Designers » A » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women

Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women
dislike

I have it: 453 I had it: 256 I want it: 483 My signature: 23

Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women Pictures Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women Pictures Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women Pictures Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women Pictures Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women Pictures Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women Pictures Kingdom Alexander McQueen for women Pictures

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Cavallier. Top notes are orange, mandarin orange, mint, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, ginger, rhubarb, jasmine, celery seeds and rose; base notes are amber, musk and oakmoss.

Orange Mandarin Orange Mint Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Carnation Ginger Rhubarb Jasmine Celery Seeds Rose

Amber Musk Oakmoss

Dune

Kingdom Fragrance Reviews

OfTheNight
OfTheNight

Kingdom is so different and so far away from anything else that I own. I purchased my bottle a few days before it was announced that Alexander McQueen committed suicide and that moment in time has permanently attached itself to this fragrance. I had always been a big fan of everything he did, I'd watch his fashion shows and I'd be transported into a different world full of wonder, sadness, beauty and creativity. He was a creative soul and I think all those qualities have been reflected into this fragrance.

On my Skin this is incredibly heavy. It's a very aromatic fragrance with a strong celery seed and rhubarb combo headlining the fragrance for me. The musk is very present and sort of stays for the whole time I wear this. I do detect some of the floral notes like the rose and the carnation but then all these heavy spices and earthy notes step in and sort of shatter the florals into oblivion, it's almost like a black cloud creeping on what was once a sunny day. Its a confusing fragrance because it makes me feel so many different things. It's partly sad, partly fresh, partly erotic, partly dirty..almost unclean in a way but i think that quality seems to add character and a strange kind of beauty. I don't know guys...it's confusing.

Overall I really do love this fragrance, I think it's an incredibly beautiful scent. I always end up wearing this on rainy days, I'll step out into the city and smell the rain and smell Kindgom tucked under my coat and spreading itself across my sweater- you can't beat that sort of comfort.

Cochlea
Cochlea

Cumin Heaven! I love this on my skin! Why would they ever discontinue this beauty?? When I started at Fragrantica, I tried this, I absolutely hated this now my tastes have changed, I look for animalic perfumes now.
On my skin I smell the rose and the celery seed.
I love the celery seed here, its the star, a little intense like salty skin it may turn some people off but that sort of thing makes me weak in the knees! The scent reminds me of being in bed on a lazy Sunday with my lover and he has his own dirty carnal scent on his skin, I am in love with that scent, it is very sensual.
The celery seed was very overwhelming at first then it started to blend with the lovely rose. It is very much there throughout Kingdom for 2 hours on my skin.
This is tested from a vial, the sillage is about average then became soft immediately. Longevity was about 2 hours. The bottle is so cool and weird.
If you like wearing something unsettling unique, you must try this, this is a must try for lovers of animalics. It is a love it or hate it scent! Don't blind buy.

klcowart
klcowart

Delicious! I found a sample size spray of this on ebay to try, and I love it! The top notes start off sexy, spicy, fresh, and slightly animalic and masculine - only very slightly. It reminds me of Womanity and Angel - two perfume that I don't really like, but I love this! I find Kingdom's initial spray is lighter and more wearable than Mugler's two perfumes. The middle layer is very nice too (maybe my favorite part!) as it reminds me of Ralph Lauren Hot which I used to wear in high school, but this is more grown up. The base notes have this awesome musky, what I call a "doctor's smell" (am I crazy? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?) that's just so sexy and clean - I notice the same sensation in Katy Perry's Killer Queen at some point. So, though I find that Kingdom is strange yet likeable and sexy at first, and the dry down just gets cozier and cozier! The life of the fragrance is pretty long, maybe 6 or 4 hours? I think this is a great quality fragrance, and am definitely going to try to get a full size bottle, though it's so expensive! Grr, why could they not find a way to continue this fragrance? They should totally have a commemorative McQueen re-release - it would totally sell, sell, sell and make a lot of perfumistas happy!

androidi
androidi

Very woody from the beginning, with a distinctive bergamot note. At first, Kingdom reminded me a lot of Tam Dao EDT. Further comparison with Tam Dao proved that despite the similarities, they are clearly different. Whereas Tam Dao has a soft woody opening, Kingdom has a strong aromatic vibe. Kingdom does not have cedar listed in the notes but it should. There is musk in the basenotes, but it's not a very animalic musk but more like cologne: FRESH. I can't detect any "body odour" or "armpit note", not even a hint, at any stage.

Mozartiana
Mozartiana

Tip for all the lovers of this fragrance in the Netherlands - 30 ml bottles are still available on parfumsuper.nl so hurry up!

sierramae
sierramae

Is there anyone or anywhere I can buy samples of this perfume from? I have always wanted to try this. I heard this was discontinued, but surely there's someone who might sell one. I am so burning with curiosity and intrigue.

Any leads, please email me at sierra_atienza@live.com

mimila
mimila

Last week we had one day with a forecast of rain. On this day, I took the bus to the Dentist with the expectation of haunting the local perfume shops after. One is a special favorite as I have found a few discontinued and much sought after fragrances there (once I got a Cher Uninhibited gift set). This magical day, they had Kingdom tester vials. I had heard of Kingdom and quickly snapped one up. On the bus stop I took out the vial and sprayed it on. One spray on the chest and one on each wrist. I put on my muffler, zipped up my coat and at that moment the rain began to fall. It was at that moment that I fell forever in love with Kingdom. It is warm, etherial, spicy and sensual. to my nose it reminds me of Christian Dior Dune and Yves Rocher Venice. If it can be possible to be perfectly happy on a California bus stop in the rain, wearing Kingdom makes it so.

icecube
icecube

I really like the opening - quite soft to what I had expected. To me it smells green and fresh.
I softens more and more and is very close to the skin - the flowers are a little bit more noticeable now.
This is a discrete lady - so wellblended that you cant hardly find the individual notes.
I think this perfume could appeal to many different kinds of people and ages. A pitty it is discontinued.
To me this is a lovely and supersoft perfume - I find it strange that people describes it as bold, weird, sexy - as I perceives it as the total opposite.
Smelling it on my wrist right now and it feels like floating on clouds.
A great bottledesign even if I dont think it reflects the character of the perfume - but that is surely a tricky thing to accomplish.

kfleumer
kfleumer

Just received my 100 ml. eau de parfum tester bottle in de mail, through a second-hand trade website... glad I hadn't given up on trying to find Kingdom one day. What a marvelous bottle design, straight from a world of (gothic) dreams. The scent has me puzzled though. It's very spicy indeed, the cumin impression is dominant (that would be the selery seeds and maybe the carnation) and certainly strong, but as a whole this fragrance is not an exercise of authority as soms kings (or queens) might display. On my skin Kingdom becomes a skin scent pretty quickly after applying, a very attractive one, that manages to be sexy (unisexy!) and discreet at the same time. Comparing it to other fragrances, the similarity to Eau D'Hermes is striking. Both share the cumin impression, without having it listed as an ingredient. Kingdom is more discreet, more elegant, Eau D'Hermes the bold, extroverted one. Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur comes close too.
Since I already have Al Oudh and Eau D'Hermes, my 100 ml. edp tester bottle of Kingdom (almost full) is up for swaps. Let me know if you're interested.

Alexander McQueen's Kingdom is a fairly controversial fragrance. You'll either love it or hate it. I don't think it's a particularly difficult fragrance to wear, although I will admit that the composition is unique.

In the initial stages, Kingdom smells quite fierce and animalic, with bold spices and a note not unlike the scent of pine needles. It's important to allow this fragrance to settle before jumping to any conclusions.

The heart is much smoother when compared to the explosive top notes. The celery seeds is what makes Kingdom such a fascinating blend. This accord is spicy and sensual rather than vegetal. Rhubarb, ginger, amber, neroli and carnation are quick to follow.

Kingdom reminds me of Le Labo's Oud 27 and Bazar by Christian Lacroix, two other controversial scents. I'm all for those spicy, resinous, somewhat animalic fragrances, so naturally Kingdom appeals to my tastes. Perhaps the only drawback is its strong projection. I wouldn't want to over-apply Kingdom, nor come within close range of someone who has mistakenly doused themselves in it.

