say it reminds Armani pour homme
although this colony has notes of vetiver cooler but is very close to Armani pour homme.
For the summer you could not ask for better ...

Svezzy
Svezzy

I was disappointed the first time I used it, didn't feel it was right on me and it was smelling differentely than the normal adp cologne.
I gave it a second change and i really like it.
It smell of clean and definitely something different than all the common perfumes around.

aussiecrew
aussiecrew

Acqua di Parma Essenza is such a vibrant, masculine scent that is perfect for any gentleman. I use Proraso Shaving products from Italy and than apply ADPE to complete the experience. The feeling you get is like walking out into a busy Italian city after being in a day spa relaxing. Fresh, elegant and sexy.

Emmanouil
Emmanouil

I can agree with all of you guys...An interesting, impressing opening for me , as I am a citrus vetiver lover..but without lasting at all.From the other hand, we can not expect miracles from an "eau de cologne", but the price in the market is high and I would think a little bit more longevity.Definitely a not value for money purchase!!

kazewayz
kazewayz

Wasn't really impressed by this one in the beggining, but then wore it again and I liked it. It's Citrusy, powdery, sweet, a little woody in the background. It is how ever: mysterious, dark, elegant, and sophisticated. Worth the price? That's debatable. Longevity is not great, that's a big let down. Try it anyway.

celadoster
celadoster

This is a very expensive scent that dont earn the value. The first bullet is good and smell fresh. After flow to a cheap rose soapy fragrance and is it that stay. Sincerely, for the $$, it is little. Orange d,Hermes is very best and masc.

jgirgar
jgirgar

I've had this now since Feb 2011 and what a wonderful fragrance. For a cologne it almost behaves like an EDP. It's fresh yet has a subtle 'heft' that I like and projects kindly. Very nice, very elegant and lasts beautifully. Reminds me of a Votivo candle I used to get in 1999 which I believe was a lavender scented. Lovely. JG 113012

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Fresh orange blossom coupled with rosemary and bergamont is mainly what I am smelling. Though I can detect hints of jasmine and neroli and this smells very nice especially coupled with the slight woody vetiver note I'm picking up.

All in all a worthy addition to the AdP range.

vergil_s
vergil_s

عطر خاص و منحصر به فردیه.
اما به نظر من یه کم کلاسیک و مناسب سن های بالا تره.
واسه مدیر مهندس های شیک پوش خیلی خوبه.

marioslg3
marioslg3

Very elegant perfume at a reasonable price taking into account the quality of the scent.
I was indeed impressed by the longevity and sillage as we are talking for a colonge. Fantastic expensive smell, natural, elegant and classy!

jozemo
jozemo

expensive and smells like it at first, after it drys on the skin ,you get a fine soapy fragrance , it could be more on the extreme side,it's likeable and you can dress it up!

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

I tested and bought this in John Lewis and I have to say what an impressive fragrance. Sprays on citrusy and woody with light florals dancing around. It stays very clean smelling throughout and dries down to a light soapy finish. It smells very classy and elegant, I totally get the comparissons to Eau Sauvage in parts. This to me is an all weather fragrance and I am so glad I bought this. I am now looking into other fragrances by Acqua Di Parma.

MUST8936
MUST8936

It's elegant like "Guerlain Vetiver",sparkle from orange like "Eau de Cartier Essence d'Orange" and serious like "Eau Sauvage". If you want to live in endless summer, you will live with Essenza di Colonia!

milkyway
milkyway

This scent screams expensive! It is not overly complicated, but it just smells like all of the ingredients are of the highest quality.
It's herby and woody and citrussy- all in the right proportions, all when you want it. As soon as you get tired of the top citrus notes, the creamy vetyver and amber kick in, then it all settles in and gets wrapped in rosemary leaves.
Lovely scent, really. Straight to the point. I personally prefer something with a little more omph to it though..just a little.

editionblanche
editionblanche

Sicilian lime with subtle florals, damn this is so elegant and italian... but it's also so short lasting that i wouldn't buy it again. ends up being too expensive

I love the bracing citrus opening of COLONIA ESSENZA: bright and juicy. Shortly thereafter, ESSENZA returns to its roots, paying an unmistakeable tribute to its namesake, COLONIA. Unlike ASSOLUTA and INTENSA, ESSENZA really seems like a sensible flanker to me (one that commences from and builds on but modifies its source of inspiration) and so is appropriately named.

