Designers » A » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur for women
dislike
Total people voted: 1902

I have it: 1456 I had it: 551 I want it: 866 My signature: 42

Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur for women Pictures Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur for women Pictures Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur for women Pictures Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur for women Pictures Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur for women Pictures Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur for women Pictures Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur for women Pictures

Agent Provocateur is the signature fragrance of the house. Its sharp very intensive animalistic and very provocative juice has become a modern classic combining Indian saffron, coriander from Russia, Egyptian Jasmine and Vetivert from Haiti among other exotic elements.

The fragrance is in a wonderfully tactile precious porcelain bottle with the shape of an egg (or a bomb?). It is so rosy and innocent, contrasting with its wild and shameless erotic scent.

The composition starts strong and sharp with a spicy note of saffron. Warm floral notes of magnolia, Indian jasmine and gardenia blend together with strong woodsy-chypre scent. There is very animalistic amber and musk notes in the base.
The perfume was created 2000 by Christian Provenzano.

Perfume rating: 3.44 out of 5 with 1902 votes.

Magnolia Indian Saffron

Lady Vengeance
Mad Madame

Agent Provocateur Fragrance Reviews

mrs.hart

update: i just bought a new bottle (the slightly different design with bolder font and a curlicue letter g). have to report its been clearly reformulated and it smells clearly different than my older bottles. the scent is more powdery, less creamy and less pungent (which i loved!), there is less saffron, more clean musk and plenty of powder. the backbone is harder to tell apart, the personality is less defined, the staying power and sillage are less than half of what they were and overall theres no more controversy about this perfume - its not challenging anymore. i am heartbroken. sure its stiill wearable and its nice but much less than it was.

nellyrlight@aol.com

amazing sillage..beautiful..not for the shy..as daring as it gets..LOVE.

Coffee_Girl
Coffee_Girl

Oh my goodness do I love you Agent Provacateur. You are love at first sniff; a beautiful stranger, an alluring beast…a master of disguise. You are a queen and a princess, a lover and a heartbreaker; too beautiful to control and too wild to love.

This is one of the most gorgeous florals I’ve ever had the pleasure to experience; it’s definitely an oriental rose- thanks to the saffron notes in its composition. Some of the reviews distinctively say this feels like a “vintage perfume” and I totally agree; it’s classic but not mature at all- youthful but not restrictive to any age group.

Agent Provacateur reminds me of my travels in India; every morning the market stalls near my apartment will be decorated with garlands of flowers and rose water…with women setting up sticks of incense on the little altars that sometimes line the streets. That’s what this perfume reminds me of: gorgeous oriental roses with a little spice and saffron. The dry down is a little musky with mostly roses and hints of jasmine, I don’t sense the amber in this but I do notice the vetiver.

This is a “wet” roses scent, fresh morning buds with little dew drops on its delicate red lips; it’s an optimistic floral full of happiness and confidence. I will say that this is unexpectedly the rose that I have been searching for all my life; it is reminiscent of the blossoming of youth, innocence, and sincerity. It is, in my opinion – the reason why roses are the queen of all flowers. I fall in love every day that I wear this.

petravesna

It's Sleeping Beauty's Dreamy romantic with a happy ever after ending, not a seductress's perfume

It's like the story. The opening hit me as stuffy room full of old unpleasant cronnies shouting their spell thanks to strong coriander notes. However, once it looses the offending coriander pungent smell and settles into a generic-flower sweet warm resin smell dusted with a quite a lot of powder it becomes rather soft, sedative and safe. Is like roaming through rooms confused yet knowing the rose is somewhere. After 12 hours later I can finally smell the rose with a hint of gardenia. The prince found his sleeping beauty and with his kiss roses bloomed. I might call this perfume dreamy romantic and is good for a cuddle and candle time with your long term boyfriend/husband.

Madrona
Madrona

Pleasing, sexy, musky rose, but not sexy in a way that I would find provocative - just a classic, burlesque-y, Dita von Teese kind of feminine to-hell-and-back sexiness. The rose, even when paired with a carnal musk, is just too dainty for me - I like when sexy scents for women have a strong unisex factor, assertive, intimidating, and this just isn't doing it for me.

Decadence85
Decadence85

In my opinion, this is the young and sexy sister of Knowing Estée Lauder and based on that, I bought a pack of three 25ml bottles and gave one to my mum, my best friend and kept the last for me. We all love it.

janeofdoe
janeofdoe

This is an absolutely gorgeous ( let me stress that ) GORGEOUS ROSE! Veryyyyy surprised patchouli isn't listed because I could swear it's in there. The best rose in my collection so far.

knotslandinggirl
knotslandinggirl

I forget I own this, I also have L'agent which I love love,and I often let this slip by.

I definitely smell the rose but the Vetyver gives it that sharp quality I love,which gives it an almost chypre feel.

I wore this one day while at the dentist and he commented how beautiful I smelt lol....

Agent provocateur never fails...... As so does the lingerie which I own too....!!
Edit: This really is one of my favourites as I have recently worn this,and wondered how I forgot I owned this...gets so many compliments and people ask what I am wearing, agent provocateur perfumes are underrated and deserve the respect they own!!!

FetishJess
FetishJess

I bought this blind based on reviews and the fact I owned most of the list that other people had bought. I'm not disappointed. I actually went on a bit of an Agent Provocateur splurge and bought this, L'agent and Petale Noir in one go. I'm in two minds about which is my favourite.

I'm a heavy, musk, oriental kind of girl and this is absolutely jammed full of rose. I have Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir, which is also a rose overload, and I adore that! This is no exception! It's fabulous! There's rose and musk and not much else but what else do you need? The longevity is great and it doesn't suffocate a whole room, just my companion. It's a welcome addition to my ever growing collection.

KJS88
KJS88

I don't get the skank or stank in this. I've an Arabian attar with similar accords (saffron, coriander, rose, cyprus, etc.) that give it a bitter, chypre-like (i.e., chypre without oakmoss) edge that might come off a bit "pissy" sometimes, in hot, humid weather. But Agent Provocateur registers as a dry, rosy chypre quite similar or Aromatics Elixir and Aramis 900. It's lighter, more modern, and cleaner than those two, but lasts just as long. The bitter rosy chypre-ness seems to be underscored by a very modern musk not unlike that in the base of Narciso Rodriguez (black and pink bottles). It certainly does give the impression of being clean, but worn intimately and on a warm body. I guess being a lingerie brand, that's what they were going for. It's good stuff, but probably better for cooler, dryer weather or evenings.

I happened upon this while looking for a birthday present for my mum. She's always worn Aromatics Elixir as a cool weather staple, and this comes across as a more wearable, year-round take on that theme.

Many people have noted that this is a love or hate scent; I can't help but wonder if this has been reformulated recently to clean it up and boost appeal: I got 200 ml EdP for less than $70AUD and when I sprayed it to test in the store, a number of people were asking what smelled so nice.

I give it 7/10.

gtabasso
gtabasso

I do not get where people smell rose in this! It is a chypre to me or a floral aldehyde heavy on the aldehydes. It goes on very unique but then dries down to a typical vintage chypre. I am amazed no oakmoss or aldehydes are listed in the notes. It is light and soft without the characteristic sharpness. this is a skin scent that does not last or project on me.

AhArya
AhArya

Agh...death by roses. This is headache in a bottle for me - too strong, too sharp, too loud, and the longevity is a beast. Not for those who like delicate frags, and especially not for those who are not into pronounced roses. I get the same type of headache from Soir de lune.

n87
n87

I'm torn between the fact that i really love this, and the fact that my partner says it smells like old ladies. I think it's beautiful. Rosy musk with beautiful spices. It does smell old fashioned, but i like that. It radiates really well and lasts all day on me. Hopefully if i wear it enough it may grow on my partner? Here's hoping.

Christian Caggiano
Christian Caggiano

This is a weapons grade frag make no mistake and I fully understand why it is a `Marmite` scent as they say in the UK, meaning there lovers and haters and NOTHING in between.
I blind purchased it for my wife and it arrived 2 days ago. The first impression – an amusing, small and elegant little pink hand grenade with a removable clip ready to explode when you unpin it. And explode it did with the first spritz…am I lost in the unnavigable labyrinth of a Moroccan bazaar where they sell saffron, magnolia and rose petals….or in a flowered forest chasing deer ..or the boudoir of a Parisian courtesan a hundred years ago? A beautiful revelation of powdery Moroccan Rose and Musk. `A flower bomb` as someone said, but it`s not for the faint hearted as it is not particularly sweet smelling at all but has a pronounced dark and sensuous side and therefore I cannot agree with the forum contributors that say it is old fashioned or resembles the sweet flowery rose perfumes of old ladies.
As with the experience of others on this forum this scent gets under your skin and into some deeper area where pheromones are sensed and reacted to.
For 2 days now I just cannot stop smelling this scent. Yesterday I wore it, albeit at home but on the weekend I will forgo my Leathery men's scent and will wear it outside.
The legendary Nose behind Clive Christian C, the great Christian Provenzano considers this scent amongst his greatest creations and I don’t believe that is just because of its awards and great commercial success since its release.
It was a revolutionary when released in 2000 and I believe it should be considered a masterpiece.

onaona
onaona

Agent Provocateur is a Cougar.
Mature
Tenacious
and sexy as all hell!

This is not the fragrance of an innocent flirt.
It's the fragrance of mature fully realized sexuality.

This is not the fragrance of a tentative first date.
It's the continued intimacy of the morning after, when he still can't get enough of you.

The notes are unexpected. The rose here has somewhat of a dusty quality to my nose, lending to a throwback feel and probably the notion of maturity. I would have thought notes of ambergris, civet and harnessed pheromones, none are listed.
The projection and longevity are unparalleled. Once sprayed on, it will be with you for life.

You should be prepared.

Agent Provocateur is definitely a statement maker. Believe me, It. Is. Revealing!
The question is, is it the statement you want to make?

Absolutely ;)

Ani1978
Ani1978

With the AP scents its quite simple either they work with your skin or NOT! If so they Are pure Magic ! Im one of the lucky ones that love the AP Line beside the 3 new scents that was too sweet, now cant Wait to try their newest scent should be out soon , hope my AP boutique Will have it !

Selena93
Selena93

Ladies,
Close your eyes to all the bad reviews!
HONESTLY, this stuff is just WOW in a bottle ❤
I picked this up today & couldn't wait to try it the moment I got home,
With only ONE spritz, just one, it lasted over 5 hours!
I'm amazed, it's extremely sexy & seductive,
Why do I feel exotic with this on? ;)
Glad I bought it, absolutely in LOVE!

BaWika
BaWika

I sooooo agree with chicagodoll92's review below. I can't think of anything sexy or provocative when I have it on me. I really do not enjoy this, it is heavy, powdery, musky, has that vintage-perfume-style scent. I am so sad I spent money on it when blindbuying but happy I bought only 25ml. Will gladly offer it to someone who enjoys it

Nil3
Nil3

Kylie Minogue wears this.

chicagodoll92
chicagodoll92

I am one to appreciate every scent and find some beauty in every fragrance...except this one. Reading the reviews I thought, "People say the same nasty things about Angel - smells like pee, smells like a corpse - and I actually find Angel alluring, so I'm going to give this one a try!" Nope, no, noppidy nopy no.

People, stop romanticizing and sexualizing something that smells like your grandma's old panties just because it's made by a brand who specializes in sexy lingere. I don't mean to be graphic but the best way to decribe what this smells like is "a prostitute during one of the World Wars."

In all seriousness, this is just a very vintage, heavy, overpowering musky rose. Do not make the same mistake I did - do not blind buy this. Try it out, and see if your mind takes you where mine took me when smelling this. Yuck!

Christie-Jack
Christie-Jack

Reminds me of powdery roses - it is lovely and unique.

I cannot help but think of new born babies when I smell this and it makes me feel young and never fails to make me smile

Just lovely

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

this is a rosy musk with an animalic and woody base. it definitely seems to have a classic thing going on. i really don't seem to get the magnolia or gardenia here. it's mostly rose a hint of jasmine and some musks and woods. i dunno, i want to like this, it seems like i should but i suspect these musks aren't working with my skin chemistry. i do like the rose in this though, it's quite nice, i just find this gets a bit sour on me :(

nayab153

I reviewed this a few years ago as a teenager (I'm sure you can find it if you scroll down far enough) were I rather delicately described this scent as “B.O in a bottle”, well I have to eat my words.

I have recently been gifted this and I have to say I’ve fallen in love with it. It is not a scent meant for a young person, if you’re looking for flowers and rainbows and unicorns in your perfume you’d be better off in a Victoria’s Secret outlet.

This a powerhouse of a perfume, it’s strong, pungent and in your face. There’s nothing I love more than wearing this and walking into the boardroom on a Monday morning for the weekly meeting. It’s a trouser wearing, no nonsense, “don’t talk to me unless it’s in response to something I’ve said” kind of scent.

I definitely get a harsh hit of rose, but it’s almost a dirty rose, like after rainfall. There’s also a massive tidal wave of musk and off course the saffron which cocoons you in it’s warmth. The gardenia is fairly undetectable which is ideal for me as it’s not my favourite note. I also rather bizarrely get a little coffee in the dry down along with rather inviting amber, but seeing as its not listed that might just be a chemical reaction with my skin.

Also avoid spraying this on clothes, I find that’s when the rather horrid putrid almost body odour like scent kicks in. direct contact onto skin is the best way to enjoy this splendid fragrance.

Betsywoolbright
Betsywoolbright

I smell flowers and spices, and elegant Victorian brass wall sconces with their candles burning low at midnight. It is dark but not cold. A man gave his lover a dozen huge, red roses.
The scent is nearly overpowering, as are their emotions on this night. It is as smooth as the satin sheets she sat on, as he got down on one knee and produced a small velvet box.
It is as sparkling as the diamond solitaire that she found upon opening it.
And it is as soft as her voice as, with tears of joy, she whispered, "Yes."

nitschevo
nitschevo

Funny enough - to me / on me this smells like a summer version of Aromatics Elixir. I tested this yesterday thanks to a lovely member who gifted me a sample. I continued with my day and kept getting whiffs of it and always thought "Mom?" :) This is so elegant, sexy and different to nowadays trends. Not saying that either is a bad thing but this frag stands out. Spicy rose with a touch of powder, cannot really differentiate all the notes. No cleaning products or soapy smell on me. Quite gorgeous and I certainly wouldn't mind owning one of the purse sprays, which should last me a long while. It's quite powerful and leaves a fabulous trail of fragrance.

learnincurve
learnincurve

I picked up 200ml for £23 so was really hoping I liked it. I do, I think.

Starts out ever so odd with a bitter almost lemon cleaning product blast, settles down into a powdery rose with sharp woody undertones.

Given that this year the trend is rose rose rose, it's far more relevant today than it was 10 years ago on release, and may seem less daring and strange to people now than it did then.

Sasco

Ok, so I've already written a review, in which I jumped from 'dislike' to 'like' to 'dislike' again - but bear with me; I won't be repeating myself!

I don't know what strange magic lurks inside that pale pink egg, but this stuff is wickedly addictive. Despite hating the sharpness of the opening; despite disliking the eventual dry-down - I kept going back. 'Just once more,'. I told myself. 'Just to prove how awful it is'. Again and again and again.

And suddenly, that opening wasn't quite as harsh as I had remembered but vivid, striking; the final traces on my skin no longer resembled cleaning products but instead the clean, damp skin of female skin, fresh from a Rose-scented bath. I get nothing sordid or dirty here - just musky, dusky, heavy-headed rose, voluptuous and full, which eventually (and somewhat surprisingly) softens into an almost unisex spicy clean skin scent.

I find it sensual, rather than overtly sexual - it makes me want to sleep naked. It makes me feel very, very feminine, which, as I am usually something of a tomboy, is no mean feat.

I'm impressed. I went from considering tossing my sample away, to ordering a full bottle. AP used her impressive womanly wiles to reel me in, bit by bit, until I was well and truly hooked.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

This is an enchanting beautiful strong floral fragrance very romantic. This is a perfume to wear when you're in love. Forget about the Agent Provocateur lingerie. This is not something you wear with lingerie. This is a formal evening ball gown! I can smell all the flowers in it: magnolia, saffron, rose and gardenia. The flowers are heady, classy and dreamy. It takes a while for it to wear off as it smells of flowers the whole way through for hours and hours. At the end I get a hint of wood lots of musk and amber. It's a full bodied and very womanly mature fragrance. If you like those type sof scents as opposed to fruity floral gourmand candy scents, you'll really be delighted by this scent. I wear this a lot in the evenings and have enjoyed it ever since it's release. I also really like L'Agent the incense bomb. This is a Flower Queen.

gigicreation12m.

My fave perfume. Nothing compare to agent provocateur. It last long, it is not old perfume. It is sexy and i can't believe some people hate it

Sasco

On first spritz, I really did not like this at all. In fact, I glared at my wrist suspiciously with narrowed eyes, because I swear to God I can pick out ylang ylang in that initial blast - possibly the one perfume note that REALLY doesn't work with me. It seems to become some sort of skanky sherberty WEIRDNESS on my skin, and lasts, and lasts, and lasts... It's not in the pyramid so I have no idea whether I'm imagining it or not. I shuddered, then sighed - obviously AP wasn't the rose fragrance I was looking for - and I've been looking a lot, lately.

But wait! Wait just a minute....(well, about thirty to be precise). The full-on (and frightening, for me) top notes suddenly dissipate and here comes a beautiful, heady, powdery rose; soft and heavy at once, thick and sweet - yet before it threatens to become a parody of girlishness, in slip the cedar and vetiver to give it an ever so slightly masculine vibe, which nudges the whole composition away from oh-so-pretty petals-n-powder territory and into something much edgier and sexier. I actually find it to be quite a clean scent, once the top notes disappear; clean but spicy - not overtly soapy or aggressively fresh. Much more wearable than I had guessed from the initial spritz!

A little schizophrenic, but on me, at least, it went from terrifying to tame in just over half an hour, so wait it out. It's worth it!

EDIT: I guess I was a little premature in reviewing this.....The lasting power is excellent, as is the sillage, but AP has now dried down into a not-entirely-unpleasant-but-I-wouldn't-want-to-wear-it bathroom cleaning product scent. may just be my chemistry. and it was all going so well.....

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

Nana was sitting in front of the mirror in her room at Theatre Des Varietes. She had just finished her usual beauty routine and she was admiring her hair in the mirror when suddenly a pungent musky whiff coming from the side of her bed caught her attention....'Satin, Satin!!!!' she cried..
Where was SHE! Probably entertaining a bunch of soldiers in a quiet corner of the Theatre!... She was supposed to change the sheets and make sure everything was in order.... Le Compte De Muffat was due in a few minutes stealing some precious moments away from Wifey...then Steiner, leaving sod all little time in between for rearranging the bed linen... She had to act quickly so she sprinkled some saffron on top of the bed spread....hmmm..still nothing would shift last night's erotic excesses...she sprinkled some of her favourite Rose Perfume...that might just do!..hm..that's better, at least for a while...anyway, men came to see' Venus'...she spritzed some of that Rose Essence down her belly and further below and all around her delicate thin veils.....THEY loved that!!! Now she was ready to receive her admirers..
Entrer!..

Le parfum c'est chic
Le parfum c'est chic

J'ai longtemps été intriguée par le parfum que pouvait contenir ce flacon très inhabituel et qui ne laisse rien voir de la couleur du précieux jus. C'est seulement après avoir lu que c'était un chypré que je me suis empressée d'aller le sentir. Coup de foudre immédiat et étonnement. Oui, c'est bien un chypre alors que ceux-ci ne sont plus tendance de nos jours. Rien de sucré là dedans. Un parfum de femme fatale comme en porterais une actrice de film noir.

matillyrose
matillyrose

I don't think I have disliked a bottle of perfume as much since I first tried Cabochard. With the gorgeous colour of the porcelain bottle and the pyramid of notes I was expecting a more Rose perfume but this is just Saffron overload, it's just too much.

Blind buy, 200ml bottle at that, well it was the same price as the 100ml bottle and I thought why not?

Of course I liberally drowned myself first time and burnt out my nasal cavities, the bitterness was acrid and burnt plastic.

I then thought what am I going to do with a 200ml bottle of perfume that I don't like? Try again...of course, I am nothing if not tenacious.

The thing I discovered with this perfume is less is definitely more. A spray on each wrist, one in the elbows and one in the cleavage. Then... layer it with a linear fragrance like a Rose, Musk or other favourite floral that is in the pyramid or combines well with the notes.

I'm stuck on Rose right now. It just seems to take away the bitterness without taking anything away from the original fragrance.

Now I wear it all the time and just love it. The extra Rose just makes it for me. Feminine, sexy, warm and the longevity has been extended.

The Rose I am using is Watt Pink by Confinluxe or Jovan Silky Rose. I do intend to try others in my collection, maybe a musk next time.

DIVa999
DIVa999

Bright bitter roses, covered with coldest dew, tremble their petals under the morning sunrays. But this is only the beggining!
Day goes on... The temperature becomes warmer and coriander blooms in all its beauty.
The sun moves towards west, jasmine and vetiver begin to sing their symphony.
When the night comes on the throne, the midnight rose is rule again. It is not innocent, like that morning roses, it is dark, deep, full of sin. Gardenia flowers accompany her like maids of honor.
The beautiful day is over, but the traces of it will stay on the silk scarf for weeks ahead...

****
oh agent provocateur, it's been my sig for years now and we have a lot of history together. a fabulous rose that delivers what it promises - it's hugely provocative but in an unexpected way. not a patchouli or vanilla bomb like most 'sexy' perfumes are expected to be these days. ap is a mature, sexual rose, sort of old-fashioned but none the less attractive, dirty and kinky. it's not even very animalic and i wager the kinkiness is mostly that phenomenal saffron note and not the musk which is just that soapy feeling. the whole perfume is mostly bitter/sour saffron and dry rose with a vintage soap air.

i think it's been tweaked a bit over the years but still more or less itself. lasts amazingly well and gives that sexual confidence that makes women truly attractive. it's never about the looks, always about attitude and this one has it in spades. bottle is super darling too.

ParfumAmour
ParfumAmour

This is a provocative and surprising scent. The bottle looks very innocent, a sweet baby pink with delicate black writing across it. However the contents are powerfully strong, deeply sensual, arousing and disturbing at the same time. For me the notes clash rather than blend well, though perhaps this discordant theme was aimed for by the creator, as the lingerie line was rather shocking at the time.

QueenK13
QueenK13

Is it wrong that I did not review one of my favorite fragrance for that long?
Our acquaintance was weird and we didn't like each other in the beggining. Slapped right into face with a rough, harsh, uncompromising, prickly soviet male cologne. But if you fall twice you should rise three times, right?
I was testing it over and over again and he finally surrendered. But not completely. It was just like offering me his jacket when it's getting colder outside. Like we are on date. Harshness, taunt and arrogance have dissappeared. But he was still keeping the face. I started to understand him.
The combination of rose and saffron gives a different sound deppending on the chemistry, temperature and weather. A powerful seduction weapon in a rainy days.
I smell new, beautiful stockings that I am just taking out of the box.
I am not getting any fragrance composition games: he's the same from the beggining till the end. Just more quiet and sleepy at the end.
The Agent Provocateur ancestor is definitely Coriandre, on my nose. Requires skin application, hits back hard when applied on fabrics.
Longevity six hours, two sprays.
We are talking about English Porcelain Gentleman.

viveka
viveka

Nastiest perfume I've got in my collection! Really, you can easily name it "bedroom scent" ;)
AP is dirty (yet still distinctive cold), in some way majestic but still too slutty to be classic elegant... Sorry - but what I mean by that is what you name 'personality' which is really alluring - in animalistic way. It gives you blast of power. You can't feel weak wearing AP, simply can't.
Rose is cold, very cold, the best place for AP is warm bedroom... U know, u don't misguide nature :)
For a big bad girls
in black stilettos

PS: RubyBirdy - great review!

deb.martinez

This one left an impression on me..not good tho.I received it in a swap and immediately swapped it again.it is so far one of the strongest things ive ever smelled.
Not for me. I like to breath. :-)

Kalitera
Kalitera

Yes, it's provocative and daring. Not in a sexy way though... you need to be a little bit courageous to wear such sharp chypre :) It's musky, it's old-fashioned, and it's incensy.

Luca Turin identifies AP in his book as a "throwback rose", a repeat of Jean Couturier's Coriandre. I can see why it's a "throwback rose", but don't agree that it's similar to Coriandre.

All that being said, it's an appealing smell. So intriguing! I like it more and more.

boannika
boannika

Just got this one together with L' Agent in the mail today . I loooooove it but I seriously don't understand the comparison to " worn panties " or arousal ( although to be honest that was kind of the reason I blind bought this, I was intrigued☺). It' s a beautiful, old fashioned, cold rose, suitable for day as well for a night out. Lasts a long time and has got awesome sillage. Absolutely stellar :*.

Chelsea1605
Chelsea1605

On me this is an old fashioned musky rose. Not for me unfortunately.

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Sorry ladies, you are now going to hate me this time as Agent Provocateur is supposed to be the mistress of seductive, uber sexy and ultra feminine perfumes and once again, me a man, I'm stealing it from you.
Since the first time I smelled it I was fascinated: not because of the sexy marketing image it is supposed to convey, but rather because of the unusual combination scent layers this powerhouse masterpiece produces.
To me AP is the precursor of all the oud scents that are produced nowadays and by essence it has a rather androgynous image. Whether a woman with legs as high as the Eiffel Tower wearing suspenders, stilettos and nipple tassels, or a hairy muscly biker with tattoos all over could wear it is not really important. It is simply a masterpiece. I read some comments that AP smells like dirty underwear... Really? If my underwear when dirty smelled like this, then I would not need to wash them and I would make a fortune by selling them! All this rubbish is pure sleazy marketing that does not serve this beautiful and sophisticated fragrance. The lingerie-kinky connotation has nothing to do with this perfume. If it was made by Chanel, Dior or Guerlain it would be noble, beautiful, mysterious in people's mind. Because it is a lingerie scent, people see it as sex in a bottle running the risk of being a tad vulgar. Sorry but all perfumes are supposed to contribute to seduction, open up personalities but mostly make those who wear it feel good inside and outside.
AP has nothing vulgar and is not sex in a bottle. It is understated by its marketing concept which is unfortunately contributing to its downfall. I bought two 200 ml eau de parfum for £29 each... Ten years ago, it would have probably cost me £100 each. Why? Because people probably see AP as vulgar.
I have been asked what I am wearing by some people who are miles away from thinking it is AP. When I tell them, they don't believe me.
I don't care if some people hate it or associate it with dirty knickers. I only hope that I'm the only "gay in the village" who wears this beauty as it make me feel really unique, and I will continue receiving lots of compliments when I wear it!
Long live Agent Provocateur!

