Designers » A » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

leather
whiskey
Cumming Alan Cumming for men Videos
Cumming Alan Cumming for men Pictures

Cumming is the first and, for now, the only fragrance by the famous actor Alana Cumming. The fragrance is the creation of the famous nose, who stands behind Demeter perfume and has his own line now - CB I hate perfume, Christopher Brosius. This fragrance is classic, just like recognizable and strong classic perfumes from the past, but at the same time sassy and modern. Alan Cumming claims:” The longer you wear it and the more you sweat, Cumming gets deeper and sexier”. Description of the fragrance on its official site starts from bottom to top of the composition; base notes are leather, peat fire, highland mud, burned rubber and white truffle, sensual and worm like a wool blanket. Heart notes are sharp and tempting with cigar, heather, fir and rubber. Top notes complete the fragrance with fresh spiced notes of bergamot, black pepper, pine and whiskey. The perfume was launched in 2004.

Pine Tree Leather Balsam Fir Whiskey Bergamot Pepper Moss Soil tincture tuber

Cumming Fragrance Reviews

JohnMc
JohnMc

Having just read Alfarom's review I have to admit that I'm intrigued and therefore willing to put aside my irony detector and actually attempt to sample this offering from Scotland's finest export!

Adler
Adler

The reviews and lists of notes intrigues me. Message me if you have any that you want to get rid of.

ecojoe69
ecojoe69

Sure, its unique and different (just like Mr Cummings) but to me it smells mostly of earth and peat. Great for those who don't really want to smell "perfumed" but not really something that appeals to me.

evesoho
evesoho

Best commercial for perfume that I've ever seen! Just hilarious! Even though the print ad is supposed to be a parody... it's quite nice, actually! I would hang a small print of it on my wall, because I like it, and Alan is cute! "It's important to know how to have fun, and it's fun to know what's important."

culeyule67
culeyule67

Tires burning in dirt.

I'm sure there are those who would find this interesting.

I bought it to pay him for the HILARIOUS ad! :)

kentabatinga
kentabatinga

Too bad I spent money on this. This is a scrubber for me. Could not pass the first 15 minutes, had to wash it off. Very raw rubber mixed with pine-sol. No leather or tobacco, and no sililarities at all to Lubin Idole or Frapin like mentioned before. Contact me if you want to buy this from me.

With such a name, I'd expected something extremely challenging, provocative, unapologetic and sort of love-or-hate but, Cumming, is a very easy to like fragrance. Basically this is a leather centered composition with boozy notes, a smoky-cigar accord and something else that strikes halfway bewteen spices and coniferous hints. If all of this may bring to mind fragrances such as Idole De Lubin or cetrain deliveries from Frapin, be advised that Cumming is VERY far from either being surrounded by a remarkable urban vibe as opposed to the spice market allure and oriental quality of both the Lubin and Frapin.

Cumming is modern and with its abstract nature, it clearly shows the experimental aspect of most of the Christopher Brosius' compositions for CB I Hate Perfumes and Demeter. The opening is quite misterious with a boozy accord of whiskey and an extremely aromatic dry-tobacco quality. It's like smelling a cigar and then lick it while holding in your hand an opened Zippo. This accord is very efemeral and it's immediately joined by a bold animalic leather note that brings to mind of saddled horses passing by in the streets of London or New York. The strong animalic presence is handled to achive a metrosexual, sort of urban vibe as opposed to the typical barnyard/cowboy imaginary of most of the compositions that move in the same direction. In this context, Cumming is a damn sexy fragrance that will appeal to both hardcore leather fans and experimentalist-avanguardist perfumistos.

Overall Cumming is a moderately powerful composition that while staying quite close to the skin throghout its evolution, it's still able to provide an incredibly distinctive allure with its oxymoronic dirty-clean presence. One of a kind. An hidden gem.

Rating: 8.5/10

The leather is clearly present, and there is a dirt-like quality too. And it's got a vanillic sweetness and a cigar note. Fortunately, I don't get any rubber, burned or otherwise. That's mostly what I get from it. After an hour or so, it's goes linear. Longevity and projection ("sillage") are at least good. It's a very interesting fragrance, but I'm not sure if I enjoy the dirt-like thing. It's not animalic but actually like dirt, and in this case, the fact it smells natural may not be all that desirable. I think that for me it may be best to layer it.

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

Cumming, ready or not. (He's GOT to be joking!)

Ouch!
Ouch!

Fistly thank you to Gypsyparfumista for sending a little slice of this to me!

My first impressions when I sprayed this on my wrist were Oh my gosh! Have I just smelled a replacement for Gucci's rush for men?? Within seconds that had changed because I was smacked in the mush with a very heavy vetiver note. The same thick dark vetiver than you find in Tom Ford's Black Orchid. It's very dry smelling.

