Designers » A » Leather « Groups

Memoir Man Amouage for men
dislike

I have it: 698 I had it: 158 I want it: 824 My signature: 32

Memoir Man Amouage for men Pictures Memoir Man Amouage for men Pictures

The perfume arrives on the market in September 2010 and belongs to leather-woody-fougere fragrances. Perfumer Karine Vinchon built it around central note of absynth. Top notes are basil, mint and wormwood; middle notes are lavender, incense and rose; base notes are sandalwood, guaiac wood, oak moss, amber, vanille, tobacco and leather.

It is a part of fragrant pair along with edition for women. Available as 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum. The nose behind this fragrance is Karine Vinchon Spehner.

Basil Mint Wormwood

Lavender Incense Rose

Sandalwood Guaiac Wood oak moss Amber Vanille Tobacco Leather Vetiver Musk

Memoir Man Fragrance Reviews

amirali0072000
amirali0072000

This aromatic and fresh spicy masterpiece by Amouage smells great. I also can smell Balsamic and Woody accords with a bit Green scent. The scent of Wormwood and Mint is dominant. In addition I can smell a beautiful blend of Tobacco and Leather with a bit sandalwood and Basil notes. Like other Amouage products, both longevity and projection are significant. It is a good choice for Fall and Winter. I like it.

Kerryd504
Kerryd504

There is something about this fragrance...

something that makes me feel... awesome!

its dark, mysterious, seductive. at first sniff i said no... now i cant get enough of it.

i wrote a review on jub xxv, this is better!

the first 5 minutes throw me off, but after that it becomes strangely beautiful. it projects very well and sillage is great with me. yet it doesnt slap you in the face like interlude. reminds me a lot of honour. but this is so much more elegant!

i plan to wear this year round. i wore it today in the heat (2 sprays) and it did something i cant explain except for saying it was beautiful.

this one for me: 10/10

KingBoris
KingBoris

up fσr ѕwαp

dmetzger
dmetzger

Taken aback at first spray. Mint chocolate chip for days!

Then...meh :0/

I am once again bamboozled by Amouage. The scent and power and projection I was hoping for just isn't there. Its beautiful and has a level of mastery that seems effortless-sure. But the tobacco and wormwood and leather and basil are pretty much nonexistant on my skin-which is what I bought this for.

It's beautiful but it's not exactly what I planned.

I will update if anything changes after a few more wears.

Little Prince
Little Prince

The woods category in perfumery is a tricky and difficult one. A traditionally safe card for masculines, a perfumer with some decent work and budget may achieve a dignified composition. However, an abstract fully developed woods scent is something scarce. Thus many of them although very good never leap to excellence. Rare cases such as Fahrenheit, Guerlain Vetiver, Sycomore are products of perfumers which simply put, had the vision and balls to make such scents defying marketing or stereotypes.

I am not experienced enough to know the reason behind this but I imagine since woods is the safest masculine category it applies to many men that simply want to smell as men without misunderstandings, uncomplicated but not dull and kinda charming/mysterious. So perfumers usually get lazy, rehash a familiar accord make the opening a bit catchy and voila! The marketing department then adds the… mystery (e.g. a philosophical journey, for a man that defies, etc). So we have a cedar-patchouli-vetiver that is supposed to smell different because of the bottle and the story that comes with the perfume. In most cases, mediocrity is evaded through the use of high quality materials and twists.

Memoir Man is one such case. The fragrance smells very good with a bitter green herbal top of wormwood, mint, basil (the catchy phase), a high quality (as expected from Amouage) silver frankincense that infuses the whole scent from top to bottom with depth and atmosphere and a fougery backbone of vanilla and lavender (the twist). Some vetiver cements the composition adding class. So we have a unique opening followed by a sail to safer waters for the rest of the journey. The whole thing has a very convincing structure and balance but as mentioned above doesn’t make the leap to abstraction to become a masterpiece.

Personally, I own lots of vetivers, incenses and woods that are more classic and comforting. Hence, I fail to justify the presence of Memoir Man in my wardrobe. I am sure though that is bound to be very likable by the majority. Very good.

p.s. I have a tester 98% full with cap and box. If anybody is interested I can make a swap for Aventus/Gold pour Homme/Bois D'Encens/Nicolai Pour Homme/Yohji Homme/Derby/Cuir De Russie/Dia pour Homme/L'Air du Desert Marocain/Parfum De Therese/Onda/Lampblack/or another offer.

NZFH
NZFH

A layer of green minty freshness floating above a deep dark inky black pond .. very deep...

Opens somewhat ugly on my skin, a rotting vegetal accord, probably caused by the wormwood, but I know by now not to judge an Amouage by the opening 5-10 minutes. The conflicting notes always settle and harmonise, revealing their patterns, as they do here.

This fragrance makes me not want to analyse or pick it apart note by note. It stops me over-intellectualising. I would rather talk about the images it evokes.

Like a classic sports car gliding through a fragrant forest, it's just rained, but not the deep green rainforest of Epic Man, it's a European forest, and it's very dark, late at night... smelling the leather seats, while fresh leafy green aromas are wafting in through the car window...

And like Rick Bennett below, I also get a person. Again, someone older, cold, a bit cruel ... I see a Southern gentleman, on his porch, with his tobacco and pipe, a rocking chair, rifle ... there's a certain refinement in this person, "old money" perhaps, but also a casual cruelty, a cold-hearted nature....

I don't feel any warmth in this fragrance, at all, it's very dark and cold. It succeeds in conveying a vague sense of nostalgia, but difficult to pinpoint ....

This fragrance pulls off the unusual feat of smelling classic, refined, and suave in an old-school way; whilst at the same time being avant-garde, mysterious and weird.

It's fascinating!

MickZ
MickZ

I have tried this numerous times and I simply can't bond with it, which is unfortunate because I love Amouage fragrances and I had high hopes for this one. I recognize that I'm swimming against the current here. Something about the components comes across to me as smelling like kibble. I simply can't shake this and it was my initial impression.

It's just too green for me, and the varied and incongruent ingredients -- from mint, basil, and wormwood to tobacco, leather and incense -- are a discordant mishmash to my nose. I find several of the others in the line more wearable, including the oft-maligned Fate Man, despite its heavy cumin on top.

Try before you buy. 5/10.

JezzaN1
JezzaN1

Definitely not something i'd usually wear, however I wore it out to dinner on the weekend and it wasn't too bad. For the first hour or so the mint is too overpowering for my liking - it almost smells like you've smeared yourself with (decadent) toothpaste and a bit of incense, but after that initial period the mint dies away a little, and you end up with a more balanced fragrance where all of the other notes come out to play.

In my opinion this one doesn't hold a candle to the almighty Jubilation XXV, but still a fragrance worth trying at the very least. As expected from Amouage, really solid performance.

gedlive
gedlive

I have tried about 7 of the Amouage fragrances and Memoir Man is the most unique and unlike the others.

It is very beutifull, but it took me a long time to fully appreciate. It's minty herbal cool, yet it's burning hot. I'v never experienced a fragrance that blends contrasts so uniquely and beautifully.

I purchased this in cold weather month, when the heat of the fragrance doesn't come through, you may need to wait for warmer weather. The top notes are very true, mint, artemisia, and basal, so you get a cool freshness from the mint, and the bitter green artemisia , basil ads some aromatic texture to the opening accord.
The incense is a main player, and it's a beutifull aromatic incense, not the ashen churchy incense of say Avignon for example. It's like chared wood that's still smoldering. The rose is a slight nuance of the smoke. Wow, and then you get some leather.

So this is a green incense, leather fragrance, that's best in Spring and Fall or Summer nights.

So for those looking for an incense fragrance that is hot, aromatic and smoldering, yet minty fresh and can be enjoyed in warmer weather, give this a try. Performance is great.

Rating: 9.5/10

God bless. John 3:16

sheynose
sheynose

Light mint and not much else. Just a few wisps of smoke and leather trying to escape early on. The leather comes through later and blends with the mint making a rather nice dry down. I found this to be a rather light overall, staying fairly close to the skin and lasting around four hours. It reminds me of a lighter more wearable Cartier Roadster. And since Memoir costs about eight times as much I think i'll just stick with Roadster to get my mint fix.

keshweannair
keshweannair

Very High Quality Incense.

Matured, Classy, Mysterious.

8.5/10

Russian's man
Russian's man

Memoir Man it's one of the most ''addictive'' fragrances that I have ever smelled. Why? perhaps for the mint and wormwood that give a ''sophisticated coolness''. Personally, this fragrance it's not very ''Amouage'' on style. The incense it's present but the most remarkable are the fougère accords.

Memoir Man it's very suitable for Autumn and Winter. One of the most rated Amouage fragrances for many but not so opulent like Jubilation XXV... Even so, very magnetic, manly and original.

Scent: 8
Longevity: 7
Projection: 6
Sillage: 6
Uniqueness: 8
Versatility: 6

Overall: 6,83

UPDATE ON THE REVIRW BELOW:

I went to a store and tested a non magnetic bottle of Memoir Man and got certain that it smelled different than what I had, I was about to write to confirm what I wrote below. However, something clicked in my mind and it turned out to be the issue that resolved the mystery. I noticed that the store's tester was smooth but a little bit weaker. Its smell reminded me of my own bottle but it seemed to be that my Memoir fails to open up all notes and remembered that tobacco note is very intense. It reminded me of the same issue I had with Narciso Rodrigueez for Him which is the issue of application distance. When you apply NR for him from close distance, you dont get to smell the right smell. But if you give it the right distance, in that case 15-20 cm, you get the right smell. Such thing happens when intensity of the perfume and atomizer dont match. For every perfume with certain level of intensity and functionality of atomizer , there must be a certain distance that works best.

So, I came back home and applied Memoir on my other hand from very very far, like 40 to 50 cm. The result was surprising, I got the same smell that I got from non-magnetic cap! So on coming next days I am going to find the best application distance. I guess 30 cm must be the best for my bottle and its atomizer.

miladabbasidxb

I got my bottle of Memoir from a store in Dubai Outlet Mall. I have bought several bottles from there and it seems that they sell genuine original bottles. My bottle is magnetic cap. And I feel it is almost totally different than the non magnetic cap. The problem is that Amouge stores and booths in Dubai have been using non magnetic cap bottles as samples but sell the magnetic ones.

Here is what I feel about the two:

Non magnetic: beautiful green openning and with a nice incency dry down. I can rate it almost the best perume I have smelled and could call it perfect only if the green opening lasted longer.

Magnetic cap: almost same greeny opening but the dry down is heavy heavy tobacco. That's all I smell. No traces of incence that I could smell in non-magnetic. I am disappointed and I dont like the fact that Amouge and even all stores that sell amouge in Dubai use non magnetic sample bottles despite the fact that magnetic cap bottles are around for more than three years.

