Designers » A » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Sung Homme Alfred Sung for men
dislike

herbal
Sung Homme Alfred Sung for men Pictures

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Sung Homme was launched in 1989. Top notes are caraway, juniper berries, pepper, artemisia, basil, sage, bergamot, lemon, galbanum, bay leaf and petitgrain; middle notes are aldehydes, carnation, jasmine, caraway, rose, pine tree needles, geranium and spicy notes; base notes are leather, sandalwood, fir, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

Caraway Juniper Berries Pepper Artemisia Basil Sage Bergamot Lemon Galbanum Bay Leaf Petitgrain

Aldehydes Carnation Jasmine Caraway Rose Pine Tree Needles Geranium Spicy Notes

Leather Sandalwood Fir Patchouli Musk Oakmoss Vetiver Cedar

Polo
Quorum
Esencia pour Homme

Sung Homme Fragrance Reviews

Maxvonembs
Maxvonembs

This is dreadful, so bad that it is hard to fully describe. It smells like gramps pissed himself in the cheap candle isle wearing a necklace of urinal blocks misted with Pino Sivestre. I needed an Iso E super nasal flush to recover. Absolute rubbish.

I have some fragarances that I would never wear but I would use to spray in closets, on sweeper bags, etc. NOT sung homme. I would rather smell most things than smell this. I am no fragarance snob, my collection ranges from various Creeds to Tom Fords to Pino SIlvestre. But Sung Homme, that is some funky juice, nasty, nasty.

I gave this to my 94 year old uncle. He loves it, bathes in it. Hilarious!

I will say this, I think you could "soil your pants" and cover it up with sung homme. Bystanders would run as either smell would be equally offensive.

peeck@charter.net
peeck@charter.net

I have been wanting to do a review on this fragrance for a while now and here it is!

Where to begin... WOW... I really think if there is a signature scent this would be in my top 3. It to me is a comforting scent, yes right out of the shower clean fresh and full of energy. A cozy scent of just being presentable to the world! It does smell like a Spiced Irish Spring soap. Some have stated, why would you want to smell like soap? Why not? Who doesn't want to smell clean for 6-8 hours? It's more than just soap... I get the woodsy vibe... I have fond memories of my grandmothers home during Christmas smelling the burning pine candles. The living room full of the freshly cut Christmas tree. Yes this fragrance brings memories of my past. It does have a slight... very slight dated scent because of the Oakmoss maybe but don't let that defer you from experiencing this sweet fir and pine wooded $20 fragrance! TIMELESS...

israelgonzales
israelgonzales

I think its funny how people bash this one but, if it came with a CREED label attatched it would be considered a masterpiece...I love this scent...cheap, long lasting, pleasant smelling and can be worn in any season (i prefer Fall)...lets count our blessings that this isnt more expensive people!

DSun
DSun

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to make cologne that smells like soap. How did the creative process go? Sung Pour Homme is unique in that sense, but couldn't they make it smell like expensive soap at least? After an hour, it starts smelling less like Irish Spring and more like fabric softener.

I'm going to do a Germaine Cellier on this one and make it a base for something else.

TheNewEra
TheNewEra

Pro:
-Extremely clean soapy smell
-Reminds me of the gum that tastes like soap "Thrills"
-Very strong
-Has extreme sillage
-A very distinct floral smell

Cons:
-Extreme smell of soap can actually almost assault the senses and comes off as strong smelling hotel soap
-It seems a bit feminine almost with the floral scents
-Can be very hard on others if they don't like it
-It almost last too long for my liking
-It smells cheap

I am aware that this is a inexpenisve cologne so I factored that into my review. However I wanted to give this a try as I had never tried Alfred Sung before. I had previously read that most of the scents from Alfred Sung all have a bit of a soap-like scent to them. I couldn't personally stand this cologne as it made me almost suffocate due to its immense scent emmiting from my skin. Honestly I couldn't wait to get it off me. I can't even say that I would use this as a room freshener as it is way to harsh on me. I am not sensitve to colognes so one should bear in mind that this may seriously offend others olfactics. It reminds me of cheap hotel soap that is extremely strong and does not come off to me as something I would like to smell like. If it was toned down more or dilluted perhaps I could stand it, but again *just stand* it, not enjoy. I really don't recommend this to anybody but especially for anybody looking to find a good signature scent or if you are just getting into cologne.

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

Saw it on the internet and was intrigued by the bottle and the fact that it was said to of smelled like irish spring soap which I love. I don't find it to smell to much like irish spring. To me it smells like a fresh hotel hallway and those cinnamon pine cones that they put out at Christmas.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I've never worn this fragrance; however, my review will be based on smelling it on a complete stranger.

I was walking behind a couple in IKEA today, and I kept getting whiffs of eucalyptus or pine -- something herbaceous, green and woodsy. It wasn't overpowering. It was crisp and clean, clean, clean.

When we all stopped and looked at something, that was my cue to say, "Somebody smells good!" They were very pleased at this comment, and such good sports: they both offered me their neck to sniff! She was wearing "Believe by Britney Spears", and he wore "Alfred Sung". Although "Believe" was fine, it was most definitely the gentlemen whose scent I was following! So, I'm assuming it is this particular Sung creation for men that he was wearing. Seems right: members list the top three notes as fir, pine tree needles and oak moss. He volunteered that he gets lots of compliments whenever he has it on. Gorgeous fragrance!

scentury
scentury

I don't see the comparison with Quorum except for the longevity. If pressed, I'd say more like an abbreviated Worth Pour Homme Concenttee (paisley box formulation). Much like carnation and geranium dipped in sticky melted candies. Projection and sillage are off the charts.

lomerlaw
lomerlaw

I really had high expectations for Sung Homme, partly due to the comments here comparing it to Quorum, which I like. Regrettably, Sung Homme really failed for me, on a number of levels. The top notes made me think of a battle between car air fresheners: pine competing with hyper-sweet florals (carnation? geranium?), with a hint of cinnamon candies mixed in. Altogether, these notes clashed, and the overall effect was cheap, synthetic and frankly offensive. The drydown was only slightly more tolerable, and here's where the soapy Irish Spring element showed itself. Some people equate a soapy smell with "clean" or "fresh" but for me it came across as "cheap". I wash with soap, but I don't want that to be the primary smell in my fragrance.