I wish that Kingdom and My Queen were more accessible. The sudden death of Alexander McQueen has greatly affected this brand, which shouldn't be so because his fragrances should live on as a reminder of his fashion legacy. All serious parfumistas should try this fragrance at least once. It's a classic in its own right.

MrsLetterO
MrsLetterO

The thing about most great artists is that they learn their craft, but then they have the power to de-construct it. Lee McQueen was a Savile Row tailor long before he created the art/fashion theatrical crossover works we remember him for. All the skulls might seem passé now they are everywhere. Originality is mostly plagiarised, but not Kingdom. I was actually offended by it the first time I tried it. Would anyone wear it, could I ever wear this? But this work was directed by a man who made a dress for Bjork that she was actually sewn into (through the skin in Pagan Poetry). Unique and curried, like so many pub crawl nights out in the "Kingdom" itself, it's arterial bottle lies at the heart of our culture, even if we are afraid to admit it. Vic Chesnutt wrote " my heroes are all off in the great beyond". Sadly this becomes more true the older you get.

maajake
maajake

One of my favorites! the weirdest, sexiest and boldest perfumes I know!

Jackson Spines:
Try the EdT, it smells like the original EdP minus the cumin, which you obviously hate.

I personally love cumin and find the EdT to be boring without... but to each their own. :)

Jackson Spines
Jackson Spines

No, no, no! Why oh why did this perfume have to have a strange note that made the fragrance smell like bad body odor on my skin? I thought I would love this, or at least like it. This one really has me torn. I can smell something powdery and slightly sweet in it that I love. It "almost" has a classic feel to it. I say "almost" because I simply cannot get around the funky "unwashed, dirty body" smell. It ruins the entire scent on my skin. Such a shame. I wanted to love it but it turns out that I can't even like it. Unfortunately a "thumbs down" for me. The bottle is so cool looking and very unique but don't let that fool you and entice you. Make sure you test this one out before blind buying it. I'm sure glad I did!

azaro.nathariel
azaro.nathariel

McQueen himself said that this is an "Androgynous perfume", it does not have a gender, maybe that's why is so special. It's so spatial and potent. Men can wear it too...

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

Brilliantly complex and different.  I love how immediately unusual it is.  It is one of the only fragrances that I would consider to be absolutely, 100% for women. My brain strongly interprets this scent as “human female” on a very primal level. Fragrances that seek to replicate human smells have to tread very delicately, as there is always the possibility of tipping too far to the "human" category and being interpreted by the brain as disturbing or unpleasant.  I'm sure it's the cumin note that everyone has been mentioning.  The cumin in Kingdom skews a little bit to the sour side instead of the savory side, which is unexpected and quite daring.  Rhubarb provides a mellowly fruity, organic base for these unusual top notes.

Because I am consciously aware of this cumin note, I can recognize what an unusual and avant-garde composition Kingdom is.  However, I imagine many people confusing this scent with BO and/or Mexican food.  It's quite fascinating, and I absolutely love when a fragrance strikes me with something completely new and novel.  As a huge lover of Alexander McQueen, I'm so glad that this fragrance does him justice.

KateMkay

So, now I can complete my previous review after 2 month of using it regulary. I just want to say that, when you find "legend" like this, it is hard to be objective especially when you read all kind of subjective reviews with almost magical association with the juice.
So after some time, now that my nose feels more familiar with it I have it very clear for me. I still like it.
At fisrt, I felt a little bit insecure wearing it, because I wasn't sure how it smells on me but my sister encouraged me. A lot of people ( +25 at age) were asking me what I was wearing? And where can they buy it.
I personally prefer it at hot weather, because most of the oriental actually have better opening with the hit. When I tried it in at March it was still very cold and the perfume had very pepery feel to it,very animalic but plain comparing it to hot weather version.
Now, I smell grown up perfume, very sophisticated but different. Celery seeds are there but they are not so powerful anymore, it becames beautiful floral, rhubarb and jasmine refresh it a little bit, perfect to not make the perfume too heavy ,because the base is the bomb. I am very happy to have this.
By the way, it is unisex.
I hope it was usefull.

lenna.xplicit
lenna.xplicit

Kingdom is the best thing that has ever happened to me perfume-wise. It totally reprogrammed my perfume experience and I can't ever go back after trying this strong but tender, powdery but sharp scent. I am infatuated and have been crying my soul out since it was discontinued. Nothing has ever come close. One me, it was pure eroticism, bit never too harsh for daytime. It was ever-lingering, but not bothering. All I ever wanted from a perfume and now it's gone.

pickletastic
pickletastic

I so wish I had kept the bottle, am an idiot, such a stunning design, and so tactile... The bottle was by far the best thing about this perfume for me, as all I got was celery+rhubarb+cumin. I say 'all' I got - it was massively pungent and no complaints about sillage or longevity. Unfortunately the actual odour was just horrible on me - genuinely rank. I have disliked perfumes before [Casmir, Montaigne, New West, Ysatis, Coco Mademoiselle, Tresor off the top of my head were all 'how soon do I give it before I know I don't like this?'] but this is the first GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF! NO LIKEY! AARGH! ACK! And my skin eats perfumes so when I say that it is strong, believe me. This was a long-soak bath job to get rid completely - it gets into your pores and exudes in waves with body heat - and like po I too laundered my clothes immediatement. Impressive longevity.

Interesting the others picked up on the mediaeval associations this fragrance conjures up - it's not just indian food, there is an earthy, smoky, incense, woody aspect to it that suggests aged castles with oak beams scented with religious resin and wood fires - they just didn't appear on my skin, only when I smelt the potion on paper and fabric... Therefore I would use it rather like they do in the Jorvik Viking Centre at York to add atmosphere to the historical reconstruction installations that they have scented based upon archaeological research of the excavations. I'm not exactly sure when rhubarb and cumin hit our shores but I'm guessing post-Crusades trading routes. Although the Romans loved cumin, so perhaps from the Britannia conquest onwards? British Museum take note. In summary, I'd use this perfume for historical evocation purposes but never, ever as personal scent. TRY before you buy, peeps!

Jellybean
Jellybean

"That brand new smell", are my first olfactory thoughts on this. Besides that clean scent - "I just bought this", celery, rhubarb and ginger are subtle players in here as well with airy spiciness. It's almost like unconventional perfume, definitely unisex, however not too masculine. It's quite pleasant when you want to smell neutral. It has the same base as "My Queen" minus the powder off course.
Grown up scent for day or night, lasts quite a while, all day so to say, and it is close to the skin.
Reading some of the reviews I was dreading that I purchased a man-smelling perfume, but it's nothing like that. It is one of those unique scents worth having and wearing because it's not commonly found. Smelling great and different that's all it's about :)

KateMkay

I got this recently. I just want to say that I never expected to get this perfum, because it is so expensive and rare to find, I would never buy it on internet because it is full of fakes.
But this week, one perfume shop was closing because of crisis and I just was walking near.. .They were selling everything, even testers. So, of course I was not wasting such an opportunity to buy some treat for myself and 5 minutes later l saw this. Full bottle with super price. I couldn´t be happier. I didn't even tested this, I just get it. I thought, if I am not going to like it I will sell it. HA HA NEVER EVER!
I understand if someone doesn´t like it, because it is so different from everything I have tried. I can´t even tell, if I like it but this is a master piece not that crapy sweety fruity florals.
This is what body after sex smells to me. On my skin this one is very animalic. The strongest notes to my noose are celerry seeds and ginger, also my favorite rhubarb. I can smell musc but it is not so strong.
Definetly night time perfume. I don´t like to sujest age or dress code for perfume, but shame on you if you are not wearing something beautiful with this perfume. I totally think this would work for men too.
The bottle itself is gorgeous.
I will try to complete the review after more time using this one.

Paraluman
Paraluman

This is Lestat translated into fragrance.:)

the strong cumin note brings to mind the odorous body of his new victim before he feasts on him.. the sweat trickling down the neck of the scoundrel.. as his fangs break the skin.. you get a slightly salty faint metallic scent like warm blood on a cold hostile night.

as he moves swiftly away from the reeking victim, away from his own monstrosity.. he walks the street of new orleans as if he's one of them.. half hiding, ever trying.. knowing he could never have a cup of coffee.. or warmth.. or scent.. this is how his story smells like to me.. the drydown especially :) powdery citrusses that's neither warm nor fresh with faint graveyard flowers.. melancholic and supernatural. Beautiful but not human. :)

Kalina123
Kalina123

There is not and never will be another scent like this one! It is unique like AQ himself.