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

Wow even though Agent Provocateur is a sexy lingerie line based in London, the scent is almost an old fashioned floral feminine fragrance. I admit I do feel sexy wearing it but it's not a spread-your-legs-for-him arch-your-back type of sexiness. It's pure seduction and classy. It's like a 19th century French courtesan in her boudoir wearing an elaborate and elegant night gown and standing next to a vase of flowers. She's waiting for her aristocratic lover to come inside to make love. A big reason I bought this perfume was because I love the floral scents of magnolia, gardenia and rose. These flowers are flower bombs in themselves. They're very fragrant if you have ever smelled actual magnolia, gardenia and roses. But as a fragrance in perfume, they're more subdued, sweeter, either powdery or green, soft yet still strong enough to project and to be detected by others. I have enjoyed wearing this fragrance to bed and I have received compliments. Guys I know find it intoxicating, sexy and very feminine at least on me. This may not work with your skin chemistry but I find that it's suitable to most women. The gardenia might not be your thing but this is not a screechy gardenia. The amber helps a lot and the woodsy notes. A dreamy perfume.

hoopins
hoopins

I received this fragrance as a gift by accident when the Christmas presents were labelled wrong and didn't like it at first and decided to give it another try after some time had passed.
The saffron comes through strongly as do the other floral notes and the overall impression I was left with was a powdery - talc type of scent. I would have imagined from this brand that their fragrance would be more cheeky and playful perhaps with an air of mystery and surprise thrown in.
I think this fragrance would stand out well in a situation where it might be fighting against other aromas like in a nightclub but once up close and personal could be off-putting.

Calinare
Calinare

Strong leathery musk with a hint of spicy rose. It's good. But too upfront. Not for me as it feels like this perfume is the one wearing me. Good for tall, extravagant women.

Juicysweet
Juicysweet

So I sprayed this on and was bombed with Rose and Musk! Sexy and funky! I am fairly new to describing the different notes, but I recognized the rose immediately. It smells like a very bad girl from a long ago era, and I am fascinated with it! It repels and draws me in at the same time. I love it and hate it!

RubyBirdy
RubyBirdy

This perfume makes sense in the context of the brand: AP's lingerie is shamelessly sexual, provocative, and impractical - slutty but expensive. It exists in a "no sex please, we're British" context, wink wink and nudge nudge, where the people who are uptight and staid in public may just be absolute maniacs in the privacy of their own homes. The powdery old-lady rose is that tradition and haughty old money context, but there is something dirtier and freaky lurking in the background. It's not the easiest perfume to wear, but I love the concept. It certainly delivers on its promise. Unlike some of the classic Guerlains, the powdery flowers of Agent Provocateur never feel like they're from a bygone era and out of place in the present day. This is definitely a perfume young women can get away with wearing, especially if they have just the right kind of stiff-upper-lip, haughty attitude. It makes me feel brazen. Love it.

Heartswell.
Heartswell.

Heads up: I'm pretty new to perfumes and to describing them (i.e. I'm not good at identifying notes on my own unless it's a relatively simple linear perfume, but I digress).

When I first smelt Agent Provocateur, I thought: "Overwhelming powder with a dash of liquid oldladyness", while my sister just coughed and quipped that it smelled like my aunt (not a good thing). Funnily enough, my mother likes it.

However, despite that, I like it. Not love it. Just like it. The drydown is better since I could appreciate the rose and the musk better; it gets a little "dirtier" and, oddly, soapier -as other reviewers have noted. There's something "vintage" about it which I can't place which evokes black-and-white pin-up models and old Hollywood vixens. It's probably due to the quite heavy heady rose which, as I noted earlier, can be quite oldladyish, but here it's not as off-putting; however, it is quite an "adult" scent to me in both senses: 1) it's a sensual scent (bordering on sexy) and 2) it's quite a mature scent.

All in all, it's alright. Not really something I'd wear really (I'm a gourmand/citrus floral girl), but I might if I'm alone and I want to feel a little more glamorous (just a little). And I'm a sucker for a cute baby-pink bottle (or a pink anything really). That miiiight be one of the reasons why I bought it in the first place. (Hopefully, Petale Noir is better.)

kimee
kimee

I was very curious to try this because I love rose fragrances. Unfortunately it does not agree with me at all! On my skin it smells just like scented toilet paper with the cardboard roll and all. Sillage is very good so it would be wonderful for someone who likes this. Such a shame that we were not meant to be together.

deb.martinez

Got this from a lovely swap and boy howdy its strong! Whoa,,,i mean burn your nose hairs strong! It almost seems like i smell leather...but not listed? Smells soapy,rose,soap,,rinse repeat!
Its hard to pin down. Honestly, i think im gonna love it,but it only takes a miniscule amount to perform! im gonna somehow dab it on! It fills up your senses for sure.....Not for the weak..lol
Sillage,projection,and longevity out the wazoo.
More testing required thats for sure...phew! Headache producing,,thats a first for me. :( up for swap,,,

bronstein
bronstein

So this is the classic AP fragrance, and it is a signature that should never be taken from the market. With so many generic flowery scents in the 2000s and sweet scents in the 2010s, this one almost stands proud in line to defend true femineity. If you think this comment doesn't suit a fragrance that is considered by some as surprisingly androgynous: Think again, because that's the foundation of its subtlety.

This one is like the lingerie from the brand: elegant and filthy, alluring and exciting, subtle and unusual. Or simply high class.

****

piahellgren
piahellgren

This one smells almost JUST like the solid white shaving soap that my dad used when I was quite little! So very comfy and sharply clean to me. Yet... I can see that some, because of its male/unisex scent, would find this "skanky" because they expected something gourmand, sultry, sweet, and tenderly rosy. I definitely smell rose and spice and old school musk, but no sweetness. I have just put it on and will come back with a proper review in a few days.

POWDERED ROSE

Firstly highly offending. Then highly sedative.

The opening hit me as stuffy room full of old patronizing grannies thanks to strong coriander notes. However, once it looses the offending coriander pungent smell and settles into a generic-flower sweet warm resin smell dusted with a quite a lot of powder it becomes rather soft pink, sedative and safe. I might call this perfume dreamy romantic and is good for a cuddle and candle time with your long term boyfriend/husband. WARNING! You might end up with your boyfriend/husband wrapped around you like an octupus though.

PS. 12 hours later I can finally smell the rose with gardenia. Dreamy romantic.

It's Sleeping Beauty's, not seductress's perfume.

asha.hab
asha.hab

Blind buy. Smells like my grandma's perfume. The smell "sticks" to everything. My husband asked what stinks so bad after he smelled it on my clothes.
I love it.

p.s. Try before you buy. You either gonna love it or hate it.
oh and if you like roses but not this strong and smoky you have to try Burberry Body

HannahNori
HannahNori

I just received this beauty in the mail. It was a blind buy for me. Most of my perfumes have been.

This is a beautiful powdery rose scent. I love it. If you love the smell of roses, you will love this perfume.

patxaran
patxaran

Ahem sorry Fragrantica... what happened here? I am pretty sure the notes pyramide has been updated, with coriander and ylang ylang being completely dropped out?

NurseSmellGood
NurseSmellGood

This perfume smells like a bunch of women after dancing all night in a nightclub stuffed in a New York cab. It's taunting, begging you to lean a little closer...a little closer...then bam! A blast if dark musk, sweet spice avid sensual rose. I sprayed this outside while sitting on the curb in front of my mailbox because I was so excited to see and use It. The box is cute and I like the Granade style bottle.
My husband and 6 year old son help me judge perfume
I think the rose turned my son off at first but I let it dry more an told him to take another smell and he said "I think I Do like this one."
My husband says "it's a grown woman scent, it's not your usual sweet smell."

samloves
samloves

The first time I smelled this I though it was vile I couldn't get my head around why anyone would want to smell of roes like an old granny but recently I've been thinking about this fragrance and in fairness I rubbed it off me as soon as I sprayed it so I don't really know what the dry down is like. So I'm gonna give it another go, now I wouldn't blind buy this unless you love the smell of roes, I don't but I'm hoping the dry down is nicer than the first blast.

lirael00
lirael00

I'm very impressed. Wasn't really buying all the hype, but now I'm surely getting my bottle. What I smell here is the sexiest rose on a planet. Seriously this frag is a sex in a bottle. It lasts for ages and I love the bottle! Great for the night out!

Melodiarose82

Next day... I'll make this short and sweet. I was on the fence... I get raw woman in this. The dry down is almost an unclean scent... But the opening is so good... My thought is- you have to be a perverted filthy animal of a woman to appreciate and enjoy this scent. I think I might be a perverted filthy animal of a woman...

Lol

EDT: A month after my first review... I am utterly entranced and in love with this beautiful deep musky rose... It took me awhile to get through the layers and to experience the heart of this perfume. That's pretty darn cool! It was an adventure- and now we will never part.

:) Give this lady a try. She has many layers- just like I do- just like you do too! And, yes, she went from awful to dirty/trampy- to being a lady. And... if I end up doing post #4 any time soon, or in the future... please know- that's it's because Agent is really that interesting. Haha I seriously wouldn't be surprised if I become inspired to say more about it. I know you all understand though- I mean, we're all here for the same reason right?? Perfume fanatics. :D Hehe I say it loud and proud! I am obsessed!!

EDT Months later. Have moved on to better things. I prefer Fleurs de Bulgarie by Creed over this. Which is obviously a much more expensive perfume with a heart of bulgarian roses.

Melodiarose82

I couldn't resist the love/hate reviews- so filled with passion. either way... So, I got my bottle today. I just spritzed. Initial impression- OK, I can see where people could come up comparisons to nether regions and not so pleasant bathroom smells. Lol. But I don't know if I would have come up with those descriptors. My nose has been smelling, Naked by Madonna, for the past few days... so this is a bit of a stretch. No sweetness here!

But what do I really think...? First impression: I don't really have one... It's neither good, nor bad- but if buying from the guidance of first impression- I wouldn't. I'm not impressed. I want to be attracted, invited and intrigued... Will this come in time...? I hope... We soon shall see...

...Oh, the rose is peaking through! I just stepped out into the rain to get the mail, so it's quite an image mixed with my senses. Wet dewy rose. But she isn't a princess, this rose. This rose is a queen. She isn't frilly and full of bubbly wonder. She's authoritative, she's been around. She's in control. She's rising from slumber, deep from within the wet soil of the earth... Droplets of rain falling down the side of her dark mauve colored petals... mixed with purple and black... The woods are drenched in her essence- her and the bark and the wet leaves... mixed with the rain.. they become one... It's dusk. A thick fog immersed into an enchanted forest... twinkles of light... like little fairies... There definitely is an enchantment going on...

Damn... this is hot... I'm getting excited!! OK, I'm sold. I love it. xoxox

hiuhime
hiuhime

After a Fragrantica reco and perusal of notes and reviews, I blind bought AP for cheap. When it arrived I tested on paper and immediately hated it - spicy, musty powderbomb - but I knew this is a polarizing fragrance so I gave myself a day to recover and tested again on my skin.

The first spray was strong and VERY WEIRD but good weird? (agree w/ @pravda48's chemical reference) regardless, I was intrigued and followed up with 2 more spritzes. After a few moments I was utterly seduced by its complexity and uniqueness.

I find this to be dry and clean yet the rose is a dirty, wild rose. AP settles down close (in fact my skin eats it up) but every few minutes I get a taunting whiff of perfectly blended cedar, rose and spice. So sexy, womanly, and teasing but not at all aggressive like some other reviews.

AP is coy vintage glamour; a tantalizing spell I want to use whenever the mood strikes.

globus pallidus
globus pallidus

Kudos to Agent Provocateur for releasing this way before Narciso Rodriguez made musks "a thing". The very prominent rose is to me, interestingly, not dirty at all, but instead the citrus-y, harshly clean variety. Actually, it reminds me of the powdery, starchy, slightly bitter scent of a rose soap bar. Saffron seems to disappear after the initial blast, but stays lingering on the skin for hours. Long lasting and inoffensive, agreeable yet original - and a bargain, too. Go for it.

DiaAnna
DiaAnna

It's a shame , such an intense fragrance , long lasting , not expensive to be a failure , made my boyfriend run away from me , it's just that bad ? Or it's bad only on my skin ? Testing is a must before buying it , I think this one smells very different on each , on me this unfortunately is terrible , I smell like I'm 100 years old in a very old bedroom with very old furniture :((

alicepolice
alicepolice

The first thing you need to know about AP is that it isn't a classy rose. AP is a rose who has seen the ugly side of the world and its people - she knows nobody's worthy of her trust, but she also knows she's no better than them. She lives in a reality where no one is safe from hurt, and where everyone has to play dirty on someone to get by in turn.

It's a bitter scent, which also shines with a sort of tainted and broken beauty. The rose is very strong and persistent throughout, with a sour edge. Even though I was appalled at first, Agent Provocateur has become my absolute favourite scent.

Angeldaisy
Angeldaisy

....i smelt this gem on a lady this morning, as we were taking our kids into nursery. and it is even more lovely on someone else!
i could smell that familiar saffron musky rose and it made me lean forwards, like a Bisto Kid, to have a good sniff...
she was chuffed to bits by my compliment...thankfully...
(...you never know what's going to happen when you talk to someone about how they smell)

i am astounded how i can go from my first test (loathed it)...to my second test (a weirdly appealing ashtray) to now. i love it. in all of its musky dusky sexy rosiness.

wouldn't life be dull without it?...perfume.

ellenresia
ellenresia

When I spray on me, I feel like living in the 8 centuries, wearing a classic princess grown such as an european princess :)
Love it.

x-x-x-ANGEL-x-x-x
x-x-x-ANGEL-x-x-x

Strong and sexy (or atleast to me) and spicy, after a while it deepens on me and makes the pleasure that much more enjoyable.

Although as I've read people say this scent is far from sexy and seductive I suppose that depends on the person, because to me this is Sexy.

ggabriella
ggabriella

Got it a few days ago and had the courage to put it on today. Hmm. (A blind buy, obviously) I'm not quite sure... I don't dislike it, but it's not a jaw drop perfume. It's pleasant its sexy and provocative, but the rose and the saffron are little synthetic. It interesting, I give you that.

Edited: well, I changed my mind. Fascinating hidden rose. Bitter rose, majestic, respect inputting rose, complimented by the saffron and with the undertone of some flower Choir. Survive the initial blast and give it a chance. It may surprise you.

AngieGCarp

See below review...here is a short amendment....I wrote my opinions of the perfume before my husband came home...whoa! He had a major reaction to this one. He immediately said what is that!? I want you smell like that all the time...who knew? He said it is "my smell"...he should know...he sleeps next me everynight for ten years. ❤️ I officially love this perfume.

AngieGCarp

Hmmm let me see...well, provocative maybe, a delicate virgin bride on her wedding night? Continuing the white theme in her lingerie. Not wanting to smell like a dominatrix...this is a gorgeous perfume but like the beautiful country of England in which it came, it is NOT something I would wear to woo my husband to the bedroom. It is a very all around safe perfume to wear. It is a very complex rose and I, loving rose, will wear it everywhere (except the bedroom)...

Don't save your fine perfume for a special occasion...everyday is a special occasion if you choose it to be-AGC

alit
alit

One of the worst perfumes I had the "luck" to be given as a gift. I am shocked anyone would find this sexy, sultry, seductive, provocative or even remotely pleasant. To me it is just a harsh synthetic nonsense. Old lady's hairspray and very alcohol-y rose smell throughout. One of the few perfumes that could give me a headache...

margarita.angelova
margarita.angelova

I'm proud I have successfully survived the initial burst. It was a kind of a traumatic experience.

Provocative is the least you could say about this perfume. Someone here said that this would pair great with leather and I couldn't agree more.

What annoys me in this composition (except the frightening start) is the rose - that's where the vintage feel comes from and it just ruins the otherwise bold erotic effect for me. Sad.

Edit:
Few days after I wrote the comment above, I cannot help but admit that this haunts me... I have a little vial of it and I need to come back and smell it again and again. And I somehow begin to... like it? It doesn't feel quite right, and I still try to resist it.

Edit 2:
I bought it. Probably I was too influenced by the mass popularity and opinions of this perfume because owning it now I realize that this is actually a quite decent everyday scent - I wore it to the office and didn't feel inappropriate at all. I loved it.
I guess this was why the rose annoyed me that much at first - because it makes it to a "normal" fragrance you could wear anytime. It's still distinctive and special to me, I'm happy to have it.

star24
star24

Well I did it blind bought again!after reading the notes I thought they sounded like something for me(I'm really loving rose at the moment).Well after reading the reviews some of which really made me laugh I wasn't expecting this to work for me but it's not very expensive and the bottles cute too.WHERE HAVE I BEEN NOT TO HAVE BOUGHT THIS BEFORE LIVING UNDER A MUSHROOM????I love this hot saffron blast followed by gorgeous musky rose and I get no sourness or unclean smell just a long lasting slightly powdery rose with sensual musk.If this is old lady smelling then she's one classy old lady!This is sensual long lasting with moderate sillage silly me for having not tried sooner.

shushkin
shushkin

A real blast of saffron then musk and vetiver. Not a promising start but I hung in there. It quickly dries down to almost a skin scent. On the dry down I get the rose, magnolia and woods. Its not sweet. Its ok but disappointing to so quickly become a skin scent but maybe thats the intention. My oh is not keen on it. In general fellas tend to like more sweet fragrances. APs new Fatale is definitely a hit with my man.

Catherynne
Catherynne

I had high hopes for this perfume. I have the body chemistry that can take on BIG perfumes. Two sprays of Youth Dew is death to most, on me it settles to a warm non- cloying spicy scent. Red Door, Coco, Casmir, Tabu, bring em on. So I had high hopes for this one. On me after the saffron and Vevitier leave I'm left with roses and powder that sort of sidles close to musk but never quite meets it. Any spice is non-existant. This doesn't make me feel special. I guess I'll save it for casual wear.

Edit: So I played around some more with Agent. First thing I did was to apply it more liberally on warmer parts of the anatomy. Secondly, I mixed Dita Von Teese aka Femme Totale with Agent Provocateur one one wrist and then on the other wrist I mixed AP with Faustus by Black phoenix Alchemy lab. and here is how it turned out:
Straight Agent on warmer skin: Slightly spiced rose with an after scent of Cherry juiciness.
Agent Provocateur mixed with Dita Von Teese: While wet: Strong rose and jasmine. Dried Down: Spiced Rose, Cherry Blossom, and powdery incense.
Agent Provocateur mixed with BPAL Faustus: Much heavier scent. Sticky Rose with Cherry Blossom and Cardomom. No powder.

I can't believe this is considered sexy. I think it's suffocating and dangerous chemical.
I let my friend smell it, and she asked if this was really a perfume.
We agreed, that this one is just too much.
Too woody and musky. I don't like saffron either. It is trying to be too fancy.

pravda48

Wanted to pop by to add another review having had this for a while and enjoying it in a very odd way:

It starts w/ a BANG of plasticine, hot saffron (I agree with the 'melting dolls' comparison here) & rose hiding behind it. STRONG at just 1 spray! So chemical, like Montale's ouds, but oddly craveable. Smelling this is like being attracted to the high of sniffing ethanol/paint/Sharpies: some people will get it, will be attracted to it and even drawn to it like an addiction, while others will shake their heads and ask, "why?!?"

It's just like that ;) Personally I do find it to smell somewhere between freshly painted walls and Sharpies, or ink. Odd...ly fascinating!

Narkus
Narkus

Omg! Lol! Review below!!!

Kristina25
Kristina25

I wanted to like it as I love their underwear. It did NOT like me!! I smelled it on a friend and it was nice - creamy and spicy. On me however...

I sprayed it on in House of Fraser and it smelled like someone had dropped their pants and unleashed holy armageddon into a toilet bowl. After having a curry and a pint. made a futile attempt to cover it with Dior Addict and got the hell out of there before anyone suspected me of incontinence.

Not a safe blind buy. Lovely on some, an abomination on others. Truly a testament to trying before you buy.

Beffie1963
Beffie1963

I just wanted to like this. Way too sweet on me. Smells like a Cadillac full of gossipy old ladies. Must be my chemistry.

Guermantes
Guermantes

I suppose I'm a lucky perfume lover, because scents usually don't turn bad on me. USUALLY. This one was an exception... The beginning is interesting but after a while on my skin it smells like a cheap perfume from the flea market or bazaar. I guess the musk is responsible, hovewer in other perfumes there is no such effect. Don't get me wrong, I don't say it is bad... only the skin chemistry thing. And unfortunately with all the Agent family the same thing. Why, oh why, I wanted so much to smell sensually .. :(

loonad
loonad

well i just love this scent as it is a very unusual scent.i would advise against a blindbuy.this is reminiscent of something my grandma used to wear and it makes me think of her as i remember her from my childhood,wearing a red or orange saree and adorned with her indian jewellery.
this for me is an intimate perfume-something i wear for myself never at work.i just love the sting of saffron in this one and the bubbly almost effervescent rose.

sail0rmars
sail0rmars

I was in the store and sprayed it once on my wrist. The opening was too sharp, didn't catch any rose.. I said "this is not for me" and I continued looking for something else..
BUT.. after an hour, a lovely, loud rose started to grow and I couldn't help smelling my wrist! Absolutely a diva scent: Curly black hair, sexy black corset, high heels, red lipstick.. The air smells seduction, just like in another era, with more authenticity..
Unfortunately, I can't wear it often beacause on my it has this sharpness and it starts to develop into something beautiful after an hour or more. I will combine it with a body lotion with a more "creamy" or sweet scent, it would work better like this.
Excellent longevity, as well!! (A whole day on the skin and on the clothes forever)

bibibling
bibibling

Well, this is defintitely a big-girl perfume. The initial opening tricked me by giving me a basic 'old-lady' rose vibe but then the saffron and musk caught up and I was like 'Ohhh! I get it now!'

There IS stil a soapy-cleanness to this and yet it's deliciously dirty at the same time, which, I know makes no sense but welcome to the world of fragrance!

Even though it's in the Floral-Woody-Musk group (and righfully so!) just from the shape/color/font of the bottle, I was hoping for a sweeter, more candy-like rose but that's really not what this perfume is about at all. This isn't Victoria's Secret and it's not trying to be.

Personally, I might buy this or one of its flankers when I'm older and I definitely reccomend it to people who want a sophisticated, grown-up musky rose without the added sugar calories but for now, my mission to find a candied-rose perfume must continue...

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Smells like rose scented drawer liners to me, the kind that grandma gives you at Christmas. Since these are usually placed in my underwear drawer I guess there is a similarity to the scent of lingerie. The saffron gives it warmth. I don't get the provocativeness of this however and especially don't feel it being a raunchy scent at all infact if you are looking for a bit of skank and a worn knickers note you need to try Vivienne Westwoods Boudoir. A musky vintage rose talcum powder is how I describe this scent.

Bruxadomar
Bruxadomar

Does not work for me, smells like cheap soap, advise get a sample first, disappointed!

kasks
kasks

Roses, deep red, sprinkled with the morning dew. These roses are mixed with a healthy dose of saffron, giving an intoxicating powdery vibe. I am very sure I can detect honey too. It definitely is not a quiet perfume. I don't know about the 'provocateur' part, but I do know that this perfume feels absolutely lovely to wear. I admit that the first time I wore this, I didn't much care for it, but now it hovers between like and love.
I love the slightly woody drydown and really like the honey dressed dew covered red roses with hues of saffron.
And did I mention how familiar this smells? I live in India and it reminds me of incense, rich furnishings and weddings.

Allinug
Allinug

Smelled this a couples of years ago and didn't like it at first, then liked it and got it. Used it a little and then didn't like it at all, sold it.
I have it again, had to try it again and I like it a little but only after drydown and not so much to keep it.
On me there is a heavy dirty rose and musky smell that is so strong that it goes right up in my nose and head. It stays like that almost the whole drydown and then it becomes a beautiful fragrance.
I can understand why this perfume is sexy but it's no keeper for me, will sell it this time too.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

I'm going to test this again and give it a proper review, I think something weird is going on with my skin today, because the opening of this smelled like Satan's rancid rear end on me and then it dried down to something soft and floral and lovely, and the same thing happened with Portrait of A Lady which I was testing out in Barney's.

So I'm guessing the perfume is a 9/10, and my body chemistry today is a -100/10

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

Agent Provocateur... I would call this perfume intoxicating, sultry and innocent combined with a subtle sort of vintage glamour. It reminds me of a woman with a pretty and child-like face who has the curvaceous body of a vixen.

On my skin, there is a sweet, powdery, musky rose with a warmth from the amber and an unusual spiciness (I'm assuming that this is the saffron). AP is a distinct rose fragrance that smells old-school yet still manages to seem quite wearable today, as the combination of musk and rose are quite clean and sweet-smelling. I don't find the musk in this to be too much in the way that Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDP can be sometimes, but just right. Lasts on me for about 5-6 hours and the sillage is about moderate. Gorgeous bottle, as well.

I will definitely try all of the AP's before I purchase so that I can choose my favourite. But there's something about this one that keeps me coming back for more...

UPDATE: I changed my mind with repeat wearings, as this became so sweet and musky and rosy - it was just too much.

rebecca.a.bowyer
rebecca.a.bowyer

I gave her a try, and at times she is a strong, almost carroty-smelling rose, but with my body chemistry she also sometimes smells like stale fear-sweat. Fortunately I only have a mini.

cinnamonstick
cinnamonstick

A very strange, almost stale musk smell. Perhaps it dries down to something a bit more pleasant but the first half an hour of wearing this perfume left me wanting to scrub it off!

Pinchu Prince
Pinchu Prince

Agent Provocateur is a strong fragrance, not the usual mild rose. To be honest, this is a cool fragrance. The roses are wet and refridgerated (LOL). The roses are really kinda cold, and saffron is also visible. To me, I think this perfume is for a selected few. Not Everyone.
How to Apply first:
Take a fresh, clean, well washed cloth, and spray into it. fan it a little bit and smell it. Sometimes its kinda strong, that would make it an intense frag. I can feel the vetiver too. I think this perfume is for special occasion according to ur mood. So far nobody has complained about it and its going safe with me. Overall a gud find.
longevity : 9/10
silleage: 8/10

ask247
ask247

Wow, and not a good wow! I was really excited to try this seeing that it is supposed to be such a sexy, amazing scent. This is by far one of the worst scents I have ever smelled, next to Youth Dew.
I gave my husband a whiff and he said "Yuck". It reminds me of sweat mixed with chemically bathroom cleaner. Ick! What the heck am I smelling that is so off-putting in this.
Sorry, maybe the sweat aspect is what people find alluring but to me it an absolute turnoff.
I think the name sells this product, it's a great name, lol.

becuille
becuille

Roses and Shake 'n' Vac. That's about all I get from this, save for a musky dry down.

I find the opening pretty horrendous. It's all powdered carpet cleaner and air freshener. It's so cloyingly synthetic. Then the rose kicks in and it's a wet, tangy, bitter kind of rose. It's actually well done (although my personal preference in rose is for dry and powdery), but it's fighting so hard to be heard amongst the blaring synthetics that I actually feel a bit sorry for it.

I don't see this as sexy at all. I didn't feel sexy wearing it, just brash and obvious. It reads to me more like something a teenager has imagined Katie Price would wear.

I've been stuck next to people wearing this a few times, so it's obviously very popular, but I can't say I enjoyed the experience of having to be next to them while they were wearing it! (I'm sure I've put some poor souls through that with some of my favourite perfumes though, so I really shouldn't complain). The sillage on this a very strong.