Can you guys please share your experience and thought over the reformulation issue?
Might I be wrong or I have a fake bottle?

To guys who are willing to buy new bottles, please get sample first and wait for other reviewers to sharr their thought about this.

rnasim
rnasim

The best perfume among all Amouages that I ever tried, and I tested practically all of them. Spicy, fresh, not too smoky, and very very aromatic. I put a drop once on my wrist and I was feeling this amazing smell the whole day.

After dry down it reminds me a fragrance from the Escentric Molecules by Geza Schoen but worn inside a pine tree forest.

Hotaxis
Hotaxis

Gorgeous and very leafy wormwood.
then dark Incense and woody, very special fragrance can't surely describe.
another masterpiece from Amouage.
Great sillage and longevity.

رایحه ای شیک ،عطر برگ افسنتین
پس از آن رایحه ی دودی تاریک وچوبی خودنمایی میکند
واقعا توصیف چنین شاهکاری از امواج دشوار است
پخش بو و دوام ،بسیار عالی ست

aniwolfe

Today at the office as I write this. I got stopped by my co worker and she said this is her favorite. She explained to me that it smelled like opening a fine wood chest. Performance is great and this the magnetic cap.

vihri
vihri

A leathery, dark incense fragrance with a powdery after taste. Very modest projection and average longevity. Some have said it's leafy green - I don't get any of that, it's a dark scent all throughout. It sits close to the skin from the start and brings associations of a lazy night at a bar with no other people around. And really, Memoir somehow reminds me of loneliness. I don't see it getting any compliments from the ladies, nor do I like its dark, melancholic, almost depressive vibe on me.

Update: I've tried this again in the warm and humid summer weather near the sea, and wow, I actually find it interesting now. It grows on me.

Smoldering, with hints of mint, close to the skin, very church-like, very unusual and with a lot of character. Quite fascinating and unique in a world of me-too fragrances!

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - mint, incense, & wormwood.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the colder months, day or night.

Projection - I didn't get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 6hrs consistently.

bailão
bailão

Memoir Man is the best Wormwood/incense/sandalwood/mint I have ever came across! Hands down the best night out/polite fragrance!This one is the true definition of MASTERPIECE!

Overall rating: 9.5 out of 10

Houstonx
Houstonx

Out of 5 Amouages I have (Interlude, Lyric, JXXV, Reflection and this), this one and Lyric got the most compliments. But Interlude is in a completely different class on its own. Memoir Man is quite classy, boozy, and different. It doesn't smell like anything I smelled before. It's longevity is good but turns into a skin scent after 2-3 hours. If you want an all day projection, you need to carry a bottle and spray a spritz or two every 2-3 hours.

acidnbass
acidnbass

This was one of my first Amouage experiences after hearing the brand lauded so frequently among different communities, and it has definitely left an impression...of incredulity.

With distinctly minty frankincense in the opening, particularly the frankincense serrata species with it's sharper lemony nose, this fragrance almost reminds me of a mint mojito. It's refreshing, and the prickly incense in the beginning is like the effect you might get sticking your nose in the bubbling glass of mojito that you had just ordered from the bar. It is sweet and sporty, and clean, with a very mellow white musk and Iso E Super drydown. I would expect there to be lots of synthetics in this fragrance, chock full of standard musks like galaxolide and cashmeran imparting longevity.

I am wondering if the fragrance pyramid listed here is mostly hallucinogenic interpretations as this smell does not come across nearly as complex as the list of notes here claims. I get no tobacco or guaiac at all as this is not smoky to me whatsoever, nor do I get rose, sandalwood, or even true vanilla, which would all bring a lot of depth to what I detect as a fairly simple fragrance. It's nice, but not particularly so.

Try a sample of this before buying. I could see the minty lime mojito incense quality of this maybe intoxicating some people enough to splurge on this pricey flacon, but this bored me kind of quickly.

gilsong9
gilsong9

Pra mim cheira a maconha! (To me smells Marijuana!)

NicheMaster29

The best in the mens line period and the most versitile and wearable too

burnie88
burnie88

IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS
My Blind Buy Memoir arrived and I sprayed it on the back of my hand. Marvellous, dark, ashen, incensed. Smouldering in my Saturnine sphere I read the reviews here.
Ohhhh, no absinthe for me, no mint, no green, only Childe Harold heading to the Dark Tower. And though great as this was, I felt disappointed as minutes went by, with no counterpoint to this incendiary quest through the smoking landscape. Reformulation, was the cap magnetic, shouldna skimped on the 50ml and got the 100ml instead? I decided to quest onwards and spray again on my hand and then twice on the other wrist. And then it happened. The Tower rose and all the ramparts went up around the central structure of smoky incense. Green, new-minted and jade-anisic, joined in with ash and black and the trumpets blew.

Rookie Mistake: Blow off the first spritz or two to get to the real thing. A lesson for me and makes me wonder about first impressions.....

Amouage Masterpiece that goes well with;
Bruckner, Symphony No.8
Browning, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
Iskender Kebab, eaten in Antalya
Turner, Snow Storm; Hannibal and his Army Crossing the Alps
World Domination.

borys
borys

This one reminds me of the Dior's Fahrenheit Absolute after 30 minutes (as soon as the mint is gone) and it does not represent what I like about Amouage products so far. The perfect Amouage trio for me is: Epic, Jubilation XXV and Reflection.

NicheMaster29

This is the niche version of Gucci pour homme 1. I absolutely love this fragrance and so far out of the amouage line I have smelled this is the BEST. It's not to daring like interlude and doesn't have any "take the good with the bad" type nuances to it. Just a great smelling woody fragrance for a man. Period. You will get amouage quality and this can be found heavily discounted , like $130 for 100ml discounted I've seen some places. A must have if you like woody fragrances.

Edit update***

I just got a 100ml bottle of this shipped from beautyspin.com which showed up beautifully packaged in 2 business days for $114.00!!they have a sale right now that gives you 25% off and if you enter take10 in the coupon code box you will get an extra 10% off. Get it while you can guys. It's the magnetic cap version NIB too. Guys, this is so good I could care less about any reformulations. The smell, the longevity and the complmnts are making me think I just may have decided on my new current signature scent. I am so picky and I've been on such a long long quest for the perfectly done wood scent...look no further. This is so good.

bjorn.neves
bjorn.neves

This just continues the fact that I've not smelled an Amouage fragrance that I like yet. Its just a strange smell, don't like it.

It is dark for sure.

I have given it a few wears in what I think is the appropriate setting I will be selling it because it disappoints me.

Das Huffer
Das Huffer

I've held off reviewing this one, in the same way that one gets tongue tied when meeting their favourite celebrity. Yes, I'm that impressed...
This is (in my opinion) the Holy Grail of perfumery. A high price point FULLY justified. Amazing evolution, great sillage and longevity.
If you're a fan of dark, woodsy, incense, then I cannot recommend strongly enough that you allow yourself to experience this!
Memoir Man was one of the first fragrances to stop me dead in my tracks on first whiff. The initial basil blast with the full choir of dark players sliding in from the wings. Beautiful!
Karine Vinchon Spehner needs to be acknowledged for her genius in creating this. I love it smelling it from the bottle, I love it after 8 hours on my skin, and I love every stage in between.
Brava, brava!!!!!

gelo999
gelo999

Memoir is a nice woody-leather fougere.

The green and aromatic entrance is dominated by absinthe. A touch of lavender and pink round the central green bed, but quickly settles incense to dominate until the end of drying.

This incense agreement is not dense, full of dry wood, leather and snuff notes, all sweetened by vanilla and amber, but just enough to avoid sharp peaks modular and smoke, in this moment everything becomes dark gray, Memoir's like meditation and would like to convey melancholy, at the same warmth and maturity.

Rating: 7.5

noblenose
noblenose

Träig, bitter påminner om wonderwood från cdg men är betydligt dyrare och det måhända att den är mer intrikat men verkligen inget speciellt.

Yigor
Yigor

This is a really strange scent. I can't decide whether I like it or not. When You apply it it definetly smells dark and has an absinth note. Someone wrote only Death himself could wear this scent. I would not go that far, but it has this really dark and cold smell. After sometime it changes to a more tobacco like smell and it gets a little warmer. All in all it is really hard to describe its smell, so be sure to test befor you buy. I would not recommend to blind buy it.

Update:
I just bought a bottle. I just like it more than I dislike it. It's so mysterious and shadowy that I could not resist. Got a magnetic cap bottle made in Oman in 2015.

Revisited:
This scent is incredible. You definitely have to be very patient on this one. It ends on the very opposite where it started. After six to eight hours after applying it becomes a very warm and cosy scent with a warm and prominent vanilla. The journey it takes there is very exciting and nonlinear. Every few minutes I smelled something different flying by, it's hard to describe for me. Be patient and get really rewarded on a lasting journey on different impressions on this really nicely done scent. I applied two sprays under my shirt, one on the wrist and one to the neck. Seems to last an eternity, 10h+. Enjoy :)

smora
smora

This scent really shocked me, caught me off guard. It's really dark, like the darkest winter day. Saturated, oriental. One can say Sherlock Holmes would wear this, but I believe Prof. Moriarty prefers Memoire. Bitter dampness of dark cellar, while on the table are the plans for conquering the world. Basil and absinthe in the start, soon accompanied by rose, incense, leather and vanilla. Darker than evil soul. Don't wear it on date, you will give the impression of Jack The Ripper's presence.

Scentrack: Hans Zimmer - Discombobulate

Rating: dark *****

Salvas
Salvas

What it Smells: Incense + Mint.
Fresh, sophisticated, mature.

Amouage Memoir has blended with harmony two parts of the world visiting each other.

Buysblind
Buysblind

Opens with a pleasingly medicinal and very green note created by the merging of mint with absinthe, herbal and softly aromatic though quite substantial as far as its composition is concerned. Curious and unique, with something of a mysterious edge, it makes for a wonderful beginning. Behind the green opening accord there are notes of vanilla, composed with just the right amount of restraint to accent the fragrance without dominating it or stealing focus from the larger picture. An ashy gray incense follows behind moving Memoir Man into its darker heart, at which point there is something charmingly eerie about it, a sort of quiet, meditative peacefulness that might be found in some secluded corner of the woods at dusk. In its final dry down there's comfort, as the vanilla lasts long into the base and residual smokiness from the incense leaves behind a sense of warmth and tranquility. These are the major evolutionary segments of Memoir Man in my experience and what I remember mostly about it, as I wore it on and off for a couple of years before passing on my bottle. It's an excellent fragrance and personally my favorite from Amouage. Great to wear outdoors in chilly weather, and it has something of an hibernal nature, almost as if it was born during the winter somewhere deep in the Northern Hemisphere. Definitely recommended for sampling, Memoir's only downfall depending on your day-to-day occupation may be versatility, as it seems too contemplative and solitary a fragrance for routine types of work. Great longevity and just the right amount of projection. Thumbs up.