Unfortuantley for me this completley takes over the rest of the notes and it's right at the forefront the entire time.

This is basically all I get until drydown, I sprayed it just before I went to the shop. I've just got back and the smell has pretty much dissapered from my skin. About 10 minutes. :(

It's not one I'd usually choose but I'm glad I got to try it.

I have to admit, when I saw this in my sample package of spray vials from weegee; I thought:(smirking) "Oh yeah?, first Secretions Magnifiques...now this?" But on looking it up, I saw it was by ALAN Cumming-great way to get attention...we are sexual creatures after all!

This is nothing like the name implies unless you like to "do it" in the great outdoors under moss covered trees while bonfires of old tires burn and after consuming whiskey...in the mud and dirt! When I read the notes (before spraying it) I thought oooh-how manly!

When I sprayed it on paper I thought: peat moss, yes! Dirt, yes! Fire and smoke-For sure!...but where was the whiskey and the other stuff? This scent is COMPLETELY different on skin than on paper...

On skin: This smells similar to how it smelled on paper for the first few seconds-then it softens as the peppers spiciness and the sharp very true pine note blend with the sweet whiskey and a hint of citrus. The opening accord with nuances of peat moss, rubber and dirt remains throughout; but it does some interesting things! I can see why it was described backwards. It almost comes on too strong, but as it fades it gets sweeter, smoother. The tobacco, heather, fir and truffle note (fungi) are at once earthy(outdoorsy), sweeter, sexy and very masculine. After it does finally settle on the skin-like walking through thick smoke to get to the warmth and comfort of the bonfire-it's leather note along with the other basenotes make for a very well blended manscent...and I can tell you if you do sweat (or exert yourself ;-))while wearing this is does make it much more intense...but sweeter and smoother at the same time. The longer you wear it the better it does become. This combines the rawest of materials with the earthiest and manliest notes to become (eventually) something utterly beautiful and unashamed of it's own raw in your face sexiness! Truly astounding...

Sillage: great then closer as it mellows
Longevity: it's complicated...
Overall: 4.75/5

This scent floored me, and I am still discovering new nuances each and everytime I wear it. I love Black by Bvlgari-but this is rawer, with no flowers or sweetness of any kind (other than the heather and whiskey, a boozy sweetness at that!). and so much more than Bonfire, Dirt or Rubber( from Demeter). I can see Black on many women...this?-Not so much! And, know this: this may not be everyone's cup of tea...but it is awesome! I grew up in the "woods" and this smells so very earthy, I just cannot get enough of this!!!

As far as the other comments here: I have lived in the city and been approached by many homeless people (alcoholics and non-alcoholics both) and none of them ever smelled like this. "Dirty" (and funk/BO) never smells good...and this smells great!

And if you think about it, (albeit carnally); then this is very aptly named: cumming is very short lived, as it's the journey to that point that is the true wonder of Nature!...This comes on very heavy, gets sweeter as it gets to know you; and then after the initial fireworks kinda fades to a comfortable relaxed state...sounds like most guys...beautiful while it lasts, but never lasts as long as you'd like it too! :-)

Watch the video on this page, it says it ALL! ;-)

Kirancilla
Kirancilla

Haha Marty, I was thinking the same... LOL

Leather, mud, burned rubber? Ashtray with drops of whiskey? The more you sweat it gets deeper and sexier?
Man, how APPETIZING...

Go tell anyone you like to smell like a dirty old homeless alcoholic smoker, and wear CUMMING.
Sexy.

weegee
weegee

Lordy, such a sexy stink! Cigar smoke, good whisky, leather, fresh earth, excited crotch.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Different? Yes, but can easily be compared to Guess Marciano for Men and Boss Selection. How do they all differ? Marciano is richer in spices and sophistication, Selection is simply cleaner and not so jagged around the edges... and "Cumming" has a certain dirty-earthy tone, I suppose to live up to it's vulgarity. I think I'll stick with Marciano and Selection, but while I have a sample... I'll wear it until its gone. All are obviously intimate fragrances. Should this suit you, then go for it.

I haven't had this on for an hour yet, but I hear the lasting power is somewhat of an issue. If you're going to create something called "Cumming," shouldn't it be expected to last?

UPDATE: Over an hour later, I've come to realize that in the dry-down, this becomes Marciano. That awkward opening everyone speaks of, doesn't hold very long. If you ask me, that should have been the initial scent.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Yes, to begin with it smells like earthy things - dirt, peat, rubber - exactly as promised, but all appearing as top notes, not base notes. There’s also a note that I don’t identify, but that reminds me of some old-fashioned really hoppy beers. Maybe it’s malt. Maybe it’s supposed to be whiskey. After the strange onset, I can detect leather, but I never get a pine-needle or bergamot smell. I think those volatile things get lost in the aggressive earthy notes. Once it settles down, I perceive it as a subtle leather scent with a bit of geranium. After less than an hour the leather scent changes to a sweet, generic “after-shave”, and finally to the usual lavender-cedar “men’s” base.