Sorry to everyone who loves it, but this is not for me. They say it's a love/hate kind of scent. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, but I definitely don't enjoy it.

Revontuli

Enough said about this fragrance both by those who love or hate. Well, I'll explain it very shortly from my point of view: This is an erotic, hot, bitter, burning rose and I'm in love with it!

Averycarr
Averycarr

This fragrance opens up loud and strong. But it develops into gorgeous warm velvet with a bite to it. It's ultra feminine, but I like to wear it on evenings that I'm feeling dominant. It's undeniably sexy, but also deep and a little intimidating. I'm still working on the same bottle, a little goes a long way for me. On me, it starts off like a rosy punch in the face but quiets down to deep warm patchouli and powder.

Amour, Michele
Amour, Michele

I have been avoiding this perfume for almost 15 years since this perfume came out in 2000. In my college years and through my graduate degree years, I smelt this a lot especially on women who dress/look like they would over-spray their perfume. I absolutely hated it. It represented something that I didn't like and my god, they poured it on themselves!

Fast forward 10+ years... I'm in LOVE with this perfume. I must point out that I'm a skeptical person by nature, sometimes almost cynical. I laughed at and often wondered with confusion those perfume commercials where the man/woman becomes infatuated or cannot contain their desire ONCE they smell a certain fragrance on a certain other. 'How ludicrous!' I thought. 'They'll do anything to earn a pretty penny!' Now, I can't spray this enough. I'm not kidding--I even caught myself today thinking how amazing it would be to have multiple bodies so I can spray more perfume. lol

This is the only perfume where I experienced those commercials that I laughed at. Sure, I own a lot of perfumes and have swooned at their beauty, complexity, creativity, simplicity, emotion, etc. But not pure arousal! It wasn't that someone instantly became infatuated with me, but I became so aroused by myself! This perfume makes me feel so sexy and, ahem, bothered! Need I say more! There's a definite retro-ness about it but it's so sexy and so so soft that it doesn't feel dated. Is Sophia Loren dated?! Marilyn Monroe? You get the point.

The first few minutes I do find a tiny smidgen harsh--but good things certainly comes to those who wait and after those few minutes, I cannot believe the soft sexy perfection of this scent. This is what I thought Narciso Rodriguez would be like- sexy instead of sensual, soft, cozy and enveloping. If this perfume were an item of clothing, it would be the softest cozy and slouchy petal pink angora sweater worn with black satin matching underwear and garters. The bottle design makes a lot of sense--in a word, perfect for the brand Agent Provocateur. I'm in love!

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

Give this perfume a chance.

It is best described as a rose with teeth - however prickly, she's worth waiting for, and offers up her secret scent soon enough. A dark vintage rose, like a bottle locked up in a dusty cabinet and unveiled after years - the way a wine or whiskey grows better with age, that is the way of this perfume... something given time to bloom, something given time to steep.

It starts with an almost pungent dose, this cannot be said any other way - I had only ever trialled it on paper or from a sniff of the bottle and always found it too sharp and too plastic. But on the skin? Ho boy.

Pink Cadillac racing down old streets at midnight. Powdery, make-out rose, made to seduce and inspire. Here be suspenders and thigh highs, red lipstick, a dalliance in a back seat. It's sweet and a little coy, but you know there's a sultriness waiting to be let out. This is the perfection of the fragrance - it's atmosphere of fun, of girly, of retro, of danger and thrill. It is a sweetheart rose gone wild.

Technically: The silage is not over the top, but distinct and alluring. The lasting power is good even when the initial character wears off, there's the unmistakeable dark rose bite present.

A scent that begs for a girl to whip out her best 50's dress and sheer thigh high's, red or nude nails.... for curls and subtle feminine glamour. Though it would pair fabulously well with leather ....

Tiger84
Tiger84

Such a great quality, seductive, peppery rose (maybe I'm mistaking the saffron for pepper because pepper is not among the notes and I'm not familiar enough with saffron). Very seductive, playful, erotic. I couldn't care less what people say, especially Mommy's little boys: this is a beast and makes me feel like a beast! Great lasting power too, and decent sillage! Just as sharp as I like it, no unnecessary suffocating sweetness... perfect balance. Spices and rose and some beast purring-growling behind the pretty curtains, this is all it takes to captivate me.
Some part of it oddly reminds me to Terre d'Hermes.

Brian's Wee Sister
Brian's Wee Sister

What a sex bomb! This is a dirty rose, packed to the brim with spices and patchouli, woodsy and dry, settles into the most sultry skin scent, possibly the most sensual fragrance on the market. It's one of the perfumes I always have to have. Spritz some of it in your hair to feel utterly irresistible.

f4rances
f4rances

I first caught a whiff of this on someone else...earthy, green, velvety rose. I don't care that it is made by a lingerie company - I would describe AP perfume as warm, lush but ultimately WHOLESOME smelling. I love it - and I have both men and women complimenting me on the smell often.

update: call this a case of instant karma...but the day after I wrote the original review above I was washing a few dishes....and suddenly I thought "what is that ungodly stench." The hot water, detergent and leftover food had combined with the AP on my wrists to emit the most foul of notes: sharp, ammonia, urinous. Since then I have had trouble unhooking my senses from that note. When I spray my AP...that weird stink is now front and centre. baaahhhaaa - I want my lush roses back.

Daniela_Beatriz
Daniela_Beatriz

I usually LOVE rose fragrances, it is my top note. But this one reeks on my skin, it is really dirty, fecal rose for me. I had it briefly, but I always scrubbed it off after one hour, tops. Very sad, I wanted to like this...

chrisndema

Wow! This fragrance to me says "Woman". An earthy dirty rose and yet is still smells somehow clean. It certainly is very unusual and sensual. This is the perfect Valentines day scent and i plan on wearing it for my husband. This is the only perfume in my collection which lasts on me the whole day without second application. This is too nice for me to use everyday, just for special occasions for me anyway.

knics33
knics33

I finally broke down and blind bought this, and so far I am really liking it. I have literally eyed this fragrance since first getting into the world of fragrance back in early 2008. It is straight up an earthy, musky rose, with a good dose of saffron. The musk is also very strong. After Agent Provocateur has been on my skin for a while I pick up some similarities to Narciso Rodriguez EDT. But the musk in Agent isn't near as sweet - it is straight up earthy and raw. I have been on a huge rose kick as of late and this is a welcome addition to my wardrobe. If Tea Rose by The Perfumer's Workshop is a super fresh and clean rose while taking a stroll in a garden on a spring day, Agent Provocateur is an earthy, musky rose while at the Renaissance festival on a humid and rainy day in the fall. And I like it's "dirty" quality. It makes it more real, herbal and vintage. I feel like you could easily mix something up similar with perfume oils if you wanted. Also, the bottle is gorgeous IMO. I definitely recommend if you adore rose and want something more earthy and not so sweet. But if you dislike rose, and especially musk - steer clear. This will be poison to your nose. Overall, really enjoying this fragrance!

vintage_witch
vintage_witch

oh gosh! how can a girl describe her signature scent? agent provocateur is mine and theres so much i want to say but i cant find the right words. this scent is my essence. does that sound cheesy? hahah... like a pearl necklace, timeless.

it was love at first whiff. roses are my thing, most of the time they go dewy and creamy on my skin. AP does not disappoint. i get a deep, boozy rose with a slight creaminess. when almost gone its milky. the saffron is dry, not velvety rich. i would love to have a velvety rich saffron frag but in AP the dryness is just right. in autumn, with the moist air this darling turns savoury on me. like pink plump roses dipped in the sea. thats when AP is the most sexy to my nose. i find it fascinating how a perfume can change with the seasons... i have noticed that in really cold weather i can almost smell something minty, i have no idea where those notes come from. the gardenia vetiver combo? have anyone else experienced this? the musk never fades. its rich, like it wraps up the other notes in cashmere and silk and the egyptian jasmine is so dark... its seductive and slighty dangerous while the warmth of amber comes and goes thru the day. in summer the cedar note can be very strong and competes with the amber. i dont mind, both of them gives depth to the frag.

AP is one of the few perfumes that stays on my skin, two spritzes is enough to keep me happy for about 9 hours. i get a lot of love when i wear this beauty, both from men and women. i even had men sniff me while waiting in line at the supermarket. creepy and flattering at the same time. hrrrmmm... ok, mostly creepy...

for me agent provocateur is pure lux.

tulpe
tulpe

Nice classic scent, elegant, provocative. Fresh and spicy/ musky with a monster sillage. Got this bought blind, i am a rose scent lover and i am satisfied with scent. Safe choice if doesnt overspray.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

Very retro vintage rose. The saffron ruins it for me though. It smells dirty. Not in a sexy way, but in an unpleasant way. Not quite BO, but close. I had high hopes for this scent but it fell way short.

Cams
Cams

This fragrance is beautiful - I never really got it ( even though I owned a bottle) until I smelt it on a friend recently and I grabbed my bottle and have not put it down. Its vibrant, sexy, and lingers forever getting better the longer its worn.

Bihter
Bihter

Two words: VINTAGE ROSE :)

Amyw1
Amyw1

Oh my gosh I love this scent for some reason :))
It makes my drawer smell divine! I love it my little girls even like it lol the bottle is cute I wish it had a lid though :(

kitsunemagic
kitsunemagic

I know I used to not like this scent very much when i first tested it do to not being much into more adult scents at the time, now that I tested it again at a friends house I couldnt help but end up liking it after giving AP a second chance (strange how one can change your mind about scents you didnt like at first right?)

warning! this perfume is not for prudes! (jK!)

when i sprayed this on, I can see why people associate this scent with sex and lingerie! this scent is very sexy(but in a tasteful way :D). AP is softcore porn in a bottle. on my skin I get alot of powder,wood and spice with a soft lace of sweetness. overall great scent. Im glad I gave this a second go.

AP is great for colder days and night time do to how heavey it is, it lasts amazingly on skin

auroramaria
auroramaria

Very sexy and beautiful fragrance when i wear it i feel great and happy makes me feel so amazing.also very much complimentedthis one and petal.noir ate on my opinion the best from agent provocateur

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I had reviewed this earlier having only tested it over two days. I found it quite charming, though loud at first, because it reminded me of a classic rose/chypre but updated with dusty notes of saffron and a musky dry down.

But, having worn it one more time,at night (when my nose turns into a kind of nasal super power equivalent of xray vision) I now feel its statement is too loud, a little obvious in its musky quality.

This is partly because on my other arm I was wearing Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Lumiere Noire pour Femme, which wasn't fair to Agent Provocatur really! It did help me decide though

I can't see an occasion when I'd want to smell like this, unless I wanted to cut through the air of some kind of tacky nightclub!

The last straw was when my friend came round and sniffed a few of my perfumes, then said of AP 'oh that smells like a brothel'. He then went on to describe the woman who'd wear it: tight white see-through trousers with a glittery thong showing, visible tats etc.

Bye bye then Agent Provovateur, and take your clompy white stilletos with you..

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Based on widely divergent opinions surrounding this juice, I debated for a long time whether I should get Agent Provocateur. It is not easily available for a sniff in Canada, so this was a blind buy.

Well, it is love. It reminds of Diva, but a more subdued one.

Diva was a scent I adored when I was a teenager -- you guessed it, in the '80's -- but it was a little bit too much for a young thing like me. I recognized that Diva was for the grown up, confident, sexy woman. Well, fast forward 30 years, and I am now a grown up, confident and sexy woman (and I am enjoying it before it all goes towards natural decrepitude --LOL).

However, Agent Provocateur is not Diva. It is cleaner and easier to like for our 21st century sensibility. It is as if the nose (Christian Provenzano) kept the fundamental structure of Diva, while getting rid of its powerful ripeness. I actually like this trimming very much.

It also reminds me of Lady Vengeance, but so much better. Lady Vengeance takes on this sweetish, artificial note in the dry down that always prevented me from buying it.

So, after comparing it with other fumes, how does it actually smell on me? Well, absolutely gorgeous! I don't get the top notes at all. No magnolia or saffron flower. For me, it is all about rose, vetiver and cedar. I am almost tempted to say there is patchouli, but there isn't. The cedar plays the patch role, and it is magnificent in its dry, clean, woody structure which provides the backbone for the prickly, wild rose to sing.

Agent Provocateur is simply a stunning perfume. Yes, it is very different from the clean/fruity offerings of the day, but I dare say it can be worn by any woman, old or young, that feels confident in her happy and potent femaleness.

Methodorama
Methodorama

I don't know why this fragrance has been getting so much hate lately !? I love it :D ...it's a very sexy scent , it's a very unique scent rose like, powdery, incensy, dark, bold and very very naughty but very much womanly, I love it !! I feel it's for a woman who dsnt pick like occasions to smell a certain way, she just wears whatever she feels like whenever and dsnt follow trends and looks hot nevertheless!...try it , wear it and give it a chance ..it mite come a little strong at first but it just wears so dam well , am in heaven :)

sophie.elizabeth12
sophie.elizabeth12

I'm a huge fan of Agent Provocateur Eau Provocateur and had initially passed AP original up to buy Eau Provocateur last summer.

HOWEVER. I still had a fascination with the original Agent Provocateur. The opening bears a fantastic resemblance to rotting garbage on a hot day and I remember it from my summer in Boston. I bought the tiny bottle today (blindly and at a huge discount) and was shocked by how much I liked it.

I still don't like it as much as Mad Madame by Juliette Has a Gun, which has more complexity despite lacking that strange unpleasant but compelling opening note on my skin.

daisyM
daisyM

TopPilot, from the Agent provocateur official site the ingredients are: "pure saffron oil from India, Moroccan rose oil, Egyptian jasmine, French magnolia oil, amber and musk." So there is rose, but no vetiver nor gardenia or cedar.

aderesse
aderesse

Aayyy...this gave me a headache. If you like a rosey, soury, soapy, baby powdery cocktail then this is THE One.

szilvihorv
szilvihorv

Oh God... I don't know where to start describing Agent Provocateur. I wanted to like this so much, so-so much! I was looking forward to meet an intimate, sexy, feminine perfume, something that people (and hopefully men!) would turn their heads for. Well, one thing is for sure: I got heads turning, but sadly not in admiration. At the initial spray, it smelled like something to kill insects with - something very lemony and unpleasant. After it dries down, it just settles into this rotten rose smell that I just cannot tolerate, though I swear I did my best to find something in it to like. I'm so heartbroken, and I envy all you other ladies whose skin tolerates Agent Provocateur. Wish you all good luck with this scent, and I'm gonna admire it from far away.

chrisndema

I love anything with roses so this frag is an absolute delight to me. Unlike sum frags I have, on initial spray I can smell it on me all the time. I can see why many call this a dirty rose....it is, but done in a sophisticated way. I'm surprised the by price of this frag. One can get a 100ml for like $40 bucks. For what you are getting this is very good investment.

Inamorata

I first ”met” Agent Provocateur when, after buying some beauty products I also received a fragreance sample. I do not know exactly why, but at the beginning I was a bit reluctant, then I said I should give it a try.
It is an interesting creation. After a chemical debut, sharp like a knife, the rose notes come to life. This so unexpected. There are notes of red, rich roses, notes that you not necessarily associate with the rose flower itself, but with the baroque opulence. It is quite an odd combination, a mixture of old and new, of peculiarity and mordern extravaganza at the same time – and in the end its creators made it work. It is a blend of Indian saffron oil, Russian coriander, Egyptian Jasmine & Haitian Vetiver. The rose blooming within this perfume can be soft and delicate, or dark , rough and sophisticated. If you are a rose lover, you will most deffinetely love this fragrance too as it is filled with their scent.
Is it sexy fragrance? It is, if this sexyness also includes a dose of S&M. Apart from the delicate dominant flower , it has some wild notes in it, which appear from the very beginning and persist until the base notes dry down. I find this to be a bold, yet elegant fragrance, suitable for an ”uptown” girl with expensive clothes and jewelry and with a bitchy attitude.
It is most certainly not the type of perfume I would wear every day, but, from my point of view, every woman should have a fragrance of this type on her vanity, for her wildest side.
I was even more excited to find on Strawberrynet Agent Provocateur Coffret which includes the fragrance and a glamorous body lotion. Ideal for pampering!

shasta
shasta

POWDER BOMB!!! The powder on this is a big kick in the stomach. This is the perfect fragrance for a dominatrix. You want to like her, you want to love her but she keeps kicking the sh!# out of your a$$.

VeeNVegas
VeeNVegas

Roses, roses, roses!
I try not to review a perfume until I have worn it more than once or twice but sometimes I am so disappointed in a scent that I just can't help myself.
I put off buying this forever but it was suggested to me several times and the reviews are so glowing that I finally had to give in.

There is nothing sexy, erotic, mysterious, or spicy about this perfume. It is only an old fashioned rose scent. Years ago my grandmother wore Avon Roses Roses and that is what this reminds me of.

Nirhtuc
Nirhtuc

Pepper, pepper, and more pepper! And this is the perfume on a card (from a registered retailer), and not on me. It would be more aptly named 'Agent Pepper'. I honestly don't know how it would smell nice on anyone. Definitely a dislike from me!

Krupp
Krupp

I am the happy owner of a 8 ml probe of Agent Provocateur, and after wearing it today, I feel as the happy owner of 8 tonnes of roses. And nothing else. No provocations, no worn panties, no smell of woman-skin-after-sex, no musk, no other exotica. Just roses, even wonderful ones! I like the rose scent very much, although I recognize its limitations, especially for indoor use, fx in the office. Agent P is therefore to be used with light hand, unless you work with gardening...

LB152
LB152

While I would love to add some kind of poetic or romantic addition here...

I CAN'T.

I CANNOT...for the life of me find any other way to describe this fragrance other than worn panties. (And please do not act like I am the only one who has been curious enough to smell their own panties...)

It seriously reminds me of the scent I (and I believe other women) emit when aroused.

I tried and tried to find another way to effectively describe what this scent makes me feel...but this was the only thing I could think of. Sorry.

The best part of this fragrance arrives at about 30-40 minutes in.

When I initially sprayed it...I felt a bit disappointed because I was expecting a really sexed up scent but that was not AT ALL...what I experienced.

It opened to a blast of very synthetic indistinguishable aromas which made me initially write it off as cheap and a waste of money.

I SWEAR BEFORE WHATEVER (you fill in the blank) it wasn't until 35ish minutes later, as I was lying on my bed complaining to my husband about what a disappointment this fragrance was...did my curls seems to fall perfectly over my right eye, as my eye lids lowered, and I began to feel playful...antagonizing my husband in hopes that he would slap my butt????!!!! IT WAS SO WEIRD. It was at that moment...that it all clicked and made perfect sense why this fragrance is so talked about.

It has a nice silage that is not too heavy and actually stays close to you (at least on me) and which makes this a VERY VERY intimate fragrance. The longevity is pretty good too..as I write I am about 7 hours in. It's not an everyday scent and is most suitable for night IMO, unless you're anything like me and enjoy feeling aroused and arousing others with your fragrance all the time. I detect musk and (I THINK) vetiver and soft traces of rose most. There is also a dewy moist sensation that I get from this scent but I am not sure which element produces such an effect. It has a slight resemblance to Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely but is a little less dainty and coy about what it's here to do.

AP is a keeper!

happycapybara
happycapybara

Hmmmm… still not sure where I stand with this one. I eagerly blind bought it for so many reasons i.e.; intriguing name, unique bottle, promise of exciting frisky feelings in husband… to name a few….

I am trying and trying to feel something for, and just like that guy that you really wanted to date in college, who after months of scoping him out with the girls, giving him the not so subtle looks and smiles, finally asks you out!…yay!! and then, what a let down.... His breath is not great and he is kind of annoying? Well, I think that is how I feel about AP.

The initial sharp top notes in my bottle are so heavily laced with saffron and musk, with the shy rose peeking around the corner, completely overshadowed by her loud counterparts. I wait and wait for the whole composition to soften, but alas, that saffron is right there, not giving up.

I do not feel particularly sexy in this. When I go sexy (with this heavily musky, light floral vibe which AP is), I love Boudoir as well as Narciso Rodriguez for Her Parfum. I will keep trying though…

Edit : I have tried this again because I woke up with a craving to smell AP again .... after dreaming about it last night... kind of a restless dream but interesting ... Anyway I am resting at home and enjoying it very much . So far it is a lovely match with my silk pajamas and loungy attitude today. I am also looking forward to wearing this out when I am looking g and feeling my sexiest ;) and seeing where the night leads ...

christianne1
christianne1

Well, the suspense was killing me on this one so I finally decided to order it (can't beat the price so I bypassed sampling) and I must say I just love it. While very sexy, it isn't the dirty beast of a sex monster I was expecting. Maybe because I am so immune to sex beast scents since that seems to be what I am drawn to...it seems much tamer than I expected. Very rosy, lots of saffron and musk. The musk is actually tamer than I expected. Just enough to make this very sexy though.

My nose must be filtering out the dirty nether regions because I am not getting any of that (but if dogs start greeting me over enthusiastically nose first I may be mistaken). What I am getting is an amped up version of Lady Vengeance x 12. They are definitely quite similar but AP is more of the even badder gal. I will use the Olsen Twins as a reference. You know how one of them seems slightly more restrained and "tidy" and the other always has mascara smeared all over her face, messy hair and is usually smoking? She is Agent Provocateur. The other one is Lady Vengeance. Neither are exactly Princess Di in the "lady" department but one is clearly more rock and roll. That is how I see AP and Lady Vengeance. LV is the more wearable version of this, safe for any time of day or year. Agent Provocateur is more of a "big" night scent. But that doesn't stop me from rocking it at 10:30am like I am right now (where is my smeared mascara?). I work alone so I only have to worry about pleasing myself and not others...and right now I am very much pleasing myself with Agent Provocateur.

Juliana6
Juliana6

I remember Roja Dove has said that choosing a perfume is like choosing a lover. To know if it's good, if it suits you, you must spend a night with it.
So I did it, I sprayed this perfume on my wrist and went to bed. And wow! This created a great amount of erotic dreams!
The scent is all about rose, but it's not that soft, rosy, tender rose, in my imagination it's a deep red, velvety, sensual rose. And you take it, you caress its petals, you softly push them apart to enter into the very heart of the rose and taste its nectar. The amber and the musk reinforce the smell of desire, make it sophisticated, tempting.
Deep, extremely sensual, only for special occasions.
The staying power is amazing!

hehehihi
hehehihi

It was my blind buy. First smell - saffran and vetiver. Sharp, spicy, shocking. Good choice. But...

When I'm wearing AP I'm feeling naked and ashamed, provocative, like a hooker, not an elegant one, perverse. I don't know what to think about it. Interesting scent, for sure. In my opinion best for intimate situations.

Longevity and sillage are excellent. Try before you buy.

Bluemarinejosephine
Bluemarinejosephine

One of the previous reviewers, Insolence, wrote something which finds me completely agreeable.

"This is not a perfume created to allure your man. It is to make you desire yourself".

And, this is why I like this perfume sooooo much!

Firstly, it is encaged in a lovely porcelain bottle which is a tasteful difference to the usual glass bottles). It is a lovely blend of floral chypre with saffron oil, coriander, Moroccan Rose oil, Egyptian Jasmine, Vetiver, French magnolia oil, amber and musk and the result is wonderful!

It is animalic and balsam in the way “Samsara” by Guerlain is. It does not smell like ‘Samsara” neither does it remind “Samsara” in any way. But, it has this same warm, deep, dark feel to it.

On my skin, I don’t feel a dominating rose note. On the contrary, I don’t feel that there is any note overpowering others; it is a well balanced blend.

Its lasting power is massive. I can smell it on my skin even after a long hot bath. It stays on scarves and sheets. Its silage fills the room… either as you enter or as you exit.

But, most importantly, it is made for you to seduce your own self. In plain words, it is really good.

Enjoy the perfume hunt!

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

I had some lingerie pieces and told myself I should give it a try on fragrances, as well, and I got it on a real special price from Strawberrynet. I am not disappointed at all about it. It's sexy, floral and musky! I feel charming when wearing it!

Sara Akmal
Sara Akmal

Had this. but its just not for me.

KATERINA LABROPOULOU
KATERINA LABROPOULOU

Spicy, soapy, rose smell where the rose is kept in a treasure chest. Sexy in a provocative manner, I don't understand so many dislikes. It is quite unique smell, very detectable, strong, extra long lasting. I would imagine wearing this with leather jacket and pants, high hilled boots and attitude. I like it a lot and I consider this in the same category as "Black orchid" and "Boudoir" in one word "masterpiece".

insolence
insolence

They say it is considered to be sexy because of the advertising influence. Yes, it happened with Westwood's 'Boudoir' which is sugary sweet and very generic smelling, but they still call that sexy because this is what boudoir should be about.

Frankly speaking I dislike other Agent Provocateur fragrances. They don't smell neither interesting nor expensive to me, but this one... I find this quite unique and very intriguing...

No, it's not sexy. Sexy is Miss Dior Le Parfum. Agent Provocateur does not smell sexy, it smells erotic. I never liked its opening, but the drydown reminds me of a woman's body scent during lovemaking, when a skin chemistry starts to change due to chemical reactions or releasing some chemicals in blood.

Agent is subtly warm, animalistic, feminine, just a bit sultry. I don't think it was created to turn him on. It is to make you desire yourself.

Coco Mademoiselle eau de toilette does the same job for me. This one is very different though. I want Agent in my collection.

Revontuli

Sorry but what's this "old lady" etiquette for classy, elegant, feminine and sexy perfumes? Plus, what do you think they were using back then in their youth, Justin Bieber or Britney Spears fragrances? There's no damn age for femininity!!!

pelega
pelega

very sexy perfume

CBT
CBT

Lately, I've been craving a heavy, animalic scent - something dirty but old school. Since Vivienne Westwood Boudoir is out of my price range for the time being, I decided to try Agent Provocateur. My feelings are extremely mixed.

I love overpowering, musky perfume. My skin chemistry works well with them and has a tendency to enhance any "skanky" notes that are present. I also love heady, almost oppressive roses, so in theory this should have been amazing. The reality was..bizarre.

When I first sprayed, I got an intensely animalic dirty sourness, but without any sweet or floral notes to soften it.It reminded me of cheap scented oils I used to buy at gypsy fairs when I was a teen goth (after they'd spoiled), but also a dirty old woman? Not dirty as in sexy or post-coital, dirty as in gross. It was the kind of indolic tarty-ness I usually enjoy in scents like Lush Lust, but dialed up until it was unbearable. I wanted dirty and I got way, way too much of it. It was like my skin had curdled the perfume.

5 hours later, the dry down is much more manageable. I can glimpse a hint of roses and there's the suggestion of something unclean and overripe (these are not necessarily bad things). It's the difference between having someone whisper Delta of Venus in your ear vs having them scream 120 Nights of Sodom in your face. I can't quite decide if I like it, but I keep sniffing my wrist - I might like it better if I'd "misted" myself with it lightly, instead of spraying it directly onto my wrist.

