Designers » A » Floral « Groups

Sung Alfred Sung for women

Sung Alfred Sung for women
dislike

Sung was created in 1986. It is a classical feminine floral fragrance. The top is composed of luminous citrusy notes of orange, mandarin, bergamot and lemon, united with ylang-ylang, galbanum and hyacinth. The heart is floral, composed of osmanthus flower, jasmine, iris and lily of the valley. The base brings creamy vanilla tones, orange wood, sandal wood, amber and vetiver. The bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand. It comes as 7ml parfum extrait, and 50ml and 100ml EDT.

Orange Mandarin Orange Galbanum Hiacynth Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Lemon

Osmanthus Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley iris Carnation Orchid Rose

Amber Sandalwood Orange Blossom Vanilla Vetiver Musk Oakmoss

Fleurs d`Orlane
5th Avenue

Sung Fragrance Reviews

Mimielle
Mimielle

On me, the sweet Hyacinth blasts then it very quickly settles to a mostly carnation and amber scent, strong but not overwhelming and a very warm smell that is spicy clove-ish enough not to be cloying. I've smelled it on others though and it can smell strong, harsh and chemical. 4 friends tested and compared it together over several hours and it was hard to believe it was the same fragrance we were wearing. I'd try wearing it on skin for several hours before buying since it seems to change up so much depending on who is wearing it.

chrisndema
chrisndema

This is so strong to me on initial spray a bit cloying infact. There is just no escaping the strong floral combination of different florals. It verred towards the room freshner there for a moment but after 30 mins or so it transformed into something quite gorgeous. I like it, very feminine, clean and well blended. I can see this on a bride for sure. It has a presence that can't be ignored.

ps. I bought this, sprayed on my arms and chest. The florals were just overwhelming and it seems its just too much to handle to get to that beautiful drydown. I took it back imeadiately. Too strong......I would hate to say a cheap smell ........But it is for me.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

My mom wore this in the 90s and I remember it being a fresh sparkling white floral with an underlining clean note. Sophisticated, crisp and elegant, truly a great fragrance. Flash forward to 2013. I was buying gifts for an overseas trip and I found a small bottle at Marshalls for $15, I thought it was a great deal until I smelled it. I'm not sure if it was the reformulation or just a bad bottle but it smelled nothing like I remember. Harsh, cheap and chemical smelling, almost masculine. I'm so glad I tried it out first, there is no way I would give this as a gift.

Very sad, SUNG used to be a great scent...another victim of a bad reformulation.

xanman
xanman

Sunshine and happiness in a bottle. A couple of spritzs make for a great start in the morning. I had a co worker who wore this in the 90's. I see the many complaints regarding reformulation but IMO sung smells the same. True love from the loud bright top notes to the mysterious warm sensual dry down that somehow manages to be fresh and dirty at the same time. The base here is quite reminscent of Anais Anais. However Sung us much more pleasant to my nose. Great for spring, summer and the winter blahs.

kvan
kvan

This review is for the most recent, 5 Star incarnation of Sung. Awful for me. Synthetic. The first impression was that it smelled to me very much like rubber cement (glue). Had purchased blind based on the notes, and that I normally love most green fragrances.

Jennypennypocket
Jennypennypocket

So you know where I stand, I am NOT a fan of sweet perfumes (yet, ironically, I do like Angel).

"Sung", by Alfred Sung, starts off as a shocking blast of cloyingly-sweet Jasmine and Gardenia flowers...and it stays that way, just slightly more subdued, for HOURS. I don't smell ANYTHING else in this linear scent.

Please note that I LOVE the strong, heady scent of a real, live Jasmine plant, but I have yet to smell an artificial Jasmine perfume that didn't smell third-rate, like a cheap souvenir from Hawaii or Disneyland.

At least TJ MAXX excepts perfume returns, if the buyer doesn't like the scent.....

P.S. If you like the syrupy-sweet, modern fragrances with celebrities names slapped on the labels, then you might like this one. To each his/her own.

squirrelhead
squirrelhead

I am a retired flight attendant for a major airline . I had worn this fragrance as my signature scent for years . The passengers were constantly asking about my Perfume .
I was amazed at how many times the male passengers wanted to write it down to purchase it for their wives and girlfriends . Through the years I had moved on to other scents while, studying other notes in hopes of finding something different . I am still following that quest .
I only only own about four favorite fragrances but , I seem to reach for this one on a regular basis . I do realize the lily can be a little sharp initially . All the other notes blend into a warm floral dry down with great spillage .

Lillitth
Lillitth

I was anxious to try Sung based on the perfume notes and reviews. But unfortunately it started with such a strong blast of lily and hyacinth that I found over powering. There was also another scent that I couldn't identify but just smelled...odd. Maybe the Galbanum? That being said, it did quickly settle down to a pleasant musky sandalwood and jasmine. If you love Lily, this is the perfume for you. While I don't mind the way it ends, I find the top notes too much for me deal with. I'll be passing this one off right away. Shockingly my husband liked the top notes better than the base notes. So perhaps there's something there that I just don't smell.

rosembloom
rosembloom

This is one of the perfumes that gets most complimented when I wear it. Indeed, this 80's powerhouse was my first serious perfume and no matter that I was 16, it fit me to a T! Strong and bold, clean cut and elegant, this lady ( she is a lady to me anyways) is carefree yet polished. Vintage gold candle holders, crystal Swarovsky jewelry, multi-faceted mirrors and opulent sunny rooms overlooking the sea is what I imagine when smelling this elixir. My Lady is bright and airy like a balmy early morning
walking on the beach. She lingers even after her departure and I am left with a clean whiff of salt air, warm sand, fresh Sambac Jasmine and tender Lilac buds( that is how I percieve the Lily of the Valley in the composition).Bubbly and effervescent, she is like a fine sparkling wine during the opening. Her presence then warms up with unsuspected smoldering depth. Ylang Ylang and Galbanium take her from floral fresh to Floriental amber. I am mystified! Still luminous, her morning has settled into day with more opulence and her night begins with a rich Vanilla: the type you get from the pod, not the sweet factory. It is now rich and bold, vetivier softened by orange and sandal wood . She dries down with a sunset of pure amber and something akin to pralines (to my nose). This beloved fragrance is filled with magic for me and wearing it, I always feel polished and feminine , classy and demure. Give her a try before she vanishes... she is ever so worth it!