It smells like passion, mad love, lust and desire. Nothing can match it, no one can recreate it!

I have half of a bottle left and I'm keeping it like a previous possession :) So sad that the house of AQ decided to discontinued this fragrance but they've decided to continue by producing this sad, generic line of clothes using his name...

po
po

I don't really like to write negative reviews but this time I had to.
I rarely have that strong reaction to a perfume, so here it goes...

I don't get body odor from Kingdom.
Had a sample, felt brave and sprayed a good few squirts. To me it's just celery seeds and rhubarb. Spicy and well... spicy. But not the attractive warming way. Sharp bold bitter cumin.
Just waited and let it develop to give a fair chance.
Two hours later it was about the same. I really had two choices: take a bath (twice) or cut my right arm. And washed the clothes I was wearing immediately since it lingered everywhere and drove me crazy.
Yes, I hated Kingdom that much.

It's just not my taste at all. But it was to be expected since I don't normally enjoy celery seeds or rhubarb.

If you're not too fond of them too, beware...

Nicole<3
Nicole<3

lust

Mila Pulina
Mila Pulina

I loved it - it was hardly to get in my country and I was so proud of having it. Can you still buy it - I have not seen it for ages! Miss it...and also Alexander McQueen himself.

soulflwr
soulflwr

Oh my this one is nice!

When I first heard about this fragrance when browsing through fragantica, it had already been discontinued for a while, but the notes where so strange, I just had to at least smell it. Well, I finally got my hands on a sample (thank you OlfractalInfemme!) and now I would love to get my hands on a full bottle for my collection.

Smelling it from it's container I was a bit afraid because it smelled rather culinary, and pungent. But I put on my big girl panties and sprayed my wrist and first impression? Ew. However, I didn't scrub it off right away because there was something about it that intrigued me.

After some time it settled down and wow. I completely understand why those weird top notes are necessary, because when they evaporate, and the left over traces settle into the base it creates something so so sensual. Now don't be confused, it's not a sexy perfume, it's sensual bordering on erotic.

What came to mind for me were those moments right after a woman comes home from a cold, but elegant night out. She's already undressed and sitting on the edge of the bed in her underwear taking off her stockings. This perfume is like women's underwear, not overtly sexy lingerie, but more like a nude colored bra and panty set.

It's the pure sensuality of a woman just because she's a woman. I think some men will know what I'm talking about. It's like what a funny older woman said to me once, "when your the only naked woman in the room, that man ain't looking for perfect, all he cares about is there's a naked woman in the room!" The nature of a woman is erotic, we're made with an artists brush and no matter what we think we look like, we still hold a certain mesmerizing power over our wonderful male counterparts. A curiosity that they want to understand, conquer, consume.

This is the essence of this fragrance to me. It's a tribute to a woman's inherent sensuality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What does it smell like?

Well, it's hard for me to describe, but I do smell a bit of Dune in here and during the middle notes I get a hint of Donna Karan Gold. If you are a person who love fragrances like Coco, Shalimar, Opium, ect.. You should give this one a try. It's a shame that fragrances only have but so long to gain interest because if this were released today, I think it would have a good following. Especially with so many perfumistas, and niche perfumeries looking to make/experience something different.

This one really is a gem. :)

johngreenink
johngreenink

I may have a very different take on Kingdom than others. A friend sent me a sample when I'd asked for some great 'rose' perfumes. She chose some excellent ones for me, and this was one of them. I remember sniffing the sample and liking it, and put it away for a while. Coming back to it now, I'm surprised at how sophisticated and sublime this creation is. Kingdom manages to take an unusual palette of raw ingredients and arrange them into a pyramid of beautiful proportions. All the notes seem equally weighted, the spices are green and raw, the fruits are crunchy and wet, the flowers are small and dewy. I would not call Kingdom carnal or erotic. It's far more tightly constructed than that. It has a heart of rose which is beautifully surrounded by walls of mixed organics which seem suspended in the air. Not linear, not horizontal, but a solid of many tiny parts.

I can't help but think of three dimensional space when smelling this scent. It has that kind of aura and projection. My sample is of the eau de parfum, which has great longevity and moderate/wide silage.

Although this could easily be worn by a man, I can understand why McQueen created this for women. I think his vision was for something truly new, but extremely well-grounded that a woman could wear just about anywhere. Perhaps the world hasn't quite caught up to Kingdom, but it's getting closer.

crazyaboutlairderien
crazyaboutlairderien

Ah, Kingdom...
I used to wear it often in my late twenties early thirties.
Have worn in yesterday after a 5+ year hiatus.

(I'm still not very good at describing fragrances/dissecting notes etc, so bear with me plz)

Where to start...?

I'd say somthing like this: Do you like L'Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh but find it a bit much? Do you like a seductive feminine fragrance but not the all white flowers romantic good girl kind?
Do you like bold fragrances but often find yourself thinking "this is a bit too perfumey"?

For a true pitch black goth smell I would turn to the likes of for example something by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.

Kingdom is, to my nose and opinion, somewhere in the middle of frags with a dark/goth like feel, a bit more feminine/sophisticated/perfumey (take your pick) frags like Coco Chanel or Dolce Vita Dior or Soir de Paris Bourjois or Feminité du Bois Serge Lutens (in feel, not in smell) and the earlier mentioned Al Oudh by L'AP.

I'd choose Al Oudh for a quiet evening at home or going out for a walk in nature, and I'd choose Kingdom when I wear all black with red lipstick, high heels, Loads of silver jewelry, heading downtown to paint it red.

Kingdom makes me feel like one strong and foxy lady who is not in the mood for being shy or modest about feeling that way :D

kirtylou
kirtylou

This is an interesting perfume that I reserve for cold days and smoky bars at night. When I first spray this perfume, as many others have noted, the top note smells pretty gross. I was really grossed out the first time I sprayed it and smelled something that reminded me of body odor and urine. However, it dries down into something quite nice - spicy, dark, mysterious. The dry-down reminds me of Hypnotic Poison minus the play-dough and vanilla (the former of which makes me almost never want to wear HP). This is a special perfume that I would never wear casually or on a hot day.

*Edit - I wore this to a masquerade at a goth club last night and it was absolutely perfect for such an occasion. Dark, sensual, unusual, bold, gorgeous. It was one of the few scents that was able to cut through the smoke and insense burning in there.

jtd
jtd

I pulled out my sample of the discontinued (?) Kingdom edp with the thought that I’d single it out in my general complaint of the misuse of cumin to attempt to recreate animalic notes. When cumin is used to imply animalic notes, it typically doesn’t work, smells fake and makes the perfume seem cheap. I can’t say that Kingdom entirely escapes this trap. My complaint isn’t that the cumin is strong, but that it doesn’t actually recreate the animalic, and therefore, seen simply as a heavy spice note, is imbalanced and out of place. As I revisit Kingdom, I still find that a spurious note sinks the fragrance, but its not the huge cumin topnote. The real culprit is the mushy-musky drydown that seems like a thwarted attempt to emulate sandalwood.

Francis Kurkjian’s Lumière Noire pour Homme made me rethink the use of cumin. It pairs a roasted cumin scent with rose and recreates the feel if not the exact scent of the rose chypres of the 1970s-1980s. Kingdom reads more as an oriental than a nouvelle chypre, but both show that cumin is more effective as a patchouli adjunct than as a castoreum/civet/musk parallel.

Selina420
Selina420

Great non niche scent. Sadly discontinued, probably because its too weird for the mainstream. Smoky, spicy/peppery and musky. If you like the popular cupcake teen scents then this is not for you -this is erotic and dark. On my skin I'm less aware of citrus or floral notes as others have been. For me its the spices (ginger, pepper), smoke, woody, musk, cumin and a sense of an almost Gourmand, bitter chocolatey note.