Overall, I'm still undecided - it has all the components I'm looking for and is too intriguing to dismiss, but doesn't quite have that "ohmygod you smell amazing" effect on me. L'Agent and Maitress were both nicer on me, but not on sale >:(

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

this is the perfect name. Some days when I know I'll be in the office all day, I spritz this before leaving the house.All day, I feel like I have a secret that no one knows. It is truly a sexy smell. I'm normally anti-flowery; but the saffron & jasmine combine a smoky, alluring scent. You feel like your wearing a trench coat & stilletos. It is the one fragrance that I wear for me alone. I enjoy it so!

+1 Raina's review!!

It really does smell predominantly like something burning, a cross between melting plastic being closest thing I can remember. Opens very front-loaded with a BANG of hot, melty saffron. Beneath that there's an (also plastic smelling?) rose and sharpish white musk, but I find the hot plastic saffron smell really hard to pick up any other note around for a long time. I reveal my bias though; I've never found that note to agree w/ me (Ange ou Demon, for instance, also insults my nose)

ETA----------------------------------------------------

I'm beginning to think that perhaps this is VERY much an acquired taste. And I'm not sure how or why I acquired it, but I kinda like it now. Best news? The bf isn't offput by it. A hot rose, and yes I can see the odd smell of newly painted walls, or something to that effect. There is undeniably something chemical about it but, as with many of the more medicinal ouds, one grows to crave this scent with exposure. Something about this makes me think there should be oud in it and it reminds me a LOT of the general feel of Montale's aouds when you don't know what to expect.

P.S. I was wondering all this time why it's so spicy w only saffron/cedar/vetiver. Felt something else. It's CORIANDER, as listed in the description, and quite a lot of it!

pyji
pyji

I wore this layered with SL's Koublai Khan when I still had a sample - I thought this was a sweeter, powdery rose that was tempering the animalic fury of KK. Now, when I revisit Agent, I find that she is surprisingly animalic, and even in the same vein as KK, though obviously without the warmth of KK's spices.

I like both of them, though I prefer KK, as the warmth of the aforementioned spices works better with the animalic rose than the relatively cooler vetiver of Agent. Definitely still worth owning, however, almost as if Agent is the femme version of KK, a nymph whom he chases and eventually entangles in a sweaty romp on rose-swathed earth.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

This is one of the most beautiful, sultry roses I have ever smelled. Rather than radiate around me, it projects forward, and the beautiful sillage is like enchanted twisty tendrils that wrap, finger by finger, around the person who is close enough to hold you. This is a perfume for a young sorceress.

Men become slack-jawed and stammer something about how good I smell. Women perk up in a panic, and immediately ask what perfume it is that I am wearing and where they can get it.

I never tell them though. Because it is ALL MINNNNNE. ;-)

Love.

extrasensoryperception
extrasensoryperception

I have resumed my love affair with this brand and am in love with this juice and its sister frags, L'Agent and Strip.
I am swapping men for AP; it can be buried and resurrected without repercussion, is reliable, always smells divine and I don't mind it being in my underwear drawer!
I was too young to appreciate its unique charm but I'm all grown up now.

persefoni
persefoni

A couple of years ago, when it came out, i thought " oh no, too strong a smell to wear!" I was wrong! This is a marvellous scent!

It's another one of those smells best described as erotic! Its warm, deep saffron and rose lie beautifully on the amber and cedar! It honestly has this sex-vibe!

Another advantage is its magnificent lasting power! But the strongest card is its uniqueness! "Oh yes, too nice to pass!"

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Musk notes are present, little bit too plastic synthetic for me, soft rosy powdery dry down, not really provocative, but very average including a longevity.

ChypreAnn
ChypreAnn

Don't be afraid of Agent Provocateur! What I get, especially in the drydown, is a very nice fresh rose/clean musk fragrance. It's almost as though I layered Chloé Eau de Parfum with Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely or a Narciso Rodriguez musk. I think this fragrance is very elegant and sophisticated.

queenofcups
queenofcups

i got shocked when i first tried this,
felt strong and suffocating !
but now after it calmed down, i am very very much enjoying every bit of it .........
it first calmed down into smokey saffron, deep and sexy
and now i can smell flowers and musk
it is not dirty at all, it is rather classy and warm,
i can imagine why it is called Provocateur, it really is inviting and warm,
i like it and can easily mix it with a tad of honey or vanilla......

dioraddict81
dioraddict81

Love this perfume! Very Sexy! It's a bit strong for the novice perfume wearer, so test it first before you buy. It's one of my favorites!

suebitz
suebitz

STOP TALKING ABOUT 'OLD LADY SMELL' IN THIS APPALLING WAY!! WE WILL ALL BE OLDER SOME DAY AND STILL WANT TO USE PERFUME! IT'S DISGUSTING AGEISM AND IT NEEDS TO STOP!

MaddieClfd

I did review it earlier, but... I couple of months ago bought EDP and a body powder.
It's not easy to wear, but all these years I was so intrigued by AP, that even the fact that I hated it years ago, didn't put me off from trying it again.
It's a difficult fragrance, and I love that. The opening is so harsh - it may be the rose, but not sweet type, raw and cold. It smells very sharp and clean ('do I smell a disinfecant?').
After 30 minutes, the fragrance gets warmer. It's a very, very provocative floral fragrance, sexy and feminine. Lasts very long, initialy has a big projection. I suggest spraying on skin only so it can develop properly (musk and amber make it warmer and 'sweeter', but not vanilla like sweet).
I love it - a bit naughty for the office, but I like to be a bad girl and apply this sex in a bottle from time to time. My partner likes it, but I appreciate it's controversial.

Body powder box is just cute, and powder itself is strongly fragranced (to my nose the smell of the powder is exactly like top notes of EDP)

personagrata
personagrata

You must spray from a distance to really appreciate this, a little bit and it is a rose vintage heaven. But on the clothes it really is bad, unfortunately, really stale and dry . On the skin I find it soft, inoffensive and intimate sexy, depending on the mood and on the ...clothes

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

My skin must be killing this scent. I love roses and skank and spices, but I get none of it. On me this is very old, dead, bitter with age, covered in dust, rose potpourri. I keep trying it, because it sounds so lovely, but I am noticing that the reviews seem to divide into the wonderful, sexy, decadent rose and spice camp vs. the dead, dusty, and bitter one. Sounds like serious skin chemistry dependency.

joan100
joan100

This scent has an aquired scent. You either love it or hate it. This distantly smells like Estee Lauder Youth Dew so it definatly has a vintage vibe. Both perfumes remind me of strong smelling perfume oils from the Middle East. Bold, Spicy, floral and musky. Dont be deceived by the cute girly pink bottle!

ScentedPianist
ScentedPianist

Agent Provocateur is, dare I say, one of the most agressively sexy perfumes I've ever smelled.

It starts of with a quite strong, old-fashion animalic scent which is just loud and provocative. There are no secrets with Agent Provocateur. I want you. Right here. Right now. (Obviously not my intention while using this perfume and meeting with people). As soon as it develops, it gets softer, warmer and more floral. It dries down to a very rosy-woody-ambery-animalic scent, and it remains like that until it disappears. It has a masculine edge to it, as well. And, I can say, the drydown is very, very beautiful.

It lasts a lot on skin (and I mean, A LOT), 8-10 hours with a huge sillage in the beggining, being medium-high at the final stages of the perfume.

I imagine it in a powerful, femme fatale woman, regardless her age. You just have to have the guts and character to wear such a fierce composition, ultra dark sexy animalic sultry woody rose.

As a man, I wore this with no problem: it was never too feminine for me to feel uncomfortable with, and the woody-animal side to it was really enhanced on my skin. I got noticed, everyone said I smelled disturbingly different in a weird way, but they loved the scent at the same time.

It might be too much in the beggining, but you have to wait until its beautiful drydown appears.

It is for sure a test before buy perfume, no blind buys with this one at all, it might get weird on your skin. Nevertheless, worth a test.

A big thank you to kikilove for letting me try this one. :)

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

I agree with many other reviewers who describe AP as being like an old lady straight up powdery rose fragrance but with a disturbingly animal sexy kick to it that keeps you coming back for another sniff in spite of yourself.
At first the rose scent is so strong it is sneeze inducing to me but it does settle to become wearable and as the other floral notes and then the base notes come in it becomes a much cosier cuddlier thing in the dry down. Even my cat likes it.
It is strong and would choke a dozen people in a lift if you overdo it. But then I am an 80s girl and I like my fumes strong and sexy. This is way different to my 80s sillage monsters but I think I love it.

spidola
spidola

IT’S REALLY POWERFUL!!!
I smelled dry, sharp, woody rose that reminded me a Midnight Oud of JHAG. In fact both of them (AP and MO)have the rose and saffron which you can smell on the top...The opening is even too strong for my taste. The try down is more pleasant – creamy, woody rose , probably the combination of cedar, vetiver and musk.

It 's a scent I associate with Middle Ages and magic – like there has been some witch who created a magic potion to make someone fall in love ...

I could wear it in small doses – when I’m in the wave of exaggerating!

Owlie
Owlie

I won't describe the progression of the scent too much, since I have a rather developmentally-challenged nose--still having a hard time deciphering different actual notes within a fragrance, and how they can come in and out at different times, like players on a stage.

What I will say about this fragrance, is at first blast I am immediately drawn in and repelled, simultaneously. I get an incredibly seductive scent, mingled with a strong repellent odor, similar to urine.

After it dries down a few minutes, the intense urine scent fades drastically, and then I get roses mixed with musk and other notes I have a hard time identifying, notes that smell slightly dirty. After an hour passes, the rose smell (to my nose) is in the same vein as the rose in Portrait of a Lady, maybe not a sister, but surely a cousin. A sluttier, younger cousin.

I think I need a full bottle. Maybe a 1 oz rather than a 3.4, since I will need to be in a particularly smutty mood to wear this.

aliora
aliora

I have a rollerball of this and bought it blind simply because I've been wanting to try it out but never got to test it since I never see it on the counters. I see the resemblance to Knowing from Estee Lauder and a bit of Aromatic Elixir, but on me I mostly get soap. Lots and lots of soap. I don't get much spice at all, which is disappointing. If a man has my chemistry, he could probably wear this.

garamascara
garamascara

Over the summer I searched and searched to find my perfect rose. This was the winner. It's not exactly perfection but it comes the closest of any I have sniffed. Smells of dusky meaty roses and warm damp panties with just a hint of tinkle. These are not your grandma's roses, neither are they bright summer garden party roses; these roses are dark and seductive and rank very high on the skank meter.

emo_onigiri
emo_onigiri

At first spritz this perfume is so bizarre and I thought it smelled old fashioned and disgusting but a few minutes later after the drydown, I find myself smelling myself constantly. This strong rosy, musky scent is difficult for me to stay away from...it's addictive!! I still feel it has an old timey feel to it but in a kind of cabaret girl kind of way. It smells very sexual and x-rated to me. IM IN LOVE WITH AGENT PROVOCATEUR AND HAVE NEVER SMELLED ANYTHING LIKE IT!!

mashuda
mashuda

I didnt like this at first, until I realised that it was because I was fabric testing and not skin testing..... and I couldn't put up with the initial stong pungeunt burst of 'pissy' ness this had...... but now I think this is beautiful. I don't have anything that smells like this and I'm kind of addicted to it. Love love the drydown.

Update: hubby loves this too! ;)

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

starts off a little dirty spicey , lots of saffron and rose, and quickly dries down to a very elegant floral, powderiness is pretty minimal... I think this is gorgeous, classy, I do wish it didn't turn so pretty and soft and kept some of the dirtiness in tact. But overall I think this is a winner :)

Very Arabic, I really don't get good old lady or bad old lady from this at all, lol

It's a creamy dreamy saffron rose that I believe is signature scent worthy

deceitfulkisses
deceitfulkisses

I just bought a discounted 100ml bottle of this online in the porcelain edition, feeling sure that this was a scent that I had nearly bought on several occasions a few years ago. Maybe I've confused it with another scent in the Agent Provocateur family because on first spritz this smelled pungent! On me the scent is a heavy woody-smokey musk with a hint of spice. Fortunately the dry down is a nicer powdery musk, it's actually almost like parma violets - but still for my nose there is no rose and none of the wonderful florals listed in the middle notes which I had lusted after. This has left me quite bitterly disappointed.

This perfume (on my skin) is not awful, but it definitely isn't what I'd call 'sexy.' And I'm not sure when I'd even where it. I might try spraying it on my clothes instead. Perhaps this perfume will grown on me with time, but I am regretting my choice! Approach this fragrance with caution!

ranchorita
ranchorita

In Agent Provocateur, the rose and vetiver perform a beautiful duet, their notes intermingling seamlessly in the most perfect harmony. In fact, these two notes seem to keep each other in check in a very complimentary way, making each more interesting. Rose can be TOO much, and so can vetiver, so they sort of tie each other up with duct tape and play naughty in a restrained sort of way. The faint underpinnings including musk and amber serve to underscore the dance of the vetiver and rose which remain at center stage throughout. This is quite lovely.

Henna_Flowerz
Henna_Flowerz

I wanted to like this so much after reading the description in a French magazine. Saffron, Moroccan (m'gouna) rose, vetiver, all my favorites. I could faintly smell the saffron and rose hiding like wallflowers behind a big obnoxious white-flower smacking my nose around. Then the dry down, it was strong nose stingy powder, with a moldy musty kind of edge. I was super confused. For the next 8-12 hrs, can not escape the obnoxious white-flower, musty basement powdery tag team. The musty ness was also skanky at this point. I checked online reviews and noticed some of them commenting on that musty note. i like plenty of indole-y jasmines and black musks, but this nasty power/musty/musk is just beyond. Definitely smell in person before purchasing this one!

cecyben
cecyben

For me AGENT PROVOCATEUR is a great fragrance and I love it so much !!! It is the only perfume that I can perfectly distinguish the top notes (that last about 10 minutes) of the middle and base notes: they are totally different. It is really a very sexy and romantic perfume, I repeat: I LOVE IT !!!

winkibat
winkibat

For the first 15 minutes, I thought I had found a new signature. It opens on me as a huge, powdery garden filled with mostly roses. Huge, but not overwhelming. It reminds me of my grandmother (no, not in an "ew, old lady smell" way.) When I was a little girl, I loved the smell of her bedroom. She had a tray on her dresser full of all of her creams, powders and perfumes. Somehow, all of those scents mixed together beautifully, and Agent Provocateur smells exactly like I remember that room smelling. Just a very PRETTY smell. I love it. A lot. Until the drydown.

After about 15 minutes, the powdery florals start to soften and I start getting more of the spice notes. Still love it then. But by an hour in, it smells to me like a spicy amber with just a hint of floral. Still a perfectly pleasant fragrance, but it takes me from "I have to go buy a giant bottle of this right now, I love it!" to "Well, it's nice, I like it, but I'm not going out of my way to get more of it."

ETA: I see that most people marked this as a fall/winter scent. I think I'll try it again when the weather gets colder and see if that pushes me out of "like" and into "love."

thazinha30
thazinha30

Absolutely no offense to anyone but this to me smells... disgusting, no other way to put it. Stuff people used to wear back in the 80's. Big time powder and only powder. Blagh!!! I probably am not sophisticated enough to appreciate this fragrance as there are so many people who love it. C'es la vie!

Jinjanoo
Jinjanoo

I always get lovely compliments when I wear this :o)

lindaberlin
lindaberlin

I love this scent. Just got a 5ml sample of this from an order. I cannot detect the rose, but I can smell the magnolia, cedar, vetiver and amber. Almost a masculine smell. I cannot stop sniffing the back of my hand. Put it on this morning and it is late afternoon and I can still smell it. Delicious!!! Will be ordering a full size as soon as I can, hopefully a BIG bottle. Just gorgeous!!!

artsyrn
artsyrn

This has a naughty,seductive,enticing essence and is one of the most unique scents out there! She is clearly sensual and artistic, free-spirited,warm,sweet,addictive,compelling,interesting... yes, I love this juice!

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

"Hot Fruit!" was my first thought when I sprayed this on. While there is no fruit in the ingredients, this smelled spicy and sweet, and pungent! Who would wear this? Me. Who else, Jerri Blank from Strangers with Candy, and maybe you. If you know of Jerri, you know she's, been a boozer, a looser and a user, and she often has worked as a lady of the night. She's a little too much, and she always speaks her innappropriate mind! She threw a party and served hot fruit in a bowl, "Oh disgusting!" Maybe to eat but not to wear.

This is drying down to a musky exotic rose, (perfect for someone returning to highschool after 32 years on the streets) A noticeable scent for sure, and not like much else I have smelled. I also really like the EDT, which is it's own scent altogether but has a similarity in the zesty spicy top notes.

I am quite jealous of Yourfoxiness and her matching powder!

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Agent Provacateur the original is a love or hate scent! I dreamed over the sexy pink bottle for ages and eventually ordered a mini. I was so dissapointed when I applied this woodsy bomb!

Fast forward a few years and a lot more perfumes.. I found my mini under the dresser..

Agent opens with a fierce, woodsy blast of cedar, vetiver & saffron! It's very strong, & probably off putting to many as it was for me at first. However, now that I love vetiver, & cedar, I find it bold. It's a sexy chypre, to me. No sweetness. that richly dry wood, rose, musk, and a bit of jasmine. The halo is dramatic & daring, provocative indeed, this lady in pink is not shy! She holds nothing back, but a bit of pale jasmine & creamy magnolia after she decides to get to know you. It is a different take, ill admit I was hard to win over, but I absolutely love this sexy bombshell! This is what Victorias Secret fragrances should aspire to be. Ill be the first to say test this before you buy it! Give it a few good wears, all the way to the end. & if you wear it in the right environment, it will be a very big hit! Do not expect sweets here, this is not for gourmand or polite violet lovers. If you're into Magie Noire, or perhaps Bandit, this may be love for you. No leather here, but this bad girl can pull it off when she wants! Rawr factor in a bottle! But only for us bad girls.. Wink.

I'd add, that I bought the powder as well, which is in a very charming presentation, as well as the bottle which I have a very dear lady to thank! The powder is very highly perfumed, and responds to body heat with a burst of beautiful scent. I'm impressed, & I'm now curious to investigate the rest of the line!

goingblonde
goingblonde

I like Rose ,
and with all the positive rewiews,
been wanting to try for so long.

Got a sample yesterday ,
Glad I didnt blind buy it.
I cant go into much detail , because I couldnt get to the dry down -
I couldnt handle it for even 10 minutes&
had to scrub it off.

insecticide/medicinal type odor is the best way I can describe it.
Dissapointed as I so wasnt expecting that.

mahadewi
mahadewi

Can't figure this one out. I neither love it nor hate it, it's just 'okay'. I love strong perfumes and love musk and rose, but this is just a bit 'blah' for me, and actually annoys me a bit. Wouldn't be my pick for a sexy seductive perfume either. Not a very descriptive review I know...but that's about all I can say.

Sarahlulu
Sarahlulu

My first thought was it reminds me of a visit when I was very young to a Department Store Perfumery (probably it was David Jones in Sydney) ..and the scent of the glamour and fragrance to be found there.

Yes it's luscious .. and very like an overblown rose and a little more spicy than I might usually choose. Perhaps that is the saffron, I don't have the expertise to decide. Drying down to mellow into musky rose. It is perhaps the most sophisticated of my tiny wardrobe.

I love it. Truly. I'm so glad I bought a big bottle. I will wear it often.

PastelMoon
PastelMoon

That is a traditionally, properly made fragrance. Rose, saffron, wood, musk. A perfume that smells "perfumy". I like it, it's rather heavy, dense. To me it smells mature, elegant and classy and not really that 'provocative' . Maybe mystifying and exhilarating but not really provoking. Best for autumn and winter but probably is good for nightwear, regardless the season.

illybansai
illybansai

This perfume gives me a vivid image of a pretty biker chick. It has a real leather jacket, musky smell under the lovely sweet rose. Very nice.

alumiini
alumiini

One hell of a fragrance! I simply adore this. Also this is best rose fragrance ever.

When i'm wearing this i feel confidence and sexy.

Scent reminds me from old Holywood glamour, burlesque, strong women...

In a day use i just spray a cloud to the air and walk trough it. That's more than enough. At the evening tiny sprays on the wrist and neck is perfect, that's so strong stuff and overdose is easy to get.

This is simply one of the most unique and adorable perfumes and my signature.

Bottle is awesome and clever too!

Raina
Raina

Wow, this is quite a character. It seems as though there are really no two reviews here or anywhere that are the same in describing this scent, and I can understand why. It really is something you have to smell for yourself to get a sense of.

What I took away from the reviews was that this was a classical, powdery rose scent with notes of saffron and a major skank factor. And they're right.

Interesting? Most definitely. Pleasant? Definitely not. Worth trying? That's up to you.

I sniffed at the nozzle of the sprayer and was pleasantly surprised by the lovely scent there. It was a sweet and delicate saffron with a slightly floral touch. I gave a generous spray onto my skin and was both intrigued and repulsed by what came out.

As soon as my nose hairs stopped burning, I understood immediately why people said there was a skank factor here. Its a strange combination of dusty velvet curtains, burning tires, civet, aldehydes, too much hairspray, and a touch of cigarette smoke. All of that and a smidgen of powdery old fashion rose, very soft and feminine, just to poke some fun at the direction the lingerie brand might have predictably gone. It smells like an overdone hooker that's been kicked to the curb, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Its almost like a satire of those classical, clean, powdery, ladylike rose scents. There's nothing clean about this fragrance, and it doesn't care to be clean at all. Its dirty and rough around all the edges, while still retaining its femininity.

That being said, this is a tricky fragrance to pull off. Its not something that will please very many noses, and I can see people cringing away from this one. I can even understand how this one might cause headaches. The opening is extremely harsh, but the dry down is softer and more powdery. Skank factor is still there, but it doesn't scream its presence. It gentles, our skank peeling away her tacky clothes to reveal elegant lingerie that's both kinky and expensive, and you can get more of the rose and a touch of saffron. I wish the saffron were a stronger presence, similar to what I got straight off the spray nozzle.

I always appreciate a fragrance that can put images in my mind. This one did. Well done.

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

For everybody who understands and likes this fragrance i am sorry but i have to say it: this is the worst scent in my collection. It reminds me something dirty. Odour of sweat which one tries to cover with soap. I tried to decode this perfume during couple of my home staying evenings but it still doesn't work. Everytime i wear it i'm stopping myself from breathing not to inhale the strange smell. I'm going to keep it hidden deep in my drawer and maybe some day i'll try to use it again.

parisalondres
parisalondres

totally agreed with mystica's every single word, it has pretty much included what i was going to say :) i was a big fan of AP, still I am. not only perfume it self, i purchased tissue paper, lip and nipple balm, shower gel, soap, body lotion, and candles back in 2000-ish. i like its edginess, darkness and sexiness!

redliz
redliz

This one is probably the MOST complex fragrance I own. It takes some time getting use to. I will say it has long lasting power.

mystica

I like so much the rose and saffron in AP. The bottle I have is 6 years old and the juice just gets better as it gets older; which I believe is the case with only well-made perfumes.
I particularly recently started to receive compliments wearing this. I believe it's an irresistible fragrance especially for cooler weather. It makes me feel very comfortable and sexy. It also smells unique and quite classy. Indeed I have added it on my favorites shelve.

I also need to say, the massage oils are simply terrific! Perfect to combine with AP (particularly the rose one) or alone.

Jonayla
Jonayla

This is one of dreadful fragrance I never bought. I ordered it blind on online, oh my it was my worst purchase ever. It smells like insecticide, it made me feel sick. Even my friends got headaches from it. But I still like the bottle it`s nice. But I never ware it again. I still get sick, if someone use it. Have to change the room. :(

seashellbikini
seashellbikini

Interesting what different people get from scents. I keep seeing this described as "powdery." I get NO powder at all. On me AP is a very heavy rose with a hefty dose of leather on the dry down and something astringent throughout. Totally unwearable for me if I spray it--I'm overwhelmed by the sillage. Dabbed it is much more doable for me, though honestly, I don't think this one is for me. Though it is beautifully constructed, I'm not much of a Big Rose girl. I prefer white flowers or the classic Chanel rose-jasmine heart. Definitely not a blind buy, even if you generally like your scents big and dirty.

antfarm
antfarm

This one is a tempermental gamble: sometimes it's a powerfully sensual powdery-musky rose that smells like a rich woman's underwear drawer, other times it's flat and whiny like a balloon that lost all of its air. Either way, it's the best Agent Prov. perfume. My boyfriend really liked it before I sold my bottle.

littlepepperz
littlepepperz

I can't make up my mind about this scent. It's very, very strong and quite powdery.
I guess if it's 'sexy' depends on your idea of sexy - I personally think that musky, tropical, dark, skin scents are sexy, they don't have to have amber or rose in them.

And this is why I'm torn. If I smell it with having 'sexy' in mind I quite like it. If I forget about the 'sexy' branding of this one, it's very overwhelming, a little old and rose'y.
I guess it is quite unusual and you should give it a go to see if you like it.
(8)

ruski-lady
ruski-lady

I tested this on my skin the other day. Definitely a very musky, powdery scent. It reminds me of those pink musk sticks you get in assorted lolly bags.

I asked my family to describe what they smelt: my mum got incense which I note a few of you have mentioned despite it not being listed in the notes. I agree that there is a hint of incense but it is combined with sweet notes, so it doesn't have that dark, moody, churchy feeling that incense notes can have.

My brother agreed that it reminds him of musk sticks. I liked it, but I'm not convinced that it is particularly sexy. It is certainly very feminine though.

As for sillage and longevity, it does not disappoint. It is not a close-to-the-skin scent for me - I did not have to put my wrist to my nose to smell it and I could still smell it on myself the next day.

MaddieClfd

I need to try it again just to see if I like it, if I'm ready for it. Maybe my sense of smell matured enough to 'see' the beauty?
Yes, I did try it in the past and boy, was I impressed.
Strong, strong smell, I've never smelled anything like that before or after for that matter. Was it good? Hell no! Chemical smell, soap? Cheap soap? Bleach maybe? Yes, it was this bad on my skin. It remains like that for a long time before it settles and becomes something that I can actually handle. I couldn't understand how could I use chemical weapon for seduction.
I'm curious what will I think of it now, it's one of the fragrances I really wanted to like heh.

annetw
annetw

Blind bought this online since it's virtually impossible to find this perfume in stores in Holland.

Blind buys are always a gamble, I know, but the notes seemed extremely appealing to my taste.

Well, I do like it but it's less dirty and animalistic than I had hoped.

On my skin, the rose really dominates. The spicy notes from the opening vanish quickly and are hardly traceable under the massive cloud of rose. For the price and descriptions I was expecting something more original.

Now I use an affordable simple musk (Tresori d'Oriente White Musk) to layer with Agent Provocateur. The result is what I would have liked this scent to be: more musky, a little less rose.
So with a bit of a detour, I'm happy with my musky rosey bomb.

But when it's empty I don't think I would purchase another bottle.

KasKas
KasKas

I like the perfume but I'm not sure it's FBW. It's pleasant enough but doesn't last on my skin.

To be fair, my skin tends to eat perfumes. So I need really strong ones (which people refer to them as obnoxious, hello TM Angel!) in order to have a lasting scent which in my case are not invading everyone's space, just a faint lasting smell.