Aeris
Aeris

I love the clean, soapy, floral qualities of this. Unfortunately, I won't be wearing it in public anymore. It's an elevator clearer!!! I've never seen so many people get off the elevator early to escape before they got to their destination on the first floor (as they were wrinkling their noses and trying to edge away from me the whole time). I live in a skyscraper apartment complex. When the elevator is going down, 99% of the time people are going to the ground floor. They all got off many floors early this time). This is a sillage monster, even though I did one spray. Not even an accidental overspraying of Angel managed to clear an elevator that fast for me.
::embarrassed::

innovativemomma
innovativemomma

I like this fragrance. I just bought the gift set (3.4oz edt, 2.5oz lotion and shower gel) at TJMaxx for $10. A great deal. After all of the sweet fragrances flooding the market it is good to get back to the florals.

SolangeN
SolangeN

"I don't always wear soapy florals, but when I do, I prefer Sung."

Stay thirsty, my friends.

vv1978
vv1978

One of my all time favorites and wore this for years as a signature scent! Bought my first bottle in 1990 wonderful wonderful! If you have ever been to Hawaii this is what the fresh lei's smell like! Spicy floral exotic fruit trees in bloom with a spicy Ginger feel. Everyone loves this scent on me, might just be my chemistry blends well with this, it gives me the dreamy vibes of a lush private pacific island in bloom.

kaejuntun
kaejuntun

Sung has had me curious for months now, and after a long wait I decided I had to try it. My impression - Sung is a classic smelling floral. There is a definite soapy quality, along with a little bit of a waxiness if that makes sense.

Here's the craziest thing about this frag - when I smelled it, I felt like it was so familiar, something I just couldn't put my finger on. Finally it came to me. It reminded me very distinctly of Victoria's Secret Rapture. They are definitely not twins, but I think they smell alike. Sung would be the daytime fragrance, while Rapture would be for the evening/night. I couldn't pinpoint what ties the two together, and I may be totally crazy, I would be curious to test them side by side.

Sung is definitely not a light, airy floral. It has substance, and it makes a statement. Spray with caution, as I can definitely see this one getting strong in a hurry. It is complex with a creamy base, and just a the tiniest hint of spiciness - maybe from the carnation? It smells mature and playful at the same time. It is definitely worth a try. I can't say it is a new favorite, but smelling it has definitely just made me more intrigued. I will be trying this a few more times before making a final judgement, but for now I count this purchase a success.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

As a amber/spicy/floriental lover myself, I have a hard time finding floral scents that work on my skin, although I’m realizing there are some common themes that help. I’m also realizing that application with a light hand is very important, at least with my skin.

That said, Sung is an incredibly delightful white floral. It smells like vanilla-hyacinth from the very beginning, and seems to be staying with that harmony and not developing much. Sung never shrieked on my skin (which is my usual problem); instead, it started immediately with a soft, husky whisper of scent that carries remarkably well for all of its softness. It reminds me of the drydown of Wings, the luscious last hour or so that is lilac with a bit of sandalwood. I don’t know why I’m detecting vanilla in Sung (it’s not listed), but there is a warm, sweet quality to the fragrance—I suppose it could be the orchids, or possibly the nature of the amber used, in combination with the sandalwood. Sniffing my wrist, I get the orange blossom and the lily of the valley; if jasmine is there, it’s faint and not indolic. This is a clean scent, but not a squeaky-clean scent; a comfortable freshness, not an uptight scent.

Initially, looking at the notes, I wondered if it would smell like Fidji (another floral I do enjoy, which shares some similar notes—the galbanum, jasmine and hyacinth) but Sung is not as cool as Fidji; and where Fidji got a tad powdery and then a tad indolic, Sung doesn’t move in either direction. However, I think fans of Fidji, and fans of Wings, would enjoy Sung.

Other reviewers have gathered images of white lace, white brides, dewy gardens—and I completely concur. This is a wonderful, feminine fragrance with the unusual combination of good sillage and light, soft character; I don’t think you are going to offend anyone by wearing this, but they will notice it. I think this fragrance would work in a variety of situations, from work to social events. Longevity is >4 hours.

I received a big 'ol bottle of this for Christmas last year and though I like the scent on my bedsheets or clothing the next day, it gives me an instant headache everytime I wear it. Initial spray is quite sharp but after about an hour it calms into a very classic floral fragrance (reminds me of my grandmother). Both my daughters LOVE this perfume on me and the longevity is amazing! However, because of the headache factor, I only wear this on blustery days when I know I'm going to be outside where the wind can carry that opening shapness away from my nostrils.

Kewl Breez
Kewl Breez

This is my favorite scent ever. I've never bought the same perfume again, but I feel I can't be without it. Sitting at my dull office desk all day, I take a whiff on my wrist and immediately feel life is worth living again, if such a beautiful thing can be created. Thank you Sung, you are my song.

pipergirl
pipergirl

When jasmine does not work on my skin, boy does it not work. Sadly, that is the case with Sung - rancid flour mixed with a little air freshener and wet cardboard on me...

I wish I got the classic floral that it is described in the reviews below. Big disappointment as I really like Shi.

Sung for Women has copped a fair amount of negative reviews in the past, so I could be forgiven for expecting something unpleasant and cheap. Much to my amazement, Sung is an utterly breathtaking floral fragrance.

Sung is a fairly classic scent, with an array of white floral accords and some additional sweetness provided by the ylang ylang and hyacinth. It settles on the skin as a rather heavy scent, more soapy and creamy than fresh.

Indeed it does convey a sense of maturity and elegance. Sung will not appeal to everyone, but it's not as bad as other people make it out to be. It's in the same league with fragrances like Robert Piguet's Fracas, Estee Lauder's Beautiful Love and Elizabeth Arden's Splendour.