Just a side note: If you're already a fan of Memoir Man, you may want to look at Vikt by Slumberhouse. Though they do not smell the same, Vikt is also something of a green fragrance with a dark, and almost foreboding aura. In fact I always found Memoir Man very dark until I tried Vikt-- at which point Memoir Man seemed much brighter and friendly in comparison. It can be a challenging scent though, so be sure to sample first.

mutlu Korkmaz
mutlu Korkmaz

Long-lasting and strong smell . A little Arabic line. I very like spices

orabsolute
orabsolute

For me, starts off as a blend of mint, wormwood, and incense. Although the mint isn't terrible, it does dominate the other notes more than I'd like. The leather becomes more apparent after a couple of hours. Unfortunately, it's more of an acrid rubber smell than a luxurious leather.

Other reviewers have called this Gothic and dark, but to me it's fairly middle-of-the-road and bordering on designer/generic. Maybe my sample is post-reformulation.

jaretz
jaretz

I just got this as a sample from SCENTTRUNK and wow. I really enjoyed this, amouage scared me away with XXV (im sorry but that just smells like a old woman in a church in 1783) but this is fantastic, like opening a treasure chest or walking through a antique store with old woods just dark roasty wood very smooth and rich this is a must try, if you have not ever sampled this i would recommend it highly i only wore it once but i really enjoyed it.

O2
O2

★★★★★

عطر أمواج ميموار الرجالي باختصار هو عطر السكينة والوقار والفخامة يناسب الرجال الناضجين أصحاب الشهادات والمؤهلات الجامعية والأكاديمية الرفيعة جداً ..

Jamiljames
Jamiljames

This comes across as a dark perfume. There is a darkness to the green elements which I really like. The mint is not overbearing. A beautifully dark smokey perfume.

atlaseetschristmas

The magnetic cap only lasts 4-5 hours on me. Major letdown, I was finally able to afford this magnificent fragrance and it's been neutered :(. The original lasted like mad on me, I smelled it 24 hours after applying. The scent is slightly different as well, trying it side by side with my old sample. It seems the frankincense plays a bigger role, and the overall composition is slightly sweeter to me. I am thoroughly disappointed. While this is still a good fragrance, It no longer feels worthy of it's price tag in terms of performance. Oh well! Time to sell.

the_badger
the_badger

Frankincense, frankincense and a dab of mint, that's all I smell. Definitely unisex. And definitely not my type of incense nor the one I had in mind.

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

I like this very much. Herby at the start, then fragrant smoke, soft woody at the end. For me strongly fresh tobacco from start to finish - this tobacco part reminds me of Polo. I love the way the smokiness comes on. It's like watching someone preparing, and then lighting, a pipe. For me it evokes a person, rather than a place. Many decades ago, an older man, a country squire, old fashioned, smartly dressed, cold, quiet, strong, a bit cruel. Obviously a pipe smoker.
Very satisfying scent, very masculine. I would definitely wear it, if I could justify the eye-watering price tag.

Maolfakto
Maolfakto

I have these perfumes. I'm in love in the brand Amouage. I have yet Jubilation XXV, also wonderful. Only the price prohibitive. I recommend strongly. On my skin, I feel the powerful smell of incense and wormwood. Scent lasts more than 10 hours and is wonderful. Maciek from Poland
16.06.2015

Pare159
Pare159

Mint, woods,& pencil shavings. Bold clean different.

acidnbase
acidnbase

I'm thinking of black and green everytime i wear Memoir Man.. It's kind of fresh, cool, herbal on top but when the incense, tobacco and leather kick in, it gives you this smoky, dark and mysterious vibe.. I also get vanilla on the later part but it's not sweet, just enough to balance the whole composition.. Memoir Man is really complex and that's what i like about it! It's a serious, grown up scent to say the least! Another great offering from Amouage!

fenxx
fenxx

I hate to talk about reformulations, but this has been changed and not for the better. It was sharper and more "assertive "before. Now it feels a little emasculated. Having said that it doesn't smell bad, but it's an expensive fragrance - I was on the fence about buying the old formulation but i definetly am sure i will not buy the new one.

aniwolfe

This is the best thing I have ever sprayed on. I could literally just have this and forget the rest. I have the magnetic cap version. I also have compared the non and mag cap. I slightly perfer this one. I enjoy the opening more and the drydown is almost the same. Lasts a long time and projects moderately. All year round for me 10/10

Hasan603
Hasan603

به نظر منم شاهکار! اصلا عطرای این برند شبیه هیچ عطری و هیچ برندی نیس ! گرون هست ولی ارزششو داره !

landshark321
landshark321

Memoir Man is another consistent entry by Amouage, and the first fragrance of theirs I've tried that is both leathery and woody, in addition the possessing the usual smoky incense DNA of the Amouage line. Its opening is a bit sharper than its dry down, but apart from that predictable softening, it is relatively linear, the dominant notes being the wormwood, incense, and vanilla.

Projection and longevity are both stronger than average as far as Amouage and most EDPs go, and this rings mostly as a cold weather night fragrance.

Memoir reminds me of Parfums de Marly's Pegasus in that the wormwood e elements of Memoir are very similar to the anise in Pegasus. It also reminds me of Imaginary Authors' Memoirs of a Trespasser in their similarly powerful incense/vanilla combination. Especially given the availability of IA's MOAT on the market, I'd be hard-pressed to find a reason to purchase Memoir at the standard Amouage price (on Luckyscent: $300 for 100ml, $250 for 50ml) but it's certainly an intriguing take on the ideas explored in Pegasus and MOAT.

If you enjoy the sweet incense vibe, this should be one you try, since you may prefer it to Pegasus or MOAT----I simply prefer MOAT myself.

6 out of 10

atlaseetschristmas

For my first foray into the world of Amouage, I went with Interlude and memoir. The former was the one I was sure i would LOVE while the latter was just something that sounded unique. Disappointingly enough, Interlude didn't give me the mind blowing love that I was expecting. But Memoir...Memoir is stunning! I really really love this. Opens up green, grassy and complex. The mint-incense combo is ethereal, conjuring up images of cold crisp tendrils of white smoke swirling through the air of a himalayan temple. There Is definitely an absinthe vibe as well in the beginning that adds a licoricey, swirling grassiness to it all. The dry down introduces tobacco, lavender, and a few other woods to the table that all make the scent much more contemporary and "domestic". It smells joyous. Earthy, but fresh in a dark and mysterious way. Performance is very good, both longevity and projection are above average. Close to a 10/10 for me, If only I could afford a bottle!

Santos89
Santos89

Memoir Man is quite special. To me Epic Man, Interlude Man and Memoir Man are the trio of the Amouage line in the sense that they share some distinct notes and structures.

Where the other two feature either spicy notes or oud as the main motif, and have a brighter feel, Memoir Man is all grown up and is distinctly austere and with a sense of melancholia.

This is a serious fragrance, and it's very dark. I loved this from the first snif, as it's so different from the typical designers out there today.

In a way this pays homage to the woody fragrances of the 70s and 80s, with it's notes of leather, woods and spices.

At the same time it's distincly an Amouage, with that trademark Omani incense as the backbone of the fragrance.

This is a tough one to describe, as it's impeccably blended and with a great complexity. This is not a safe blindbuy at all, it needs to be tried on skin.

Longevity is great. 12-13 hours with great projection.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

this is a strange one. i have respect for it but cant quite say that i like it. reminds me of timbuktu, encre noir and sycomore. i suspect its the cypriol. if youre a fan of these its worth checking out. its ashen/smokey but cold, green, minty tobacco and there is as someone mentioned an almost "pond scum" element that keeps forcing itself to be noticed. i used to get the same scent of decay from MPGs route du vetiver. again i can respect the materials workmanship composition etc, but for me this feels narrowly claustrophobic, and almost the smell of grief whereas jubilation was its polar opposite, the smell of exuberant joy

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

One of the nicest frankincense openings on the market: bright, rich, deep, resinous, masterfully blended with bitter green leaves, citrus, something pungent and candied-fruity (like elemi), vetiver, sandalwood, and something on the base which reminds me of castoreum, although it may simply be the “side effect” of vanillin plus woods, leather and citrus notes. Genius touch of dark rose coming and going. A sophisticated hybrid halfway contemporary woody-incense scents like Gucci pour Homme I and resinous-brighter ones like Maria Candida Gentile Exultat, with discreet echoes of classic “barbershop” masculine colognes – mostly because of a soft, and kind of “dark” touch of earthy lavender. Utter pleasure: Memoir Man is a balsamic, refined and cozy gem, stylish and crowdpleasing without smelling dull, shallow or generic, at the same time showing a really peculiar a nondescript sort of “enigmatic” charm. Creative but totally safe, appealing and versatile. Perfect leathery-balsamic greenish drydown with a prominent vetiver-tobacco accord, mellow and again, totally classy, on darker balmy-mossy notes - keeping that abovementioned barbershop-fougère inspiration. Raw but civilized, shady and fascinating, and totally well made and solid... still unworthy the crazy price tag, but really nice.

7,5-8/10

mindfixer
mindfixer

I live in the UK and have just received a 100ml bottle of this. It was purchaced through a reputable seller and on the bottom of the box it says made in the UK. I have seen some comments regarding this saying that the UK made ones appear to be weaker in strength. Does amyone have a comparison between UK made and Oman produced ones? I would have preferred my hard earned money to have been spent on something coming from the actual country portrayed as the origin as I have been more than happy with my other Amouage products - made in Oman!

Edit. Very disappointed with this one. For me no projection whatsoever and I can't smell it after 5 minutes. One spray of Interlude and I'm done for 24 hours and everyone else in a mile radius!!

paulokratos
paulokratos

Everytime i see lots of people who just put this on the wrist, sniff this for 2 hours and feel ready to write about... Please... Please... Just write about any one fragrance if you wear this(full) and go out... And on the right weather/time and occasion... This one here is perfect for night out on Winter/fall formal or not so formal...

gfbl
gfbl

anyone have a bottle to sell, email me at [email protected]

weaselize
weaselize

I had a sample of memoir and i really liked it, i even was planning on buying it. I decided to take the sample with me on an annual vacation to a nice greek island since i liked it that much. On that island one day we visited a place with much fruity trees like figs and stuff and lots of pine trees, mint, etc. It was a little bit up on a hill but still close enought so we could see the sea and even smell it. I fell a sleep in a hammock surrounded by pine trees,herbs... the smell of see, hearing birds, bees..... I was 100% relaxed, i slept for about an hour.
That great natural smell, the warm weather, the sea, a soft breeze, but in the shadow of those pine trees.