On the plus side, this is a sillage monster. Well, that's not a plus if, like me, you want to wash it off almost immediately. But sillage and longevity are both strong.

I understand that scent preferences are highly personal, and that others will like this as strongly as I detest it. But I would warn potential buyers to avoid my mistake and try this first before purchasing. Even though Sung Homme can typically be picked up at an affordable or even bargain price, it should not be a blind buy. Caveat emptor.

Sillage: 9/10

tgnetz
tgnetz

I bought this after reading the reviews here and seeing these composted to another 80s power house that I love - Quorum. I was greatly disappointed. I don't smell the similarities. While Sung is a good fragrance, opening up strong and balanced, I found that the floral heat notes take charge and lead your nose into a bouquet of carnations, among other floral notes. The basenotes seem to stay hidden throughout it all, which is a shame. Had it had greater woody or spicy presence it would be a wonderfully complex yet balanced fragrance, but without it is just an okay cool weather scent. Sung seems to last forever but is not the sillage monster I thought it would be.

batty
batty

This is an excellent fresh,spicy,soapy fragrance. In my opinion its better than quorom or polo. Mostly because there is no heavy sweaty tobbaco. Also the added freshness with more florals makes it more versatile and superior I think. Very manly, longetivity and sillage our top notch, so go easy. For the price its a real bargain!

Zealous
Zealous

This was my daily driver for years. The initial opening is a piney note balanced against a soapy lavender note. The dry down is just a muted version of the opening.

MrStinky
MrStinky

Got it today for the first time.

It smelled really good for the first 15min-half hour. I definitely smelled some Polo in there along with the Irish Spring smell often mentioned. There's other stuff that I have no clue what they are. Just odd.
The destinctive pine of Polo, the Irish Spring, & oddness somewhat congeal after an hour or so.

Not a completely foul smell but not really great either. Very Strong. If you apply more than one spray you will be the dreaded "Cologne Guy". I paid $13.43 for a 3.4oz bottle. I probably won't ever have to buy another bottle for the rest of my life.

I'm wondering how much of my reaction is based on the color purple. It just seems like something that should be green or in a green bottle.

Update: I tried to like this fragrance. Tried it again today. It goes on GREAT, clean & fresh smelling but that fades after about 15 minutes. You're left with this underlying dirty animal smell to it that is unpleasant. The only thing I can compare it to is when I visited a place in Europe where they raised pigs. Like sniffing a bottle of Pine Sol while standing in a pigsty. I'm feeling like I may have wasted my $13.43.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

The opening is pleasant but after 15 minutes on my skin I get an overload of oakmoss. It smells of an old bathroom air spray we had at hunting camp. Not for me.

RHONORAY
RHONORAY

There are times it smells okay and there are times it just smells cheap and I like violet leaf. But it doesn't last very long, thank God because the drydown is even worse. As cheap as it is I still wouldn't ever buy it again.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I love Quorum, so I tried this one. Yes - it goes on smelling pleasantly like Quorum, but then quickly goes horribly astray with the geranium and carnation floral notes. (I don't like carnation at all.)

Scrubber.

vgd
vgd

I dont like Sung, goes too far with its extreme soapness, irritates my nose . It s interesting that that i like Quorum. Yes Quorum resembles Sung however Quorum has a tasty green woodness with balanced soapness.

Kharnak Rex
Kharnak Rex

Yes, I notice many compare this to Polo... indeed, the NEW reformulated Polo does smell very much like this. Polo no longer has that bitter cigar vibe it used to, and has been sweetened a bit.

I go for much dirtier animal types, but this, as i mentioned before, is a Fresh Floral, that is still masculine. Alfred Sung is a "Fresh" powerhouse.

Strong, rich, long lasting, Pine, Soapy Lavender. Purple juice. Very office friendly too.

Critic
Critic

Clean, sharp soap. Has a lavender cleaning product vibe but it's really quite beautiful.

scribs
scribs

wow ok i just got the 1.7oz bottle yesterday and im pretty sure it will last me THE REST OF MY LIFE! it is super strong, ONE spray and you are good to go, seriously, i am one of those people who has to rapid fire spray most frags to be able to slightly project...but THIS fragrance gets the job done. smells super clean and fresh, green-soapy . the inicial spray smells of pine needles and pepery lemon...as it dries you get a lot more patchouli , vetiver and moss. it gets an 8 o.o. 10 for me. love :)

vv1978
vv1978

As a woman I find nothing sexier than a well groomed man who takes the time to put on something fragrantly sexy that's also playful not into the sweet yucky leather tobacco stuff like PI ugghhhh. That being said, I enjoy being near a man who wants to smell like a sophisticated masculine powerful sensuous man, which is exactly why this stuff is great on any guy it will amp up your popularity for sure! love it!

Dimitrios
Dimitrios

wtf!
55 people think that this resembles Polo ?
Has the reformulated Polo changed that much ?

jyan727
jyan727

I have to say that Sung Homme is one of the cleanest scents I have ever smelled and definitely the cleanest one I own.
When I first sprayed it tried to go lightly but it coated my arm and released a pretty harsh foresty cleanliness....but oddly enough I loved it. It smells like I jumped in the shower real quick and used Irish Spring to bathe. I have never felt so clean but actually be kinda dirty (working in the yard). The dry-down becomes slightly more floral but I much prefer the opening and its cleanliness.
I asked my mom to smell it and she says it smells similar to Irish Spring or Zest bar soap, and indeed it does to me as well. This may be a turn off for some but I love it.
All in all I love it, but my only concern is that I don't have many circumstances where I can where this. I don't think I should smell this clean all the time and surely not if I'm trying to impress. Also, not everyone likes it in my family(just me and my little sisters) which is a pretty good determinate of how it may be received to the public.