This strangely reminded me of Arquiste's Anima Dulcis. They're quite different -yet strangely related distant cousins- Anima Dulcis being a Gourmand scent, but that peppery smoky dry undertone is oddly similar (although smoother with Kingdom). And initially I do notice a similar Gourmand note from Kingdom that reminds me of that dark chocolate you find in the Arquiste creation. Anima Dulcis has a much stronger silage and better longevity -on me at least, but i find Anima Dulcis tickles/bothers my nose in a way that Kingdom, with its creamy smoothness, doesn't.

I still do prefer Kingdom and am very glad to have a bottle. Such a shame there is no more..

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I won't say I don't like this, I will say it doesn't like me. I'm so glad I got a sample size instead of my usual blind 3.4 oz bottle! I wore it and my tongue started to tingle. It seemed very peppery, though I don't see pepper in the notes. I have worn Lush's Ginger, without any problem, so I don't think that was the culprit. I tried to keep it on, but just felt vaguely ill until I scrubbed it off.

I can see how this could be sexy, but just not for me.

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

nothing but cumin.
interesting that it's not listed as a note.
i smelled nothing but cumin and some indole.

akats
akats

When I first tested it I thought it was really nice, but as the lovely citrusy opening vanished, what was left was a horrible synthetic harsh smell. This weird scent remained unchanged untill the end many hours after... Heart and base notes smell almost the same. There's nothing soft, femminine, oriental. There's nothing bitter chypre either. What a strange thing and what a pitty for such great top notes. You can easily be carried away when sniffing it at first and be very dissapointed afterwards.

Ponyfields
Ponyfields

Strong, dirty and quite masculine. This is not your average designer name cash-in perfume. It's very grown up, and not at all what I was expecting. I'm quite tempted to find myself a bottle of this for special occasions.

The celery and rhubarb are the main notes for me. It's sharp on my skin, with almost no warmth to it. All the scents seem to clash together wonderfully; sometimes this is almost peppery.

Great lasting power and sillage too. Boyfriend says it smells like a man's fragrance, but I think his sense of smell has been permanently damaged by Flowerbomb.

Edit: The more I wear this the more I love it. If anyone has a bottle of this up for grabs, please let me know.

raverdudes

Hey Scribs!! I'm so glad you're happy with your perfume! I told you it was a very heavy thing and you should go easy on it. The bottle is beautiful indeed. What a great coincidence we're both in the same country! (Lucky you, huh?). Anyway, enjoy!

BTW, I still have two 100 ml bottles. AGAIN, anyone interested, please e-mail me at Kenny.Cisneros@gmail.com

scribs

i just got mine YESTERDAY (thank u kenny)! i had to get it , i had never seen such polarizing reviews on any other perfume and i have to say it was well worth it. i totally understand what people where saying when they mentioned body odor scent, the perfume definitely has a human smell and an AMAZING longevity, i spritzed ONE spray yesterday at 4pm and i can still smell it today at 10am 18+ hours. huge compliment getter , as soon as i walked into class people went crazy over the scent and the bottle. i give it a 10 o.o 10 , best purchase ive ever made

raverdudes

If anyone is interested in this, I have three 100ml eau de parfum bottles, boxed, unused. My e-mail is Kenny.Cisneros@gmail.com

Edit (11/22/12): I still have two bottles left.

Mr Monroe
Mr Monroe

Kingdom

WOW!!! I bought this fragrance a few days after hearing the Death of the Great Alexander McQueen. I had heard alot about this fragrance but was never able to find it and the prices on ebay were and still are unreasonable and ridiculous. But when I found the fragrance, I bought it blindly and after having a shower at Home, I unboxed it and I sprayed it on to my skin and all of a sudden I was living in another time. A time of Great Kingdoms and Grand castles where women were Innocent Princesses and Men were Valiant Knights. But in this perfect Kingdom; evil lurks through the dark corridors and through the dark cold shadows of the night. I felt lustful, I felt dangerous and I felt like a Gothic Queen when I wore this fragrance for the first time. The scent in itself is extremely powerful, which for me makes it hard to wear because I just can't imagine a place where I could wear this fragrance without offending anyone. You definetly pick up that heavy spiciness, its very earthy and herbal and very diffeent. There are moments where it takes on a Body-Odour sort of quality which for me seems quite Erotic and Intimate. It's like the after smell of very hot, dirty sex performed in a field of flowers. For me there isn't much seperation between the notes, everything seems to be moulding with one another.

Kingdom is very dark, it's dangerous, powerful and borderline demonic. AND I LOVE IT.

Projection: 10/10

cedriceccentric
cedriceccentric

Dior Dune + body odor (cumin) = Kingdom. Just the right balance between commercial and strange. The beautiful constructivist bottle reminds me of a heart-shaped African Kwele mask. Too bad it was discontinued.

I think some designer would be better of to go niche, than commercial with there fragrances licenses/distribution. After all, while as a luxury brand Alexander McQueen is quite famous, it is not as famous as mainstream designer brands like say Ralph Lauren. Therefor I think a fragrance like Kingdom would have find a better audience with a more selected distribution. Not every fragrance needs to make $100million in sales in it's first year.
Then there are designer that are not understood by their licensee: take for example Paul Smith. InterParfums doesn't understand the quirkiness of the brand. He would be better off with a line like Comme des Garçons or even a collaboration with L'Artisan Parfumeur.

kkw80
kkw80

I love this. It was my signature scent for a while. Now I'm trying not to use it too much since it's discontinued and bottles on e-bay are extortionately priced.

Kingdom is sensual, spicy and bold. In my mind unique. It's not a nauseatingly sweet or a (mock) cheerful fruity/floral fragrance. Neither is it an old fashioned lady fragrance. It's very modern, but deliciously sensual, feminine and strong.

Just can't understand how this was discontinued. Also baffled about how Luca Turin didn't give this more stars..

balzac
balzac

The beginning and initial spray can cause turmoil, even well into the middle. I wouldn't suggest this to be sprayed loud. I think it should be worn as a very up close and personal scent. It's intimate.

It is self-indulgent, BOLD and naughty, but not dirty. It's a strong Euro scent. The rose in the Kingdom sweetens and doesn't allow the rhubarb to completely dominate. I smell the flowers very little as they are blended meticulously... but... stop and smell the Rose. The true pink rose gives it just the right amount of sweet, lending itself to an elegant, smart fem fatale that can be dangerous. The ginger in this cuts nicely and adds a slightly sharp edge to keep you on your toes. I'd also suggest men to wear this. There's just enough bite and roughness about it, but not harshness. on complete dry down it has a proper touch of musky masculine strength. So you're secured. with wearing it

For me, it's fem fatale that's definitely got the backing she needs...and
All of the security that's needed is protecting this Kingdom by Alexander McQueen. He left a gem.

No over spray. Seriously, it can be lethal...you could get arrested.
*silliage 4/10
*projection minimal after hours

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Wow, hard to believe at one time there was a mainstream department store release this cool, from designer to packaging to the scent itself. It is frightfully, delightfully heavy, a regular brick of fragrance, and as such there is virtually no note separation. I do not mind this. The famed cumin is there in spades, bolstered by a bunch of flowers mashed together and a big woody base. It's curried Dune, but better. People love it on me- I've never gotten such compliments and positive attention from women as I did when I went four days without bathing but continually hosed myself in Kingdom. A beautiful, transgressive marvel. I'm unsure why they haven't re-released it to cash in on posthumous McQueen mania-it has a hugely devoted following and they could've sold gallons of it in the gift shop at that exhibit if they had simply labeled it a men's or unisex scent.

nikitajade
nikitajade

Recently I bought a sample of this perfume. I was so excited, the notes sounded wonderful...then I sprayed it. First thought, cheap 80s Designer Imposter. Then the top notes dried, I anxiously waited...for gas station soap smell. Supreme let down. I'm so glad I didn't buy a large bottle, because I would have a very expensive knick knack now.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

Wel, it's very expensive but the smell is very generic floral. Nothing special. I was expecting magic to come out of that bottle but all I got was an optical illusion. Skip

brewelexa
brewelexa

The kind of fragrance that is beyond shared because it seems to transcend sexual boundaries, preferences, genders, and like most beloved Alexander McQueen celebrators, one either loves his creations or they just can't get into it.