That same day in the evening we went out to eat something at a very good place outside. I put on memoir man and then something strange happened.
I could smell my day again! It was like i was back in those woods. My day in that hammock between the pines and stuff. But! It suddenly smelled very very artificial to me and put me off, almost got sick from the smell. Went to toilet and washed and washed but couldn,t get it off enough. Very strong stuff this one.

That day i realized that the smell of nature NEVER can be captured in a bottle for 100% identical . The real thing when i smelled those trees and all of that in the woods with the sun on them smelled very pleasing compared to memoir man.

Due to this experience i passed on memoir but i still think it is a great and special scent and you really get some quality juice for your bucks.

Norbert F.
Norbert F.

This is one the most versatile Amouages I ever smelled, in the opening it´s got a beautiful sweet authentic mint note, with the wormwood / I think that it is, because I read that wormwood is one of the key things to Absinth, and I know what Absinth smells like /, then when it´s starts to drying down the mint and the wormwood are little more subtle and the Incense is the dominant note to my nose, then I got a littlebit of leather and tobacco, and not much else, on me the longevity and the projection are both amazing, 10/10

bonacosta30
bonacosta30

Memoir, the dark green, the anciens fragrance. Wow, this fragrance is realy special. This scent could be straight out of a fantastic médiéval movie, if u listen game of thrones, that could be the scent of one of the darkest caracter of this télévision serie. I could see lord Stanish with the red witch smelling this...A very natural smell, lot of wood, incense and plant. It smell smoke, a burning wood and absinthe. Very well done. The longevity is excellent, i would say an easy 12-14 hours, mayble more. Projection is not that big, but it is ok for this kind of scent. Not a people pleaser, like u could understand by read ing this review, so not safe for blind buy. This could easily be the signature scent for a black métal singer or an occult science practitioner. It remind me the scent of the dark north, a burning medieval village...if u are looking for a dark mysterious fragrance, look no further. The winter is coming!

Smell: 7,5/10, not a wow, not a people pleaser, but a smell that will bring u memories...
Projection: 3,5/5, arm lengh maximum, but perfect for that kind of scent.
Longevity: 5/5, one of the best (if not the best!) longevity that i have try. More than 12 hours for sure on skin, more on clothes.
Versatility: 2/5, special occasion only, i wouln t see myself wearing it for casual use, office or any day use. Better in cold month and at night.
Overall: 18/25, a very special fragrance that u will learn to love. One of my most unique fragrance, something that u need to try. Very different from the women memoir btw.

لا تستعجل في الحكم على هذا العطر

husam

حينما تجتمع القوة مع النعومة
والغموض مع الوضوح
والكلاسيكية مع العصرية
والاجواء العربية مع اللمسات الفرنسية .
انه ميموار مان
مزيج رائع بين مكونات العطر ، مكونات قوية كالبخور والتوباكو والشيح والجلود والصندل والعنبر والغاياك ، تم مزجهم جميعا مع النعناع والورد واللافندر ولمسه خفيفة جدا من الفانيليا والفتفير ، ليخرج لنا هذه التحفة الامواجية الرائعة .
لا اعلم حينما شممت العطر وجربته انبهرت به أيما انبهار ، وقفز في رأسي الممثل الدنماركي المحترف ماديس ميكلسن فى تجسيده لشخصية (هانيبال/ آكل لحوم البشر )
فهو طبيب ناجح مشهور وسيم محب للموسيقى بارع في فن الطبخ، مع ذلك قاتل مسلسل بلا شفقة او رحمة لا يشعر اقرب الناس اليه انه هو المجرم القاتل .
فالذي يجمع بين هانيبال وميموار = الغموض .
بالنسبة لي هو افضل عطر مر عليا من امواج
يدخل في التوب فايف الشتوي بجدارة واستحقاق .

جمال الرائحة 9.5/10
ثبات 9/10

فوحان 7.5/10

Casavulva
Casavulva

After Gold ph (epic floral) and Jubilation XXV (epic juicyspicy), I feared another great but over-the-top-and-therefore-unwearable fragrance in the highly acclaimed Memoir Man.

It is not that epic. Actually quite wearable if you are into the oriental-woody style.

I detect a dominating incense right from the start, and a woody note that is very dry, like actual burned wood. Smokey and ashey, but toned down by all the spices and herbs herein (I'm sure there are 50 of them, amouage style) and the other "standard oriental notes" (vanilla and amber).

The result is a little challenging for the mainstream, but of course - this is not for the mainstream. Test it over a period of time, and you may appreciate it very much.

Niche perfume hardly gets any better than the better ones from Amouage. But as always I struggle to find the proper use of their releases. (Work? No. Dates? No. A sunday walk in the park? No. Partytime? No. The Wednesday meeting in the postmodern omani art discussion group? Aha!).

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

Memoir Man is my second fragrance from the house of Amouage. The other one I have is Reflection Man. They are polar opposites.

Reflection Man is the lightest, brightest scent in the Amouage range of all the ones I've tried. Reflection Man's see-through bottle is suggestive of the clear, refreshing contents it contains. Memoir Man, on the other hand, comes in a jet-black bottle. This is an appropriate choice of colour for the dark, smoky liquid that lurks within.

Memoir Man is a spectacular blend of sharp absinthe, deep menthol-mintiness, dense mosses and smouldering incense. Memoir Man envelopes you like a velvet fog, slowly revealing hidden aspects as it unfolds over several hours. From the fresh chlorophyll-green intro to its incense-rich underbelly, this is a scent with a depth of character that requires time to fully appreciate.

My love for this complex creation was secured after I had sprayed some on the lapels of my thick woolen peacoat. Many days later, the scent was still clearly present as a hazy, resinous smokiness that smelt like a block of hashish.

This brooding masculine fragrance definitely feels like something from the dark side of the force, but Memoir Man is never gloomy or sombre.

Instead, it’s confident and assured - like the strong, silent type.

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

The black glass Memoir Man comes bottled in is ever so fitting. Sure the scent is greener than a bowl of weed in the Pacific Northwest, but undoubtedly the most mysterious and atmospheric Amouage creation. Basil, mint, and wormwood lead the way, like a blast of fresh, coniferous, forest air. This gorgeous piny, minty opening is blended with Amouage's signature frankincense, adding a subtly ceremonial touch. Nothing here is particularly depressive or somber, it really just invokes a deep sense of mother nature, though not in a way that would lure in hippies. Not too conventional and not too avant guard or noir, I like to think of Memoir Man as an "experimental fougere".

This is a walk through the woods of David Lynche's Twin Peaks, preferably while wearing a leather jacket. It's the weird, artsy cousin of Green Irish Tweed that sometimes makes him feel awkward around his friends. Easily my favorite Amouage and I don't see that changing any time soon.

In the end it's all smoldering, grey ash and vanilla. Like discovering the remnants of a small forest fire or ritual. Equally comforting and weird.

PrometheusFreed
PrometheusFreed

I tried this today, and while I loved this scent, it seems to turn almost fishy/briny on my skin. If you have a saltier skin profile, this won't work for you. However, if you have the skin to wear it, I love the deep forest-y green. It's melancholy, beautiful, earthy and dark, like a forest after rain.

dizzy242
dizzy242

As far as masculine fragrances go, this for me is quite simply perfect. From a "quick" test/sniff I can see some writing this off as nothing special, a typical (in it's category) male fragrance etc.. but oh how wrong they would be. This one needs to be worn in full application to reveal it's brilliance. If you cannot recognize how stunning and perfectly executed this is after that....well I'd love to see what they would consider better (objectively speaking of course). I'm not going into a note and development breakdown as other reviews cover it quite well. I'm just here to reaffirm what many other reviewers have stated. This is just a damn good fragrance. It's "special"

G-Bon
G-Bon

It took me a while to appreciate this scent. At first I didn't think too much of it. It's certainly dark, mysterious and somber. Such a serious scent. Definitely one to be worn by someone with purpose and a quiet confidence. I think mint and frankincense are the main theme here (not sure what wormwood smells like) but as this fragrance really begins to settle I still get the frankincense but this time with a hint of vanilla.

muzzbait
muzzbait

wow...an hour in and the green herbiness is quite overwhelming!!! its oregano-ness and smoky-woodiness is quite strong and you need to be in a certain mood to really pull this off. it's not meek or mild at all. projects quite far, too...

gzalvares
gzalvares

In the first minute i said: that bad thing !!!! But you must wait at least 20 min. to get it to show the truth. Opening is only green notes and smoke. Gradually, middle and base notes start to emerge. Surely it is something spectacular but I'm still not loving.

GMK
GMK

Not my thing honestly!. Tried a lot to like it , to understand the typical Amouge complexity as a huge admirer of their work and ingredients being used in perfumes, but after repeated attempts , i am really not impressed.

A clash of notes is apparently making it unwearable , it gets very thick and cloying since the start, cant detect and enjoy the composition.

I will definitely try it again to see if I can wear it.

Osaka1983
Osaka1983

This is a very nice fragrance, for me the best amouage, it has a nice silage but and ok longevity. I would say is the perfect scent for a date!

bouddha bleu
bouddha bleu

A year ago, a woman on the street followed me and because I didn't realize it, she approached and asked me: „Didn't you notice that I am following you? Please tell me what is the perfume you wear? I never smelled such a great perfume… You must tell me…“

Many people react in the same way because of its trance-like, exotic quality, but also gives something more: this is truly the smell of manly love and passion. A perfume for a man who is confident, intelligent, calm and full of inner life, but also for a great lover with piercing eyes and strong hugs only, only for a love of his life… And in my opinion - he must grow a beard ;)

I'm literally in love with this perfume and I'm sure it will be life lasting love. Karine Vinchon Spehner - thank you very very very much for this masterpiece!

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Tobacco, tea, mixed with shampoo, synthetic notes, quickly becomes linear woody spicy, heavy, kind of typical of latest Amourage men perfumes, not impressive, but expensive, there are many alternatives for less in a same style.

Amazing stuff. Masterpiece!

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

A strong opening of smoked forest foliage and mint.

Very woody and green. A well-blended, traditional masculine scent, but not for me.