What I love most about Sung is the odd stale tobacco aroma. This accord is only very subtle, hidden amongst the strong floral notes. I detected it immediately, and had Sung been without it, I may not have enjoyed it as much as I do. The somewhat dirty aspect is half of its appeal.

All in all, Sung is a powerful fragrance, one that should be applied with a light hand. The longevity is also superb. You get real value for money when it comes to Alfred Sung's fragrances. Give Sung a chance and you may be surprised.

camaral
camaral

Got this one in July. The first day I wore it to work, I immediately got a compliment from the guy who told me, months earlier, that Florabotanica smelled like sea shells (see review). He even asked what the fragrance name was (Sung), because his wedding anniversary was that next week.
My first impression of Sung was Hawaiian pikake and honeysuckle. Then it spiced up like Jovan Island Gardenia. The drydown on me is all about resin, gardenia, moss and -strangely- CASSIA.
Not love, but definite like.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Just a bit of indolic jasmine with crisp lily of the valley. Some freshness from the hyacinth. Lovely combination notes, last well, very classic smelling. Something versatile that could be worn day to night for a variety of events. Really beautifully blended.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This is one of those 80's fragrances that really strikes a unique chord. I wore this briefly when I had a very wide fragrance wardrobe and found that I really liked it in the spring and summer, but that it was a bit lighter and brighter than most of the fragrances that I prefer in the autumn and winter.

This has a HAPPY Note to it... it reminds me of something that possibly Kate Hudson would wear. Fun, playful, upbeat, and light... bubbly... like champagne, but with a little bit of an edge to it. Ysatis is bordering on this-- or at least in the same type of fragrance chord and family. David Yurman's Gold fragrance would be a more sophisticated spin on this, but they are both "blond" type fragrances that seem to be something that would be great on the type of woman that likes to live with a light-hearted approach to life.

ccisme
ccisme

My sister's signature scent for many years. I never cared for the way it would rub off on me when we hugged goodbye. I guess she sprayed it on her clothes... So, waaaay too strong! And then it would clash with my own fragrance and that's what I'd go home with. But I love my sister and this is always her fave so life goes on, always an adventure!

phishgurl
phishgurl

Oh dear. Not at all what I was hoping it would be. Definately a more mature scent than I wanted. Powdery and floral, maybe this is just the indolic effect of the jasmine, but it's starting a headache just from the test spray on my hand. Not for me.

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

I've worn this scent for many years. I actually still have a small miniature spray of this that I can keep in my purse. This is one of those scents that if a genie was to have given it to you, there would be a warning attached. "Mist this lightly and the scent will reward you, spray it too heavily, and you will regret it!"

The first thing I smell with this is the citrus, particularly the mandarin orange. Then the hyacinth and ylang ylang (the hyacinth being more dominate) make their entrance and these notes stay for about 15 minutes to a half an hour. This then gives way to a floral heart. What I personally smell here is a little carnation, rose, jasmine and lily of the valley (which is the most dominate note in the heart). The orchid makes an appearance, but not for very long on me. Seems to be playing peek-a-boo on me. I'm not too familiar with Osmanthus, so I really couldn't tell you if it's truly there or not. The iris gives it a slight powdery touch, but not much. This to me is not a powder bomb.

The base is woody with vetiver and sandalwood sweetened with vanilla and orange blossom. I smell a little bit of amber and not very much oak moss in the dry down. One me, lily of the valley is still noticeable in the base notes, although it is fading out as the orange blossom develops with the vanilla.

Sillage is great on this, hence the warning earlier in this review. Longevity seems to depend on the weather. Lasts for a long time in the cooler months. In the warmer months, fades more quickly. I think this can be a year round scent if you love lily of the valley. In the summer though, this scent can really be very cloying if sprayed with a heavy hand. I strongly suggest misting this scent on

jake.shouse

Just got this today and I really like it! Smells clean and powdery!

m_mtz40
m_mtz40

What an amazing fragrance! Can't get enough of it! I kept asking my friend every time I saw her what she was wearing, it smelled so good on her n thankfully on me too! Unique n so sexy n sensual yet this lady means business, don't mess w/ her! She says if we r doing anything, we're gonna do it right! As does this perfume, done very very right! Fragrance should carry u away & this one most certainly does. Bravo! Well done!

lisaarmstrong
lisaarmstrong

This is the only perfume that draws compliments EVERYTIME I wear it!

jake.shouse

Just ordered this yesterday will hope I love it. Will update on if I like it and I ordered it unsniffed so finger crossed will update on if the perfume is strong and if others around me like it!

hbomb9410
hbomb9410

At work the other day, I waited on a woman who smelled so great that I had to ask if she was wearing perfume. She said "Yes!...Well, no, it's body lotion." When I asked what kind, she told me it was "Sung." It reminded me of my all-time favorite fragrance, Narciso Rodriguez's Musc for Her oil, and for body lotion, this stuff had some seriously potent sillage. Now I'm going to have to give it a try on my own skin.

Amberline
Amberline

Bought this today as another blind buy at TJ Maxx, in a tiny bottle. On first sniff it seems like warm, creamy, dark floral. When I close my eyes I see a room with windows covered by black lace curtains looking out onto a stormy sea, velvet chairs, pearl-grey wallpaper ... and beautiful dark-haired women leaning over a big vase of gardenias. I kept thinking it reminded me of something, then it came to me: White Shoulders! This scent reminiscent of a knowing look between long-time lovers. I think I love it.

chetheri
chetheri

This has been my summertime fragrance for over 20 years. My family tells me it reminds us of our summer vacations at the beach because that's what I always wore. It makes me think of warm summer days and palm trees, even if I'm spending the day in the office. I hope they have not discontinued it.

ImpishLisa
ImpishLisa

I first tried this 4 years back in a walmart after christmas mark down. I was FLOORED.
I never had so many compliments. Never had so many strangers ask me what i was wearing.
It became (and still is) my signature, daily scent that is 'me'.
I buy it two and three bottles at a time. I pray to God they never stop making this gem.
It is a crisp, green floral to me. Not sweet, or fruity. It is almost sharp, at first. And so little goes a long way. If i put it on my jacket or coat, it stays for days.