EloquentOgre
EloquentOgre

I need to find where dirty hookers smell like saffron, roses, jasmine, and clean (but dirty in the most delightful way) musk. Because this place sounds wonderful.

Edit: I'd just like to note that the dirty hookers reference was a remark relating to an earlier "review" which has since been downvoted into oblivion.

CORCOR
CORCOR

Im not struck Ive got a bottle and got another for xmas oooops....its too rosy for me.

I smell roses and turkish delight along with a powdery scent VERY STRONG amazing sillage though ....but unfortunately the opposite to the scents I like, if u like roses u will adore this!

Eos
Eos

I finished a bottle of this back in the late 2000's and then switched to Coriandre which I thought was very similar. I recently decided I needed it back in my collection and purchased a small bottle of it. Wow. This is not what I remembered at all. Maybe my skin chemistry changed. Now I'm getting very little rose or musk and instead a tremendous amount of saffron, vetiver and cedar. I can't for the life of me see how I ever thought this smelled similar to my beloved Coriandre which is a rosey chypre. I think this would make a fabulous masculine, but I will sadly probably never wear it again.

nicolevivi
nicolevivi

you really have to wait for it to settle to smell the goodness

pickledtink
pickledtink

Soap.
Heavy heavy no escape pong. Grandma scrubbed you all over in the bath with a big bar of stuff she buys cheap because her sense of smell has vanished.

This is so nasty at least there's some relief when it dries down a bit. It starts chemical and after the initial wallop nothing much happens. It just fades a bit. Thankfully.
Once I detected briefly a faint hint of rose struggling to send out a tendril but it was swiftly overwhelmed with the ever present mish mash of synthetic floral.
No discernible Chypre although there is a vague ineffectual attempt at 'something' woodsy but nothing with any tang, sensuality or depth to draw you in.
By the time the base is reached it's no surprise to find that this too is horrible.
The nose is repulsed throughout not enticed.
A cheap synthetic mix chucked together. If top juice is hand squeezed fresh from succulent naturally grown fresh picked fruit this is E number laden, aspartame poisoned, revolting water diluted squash drink.
If I hadn't been asked to review this directly I would have been positive it was a cheap chinese rip off fake. All bottle and marketing spin without even a drop of decent essential oils.
Ghastly.

Nadia31
Nadia31

Amazing! I live this perfume and it lasts for ages, very powerful scent

Olia_Aroma
Olia_Aroma

First impression. Pale pink + black - hmm, I love this combination of colours, very sexy.
Perfume itself. Yeah, this is how provocation smells! You may like it or not, but you can't stay indifferent. Actually, my reaction after the first sniff was "ugh!". But then, after some time I felt craving for another sniff. And another. This perfume has finally made me love it!
Overall. If you are a confident sexy woman in the naughty mood - it's just for you ;)

tanithh
tanithh

I think it's too strong and not very feminine !! it's too musky yet it's very, very long lasting.

shishi
shishi

It was a gift to me, along with the lingerie, which I think is very nice and cute.

Too strong for me and perhaps too "rose"y. I just never really liked it from the start.

I did not feel it is very sexy, but I guess that is better to ask from a (potential) partner's perspective.

It doesn't match my idea of what the sexy lingerie looks like. That's my 2 cents.
But I do like the bottle and it looks nice on display.

Nancy Lynn
Nancy Lynn

I am shocked by all the "sexy" references, perhaps if it were called "petite rose" in this sweet pink bottle people would think differently.

Yes it is "womanly" in that it is not the fuity floral candy syrup passed off these days as perfume. It is a subtley blended rose with a powdery chypre vein running through it. I find it restrained and beautiful but not sexy, at least not overtly so. It is the wearer that would make this sexy I suppose.

Perhaps it is my scent memory that is making this less sexy. Conjurs up a strong image of my mothers beauty case. When I was a little girl she had a white leather traincase lined with pink satin and in it were things like Chanel #19,Je Reviens by Worth and Blue Grass by Arden, a gold powder compact, black lipstick tubes with coraly orange lipstick in it, a massive silver hairbrush and so on. This smells to me so much like that case so it is hard for me to get sexy out of it. Lovely though.

Also bings to mind a german woman I knew who was always fabulously ornamented in her dressing and full of drama with her amazing accent and her jewels and feathers and furs filling the room.

Ooh and yet another scent memory coming to me now, what is in this stuff anyway? Also reminds me of Demi Jour by Houbigant, the body powder version of it.

Ok done. Not overtly sexy to me, definitely retro like that white leather train case with the pink satin lining. I am enjoying it and could see myself wearing it again.

G00D_Girl
G00D_Girl

This congers images of The Black Forest overgrown with foliage.

Deep burgundy roses grow wild, moss weighs heavy on branch's.

The rose is slightly fruity... The fruit is over ripe and wine like.

This is dark and enigmatic, bold yet surprisingly natural, soapy but oh so dirty...

Magdalena79

i am writing about AP again because i grew to like it more with time and don't find it hard to wear anymore. it's very sophisticated and elegant and i like the smell of paper once it's settled.
one of my favourites! though i never spray more than once ;)

alchimia72
alchimia72

After the saffron note I smell a classic chypre fragrance. I don't detect any animalic note and I don't consider it a sensual or sexy fragrance. I smell a rose note, very sharp and strong, a little deep oakmoss note. Nothing that can be fixed in my memory. Not bad but not so particular as the packaging and the provocative brand can let think.

AGENT PROVOCATEUR= LEGEND MONT BLANC for men

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

this one is soapy amber fragrance...warm and sultry, long lasting as well.

miss mills
miss mills

Mama mia!! This is one hot potato! I bought AP when it first came out. Living in London, I would visit the gorgeous little store with its press button entrance (and the girls in tight uniforms with stockings and red lipstick) quite a bit so it reminds me of those days. Sultry, strong, seductively musky, this smells of sex to me, late nights, too many drinks and all the rest...it reminds me of a pale skinned brunette, curvaceous, daring, sexy, wild but in control of her destiny.

I still have the small bottle with the chain and keep a bottle of AP Sauce which is strong enough to use on its own without the spray. Either or, I won't be without my AP. An absolute classic imho.
Edit; The husband says it's "smokin".

milapequeno
milapequeno

The first spray is exactly Juliette has a gun. But it develops and the incense show up !.

Amazing.

So nasty.

But at the end also smell like Juliette. I don't know why incense is not listed as a note b/c is absolut there.

Janey1960
Janey1960

Love it love it love it

Whit
Whit

This is my first AP scent and I'm very happy with it so far. First off, this was a total blind buy; I was very curious about their scents and I figured this one would be a good starting point. When I had posted in the forums about this frag, one person described it as smelling like "dusty roses", and it does, but in the best way. :) This is what I wish Stella had smelled like on me. It's retro if that makes sense, and it reminds me of old Hollywood glamour. When I smell it, I imagine someone like Ava Gardner wearing this. It's feminine with musky roses and spice; it's innocent and naughty at the same time. I'm very happy I took a chance on this and I want to give a big "Thank you!" to everyone in the forum that gave me their honest opinions. Now I want to try more AP frags! :D

Green Jade
Green Jade

The best word to define Agent Provocateur is: exotic. Or love or hate ... It has great flavor and a peculiar fixation. Recommended for cold weather and night ... My interest in the scent came from a comment that the smell reminded a little Eau du Soir (I think chic and elegant but very strong for me). Agent Provocateur managed to convey the desired effect that I had with Eau du Soir.

A melhor palavra para definir Agent Provocateur é: exótico. Ou ama ou odeia... Possui ótima fixação e um aroma peculiar. Recomendado para o clima frio e para a noite... Meu interesse pelo perfume partiu de um comentário de que o cheiro lembrava um pouco o Eau du Soir (que eu considero chic e elegante, mas muito forte para mim). Agent Provocateur conseguiu transmitir o efeito desejado que eu não tive com Eau du Soir.

glawarien
glawarien

I had already been wearing A.P. Maitresse for a long time when I decided to try the original Agent Provocateur. Unfortunately it didn't feel sexy at all, it is "old lady" powdery instead and that comes from a person who actually likes powdery perfumes! I asked a few male friends to smell it on my wrist and they agreed that it would suit an older woman better (I'm 30+ , so I guess they mean really old woman!). It's not bad, just not sexy as supposed to be. It's quite sweet and well rounded as a perfume, no particular smell sticks out strongly. Rose and musk with a bit of vetiver are the most noticeable smells. Amber keeps it warm. Starts quite strong but quickly mellows. It stays on skin for a long time, several hours for sure.

muskymoi
muskymoi

First, I want to say that this frag is amazing. The first 3 hours on my skin makes me feel like it was made for me. Then, to my surprise and discomfort, it turns a teensy bit sour on me (can I even say, a little vomitty?) I don't know which specific note does that to me, but it's not the best thing I ever smelled. One reviewer mentioned that it smells like vase water after week-old rotting flowers have been trashed. I actually agree with that wholeheartedly, but only in the drydown IMO. I'll tolerate it because I love the top so so much. Even with the sourness, I still get a whiff of that gorgeous top-rose now and again...YUM.

hadassa
hadassa

This baby smells heavenly, literally heavenly on my skin. Big natural roses on the forefront, white flowers in the background, clean musk and fresh spices. It smells like a natural scent of a young woman.

However, please try it on yourself, no blind choices here. This perfume depends a lot on your body chemistry. On some people AP just does not work well and could be disappointing.

But if it does work on your skin... my congratulations! You have tamed one of the most beautiful modern classics! ;)

piapedersen
piapedersen

This is the most masculine scent I've ever purchased. It was a blind buy - because of the beautiful flacon (I do that a lot) - but I really like the notes. The tobacco and musk are strong in this, to my nose at least, and I do understand why a lot of you do not like this at all. But to me it is a very different scent when I compare it to the majority of what is on my shelf (90% floral fruities). This is what I would call 'an interesting scent'

orchid_84
orchid_84

Unfortunately, Agent Provocateur ended up smelling like a harsh chemical soup on my skin. This fragrance undoubtedly has a major animalic vibe going on. I don’t really smell musk per se, or at least not the type I am used to smelling in perfumes. My disappointment in this fragrance lies in the fact that the chemical-animalic scent grossly overpowers everything else, including the rose. I get tiny whiffs of a true rose scent here and there, but for the most part it is very hard to detect. The overall effect is that of a decayed rose.

The unpleasant smell in this seemed oddly familiar, and I finally realized what it reminds me of. On my skin, this smells like that rank scent that occurs when a bouqet of flowers is left standing in a vase of water for a few too many days. When you take the flowers out of the vase, the stems and water give off an aroma that can only be described as rancid. I wish I got the elegance out of this that others have described, but that was not the case.

elma721
elma721

Hi, everybody!

I need some advice. I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to purchasing a full-sized bottle and wanted to try a mini first but couldn't find a mini in liquid form, only in solid, so that's what I got. I wonder how it compares to liquid in terms of scent, sillage, lasting power, etc.? Does anybody have experience with both? Would appreciate any input.

yantiadi
yantiadi

i decided to buy this perfume after i read the reviews but was a bit worried that i wouldn't like it as the number of ppl hating it was slightly equal to those who like it..and...this perfume is a surprise for me!!..i love it at first smell :). to me it's bold and elegant, noticeable without causing headache..

about whether it smells sex, hmmm..i think it just simply depends on your mood..:) but i like the campaign that this perfume is associated to sex hahahaha..thank god it has no vanilla note..my nose just doesn't suit vanilla..:P

not insolence

Харесвам този аромат.Особено женствен,плътен,траен.Нося го с удоволствие.Не знам кого провокирам и кого-не-това не ми е важно.Нямам нужда от тълпа около себе си-отвявам плявата без проблем.Просто самотата е функция на ума,а не на тялото.Този,при когото отивам, ме познава много добре и знае,че е единствен.

avon50@hotmail.co.uk

its a face slapper oo0000w xx

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

I haven't yet smelled an Agent Provocateur I didn't like. They are all, just "wow", each in their own way of course. Maybe the Maitresse not so much.... but L'agent, Strip and Eau Emotionelle, yes. Just stunning! They all have different personalities.

Well, I kept the original Agent for last. And I am not disappointed at all; so much actually, that after sniffing a tester in a store last week, I couldn't take my nose off my wrist. So I had to go back and get a bottle...

It's somehow addictive, a little unpleasant in its vintage feel, yet incredibly sexy... just a tiny tiny bit sadistic... like a lover that lets your passion melt your heart and hurts your feelings before openly admitting they love you too.....

Back to the world of perfumes now... the bottle is similar to all others from AP. In my opinion, too simple; it feels like it's missing the cap. A very palid yet opaque pink...not my favorite. The scent is powerful, with good silage and lasting power.

It's rosy but the roses here smell more like dried rose petals, pressed between the pages of an old book than like real, fresh roses. There is a woody and dusty smell as well.... the image of an old library with moldy books with yellowed pages comes back to mind... rose petals scatter everywhere when you try to read a few lines, in a language that is antiquated or perhaps already forgotten.....

The dusty and woody vibes are nicely complemented by saffron in large doeses, along with musk and sandalwood. The musk usually gives me an impression of cleanliness, but not this one. This is of animal nature.....The tobacco is suble but there. It is dry too.... and although this isn't a note listed, I can smell a little aoud here too. And I love aoud, so it only makes it better.

If this perfume had some vanilla in it, it would have reminded me of Rose Kashmirie. But it doesn't have any. Instead the woods and the musk bring it close, very close actually to what? Sisley Soir de Lune!!! Yes, it's Soir de Lune at a better price, in a not so fancy bottle... ok, a little diffrence exists. Soir de Lune is the "lady" version. This one in the other hand, is a for a woman that openly admits her desires. That is for a lady, this one is for the female inside the lady.

It's for a woman not afraid to let the tigress inside show her raw hormones, her animalic nature, her untamed desires and needs, and sometimes the weakness of her own feminine heart.....
If you can identify yourself with her, then this is a perfume for you!

Love it, a masterpiece!

claudja smeller
claudja smeller

(ENGLISH)
In my skin, so the spray, AP takes a smell of sex, body sweaty sex. You bastard, you pimp, is vulgar (in the best sense of the word). Then he takes a 'shame in the face', becomes a floral released very tasty, coming to remind Sisley, but with a touch of tobacco (I think it's because the notes of saffron). The impression he gives is of a worldly woman, who lives in a cabaret evening, has handpicked its customers (who fight because of it). She uses these customers when and how well either, and after the fantasies fulfilled and satisfied the desires of this woman, she rejects these men, lights a cigarette, which quickly erases, loses his eye contemplating the infinite, she comes to, is reassembles realizes that the morning came, puts his clothes and goes to work as a teacher, she is the great woman of the family. I love AP.

(PORTUGUESE)

Na minha pele, assim que o borrifo, A.P toma um cheiro de sexo, de corpo suado de sexo. É cafajeste, é chulo, é vulgar(no melhor sentido desta palavra). Em seguida ele retoma a 'vergonha na cara', transforma-se num floral muio gostoso, chegando a lembrar o Sisley, porém, com um toque de tabaco ( eu acho que é por causa das notas de açafrão). A impressão que dá é de uma mulher mundana, que vive à noite num cabaret, tem seus clientes escolhidos a dedo (que brigam por causa dela). Ela usa esses clientes quando e como bem quer, e depois de satisfeitas as fantasias e satisfeitos os desejos dessa mulher, ela rejeita esses homens, acende um cigarro, que rapidamente apaga,perde seu olhar contemplando o infinito; ela volta a si, se recompõe, percebe que a manhã chegou, coloca sua roupa de professora e vai trabalhar: agora ela é a grande mulher de família. Adorei AP.

balzac
balzac

I think that this can be used as one of the steamiest, sexiest, erotic, bedroom sprays a certain "type" of woman could own. I wouldn't spray this directly onto any of my fabrics, rather I'd allow it to fall onto them and scent them delicately because Agent Provacateur is powerful!! One blast of this and...

For me, applying this directly onto my skin is almost a bit much because the Coriander from Russia note, That note dominates this scent, and It's almost a bit over-bearing.
It settles eventually into the woodsy-chypre scent, and becomes less intense on complete dry-down. However, there are major remnants of the Coriander.
All the other notes listed are dancing around this main component. roses jasmines and gardenia...they are presented very sweetly.

It's all about chemistry with this one, it must be tested.

I also think this chould be offeered as a room "plug in" scent, because it has a slight bit of cheap to it. (dirty) and that's not to say it's bad, it is... what it is.

It's an Invitation Only, scent. '-)

5/10 It's neither good or bad
8/10 for it's projection
8/10 for it's sillage

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

Nice spicy and soapy musky saffron is the predominant note on my skin then I also get the cedary florals. I love this one. It's very sexy and sultry. I agree with the reviewer who said this was "clean and sexy, but dirty and erotic at the same time".

This scent and Dolce and Gabbana pour Femme are my go-to power perfumes. The one's I wear when I want to feel powerful and confident.

This has great sillage and it lasts a very long time on the skin.

Very sensual and feminine floral musky fragrance!

This fragrance really smells very erotic. It's an exciting combination of the musk note beautified with the floral notes, spiced by the saffron note and deepen by the vetiver note.

The musk note smells really very touching and makes the magnolia, Moroccan rose, jasmine and gardenia enchanting floral notes less overpowering. In general this mix of the musk note and the floral notes reminds a body scent after the shower with using an aromatic floral shower gel. Actually, because of the musk note the floral notes smells soapy enough in general, but it's a pleasant and fascinating soapiness. I wouldn't say that the saffron note smells too spice. It doesn't seem to me cloying at all. And the vetiver note really makes this fragrance smells a little bit vintage. As for me, this note in this fragrance brings me associations with vintage dressing, especially skirts, for Can-can dancing, maybe because it's as provocative as this fragrance:)

The lasting power of this fragrance is really very good and the sillage is noticeable. I often get compliments wearing it. And I like that it is not sweet or just a little bit. Actually, I'm not a fan of sweetness in perfumes despite I like some sweet fragrances.

Also I like the design of its bottle and package, but especially the bottle design. Very charming!

I really love a lot this fragrance by Agent Provocateur. It's extremely sexy and really worthy!

Hotdoghusband
Hotdoghusband

A very strong but feminine eau de parfum, lasts all day long. I get some nice compliments when wearing it and is one of my favourite fragrances.

cinsot
cinsot

Admission into The Garden of Apollyon only costs you a tiny spritz worn discreetly. The gates fling open beckoning you inside and close with a thunderous boom announcing your sudden arrival.

As you step trance-like into the Evil One's rose garden acutely aware of your powerlessness you start to feel self conscious. You begin to question your motives convincing yourself you are morally corrupt and deserve to be punished for your provocative taste in perfume.

There is a restlessness around you, a stirring of unease in the air. The menacing aroma emanating from your cleavage subdues your prey.

The Prince of Darkness bows at your feet and begs for mercy.

jae
jae

This one was difficult for me to review, because it conjured up two different images, initially.

The first image is an elegant woman rendering me powerless to her seduction.. This is what instantly comes to mind in the initial phase of spraying AP. It's powdery, rose dominant and heavy all at once. I can detect magnolia and saffron instantly. Up-close, the saffron is potent. But moving the nose further away from the skin leaves you wrapped in the magnolia. I'd imagine that people will be either captivated or repulsed due to the saffron. I happen to be captivated by the magnolia. This is where I become powerless.

I have been going back-and-forth for 2-3 weeks on whether this is too feminine or not. Sometimes, I just think this is way too feminine and I bought it because I'm a sucker for roses. However, it's extremely rare that I'll buy a fragrance that I can't wear. There HAD to be something that I smelled in AP to convince me to buy it.

This leads us to my 2nd image.

Ahhh, my nose didn't deceive me at all. But it took some time for me to connect it to the image that drove me to add AP to my collection. If I were going to wear this, it would have to be complemented by a black pin-striped suit. The silk ties is black, pink and silver/white. The shirt, the handkerchief and the cufflinks are pink. During the drydown, the rose dominates this whole composition. On my skin, this becomes very well-mannered. Powdery and prim, I could not imagine wearing this casually. It will take some time before I can see myself wearing AP with anything else.

Wait a minute... These two images fit each other. But how? Being as though you'd only catch me wearing a pin-striped suit with pink involved for a DATE.....

Finally, I was able to put this pieces of the puzzle together. The suit is what I wore on the date in which I ended up seduced and sexually possessed, in a dark room filled with the fragrance of Agent Provocateur..

lulu7898
lulu7898

I am in love! Spicy, rosey, musky...my type of perfume. Very sexy and mysterious.

tinyheist
tinyheist

If Agent Provocateur was a woman, she would be a classic, doe eyed, vintage beauty with a coy and enchantingly seductive personality.

From the first time I ever spitzed this fragrance in a boutique in The Victoria Quarter, I knew that this fragrance gives the wearer something to live up to. This perfume is not for a jeans and band t-shirt's kind of girl (as I was at 17) not at all. This girl is slender yet curvaceous, wears hold up's underneath her pencil skirt and refuses a ringlet to fall out of place. With that said, Agent is by no means 'Skanky' as so many suggest; she is an 100% "you can look but you'll never touch" kind of deal. This fragrance is powdery and comforting, especially once it's warmed and dried down on the skin. The vetiver is prominent and adds depth and masculinity to this otherwise musky rose scent, in my opinion, this makes it all the more intriguing.

Five years on and I still have so much love for this scent. It's confidence boosting, long lasting and reminds me of a time when I felt I had so much to live up to.

Shwets
Shwets

Extremely sexy scent. My favourite Egyptian musk type fragrance. I bet this was one of the frags where all the oud based frags started from! Reminds me of rich classy Middle Eastern woman.

This perfume truly depends on skin chemistry. On the compatible skin this is amazing otherwise awful.

lara0905

I may say,Agent Provocateur and me weren't best friends in the past...and I have to admit I had to grown up to understand and see of this fragrance's hidden beauty.
I almost sold my bottle, but in the last moment I gave a last chance for Her...Oh my gosh, this is such a lush and sultry perfume!!!

Perhaps my taste has been changed over the years,or my sense of smell became more sophisticated, but this perfume just georgeous! So dark,so intimate,so victorian..I just see the victorian era with it's repressed eroticism,corsets and laced shoes, expensive dresses, aristocratic balls, tempting stolen glances..

To me Agent Provocateur is a dusty, dry, slightly bitter rose fragrance.I mean:don't think this perfume about cute and innocent roses..nohhooooo.:)Agent Provocateur about only BESTIAL roses. It starts very agressive and animalic, the cedar and vetiver bitterly screaming in the top with amber. The saffron gives a slight feminin touch for this dusty and old fashioned overture.It's really reminded me of an old,abandoned dusty house with it's own untouched furnitures.Impressions of an old room, inside an antique dressing table and a bed..they are silent withnesses of many lush nights..
After this loud beginning curious rose aroma joins to the heart and become stronger,darker, deeper.The sharp, mossy masculine notes just evaporates and rose takes on the role, sweetens by jasmine, muted by musk.The end is smooth,smokey- creamy rose musk.. Such a feminin, intimate and sultry fragrance..!

These heady, dusty roses are appear in Amouage Tribute Attar also, or if you don't like the bitterness of the vetiver and cedar, I could recommend Passion Dance by Avon-these perfumes are quite similar.

Agent Provocateur will be returned to my collection...and I have to say: never judge straight the first time...and please forgive me Agent Provocateur!...

AveParfum
AveParfum

At first I smelled it and thought, what's with all the hype? I am not big on wearing straight floral perfumes in the first place. Not only did this seem like it was strictly floral, but it also didn't smell like anything special. I continued to wear it anyway.

About 20 minutes later, the scent had changed completely. It turned into a rose and saffron DREAM! I've been seeking a perfume with strong notes of rose and saffron and can't believe I found it. It has an exotic vibe that I'm crazy about--very India/Morocco/Marrakech. I can totally see how this perfume is seductive and alluring. Love it!

Jellybean
Jellybean

Strong spicy floral. Safron, rose and pepper (not listed). I know safron itself is spicy therefore illusion of pepper maybe. Some creamy undertones in there somewhere too. Silage excellent (I can't wash it off)
Cross between feminine and masculine notes (common theme with A.P.'s fragrances).

angel15601
angel15601

I recently bought a sample of this perfume b/c of the reviews...I honestly did not like it. And neither did my husband. When i first put it on it smelt musky there was something i liked and then there was something that made me want to gag..(and i normally love perfumes with musk).I did leave it on my hand for a while and then it turned into a soap like smell an old lady soap smell :/..I will not purchase this perfume. my husband said he loves the ones i already have and that that one smelt like an old lady and it was not good at all...I'm glad I didnt by a bottle of it ..honestly i dont think there is anything sexy about it. Sucks though i wanted to like it..o well

oh forgot to add it made me sick i got a bad stomach ache b/c i decided to leave it on my hand for a while to see if the perfume changed when it dried ...i felt so terrible i had to washed it off :(

ashyashy
ashyashy

I can see why people disliked its opening but it stays close with the skin and it does smell quite softy sexy after like 3 mins. Worth buying

abloorable
abloorable

I have been wearing this for years since it was first available in Australia and I still love it perfume does smell different on everyones skin - so try before you buy and let it sit for a whole day - a good judge is smell your clothes the day after and if you still love it buy it..... I agree this one is not for everyone... but if musk and rose oil sit well on your skin you will love this!!

jtd
jtd

Agent Provocateur is a rose chypre in the 1970s-1980s style. It is gravelly like many rose chypres, but it seems to have a less gigantic rose than that of Lauder's Knowing and Rabanne's La Nuit for instance. AP's rose is rich, but comparatively low-wattage. It joins the patchouli in harmonious fashion and gives AP its oriental style lushness. The different rose changes the tone of AP. It is expansive and takes over the conversation as the genre tends to, but once it does it doesn’t free-associate senselessly and endlessly in 1980s cocaine-nightclub fashion (Montana’s Parfum de Peau for example.) AP is as big as the others of the genre, just not as overpowering.

I know many dig AP for its vaunted used-drawers nastiness, but I just get that mineral scent of soil that patchouli can lend to rose. Smells like a garden, really.

babydoll77
babydoll77

Ok, the best way I can describe this perfume is a heavy citrusy rose scent mixed with baby powder! It's a weird mixture that verges on possibly being labelled an "old lady" scent, when in fact it's just way too edgy and zesty to be JUST THAT!
I love it and it's THE BEST rose dominated scent I have ever owned! It's very sexy, but in a weird fetish way, and not the California playboy bunny kind of way! This would also be perfect for anyone who loves wearing latex, leather, etc because it's really that WOW, and it would just perfect any femme fatale ensemble, period!
This gem really lingers too, which I love! I just can't say enough good things about it! One of my BEST blind buys EVER!!!! Sooooooooo thrilled to have found this, an instant fave and I plan on wearing it for years to come!!!!!