At first, it smells of European body odor. There's a sexiness to that and I mean it in a very positive way.

Then, the drydown...goodness, it's divine! Absolutely divine, with so much depth, character, facets like a diamond, reflective, and super sensual.

I know...for some, Kingdom is either loved or hated. But when you're an Alexander McQueen fan, remembered how gorgeous his ready to wear resembled that of couture, you will then be immersed into the imaginarium of Mr. McQueen and his inspirados.

Love, love, love this fragrance. I barely use it now. I'd purchased it when he was still alive. Also, the cosmetic collection he co-op'd with for MAC.

Kingdom is for the royalty in all with a beating heart full of live and zeal!

asmere
asmere

Most gorgeous smell of all !! Kingdom rules ! At times I've tryed to wear others and on many occasions my friends have commented ( where is your gorgeous smell ) I don't like this new one ! Please go back to Kingdom! Maybe it doesnt suit others but it suits ME!

Am I the only one who thought that a fragrance with the name KINGDOM would be intended for men? Am I the only one for whom this odd assortment of oriental notes ends by smelling like a reduction of redwood oil in the drydown? Honestly, this is one of the strangest creations I've ever sniffed! How do I get a woody-spicy perfume from an assortment of notes NONE of which is wood?

The ever-so-brief citrus opening of KINGDOM holds promise, but what happens next is an inexorable march to a pseudo-wood oil drydown, which becomes clunkier and woodier over time. I've worn this composition a few times, with the same final effect: the woodiest fragrance I've ever worn--yet it contains no wood whatsoever?! If the categorization of perfumes into feminine and masculine makes any sense at all, KINGDOM really is destined for men, it seems to me.

I am not put off, as are some, by what they are identifying as cumin in this composition, for in my case everything blends with everything else: celery seed, oakmoss, rhubarb, mint, carnation--you name it, it appears to be in here--as though mashed together with a mortar and pestle to produce something that is not in here at all! Weird, weird, weird.

Although I do believe that this composition is unique, when I put it on I find myself wondering: 1) when will the wood chips stop flying into my face? 2) can I actually wear this anywhere? 3) wouldn't this be a nice time for a bath?

For the record: this smells *nothing* like DUNE to me.

Bandit

Sorry, that I have to say that, but there is nothing like Kingdom on earth, I'm afraid.

juliaice
juliaice

This is my absolute favorite perfume!! I'm choked that is discontinued!! Could someone please tell me of some perfumes that are like this? I love the passionate and animalistic dirty-ness of it!

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

ooooooh, I'm so mad at myself for not snatching up a bottle when it was a less expensive ':/

erilika
erilika

Colder days are here so I took out Kingdom and wore it today. Years later it still amazes me with its wild mixture of smells, I always find Kingdom a bit unruly and uncivilized (if a perfume can be described this way) and I enjoy it. A strange beauty .

A complete, well-done job from opening to drydown.

id
id

Celery and musk at the opening. It smells special and unique, not loud (I expected it to have a huge sillage but it didn't happen) and quite linear on my skin. Nonetheless, sophisticated and unusual (I mean original) scent for sure. Exceptional, but still worth trying and testing before you buy. Unforgettable scent. I am pretty sure you have never smelled anything like this.
P. S. As the years go by there is still nothing like this.

Seraphic
Seraphic

At first there is a metallic smell to it in the top notes that bothers me, but I decided to wait for it to dry down. The mid notes were nice because it's what I hoped Shalimar would smell like on me as that one turns so spicy but this one is just the right amount. The base notes though, my goodness... I have no words to explain how beautiful this smells. I sprayed it on at the beginning of a movie and by the end I was too distracted by the wonderful smell of my wrists.

Only problem is it stays VERY close to the skin.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

The bottle is just stunning, and I wanted this one so much just because of the looks! Now talk about the smell...well, in the edp version, on my skin, it smells like body odor... I mean sweaty, full of pheromones, body odor. I don't know where all those citrucy notes mentioned on top are, or the flowers. I smell saffron, in large doses, along with a mixture of unrecognizable spices, all entangled to create a very very warm effect. It is also possible that I am affected by the color of the glass, but this also smells like blood with a metallic undertone.
It stays close to skin and doesn't project far, at least on me. If I was to compare it to something else, I would say this reminds of of Eau emotionelle from Agent Provocateur, in a more raw version, or Oriental Lumpur from Les Nereides soften up and more feminine....
And if everything I said so far makes it look like this isn't a fantastic scent, well, please believe me, it is! Original, sexy and amazing, in the right circumstances! But I wouldn't dare wearing it in church, office, or school. Keeper for me!!!

scribs

can this be considered a UNISEX FRAGRANCE? cuz it bothers me that Lee Mcqueen never took out a masculine fragrance...and NOW he is deceased so theres no chance in hell... and this one looks interesting and rar so id love to have it

amanda0901
amanda0901

This just doesn't suit me at all, which is a real shame - it smells divine in the bottle. On me? Think Old Spice!

I think, I'm in love.

Tusnelda
Tusnelda

I can't make up my mind about this one. Love the bottle though!

EDIT: I still love the bottle and on a rational/intellectual level I love the perfume too for its bravery and unusualness. It is brilliantly done. And I love Alexander McQueen. However, I simply can't wear it (but it does last forever on me). It is too dark, too sexy and too much for me, but I can see the dangerous, ravenhaired woman that fits the perfume in my minds eye. Dita von Teese perhaps?
I so wanted to love it, but I am not Ms. von Teese, so...up for swap it goes. May someone else give it a loving home.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Erotic and carnal; rather dry--celery seed and rhubarb play like the coriander and pepper in The Iceberg Fragrance to open. A little dirty heat, raw enough to make you grit your teeth. However, The Iceberg Fragrance transforms into something aloof and femininely alluring; Kingdom traverses into another realm entirely.

Citrus brings in a subtle, sweet pulp and mint breathes a little life into the dryness. Ginger is clarifying in the way that strips away inhibition and apprehension.

The warm amber and subtle musk base is scratched coarsely with jasmine and rose.

Kingdom lies on either extreme of being incredibly primal or something entirely alien and psychic--in any event, it takes away the human nature to be emotive and is seemingly very physically reactive and kinetic.

Kingdom is a challenging fragrance I couldn't wear easily or often, but it seems to work really well in solitude when I'm feeling energetic, powerful and productive. And yes, I love it--will be looking for a bottle of this for sure.

reignydaze
reignydaze

I really have tried to like this fragrance, I have tried time and time again but the heavy handed cumin just doesnt work for me........B.O. There iv said it, not nice fresh sweat but week old arm pits. A stunning bottle though.

e9rul7
e9rul7

the sexiest perfume ever!!! it amazing!!!! a magic potion!!!!!!!! soooo seductive :)))) definitely, i love it!!!!

Lassie
Lassie

Well, I seem to be on a negative streak, but I can't wear this, so I guess I'm not strong, sexy, or dangerous enough, lol! On another site, I read a description saying it smells like a hooker holding some red roses while eating a burrito. No, not for me. I will certainly give the company props for trying out something different, and if you can wear it, good! But please, don't wear it in the summer, people will faint all around you, lol.

The description sounded so nice but when I finally could test-spray it, I was disappointed. This wasn't what I expected an oriental to be. I found this scent hard to tolerate.

Killercolours
Killercolours

I were beyond excited when I got my bottle in the mail. I had read these amazing reviews (both good and bad) and I just couldn't keep myself from paying an almost too good amount of money to get my hands on it.

On my skin it starts off awful. I can't be any kinder with it. I spray it on, hold my breath and wave my arms around to get through the worst part. I absolutely get the sweat that people are talking about, sharp and vulgar.

After a couple of minutes the BO scent calms down and disappears (thank you) and turns into this warm, deep, calming, romantic, soft, brave (I can go on for ages) scent that's so intoxicating it's hard to believe that human hands really created it. Yeah I know, big words, but those of you who share my love for it understand exactly what I mean. So well balanced and magic, completely androgynous and medieval in a way.