The review by ranchorita cracks me up. My mother in law also wore this, but the fragrance has NOT been ruined for me because of it. It does remind me of her, but she's gone now, so its a pleasant memory. I find this fragrance to be a floral green rather than a true floral. I smell heaps of hyacinth at the forefront, with the other floral notes supporting. This not a soft, sweet floral, its rather dewy. It can be strong if overapplied, but with a light touch, it's rather classic.

sacaguweea
sacaguweea

The smell reminds me of my mom in the 90's. She used to wear this scent and it suited her well but now I find it dated. It smells trendy and yet classic not necessarily classy though. Defiantly a mature scent but not in a bad way, it seams electric and exciting to me. It makes me think of a young-ish woman out on the town, the night owl, the effortlessly stylish party-all-night-er.

Nmsekhmet
Nmsekhmet

One of my all time favorite scents!!!!

ranchorita
ranchorita

An absolutely stunning fragrance, this was the signature perfume of my roommate in the early 90s. Our loft was redolent of her, and it was a glorious and fun association with one of the best eras of my life. My current boyfriend's mother wears it and has ruined it for me. RUINED. It's funny, but it's rather sad. For what it is worth, the loveliness of the fragrance turns out to be bold enough to not evaporate on the hide of a dragon!

Lushylori
Lushylori

Its a very classy and nice smelling Fragrance.
It definitely smells like it was created in the 80's for sure.
In the 80's ,the perfume was bold just like all the styles of clothing and furniture etc etc....I love that about the 80's
Too me ,this really smells a lot like Oscar by Oscar de la Renta which i also own.
It doesn't open up the Same as Oscar but once it starts to dry it smells very similar.
I think Oscar may be a bit more on the powdery side though.
This is a fragrance that's very womanly and mature and shouldn't be sprayed on thick.
It speaks loud and clear for itself and doesn't need extra encouragement so use sparingly or you may offend perfume sensitive people.
I think I'd wear this in the winter and at night.
I'm glad i finally got to try this one....I've seen it often on the shelves over the years and never really cared to smell it...I'm glad i did :)
A classy classic for sure :)

AdrianaCatLover
AdrianaCatLover

a beautiful balmy green fragrance. The drydown is spicy yet fresh. Defenitely worth a sniff.

Azanon100
Azanon100

SUNG was one of the first fragrances to my new perfume collection and hated it so much. After zillion bottoles of fragrance purchases later, I am surprised that I feel SUNG as a very sophisticated scent now. I'm slightly proud that my taste in fragrances is growing.

Caz71
Caz71

Is this perfume still available and in Australia. I used to wear it when I lived in Canada in 1995-1999.
Id love to smell it again!

clunygrey
clunygrey

I wore this in the '80s and '90s and got more compliments on it than any other perfume I've ever worn. A friend once said, "That Sung smells so good on you!" And that was the secret: it was as though it had been especially formulated to go with my body chemistry. As much as my friends loved it, they couldn't wear it. The Sung I've bought in the last 10 years is just not the same. The magic is missing. I have never found anything that to replace it or that gets the compliments this did.

glad57

I must say that this fragrance, Sung, is about the best that Mr sung has made . I have yet to smell anything else from him as well made as this one, sometimes you gotta just stick with what works and not try to reinvent the wheel because of the competition out there, just stay in your lane and do yu. This was his first perfume and he might have stretched out too far, too soon and that was 1986, he had a good blend and really didn't have to experiment way on the other side of the moon in my opinion. I still hope he got what he needed to accomplish though through experimentation, but i say why mess with success.

glad57

just got my sung after years of everything else in-between and i must say it is such a joy, just what i remember, classic, floral, clean, wonderful staying power, medium sillage. wow!, i wore this 25-26 years ago and i'm 55 yrs young now and it still makes me feel so wonderful, ladylike and sexy like i'm the same age when i wore it back then, ok, i'll calm down! really, i couldn't wait to recieve it, thanks Fragrantica for allowing us to keeps in touch with the joys of our past, a fountain of youth in a bottle, and it is just as good as the new fragrances without the high price tag. the prices are amazing,especially in this economy, no cheap funky old lady smell but sweet, nice and very pleasant dry down. If you like florals you gotta add this to your collection as a classic. got a huge bottle and b&s gel and lotion for 35.00

suhaesa
suhaesa

its a classic perfume ,long lasting and defensibly an 80s hit.my sister loves it so much .but i find it a bit overwhelming with all the flowers in it ..its reminds me of what i hate in first van clef and arpells maybe is he iris or the jasmine i hate them both ..it has an acidic scent to it and some how smells like pif paf to kill insects it has a very faint hint of that just like in bijan . don t get me wrong its a great perfume for those who love such scents.it reminds me of green meadows after the rain with cattle living in it!
rate it as 3.5 out of 5

junior halston

To me this smells like going into a greenhouse with flowers all a bloom mixing with the damp soil and green moss with a deep touch of warm damp humidity in the air.

The close you can get to the smell of spring.

EmyPlante
EmyPlante

This was my first and LAST blind buy.
A few years ago, a lady I used to work with told me about Sung, I remember her saying it was "perfection in a bottle" and when she heard it was going to be discontinued, she rushed to the shop to get a bunch of bottles!

But what influenced my blind buy the most is the amount of amazing reviews this perfume has! Incredible! I thought I couldn't go wrong with this one. What a disappointment! Straight from the first spray, the lilly-of-the-valley reminded me of how one of my current co-workers smells. On me, the scent was old-ladyish as anything, powdery and overpowering. I decided to give it a few days to decide if I liked it or not. I ended up selling my bottle to the said co-worker.

Serves me right for buying a perfume before even smelling it! :P

exciter76
exciter76

I remember my best friend from high school had this on her vanity back when everyone else had Sunflowers and Tresor on theirs. I used to snoop around in her collection as our tastes ran similar. Sung was my favorite in her collection. I believe I even used up her bottle and tried to offer up a rancid bottle of Primo (Kmart’s answer to Giorgio Beverly Hills) in exchange. She was a true friend—she forgave both my overindulgence with her bottle of Sung and my reparations in the form of an insult-in-a-bottle. Fast forward about fifteen years. I had long forgotten the name of my friend’s emptied bottle but I knew the scent immediately. It was about time for a long overdue reunion.