I would say this is a try before you buy but considering the price (100 ml for under 11) you could snatch it up just to say you have it. Also, if you simply love clean smells, feeling clean, or Irish Springs then don't worry and jump on it right away.

On.A.Side.Note: I'm 19. If some believe age determines perspective on a fragrance.

Lifesaver0
Lifesaver0

OH Sung Homme, my all time eternal favorite! I remember buying this for the first time at Neiman Marcus in the early 90's as a twenty something. Unsuspecting, I opened the bottle and tried it for the first time. Cue the chorus of angels!!!!!! Out came this glorious fragrance of bergamot mixed with carnation and such bold projection and sillage. Every time I wear this even to this day the compliments and questions about what is that wonderful smell youre wearing occur. My signature scent for 2 decades now, truly an all purpose scent!

Raidersteveo
Raidersteveo

Well I don't think I agree with those who say this is very similar to Polo green. I think in order to achieve the Polo scent this could be mated with Giorgio for men or even just add a strong pine note to the Giorgio and you would be close. I agree w/Robbie X that there is most definitely a floral vibe in the drydown. I am getting a strong gardenia smell although I don't see gardenia listed in the pyramid. Having said that I could easily see this being unisex but that might require having to exclude ones self from all human contact for the first hour after application as the top notes are very masculine. All an all a pretty pleasant fragrance for me and the projection and longevity are great not to mention you can get a 50 ml edt for under $10.

krmarich
krmarich

I have been thinking about getting a bottle of Sung Homme for a few reasons. First it comes from the powerhouse era-1989 and its purple! I easily found a large vintage bottle made in Canada. Sung doesnt disappoint. It is unexpected and well worth the cash.

Just who is Alfred Sung? Perhaps the best designer from Canada. He produced one of the best male powerhouses that is largely overlooked. It is big and very green. There is as much pine as Polo, yet somehow Sung is more wearable. I am a notorious oversprayer and it can fill a stadium, so be warned.

There are some echoes of Quorum & Ted Lapidus PH( that I do not like) and Irish Spring bar soap(you gotta love that). The initial comparison quickly become erroneous. Its fresh showered clean for hours and is all weather friendly, unlike most others from that era. It has a very distinct character that you will never forget.

The opening notes remind me of those deep forests of Northern Ontario that I visited years ago. Galbanum- (my new fetish note) mingles with the petit grain and deep pine notes. The lumberjack quickly gets civilized.

It becomes urban chic like Toronto rising out of the wilderness and shining brightly over the lake. The aldehydes and discreet, well-composed florals appear occasionally. The carnation, rose, geranium, and jasmine are not as bold as I expected. It is luxuriant and well dressed regardless.

After several hours, this journey takes you back to a deep rich forest. The coumarin, vetiver, patcholi and oakmoss settle down on a solid bed of sensual woods.

I am honored to begin a history with this retro majestic purple classic!

PastelMoon
PastelMoon

Current formulation of Sung Homme reminds me much of current formulation of Benneton Colors (Men version).
Smells sharp, fresh, invigorating, citrusy -- makes me think of citronella candles, incense, 'forest' air freshener. It's very dry smelling, a feature which i like a lot in fragrances.

ohyousooners
ohyousooners

Old School Purple Delight! Fun, fresh, and unique!

When I first tried it, I thought "wow, kinda strong, kinda dated, kinda one dimensional". But, after giving it some time, it's really grown on me.

It's not very modern, sophisticated, or sexy. It's more of a clean, safe, and approachable fragrance. It makes for a great father/grandfather scent. And, it works very well in warmer temps.

I totally agree with the Irish Spring comparisons, however, it's a bit spicier and more complex. It gives you a very fresh out of the shower smell. If you go light with it, some might not even detect it as a cologne/EDT, but assume it's just your shower soap.

A big plus is it's outstanding longevity and sillage.

While this is not an everyday kinda frag for me, it's fun to grab from time to time.

It can be found cheap online, or in the discounters TJMaxx/Marshalls.

bachatu
bachatu

This fragrance is very synthetic in the beginning but settles down nicely. it has an efferescent vibe to it, Im guessing its the aldehydes. But it is also slight floral with along of course the soapy accord. the soap vibe settles down and the florals come out as time goes by. Overall, a great scent. This reminds me off Kenzo Pour Homme meets Drakkar Noir. Definitely a classic and thumbs up.

note, being a long time user of irish spring growing up I can say this DOES NOT smell like irish spring soap but it does smell like any generic soap in the beginning. This settles nicely, however, after 1 hour or so.

Less is more with this one. I spray away from the neck and max 2 or 3 sprays only!

hsuru4u

i layered sung homme with burberry touch and wow...it really jumps out at you.....the warmth of the burberry touch with the fresh sung homme...very nice...they compliment eachother.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

I used to think prada amber pour homme was the cleanest soapiest longest lasting fragrance. Not anymore. Sung homme is all of that with added crispy milk rice pudding nutmeg baked skin on top which gives it more interest than prada. It's the subtlest of spice but its very wearable. It is a BEAST for projection and lasts and lasts. But all the time it's soft and calming even though its loud. What I mean is its not annoyingly strong but snugly in your face. And it's so cheap it's a steal. I'd say its an all season scent too. Fresh in summer and cozy in winter.

aucffan1
aucffan1

I have to agree with the Irish Spring soap reference.. It is clean and smells decent... Try it and if you can get it for na decent price why not buy it...