Imagine an old medieval castle hallway with dusty deep red velvet curtains, wooden flor, suits of armor lined up along the walls and red roses in a vase. A hallway where the air has been still for decades. A beautiful, melancholic mourning in a way. Alexander McQueen Kingdom is a universe of its own, strong and deep with a fragile, beautiful core. A hard one to put a finger on, but an easy one to understand.

glitterlust

Review of Parfum edition (with wrap around metal case)

What a stunning piece of design but the quality of the materials is dubious.

The spritzer doesn't really spray, just oozes. It soon filled up the metal casing and dissolved the glue so I can now pop the glass out. This makes application a lot easier.

It smells as beautiful as always and does last for days. I would not recommend forking out big bucks for this one as it is so impractical but it does look beautiful wrapped up in its armour.

suile
suile

Everything's already been said, but I was crazy about this one and bought every product and flanker and special edition ever made, I think, and all the empties are on a special shelf in my bathroom. The empty roll-on still smells exactly as it did on the day it was opened several years ago. It wasn't love at first sniff, but I'd put it in my all time top ten now.

To my nose this perfume is quite horrible. To be honest, for me it is like the odor of pure sweat. This must the combination of Cumarine + Celery, I normally love Cumin and Cumarine notes, but in combination with so many exceptional notes as Celery and Rhubarb, it is just too out there.
I do not think this perfume to be in balance either. Although Cavallier has ALWAYS been one of my favorite noses, probably even my number 1, this perfume will not be entering my collection.

LIN
LIN

What a piece of art!
I wanted to try this intriging perfume for such a long time, reading all the reviews and interesting myself more & more with this Mysterious perfume...
Well, now i got a chance to sniff it finally!!!
And i have to say: it's not masculine like a lot of the reviews here say, it's not that dark either..for me it's more about sex appeal and hedonism! it's very uniqe, a little bit sweet, a little woody, a little warm... it's a little bit from everything you can imagine.
And it's true what they say: you're either going to adore it, or you're going to hate it!
I haven't decided yet, but it's Definitely
a "must to try " for every confident woman!

glitterlust

I had the plastic bobble 25ml edition of this years ago and wasn't that impressed. It seemed like a watered down version of the original so I ended up giving it away. I have recently given this one another go in it's original metal/glass version.

This is one of my favourite perfumes and probably the most masculine women's scent I'd tried. All the notes work perfectly together.

There is a tiny sparkle from the citrus to begin with but the flowers and woods soon take over. The rose and jasmin are clean and slightly sweet but ultimately the wood dries this out and stops this from becoming cloying.

It lasts and lasts and fills up the room around you. This stands out as one of the most momentous perfumes in recent history and I'm thrilled to drench myself in it once more.

MissH
MissH

A masterpiece!

Alexander McQueen's creativity & brilliance has always fascinated me & this mysterious fragrance did not let me down.It's definitely not what I was expecting but I should know to expect the unexpected from McQueen.

An androgynous juice! It's dense,crisp,dreamy,floral & spicy. It soothes the senses with enough punch to make a statement.

I didn't find it overly dark. Not in a lost in the woods at midnight dark but rather an eyes shut welcoming darkness.

RenaissanceGyrl
RenaissanceGyrl

One of the most intoxicating fragrances I have ever worn...and one of the coolest bottles. I am a gypset chameleon, and this fragrance fully embodies my aura.

NNN
NNN

My mom got Kingdom as a gift, and being fond of very sweet and strong perfumes (the exactly opposite of me), she gave me her bottle.
I must say that it wasn't love at first sniff, it seemed quite masculine to me.
But after a few minutes, the fragrance turned out so mysterious, spicy and dark that I fell in love.
This is a sexy and feminine fragrance, but not in a obvious way. This is not the femme fatale in her little black dress, with perfect features and a sweet smell.
The woman who wears this perfume is unique and not afraid of what people gonna think about her. She owns her world, her kingdom.

Pasionaria
Pasionaria

Romantic, chic and brilliant! I like it!

CocoKat
CocoKat

I could not get past the opening. A combination of masculine BO and poop. I wonder if there is an inside joke here in the shape of the bottle. All I can think of is a bottom...fitting.

naheed
naheed

Dark and wonderful! Kingdom reminds my deo spray from Limara line which I used to wear it in my teens.

It starts off beautifully like you mix the bitterness from the peel of citrus, add a hint of tanginess from the pulp and then sprinkle neroli with a generous hand.

The heart settles into a bouquet of flowers sprayed with the accord of spices and just I want to sniff my wrist everytime I get it close to my nose. After some moment, a slight bitterness of the sparkle also joins in to make it dark and memorable.

And it's time for the base where top and middle notes will settle and play symphony of notes. I get the echo of vanilla every now and then and it's probably due to amber which, itself is an accord so it's obvious to get the vanilla note here, along with this, I get oak moss really well and musk is really close to my skin. So sexy and elegant.

I must say Jacques Cavilliar must have in mind that how the air of Asia smells and then created Kingdom. It's very oriental floral with a hint of spice.

It's suitable for women aged from 25 and above. Longevity is great and the sillage is good.

Thank you system_d for such a wonderful sample.

kikikikris
kikikikris

Great creation. Daring? Yes. Unique? Of course! The opening is heavenly cumin, the most spicy I've ever tried on ^ ^. The drydown is sort of animalistic, dark, werewolve-like. I love the theme of Kingdom in general. But, and it's a big BUT here, I can't actually bring myself to wear it since on me, it reminds me the smell of a colleague I dislike (him, not the smell) and he doesn't even wear Kingdom. What a pity!!

Got a purse spray. I still go back to it now and then, just to sniff my lovely cumin top note.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

I always thought I could buy any creation of Jacques Cavallier in dark but when I saw Kingdon reviews and notes description, a warning light came on :-)
People seem to have so mixed feeelings about it!
I should have had more faith in Mr Cavallier as Kingdom is an OHHH SO DARK & SEXY fragrance!
I must say it is definitely for brave ladies, self confident and aware of their sex appeal!
Kingdom is rich, intoxicating, with a little green note lingering in the background of an oriental floral powerful sillage!
Kingdom, in my opinion, may also appeal the masculine part of our population :-) as it is designed to be strong and dark, it is nearly on the borderline between feminine and masculine worlds :-)
Gosh, I am so wearing it this winter!
I wouldn't recommend wearing at hot weather unless your mother in law is coming with a visit :-)
Brilliant creation!
Hats off for Mr Cavallier!

cryman41
cryman41

It's really a powerful perfume...I've been astonished since I've proved it for the first time

elusivek
elusivek

This is pretty unique. Unlike others, I had no issues with the opening. It was refreshing and herbal. Then I got a bit of tartness and spice. I've never experienced anything quite like this. Perhaps it is the celery that gives it such an usual scent. Someone mentioned cumin, although that's not listed perhaps that may be it too.

Once it settles more I get the more rounded citrus with an earthy (patchouli?) element.

Kingdom is so hard to pinpoint! It's citrusy but not sweet, it's tangy but not bitter, it's fresh but in a green way without being grassy, it's has depth but no woods, it's got a dark edge while still having the pristine floral. It's really quite perplexing!! Which of course just adds to the whole mystique.

Definitely not for the faint of heart! Dark, daring and audacious!!

adele l
adele l

This does remind me of boudoir by vw but less powdery. It's really different- swear I can catch a hint of celery. There is definitely citrus, but not the fresh and zesty kind. It might be a little too strange for me though! Call it a 'I'm feeling brave and experimental' type of perfume.

I thought I would love this, because the Oriental Spicy category is my favorite category......but nooooo....

felineluvr
felineluvr

I truly had high hopes for this one and I do love orientals in general, but to me the dreaded b.o. (cumin) note does this one in. Apparently, this is a love it or hate it fragrance and I truly hate it. I do love My Queen though! Also, Alexander McQueen was a truly spectacular and innovative designer. R.I.P.

nyoka
nyoka

Better let it warm up!!!!First whiff stinks to high heaven.VERY quickly tho,it transports u to medieval times,horses with knights,lances meat pies being sold!It is strong,sexy,different and beautiful

guest_blck
guest_blck

I got this a few years back as a birthday gift and it's still sitting on my dressing table nearly finished. I wore it for a while but stopped because I found it too strong, even maybe overpowering. I think a perfume should say a thing or two about you but at the time i thought is said nothing about me. But now grown up, i might revisit this. Beware, this is certainly for the bold sexy woman who is not afraid to stand out.