Sung is a very verdant white floral that I cannot help but associate with white lace. To be exact, I smell lily-of-the-valley first and foremost, sweetened by other white flowers and grounded by woods. It dries down smelling of soft and powdery white flowers, a real gem among rocks for white floral lovers. It has real tenacious staying power and it is quite the sillage monster, a quality many contemporary fragrances lack. It is as precious, as romantic, and as much an anachronism as lacy gloves. It is a fragrance that may seem a bit out of place these days but it will endure fads and whims of the present and find its place among the classics.

pansylady
pansylady

A sophisticated woody floral, with prominent hyacinth notes- perfect for early-mid spring!

Thank God, it hasn't been reformulated- it smells exactly as I remembered it!!

nananessa
nananessa

Sung is one of my favorite florals. It smells like a fresh, green floral that is very modern & sofisticated. The woodsy basenotes are very soft, with the orange blossom to brighten them up.

My niece, Jessica, was visiting recently & when I put this fragrance on, she said she had never smelled anything quite like it & fell in love with it like myself. She noted it's clean, bright florals & the staying power of this one.

It is one of my very favorite florals & I wear it very often. Love it & worth every penny. Use a light touch if around others as it is somewhat potent & will overwhelm all too easily!

MademoiselleMimi
MademoiselleMimi

I am officially never trying another Alfred Sung fragrance. Just tried 'Shi' recently, and to quote a friend of mine, it is "missing a T." Sung is almost no better. There is some ingredient in both that flat-out gags me... it's almost impossible to breath in the presence of these 'fumes. My new rule is: Just say NO to fragrances made in the 80s and 90s!!! (And fragrances made by Alfred Sung, of course! Yuck!)

Gina99
Gina99

In spring and summer this is my go to fragrance. A beautiful alluring scent when applied lightly. For me a calming floral fragrance and something exotic in its breeze.

Karen.M.OShaughnessy
Karen.M.OShaughnessy

A co-worker used to wear this, and someone asked her what she wore, this was the scent. Very feminine,floral yet green as well.

jenny23
jenny23

Someone said this smelled like feces??Well if it does man this is some nice smelling poop. IMO this doesnt smell anything like feces. It is a very pleasant non offensive perfume. This will always be a classic. I remember wearing this 10 years ago...I liked it then and I like it now!

edpjunkie

A kindred soul sent me a sample of the pre-reformulated version. I sprayed once and was instantly taken back to the time I first smelled it; like friends who never really lose touch.

Scarlette
Scarlette

In the late 80's this was one of my very favorite scents!! Very posh, and still friendly. So fresh without being simple. There was no other like it.

Sadly, now it is no longer like 'it' either. The new one is just so sad, and even a little disturbing.

The vintage is top shelf.
The reformulation is bottom of the barrel.

pmfortin
pmfortin

In 1989, I was at Sears in Quebec with my girlfriend. She was a designer herself. We came face to face with Sung himself who was promoting his perfume. Not knowing who he was at that time, I said it smelled yuckie like Florient Lilac bathroom spray. Let's just say that Mister Sung was quite upset. It's only 15 minutes later that my girlfriend told me that the man was Sung himself! Tough day!

edpjunkie

When I was about 11 years old (87') I babysat for a neighbor and sneaked into her bedroom while the kids were watching t.v. A bottle of Sung sat on her headboard, so I sprayed some onto my shirt; a 'color change' purple tie dyed shirt.:) I instantly fell in love! I didn't wash that shirt for a week just so I could keep smelling that heavenly scent! Several years ago I found a used copy of Perfumes:The Guide (thank God for you LT and TS!!) in a book store and since then I've been able to put names to smells and articulate and broaden this lust I have for fragrances. In TS's review for Sung, I had an epiphany when she,too, said that it was beautiful once. "YES! I'd been saying that all along!"
My love affair with scents has developed slowly over the years since I live in a small town. The Sung that I smelled in my youth is lost to the evils of reformulation!I've looked for her, but she is still elusive to me. Sung was truly my very first love, but if it led me to this wonderful territory, a place among kindred souls, then I'm all the better for searching.

G00D_Girl
G00D_Girl

I really tried to like this fragrance...

to me it smells like a bizarre combination of feces & soap...

I realize that the unpleasant sent I am picking up is the jasmine, and dont get me wrong I like jasmin scents like Jasmin Noir by Bvlegari. I just really dont like this one.

During the dry down the unpleasant jasmine note fades and it sent is not horrible... but still not something I would get again (cant get past the opening)

maybe the perfume has gone bad...

agi
agi

This fragvance is WERY strong,from the start its feels like tooo strong,but later its have wery beautiful flower smell,My husbands loves this perfume !I like this perfume,but its is not my favorite one.

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

A little definitely goes a long way. Very feminine and well-constructed fragrance. A classic.

Angel10
Angel10

The old version from the 80's was FANTASTIC. Bright, sunny, clean.....
The new one is NOT the same. It is NOT clean.
I will leave it at that, as I don't want to be mean.

madhatter1
madhatter1

This is kind of an old school fragrance to me, very strong...I prefer the other sung light floral exotic fragrances that are newer!

cisco
cisco

This is a lovely fresh floral that is not one bit cloying because it is not overly sweet. The opening is sharp but then calms down to a honeysuckle scent. I don't know why as no honeysuckle is in this fragrance. Perhaps Jasmine, Lily-of-the Valley, and Hiacynth = Honeysuckle to my nose.

I find it a wonderful Summer fragrance. It does not suffer from being sickly sweet like so many other florals. This is a grown up floral that has good sillage and longevity. I also love the modest pricing. This is one that will stay in my collection.

For a Summer scent with an elegant fragrance, good longevity, good sillage, and excellent value, check this one out!

fanny
fanny

Sung is a special song sung by high pitched voices.
I was very surprised by its extreme freshness, which I adore in this particular case. It is almost severe in its bite..., and I can appreciate that in full techni-colour.
When you are up to face a scary situation, this friend will be a step ahead of you, preparing the subject for an elegant but lashing whip.