It lasts a long time and is rather cheap... go for it..

Update 7-22013:

Wore this to the bar last night and got a hug from the bartender.. She was like, Oh mty god you smell so clean like a shower..." And kept holding me close for ever.. It was nice and I am glad she enjoyed me :-)

Cormach
Cormach

A fresh soapy fragrance. Quite nice but nothing special. Only moderate strength on me and I wouldn't repeat purchase.

hsuru4u

i like this. Fresh and soapy and great lasting power. My gf hates it but i find it refreshing and manly and different then all the light "fem" stuf for men in this day and age.

hsuru4u

Irish spring to the max....awesome projection..fresh and retro....not for every day but i can see it different then the standard metro sexual type fragrances comming out. For 7.99 its a no brainer...

rajeev
rajeev

if you wanted to know what RETRO smelt like... then its this - SUNG homme. incredibly distinctive, strong, retro scent.
the only masterpiece worth having from the house of alfred sung for men.
go for it. promise, you won't regret it.

ruchitdave23
ruchitdave23

i like this scent .....dont love it but i definitely do like it ....its aromatic to the core with some incense and wood in it after the mild citrus tone dies.
i can see why ppl would say it is ghastly .....its just too out of the box unexpected purple stuff......but let it settle for a half hour and give it a whiff....its got a combo of synthetic and natural ingredients .....aromatic incense and sandalwood with some leather and a smoky vetiver . ....its not for everyone .....takes a certain kind of gutsy upfront to the point and no bullshit guy to carry this scent off.
it is for sure a head turner . being so controversial im kind of surprised [pleasantly] that this has survived the test of time .......if you are a politician ,a school teacher ,a priest , a social worker , a manager ,a doctor or any other profession where there is a need to be politically correct and take care of ppls feelings ,then this one is not for you
but if you are a race car driver , a stuntman ,a writer,a soldier,a mechanic,a sniper or any other profession where your heaven may care daredevil personality needs to be expressed then this one is just perfect for you ....
this scent is not antisocial but it does not care about being very social .
feels like something jack reacher would wear......fans of lee child novels know what i mean by that.

jht4060
jht4060

I traded for this without having tried a sample. Perhaps it is something about the bottle I got or my olfactory receptors, but man did I regret it.

Based on the reviews, when it arrived I sprayed with abandon on my wrist (I like my scents strong) anticipating some variant on the 80s aromatic herbal bombshell. Within minutes I regretted my vigor as some weird combination of aldehydes and alien flowers assaulted my delicate sensibilities. Being an optimist, I decided to go for the ride - surely this was the top note that would mellow to enrich some underlying accord; no other reason to include such a nauseating top occurred to me.

As time passed and my neurons continued to die by the dozens, the alien flower top did gradually change, unfortunately by adding a cloying note that I normally associate with cheap rose perfume. Finally realizing that this was not a scent for me, I first rinsed my wrist, then scrubbed, then scrubbed again, then sprayed over my now raw skin with some dark vetiver-oud thing. Some progress, but close to the skin there was still that cloying alien flower. How could it overcome my favorite rooty woody notes? Was I forever going to associate my beloved vetiver with this ghastly purple fug? Were the molecules replicating in my skin?

When I was a biology graduate student, I did a lot of work with culture media, including adding various specific amino acids to media. I decided if I were going to feed them to yeast, I should have the courtesy to taste the pure amino acids myself. After all, meat is mostly polymers of these things and one of them I knew to be rather tasty (MSG, glutamate). I got through a few of them, whose taste I don't recall before I hit one that tasted intensely metallic. (I think it was tyrosine but don't hold me to it.) I quickly washed my mouth with water, then milk, then anything I could think of. The metallic taste grew and grew until it was all I could think of, rather like a bad headache that just can't be ignored. It took days for the taste to leave me, whether due to a few very persistent molecules or due to some psychological quirk I will never know.

The Cloying Purple Alien Sung began to seem like an olfactory tyrosine, fated to dominate my life for days. Happily, it was nearly gone by the next morning and vetiver still smells wonderful to me. Being unwilling to subject another unsuspecting Fragrantican to my experience, I decided not to trade it. So I dumped the Sung monster down the drain, carefully avoiding any spillage and washing it down with lots of soap and water. Fears that it would somehow make its way into the Seattle air through the sewer never materialized.

Okay, slightly embellished for effect, but not much. I am glad some people like this stuff, but please please don't come within sillage reach of me. Let's say a kilometer to be safe.

silentrich
silentrich

One of my favorite 80's fragrances. There's very few from this era that I can wear, but Sung Homme is one of them. Smells a lot like Irish Spring soap which to my nose doesn't smell dated, just clean.

Finisterle
Finisterle

This violet thing reminds me of unpleasant space aliens in sci fi movies. Creatures that lack humanity and are impossible to kill.

binx
binx

I spotted a 3.4 ounce bottle of this gorgeous purple liquid for only $9.99 USD, subsequently read the reviews here, then adopted a how-bad-can-it-be attitude and returned to the store to take the plunge and blind buy it to add as an inexpensive filler item to a gift basket I'm preparing for Father's Day.

Upon returning home, I just had to test it. Careful to spray the fragrance just once, after catching my first whiff of the scent, I immediately thought "Good grief! How the h*#! am I going to give this to someone?" and "Do I even dare donate the bottle to a thrift shop?"

Strong, sharp, harsh and only lightly citric, Sung Homme initially assaults...and even offends...the sense of smell. But, my initial panic and chagrin subsided as I recalled Gypsy Parfumista's comment about either loving or hating it once into the dry down...and my dislike did indeed change to appreciation as the fragrance transformed into a complex, fresh, yet spicy fragrance.