Vahagn
Vahagn

At first I heard little bitter herbs on fresh background, and then a very nice "masculine" base.
Sagebrush, grass, "dust", vetiver and incense-that's what I heard in flavor Memoir Man Amouage.
He is not a melancholic and sad, but rather the aroma of peace and tranquility. I had a such associations: calm, thoughtful, discreet aristocrat in a gray or slightly cool autumn night ... field ... the smell of freshly cut grass and warm memories bring a smile :) :))))
I guess, I was in "appropriate" mood in this time, that gave me such associations)))) Probably, under a different mood I will not like Memoir Man and ... or will not cause such emotions ...!!??
Yes, Memoir Man is not a masterpiece! But I liked the "mood" of this perfume and its very nature sounding.

smellyboy
smellyboy

I love this so much..classy fresh tobacco mint opening...the middle is gorgeous with rose,lavender and incense.Beautiful amber,incense minty tobacco combo during the dry down ...It's fresh,warm,dark,smoky,green and very classy

amer1212
amer1212

"Amouage memoir "

"Memoir" starts herbal'y green freshly minty...then gets smoky burning woodsy with tobacco that add more masculine darkness touch & depth in it with little warmth of the amber & leather in the background with all natural & high quality components which used by "Amouage" house in their perfumes.

The scent its
Masculine..Luxury..Classical Modern..Dark mysterious..sensual &Charismatic .

its an integral Scent in my opinion in the niche perfumery even Masterpiece !

A Fovarite

Mysterious Elegance
10/10 .

Narcotic Perfume
Narcotic Perfume

It makes me cry, ever 'n' ever...
اشکمودرمیاره...

johnnybr0801
johnnybr0801

Wow! I think there is no words to describe this fragrance. Its a very introspective fragrance and takes you a long journey to the unrevealed areas of your mind…
If you wear this no matter what situation you can be sure that you print yourself into the minds of whoever has the privilege to smell you… unforgettable...

LanceDior
LanceDior

Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity
Calculate what we will, will not tolerate
Desperate to control all and everything
Unable to forgive the scarlet letterman

I feel like different Amouages can be described by certain bands, Memoir is definitely Tool. Interlude is probably Muse, Reflection is Queen, Epic is Led Zeppelin haha

Brenao
Brenao

A green woody frag, so gentle and dark at same time. A different kind of smell ,great as Jubilation, another winner to me. Luxuryous and easy to wear, very elegant. Not a everyday fragrance, but who did tell that we couldn't wear it often?
So, this is a kind of creamy green, the vanilla brings good feelings when you smell it. Perfect for cold days. If Dorian Grey had a fragrance, it would be a Memoir bottle.

puria_stalker
puria_stalker

WOW . . .FAB !!!

باور نکردنیه !!!!!

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

This is the best leather tabaco perfume...Very much a mans man frag. Very Very masculine. Captivating. It is wonderful. Reminds me a well polished man in private cigar parlor. Very modern and wonderful.

A night time frag...A mysterious night : )

For those who loved Tribute Attar, may enjoy Memoir Man. It is not the same by any means. However the fragrance has that deep leathery Smokey, wealthy sexy scent. It is surely a scent of mysterious excitement.

It will last a long time as only a couple sprays needed and has such a journey and dimensions of the fragrance. Very interesting.

Not one a lady can pull off. As perfume does not always have gender memoir does. It is a scent of a Man. A confident , silent seducer that will put you in a love bond smell of excitement with out saying a word.

Marciu
Marciu

Memoir is interesting. I get very strong absinth-like touch, especially from the beggining. It's very green and in the same time very powerful. And then... BANG. The incense comes in. As in Interlude, it's very dense and very potent. Along with the incense everything sweetens up a bit. I'm not sure what it is - it might be vanilla but it might be guaiac wood or amber as well. And that's pretty much all I could sniff.

Longevity is spotty -it dissapointed me. Mostly what I get out of it is 6-8 hours with 3-4 sprays, and it depends on weather. Sillage is spotty as well.

It's the only Amouage that doesn't last on me.

I like it, but I don't think I will ever purchase it. It doesn't have the 'wow' factor for me...

steve0580
steve0580

Memoir Man is a beautiful fragrance. It's smoky, yet bright and uplifting, as well as being non-linear. It takes a little bit of time to develop.

In the opening, the immediate two notes I smell are smoke and incense but it's not so much a church incense as it is a bright incense. The woods in the fragrance are more background players than at the forefront. It also has a note that I'm having a hard time placing and it could very well be the absynth, since that's listed as the central note. Quite honestly, I don't know what absynth smells like on its' own, so it's hard for me to say. When it dries down, the bright incense takes over as the dominant note.

This was on my want list for quite some time and admittedly, when I first sampled it, I wasn't terribly impressed but later, I went back and tried it again. It was like a drug and I was hooked.

This is easily a 10/10 in my book.

Jridgen
Jridgen

Memoir Man opens very green with a tenacious mint and wormwood presence that is equal parts herbal, alcoholic (absinthe) and outdoorsy. The woods, tobacco and incense come more to the forefront as the scent progresses through the middle and the wormwood and mint die down.

The fragrance lingers for some 8-10 hours and slowly moves closer to the skin. Lacking the oud, heavy smoke and dried fruit found in other Amouage fragrances I believe this is one of the easiest to wear in the lineup. That being said it retains an incredible amount of complexity, depth and note progression throughout the wearing.

It is entertaining, dark and mysterious - the best in the line.

9.5/10

Jay T
Jay T

J'ai été brûlage beaucoup d'encens récemment, et j'aime la façon dont fidèle à cela est. Il a une très belle odeur de fumée âcre et riche, très très sarriette. Il est également important pour moi, c'était l'absinthe, cela me rappelle une nuit à Sydney. De nouveaux amis dans une auberge sale. Beaucoup de romance, un peu de mystère .... Malheureusement, il m'a fait mal à l'estomac.

DaZeD
DaZeD

Now this is my kind of incense!

A caliginous mist of incense, perfectly balanced and blended with the other notes, especially the sandalwood and mint are prominent, to me this is a perfect interpretation of a certain type of incense which i love dearly.

Memoir is definitely dark, cryptic and mystifying, but not in a dismal way though, not to me at least.

The name fits the scent exceptionally well.
Just words will do this no justice, this scent deserves a poem.

If Poe had a signature scent this would be it.

slapdash
slapdash

How can such a seemingly dense and austere frangrance be so glorious?

What I imagine:

Fallen leaves and broken twigs and branches that have just caught fire. Thick smoke tendrils wafting skywards from the doused flames of flora in the immediate aftermath of a downpour. A forest floor of detritus swept away. Nature performing its cleansing ritual by first signposting decay.

What I get:

The uplifitng one-two punch of lavender and mint in the opening is slowly but surely left behind, serving as a surprising segueway to the woodiest and smokiest fragrance I've had the pleasure to try - surprising insofar as it's possible knowing its an Amouage, at any rate. Dark and broody, like the bottle in comes in, I see myself wearing this on a foul-weather day, though safely ensconced indoors as the deluge outside exacts its toll.

Counterintuitively, the murkiness inherent to the composition doesn't impart any sense of foreboding; indeed, during its development, Memoir offers moments of levity - a fleeting yet whimsical ever so slightly sweet vanilla, and the bracing calm of sandalwood, as if a faint shaft of light at the end of the tunnel.

The only problem with Memoir? It's hard to figure out its suitability in practical terms. At the workplace, in a romantic setting or even a night out on the town feels incongruous.

No matter. I don't wear Memoir Man; it wears me.

Nickie
Nickie

Bonfire in a bottle!

I admit I'm relieved my sample was a dab-on and not a spray; the latter would've been too overpowering and not something I'd comfortably wear.

If you like a smoky scent, I doubt you could find much better. The ingredients are of a wonderful quality and produce a ridiculously good effect. Silage as a dab-on I found to be moderate to soft but insanely long lasting - I could still smell remnants of it the next day.

Not a unisex scent to my nose but, if any ladies are able to pull this off, I salute you.

meysamgh
meysamgh

Very nice perfume with fresh, woody and dark scent. This is by far my fav perfume but the only con is it doesn't last long. However, as I live in humid climate that could be different.
Worth every penny.
I give it 10/10 for smell
6/10 Sillage
7/10 longitivity

Great work Amouage

NoiBoi
NoiBoi

Here is the deal with Memoir Man.

The majority of what you will be smelling in this fragrance is mint. It's the dominant note. The combination of mint and Absinth give it it's cooling effect throughout the life of the fragrance. It's definitely a "dark mint" fragrance for those who want real world description.

The mint and Absinth lay upon a woody base, which mainly consists of sandalwood. There is some basil in the mix as well, but not much at all to my nose. This has been my favorite Amouage that i've tried thus far, and have a full bottle on the way.

I think you could wear this anywhere, almost anytime of the year. I wouldn't wear it in the extreme heat, however. A cooler summer night is fine though.

10/10 fragrance for me. Signature scent worthy if it's price point weren't so high.

AbdelM
AbdelM

Just magnificent!

Kanarata
Kanarata

One of my all time favs, unique, opulent, gentlemanly, mysterious, dark woody fougere this one is not for the boys, I really can't imagine a man under 30 wearing this on the regular, it is for the serious(niche) perfume consumers! The opening is very green absinthe basil mint combo yet very dark with heavy woods In the back some frankincense as well. As the scent progresses I begin to detect a unique note that resembles pencil shavings woody/ peppery smell with still a hint of frankincense. The base is the most appealing to me as it has a dark woody resinous sweetness to it very well done! If you like conventional scent this one is NOT for you it goes through a few stages in its development and not exactly in a smooth fashion like some other high end fragrances do it is a bit rough it shifts gears back and forth like a Dodge Viper, but remains very classy throughout. My personal fav from Amouage it is amazing!

Smell 10/10

تذكرني بدايته بعطر فهرنهايت ديور من حيث رائحة الجلود

lwil6605
lwil6605

Gothic mint
Most appropriate for Autumn or a gloomy weather day.

nemorino
nemorino

I bought it and am happy to have it in my collection but it is not one of my favorites! Luckily for me I didn't pay the full price because this is one of those senses where I finde it hard to justify the high pricing....

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

Absolutely Amazing. And here I was just hunting down jubilation xxv and interlude without giving this one a 2nd thought until I decided to wear my sample. And I was blown away!! This is like what Burberry London becomes after he has aged and matured, into a true gentlemen. Has an amazingly regal quality to it. Absolutely gorgeous blend of green, incense, woods, and a hint of sweet. I'm not a huge fan of mint in fragrances but this mint just adds a slight little sweet undertone with all the darkness surrounding it that just makes this fragrance perfect. Fantastic Juice. Deffinately will get this before the other 2.

s11005593
s11005593

lovely exotic sandalwood smell..........!

Max1mu51
Max1mu51

Interestingly enough, I enjoy the scent - it's green, lightly minted, with a background of wood. It's fresh and uplifting. The opening is very nice, full, and rounded. But alas, around 7 minutes later the base drops out and all I get is an airy green wood that stay kinda close to the skin. A couple people have said this is a dark and mysterious frangrance, Um... for the first 5 minutes, after that it looses its flare.