Soutty123
Soutty123

I love this. I bought it blind based on reviews and I'm so glad that I did. I've been looking for a new spring/summer fragrance for ages and this is just perfect. I have the eau de toilette and the staying power could be a little better, that's my only criticism.

ShannyO
ShannyO

Apparently Sung was introduced in 1986 but it didn't enter my sphere until the spring of 1989. It made a huge impression once I encountered it, though. Extremely floral and feminine, yet different from anything I'd ever smelled before. Perfect for a light office scent. I've never met someone who said it made them ill or repulsed. Never took off as a widely known fragrance, harder to find today than it was in its prime. Still, worth the search, especially at this time of year. I'll always remember being 14 and enamored with Alfred Sung's Sung.

ReinaT
ReinaT

Sung is a classic, floral scent. It has wonderful lasting power, a little goes a long way. I like to spray or dip often, and you can not do this with this perfume. Perfect for summer, spring and day use (definitely NOT evening). Can be worn by women/girls of almost any age. I have recommended it to several friends and they all love it. I have worn it for years, and I have a big bottle of it and the mini, but it's just not my favorite anymore. It does have several nice floral notes in it, last for hours, a strong floral. On me, the dry down is the same as when I first apply it, I don't sense any change in it. For some reason, it reminds me of gardenias, but I don't believe that flower is in it. I like it though, and I'm hoping I can find another or so perfumes that I can mix with it so I can create another personal, signature scent for myself. Because it's just too good to waste.

Pierina
Pierina

I purchased this scent recently (blind) based on reviews on here.
I think I like it but im not sure.
negatively; It reminds me of White Linen and White Diamonds. The former I seem to have an allergy to- nausea and headaches and the latter my mum bought for me at age 18 (for the love of god why?!)~ I gave it to a 50 year old woman. I really tried to like it but it was too strong and old and stuffy for me.
Positively; It reminds me of Eaudemoiselle (LOVE!) and chole intense (LOVE!)
My hubby commented that I smelled nice twice on this scent, he chose Chloe for me so Im figuring his nose porn out a bit better.
I found the sillage a bit crappy but gave it a squirt layered over moisturiser so now the top notes are holding a little better (I must have had dehydrated skin)
I would not have bought this scent if I'd sampled it prior but now I must figure out if I have wasted or invested my money (at least It was inexpensive)

icekat
icekat

(This review is for Eau de Toilette)

SUNG is an elegant and romantic floral scent. This perfume reminds me of a young attractive girl wearing pretty spring outfit and walking outside on a fresh sunny day with the cute bouquet of lily of the valleys.

The opening is complex and interesting. The hyacinth and ylang-ylang are accented by the fresh bergamot and spicy resinous note of galbanum. The opening is elegant, classy and reserved. And then... WOW, the scent completely transforms into a strong white floral. The lily of the valley stars in this fragrance surrounded by the jasmine blossoms. I have to admit that I love lily of the valley in this perfume. It reminds me of the lily of the valley note in DIORISSIMO. The romantic heart notes last for hours making this perfume a beautiful choice for lily of the valley and jasmine lovers. The dry down is woody with vetiver and amber mixed with the traces of white flowers.

My advice is to use a light touch when applying. The heart notes are strong. The longevity is great too. I definitely recommend this for lily of the valley and jasmine fans.

i love this perfume, one of my favorites. i have been wearing sung for years and i never get tired of it. its a different scent, not what you expect at first and then it settles into a soft yet powerful fragrance that you know is there, but not obnoxiously so. the complex notes are a rare combination that work on the right person. i'm glad i'm one of them.

IamWoman
IamWoman

I remember using, or at least testing, Sung many years ago. Today, I purchased it (again). One spray of this refined, complex, feminine fragrance, and I was confused. Did I like it? Not like it? Did I want to return it, or continue sniffing my wrists? I decided to let time determine my decision. Alfred Sung really formulated a mysterious scent... it is definitely a green/floral (and rather powerful at that). Yet, it is mildly spicy...then enters a creaminess that "sets" the entire fragrance, including the mellow woodiness that "grounds" the fragrance. Initially, it smelled refined and buttoned-up to the chin. Then, as it began to "bloom", the slight sexiness of the spice came through (flirt!) It was as if Ms. Buttoned-up-to-the-chin began undoing a few buttons. As more time passed, the fragrance relaxed into a mellow, creamy, exotic mystery. Ms. Buttoned-up has now exposed some cleavage, and her legs are crossed as she slowly sways the top leg back and forth. She would never do this for just anyone, but for the special person she can connect with. This is Sung. It may seem to open with bold stand-offish-ness, but it mellows into a relaxed, sexy finish. Jasmine fans will love this one! It is totally feminine, but not "girlie sweet". Sung is a woman who is refined and unapproachable to most; but underneath, is warm, sexy, and sophisticated. The sillage is amazing (apply sparingly), and its long-lasting power is a lost art.

soupygirl3
soupygirl3

Alfred Sung designs wedding dresses and with that comes thought about what might become part of the dress: The jewellery, shoes, make-up, fragrance, hair, flowers. Sometimes knowing that a scent has been designed by a wedding gown designer prejudices you to the intent and you make assumptions that the scent knows best. I smell the jasmine, the creaminess of the vanilla, but I also get a sharpness which harkens me back to my very early twenties as a temp in some very large office building on 6th avenue in Manhattan in the late 80's. This is the scent a mid-level female manager wore as she collected her messages because her assistant was out sick. But perhaps the scent denotes the iron-fist in the velvet glove that is needed for all married women!

mochaspice
mochaspice

SUNG is a very classic scent. This is probably one of favorites. I think what makes me like this scent the most is the floral notes. I do think that Sung is a very nice scent for young people.
The bottle on the other hand is really ugly to me. The sampler is cute. But the big bottle is just not pretty! It looked to blocky.

candymarie
candymarie

A softer, more refined incarnation of White Shoulders. It is beautiful, for sure, and like White Shoulders, it will likely be around a long, long time.