Ever so slightly reminiscent of Lagerfeld Classic in its eventual aromatic woodiness, Sung Homme is, to quote YR, a "wild and strange", long lasting fragrance. Hmmm...considering the opposite, that description seems like a reason to wear it.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

Very spicy-fresh, pungent and long-lasting. I like it, but I'd rather use it as a car deodorant or bathroom spray. I love the color of the liquid.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I have been warned that this scent may be difficult for a woman to wear, but that has never stopped me before!
I don't understand the reviews that call it "soapy" and "inoffensive". While there is a sort of Irish Spring feeling at the beginning, Sung Homme quickly becomes VERY strong, woodsy,complex, herbal, and EXTREMELY masculine in a traditional way. This is not a scent that will fade into the background, but neither is it sweet, cloying or overly musky.
The carnation note was luckily not excessive, only making me sneeze a couple of times about two hours into wear.
The drydown was almost incense-like, very pleasant.
I detected a subtle note of pipe tobacco, but as this is not a listed note, it must be the effect of various ingredients blending in a certain fashion.
I don't think many women will want to wear Sung Homme, but if you are adventurous I know you will be in for a real treat!
I loved the awesome longevity and powerful sillage. People kept looking confused because they seemed to think the scent must be coming from a large, "macho" man, and there was this petite woman!
This is now one of my all-time favorite scents!

Lock1454
Lock1454

*I do not have a nose that is well trained - this is my rudimentary opinion of this scent*

A very pleasant and inoffensive fragrance. A clean soapy scent that is dead on Irish Spring. Good for casual day wear all year round - one spritz and you're good. Although it isn't an offensive scent, I doubt many people would be overly enamored with it either, so don't expect many compliments beyond "Oh, you smell clean/fresh." I'd also be wary of using this for the office, it projects very well which is something I tend to avoid for such occasion. Lasts a very long time.

Also the bottle is quite attractive, I find the color of the juice in combination with the design of the bottle to be pretty cool.

ian85
ian85

Clean clean clean, and soap soap soap. Very "vintage", very fresh, very strong. If you wear it, assume it! One spray is enough, if more you will kill your neighbourhood... I like it, but not everyday, not everywhere!

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

I do get the resemblances towards Irish Spring, or for that matter Zest, or other classic bar soaps. But you can also get whiffs of lots more, very complex. Very intriguing to me that a frag can be so fresh and clean smelling and still be a powerhouse.

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

This fragrance is timeless!!! Never mind the period piece, nostalgic, 80's comments.. You can spray this purple perfection on ur neck and garner plenty of "current" day compliments! The epitome and father of ultra fresh, clean, but still masculine scents!! Can't really identify notes in the transition but I do smell the vetiver mixed with rose and a healthy dose of sandalwood and musk to give it balls. I presently purchase most niche frags but this old school fragrance is still in my rotation and IMO a classic!!! Just be careful not to purchase any spoiled bottles that has been a problem with this currently discontinued fragrance.. If ur lucky enough to get a righteous bottle you will enjoy..

machinestate
machinestate

Soap, soap, soap. Smells like a generic fragrant soap to me. I found this by searching by notes, using some of my favorites, and the scent is nothing like I expected. It's not awful, but not great either. It's what I would consider to be an "old man" scent. Additionally, I can't get the smell off of me, even 36 hours and a shower later, despite the fact that most scents are gone from my skin in 6 hours or less.

I really tried with this one, as I did with Kouros and others of this ilk. However, this is one I just can't enjoy. In fact, a bit over four years ago I sprayed twice to the chest one day and that resulted in a kind of chemical sensitivity syndrome (I could only wear one spray of mild scents for about half a year after that). And I have an older formulation, so it's not due to new regulations or super-cheapo reformulations. Okay, so what's the problem here?

I think it's a combination of several notes, but especially patchouli and castoreum. Though not listed, a castoreum-like effect is quite prominent to me. I do get the lemon at first but it's quite blended after that, and in fact this may be a great example of a "blob" scent that smells reasonably natural. For me the effect is nauseating, and it even affects my ability to appreciate other scents, so it looks like I need to avoid this one. Today I sprayed some on fabric and it started to make me feel ill with a couple minutes. Low ingredient quality could be an issue as well but it doesn't seem as low as the latest version of Lapidus Pour Homme, for example (IMO of course). Be careful with this one !

EauDeBaldy
EauDeBaldy

Definitely has that potpourri spice smell to it. I had this years ago and still remember it clearly, it was unique but not too great for me.

It's a strong one that if you aren't careful, it will bring you to feel like you are going to sneeze but can't sneeze ( you know that feeling -_- )

crazykoffee
crazykoffee

I remember waiting in line at Eaton's when this thespian first came out. Alfred Sung was little known in '90 and the purple bottle was quite cool at the time :) This will remain in my all time favourites list simply because I have never come across anything quite like it. It is complex and heavy and screams "90s." It is masculine and bold and definitely solicits compliments. Some of the younger guys out there might snicker at this venerable fragrance from a bygone era. It can be overpowering for some, so one has to be judicious with its application. In the summertime, one spray would do it. To me, it is a very warm, comforting smell that evokes a sensation of coziness and that all is well with the world. This is what aromatherapy is, right? To my untrained nose, I remember how it flooded my senses with a cornucopia of perceptible smells: soapy, mossy, floral, woody, citrus, spice and coniferous. And "yes" I DID catch the juniper and sandalwood also. I had a blind aunt who always requested that I sit with her exclusively for awhile, whenever I went to pay her a visit with my parents. She loved it so much, but she couldn't convince my stubborn uncle to wear it :( What I'm saying is that this scent is unique in how it makes you and the people around you feel warm and pleasant. One female classmate said this to me about Sung Homme at one time: "...It's nice and makes you approachable and believable, and its almost enough to make me want to jump your bones...but you're not my type!" Definitely a winner. This juice can be had for fairly cheap. I can get 100 ml (Yes, SI metric like 99% of the free world!) for around $20. I definitely recommend this one to the gents out there. Take a test first and wait until it drys out. You won't be disappointed!

word-doctor
word-doctor

I found this cheap. Being a seeker-of-bombs, I was pretty stoked to give it a try. But this is a real disappointment. I've had frags that are weak, or don't suit me. This one I just don't think is very good. I get a little Lapidus. But more than anything I get an unbalanced, acrid soapy accord with carnation lurking in the shadows. During my first wearing I actually got a little drydown that reminded me of vintage Old Spice, which got Sung a second chance. Twas not to be.