Dark Curls
Dark Curls

O.M.G. I am sooo taken by this perfume! I got m bottle today and am sooo grateful to have it! This is my type of scent all around the board. Very spicy, sensual, sexy, even animalistic! It makes me want to pounce like a purring, dangerous, grown up sex kitten. Something in this reminds me of Boudoir which drives my fiance wild. This is easily my new signature scent!!! I must have this always going forward. Alexander Mcqueen may you rest in peace, you were a genius.

eilismaireg

guest Nadia you were asking what is similar to this? I think Theo Fennell EDP and Femme Rochas are both very similar and worth trying.

Ouch!
Ouch!

This is a very classy smelling perfume that is mainly dominated by the more orangey aspects in the opening. The Neroli, Mandarin, Orange & Bergamot take the lead and behind that there is a tangy..kind of sharp perfumey smell that smells quite refined. Like something I've smelled before. Really liking this but I think it could be off putting to someone who just sprays this and doesn't give it a chance to warm up.

Once it's dry a bit more, the orange balances out with the other notes in the perfume. This one is so beatuifully blended that it's hard to pick out individual things. In the air around you it's just...gooood! And a bit different. It smells expensive. I don't really know how to describe the rest of it. I spose you'll just have to try it.

For the record, I LOVE the bottle too. So unusual.

sleepyrita
sleepyrita

We will be missing you, Alexander McQueen. You created a such wonderful woody perfume which combines mannish and feminine. RIP!

eilismaireg

Sorry to hear it's being discontinued as I really loved it, however I have found that Femme by Rochas has a similar smell though not so modern or cumin heavy - give it a try as I'm a femme convert now. A seriously sexy scent though- have had male comments!

guest_agentkitsune
guest_agentkitsune

Wow, all of these reviews are so weird. I must be have a different chemical composition about me. My favorite all time perfume. I get compliments on it all the time. It's very sensual, a bit androgynous. Buy the sample first I guess. I definitely recommend it though.

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

Well, I am a bit disappointed as I expected something more than the initial lemon blast and the peppery spices in the drydown. I guess it just doesn't work with my skin type. Too much cumin and carnations to match my taste. Some people suggested that I should try Kingdom as I love Samsara but they don't have much in common - Kingdom lacks the thick and sweet woody notes of Samsara, though I admit it has some faint similarities to Samsara Shine in the drydown. Definitely try before buying!

guest_Nadia
guest_Nadia

Hello All, completely devastated they are no longer making Kingdom and i am on my last bottle - anybody know of a similar smell - would love to know thanks

Sassy1
Sassy1

Lemons then a little rose then alot of celery and finally incense. The top reminds me of Trouble by Boucheron but with a slightly lighter lemon and a much nicer drydown. I'm a little puzzled though, as to why would a woman want to smell like this? It's not feminine or pretty by any means, just dark and unusual. Oddly, I find myself drawn back to sniff again, but not sure why. It's definately not something I would ever wear so I'll use up what I have and look forward to My Queen.

lucifera
lucifera

its nice but it also has a little eeh..
dirty daiper smell too lol! very weird

Oh Sugar
Oh Sugar

Very "royal" I must say! Unusual, sophisticated, intriguing. Woody but not annoying. Not very easy to wear I suppose, but it surely is beautiful. Somehow it reminds me of fairytales, as if the bottle was the poisoned apple that the witch gave to Snow White... I can also imagine Queen of Hearts wearing this!

menz
menz

bold elegance fragrance, powerful like but not smell as Maurossia lasting well but unfortunatly has difficult bottle shape which most annoying

Taxidermy
Taxidermy

(about the EdP) I don't find it sweaty or dirty. Warm, rich, very woody, spicy and very long lasting fragrance. Unusual, but in a non-aggressive way for sure. Very similar to Dune (except Dune's top notes), just deeper and darker. Love them both, but prefer Kingdom. These cumin and myrrh notes... pure perfection. As it is written on the box - pierce my heart again. So I fall in love with Kingdom over and over again. It needs to be admired. This is a work of art.

It's probably the first one of so called animalic perfumes that I really love, so don't be misleaded by all those stereotypes about heavy and light fragrances (even if you like flowers in bloom:)) and give it a try even if you believe you won't like it:) You may be surprised (jasmine, rose!).

Kingdom is not dangerous (only if you want it to be). It is beautifuly shadowy and comforting (as Alexander McQueen's enigmatic creations).
Particularly suitable for quiet winter nights, when the snowflakes are big and falling slowly... or for gloomy rainy autumn... In fact, it can be used in summer as well.

Sorry for so little words about fragrance's notes and so many emotions, but for me this is such an "atmospheric" fragrance, as one could be...

p.s. I hope, nobody thinks that i don't shower when i wear Kingdom:))

empress249
empress249

Absolutely love this. A warm, spicy fragrance which I think is best worn in winter. Quickly mellows but doesn't fade into nothingness. Makes you feel very womanly and sexy.

sky76sky
sky76sky

What a strange beast of a fragrance - with such polarising reviews!

The bottle is wonderful. The scent is intriguing, delightful, strange & at some points difficult, stomach-churning & disturbing. Overall, I really like it - I respect it for its unusual, uncompromising & artistic take - but I feel sure I could never comfortably wear it.

I find the start a little tricky - I have never before tried a perfume that starts out like a savoury dish! Warm, citrus, vegetal, & heavily dosed in dry, unsalted spices....& then the cumin strikes. I can taste the bitter perfumed food in my mouth if I sniff too hard, & I find that metallic-blood note that Malegria describes. It is suprisingly sensual for a perfume that is all about the bitter spice. Warmth, depth, dry cumin & carnations...cloaks & daggers, midnight chimes & the witching hour.

Luckily, as Kingdom settles the ride gets easier - it mellows & warms, the sillage increases & the cumin reaches a more wearable level. I get a nice amount of dusty old roses & jasmine with a thick, cosy feel. There is a masculine soapy note that gives Kingdom an old fashioned regal appeal - like walking into a room filled with hand-bound books, old leather chairs, dusty persian rugs, shaveing cream & bristle brush standing next to a wash stand & bowl. Odd, but classic.

I never got the BO (luckily!), although my friend mentioned a harsh soap & indian restaurant feel. On my skin it can develop a bit of 'ash-tray' in the dry-down, but I never found it to be a scrubber.

Wear this to stand out without resorting to glam, glitz, glitter or shock tactics. A strange & stately earthy wonder.

If you can tolerate cumin, this is fantastic. Silky florals, subtle spice, deftly crafted and complexly layered, Kingdom is a creamy, wonderful adventure as it goes through its stages. But the cumin is persistent and perpetual: It won't fade off, so if you don't like cumin, which I don't much like in my fragrance, then this is not for you. Too bad, because the bottle is just beautiful. If you can tolerate cumin, then this is definitely worth trying. Not light or flirty and definitely not the common fruity-floral water found in department stores(though they too have their place: Sometimes you just want to smell nice and not worry about making a statement.)Worth trying.

kay_li13
kay_li13

Unfortunately the only note I smell from this is cumin. No ginger, no nothing else. I wanted to try this scent, but now I don't think I will even finish the 3ml decant that I have. :( It's rather too... offsetting for me to enjoy.

rebella
rebella

I have tried both the EdT and the EdP and I think they are not so similar.

The EdP is much fuller, richer and sexier. Strong amd heady, a real night perfume for intimate occations. Longlasting and kind of velvety character but at the same time abrasive, in a pleasant way.