Like COLONIA, ESSENZA boasts a large dose of herbal aromaticity which comes through quite strongly as the citrus dissipates. In this case, rosemary pairs with sage to produce a complementary effect to that of the rosemary and lavender in COLONIA. Predictably enough, I find this composition, like its namesake, too masculine for me to wear. I wish in this case that the citrus played a greater role rather than disappearing so quickly to make way for the herbs. But I suspect that most people who like COLONIA will appreciate this composition as well.

As for myself, it appears that, when all is said and sniffed, I'm not really a COLONIA kind of gal. I prefer the iris and magnolia perfumes of this house.

mehrdad
mehrdad

برندی که نام هـنرپیشگان بزرگی را در جمع دوستداران خود داشته و نیز دارد
هـنرمندانی هـمچون: کری گرانت - آوا گادنر - آدری هـیپورن - اوا تورنر - وودی آلن - شارون استون و کوین کاستنر از استفاده کنندگان این برند بوده و هـستند هـمچون برند کرید که بسیاری از چهـره هـای برجسته از دوستداران آن بوده و میباشند

Essenza di Colonia is indeed an obvious Colonia flanker, however I feel that this fragrance is a lot richer and more masculine than its predecessor. I had considered wearing the original Colonia myself in the past, yet with Essenza di Colonia I wouldn't dare.

The scent opens with highly concentrated lemon top notes and zesty hints of orange blossom. It's essentially the scent of a classic cologne; citrusy and fresh. The sweetness apparent in the original is not present in this fragrance, nor are the floral accords. Earthy and grounded herbaceous notes are what makes up most of the heart.

For the first few hours, Essenza di Colonia struck me as being a rather intensified citrus cologne. It refused to be shy, adopting instead a rather biting and rough quality. I find it very intriguing to say the least. I particularly like how it can smell classy one minute, and fierce and rude the next.

The drydown does tend to develop into something soapy and clean, however the masculine qualities remain. Essenza di Colonia is quite a strict, 'no messing around' kind of fragrance, that exudes a lot of distinction and sophistication. The sillage can be strong at times, but it's mostly inoffensive, while the longevity is very powerful, especially on clothes.

While it does appear to be a warm weather scent, I think it could also work well in moderately cool weather, like those in-between seasons before the heat sets in. All in all, I'm impressed.

querelle
querelle

Screams class from miles away. Real gentlemen will love it dearly cause it has that quality which is equivalent to fine clothing and good manners. However, there is something missing here..

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Very nice and fresh, kind of orange blossomy.
Though quite expensive for the smell it is.This is a very casual scent with a formal pricetag.

mal23
mal23

This scent is firmly suited for a well dressed fancy night out on the town. For Spring/Summer. A more refined scent than Colonia which has its similarities. I like for dressing up only. Not for an everyday scent or casual use. Overall 7/10

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

I introduced a friend to ADP and she ended up purchasing ADP Intensa. I was very surprised when she gave me a sample of Essenza. I could not wait for it's release.

Essenza is the essence of Colonia. They have added a couple of extra notes from the original formulation. This flanker is a modern and lighter version of Colonia. It does have staying power and the silage is faint.

More and more places are now incorporating a "no fragrance policy" in the work environment. One would be able to wear Essenza to work and not be written up for breaking the policy. It wears close to the skin, allowing the wearer to enjoy it and not offend supporters of the "no fragrance policy."

I look forward to adding this to my collection, placing it next to my bottle ADP Colonia Assoluta (my favorite ADP).

Update: added to collection on 9/02/10.