It's strong and has good longevity. But this is going to the thrift store. My wife, who's a Sung fan from way back, sent me to the shower.

Scent: 1
Sillage: 6
Longevity: 7

Bobster
Bobster

Let me start off by stating that I tested Sung homme a few years ago and did not like it all. The ash tray note that everyone associates with it did it in for me. Well, I got a chance to sample it a few weeks ago and I was blown away by it. I went back and bought me a bottle and check the batch code and it was made may of this year.Seems to my nose that EA has maybe reformulated it. The ash tray note is not as prominent as it used to be and it seems its more balanced and well blended. Don't get me wrong the ash tray note is still there just not as strong and more in the background. I can truly say EA has does a good job with this this year. If you come across this and not afraid to wear a macho manly scent give this a try. Longevity and projection are above average....A++++

Omega Man
Omega Man

Very long lasting and fairly linear 1980's man's man soapy/mossy/potpourri atomic bomb. Similar to Quorum but better in smell and quality. I think only lovers of vintage colognes will appreciate it.

rabbipinaud
rabbipinaud

I've come to adore this stuff. The first time I sniffed it in the bottle it seemed to me to be too "soapy", however once I shpritzed the juice on I was enveloped in a tremendously pleasurable and fragrant purple cloud that stayed with me all day and radiated out in a wonderfully gregarious manner. This is a great truly "men's fragrance",, very masculine a fantastic concoction of a bit mossy, clean fir/pine scent domminating with a very pleasing spicy carnation emanation. It definately has an aldehyde side that is however nice and a delicious spicy/herbal thing lurking in the background. This an alpha male scent. Perhaps it is very 80's, but what's so bad about that? Spray it on (it's tempting but not to much) and lead your pack to good times.

Tuvok
Tuvok

I've found this scent in polish on-line perfumery for 10 euros so after reading some reviews I decided to give it a try and ordered it. I suspected that it could be too mature for me to wear but I thought that in that case I would give it to my dad. After all it was launched the year I was born...After first sniff (I sprayed it on my wrist) I realised that it is too strong and mature for me, but I decided to test it in more apropriate way and sprayed it two times on my neck. And then it came to me, that it is that kind of scent that smells "bad" if you put your nose close to scented place. It created a kind of aura around me and I felt a very nice, clean, soapy smell which I liked a lot. It is for sure for special ocassions and a cold weather scent. I think that it will combine well with my leather jacket, jeans and brown boots. It is a manly scent, not for people who only wear Lacoste and Boss generic fragrances. Yeah it is slightly too mature for me to wear it, but I don't care what people say, because I feel good when wearing Sung Homme.

EDIT: My dad liked it so much, that he asked me to order him another bottle. I gave him mine, haven't seen him happier since I gave him Joop Homme :)

junior halston
junior halston

Think of Drakkar Noir and Sung Homme great friends back in the 80's they were young at the time handsome hung out a lot together were loud obnoxious but women were attracted to them.

Years just fly and Drakkar grew up moved on and mellowed down and reformulated himself to the changing times. He's still himself but older and no longer needs to be loud and show off.

Sung on the other hand can't face growing old and chaning with the times. He is still found in his dateD 1987 neon clothes and parachute pants with Velcro Reeboks at the same bar being loud and obnoxious. He can't change with the times ....

RobbieX
RobbieX

This is extremely nice! Potent, sweet, fresh, floral, soapy, woody and long lasting with character. This is a unique aldehyde retro fragrance and I really love it. It has very good sillage and staying power. Sung Homme is one of the most floral of men's scents but that makes a nice change from vanilla based scents at times - lovely.

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

I bought this stuff yesterday evening at TJ max. The 3.4 oz EDT and 3.4 oz aftershave gist set was $20! It's funny because as I took a shower earlier in the day, I thought to myself how much I love the smell of Irish Spring soap and wish they would coome out with a fragrance just for casual wear. The gods answered with puting sung in my path. I do get the irish spring in it, but it's a super familiar smell from childhood. It reminds me of christmas time shopping at pier 1 with my grandmother. It's pier 1 in a bottle with the pine and spices. I think it's going to be amazing when the weather gets cooler right between fall and winter. The projection and longevity are awesome and you dont need to cover yourself in it. Could be my winter signature.

shamus1
shamus1

This is a big 80s powerhouse that smells like Irish Spring Soap blended with cigarette butts. Sound nasty? It's not - it's awesome.

This is a sillage machine, so you need to appreciate the way it smells as it radiates off your skin. Don't judge it by sniffing your skin up close - it will smell cheap and rough. Just spray it on your wrists and chest, and kick back and enjoy being enveloped in a purple cloud of macho smell.

For power fans only. L'Eau d'Issey fans should stay away from Sung Homme. This is a MAN'S scent, not for little boys!

MY RATING: 9/10

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

can I say it almost smells like a mixture between RL's Polo and Halston z 14 ? I
Green, woody, soapy...yep like it...definitely a men's scent...

PS. U also get the burnt rubber smell 4 free !

pob75
pob75

I love this stuff - it's absolutely lovely. Tried it for a while and immediately stocked up with more.