I like it, but I personally wouldn't want to smell like this.

Vincentium
Vincentium

a green crystal, sparkling, floating, velociously rotating, naturally breakin into a white cloud which slowly sinks-in changing to grey and dark-brown silence....a "Twin Peaks" perfume
...experience which one must live.

fooluae
fooluae

these is great smell
smell of arabian charm spice and bakoor and Benzoin that Frankincense luxury Arabs
unique
give u good mode like u in charm forest

am arabian i tell u that these some rely high quality there

I have to join the consensus with this one and a theme of Amouage fragrances on the whole...they comprise so many elements and such a symphony of notes that they sometimes run out of steam.
By this I mean the openings are so fantastic!!!
Sometimes I swear it's like hearing a choir of angels or harp strumming...actually scratch that...more like a Mijwiz or a Khalool.
Anyway... The openings are so good but those initial top notes tend to retreat and quite quickly to (a couple of hours maybe?)
You're often left with the more enduring sandlewood and frankincense.
That's only a minor criticism though because Memoir is fantastic, it has all the wonderfully heady smokiness that you'd expect from the incense but it still manages to be light on it's feet with wonderful fresh top notes a hint of basil and mint which work really well.
There's definitely a leather accord in the mix too...reminiscent for a fleeting moment of Clive Christian C...or Tom Ford Tuscan Leather.
The base for me is kind of tobacco, amber, sandlewood combo. It's smooth anyway... maybe a little vanilla in there too.
It's wonderful and definitely my second favourite after interlude.
I think this is one for anyone who wants to get into this house for the first time... Memoir is a safe bet. It's classy, ancient middle eastern meets contemporary...Just brilliant!

Update: Had this on most of the day now and I have to say its stunning, refined and still a little spicy into the drydown. I didn't put much on just in case it was very strong, it isn't but strong enough.
It just smells SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!

jhitt793
jhitt793

A beautifully cool and refreshing opening thanks to basil, mint, wormwood and absinthe. This effervescent introduction lends way to an earthy and woody base. I do not perceive any of the said florals included(rose, lavender), being likely drowned out by the smoky incense and pungent oakmoss. Sad, because I was truly loving the opening. Unfortunately I am seeing a recurrent theme with Amouage; great openings with lackluster dry downs. (81)

ateghipc
ateghipc

This one really has a story to tell, definitely my favorite amouage. The wormwood here plays delightfully with mint and creates an incredible freshness that I think may be my favorite collage of opening notes in any fragrance I've smelled. This scent is complex. Having spent several months with it now I've grown to appreciate it much more, although my first impression of it still stands: what I smell is christmas tree. No, not christmas tree air freshener, but real, piney, pungent christmas tree. The beauty of memoir man is that although this is the theme I am left with, the quality of the ingredients and their blending is so impeccable that I can smell all the parts of the whole working together at individual levels, as well as at a unified one.

In the opening I smell something much darker than what Amouage reports in the top notes. It's a dark, dirty- hay like aroma that disappears within 10 minutes. It's also worth mentioning that the wormwood note here in the opening is very true to the real stuff and evokes images of absinthe, but moreover clings relentlessly through the dry down and to the very end. The middle notes begin to appear within 30 minutes, and as the basil and mint slowly fade, the freshness of the opening gives way to an arid incense. The incense here is subtle and compliments wormwood's darker side. I detect no lavender or rose any time, and if these notes are here they are strongly overshadowed by the wormwood. As we get into the basenotes, I get a strong sandalwood and can pick up slight wafts of ambery, ashy tobacco. Ultimately, the tobacco - amber combination comes off as dirty, especially when complimented by the scorching incense. There's no vanilla here to me, but it could have melded into the amber. Neither is there leather, but I could be wrong. In the end, I wouldn't describe the drydown as harsh, even though I know I've thrown around a lot of darker descriptions. To me, the drydown is, if anything both earthy and spicy, outbalanced by the sweeter amber. It also creates a great juxtaposition to the bright opening.

Our journey ends after 9 or 10 hours, after which we've been presented with lush evergreen conifer, arid desert, dark woods, and spicy amber. The transformation isn't blatantly transparent but it's there if you listen. This fragrance is pleasant on first whiff, but at first I was incredibly put off by the incense in the drydown. If you love incense and you love woods, this will definitely "wow" you with its inevitably "clean" top notes of mint and wormwood and a darker dry down underneath. The ingredients are rich and stand on their own, but blend together effortlessly, painting vistas of woods and desert. I can see this fragrance being hard to appreciate to some, but it's definitely a mature niche with a lot of soul. One of my favorites, and the best amouage to my nose. Seems versatile to me, is fairly quaint in terms of projection, and best suited for fall, winter, and possibly spring. This is my signature scent for colder weather and I can't imagine this ever becoming boring. Definitely sample first, but the quality and artisanship is indubitably here and worthy of the price tag.

spaniel
spaniel

Great opening. Bold and green and powerful. Mint and artemisia, with a tonne of conifer. After a few hours the frankincense dominates, and unfortunately it starts to smell musty and vaguely like urine. Definite strong salty urine tang. Not pleasant. Unfortunately, tremendous longevity. On my skin, this one is a"no".

LaCucaracha
LaCucaracha

Bought a bottle of this without really testing it properly. After testing it a little bit more I can now say this isn't for me. The incense who to me smells like a lot of pine wood almost overwhelms me. The problem is that it stays this way the whole time on me so it get's a little to much after a while.
Very good longevity and sillage on this one.
Sold my bottle today, think i´m going for the sweeter more toned down Jubilation instead...

blueberrry
blueberrry

Fragrance for personality! Not for funny teenagers, not for old playboy. If you are this type of person who can wear it, you will know it from first smell.

drkool_phd
drkool_phd

It would be nice to know what kind of incense is in this. It's so unbelievably pointless and unhelpful to just say it has "incense," which could be so many different things.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * *

It's hard to love a fragrance if your wife crinkles her nose and runs in the opposite direction when you put it on! Amouage Memoir didn't have much of a chance in my household, I'm afraid.

Not that I necessarily blame her. This is a polarizing fragrance.

The opening is harsh, sharply green, and almost gasoline-like. I admire the novelty factor and the bravado involved in releasing a $300 absinthe-based fragrance, but this is a hard scent to love. There is no question that the ingredients are of a high quality and that the nose behind the product (Karine Vinchon Spehner) is sophisticated, clever, and talented. Memoir will have its devotees, chiefly those who revel in grassy/green notes and tobacco. I am not among them.

I wish I could say more about the evolution of the fragrance, but this was actually a scrubber for me. About an hour into the experience, the pipe tobacco/incense notes started pushing through, and I knew it was not for me. Don't get me wrong--I LOVE incense. I just don't like it to be the dominant note, let alone the dominant note in a woody/grassy absinthe-based fragrance.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Intriguing, refined, complex, anomalous, unprecedented. Yes, in that order. I have never smelled anything quite as royal and polished as Memoir Man. Never stepping foot in Oman, I'm feeling nostalgic about a place I have yet to see or come close to. The notes all work as a perfect ensemble, one complimenting the other. The finest herbs, flowers, resins and woods create an unstoppable force. Dark, smoky, mysterious, confident and announced. If I had to pair this fragrance with a fictional character, I'd imagine this is a fragrance Bruce Wayne would wear as this is the Dark Knight of the Amouage collection.

$tefanOud
$tefanOud

Tested this one today and i love it, you can smell quality all over.i did not like the opening very much but thats a major issue for me with most fragances. I love the drydown and the smell of wood, incense,leather musk and tabacco.

Its a nice deep (a bit dark) smell thats really masculine but not to overpowering.

I dressed casual today and mabey people think you must wear this in a suit, but hey i dont need a excuse to smell good.

Longtivity for about 9 hours

Sillage is realy good
Would i buy a full bottle? Yes it is worth it. Only problem is my bank account :-)

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

This must be Amouage's "black" or "noir" fragrance, judging by the look of the bottle. Excellent note separation in Memoir Man, a little better than Gold, but a totally different fragrance. The top, exactly the first five seconds, is all about mint, basil, and artemisia, and feels very green and mentholated. The mint note recedes very quickly, leaving a more concise artemisia and tobacco accord. Definitely one of the better renditions of tobacco, although it's a spiced pipe tobacco and not the raw leaf. There's also a quiet lavender note that picks up where the mint left off (logical, as lavender is a type of mint).

As with Gold, there's a specific freshness running straight through the composition, almost unwaveringly, and it's the incense. The spicy amber (with hints of vanilla) from the late top stage does grow deeper and richer with time, and yeah, there's sandalwood, an edging of young rose (similar to the rose hip fruit in Gold), bitter oakmoss, and a relatively non-animalic musk. In my opinion this is a postmodern fougère, with a few oriental flourishes - but I won't be cheesy and say it's a "fougèriental." If you were to take the classic woody-leather chypre Yatagan by Caron, and convert it into a classically-inspired fern, you'd wind up with something akin to Memoir. Another fragrance it reminds me of, probably due to the treatment of mint, is Cuba by Czech & Speake. The Ingredient quality in Memoir feels slightly better than Gold for some reason, but it might be because the notes are given more room to breathe and aren't so blended. I find this scent is pretty decent in warmer weather, with average longevity.

Some people in the reviews have pondered whether or not Memoir is too dark and brooding, but I think it's a polite throwback fragrance. Nothing dark and brooding about it to me. When you think of the term "fresh fougère," you tend to think of things like Cool Water and Polo Sport, with Jazz and Tsar perhaps sticking their big toes into that category. Memoir is an interesting reinterpretation of "fresh" with a nice array of woody twists.

pontifex maximus
pontifex maximus

The list of notes made me very excited to try this one out. I was hoping for a deep and dark fragrance. This is indeed well constructed but sillage and longevity are really subpar.Not very deep and dark or complex...a major let down.

weevil
weevil

I'm currently wearing a sample decant, and I'm glad I didn't buy a full-size at the price Amouage expect us to pay! This IS a well-constructed scent, and it's different... a lovely minty, basily, herby, smokey start, but it doesn't last more than a few minutes. After a short time, I'm left with a mildly smokey note with a hint of wet peaty forest that sits VERY close on my skin... too close to be of much use. I like the drydown but it's just far too muted. I was hoping for something that projected a little more (as Epic does on me). I'd use this as a 'before bed' scent when someone's gonna get close enough to get the benefit!

zola0203
zola0203

Really wanted to enjoy this given my glorious introduction to Amouage frags with 'Jubilation'...unfortunately I was disappointed.

The drydown is similar to Jubilation and, from what I gather, most Amouage frags; A very pleasant woody/inscense aura with decent projection. HOWEVER, the initial hour on my skin reminded me of Jubilation that had been diluted with a mixture of Dr Pepper and Covonia cough medicine!