Last thing: This really is a love it or hate it kind of scent and one which, those who love mass produced/sweet/girly/light perfumes will no doubt find suffocating, and move away from anyone wearing it hahahaha...you can't please everyone but it is sth you should be aware of if you're thinking of buying this as an "office" scent!

mchell43
mchell43

I got this perfume and I did like it as im a strong perfume fan.But people tended to ask what the funny smell was when I wore it , it took a few times of this happening before I realised they meant my perfume and I stopped wearing it. cat pee was used to describe the "funny smell" :O . Im not joking , sexy it aint

armaniboy
armaniboy

This is what i call SEXY.In my opinion it does not have much of a fragrance structure like top-middle-base, just to say that it doesn't change much.The drydown is a sexy clean-inviting erotic and still elegant never vulgar scent.More pheromone like scent than a traditional one.fantastic.

LaBoheme84
LaBoheme84

People have already made so many good points about this perfume, that I personally love, really love. The best thing I can add is trying to explain the comparison to Midnight Oud from Juliette has a Gun. I own MO and a sample (soon to be full bottle hopefully!) of AP. They are not so similar that if you have one, you don't need the other. The main accord in MO is a part of AP, but while MO indulges in the oud, AP expands with musk and coriander, lending a sexy, spicy edge, yet somehow staying clean and rosy at the same time. MO makes me feel like royalty and AP like a woman on the prowl.

vigilante_squirrel
vigilante_squirrel

Disappointing! Glad I only have a sample of this ... it smells like men's cologne on me! Nice men's colonge, but definitely masculine in nature. Has an almost medicinal note to it that's particularly off-putting. Definitely not for me.

bartenderbabe
bartenderbabe

Ooooohhhh...the force is strong with this one. This scent is a musky, dusky, rebellious rose, not at all to be taken lightly. A peppery, spicy perfume with notes so animalic they border on offensive. I can see alot of people perhaps labeling this the dreaded "old lady" scent, but if you take a closer look (or sniff) you will see this is not the case. This perfume is sophisticated royalty in it's own element...it is the perfume of a Mob wife grabbing her fur coat and heading out the door to a waiting limo, a backwoods country homecoming queen receiving her crown on a postage stamp football field in the middle of nowhere, a Big Fat Gypsy wedding with a teenage bride of bleached hair and teeth prancing about in the biggest, most beautiful gown you've ever seen. Excessive, gaudy, and in it's own brash way, absolutely breathtaking. Proceed with caution....

glitteralex
glitteralex

Not finished sniffing yet, but this is a perfume that I wish I could have sampled blindly- the bottle and the media hype make an objective analysis nearly impossible!

djgirl1976
djgirl1976

Wow- this just stinks to me. Like 40 year old rancid rose oil in a bottle filled with dust, rust, yellowed newspaper, toilet cleaner and bath water from a dog and stored open in a musty attic for 30 of those 40 years.

Annica
Annica

After reading the negative reviews of AP, I thought it probably was not a perfume that suited me but to my surprise it did so. Now I have only a perfume sample, but I am strongly considering buying a FB. Many have described it so well. A bit dirty, sexy, perfect for a night out. The drydown is to die for. It is really unusual and very beautiful. Two thumbs up!

polinkasuperova
polinkasuperova

i was reading all your lovely reviews on this fragrance and decided to purchase it and to be honest i was so excited to receive it, i waited one week the minute i sprayed it on my skin it was not for me it smells like church and indian spices or inncents.... i know we all have diff tastes but honestly if you are not sure about dont buy it online go to the store and do a sniff test... and my boyfriend wasent running after me he was running away...hahaha iam serious......

ps: i also bought the ap matrisse its much better but it also smells like gasoline ill be using them as bathrooms sprays...

movs
movs

This is what a Bond babe in the early 007 movies would be wearing along with black negligee, backcomb hair and fake eyelashes. I would almost call it a luxurious boudoir scent.

Agent Provocateur opens with a blast of spicy saffron. The saffron calms down a bit as the rose note is unfolded and the scent becomes more floral and musky with animalistic undertones. It settles to a powdery spicy rose scent. It has a lovely sillage but I disagree with those who would call this scent a sillage monster.

This extremely feminine perfume is sexy and innocent at the same time. I don't think it's the scent of the aggressive maneater type, it's more for the woman who really enjoys being a woman and who loves men acting chivalrous towards her.

In 3 words: SEXY - POWDERY - SAFFRON

sofababe

This rose has been up all night, smoking and drinking before staggering home as the sun comes up, loving every moment and looking forward to the next time!! Love it!

nannaje
nannaje

This smelled like fresh linens in an old, dusty attic to me. I am thinking about buying it, though. It’s special :)

jellybeantree

Decodawn I have to agree with you, on my skin it gets very musty and old school, very unpleasant! I even bought it blindly, big mistake! I ended up giving it to my friend , smelled sexy deep and rich on her! I don't know why it was a mess on my skin. Ahhh the mystery of perfumes!

mandashell
mandashell

WOW! And to think some consider this perfume to be light..?! O.O AP is an incredibly strong SKANKY floral musk! But I like it, lol. I have yet to smell anything else like it but I usually don't go for this type of scent. Have only tested it on a couple of occasions and haven't had the gumption to wear it out anywhere.

To be completely honest, the only time I could see myself wearing this is if I was on the prowl and looking for some action. It just has this incredibly, feminine, floral and sexual vibe!!! :D The opening notes nearly took out my sinuses but it was not until it settled for about an hour that I experienced the beauty in it.

Something about it just smells nostalgic. I'm thinking of an old school Hollywood vixen or even the madame or women in a brothel during the early 1900's. Strong rose scented soaps, powder puffs, musk, sweat etc. It's not something I could ever see being a signature in my small collection but it has to be experienced at least once. :D

The lasting power is incredible, giving me at least 10hrs along with an exceptional sillage. All I know is that those wearing this definitely mean business. Agent Provacateur is daring, unique, strong and demands attention. So, if you are out on the prowl then just spray a squirt or two and let the hunt begin!!! :D

paiged98@gmail.com

I have been wearing this for the past few days and the more I wear it, the more I love it. It is harsh and disturbing the first 5 minutes. On my skin it seems to change. I see the undertones and resemblance to Corriander but this has a few more tricks and dimensions to it. The rose in it is noticeable but in a soft understated way, in other words not the first thing you smell but the finishing touch. This is definitely a chypre based scent and the rose and saffron combination must be what makes this end up with such a unique blend. I am enjoying the mood this creates and can envision having this be part of my collection for a very long time. Is it bold? Yes. Is it going to be adored by the masses? No. Does that even matter? No. If you give it the proper time it will become something you must have. Very unique and off the beaten path...that's a good thing

jubrown
jubrown

each to their own but this fragrance is super seductive...very classy and in a league of its own. Love it to death, I get compliments everytime I wear it from both sexes!!!

This fragrance is one on the difficult side of wearing perfume for me. My "egg" is still quite full. I bought a small 30ml bottle and I'm lucky I did so,because AP is one of my less used perfumes.
First encounter was a shock. Dirty is dirty, sweat mixed with floral perfume. Then suddenly I found it attractive, then again dirty and even boring!
I received compliments when I wore this, especially from women, but for me it's not a scent I like to have around myself any day. I need to be in a good mood for it, especially in winter to go out.

mymlan
mymlan

Some fragrances have a beautiful and well distinguished bone structure of top, heart and base. Those are my favourites. Some other fragrances uses the topnotes as a space just to fill the fragrance with all the essential notes they need to create it, hoping it to become a masterpiece. Agent Provocateur is that kind of fragrance.

The start is very buzy and strong from various woods and spices. Today I can take strong scents, but this take off is a bit too overpowering. I dont find it interesting, only a bit offensive to my nose.

It takes quite a time for it to settle, but when it does a beautiful rose unfolds. And the more time that passes the better it gets. When the violent spices and woods tunes down and the sensual notes of musk and amber enters the scene Agent Provocateur becomes the stunning rose fragrance I was hoping for.

It's a quality fragrance, the projection is beautiful and it stays and developes on your skin for many hours. If it wasn't for the messy almost unbearable start I would truly love it. I will surley give it some more time, but so far it's a fragrance I like, not love.

sofababe

Spicy at first but soon the rose takes over, and WOW, how it takes over!!
Agent Provocateur is rose all the way. I wouldn't call it provocative however, or even particularly sexy, but its very very lovely.

Blessed
Blessed

Antique perfumeو from the time of1001 nights tales.
A source of comfort and psychological stability and removes tension

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Love the name of this series...but did not love the fragrance. On my skin the opening was harsh and brash, a mish-mash of strong "cheap perfume" scents. The dry-down became fairly delicate fairly quickly, but faded into a strange floral mix..

angelsai
angelsai

Tried this one today after reading all the positive reviews. I have to say that it really reminded of me Turkish delight for some reason! Maybe because it smells strongly of roses... A dirty, exotic rose to be exact.

But, after initially having a mixed opinion about this fragrance, the dry down was gorgeous! I loved the softer vintage smelling rose and the powdery smells that follow it, rather than the overpowering floral first spritz. And to those wondering, yes I detected the naughty note. Definitely a sexy fragrance, but you will either love or hate this scent.

almond-papaya
almond-papaya

Nice bottle but the scent leaves alot to be desired! I just use it as decor now and maybe spray abit as an air freshener - would not wear it on myself again. Smells like laundry cleaner. synthetic and over priced for what it is ! dissapointed I was expecting something sexy :(

Emerald523
Emerald523

I LOVE IT! The first spray is rather harsh, but when it dries down it is heaven! I have Strip and Maitresse, but AP is my favorite! The scent lasts forever. This one is a keeper, and may become my signature scent.

fumehead
fumehead

Wow this is provocative like the name suggests, I don’t like this but I can see why people swoon over it. Sexy? Why not! It doesn’t turn me on; the rose/saffron/magnolia /musk is a pungent and hard mix that is initially quite difficult to take all in, it is a perfume that garners extreme reactions LOVE-HATE, as for me - I do find myself sneaking a spray now and then as I pass it in Debenhams (big U.K retailer) as I revel in the quirky and misunderstood, but it’s never going to be a full bottle! This is more leather whips and S&M fetishism than lingerie & bare fleshed sensuality, it is a sort of caricature old school 1940/1950's sexuality.

Zwiebel
Zwiebel

I didn't really care for AP when I first got it, as a blind buy. The scent was ok, I had bought it based on reviews, but I didn't wear it that often and when I did, with plenty of rose scented body mist. But recently I've been reaching for AP on its own more. (in particular when I was putting together an outfit for a day visiting museums, as Oscar Wilde said: "One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" - I thought this was artsy, like a statement fragrance) I can see why it might not appeal to everyone; it's strong, intense and bold - unlike many of the popular scents these days. To me it smells like a lush spicy/dirty rose. I don't think of AP as erotic or sexy - provocative and beautiful, yes.

wildivy
wildivy

I smelled this today and I have to agree this is horrible! It stinks and I don't see why some people love this, but each to their own I guess...lol

cdz28
cdz28

I honestly don't see what's all the fuss with this fragrance. I absolutely hate it. There's something old ladyish in this fragrance....maybe the magnolia. I would never waste good money on this.

tiffanykimwagner
tiffanykimwagner

This is the first fragrance that I remember being absolutely CRAZY about when I was younger. I had a small sample of it and saved it for special occasions only. I never got the chance to purchase a bottle, and since then I have discovered other scents that are much better than this...

karisma2011
karisma2011

Quite like it, although not my cuppa tea, as it is very powdery. Lasts for hours and if you dont spray it carefully it could be another headache-inducing fragrance.

kristina27
kristina27

The name says it all!!It starts with a bang and then gets all soft.sexy and powdery.This is my go to night out sexy fragrance that has great staying power.I also like its younger sistre.Not quite as strong more soften ,sexy and a tease.LOVE

xstitchalanna
xstitchalanna

This fragrance is really different. Not everyone is going to like it. At first it starts out spicy and I am not to fond of it. Then it fades out into smelling like roses. I sprayed this on 12 hours ago and I can still smell it and I just took a shower! Thats how long lasting it is. This is a serious fragrance, not for everyone. To me it doesn't smell sexy as much as old fashioned, like classical music and ballet. Very womanly, very pretty, and very complex. I love this fragrance! I love roses so I don't mind smelling like one all day long. :) This perfume doesn't just say "woman" It shouts it from the rooftops!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is unique. The first thing I thought when smelled this was that it was a women's Old Spice, and I mean that as a compliment. Nice and spicy, with a haunting jasmine and musk. This is old fashioned sexy - garters and red lipstick, for when Shalimar was considered scandalous. You have to be brave to wear this.

anna.023
anna.023

I recived this one today, it was a blind buy since it's not sold were I live. I have just one thing to say, DONT BUY THIS BLIND!! Smell it first. I have never smelled anything like this one, it's most defentley a unik scent. Sadly I thought it was HORRIBLE!! Awful, strong and waaaay too spicy! Smelled like old indian food. I dont understand how anyone can refer to this perfume as sexy? Maybe it just didnt suit me.. The other girls at my work kind of liked it(or they didn't wanted to tell me that I smelled awful) anyway, this is going far away from my shelf!! FAST!!

bb3706
bb3706

The more i wear this, the more i like it. It wasn't love at first sniff, in fact it smelt a little like window cleaner when i first tried it. That passed quickly though and then it became very masculine smelling. I actually thought if i met a man wearing this, he better watch out because i'd be all over him. :)
Then the rose came out, the gardenia too is fairly strong on me. No longer a heavenly man smell but a nice feminine scent. Is it sexy on me? Not sure yet but it is different and i like that.

atiet97
atiet97

A pink feminine grenade! That’s what might the concept behind this perfume. A subtle bomb to threw at the opposite sex, like a tear gas it’s a perfect tool to bend them head over heels for you, sex in the bottle, the most seductive and provocative perfume and bla bla bla.. Well screw that!! It’s overrated!! To me it smells classic and rich but still…there is no way it smells unique ‘coz I’m very sure I’ve smelt this aroma before.

AP opens up strong and bold. The punch is provocative, yet the juice is rosy and I think that’s quite contrary to the sexual connotation it bears. Rose is mostly associated with feminine or elegant gestures, not sexy and sultry. However, to boost up the sexy exotic feel, AP selected unique compositions like Indian saffron, Russian coriander, Egyptian Jasmine and Vetiver from Haiti, but again… all I got is rose. Strong dominant rose, from the beginning till the end. Cloying for the first 10 minutes and then settles down softly. It successfully fooled me for thinking that this perfume would offer great silage and longevity since it’s quite promising in the beginning! Yet, it only stays for 2 hours.

What’s unique about this fragrance is although it's all about rose, rose and rose, I also know that this isn’t a soliflore perfume. Other aromatic ingredients blended so well and smooth so that I couldn't detect any other significant notes. It works like a solid team where all elements are supporting and crowning the rose to be the jewel of this perfume. Lots have said that this is a love or hate perfume. As a non-rosy fan, I know for sure where I stand.

Singabera
Singabera

It's very special perfume, you should wear it for some time to understand for sure. It could be extremely sexy or very intelligent, depending on the women wears it... Sometime it reminds me Narciso or Perles de lalique, they do have the same character.
For me it's a masterpiece...

mystica

Does Agent Provocateur smell sexy?

- To me, and on me, yes, terribly.
- On other women from the perspective of a woman, no not indeed, rather heavy and cloying.
- According to men, I dunno, it stays a mystery. I actually made my boyfriend smell this to have his opinion, and he found it distinctive though not particularly sexy. --So far no one has chased after me on the street (!), or asked what I was wearing.

Does Agent Provocateur make you feel special?

- Yes, it really is a different kind of stuff. It smells boudoir, dark, dirty, quality and luxurious, and it perfectly mirrors the philosophy or the concept of the brand (AP) as I perceive it.

Denoula
Denoula

I agree there seems to be some geranium in this. I'd used some geranium aromatherapy lotion and was wondering what perfume to use. It had to be AP and I was right; they go very well together. Very nice, in fact that was probably what first drew me to this fragrance.

lara0905

Unfortunately this perfum on my skin is a terrible mess, I just wanted to scrub it off..but I have to say the staying power is very great, it's stayed on my wrist after a day!!I think that's the worst perfum what I've ever smelled.:(

isabella211
isabella211

if you can push pass the initial spray and give it 2 minutes, you'll find it's a very beautiful and sexy fragrance. not sexy in the sweet smelling way, but like in a french boudoir sort of way. i spray all my lingerie with this. very french. very provocative.

Edit, years later:
you know what I wanna do when I wear this? I wanna drink bourbon in expensive lingerie, draped in an open silk kimono, with cat eyeliner, pin waves (but in the loose modern way) in my hair and rose red on my lips...and probably smoke out of those pretty long cigarette pipes sirens used to use, back when the world was right. This is ART-deco in a bottle and the drydown of Amber will make you want to drop your own pants. Only the sexiest of women can pull this off, the confident kind that aren't afraid to wear emerald green velvet and black lace. Hail to this magical era bottled in a pink ceramic egg. How I love to lose myself in that world. A true icon.

maraika
maraika

This fragrance really surprised me! I was expecting something pink, sexy and provokative in a bottle like this. When i sprayed it on paper - it's awful - sharp, masculine, there was not even one note, that could hold my attention, so i just left the paper at the shop. Annoying scent to me.

leonora84
leonora84

Now this is a 'Wow!'-scent to me and on me. I've never tought that I'll be a fan of chypres ever -this fragrance is definately one of these, not a real floral woody musk at all-, but it happened after using AP original for a while. AP is like honeyed musky rose on me, but, because of the typical chypre-ness, it stays cool, almost minty-breezy sweet. I don't know if it's sexy...I think it rather smells like an improved me, even if I don't smell naturally so rosy and cool, of course. AP has a great longevity and moderate sillage on me. The people around me seem to smell it only if they are close enough, and I think that it's a great thing, because I tend to overapply with all of my scents. I don't think that it could smell skanky if sprayed on shower clean skin. It is rather sophisticated and classic but in a good way. Cedar makes it contemporary. I've read that it is similar to NR for Her EDT, and I tested that one too. I must say, that yes, they resemble to eachother, but AP is rather honeyed and feminine and a nice, green, but deep skin-scent, while NR EDT is a bit sour and almost too woody, with less friendly base-notes, while nice as well. Maybe one day, I'll buy NR too.

Louw
Louw

This has become my absolute favourite fragrance over time. As someone said earlier, it IS sex in a bottle! Definitely not a perfume for anyone who doesn't like to be noticed - it's distinctive and noticeable and dirty (in a good way!) Floral, musky, a little bit spicy and little bit woodsy, it's just as distinctive when it dries down as when you first apply it and it's very long lasting. Makes me feel confident and sexy and I love it!

Vamy69
Vamy69

This perfume is unlike anything I have ever tried before. At first it is so sharp with the saffron it almost makes you want to run into another room and hide from it, but after it dries down it becomes fabulous. I have to admit at first try I really did not like this fragrance but after several more attempts it actually grew on me and now I love it. I have never really been a fan of rose scents but this is different. I can see why people have a love/hate relationship with this perfume. It is an acquired taste in my opinion. Men seem to really love it, my hubby smelled my wrists and lit up like a Christmas tree and said "mmmmmmm I love that it smells so sexy!" I am now going to try the other AP fragrances.

Woodfaery
Woodfaery

Woo-hoo!! This unusual scent is definitely sex in a bottle. Clean sex...
I love the way it unfolds on my skin and I can't stop smelling my wrists. It lasts for hours and hours and seems to get sexier as time goes by. Love it!!!

Liina
Liina

Agent Povovateur is definitely the most seductive and provoctive scent I have ever smelled. I'd want to wear this if I was up to no good but still would want to maintain my most sexual femininity. Sure I'd get attention because of it and sure I'd love it.
Agent Provocateur is absolutely brilliant and more than just a perfume.

Jordan20
Jordan20

Of all my friends I am the only person who likes this fragrance. I find it quite interesting because its supposed to be this sexy, seductive.."come grab me and have your way with me" sort of fragrance but when i smell it, it smells like an old lady...and I dont say that in an offensive or rude way but i think thats the naughtiness of the fragrance. Old ladies with suspender stockings and heels re-living their youth through a fragrance based on sexual chemistry. I mean i could be wrong but this fragrance garners thousands of interpretations. I like the heaviness of the fragrance, the musk hits me and for me its the musk and the gardenia that are always present. They live out the entire process of the fragrance's almost woody bitterness into its transition of being sweet but very woody and the cedar compliments it well. I wouldnt recommend Agent Provocateur to anyone, but i would definetly recommend going out there and smelling it and seeing what you think

orchidlover
orchidlover

I love this scent so much!
This is sharper than SJP Lovely and not so woody, but I love both.
I love this sharpness of AP.
This AP is my first scent from this house but not the last I'm sure.
I think it is so elegant inside and outside too, it has incredible lasting power, lasts the whole day!
I don't find it dirty smelling at all. It is innocent but characteristic on my skin, I wear it on weekdays like an every day scent.
I agree that this scent is not for everyone, young ladies won't like it, but it smells like the matured elegance for up to 25 years old people.

truffles

Hahahaha! Been reading thru the reviews that have gone on since mine. Hilarious! This perfume certainly elicits a lot of strong reactions.
It's so weird, so many people mention 'skank', 'dirt', 'muck', 'sex', 'sweaty/B.O.' etc. etc. etc.
I don't get ANY of that!!!
Someone mentioned clove, now to me clove is actually a really dirty, as in horrible dirty, smell. I think I'd rather smell poo than clove, seriously! And I detect no clove in this frag. I don't get spicy at all from AP but maybe I have a strange definition of spice - spice to me is clove, cinnamon, nutmeg.
Someone else said Opium is a classy courtesan and AP is a $20 an hour hooker or something. How funny, I see those two perfumes as exactly the opposite way round to that!
Just sayin... it's all in the nose of the beholder!
(I got hold of a darling little 6ml mini pink bottle of AP recently, after getting through a bigger bottle previously and being without it for a while. I love it!)
xx

veeta
veeta

at first sniff,i didn't like it at all..then i tried to dab a little on one of my wrist and i sniffed it again but still didn't like it..but 30 minutes later it smelled like baby talcum powder !!!
it's weird but i like it...

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

My first thought after dabbing my EdP sample was, “Wow! This really smells like an old-fashioned perfume!” I mean that in the best of all possible ways. It’s strong, spicy, peppery, and sharp. It’s loaded to bursting with patchouli, which is rapidly joined by dark red roses.

It’s a dry, spicy rose-scented floral that knows exactly what it wants to say and says it point-blank. Take it or leave it. I believe there’s some geranium in the mix, either on its own or as part of the rose accord, giving it that sharp, golden note that results when geranium combines with patchouli. It’s a note that’s found in some vintage perfumes, both men’s and women’s, but is currently out of fashion, undoubtedly leading to the many complaints by other reviewers of “old lady smell”. There’s a tiny hint of soapiness, but not enough to be off-putting.

If there’s saffron in the mix, it’s hidden under the other spices, primarily cardamom and possibly clove. Saffron is a subtle note, and subtlety is not one of AP’s characteristics. I am at a loss to understand why so many reviewers perceive AP as skanky and “cheap”. I suppose it’s just the power of suggestion, through advertising and peer influence, since there seems to be no civet or any other skanky material in the composition, and it does not smell like the manufacturer skimped on materials.

After wearing AP, I realize that less is more, and dabbing it on both wrists was overkill. Just the tiniest drop in an out-of-the way spot would be enough to provide the right level of scent. If you like spicy, sharp vintage perfumes, then AP could be just the cheap thrill you’re looking for.

melia
melia

A woody rose (I smell patchouly!). Not warm, nor sweet. It starts very clear, and gets clean and dirty at the same time. It reminds me of midnigt aoud from juliette has a gun (which is also a clean-dirty, an aoud-rose). I understand how some would feel very sexy wearing this. But I had expected something warmer, on my skin this comes out very cold, which does not make things sexy for me. There is still something 'cute' smelling underneath it, but I don't think there are very much men who would like this. Maybe it's a chemistry thing, so try before you buy, I'm glad I did anyway.

ednafrau
ednafrau

i had great expectations, but after finally trying it, i am extremely disappointed with this perfume. it is musty potpurri with a hint of pee, which later dissipates a bit. though a couple of hours after applied it gets a little better, it is still akin to the smell of a room locked away long ago. coming from someone who enjoys many vintage fragrances, agent provocateur smells OLD and not at all sexy...in fact, my boyfriend would not touch me with a ten foot pole if i wore this! i'm genuinely curious about the men who find this attractive.

Saintkitty
Saintkitty

In the beginning scent is very-very mucky with lil bit flowers. It's very similar to Coriander, but Agent is more aromatic and without adelhydes soapiness. They got a lot in common in their drydown, when there are some spices on skin. Agent is not very natural perfume. It has defined target – shoot to kill! Agent made me loose my mind. Now I know why it's a Provocateur! Dangerous pink grenade full of muck!

Just when you spray this one on your skin its sharp - but softens rather quickly into a warm, sexy and sensual scent. Stays close to the person who wears it - next person have to come in close to feel this wonderful scent. A winner! I have the EdP-version and I adore it! I also have Eau emotionelle - another winner from A.P.

Toppnoten tycker jag är skarp men den mjuknar ner till en härligt mustig, sensuell och sexig doft. Denna doften stannar nära den som bär den så nästa person måste stå ganska nära för att känna den - DET gillar jag med parfymer. Jag har EdP-versionen och jag har även A.P Eau Emotionelle - en vinnare, det oxå!

ContessaAlessandra
ContessaAlessandra

I ADORE this perfume! I've never loved a perfume this much and I think it's a wonderful and intoxicating fragrance.

I had no idea that so many people find it awful, I know its very heavy but still.. To me it's perfect: powedery, quirky and feminine.

Men seem to love it.. I know that a lot of guys I know become crazy when I wear it. They sit close to me and can't stop sniffing my neck

Eleiria
Eleiria

Well, this is not what I expected it to be, since Agent Provocateur has a deadly sexy image in our minds, one thinks any perfume it produces should be sexy in a very warm, dark and mysterious way. But Agent Provocateur is sexy in its own way -natural, light-hearted, delicate like flowers. I liked it a lot because it's not screaming, it's soft and wrapping. Not powdery at all to me. Nice.

mford89
mford89

Maybe I am a skank, but I love this scent. Not too sweet, not too manish. If you like a frangrance that is beyond the normal "I'm a little girl dancing in a world of pink flowers", then you will like Agent Provocateur!

BellaCoconut
BellaCoconut

I was given a bottle of this as a gift, but I couldn't stand to wear it, it was just too powdery and gave me a headache! I gave it to my sister, who loved it, and is more of a glam vintage girl than I :) I did find it a shame as it seems to tick all the usual boxes for me- sexy, woody, provocative, a bit dirty...but just not me.

larali
larali

I tested this yesterday. Really like it, but in SMALL amounts. Too much and it smells like grandma's closet. A little bit is absolutely divine. After a couple of hours of wearing it, it turned muskier on me, which didn't jive with the hamburgers I was eating. This is not a casual perfume. My impression is elegant, smooth and clean. I didn't find it terribly dirty.

Printeza7
Printeza7

Very strong and mature perfume,I had a bottle and i gave it to my mum ( not sure if she likes it ).

There is no Provocation in this perfum, in fact there is plenty of Rejection.

Sorry,but is very strong, very old and very unattracive scent.