Grottola (see below) sums it up nicely - "If ever there was such thing as a "fresh" powerhouse, Sung Homme would be it."

Clean, soapy, floral, fresh balanced with pine and later on some slight musky, leathery mossiness. Always smells quite masculine. I don't get the jellybean sweetness some below mentioned.

Potent - lasts for over 15 hours (I stopped keeping track at that point). Projects quite strongly for 7-8 hours - and still projects beyond that. Not overwhelming, but is very strong for the first 30-60 minutes. You certainly don't need to use much.

[It does definitely have similarities to Quorum but Sung Homme is fresher, cleaner, more floral and does not have the deep earthy smell that my girlfriend thinks makes Quorum smell like a horse's stable - just for the record - I like Quorum and don't agree with the "stable" comment from my other half]

rienzope
rienzope

Very much like irish spring, just a bit too much sweetness though after 2-3 hours. Still, it's the longest lasting fresh I've found and great for days you just want to smell clean.

Transapien
Transapien

While there are some thoughtful reviews about this one I don't get why it's loved so much. The smell makes me think of black and purple jelly beans mashed up and extracted. It also kind of reminds me of a marker smell, children's toothpaste, some kind of unlit incense or simply an odd jumble of a smell you might whiff in some novelty or thrift store.

danielmventer
danielmventer

A very Fresh ,spicy ,soapy and powdery fragrance Starts off very intence and strong ... after an hour it mellows down and the musty Fern(fougere) side appears. Very manly and dare I say an classic 80`s barbershop powerhouse fragrance as this one is very soapy and the base notes are classical in their structure. Lasts very very long!Reminded me of the "infamous" Kouros. But a much milder version without the cat pee pee notes. I still cant make my mind up about Kouros thou. Anyway, the reviewer RobbieX was right when he sais: "Potent, sweet, fresh, floral, soapy, woody and long lasting with character. This is a retro fragrance.."

Grottola
Grottola

If ever there was such thing as a "fresh" powerhouse, Sung Homme would be it.

With a vivid purple color and a tall, monolithic bottle that rises upward into the sky like the towering skyscrapers of 1980's corporate America, Sung Homme did what the last of most dying breeds does: it served as a transition.

Of course, this transition would be between the idea of a barbershop as clean to the idea of stepping out of the shower itself as clean. Aromatic fougères were no longer about being "barbershop clean", like most classic-style fougères or drugstore Pinaud fragrances. No, now, along with Cool Water, Green Irish Tweed, Eternity for Men, and eventually Acqua di Gio, it was all about that "fresh out of the shower" feeling all day, as the excess and raunchiness of the 80's simmered down and everyone had to get up in the morning and go to work. Aldehydes (and musks) were definitely getting soapier, and the smell of soap was utilized to its full potential in Sung Homme.

Sung Homme is most definitely an aromatic fougère, but it adds to that smell the green-soapy scent of Irish Spring, a popular soap at the time (still popular). It opens with BIG citrus and fresh, soapy greens like a blast of shower freshness in your face. After a short period of sweaty caraway and cumin-spiked herbal funk in the top, the soapy fougère center stands alone and surrounds you with an aura of sweet green soapiness (I'd like to say green and purple, but this isn't Barney). That soapy aura goes on for ages, over time dying down a bit to reveal a smooth patchouli/vetiver/oakmoss base. The vetiver and patchouli definitely lend to the soapiness, the same way they do in Kouros Fraîcheur.

Unlike a lot of powerhouse fragrances, Sung Homme isn't exactly sharp or abrasive; just really goddamn strong. But no matter, it's one of the best powerhouse fragrances out there, and it hasn't been screwed up by any reformulations yet. Considering how it goes for extremely good prices, I suggest snatching it up and layering it with a bar of Irish Spring for the ultimate smell of man-tastic cleanliness.

Good stuff! I highly recommend it.

perfumeholic88
perfumeholic88

My husband has this perfume. Well, it´s not for man who is littlebit over 20 years old, it´s good for +40. Strong and smells in the beginning like soap (aldehydes). My husband is using it in winter.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

It turns out I was wrong about Sung Homme. My initial tests were being compromised by a bad bottle, and olfactory fatigue from trying Halston Z-14 at the same time. Never test anything else with Halston Z-14. Your nose is sure to betray you.

I've been looking for a fragrance that smells like the original Irish Spring soap by Colgate, and after many years, I think I've finally found it. Sung Homme opens with a very bright synthetic accord of citrus, vetiver, and pepper. This rapidly transitions into a carnation, cinnamon, and musk drydown, with very little in the way of middle notes. Used after Irish Spring body wash (the reformulated version), and also the reformulated Irish Spring bar soap, this fragrance smells lovely. It amplifies the clean and green effect of the soap, and adds what the pre-reformulated version of Irish Spring had: a very spicy, creamy texture to go with the green. The only other fragrance that replicates this effect so well is Green Valley by Creed. Between the two, I'd go with Sung Homme, if only to save a few hundred dollars.

My guess is Sung Homme will be discontinued soon. The house of Sung doesn't seem to generate a whole lot of traction in the fragrance world. However, that doesn't stop this from being one of the most successful soapy fragrances I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

bonovox
bonovox

I received this from my girlfriend 15 years ago, and never repurchased it. It's not that it's a bad fragrance, but as YR describe so well it is "wild and strange". If any sent matched the color of its juice or bottle, this would be it. If I had to put a fragrance to the color purple I would pick Sung Homme. It definitely opens up with lots of floral notes but is not linear at all. The very fresh opening up bergamot and carnations is present for about 30 minutes, and in the heart of the fragrance you can sense a more Woody (Cedar) smell. The projection is moderate to light which makes it great for an intimate cologne if your significant other approves of this fragrance, and the longevity is very good (6 to 8 hours). If I was someone between the ages of 20 and 25 looking for something obscure, rare but just the right amount of sophistication without being overly mature this would be it. Spring, Fall, and definitely Winter formal. I would not buy it for myself again, but I thought it would review anyway.