If you want an Amouage, get Jubilation. If you want all the Amouage frags, don't be so single-minded!

baldheadjim
baldheadjim

Strong minty and wood beginning. Mint lingers as a smoky incense intensifies. Mint keeps it fresh enough so that fragrance can be worn in any occasion. Forms a nice scent bubble around me. Wafts of fragrance can be picked up from waiving wrist within 2 feet of nose. Female coworkers complimented when standing close. Not over bearing and will not announce that you are coming down the hall. Mint keeps it fresh so as not to be cloying. Also there is something very interesting underneath the mint and incense that make you want to smell your wrist all day!

Pegasus
Pegasus

Amouage is one of my favorite niche houses, I own a few bottles of their creations.

Having owned Memoir Man for over four months, I haven't had a chance to review it until now. I like to call Memoir the Black Knight, something I imagine a Nazgul would wear while wandering in a dark forest during the night, it's deep, dark, manly, classy, unique and very attractive. It's complex and very well blended, I love the notes, the tobacco, wormwood, mint, absinthe, leather and the incense, they all work really well together making it a distinctive and amazing creation.

Outstanding longevity like most Amouage fragrances. A true winner!

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

A peppery Jacomo de Jacomo. Add spices and just a touch of Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme to it.

Not a bad fragrance but I don't go for these types of scents.

OK sillage and longevity but nothing too impressive.

123andrea
123andrea

Probabilmente il miglior incenso in un'immenso prato in primavera!
Fantastico dall'apertura mentolata al drydown cuoiato.
Merita il prezzo che costa

pom
pom

deep dark in ancienct rainforest.
muddy wet grass.

I own the 100ml. I love Amouage but I think they're become more western. Prefer the masterpiece ,Jubilation XXV over this one.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

I do not like the minty wormwood opening but now it has settled I am liking the fresh tobacco,lavender and how the mint mixes with these notes. The incense note is good as well and I swear I can smell vanilla as well but just a hint. It's dark & smoky but also a bit refreshing because of the mint note. I do not like the start but I do like how the fragrance progresses.

dromidreza
dromidreza

اصلا به قیمتش نمیارزه.عطری کاملا نژادپرستانه که درهمه نمونه های دیگه ش از جمله اپیک ته بویی از مغازه ها و بازارهای کشورهای عربی به مشام میرسه.فقط و فقط به درد اونا میخوره.نتونستم با هیچ کدومش رابطه احساسی برقرار کنم.بوهای این برند انقدر به طور مصنوعی با ادویه و گل عربیزه شده که دل آدم رو میزنه.

partan.iran
partan.iran

خشکی
دودی
سیاهی
مرموز بودن
آرامش
از نظر دوام هم از این بیشتر هم مگر میشه؟!!!
معتقدم این بوهارو نمیشه اساسا توضیح داد و اشخاص با توجه به روحیاتشون درک میکنند بو رو چون بوهای نسبتا خاصی هستند و کمتر میشه در طبیعت تجربه کرد
میدونین، بوش یه جور عجیبیه! گویا یک سری رایحه مدام در مشام شما میانو میرن و تفکیکشون سخته!
هر قدر این کار و ویکی دو کار دیگروepic از کمپانی آمواژ منو جذب میکنه کارهای دیکر آمواج به شدت دفع میکنه منو چون بعضی از کارهاش شدیدا عربی هست!!!
اما چیزی که در این برند شاخصه دوام دیوانه وار و پخش بوی خوب کارهاشه که در قریب به اتفاق اونها همین طور هست

Kain
Kain

Just a masterpiece from this house!
The black bottle is the exact thing to describe this fragrance. very dark, mysterious and complex.
Start with huge dose of incense and leather mixed with herbal and green note of wormwood. there is some cooling vibe into it too which that's because of the mint note.
It's very strange! green, cooling and dark all at the same time! WOW!
There is some sweetness from amber too, but not too much.
In the dry down the mint note and cooling vibe disappear and the green wormwood note is there, but it's in the background.
Now in the dry down, the bitter and smoky incense become stronger with much more sweet amber that give a waxy vibe to this fragrance.
In the base, we have a woody dry down because of the sandalwood note mixed with some tobacco and amber but both are in the background.
It's very complex, dark and masculine, great choice for fall and winter. I just love it.
The projection is above average but the longevity is great on my skin. a masterpiece and really work of art.

يه شاهكار از شركت آمواج
يه عطر بسيار تلخ، تاريك و مردانه كه رايحه هاي اون به طور بسيار هنرمندانه اي با هم مچ شدن
رايحه اوليه اين عطر بوي تلخ و دودي مانندي هست كه يه بوي گياهي و سبز و يه حس خنك به خاطر وجود نعناء اونو همراهي ميكنن. خيلي بوي خاص و عجيبي داره
در ادامه بوي خنك نعناء از بين ميره و بوي دودي قويتر ميشه كه به خاطر وجود رايحه شيرين عنبر كه با اون تركيب ميشه بويي شبيه به بوي واكس پيدا ميكنه
از اين واكس مشكي ها كه باهاش كفش واكس ميزنيم
منتها مثل اون بوي مواد شيميايي نميده اما بوي تلخ و دودي اون همراه با شيريني حاصل از عنير تقريبا همچين حسي به شما ميده
در نهايت هم بوي چوب صندل حكومت ميكنه كه مقدار خيلي كمي بوي تنباكو و عنبر اونو همراهي ميكنن اما در كل بوي چوب صندل از بقيه رايحه ها قويتره
پخش بوي اين عطر خوب و ماندگاريش عاليه
من چند ساعت بعد از استفاده رفتم دوش گرفتم و با توجه به استفاده از صابون بعد از دوش گرفتن هنوز بوش روي دستم بود
يه عطر عالي و بي نظير كه البته سليقه خاصي ميخواد و همه كس نميپسنده

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Dark gourmand I can live without. I dont' get tobacco, leather or amber. I get some weird black licorice note that I really don't want to smell like. $200 licorice. Great. Not really, though.

FORCED_TO_REGISTER
FORCED_TO_REGISTER

Ok..this is a great one..can't deny.

It starts greeny..fresh in a woody/tobacco envelope!

Basil & mint start really well..and evolve to a deeper..(incense/sandalwood)and tobacco wraping!

Getting from fresh/green to woody/dark in a smooth way that won't make you reject it!

It's unique really.

BUT..but but but...
as all Amouage "inventions"..it's so pricey!

Ok..I'm going to check my oil well now...

midos
midos

I admit :the first time I smelled this perfume I was really disappointed!but then I gave it another chance>> and this is the result: this one drove me crazy ! in the daytime u smell sandalwood,leather with incense!!! if u put it in the evening!!(I tried it myself at 10 pm) you will see the magic of this fragrance : all the notes one behind the other in a frish way & a nice Harmony!!! like if u smell that from it's main source!!! something unbelievable! Great sillage & longevity
this is really really a masterpiece

prot72
prot72

My opinion about this fragrance can be only one – masterpiece of masterpieces, the king of fragrances, the queen of dark perfumes. This is truly the only scents I will use forever in my life to make myself happier. Mysterious, deep, perfect creation inspired by God or Gods taking best parts from the history of perfumery. Memoir is sweet and dry in the same time. Woody, smoky and herbaceous but so cozy and gentle that you will get feeling you are in heaven all the time wearing it. Sorry I have no idea who is Karine Vinchon but she is genius of the century. Based on the Memoir I can only suggest other “Huge Noses” to get classes in her school. In my opinion Memoir is he same for nowadays as Chanel No.5 was for over 90 years. It should be included to the pantheon of best and most memorable fragrances ever made. The price is very high but it is worth any money. Different than other expensive scents, Memoir was crated to give you happiness and peace, not to make creators or the company richer.
Memoir is Arabian perfume so it is full and strong… but it has also European perfection, South American wildness, Australian Sun in its wings, African spirit, Asian sensitivity and Native Americans pride. I love it and wish everyone to get a sniff.

Sergio BH
Sergio BH

I love this scent. Incense, tobacco and vanille, wow!!

This is incredible and perfect.

This is the best of my entire colection, (more then 250bottles) since today (feb/2012).

Amazing!!!

Longevity 10/10
Projection 10/10
Scent 10/10

junglefun
junglefun

A quality scent, but not worth the price.
I get a bit of the mint, petit grain, a smoky feel, and I get the leather a little in the mid and dry-down.
On my skin, projection and longevity is only average at best.
I understand why some love this, and I quite 'like' it, but far from a buy for me, even if it was cheaper.

Heverton
Heverton

Memoir opens up with a combination os green notes rounded by a somehow cold note. Could it be mint? Maybe... ater about 20 minutes the incense kicks in giving the fragrance some depth and also a dark aura if I may say.

Through time the smoky vibe stays in leaving a very nice impression. A fragrance that will not shout in your face instead will blend in a very pleasant and easy to wear way. Amouage quality!

jim31577
jim31577

I just received this cologne today. It's the 2nd bottle in my Amouage collection (the other being Reflection Man). Memoir is FAR AND AWAY the best Amouage cologne I have ever sprayed. It's about as manly as they come. It makes me want to put on a clean white shirt with a paisley tie, a very nice suit and about 3-4 sprays of Memoir. Everyone comments on this cologne (positively of course). The house of Amouage really has hit a home run with this fragrance. The lasting power is amazing (a good 8 hours or so) so there's no need to reapply. It's versatile enough to wear at the office, in the board room, on a date, during the day, during the night, you name it. I purchased my twin brother a bottle and had it shipped to him I enjoyed the cologne so much. This one is so far the favorite fragrance I own, or have EVER owned!!!! Definitely recommend having this for any man in his collection. If you can only justify having ONE very high end fragrance, make it Memoir!!!

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

Wore this today and was quite torn by it.

On the one hand, it smells intriguing and deep. Clearly this isn't some cheap scent assembled by an amateur. It's obviously quality stuff in every regard. I enjoyed how the tobacco comes out very early and just sticks (it gets sweetened up in the base). Longevity is tremendous. Sillage is okay (I'm starting to think that maybe nothing has sillage on my skin!).

On the other hand, I must concur to a large extent with the closings of bronstein and NevilleM's reviews: are you sure this is what you want to wear? The scent didn't make me feel happy or pleasant or joyous or contemplative. It has a 'brooding' about it. Maybe it's the kind of scent some dark, emo-goth kid with arbitrary money would dream up? At best it didn't elicit an emotional response. At worst, it elicited something unpleasant.

My wife didn't like it very much. When it was into the mid notes, I was apparently confusing the incense for patchouli - or the combo of tobacco and incense for patchouli. I asked her "does this smell like tobacco or patchouli to you?" She sniffed and said "it kinda smells like tabouleh" (tongue in cheek). It didn't do anything for her.