Not for me this one :-(

Arrogant_Cat
Arrogant_Cat

I own Maitresse which I like so I was very excited to try another Agent. I tried it in a store yesterday and Im glad I have never bought it unsniffed. This is not a good one on my skin. Someone has already said it smells like blood and I agree with that, this scent has an irony note and its very dominant on my skin. Sadly I couldnt wait to wash it off my wrist. :(

yaya5
yaya5

I've smelt this many times before, and in each case I've wished there was a window where I could stick my head out for some relief. It is disgusting.
It's not sweet at all,and the pink bottle is misleading because it isnt a "pink" scent (insolence,hugo boss femme,lactose joy of pink etc...)but the name "agent provacateur" is very accurate because it is definitely not subtle or safe.
The smell to me is not just a musky trace of dirty (which I get from Narciso Rodriguez) it's a loud,dominant masculine, old fashioned cologne-like DIRTY. I also get dirty/wet socks that have dried, bitterness, and male deoderant smells. I usually adore saffron and jasmine but... not this time, I can't smell a trace of any flowers.

miss_pink
miss_pink

Agent Provocateur

Today, is the day after I wrote my “review” on Agent Provocateur’s Maîtresse. My mood remains pretty much unaltered, meaning I am still feeling quite European and conceptual. The good news is for myself: I have complemented my attitude with a 1960s French existentialist fashion and beauty look. The bad news is for the rest of you: you are about to read another long story about an Agent Provocateur fragrance.

I am at work, at lunch break, bored and with little to do. In spite of having spent long hours before my lap top’s screen, I decided to take some minutes to tell you my story with Agent Provocateur’s original scent, and maybe clear my head in the process.

It was about a month ago, that, very urgently, I needed to complete some paperwork on a government’s agency. It was Wednesday, and the arrangements could not be delayed, not even for a day. So, it was with a less that positive attitude, that I left my home at a very early hour on a cloudy and chilly morning.

I must admit my mood was not the best on that occasion, and the weather certainly did not help. Sometimes, when I need to feel a little better, I look for my perfume collection. The right scent always has the power to revitalize me.

That day I chose Agent Provocateur. My choice was the best one I could have made; even when I had not fully realized it yet. My mood did improve a little during the time I spent on the taxi; but I still had to discover the real power of Agent Provocateur.

I discovered it a little after I went into the general office where I had to arrange my things. I must tell you first, that I know some people who work there, and they all agree that their workplace is highly known for the males that work there.

Now, you are probably imagining they are all undiscovered male models. I must disappoint you, but it is nothing of the sort. They are civil servants of the typical kind, except that they have a rather marked habit. Each time they see a young woman they do not know walking around their office, racy comments and whistles are impossible to stop. Not that I would be deterred by those stories, they never have that effect on me; and I certainly did not think about them when I sprayed Agent Provocateur earlier that morning.

Going back to my solo parade among all the offices and desks at that place, I did not have a very clear idea about where to go to; but that did not turn out to be a problem. Practically every single one of the numerous male employees I found on my way seemed very interested in orientating and advising me.

I am not going to complain about their attitude: they were always quite polite, and some of them even a little formal. What I want to do is to remark the fact that they were all male: not a single woman approached me or talked to me; even when lots of them work there too.

Anyway, they lady I was supposed to meet was not at her desk at the early hour I arrived, so I had to wait for her. Thanks to Agent Provocateur, my waiting was not long. It turns out that this lady’s boss is a middle aged man. The very first moment he saw me, he approached me and offered me his help. It was then when he introduced himself and explained me he ran the human resources department and was that lady’s boss. At least I did not have to wait for that not so punctual lady. We arranged the business I needed. Not very speedily, I must add; but at least it was finally solved.

Days later, I met some of my contacts who work there. Apparently, my visit had been the gossip of the day among their colleagues. Even the director of the human resource department remembered me (something not so easy, since he meets dozens of people each day at his job). He made some comments about the excellent first impression I had caused on him. He only mentioned that I looked like a very professional and well-educated young lady. However, I am also sure he was thinking about my low top and the many spritzes of Agent Provocateur I was wearing. Because of his job, he takes the ultimate decision on whom to hire and for which position; and with one single visit I made him (which lasted no longer than fifteen minutes) I had got a position on the trainee program, complete with a salary and other corporate perks.

His offer was quite serious, and he even proposed it personally. Right now, I am a little busy with a different project and have not decided whether to accept it or not. However, there are two lessons that this experience has taught me and that I will never forget. First, the invisible aura you carry with yourself is the first thing that attracts people to you and keeps them close, in my case, it was Agent Provocateur. And second, Agent Provocateur seem to attract all kinds of men: from the guy working at the parking lot to middle managers and high level executives, and it inclines them to act as gentlemen (at least while they are next to the woman wearing that irresistible and unknown fragrance).

P.S. A day or two after my journey, I went online and purchased a new full-size bottle of Agent Provocateur. My first one was not over yet, but who would want to run out of a scent that makes every man you encounter find you desirable and make an effort to get close to you?

My first encounter with this perfume was awful as said before. Then I re-tested and I found it interesting and sexy, but it depends what sexy is IYO. I bought a small bottle of Agent Provocateur last winter. I liked it but felt too self-conscious wearing it.
I left it closed for many months, then I opened it and worn again and I must say that I like it and feel good in it.
It's very spicy and rosey, almost musky dirty. Particularly with this scent, different people (and noses) smell different fragrance. Someone calls it "fresh and clean rose-violets" (what???), some others call it dirty-luscious-sexual. Women like it much more than men. I spray only twice for going out at night. I like that it is longlasting but I don't like the way it clings to fabrics! It makes impossible to wear other fragrances on the same dress!
Now that I made peace with the fragrance I can appreciate the cute bottle too.

TankGirl
TankGirl

Snifsnif I wanted this fragrance so much but it smells so disgusting!
How can anyone say this is sexy? Its smells like my grandmothers carpet...
Beyond beeing really strong, but in a cloying, headaching way. The roses and the musk are mixed in a way so oldfashioned and powdery. I love the lingerie of this brand, I think they are so damn good reinventing the classic lingerie, but this frangrance for me its a total vomit :( Oh and Im not only talking about the first 5 minutes, I sprayed myself with this on the store in the morning and its already 6pm and I just want to go home and scrub this off!
At least...it last for hours (of pain) ;)

guest_moi
guest_moi

I smell powdery roses with a new-doll note, spicy middle reminiscing of Knowing by Estee Lauder (although much softer) and a nice "comfy" drydown. Indeed very retro and feminine. Think powder puff. :) It's not as nearly sexy/rich/potent as suggested by the adverts. But when is it ever? Nice although I prefer Maitresse over this one, but that of course is only a matter of personal taste. But if you do like this then do try EL Knowing for richer spice and Ginger by LUSH for more retro powdery roses.

beauty_girl
beauty_girl

At first it smells just like a hard soap,to strong, then it settels down to a bit sweeter smell,but it ends up to smell like a soap anyway on me so i dont like it.Maybe it smells good on an older woman, not on me who is 24.

Blonde Gypsy
Blonde Gypsy

A unique vintage scent. I find Im drawn to it when im dressed up and wearing the red lipstick. It fits with the pinup era and yet i think voluptous women with style in the 1800s. I did wear it to work...it was too much for me. But when Im feeling a bit erotic its just right...

elusivek
elusivek

I am one of the people that gets the metallic note. Iron in fact, and to be even more specific, it smells like blood to me. Part of me is repulsed by this and part of me is intrigued because it's kind of primal and really makes me wonder how people will react to it on me.

I'm undecided at this point, will update with reactions.

hantafromsanta
hantafromsanta

This was a blind purchase and as I received my mini EdP spray after reading tons of reviews I was prepared that I might hate it. However I instantly fell in love. I don't even find the top notes overwhelming, then it quickly dries down to this heavy, vintage, dirty rose.

It's cool how generally comments on this range from 'extremely sexy' to 'vulgar' to 'my grandma'd wear this'.. haha, so this definitely has a lot to offer! ^^
I really wonder how we'd overall describe it if this wasn't marketed by a lingerie brand and with this name &description!

Imo it's sexy but in a vintage and not too blatant kind of way. I guess with the mossy rose in here, that can surely pull it in the grandma direction for some, it leaves a ladylike impression to me, though this lady would probably be unconventional and with plenty of edgy style. And yes, provocative, but not at all in the eff me kind of way.

I like the elegant and timeless way in which AP stages sexyness and provocation with this!
Also along with Lady Vengeance this is my favorite rose perfume by far and the intensity and lasting power are wonderfully strong, so it's cost-effective on top of all.
I love it and have bought a bigger bottle already.

ineverwas
ineverwas

I've just received a small bottle of this and I've sprayed it on my wrist a few hours ago.

Hour 1: Wow, I don't even know what to make of it right now. I'm completely blown away, confused, shocked. I have a strong feeling about it but have yet to discern what it means. It's surely a prominent scent, very bold and assertive, on the verge of being downright aggressive. Extremely musky, it makes you think of natural body odor combined with perfume. However, body odor is not necessarily a repulsive smell - depending on its strength, it can also be inviting, it can be intimate, cozy and arousing as long as it's tempered.

Hour 2: This is somewhere in the middle. It's edgy and ambivalent. It’s a stranger with unconventional features and a strong personality that you might fall in love with against your will or your standards. Or you might come to hate him, to protect yourself from his magnetism and the attraction of what people call ugliness when in fact it's a matter of perspective. It's a challenge to love it but once you do, it gives you more pleasure than anything pretty and safe, because unlike all the popular candidates, this one you feel will be only yours.

Hour 4: Agent Provocateur smells like body odor I could love, if I have enough time to get to be comfortable with it, to know it and learn to wear and appreciate it for the remarkable character and personality it bears. This is the scent of a very private relationship, a deep intimacy that goes beyond any social masks and appearances and that may become entangled in you, a part of you.

Hour 7: I'm going to bed with this one. Hopefully, it will still be there on my wrist when I wake up.

efm
efm

I have tried / tested / played with the Eau De Toilette and quite liked it.
This week I purchased the Parfum and I LOVE IT.

The smoky, eathiness that was a fleeting glimpse in the EDT is fully loaded in the Parfum.

It lasts 12 -18 hrs on the skin.

I have been looking for something like this for ages.

AGENT PROVOCATEUR opens with a truly confusing and cacophonous collection of very synthetic--verging on industrial--notes. I had no idea what to expect, but the bottle certainly suggested something a bit more inviting.

However, after a few minutes, this concentrated edp develops into an extremely well-behaved old school dried roses chypre. Fortunately the drydown lasts a long time, perhaps even long enough to compensate for the jarring opening, but I am not at all surprised by the large number of negative reviews, some of which may well have been based upon the first few minutes, after which many a perfumista would feel justified in dashing to the bath for a scrub. That measure would be precipitous for some, provided that they have a predilection for dried flower chypres!

Only the opening of AGENT PROVOCATEUR is a floral woody musk, with the emphasis on that latter term. For the rest of its life, AP really is a chypre, which probably explains the "old lady" allegations interspersed among the "rusty nails" and "dirty underwear"! A provocative composition, indeed.

sjstewart
sjstewart

Definitely caught off-guard on the first trial by the "sharp" front end which smelled a bit like hairspray to me and then like maple syrup. This phase passes fairly quickly, however. It is NOT a scent for the faint of heart or incurably romantic. This is a very DIRECT scent, but I wouldn't call it "dirty". To me it evokes raw confidence and sexuality, or knowing one's own power and worth, as an earlier poster alluded. It seems to last a little longer on my skin than the Maitresse. Interestingly, just going outside in the humidity the other night to put some items in the recycle bin *completely* changed the scent of AP, moving away from the sharpness and developing the florals underneath. I tried it again this morning, figuring that it needed a day-long trial to see how it really evolves on my skin. I am falling in love with it as the day progresses. It is *very* unusual, unlike any other scent that I own, but I can see myself getting attached to it - quickly.

lucyredshoes
lucyredshoes

On my skin this comes across as sharp rusty metal, iron or a bag of wet coins. And something dirty but not in a good way. In fact, I imagine if a bag of rusty nails were wrapped in twice worn underwear and placed into a wooden box that contained dried rose petals that had just begun to mold and turn due to moisture, the lid closed, the box shaken and then opened for a nice long whiff....this is what it would smell like. As another user stated I was surprised this didn't contain Aldehydes as is usually the case when a scent sours on me as this one has. For my chemistry this simply won't ever do.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Originally when I tried this I found it to be sweet and somewhat childlike. Today I retested and upon opening I find thick saffron strands encased in a cow pat like an insect in amber.

As it settles whatever indolic dirtiness it had dies and transforms into the chokingly dry sweet pink musk stick and barbie doll skin that I recalled from the first test.

I do like it, it has an old school nostalgic feel to it, yet to me it lacks any kind of sex appeal. The pink musk kind of makes it feel like it is making apologies for being the hussy it is portraying.

If you are looking for a truly shameless sex perfume along AG's lines, try Montale Aoud Queen Roses.

alinurse
alinurse

This is a fragrance not for the faint of heart. You cannot spray and love it hate it on the spot. A little goes a long way. You could overdo this one easily.

I is sexy and dries down to a feminine "Dirty" smell (in a good way)
What I mean by Dirty...Picture a woman who is dressed classic and has a allure of confidence. Underneath the suit is a garter with high end stockings, and beautiful bra & panties. She knows whats there. She owns herself.

When I want that feeling I were this. I find spraying and walking into it works best for me. It stays all day.

guest_beatrix-göteborg
guest_beatrix-göteborg

o noo no no its wonderful sexy light soft clean fragrance,i like it, its like the stella eau p womanly.love love

Anorton1965
Anorton1965

Received my sample today, tried it. First 20 minutes or so, I was really loving it. Then it got powdery, soapy smelling, like an older lady perfume, and very musky. Actually, I think it's the cedar I'm smelling. For some reason my skin reacts very strongly to cedar, making it be almost the only thing I can smell. It was not an unpleasant smell, just a little over powering for me. I read an earlier comment about it being like an after sex smell, I could definitely see (smell) that. LOL.

It's not a horrible frag, but it's not one I think I'm ready for at this point. It's a shame, it sounded so intriguing.

diamond9
diamond9

After a real wild beginning, which I didn't find very nice, a completely different world has opened its door to me... I was amazed... Like I fell directly into a basket full of freshly washed underwear, dried on a sunshine... There's nothing like this smell!
It brings the best in me, makes me gentle, tender and so kitten-like...

Cereza
Cereza

I have never called any fragrance "grandma like", but I must do that with this one. The thing is that this smells like my grandma alot. She used to go to Bulgaria a lot and bring back home bulgarian rose oil and in this one I can smell bulgarian rose, and that's the only thing I'm smelling. It's not sexy. My bf after smelling my wrist said - it's smells like a country side girl's who's sleeping three days in a hay, armpits. Well. Ok. I don't even smell the armpits, just the vile bulgarian rose which I remember from childhood as the scent that I hated the most, because of my grandma basically taking baths in it.

hollycat
hollycat

I dont get all the nasty, skanky notes that people comment about. This scent begins as a dry soapy rose scent with the faint smell of woods in the background. As it dries on my skin the rose note falls away and I get all the woody notes, with a bit of musk, and a tad bit of spices. The scent of the woods on my skin is soooo dry. I imagine a forest that has become so dry that just the stike of a match would ignite the worse of forest fires. Very dry. But very unique. I feel this scent works for me even in this heat. I think I could wear this everyday for any occasion in fact. Its not overpowering in anyway on me. Surprisingly easy to wear given all the negative reviews. This one youll either love or hate. So test before you buy.

gypsykitten
gypsykitten

I guess I had different expectations of a fragrance labeled as a "floral woody musk". On me, it smelled a bit more aldehyde-y. More specifically, on me it smelled like bug spray and vinyl. I had to double check it against a sample from another bottle... I love Strip so much and was very much looking forward to trying this out, but it just doesn't mix well with my chemistry at all. I would love to smell it on someone that it works well on. Perhaps then it is lovely.

diabolicalsister
diabolicalsister

Stale, musty, mildew odor- on my skin, on the tester card, on the nozzle (not just from my chemistry). Feminine sexuality doesn't come to mind at all. It's not even something I'd like a man to smell like. I put my wrist under my husband's nose and he wrinkled his face at it and had to ask me if that was really a perfume! Makes me imagine old, mildewed blankets, books, mothballs, decaying furniture, in a damp dark basement. What an odd one this is. Sure doesn't match the cute bottle.

Sheva
Sheva

This is my HG fragrance; it was love at first whiff but I can also understand people who hate it because body chemistry really plays a significant role with this one. I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped and asked what I'm wearing, it just works with me. From what I've seen, AP works with fair complexions better - this is just a thought though.

I will always have a soft spot for AP because it was also my wedding day fragrance, smelled divine with a silk shantung dress on.

lucianasalem
lucianasalem

Sexy?!!!!If I were a man and feel the smell of a woman, sure to have them take a bath! It has a horrible smell of old musty, or rather smell the clothes stored. Terrible! I love Maitresse, but this...

misscareyann
misscareyann

I tested this in an Agent Provocateur store, and the fragrance fits the boutique to a 'T'.

Imagine an old burlesque hall,women performing strip teases in pin curls and feather boas. These pin-up girls come to life give a naughty, but playful wink to the crowd. Cigarette girls weave through the audience, carrying thier trays full of contraband.

The first spray of this fragrance is VERY strong and spicy. Almost unbearable. You have to wait for the dry down to really appreciate it. The dry down is still very spicy and dirty. Dirty in that sexy kind of way. No sweet, innocent fruits here.

Not for the meek or anybody who wants to portray an innocent girl.
This fragrance is pure dirty, naughty confidence.

mandi
mandi

Agent Provocateur, to my nose, is the younger, less complicated version of Paestum Rose. The resemblance is uncanny, i recognised it the from the moment i applied AP and true enough i just checked and they have six(6) notes in common.
So for those of you who want Paestum Rose but maybe you are a little short on cash try Agent Provocateur

Lilian
Lilian

The saffron and coriander make for a really harsh opening, bordering on obnoxious. It is as if someone slapped me across the face with a bar of soap.
Eventually the spices give way and the roses start to bloom - these are Moroccan roses, blooming in the shade of a boudoir, where all the windows are closed behind curtains, and the curtains are heavy with the odors that the air of so many lustful nights can no longer retain all by itself. The soapiness and the musk persist throughout and are eventually joined by smoky vetiver.
... This woman doesn't smile. And she doesn't give either - she just takes. And she doesn't succumb to any one, for she has already, completely, utterly succumbed to desire.

Enchantia
Enchantia

Spicy, dark, seductive and sexy perfume. Most probably because of the Indian Saffron. I can't seem to smell the gardenia, jasmine or even the rose in this. Very strong staying power. Takes getting used to. Not an "everyday" perfume. More suitable for night use. I have a bottle which I hardly use because it's such a strong scent, not very suitable for the warm and humid climate which I live in. But one of these days if I feel like the devil-may-care, I may just use it.

nayab153

WOW...i sampled this for the first time the other day and i was shocked!

ive seen this on a number of dressing tables but i have no idea why!!

its So strong! its overbearing! i really cant think of any redeeming features! ive heard of musky perfumes but this is just something else!!

Verdict: B.O in a bottle!!

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I have a mini of this and have only tried it once. I want to try it again soon! I have to say that this is one of the dirtiest smelling perfumes I've ever tried. It smells like you haven't showered in a few days and then you try to cover it up with perfume. My sister and I smelled it and we started to laugh cause it smelled really naughty! It's got a lot going on at the same time spicy, powdery, floral. I don't find it sexy, but vulgar. To me wearing this is like you are trying too hard to be "sexy"! This is not very wearable IMO best suited for night time if anything. I would recommend trying it first.

panda0410
panda0410

This is *not* a "sexy" perfume and I feel there is a lot of advertising influence with this one. I really must agree with some of the reviews here that show it for its true colours - it an assertive old school soapy-rose based perfume with a smoky musky bottom and a hefty bit of spicy kick for good measure. Its the type of perfume I tend to associate with retro vintage glamour. For the unassuming, strongly assertive but very elegant women who can appreciate the formulation of a retro-by-design fragrance - and be able to pull it off.

Theres nothing sexy about it at all and I think it requires not only an acquired taste but also the right chemistry, this is not for everyone and baby if you dont have it - then you are plain out of luck!!

First impressions are overwhelming spice, I believe its the saffron which can be bitter and or vetiver - its pushy and overbearing almost immediately. It does dim down to a softer gentler and much more desirable soapy rose layer underneath, and there is something strangely attractive in that... I do keep going back to smell it, however the scent is more intriguing than it is truly likeable and that spiciness simply doesnt evaporate - it lingers to create a bittersweet harmony with softer sweeter rose base and I can see the sense in the mystery (or ambivilence) in that. The musk is right there, growing with wear and it envelopes the scent in a soft wafting caress - a stark contrast and nice balance to the perpetuating spicy kick in the perfume.

This has enormous longevity - 12+ hours at least, and the sillage is nice, its not a monster, but it wont creep away when you're not looking either.

I personally love this perfume, though I will admit that musky perfumes tend to settle beautifully on me, even if they arent wonders to begin with, the right chemistry makes whopping difference to wearability. This one is really not for the fainthearted - you better know what you want if you are going to wear this ;)

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

What a surprise from a lingerie company! Given the frilly panties and the girly pink bottle, it was not at all what I expected, and so different from the sweet fruity vanilla scents put out by Victoria's Secret, for example. AP has a definite old-fashioned "femme fatale" vibe to it.

Agent Provocateur is as close as you'll get to the vintage formula of Jean Couturier's Coriandre. I have a small bottle of that and did a side-by-side test. AP smells almost identical, with a touch of a burning cigarette aroma (which is not unpleasant in this scent and contributes to the scent's "femme fatale" vibe). However, my vintage Coriandre fades quickly, and AP lasts and lasts.

I would describe it as an old-school chypre scent rather than floral woody musk, but fans of both categories will likely appreciate it. I ended up purchasing the "DD" edition, which has a slight tweak in the formula that improves it somewhat. However, both versions are lovely and full-bottle-worthy.

karlee79
karlee79

tested this today and it is by far one of the worst old granny smelling perfumes I have EVER smelled in my life. I was so disappointed, because of all of these great reviews on here. Some said that it had a smokey note, well.....it sure didn't for me, it just smelled the same even over time, top middle and bottom all the same! an overbearing floral. Gross.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

It opens on me like some medicine mixture. But after 10-15 minutes it becomes more flowery-fruity spicy. An interesting one, but not my type of perfume.

Nicole79
Nicole79

OHhhh...so today i had the chance to test this fragrance, thanks to the generosity of Sofia...:)...and well...i was expecting something totaly diffrent from the reviews...something really strong, heavy, dusty and old i guess...
I'm not saing it is not strong though ;)
I dont't know, but as soon as a aplied it on my skin, reminded me of another perfume my mom used to weare when i was just a little girl, wich is Rochas, Eau du Rochas...which is much more "fresh" than AP( more powdery)...but so similar...to me...in the opening notes !
This one is Intresting, nice,spicy, classy and Retro.
It has this old powdery - soapy style to it , smells like a woman's beauty case : powder , lipstick , perfume ( roses ) , ciggarets ;)
Smells a like a "brothel"?!! No ...i don't think so ...LOL..
...But ...This is for a woman, not for a "girl" !
It is not similar to Narciso Rodrigues .

The dry down it's very smoky - incensy ...like cigaretts smell.
So... it is sexy , a bit *dirty *, yes , i admit it , but in a very attractive way ;).... this is for a night out, a Club, a Cabaret show...*
----------------
Now, after testing La Perla...i must say that AP and La perla are very similar...especialy in the dry down...so. if u like AP u should also try La perla ;)

NatWeb
NatWeb

Lady Muck referred to this scent as "dusky, sexy and sophisticated" and I couldn't agree more. It is very, very musky and powdery and incredibly strong. I think this fragrance totally reflects the Agent Provocateur brand and is reminiscent of an expensive boudoir. I really like it. It's unique, not for a light floral, fruity or green/aquatic scent lover and definitely NOT for a teenager or younger wearing. It's the kind of fragrance that takes guts to wear but if you can own it, it's magnificent and bold.

Anahi
Anahi

I dont really like it, i'm not very fond of indian jasmine, which is very dominant at the first spritz..and almost smells quite bitter. A very very sharp fragrance; definetly not for the light-hearted..It's definelty a striking/sexy/elegant fragrance and well suited to mature and confident women.

cherebitte
cherebitte

I've learnt to be pretty spartan with AP. More than a spritz and it'll enter the room about five minutes before you do and stay for a few hours after you leave. This bad boy is, to my nose, strong! I can't get away with more than a single spray of EDP otherwise I'd choke anyone within a 10metre radius.

However I have to say I really appreciate the lasting power on my skin. It makes a change to scents I wear that all but vanish after an hour or so.

The opening of AP is... a bit of a stinker. My personal perfume equivalent to the ugly duckling that turns into a swan. I have to admit that even now I get a kind of toilet detergent when I first spray but give her a chance- a mere ten minutes later and AP is a beauty in my eyes. Inviting, intriguing, distinctive and captivating to the last. I'm not terribly sure about sexy given the brand- for me AP perfume is less sexy than it is "WOMAN". AP is a grown woman sexy rather than your girl next door babe. It also seems to polarise a lot of opinion which works against desirability- if that is what you are going for. Of all the scents I wear this receives the most comment- from "Mmmmn" to "You smell like an old lady". So the jury's out en masse, not one I would recommend that people buy blind.

In three words: Potent, Commanding, Womanly.

sofiii
sofiii

Agent Provocateur is smoky, sexy(I can smell something reminds me of clean sweat) and musky(in a pleasant way). It starts with a strong nostalgic soapy scent and goes kinda nice and linear after the soapy start. It is really womanly to me. It reminds me Kate Moss' Velvet Hour and really similar to Cabaret by Gres.

This is definitely an interesting alternative sexy perfume for newbies to try on. However, I find this overrated too.

LadyMuck
LadyMuck

Love this scent. It's a dusky,sexy,sophisticated fragrance with no apologises. Not for the faint hearted or those who want warm floral.
It does pack a punch and lasts.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

This is both an overrated and interesting fragrance-
I like that it has personality among fickle floral woody musks that should have a bit of everything nice-
It's deliciously musky without being sweet and it doesn't have too much going on, which is a very good quality to me-feminine without sweet, not going crazy with the notes-I have a love/hate relationship with sweet scents, and few fragrances with a lengthy list of revealed notes yield as nice a result as simpler ones....How are my olfactory nerves affected by this surreal elixir from a light pink egg?

I don't have a love/hate relationship with this scent...

I could learn to love it if I had it around, but this is not the kind of spicy that I like-
I don't like smelling like saffron. Saffron can be well-blended into a fragrance, but for me, it should not stick out at all. Coriander smells delicious as a spice, and when balanced with the right notes, it can be wonderful, but the saffron, coriander, and the aura of the rose note in Agent Provacateur are sharp and dusty-powdery, not just powdery, and not overly dusty, but dusty-powdery....As it dries down, the musk begins to take over, and it softens. This is the kind of fragrance that might have a power of suggestion over people but it's not a wonderful composition.
I would give it a try, but I would rather pass my sample on to somebody who has never smelled this "instant classic"-I have certain preferences-a lovemap, if you will, for fragrances...