Super cheap now, which isn't always an indicator of the quality of the scent, but for this particular fragrance I would agree that if you like it and find a cheap price for a bottle it isn't bad.

Longevity 8/10
Sillage 7/10
Scent 7.25/10

Kharnak
Kharnak

At first i thought it was way too Fresh & Feminine, since it has a very Fresh floral soapy powdery... Then it mellows down and the musty Fern(fougere) side Appears. Blends well, and after a while, it reveals a persistent musty Rosy Floral sweetness.
Turns more and more Masculine as it dries down. I always want this in my wardrobe whenever i feel i want "Fresh". To me, this is my impression of "Oriental." Flowers are symbolic of power and Royalty.

YR
YR

I had it as a gift... opening is very strong to me i don't like that maybe cause it wasn't my type of perfumes i use.It's Sharp,stong,very spicy..wild and strange.. it lasting long..perfect for nights out and for ppls whom like strong spicy perfumes

Astektomas
Astektomas

One of the WORST I had the dis-pleasure to sniff ...and wear...just once. I felt like coming out of a very drab and cheap beauty saloon somwhere in Siberia...awful.

This one is very strong and will last forever. It's very sharp aromatic and very soapy. It reminds me of a concentrate lavender oil & herb soap. The base is nice when it becomes weaker and less soapy. I actually like it but I know this doesn't suit me.

This was the last of the mens trio from Alfred Sung I acquired because I thought it would be entirely too "80s Powerhouse" for me, and I already had and loved Quorum (to which it is frequently compared), however I was pleasantly surprised...

It is spicy, green and very earthy but it also has a gentle soapiness about it and is floral in a very masculine way. And while it is similar to Quorum it is also very different in many ways...

Ever the "perfumisto" I went to Sungs website when I got conflicting notes on this one from other sites and the notes listed above match in the base, but not in the top and mid-notes. Here they are from the Alfred Sung website:

TOP:Mixed citrus topnotes(lemon and tangerine)combined with Laurel Nobile (aka:Bay leaf) galbanum and petit grain.

HEART:Herbaceous notes(lavender,geranium,thyme and fir needles) combined with Rich spices(sage, cinnamon and pepper)

BASE:Vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli completed by oakmoss and sensual musk

As you can see these differ slightly from those above and I must admit I smell the spices and the galbanum and perhaps the greeness of juniper and basil but predominately the florals I get are very dry & masculine. The caraway and other notes listed here could just be mixed nuances from the "actual notes".On the drydown I get something leathery but the woods and roots take center stage. As others have said spray carefully, it does come on STRONG and the citruses are very light, as if only to sweeten the spices and pungent herbs. This is a very distinguished fragrance and perhaps too much for the younger men of today. I think it is just perfect for cool fall days and long cold, wintry nights when you want to snuggle up to someone you love...

Sillage: Good
Longevity: Most of day or night
Overall: 3.75/5

This is a complicated layered fragrance that takes a lot of very stong essences and combines them quite artfully IMHO,it is DEFINITELY an aromatic fougere(I may not agree with that classification of HEI and PARADISE Homme but there is no question on this one)and being it came out in the late 80s may be,like I said, too strong for some. If you are intruiged by this spray ONCE to test and let it dry down,by the end of 15-20 minutes you will either Love IT!(like moi)or want to wash it off. There is pretty much no in-betweeners(that I've found)on this scent...love it or hate it-It's a Classic...

ScottyVizz
ScottyVizz

Yikes! All of these 80's powerhouse fragrances have this 'chopped salad' type of smell that I cannot tolerate.
The upside to Sung Homme is that the dry down is quite and pleasant and that it will last for HOURS and HOURS.

instantjim
instantjim

On the strength of the reviews here at Fragrantica, I bought this fragrance. It was just as I expected: like Quorum, but slightly less sharp, not quite as strong, definitely sweeter and more floral.

It is missing the really arid accord that both Quorum and Yatagan Share. To me it's like someone mixed a bit of Lagerfeld Classic with Quorum, but only enough to tone the latter down a bit.

The floral notes become more obvious as this evolves on the skin and it passes through a stage where it seems to have more in common with Worth pour Homme, than any other fragrance. The longevity is good (perhaps 6 -8 hours).

Castor
Castor

Sung Homme has very strong top notes, which experts say it is one of the characteristics of aromatic fougeres; however, the whole composition has average longevity.

Top notes are dominated by close to the skin floral / paper-like notes for the wearer. In the case of those around him, they might get only the sweet floral notes, which might be due to the presence of geranium. Base notes are classical in structure.

andy
andy

i think this is for a much older person but it still has a nice woodsy spicy scent

SaintLue
SaintLue

Very Strong.VERY.I Agree With Arkangel that one Full Spray is enough.Anything other then that can kill Somthing lol I Sprayed it today for the first time around 4 Pm and its now 10pm and i still smell it going strong.Its an okay scent but nothing i would wear too much .

knightz
knightz

Sung Homme opens similar to, and as strong as, Quorum by Antonio Puig. I immediately thought of Quorum's slightly harsh soapiness when I first smelled this. It has a similar feel to it, but the two scents are different. If you like Quorum you might like Sung Homme as well.

The conifer notes dominate, along with the aldehydes, for the first hour, then after an hour it sweetens up with some florals and takes on a sweet mossy spiciness, still soapy. Longevity and sillage are very good. Very masculine.

Marcel
Marcel

I agree: it's a bit strong, but at the same time it's quite fresh.

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung 3.77 out of 5 based on 224 ratings and 82 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Alfred Sung Sung Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Alfred Sung Sung Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sung Homme by Alfred Sung. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sung Homme by Alfred Sung represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.