For a scent that started off in such an unconventional way, it was disappointing to find that all but the first 15 minutes was pretty much a journey through familiar and uninteresting territory.

pirata
pirata

Finally after looking for months I found a bottle of this fragrance and immediately purchased it. This is by far the strangest and most unique fragrance ive ever smelled.

The top starts off with a heavy pine tree and soil smell, exactly how the user Tessture below me explained. I can also get a hint of that black pepper note along with some fine whiskey. After some time you can still get a hint of the pine and faintly smell the cigar note, like holding a fresh cigar up to your nose mmmm. Then the rubber and leather come in, the burnt rubber is very similar to the burnt rubber note Bvlgari's black, and the leather oddly reminds me of the way a leather jacket would smell at a vintage shop.

Altogether a very unique and fantastic fragrance that doesnt get the credit it deserves. Most might walk away after the first sniff but it really does get much nicer as it settles in.
If you come across it (which took me forever since I believe they discontinued it) I would highly recommend you try it for yourself, however I do not recommend using a test stip for it, test it on your skin and give it time to show how pleasant it can be you may be quite surprised. :)

The only flaw in this fragrance IMO is that it doesnt project very well, people may only notice up close. It lasts a decent amount of time on my skin which surprised me since many say it doesnt last, but on me I got about 5-6 hours but like i said, it stays VERY close to the skin. Other than that, a wonderful fragrance that I would love to always have in my collection.

Alan Cumming's signature fragrance is like walking through a forest floored with black loam: There are clear notes of pine, black thick moist loam and a fabulous note of peat, just like the real thing, which is incredible. Dry down fades the dirt back a bit, but mostly adds whiskey and tobacco. The pine stays strong, and it almost feels like men sitting under a Christmas tree having a celebratory drink. The whiskey and tobacco fade on and the pine becomes sappy and woody, very very much like that Christmas tree. This is an amazing journey of a scent, and I can see it not being wearable on some. I can wear it, and I will as winter comes on: It's an entire season in a little bottle and one of the most evocative scents I've ever come across.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

This sounds sexy: not the name (which is funny and provocative), but the notes. I like all of the listed notes and wonder how they would smell on me--or on my male date.

minister smellgood
minister smellgood

dude, this has the craziest opening out of any colgne made.it actually smells allright if you can make it past the first 15min.

VioletLily
VioletLily

Got myself a wee sample of Cumming from BeautyHabit. I had to try it, as ma man is Scottish…what a great scent for him to wear!
Vial: Whooee! Lotsa dirt here. Get your dirt right here! I definitely agree with the Demeter similarity.

On: Rubber and dirt. I hope the other notes come out...soon! It’s not bad though, lovely moist earth. Reminds me of BPAL Ulalume, except Ulalume has more floral aquatic notes. I’m also thinking of Bvlgari Black with that rubber, except not as much tyre and no vanilla icecream. Ah yes, more notes arriving… the scotch pine and Whiskey, a little earthy sweetness, maybe a hint of leather and the rubber and dirt dying down a little into the background. You know, this ain’t so bad at all…I kind of like it, except, it does fade rather quickly. I don’t suppose I would want it too strong, but it’s like Mr Cumming wanted to cause a stir with the name and some ‘naughty’ notes, but wussed out a little with the strength of them. It's there a few hours later, but very close to the skin, like a warm skin scent with just a hint of rubber, sweetness and spice…I like that part. As for my man, he loved the name and the image the notes inspired, but alas he didn’t like it on him. I might try it again though as I think it could be quite sexy on a man, and he might get to like it.

PS: And my take on the name? Can’t be any worse than Sex on the Beach! And the price is, yeah, $69, dude! (Sorry, resorting to Bill and Ted quotes here) =:)

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

A trully unique fragrance that smells like leather, scotch and wet and muddy earth...
I don't know how to explain this, but the smell on my skin was like if I had been playing out on the mud drinking a glass of scotch.

I was really curious about this one but, after some days with it, I decided to resell it at Ebay. Its lasting power was very poor as well.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Masculine? I think it's more unisex. This is one of the most unusual fragrances I have ever smelled. A unique moss and bicycle tire(!) opening gives way to a gorgeous boozey/tobacco-y gourmand. Definitely worth a sniff if you're in the mood for something different. And it's so fun to tell people the name of the scent when they ask what you're wearing, LOL!

Cumming by Alan Cumming 4.02 out of 5 based on 53 ratings and 22 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Alan Cumming Cumming fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Alan Cumming Cumming, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cumming by Alan Cumming. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cumming by Alan Cumming represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.