This one is not my type, but if I feel mischievious, and I have access to a bit to wear, I would wear this one on a girl's night out-and report my findings here on Fragrantica...
For now, I will stick to warm woody, fresh rose and soft jasmine scents to feel feminine and play the seductress. I look forward to testing Strip, but I can only recommend trying this one because it's interesting enough to be at least a bit worthy of the hype, even if I don't really like it.

-sample swapped!

vioversilver
vioversilver

This is one that either you love it or hate it, from the looks of the reviews here.
I think maybe the ads turn alot of women off , so they find this perfume vulgar & classless - but it actually in my opinion is quite a sexy scent!
This is a pin up girl , but with an edge ,a bad girl , not so innocent - Betty Page - I could totally imagine her wearing a scent like this in her day - Gypsy Rose Lee is another that springs to mind with this frag .

A.P. is all about va- va voom sexpot.At the same time this perfume has a vintage feel too it - floral, very spicy , sort of soapy , powdery. Very much a boudior scent.
A very long lasting , very potent potion , so a little goes a long way - on me this gets really beautiful after its has diffused on my skin for a while..

Guys seem to like this one ( maybe the spicy, musky animalistic vibe?)then again
Women told me it smelled very pretty , & said it was delicate! I did just put a squirt or two - but I don;t think this is delicate - I still get a retro pin up queen in black lace with pink trim image with this frag , seems to fit perfectly.

nasus s
nasus s

I really thought I would like this based on reviews and the general description of the notes so of course I ordered it online...whoops. It is overwhelming to say the least. I sprayed it on at night and when I woke up it was still on me in full force- holy #^%I. Sexy? I'd say maybe cougarrific. Way to old for me. I assume by the reviews it still smells great on some. I'm really hoping to trade this away...fast. I did like Eau Emotionelle thought.

cookie
cookie

reminds me of old classic movie stars aged ago. i do think it's somewhat smokey, a little sexy but really really in an "old" way for an old woman! really!! the good thing is it lasts very long.

but big NO for me :)

alianeblue
alianeblue

I am not sure about this one, I tend to say I don't like it since it is too spicy, but every time I smell it, it changes, sometimes it's flowery, other flowerless, then spicy, then clean, and all of the sudden sexy and dirty, I don't know I rather stay with Maitresse instead, at least it is more stable than AP.

poppy_vanderbilt
poppy_vanderbilt

When i first smelled this i thought.."oh no"!!!!...I mean it practically slapped me in the face and told me to get on my knees!....But later i decided just for the hell of it to give it a try..it reminds me a little of blumarine Vintage and Creeds fleurs de bulgarie because it seems to have a retro or "old school" character to it like perfumes of the 19th century especially with the sharp rose and soap notes in it but with a less invasive modern twist...there is an austere quality to this when you first put it on more like a cruel mistress as opposed to an affectionate lover but in the end it dries down to what basically amounts to a Rose, powder and old school soap smell...it is a VERY ASSERTIVE fragrance there is no warmth or flirty coquettishness to this frag whatsoever....picture an ageing but still beautiful Dominatrix sitting in her Victorian parlor room and pulling on her black leather glove waiting for her very rich. powerful and Aristocratic client to arrive on his submissive knees.

Malegria
Malegria

Where is saffron? where is magnolia? where is gardenia for heaven`s sake? all I can feel is a pushy and rather bitchy vetiver with a cedar from an air freshener. I love Musk and I love sandalwood, but I can`t feel any of them and it does not change, it does not soften up - it`s just clinging to the skin with a stubbornness of poison ivy. It reminds me of cheap men`s cologne aimed to insult!
I guess it`s body chemistry - but I hardly ever end up so not liking a perfume!!!!!!

truffles

Hey, another 'old woman perfume'. But those are the kind I usually like as opposed to the silly one-note synthetic celebrity fragrances of today. This is clean, well constructed. There's nothing repellant here, I don't get the 'dirty' thing that a lot of people seem to detect. Have phases of ignoring this one but keep falling in love with it again, it's a keeper.

Robynlovesperfume
Robynlovesperfume

This is exactly the kind of fragrance that a woman who loves glamour should have. This is also the only fragrance to date, where I was able to tell what it smelled like just by looking at the bottle, because the scent matches the bottle to a tee!!!! The bottle is beautiful, one you can very easily picture in a boudoir in an old-time movie. It's powdery, musky, and a very 'old-time' scent, but definitely in a good way. In my entire perfume collection, I don't have one that resembles it even a little bit, so it's very original. I will buy this one soon, but wear it mainly for bedtime, as it would probably be a bit much for me during the daytime.

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

I ordered AP unsniffed and was almost sure it would be a disappointment because I tend to fall for oriental florals with sweeter notes - but it was not! It opens with a spicy burst of saffron indeed. Then come the magnolia and the rose, but that's not the opulent rose one might expect. This one is bitter-sweet and powdery. The drydown is animalistic and very addictive woodsy musk. One of the best things about this frag is that it is very distinguishable - once you have tried it, you couldn't mistake it for any other. The lasting power is also a big plus as the sillage is amazing and the scent stays with me for at least 7-8 hours. Many women compare it with NR and they have lots of similarities indeed, but I personally perfer AP as it is not so common and has more character.

guest_tanshi
guest_tanshi

horrible scent the worst fragance i can not imagine how enyone could ever wear this it smell cheap and old

tsofa
tsofa

I adore Maitresse but this fragrance is something different and new for me. I’ve got a trial and just as soon as I tested it, it reminded me soap mixed with wood in a good way. Wood is an ingredient that I don’t like smelling on me but in a magic way it developed rather nicely on my skin. I don’t reject it but this would suit perfectly on my sister’s skin than mine.

The card that went with the trial said that ‘is an exotic floral chypre – the perfect marriage between scent and seduction’. Hmmm, I leave it up to you to decide if it is so.

Tarya
Tarya

I wanted to like this, but this is just horendous on me. I've given several tries, but just can't stand this smell on me. Sharp flowers are putting me on the edge of having massive headache. There is also some weird plastic smell on this. I've never even stand this long enough to get the feeling how it will change after it has seattled well to my skin. After half an hour I was washing my arm with a soap twice, and the smell was still there so the lasting power is very good.

rednose
rednose

I agree with As Joy on this one. It's kind of like a horror movie, this scent. I mean that in a good way. It creeps up on you, breathes on your neck, and makes the floor creak. And like a horror movie, somedays you are just not in a mood for it.

box of delights
box of delights

This is a big no no. This smell made me puke. It has the horrible chemically smell that makes me want to run away from the place where you find them in department stores. When I first smelt it I had high expectations thinking because it has a "name" I expected it to be that good. It was a dreadful shock to smell it. Agent Provacateur? Pooh!

perfumesheep
perfumesheep

OH MY GOD...NO !Put this away from me. It smells like rusty old nails, dirty and so synthetic.I can´t imagine letting my boyfriend smell this on me.I think he would rather run away as fast as he could than consider it being sexy.

lillybee
lillybee

Not at all what I associated with sexyness... it smells dirty to me but in a good way. I get lots and lots of saffron in the first 2 - 3 hours, a strong, soapy note. Once I received an Indian saffron soap from a friend as a gift and from then on, whenever I smell saffron, it reminds me of this soap.

The vetiver does kick in early in the composition and paired with saffron, it comes through as an unwashed body odour accord. Not my type of thing, but as said earlier, intriguing. The rose sligtly softens the sharp and soapy edge, too little in my opinion. I would say AP is an agressive and interesting composition, certainly one of a kind but if you're looking for a sweet and sexy frag, AP isn't your thing.

As Joy
As Joy

This fragrance is really challenging. Like someone said, there are days when you really feel like wearing it, and days when you can't even bare to think about it. Strange, isn't it? When people smell it on me, they have that funny look on their face... Not disgusted but intreagued and a bit surprised. Then they say that it's a strong perfume, but actually quite good. This is not a perfume that suits people who want to play it safe when it comes to buying and wearing perfume!

jellybeantree

I bought it without trying it and on me it smells like old musty lady smell.I smelt it on my friend and it smells beautiful and mysterious! Go figure, so I gave it to her! It can be appreciated when on the right person,I will stick to maitresse! It's better on me!

DreamGirl
DreamGirl

I love this unique perfume. It is not a perfume that everyone in street has a similar smell. Perfect for eveving wear and supersexy for cold days :) At first it may seem very strong, but at least it is very long lasting.

Lila-Zen
Lila-Zen

Sexy, heady and yet powdery - this is the perfume to wear for all you minxy girls out there. The bottle is perfectly 'boudoir' and the scent really embodies the whole AP ethos of edgy-sexy not contrived sexy. Think boudoir bedrooms, powder puffs, liqour, silk lingerie and determination to have fun!

I had a real phase of wearing this but no longer wear it now . I'm age late 30's and it seems to me a late 20's early 30's girls perfume. The time when women grow in their sexual and social confidence.

It really is an exquisite scent, in words I would describe the fragrance as pink but spicy - totally feminine but it feels a bit naughty!

this is definitely a sensual classic fragrance that is launched in 2000.
in fact I couldn't believe my eyes looking at the notes!I mean I thought there are so many notes,like classic perfumes launched in 1950 or so.
saffron is very strong.it makes it both sweet and bitter and of course sharp with the dominant note of rose.
it's not a mild or teenagery rose.it's a very sharp and strong feminine one.in fact smelling it for a long time make me cough.
the woman who wears it should look really sexy and she can't be denied.but it's not my cup of tea.I prefer going back to my mild floral fruity fragrances.

Sooooo, what a scent! Not for me. Interesting on its own, but I feel it like a very refined sophisticate exercise of grossness. It pushes way too hard on a common stereotype. Their lingerie is gross, expensive poor quality, not even sensual. Just sexual in a male imagery's way, and gross. Ads are vulgar and phoney.
The first time I ever smelled this fragrance at a counter many years ago I thought I was going to faint. Sweaty!!!It doesn't smell like feminine sensual scent, rather like the smell of sex left on women bodies by men. Maybe this is what turn men on about this. Not a feminine smell, but a male smell with a female madeup face.
I had a vision from my childhood in the old '70s in a foggy polluted city in Italy: I was very little, about 4-5, and my height was about adults' knees. At that time average people bathed less, maybe not even having had sex and the average lady used to wear knee-lenght skirt with mid-brown nylon stockings and leather classic mid-heels shoes, thick wool coats with grounghog fur necks and scary crocodile leather bags. Well... AP smelled to me exactly like that strange nausenous smell that came from women's nyloned legs when I walked around hanging at my mother's hand. We met other ladies with children in the street and while the adults profused in phoney pleasantries and babygirls put their tongue out at each other, I smelled that smell: a mixture of unwashed panties, heavy body odours melt with cheap nylon, fabric smell, a fur neck smell in a cold wet weather, wet umbrellas, cracked make-up (typical heavy crap-scented big eye-shadow pencil in light blue and peacock green), Elnett hairspray on not so clean hair and over all this the fave scent of every lady, usually a concoction of indistinct flowers plus aldehydes and some cheap civet. All this is first whif of AP. Human dirt as the "agent provocateur" of something. I perfectly see why it is considered a brothel's smell even if I bet many of us have never been to one of them, especially a decadent romantic one...
I sprayed some at the counter than I went to an ice-cream parlour with a friend and the owner kept telling me I smelled sooo gorgeous and even wanted me to write down the French name so that he could buy some for his wife, haha! Then I got a big sample and used it in different time of the month. Uh! That changes! After a first strong knock it fades to an almost elegant floral floral slightly ambery scent. Weird. Everytime I put it on it smells a little different, but there are many days when it's just indecently unbearable. My problem with it is that I'm not sure if my perception of the scent I have on is the same others have of me. Beware I've been a long-term brave wearer of Amarige and the alikes, not a frilly fruity water lover for many years. Now I'm going lighter. With AP I could feel dirty in it and then people compliment me or I could smell AP quite clean that day while others get the animal stuff.
I think that many women can be drawn to wear this scent because they discovered that being the good girl is not often paying off in this world. The good girl screams: "hey man! Look at me! I can be brothel-naughty, hence sexually attractive!"
For some reasons I put this scent in the JPG The Woman trend. Same aim probably: the brothel. JPG's Classic was a sugary, pink alcohol-cleaned one, AP is a rose scented uncleaned one.
Also Vivienne Westwood Boudoir: even dirtier one and more Eyes Wide Shut sex imagery.
What this scent(s) misses totally is real irony and a whif of well-being/serenity/poetry/contemplation. None of that.

Edit: this week will be my birthday. I hope none of my friends is going to shell their money out on this for me! It would be nice to have a bottle for free. But if they want to give me YR Rose Absolue...

Edit AGAIN 4th December 2009: I like it, I really like it! How is it possible?!? Well, it is. I think it's very sexy and rosy-dirty. I'm not always in a mood for it. I like to wear it when I go out at night not during the day at workplace. I got positive feedbacks. Now Xmas is close I hope some of my friends present me with this :-D

megannsmom
megannsmom

I can see why this one is a bit "much" for some people, It shouts "I am HERE!" from the moment it leaves the bottle. Give it time, it will calm down and be less effusive, but still demand attention. The Rose note is what stands out for me the most at this point; but this is no ordinary, lady like rose wrapped in tissue with babies breath....this is the darkest red rose, dipped in dark rose oil, left to dry and dipped again. It is the rose of absolute seduction....perhaps a bed of red rose petals crushed by the satisfied lovers who lay upon it....needless to say, I love it! I do wish for more sweetness in the drydown, I don't get the same amount of musk that others seem to get. But I will learn to live with that for such a fragrance as this!

MoietToi
MoietToi

I just purchased this perfume today. Oh I love this scent it's so sexy,animalistic and deliciously dark. I will probabily use it for night time only cause it is quiet strong.

Annie_D
Annie_D

Very different and unique I haven't tested many fragrances that are even on the same level as AP. I would imagine this is what a brothel would smell like, dark woods slight smoky tobacco like essence, and an animalistic almost masculine scent. It is a certain kind of sexy scent, but I don't think I could pull it off. I would think of a woman seducing and dancing, maybe burlesque,in a smoky room where men are smoking cigars.

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

very intensive fresh and rich scent. it tempts and porovokes to pay attention , but at the same time - has good ballanced strict clasique composition ;-) I recomend it wear for both - for woman and for men ;)

rosaria
rosaria

Agent Provocateur is a fragrance that I love .The first spray scares. It is too strong.After a few minutes it settles down to a nice flower powdery animalic smell with some hints of leather.

Don't give up AP based only on the first impression. It takes some time to develop into a comfortable scent that you'll carry for hours.

Besides, it's unique, mature and enigmatic... People used to sweet and childish bubble gum scents will not enjoy it...

tuberose_and _sand
tuberose_and _sand

I truly dislike it. It has a very sweet, cloying smell; I hate using cliches, but it really smells like an "old-lady's" perfume. I couldn't find anything sexy in smelling it. Reminds me of a cheap fragrance that just resembles sweat.

Agent Provocateur is such a distinctive, unique and daring fragrance.

When I first sprayed it, I was almost blown over backwards with the strong florals mixed with the spices. It was a little too heady and 'in-your-face' for my liking. However, minutes later I sniffed my wrist once again and realised that this fragrance was growing on me.

Slightly powdery, yet strangely sexy, Agent Provocateur is one perfume that changes with every sniff. One minute it's musky, next minute it's sour, the next it's sweet.

I agree with the majority that say that this fragrance is sexy, because it most definitely is sexy. However, in my opinion, Agent Provocateur is not your typical 'brothel' scent, it is much classier, more suited to the woman that is in control and enjoys her own feminine sensuality.

Because this fragrance is primarily rose, jasmine and spices, this fragrance is for women and not little girls. The pink bottle with the black ribbon, although well suited to the fragrance, may attract younger consumers and discourage the more mature woman from trying Agent Provocateur.

I would wear this as an evening scent, since it exudes such elegance and sex appeal. Although, like the overall promotion of the fragrance suggests, this can also be worn as an intimate night fragrance with that special someone.

allexa27
allexa27

I just received My AP and i am in love !!!!I just sorry that i got 30 ml bottle ,i cant get enough of it.So sexy ,so seductive and so differeent smell from all the stuff in the perfumery shops.For me the smell is not strong and sharp at all, it is very creamy and and rosy and little bit spicy on my skin.I feel very sexy wearing it.LOve it ,love it love it!!!P.SI dont like only the black ribbon,which reminds me of a funeral.

falovalo
falovalo

I didn't really know a floral could be sexy, but I was wrong. The florals and the spice mix nicely to create something that is very suitable for um, shall we say "romantic moments", kinda makes me want to pounce!

lilinah
lilinah

I just got my bottle in the mail.

WoW! NOT what i expected. And that's fine with me.

The initial spray was SO unlike any other perfume i've ever smelled. It begins with a NON-sweet blast, which i think is the saffron, coriander, and cedar. I could definitely detect the vetiver. There was also something... salty. Plus i could swear i smelled spikenard/jatamansi, although it isn't an ingredient.

Edited to Add:
There is also something animalic, i see musk listed, but this smells more like civet to me. It is clearly what people variously describe as dirty, sweaty, smelly... We are no longer used to these scents, but they were a classic turn-on in the 19th century. Perhaps we want to smell like shower gel, laundry detergent (ugh), and drier sheets (which literally make me sick) too much.

Back to Original Post:
At first i could barely smell the flowers, but gradually they emerged - i didn't smell any one clearly, but they softened the spices and woods, and added a richness to the scent. Then the underlying animal scent joins in.

I haven't reached full dry-down, but i anticipate a pleasantly surprising and unusual finale. I was just so excited i had to post before it got there.

My goodness, this is just fabulous. A perfume that smells like no other.

"Agent Provocateur" is not for the timid. It is not a scent to wear on a first date, nor when going out with conventional people. This is an edgy and modern scent.

Wow! Finally a perfume for a sophisticated modern adult! This one is really impressive. I am SO happy i bought it!

snobuni77
snobuni77

YaY me!!I finally got a mini of the infamous Agent Provocateur!!I have to say I was expecting just what I got.
It definitely is a love it or hate it scent & I do both.
When I first sprayed it on my wrist I took a whiff & went "Wheww this smells old fashioned,I don't think its for me".But Strangely I couldn't stop smelling my wrist.I kept bringing it up to my nose & breathing deeply until the moment I feel asleep.Although it is a little old fashioned it is also very sexy.Like a naked movie star from generations ago.
Why do I say naked??....Well it is the powder that I smell that makes me sense nakedness.You powder yourself without clothes on right?Well I get this & traces of perfume from long ago....nothing modern or mainstream.Traces of perfume that might be worn on women in a brothel.A Very Pretty women with long flowing hair & thigh highs on.Women that get what she wants & attracts anyone who dares to look at her.

Σελήνη
Σελήνη

I had a Déjà-vu when i smelled Agent provocateur the first time.This fragrance is very unique and extraordinary,and it's a love it or hate it scent.
I really like this fragrance but can't wear it all the time.The first sniff is very strong and spicy i think it's the safron,after a certain time you smell the floral notes mostly the rose and the woody notes.

Agent Provocateur is really Provocative but also very lovely.When i smell it from far away i smell the rose and it smells a bit soapy,and form the near it smells dirty,spicy and woody.It's WOW!
This scent last such a long time over 12 hours.The bottle is amazing i don't like eggs and i don't like pink,but i fell in love with this bottle don't know why,fits perfect to the smell and it looks very good it's noble and cute,and then this powerful but also very pleasant scent.

I think it's a fragrance for the nightlife but also for the daytime.It's how the people interpret this scent.When i wear it on the daytime i mostly smell roses and i feel clean with it,when i wear it at the nighttime i smell more the woody,spicy,sexy notes and it has a other effect for the people.A good fragrance for the spring,fall,wintertime.

rieuse
rieuse

If your nose decided to commit a sense-of-smell-suicide then Agent Provocateur's top notes is the way to go. If afterwards it still can distinguish scents then you'll find yourself in a fragrant heaven: amber and rose create an unusual and warm aura around you. It's even more of roses à la crème effect - so sweet and tempting... It's a pure Magic of Seduction in a bottle...

UPD: Agent Provocateur is a very unique scent. It's a scent you need to know how to appreciate. It might scare you at first with its originality but if you're brave enough to let this perfume make it's magic, it will be your secret weapon always and forever!

ktv0926
ktv0926

When I first sprayed it and inhaled - my face automatically wrinkled, which is definately not a good sign... With time passing by, the strength of the fragrance faded away and I could already enjoy the unusual notes of this perfume.

The scent is very seductive and I like it, but still (even 1 hour later)I wish it wouldn't be sooo strong and sharp. I can't imagine spraying this fragrance on my hands and neck and hair (as I usually do)...

As I'm thinking now, maybe I could enjoy this fragrance in the form of oil or body lotion...something that would have the same notes but softer and not so standing out.

Magdalena79

i rarely wear this one, but I like its richness, sexiness and the way it challenges me. not a perfume for every day and every mood... it's really brash, loud and provocative, you can't stay indifferent in your relations with it.

and i like the whole marketing around it, which is very consistent with the scent!

mirror
mirror

Definitely very unique...
I find the saffron note a bit overpowering and the gardenia is not really my thing.
Nevertheless the fragrance strokes me. I think it smells like inside an expensive european bordello. Not exactly fresh but nice and mysterious. Whatsoever I don't think I could wear it, I am going to try strip maybe that suits my better.

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

I don't know why, but I cannot wear this perfume. I put it on and immediately had to scrub it off. Something in it is offensive to my nose. It's a shame, too, because I can see many people love it. I, however, found it impossible to wear and gave it away to a friend. Maybe it is the saffron? I cannot be sure. The only other time I had this response to a perfume was with Bvlgari Blu.

Bitter Saffron and rose dusty with cedar. Brash, loud baby powdery scent. Urk.This one is offensive on me, even in tiny doses.

vestigial
vestigial

it's truly demanding - you have to watch what you wear, it's definitely far from casual. Draws attention - especially if it fits your style.
Not my style though. But my younger sister is in love with it (can understand her!)

Trvevil
Trvevil

I met this Agent Provocateur when I was at store and there was this man torturing saleslady about what should he buy for... (must be his woman). I wasn't interested in conversation as I was thinking what to try out today.Saleslady said that ' This one, Agent Provocateur is very strong...' and these words somehow pressed in my mind and ricocheted all the time. Until I was fed up and decided to go and find this one and try it. I didn't even know how it looked and did the man buy it. I remembered it to be at the top shelves (teenage girls never look up there, I was pretty sure that Shalimar at my place is hard to get, but then stumbled up with the help of sales assistant that it was 'hidden' on the top shelves as well, there where I never looked for it.). So I stretched up and and grabbed the pink trying not to destroy anything else near and sprayed it to my wrist many times. It definitely was a strong one and unusual one. The same challenge for me as Angel was. So at first it is quite edible, but already screams in all directions. My dad even told me that I smell very intense, maybe even too much. My other male friend told me that this one smells like incense sticks and Strip too. So the top notes are strong, delicious- there's much of saffron blended with magnolia so well that it is like whole one thing. Next comes spicy indian food with very dark rose and vetiver - that's how brothel in my opinion smells or should smell- it's dirty, animalistic but never cheap. I consider this as a very aggressive to men. I can without doubt consider this as my signature, but I like to wear many fragrances and I wear this one when I fell quite aggressive and playful as well (It's like silly jumping around, because I sometimes don't know where to put my energy).
Bottle is very pretty in 50 ml- so cute and accurate- it's from glass, but the pink is like 'icing'.
This stuff is very long lasting and works better on skin than on hair (I find it a bit odd when I smell my hair and it smells like this). If you apply it to your clothes then it can stay almost original smelling even after you wash it.

Marianne
Marianne

@ mari85: That's exactly the same with me. I was so disappointed to see that i didn't work with my skin at all...it must be different on other people, otherwise, they wouldn't buy or love it.

Montie_M
Montie_M

Such a complex, sensual fragrance and will satisfy those who like rose in its many facets.
Spicy, dark, gothic rose at the first spritz. Minutes later, the rose turns into something more sparkling, perhaps because of jasmine/magnolia started to arise. It was lasted for sometime before the rosy scent once again turned into something more intimate, more woodsy, muskier, quite powdery. Nice base notes, i think.
Agree. I also consider this provocative.

mari85
mari85

This didn't sit right with me and I have to agree with migotka that it smelled like something strangely medical and artificial...just made me nauseous and on the verge of a headache. I can't imagine anyone wanting to smell the same way as I did when I tried it on, so I'm guessing it has something to do with chemistry..

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

This fragrace is quite an enigma.So many contradictions in it.Spicy and dirty yet at the same time floral and clean,Strong and longlasting yet so close to the skin..To me it is something more than a feminine smell.To me AP reflects the complexity,the mystery the essence of a woman.It is very unique fragrance and therefore difficult to appreciate..I reccomend it as an evening scent and believe that worths the shot to anyone who likes sisley eau de soir or Narciso Rodriguez,animalic earthy smells that become one with the skin and blend with the wearers chemistry thus providing a different scent ""trail''to every person who wears it.

Boggi
Boggi

Though I have decided I like this perfume so much, that I have to buy it, I'm cant say that I find it very extreme or sexy. I like unusual parfumes, but this one is just clean and nice. In a good way. Maybe its acting different on my skin?

guest_joshi
guest_joshi

hiya
when I sniffed it at first I could not find a similar to it so I smelled it a few hours later and it is exactlly like lancome trésor

soirdelune
soirdelune

I like this, though am unsure as to whether or not I would actually wear it. On first smelling, reminded me of La Perla, from the late 80s, another scent from a high-end lingerie house. Sophisticated and yes, self-consciously sexy.

fruttella
fruttella

At the beginning the spicy start-off made me think - urghh, another spicy fragrance. But only shortly after the vetriver notes came to milden the hard spicy smell together with very femine floral notes. I can just say it is a clean, chick and seductive smell.

wildflower

Use this with pure vanilla body cream or fragrance etc.

It softens the sharpness, and gives warmth to the scent. It becames much more stunning.

Worth a try!

wildflower

I dont no what it is, maybe the saffron oil also, but the top note is exactly like that festivalcolor that goes off in one wash (I mean those bright colours like reds, blues, green etc.)
In Finland children are using those on a workingclassparty at first of april.

Maybe in america they are using those at halloween?

pimpnazt
pimpnazt

This definitely starts off spicy and sharp and has that distinctive spice and Indian jasmine smell that lasts, for a good bit. It definitely dries down to that woodsy musk. It smells wonderful. I can't say, though, that it is as sexy as Maitresse.

doroula
doroula

I fell head over hills for this one. Oh, the burst of safron is overwhelming at the begining, but the melow musk and velvety rose at the end are worth every penny. This is so incerdibly sexy and provocative, yet the musk-note at the end manages to create the illusion of clean and sexy perfume, but dirty and erotic at the same time. 100% womanly!

zoka
zoka

this is their first fragrance and the best. I like it, it is really sexy.