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

I had a sample of this and I didn't find it fruity or floral as the other reviews describe. And I hate florals. I thought it was soft and creamy... and likeable. Weird.

secretcrush
secretcrush

This is a very green floral fragrance... The lily-of-the-valley shines very bright while the other elements seem 2 only twinkle... I could have sworn there were some type of aldehyde here, creating a fresh and airy feeling, although not listed here... Very potent at first but as it settles down it becomes more wearable and actually compliment worthy... Not for me but pretty for others.

togagirl
togagirl

Very green, bright floral, strong and steady. This is what Estee Lauder's Beautiful wishes it were.

adele l
adele l

Had a bottle just a few yrs ago- didn't smell dated (80s) to me..it surely is strong and actually has a masculine edge but overall it's clean and classic. For whatever reason I wasn't crazy about it- maybe it's time to retry Sung it's really a good bargain.

kalynne
kalynne

I think I got this perfume when I was about 20, 1986-87. It registered as pretty, floral, fresh, which I liked at the time, but it made my sensitive skin itch. I didn't get half way through. Chanel 19 was still my fav at the time.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

This is the definition of "screechy floral." Obviously reformulated, Sung lacks note separation and feels like a soup of synthetic notes. It blares off skin in a manner unbecoming of something from a wedding dress designer. I'd find something with higher quality ingredients.

vetiver
vetiver

I still wear it sometimes, it is very sultry, has great sillage and staying power, a cloud of flowers !!!

ShorTea
ShorTea

A quick spray on paper and I was hooked, smells much like Arpege, and I am delighted. Great fragrance and a fantastic value too. Just a minute to add that it is somewhat like Ralph Lauren's Lauren, lots of Hyacinth and Lily of the Valley in the opening.

rithacha
rithacha

Just the other day I was doing the dishes at a friend's house. She's one of those people who postpones the dishes until there's no room left in the sink and she runs out of forks. Well, I was scrubbing the nth plate when I realized I had been smelling something familiar for the last hour of dish-washing.

It was Sung!

It has been over a month since I got rid of my bottle, but I could recognize that smell anywhere. A detergent-like fizzy citrus opening settling into a stale floral that I now recognize as greasy dishwasher soap. The extra-strong variety intended to scald oils off pots and pans, mixing with the animal fats on the dishes to create a stale aroma, as heavy as funeral-home flowers.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Strong fragrances must need to be applied with moderation, is like when you make a wish, you allways need to be careful, cuz if you ask for all you want, maybe you can end overwhelmed.

If I want to be in a rose garden, i would not hesitate to tell you that I love Alfred Sung Flowers.

Sung by Alfred Sung has one of the best floral drydown. Sweet with a Green touch, Flowery and long lasting.

junior halston

This scent is like walking into a warm greenhouse fill with every kind of flower you could think of in full bloom, it has slight green mossy grass under tone to.

I always think of spring and fresh cut flowers with this fragrance - it is very very very very very very powerful and one spray is perfect more then that you are going to smell like a wilted prom corsage

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

THIS STUFF WILL KILL YOU!!!!! Not literally but its way sweet and strong. I just cant handle the sweetness to this perfume. I prefer something a little more serious than this. Im sure it smells good on anyone but it sure won't be me!

instantjim
instantjim

I bought this for my wife on impulse (it was $19 Australian for 3.4 oz) from a clearance table. She is really impressed with it, not the least with its massive sillage. To her it is a big blossomy fragrance that is more clearly floral than another of the fragrances she has. I agree with cinsot that it smells like a fragrance from a past era.

evamoon
evamoon

I love this fragrance on the others, but not on me. It´s strange, I like fragrances by Alfred Sung, but I can hardly wear them. They are interesting, long lasting, but there is something strange... I don´t feel well with them. Sung is too green and sappy for me.

Sanna
Sanna

This scent is too overpowering for me. The smell of too much concentrated floral bouquet, containing all the flowers you can imagine ;-).
I'm getting almost dizzy from it.
No, this perfume is just too much and nothing for me.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I'm a floral person and this is one of my all time favorites, next to L'Air du Temps and Joy. I didn't find this scent until a few years ago and thank goodness for overstock stores! Crisp top (love the hyacinth), white floral middle and smooth creamy soft drydown. Gives off just the right amount of sillage to remind of your presence but not regret it. Very feminine.

Dardona
Dardona

I always wanted to try this so the other day I purchased a mini . At first At First I didn't like it very much., But I always give perfumes a second chance. I put this on today and I have to say that It is a scent that definitely grows on you. You must wait for the dry down and then it turns into a beautiful, mysterious floral that's not too sweet. Does not smell cheap at all. The best way for me to wear this sparingly. A little goes a long way but very nicely.

pitbull friend
pitbull friend

Surprisingly, on me this has a strong spicy carnation note, even though it's not listed in the notes. It's like Caron's Bellodgia without the darkness. Also a lot of jasmine. This is quite pretty, but very powerful, and I'm not sure I'd wear it often for that reason. My skin is not bringing out the amber and vetiver that would nicely balance it out, as Miss_Nightingale says.

Miss_Nightingale

Well, I have been reaching for Sung every morning for over a week, now. Highly unusual for me, and proof that this has truly earned a place deep in my heart. I have received many compliments whilst wearing this - interestingly, people commenting that they love its "lightness" and the fact that it's "not overpowering" yet manages to be "exotic and sexy" or, as others have described it to me: "refined and intriguing".

Therefore, those of you worried about offending whole rooms of people merely by passing through, I have to say this hasn't happened at all for me - nothing but positive comments from the moment I first sprayed it.

This IS addictive - it's somewhere in the drydown, a particular mixture of notes that just grabs me and refuses to let go. I struggled for some time trying to think what the very last stage of the drydown reminded me of - suddenly it came to me: Jean Desprez's Bal a Versailles! It's the illicit naughtiness of the dark vetiver & warm amber infusing the orange blossom & jasmine, I think. A kind of outrageous bawdiness found deep within the pure white blossoms that tremble at the heart of each perfume. Bal remains the dirtier sister, by far, but Sung could easily be a slightly older, perhaps more aloof member of the same family. Love it!