The EdT is more suitable for daytime wear, and is easier and not as special. Compared to the EdP I think of the EdT as pretty, but a little boring. Longlasting and nice sillage for an EdT tough.

ferrari
ferrari

Starting with a bergamot bitter and lemon. And later on my skin just carnation. Nothing more, just many many strong carnation. This one can to kill me.

essija
essija

Mostly bergamot & musk on me. This scent is spicy and nice. Could wear this often, but I don't know if I would, I'm just into too many others currently. Glad I tried it, as I have always wanted to. It does get better the longer it's on.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

like it or not, this one is interesting. for the first hour i got a weird BO aroma, (my husband said there was no bo smell) but it didnt ruin the scent. after that, it turned warm and powdery strong but still feminine. i would call it thick instead of heavy. even though its definitely NOT unisex, i think a man with the right style could pull it off.

frangipani
frangipani

I tried this recently. It is very warm and spicy but too heavy for me. I gave my samples away to my boss who wears it well and ended up buying a whole bottle. I'm still looking though......

dutch mickie
dutch mickie

sorry, not so special to me, gave it away. reminds me too much of maroussia, to much wanna-be oriental but with a cheep scent in the middle. but the person I gave it to was very happy with it, wears it about every day and when i see her I always have to notice she smells great

julianne35
julianne35

KINGDOM prepares you with the fresh notes as bergamot and lemon to the deepness of spices..I usually do not prefer fragrances with spices but kingdom affected me a lot!... It is "dark" and "deep" and not like the mostly known perfumes..It is special..

alina terec
alina terec

i just got the eau de toilette version. i actually asked for the eau the perfume but now i am glad i got the other one. i ordered it without smelling it first, and i must say that it's amazing! great scent, not heavy but delicious. easy to like. probably the eau de parfum is deeper as the spicy notes are more represented. i am happy with the edt but i must say that i have a slight regret what the bottle is concerned. i would have liked to have the edp bottle. it's fascinating!!!

The EdP - a previous reviewer in this thread said something about BO - meaning
"body odor" or "sweat". I identify this
in the composition-but-it is Only the cumin coming on strong. The first two sprays the cumin was too heavy, too pronounced. After a few uses the perfume
became more enjoyable, I think it just needed to be sprayed a couple times and "mixed up" maybe. My husband notes
the Jasmine strongly when he wears it.
It is not as long lasting as I would expect from an EDP, maybe my bottle was old...I love the stuff, anyway !
Sultry, Spicey, a tone of Woody and a
mist of Smokey along with floral too!!

Aalia

The EDT - The red bottle fits in your open hand and it seems to be a grenade, or, perhaps a giant jewel-something that feels good weighing- and resting in your palm at the same time. The florals bursts forth-a rapturous and fantastic concoction- a tiny touch of citrus on the surface- encouraging the lush florals to mix, mingle, at the same time providing a smart, nuance of contrast!
A light but quizzical sensation of musk and gourmand notes develop with the vanilla , making the fragrance last softly close to the skin. The fragrance is strong of character, wit, and beauty. As a true Eau De Toilette-soft, and light; but for all the fragrance´s strengths- never overpowering. I love this fragrance for the combination of all the differing elements and styles, sultry sexiness and fairy tale femininity- all in one very gorgeous ruby glass bottle.

LiLascents
LiLascents

I read some reviews of this fragrance and was so intriged, I purchased a bottle (3,4 oz/100ml) without ever smelling it, and furtunitly on my skin it works great!! I love this one.

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

Hmmm...certainly one of the most reaction-provoking perfumes I have ever sampled. I can't get past the 'BO' smell. I sampled this on a paperstrip first and thought perhaps the strip itself had an offensive odor to it. So I tried it on my skin and unfortunately still detected the same dirty smell. It just wouldn't work for me which is too bad because the perfume, without that odd 'dirty' smell, is really beautiful and exactly to my taste. Deep, very much dark...but the unpleasant smell is so distinct on my skin that it just isn't a way I want to walk around smelling. I think it is worth trying, however, because these reviews indicate that for some people, this is a beautiful perfume. Try it before you buy it to be sure though!

Malegria
Malegria

I find it incredibly sexy,in a very bold, unveiled kind of way.There is nothing floral about it. It comes to mind that it is some weird cross between Dune, Spark, Venice...and a plastic bag of blood for IVs.There is this metallic smell to it - like you cut a finger and put it in your mouth. I feel ginger root very strongly, and cumin too (more in a body lotion then in a perfume though), and it gives it a certain bite, almost a gourmand note.I use it rarely and only in cold weather, when the bloody note is not quite so obvious.BUT...I gladly lend it to my husband, it smells marvelous on him!

solocha
solocha

I am not so sure about this one, I'll give it a try, maybe twice more, to be fair on it. But... I even think I would put up with bodily odour smell. I was very intrigued to try it ever since I read so many contradictory reviews, and that many people percieve it completely differently. But I could not stand the spicy- cumin/caraway note. It smelled unapt for a perfume and if I wore it it would make me sick.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

I do not know if I would like Kingdom, because it smell me as if framer of this composition connect Dune by Dior with Guerlain's Mitsouko. I very like Mitsouko, but I do not very like Dune. Other part, Kingdom intrigues me - it wild, very bodily, spicy smell. I don't know..

Natalia78
Natalia78

This is the most bipolar fragrance i ever came across at.At times sharp and intense like a gasoline, at times fresh and flirty. Definitely a masterpiece.

sophywt

Kingdom is notoriously famous too, but I love the mood it presents, gothic and dark in a powerful way. Kingdom is amazing. It developes so differently on different people(and on animals too!).

On me, the cumin note is very dirty, extremely animalic. It lasts so long and overwhelms the floral notes totally. I like this animalic feeling, very erotic, full of lust.and I understand why people say it has armpit smell or body odour. yes, sometimes. but it doesn't always smell like that. A friend tried the same EDP version another day, and it turns into a very beautiful froral notes on her. There is the cumin note as well, but much lighter and cleaner than on me. the floral notes are still with the dark feeling, very dense.

I also find my cat is crazy for it! When I wear Kingdom, he will keep on licking my wrist. I've tried dozens of perfumes, everytime he just run away, and this is the only one he likes!

I know Kingdom is on the one-star-trash list in Mr.Turin's new book. Well, I'm afraid I couldn't agree with him this time, and nor my cat :P

benzippo
benzippo

It somehow reminds me of the notoriously famous "Basala" by Shiseido...

Nuppu
Nuppu

Warm and wearable even with funny pepperlike smell.

Vanessa Olivatti
Vanessa Olivatti

I have the Kingdom and love, because it is erotico and mysterious at the same time.
It is my favorite because it is too powerful!

Marianne
Marianne

I'm very surprised...I didn't expect anything like that when I tried the body lotion today. At the beginning, it was so woody, musky and even smoky that I thought "Well, I don't know if I can force myself to like it..." but after some minutes, the "base" of the lotion appeared and it was just what I like - warm, sensual and only a bit woody.

sophywt

dark, gothic and beautiful! I just can't resist it~

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

I've read both horrible and amazing reviews on this perfume, and the beauty of this perfume depends SO MUCH on body chemistry. I've read reviews that it is a deep, sexy, musky fragrance for some, and a nasty indian-food-smelling beast to others. Several even said it wreaks of human body odor.

I bought a bottle a week ago, I just got it in today and immediately tried it... and it smelled beautiful and floral at first, but dried down to that hideous indian-food smell reviewers were talking about on my skin. :( I was so disappointed. I sprayed it at least 5 more times on my neck and wrists just to make sure I didn't like it (because I wanted to like it!). My mom was there, and she spritzed some on her wrists, too. She said she loved it! I grabbed her arm and took a sniff and it smelled completely different on her! Unfair! It smelled like the sexy, headstrong, dark, spicy scent I was expecting from it.

So now the bottle is hers :) If I can't enjoy it on me, at least I can enjoy it on her. It just didn't work on me. I consider this perfume to be kind of a risk. It's such a lovely perfume if you have the right chemistry for it... so buy a sample if you're interested.

Whew, long review.

elgab89
elgab89

WOW! Two thumbs up for Alexander McQueen!
This is not for everybody though. If you like flowers in bloom, Sunday afternoons and pretty butterflies, forget about it. However, if you read Baudelaire at midnight, are attracted to werewolves and cemeteries do not scare you easily - than you have your match.
Strong, sexy and dangerous!

2007

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen 3.89 out of 5 based on 543 ratings and 127 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Alexander McQueen Kingdom fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Alexander McQueen Kingdom, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Kingdom by Alexander McQueen. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Kingdom by Alexander McQueen represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.