I can't say I didn't like it. It was damn interesting and is well worth a few sniffs by any scent-hound, IMO. I can say I have no intention of buying anything beyond the sample I have, and I'd be surprised if I wore from the sample again.

groovysilversurfer
groovysilversurfer

Mirkwood Forest in a bottle.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

The best perfume i've ever had smell in my entire fragrance life, are 20 years of perfumes, i think I know a little about lol. When i felt the top notes, immediately came to my mind a wonderful trip I made here in southern Brazil, where it was cold, and put together a nice friend to drink a beautiful absinthe Portuguese. This aroma mixed with mint, was outstanding combination. The warm heart for incense and velvety with a delicate rose is an amazing oriental refinement, with a lightly lavender maybe.
At the base, tobacco and sandalwood scent leaves with a dry, woody and sobriety odd, along with leather and a intense vanilla comforting. I falled in love with Memoir :)

kwiatek
kwiatek

Just sniff this & think about black swan, imagine that silver shining plumage, very nostalgic, maybe not such opulent like Jubilation but still deep & hipnotizing. Worth a try definitely.

I get nice tobacco with woods, vanilla and incense, there's somewhere that mint & absynth, all that are wery well blended.

Price is scary but worth every drop.

longevity 10/10
projection 7/10
scent 10/10

SilverFire
SilverFire

In the bottle, it smells like a barbershop scent; putting it on is like someone punching you with a fistful of black pepper. Yowza! This is back-of-the-throat-rasping stuff. Within an hour, the pepper abates and the resins come out. This is act I: a spell of mystery, depth, and what feels like ancient, primal power; it’s still a bit restrained, as though with gentlemanly reserve. It dances with the pepper and then the resins combine with woody notes (is that oud there?), for act II: a deep, rich, masculine, yet not overpowering scent. Five hours in, the sweet musk smell arises and remains on the stage for three hours, bringing this olfactory performance to a close.

Memoir Man is better than average, but for the prices that Amouage charges, I was expecting something otherworldly. Although I didn't care for the smell of Creed's Green Irish Tweed, I could see why it commands the prices it does: it lasted forever and the scent was unforgettable. Memoir Man fails to justify its price tag with the overly harsh and unblended opening and the generic drydown.

(I tested this in early fall temperatures in Florida.)

Oslo-fjord

Yet another masterpiece from Amouage. After first test, I didn`t care for it much. But second time i tested it, I liked it a lot! Sexy, deep, dark, and manly. This is like a stronger cousin to Honour man, and a weaker (and much more versatile) cousin to Epic man. Mysterious, smokey and dark. Put on your black suit, black tie, white shirt, and 3 sprays of Memoir, and you are ready for nightlife!

Not too far from Buirberry's Brit for Men, only there isn't as much rose here. This one may be more natural smelling and aromatic, but I like the stronger rose note so I'd go for Brit and save a ton. And Brit is spicier too, which I prefer as well. There's also Rose d'Homme, but that is missing the strong wood note these two have in common, and has leather instead. MM does have noticeable oakmoss, unlike those others, but I don't really like it in this composition. For a better composition (IMO) with strong absinthe I suggest Smalto's 1998 "masculine" scent or Ungaro 1, if you can get it at a reasonable price.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Absolutely loving this one and the earlier description of "Black Knight" or "Dark Horse" is very accurate. I would add to it "Fantomas" (French series of a silent killer, a phantom). (Interestingly, I think the newer "Honour" is just the white and more friendly cousin. As if to say, "Memoir" is the immediate aftermath of a devastating fire (with the coal still glowing) and "Honour" being the week after the firestorms, when the first glimmer of hope, a seedling or a sapling germinates to life through the ashes.)

Reminiscent of the sadly discontinued first GUCCI pour homme, just darker, moodier, and pitch black smoking charcoal with some sweet leathery licorice vanilla rubber goodness. Very well balanced between spicy, smokey and gourmand. Don't get the rose (probably covered in ash and coal) and the Absynth is only recognizable when being told.

Would go perfectly with either a Cashmere or woolen roll neck a la 60ies Mods, or with a slight S&M Leather outfit.

Almost smelling a bit "sinister".

A morbidly beautiful dark but not depressing masterpiece!!

Perfect for cold-hearted business men, entrepreneurs, A Listers of all kind, designers and magicians.

Think "power dressing" and this is "power smelling"!

meshary007

like The Dark Night .

The original mix according to Amouage :
Top Notes: Absinth, Wormwood, Basil, Mint

Heart Notes: Rose, Frankincense, Lavender Absolute

Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Guaiac wood, Amber, Vanilla, Musk, Oakmoss, Leather, Tobacco

Papi
Papi

Interesting scent but nothing special... you could get better for that sky high price

Dmitriy
Dmitriy

This is simply the best scent I've ever smelled.Don't care about the price-it's worth every drop.

Ther's something very special about this fragrance I can't exactly describe. Something mysterious, elusive, secret that make Mamoir very unique. Lavender (that I usually hate) is very well balanced between all other notes and never dominating, as well as Vanilla and amber. Absynth is definitely dominant in The bitter herbaceous opening but in a very special way, very original. Hints of mint and basil. In the drydown all the green notes are joined by frankincense for a great effect. The whole fragrance is stupendously austere and Absolutely distinctive. Great sillage and longevity! A sure shot!

Rating: 8.5-9/10

bronstein
bronstein

Aptly titled, as it reminds me of my grandaddy's attic. But really, is this the smell you want to be associated with? Better think twice before deciding on this one.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

I think Neville's description below is quite accurate. Here are some initial impressions of my own after a couple of wearings

---

This scent is extremely interesting. I definitely need to give it another few wearings before I fully understand it, but I will give some initial impressions.

Memoir Man starts out with a very realistic absinthe accord. It's rounder and deeper (and has less pine/fir) than the accord in Fou d'Absinthe, and is not the brutal live wormwood plant accord in the opening of Yatagan. Here you get a hint of wormwood oil (which is aromatic, green, almost minty like spearmint but darker and smoother and more full bodied), a very round anise note that persists through most of the fragrance, and a mint note that smells more like mint leaf than mint toothpaste or mint gum. The mint is a minor player though, so do not fear. I couldn't detect the basil as a standalone note but have a feeling that it is acting in such a way to flesh out the accord which could otherwise be too aromatic and thin. Well, this is anything but thin.

The opening of this scent is dark, mysterious, and hard to pin down as the notes dance and swirl like the opalescence in a fresh absinthe louche. It is unmistakably green but is not rendered with hues of green normally seen in perfumery. We get an almost washed out green with hints of olive and black tones.

The anise element of the absinthe accord is present from early on in the fragrance well into the drydown and imparts a round darkness to the scent that hums quietly in the background - never silent but never obtrusive. Quickly the anise accord is joined by a dark woody accord.. cedar rounded out with lavender absolute. Lavender absolute smells quite a bit different than lavender oil - it is sweet and round and coumarinic and yet dark and has some fruity/berry elements. In Memoir man it never jumps to the fore but acts to deepen the absinthe accord and perhaps more importantly round off the woody notes.

The frankincense and smoky guiacwood join in the accord, and combined with the dark and smooth oakmoss and anise and other elements it creates an impression of ashes. The remnants of carbonized wood amidst the ashes left in the fire pit the morning after. In time, the impression of ash fades and the final stages of the drydown (12+ hours later) are a beautiful frankincense - a true frankincense with hints of lemon amidst the smoke.

--- after my 2nd wearing, I added the thoughts below ---

This scent is unquestionably dark and woody. Unquestionably darker and more brooding than Epic, and also more woody where Epic was more spice oriented. This is just as resolutely masculine as Epic Man, but far less oriental in nature. Memoir Man has an undeniable European feel, not so much as in the European tradition of perfumery, but instead a post-industrialized Europe that is just moving into the Romantic Era. The opening is downright melancholic. The dry down is beautiful but there is always a sense of bleakness present throughout - a black thread woven throughout the fragrance. And yet the scent is so very strong, not only in projection and sillage (both of which are as notable as in Epic Man!), but there is a sort of.. assuredness present that stands resolute against the melancholy and prevents the scent from ever becoming depressing.

The green elements of the opening last for the first hour or maybe two and this is where the scent is most enjoyable, to me. The drydown does become progressively "more similar" to Gucci PH (the original), with a fairly strong pencil shaving cedar accord tempered here by the lavender absolute, rose and vanilla (and I think I smell a bit of jasmine?) but as mentioned, this scent always retains a darkness that the Gucci never has. In Memoir, the accord is also fuller and weightier. Gucci PH is more like an idealized autumn day, while Memoir Man is that same day plunged into darkness as a storm rolls in.

Fans of Gucci PH, Fou d'Absinthe, Yatagan, Epic Man, Encre Noire, Salvadaor Dali PH and anyone who enjoys dark scents or very woody scents should definitely check out Memoir Man. In the future I will try layering them. The Memoir duo seem to have been designed, not only conceptually but olfactorily, too, to be layered, and I think the unification of these two 'disparate souls who see themselves reflected in each other' could be a very beautiful reunion, indeed.

One more interesting thing: my girlfriend loved this on me. She didn't know what it was and I had told her nothing about the ad copy but she said that it smelled dark, mysterious, and even "scandalous" on me, and said something to the effect of "It smells like.. well, if you could capture the smell of doing something you shouldn't be doing. Like the essence of one of those bad-boy men who women want despite themselves, and yet it simultaneously has this refined elegance and doesn't seem forced or contrived in any way."

An interesting take given what is mentioned in the ad-copy. That just confirmed that the scent really DID smell that way and it wasn't simply (a fear I always have) that the ad copy and expectations were altering my actual perception of the scent.

NevilleM
NevilleM

Initial impressions:
A gorgeous start very leafy green. Not sure which notes are the wormwood, but I get mint leaves under basil. [No tootpaste]
After 20 mins the leaf notes start to fade and you move into a vibrant garden - lots of growth after the spring rain, flower buds, no flowers.
Maybe too healthy, there's something not quite right in this garden.
You find yourself wandering into a wood and soon it's dead trees hanging with moss and stagnant green pools (maybe theyre filled with absynthe).
Six hours later and you're still lost in that wood and the light is failing.
Tomorrow you have to decide if you're brave enough to explore that wood again.

It's not oriental, it's not what you'd expect from Amouage - the madness of absynthe bottled as a scent.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

I want to test it like ALL Amouage deserve a try.

I hope it won't be to close to the skin and better lasting power than average.
The mint, and middle notes are promising!

Base notes are really on the dark side! Epic Man is also leathery and dark.

Can't wait to smell and wear this and rate it after!