Miss_Nightingale

Just as I was about to put pen to paper (or rather, finger to keyboard) and declare this as "nice, but probably not for me" I suddenly found the long-awaited base notes seeping through and wafting merrily upwards, like wild salmon leaping to the sea at last. At that moment, I lost a little bit of my heart...

The opening was good: a fresh burst of citrus (no mandarin that I could detect, though, which was a little disappointing) and green aldehydes that sparkle and pop like bubbles in homemade lemonade. This faded incredibly quickly - literally in under a minute - and WHAP! BAM! ZOOM! I was assaulted with a massive dose of jasmine.

Now, this shows how my personal tastes are developing: a couple of years ago I would have crossed the road to avoid the smell of jasmine, but this was really lovely - an incredibly true smelling jasmine that entwines with the ylang-ylang and practically hula-dances its way around you, surrounding you with the sense of a warm, exotic island with white sands and dramatic landscape. This sounds idyllic, yet it's not my idyll - the jasmine is just too overwhelming at this stage for me... yet.

Next, we are whisked away to the moonlit balcony of a five-star hotel. A glamourous woman sips a perfectly chilled white wine, her skin glistening, still warm from the heat of the day, smelling very faintly of suntan lotion but mostly of an extremely expensive yet lightly handled oriental perfume. In the background, the evening air carries the faint smell of a warm breeze shaking the jasmine blossoms.

I love this stage - it's incredibly sensual, quite vintage smelling and very definitely 'grown up'. I cannot stop sniffing myself! I may not be the incredibly glamourous woman on the moonlit terrace, but wearing Sung I can at least pretend to be (and drink her wine).

The bottle is rather naff for such a heady, exotic experience as this: it deserves far better.

lilinah
lilinah

I'm not normally big on floral scents, but as soon as i tried "Sung" i was hooked!

It starts out as a rather fresh, green, and white floral. But it quickly develops a hint of spice and deep richness that complements the flowers. It's far more complex than one might think at the initial sniff.

My personal preference is for spicy orientals, and that is how "Sung" develops on me beneath its almost tropical florals.

Additionally, on me "Sung" doesn't change. Within seconds it smells as it will continue, unlike many other fragrances that begin in beauty and end with an unanticipated surprise.

And it has astonishing staying power on me. If i don't wash my inner arms, "Sung" will stay for two days, smelling marvelous.

I think it is probably too intense for most work settings. But it is great for a romantic interlude or an elegant evening.

gyftedgrammy
gyftedgrammy

Really nice green/floral scent; you have to sample it for yourself. Sweet initially, but I didn't care for the earthy, mossy base note that develops soon after application. It would work on a younger woman, but only as an evening choice.

caro23
caro23

I wonder if 27 years old (me) isn`t in the young side...jajajaja...maybe not anymore:( i bought this perfume two days ago...i think it is wonderfull!!! it is rich...warm...elegant and sexy...maybe is a hidden treasure ...the younger can go on with their cotton candy stuff...jajajaja

krisiva
krisiva

I ordered Sung unsniffed and I am very glad I did it. This is one of the most alluring scents in my collection. Although it is very strong at first, on my skin it settles beautifully and I feel really perfect when wearing it. And additional plus - it is not very popular in my country.

sealprincess
sealprincess

I really like this one. I find that one sparay 2 tops is the most you need it's very powerful.

Chaosnmotion

Let me clarify my comment, what I was intending to say was I didn't think it would appeal to the younger set who traditionally like the fruity florals such as are being marketed by Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.. not more classic, florals particularly the greener more woody florals.

guest_Kali
guest_Kali

This fragrance is a powerful green floral. Really nice, though. Just spray and walk through. I have to disagree with the previous reviewer, I think this is great for a women in here 20's or any age, really. Men seem to be attracted to it. (not that it matters) lol

guest_Annie
guest_Annie

A lovely green floral, that sends mixed messages. Is she simple, sweet, sophisticated or on the prowl? With this one there is no telling.

This fragrance is a forgotten gem and I selfishly admit, I hope it stays that way.

2007
Chaosnmotion

Classic fragrance, not for the younger set.

2007

Alfred Sung Perfume by Alfred Sung, 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
SUNG for WOMEN by Alfred Sung EDT SPRAY 1.7 OZ
SUNG for WOMEN by Alfred Sung EDT SPRAY 1.7 OZ
Gift Set 1oz
Shi Gift Set by Alfred Sung Gift Set for Women Includes 1 oz Eau De Parfum Spray 2.5 oz Body Lotion Mini
Eau De Parfum
Alfred Sung Shi Eau de Parfum Spray, 1.7 fl oz
Alfred Sung Shi Eau de Parfum Spray, 1.7 fl oz
Alfred Sung Perfume by Alfred Sung, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
Alfred Sung Perfume by Alfred Sung, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
SHI for WOMEN by Alfred Sung EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.4 OZ
SUNG for MEN by Alfred Sung SET-EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ AFTERSHAVE 3.4 OZ
SUNG for MEN by Alfred Sung SET-EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ AFTERSHAVE 3.4 OZ
Gift Set 3.4oz
Alfred Sung Gift Set by Alfred Sung Gift Set for Women Includes 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray 2.5 oz Body Lotion 2.5 oz Shower Gel
SUNG for WOMEN by Alfred Sung SET-EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ BODY LOTION 2.5 OZ SHOWER GEL 2.5 OZ
Gift Set 3.4oz
Shi Gift Set by Alfred Sung Gift Set for Women Includes 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray 2.6 oz Body Lotion .24 oz Mini EDP
Eau De Toilette
Alfred Sung Gift Set 2 Piece, 1 set
Alfred Sung Gift Set 2 Piece, 1 set
Alfred Sung Shi Gift Set 3 Piece, 1 set
Alfred Sung Shi Gift Set 3 Piece, 1 set

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Alfred Sung Sung fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Alfred Sung Sung, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sung by Alfred Sung. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sung by Alfred Sung represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.