Designers » A » Chypre « Groups

The Library Collection Opus I Amouage for women and men

The Library Collection Opus I Amouage for women and men
dislike

The Library Collection Opus I Amouage for women and men Pictures

Amouage presents a new luxury collection The Library Collection, which includes three scents - Opus I, Opus II and Opus III. All three fragrances are created as timeless olfactory adventures that pay no attentions to current trends. The collection is not classified by gender - these designs are intended to highlight the quality of the essences and glorify the act of creativity, skill and art.

Christopher Chong, the creative director of Amouage, is credited for creating this collection. The new fragrances represent the memories as their very names are associated with the library in which many hidden treasures that lead us to ongoing research and study are hidden. The Library Collection is essentially a poetic homage to the art of living.

The composition of Opus I fragrance is characterized as a chypre, created by the perfumer Daniel Maurel. It opens with Bigarade notes, plum and cardamom, while flowering heart wakes all our senses with rose, jasmine, tuberose, ylang-ylang and lily of the valley. The base adds elegant rich shades of papyrus, cedar, giauac wood, incense, tonka, sandalwood and vetiver. The Library Collection Opus I was launched in 2010.

Cardamom Bitter Orange Plum

Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Tuberose Rose Lily-of-the-Valley

vetyver Sandalwood Guaiac Wood Virginia Cedar Incense Tonka Bean Papyrus

The Library Collection Opus I Fragrance Reviews

Jamiljames
Jamiljames

I am a real fan of ylang-ylang and this hits you straight away with this perfume. It is a great developer on skin and takes a few hours to soften down. When this happens the scent is amazing. There is a stage in the mellowing down that reminds me very much of Penhaligon's Artemesia- There are the soft musky tones. In my mind this scent becomes very creamy while still remaining strong. After nearly 7 hours on skin the scent still comes through. I would advise anyone who tries this to appreciate the changes the fragrance goes through. The floral tones to begin may be to strong for many but I would recommend giving it the time to settle before making a judgement on it.

donny54
donny54

White flowers that, driven by warm spices, dance around a hinted note of plam, on a base of woody notes.
A persistent and classy fragrance that last for hours. It's like best symphonies of most talented composers.
A MASTERPIECE!

Ouch!
Ouch!

Whoa...think LouLou by Cacharel, but not so "80's" not so smoky but still as amazing. This is one beautifully complex beast and a great first fragrance for the Opus line. Number 9 is still the best one I've smelled however.

Hugely floral with some real bark like woody tones behind. Semi sweet, bold, brash, refined....classy. This is a real perfume that's crafted with the expertise of a true nose.

It develops and develops and throws all kinds of tones and notes at you. So very difficult to describe but man, does this really take you on a journey.

I have to reference LouLou by Cacharel again because three notes are shared, tuberose, plum & incense. Three huge notes that define the character of both perfumes. While loulou is smoother and more like make up, this one is more spiky yet refined and has some woody tones that loulou doesn't.

Just outstanding.

To say this calms down would be a lie. It does turn down the complexity when dry but, it never loses it's strong character. It somehow feels a bit more herbal when it's dry and the smoother notes like plum, tuberose and ylang are left behind. There's an almost resin/green/balmy feeling underneath...the spices are there too, it's like cinnamon bark and pepper is in the mix.

Just lots going on here that there isn't enough words for it. There's so much I can't put my finger on. Wayyy too complex.

Just try it!

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Opus I is delicious, luxurious and intoxicating. A beautiful white floral/woody fragrance. At first spray I smell the ylan-ylang with the tuberose and jasmine. Then the bitter orange joins in with the woods (sandalwood, oud and vetier). It can be a bit strong, so go easy on the trigger. It lasts up to 8-10 hours on me. Masterpiece!

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Nice Opus 1. The first fragrance of this line..and I must say it is not a perfume that immediately may like, but you have to allow time to evolve... it's nice, a bit floral and creamy. This is a classy perfume, but knows how to be young and fresh(I think it is thanks to the cardamom-ylang-ylang,) good chypre perfume,apart from the high price,I think It must also try it for longer. The sillage is strong, and lasts very long. I like.

Sillage: 8./10
Longevity: 8.5/10
Scent: 7./10

Overall: 7./10

assim.hayderi
assim.hayderi

Class in a bottle. I haven't smell anything like this before and it is, if not the best, one of the best fragrances my nose has ever smelled. The projection and longevity are good. This will be my signature scent, at least for 2 more months before the weather gets warmer.

Scent: 9.5/10
Projection: 10/10
Price: 10/10 (you get what you pay for!!)

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

I'm fond of the OPUS-collection because I tend to find them more 'challenging' then the bestselling main-titles, but I haven't sniffed them all yet AND I already have chosen VII and IX.
That said, I've still a few samples of OPUS 1, which I never wear because it didn't grow on me, too sweet, too gourmandy and too generic. I can't even understand it's role in the Library , or it must be a symbolic start-shot.
I have no patience or curiosity with it, let's call it my prejudice.

amirali0072000
amirali0072000

this lovely fragrance is very good... very strong and commercial..it is absolutely good scent, dark & mysterious Agarwood, erotic.. I love it!

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

This perfume opens on my skin like wet dog. It's the strangest burst of musty florals and dirty wet dog that I have ever smelled. In fact I smell old, musty, dusty books and unpolished shelves as well. Very odd, strangely addictive and compelling, but a rather uncoordinated concoction of ingredients.
Some earlier reviewers have said that this is all about the drydown and by George!!!! It is!!
Sweet, creamy, soft, heavenly floral drydown which is sexy, sultry, enigmatic and utter class in a bottle! Wonderful! This is a magnificent and unique fragrance which I will most definitely wear on the most special occasions.

muzzbait
muzzbait

it's such a marvelous concoction! it is oozing with class and sophistication. probably leaning more towards a 'feminine' scent, but quite unisex, also...

there's a bitter, medicinal 'spicey' white floral tone throughout. it's punctuated by a something moderately boozy, though that could be the accord struck between the florals and the spices. trace elements of woodiness and resin are also present. whilst not for me, i would definitely recommend giving this one a decent try. it's quite a complex perfume...

Roge'
Roge'

For Opus I, it's all about the drydown baby!!! Believe it or not but this has the same warm fruity appeal as(sorta like a summertime version) Tom Ford's Plum Japonais. Unlike Tom Ford's offering, this is soapy, floral, and just plain ole light in nature...digest that one for a second. As weird as the accords may sound, Opus I kinda worked for me skin-wise. What didn't work for me is the price to value ratio. I did appreciate the longevity because typically summertime fragrances struggle with endurance.

Okay so Opus I has a massively floral opening I thought it was like a lily maybe and definitely tuberose!
The cardamom is present but not over the top unfortunately the florals most certainly are, at least in the opening. There's something I want to like about the floral element, probably the jasmine but in combination with tuberose doesn't sit right with my nose.
Whoever first mentioned the musty book smell below is totally spot on. Opus I does have that strange quality to it, very apt considering it's from the Library collection.
It's not a good start, with that opening but as it dries down it becomes sweeter the florals become more settled and a slight tonka bean thickness starts to come in.
For me though this is not something I'd wear nor does it appeal but an interesting smell if you're prepared to give it a chance.

Repogirl
Repogirl

I waited so long to try an Amouage fragrance and boy did I pick the wrong one. What a huge disappointment this was.

First I was almost knocked over with the sweetness of it but I thought, OK, I need to be patient... this has to get better. But nope, stayed the same boring sweet overpowering floral bomb.

I kept saying to myself, this smells exactly like something else... but couldn't figure it out until I realized it smelled just like something I already have, Dolce & Gabanna Red Cap but I actually like D&G better and it's half the price of Opus I.

I really should have stuck with my first choice to try, Homage or Lyric. Lesson learned, don't second guess yourself.

MrsLetterO
MrsLetterO

Ohhhh.. strange. Well I read the reviews before I sprayed and I was expecting a bit like L'Air de Rien. There is a musty book feel, it's very strong and piercing to the nose at first, like smelling aspergillus. It's not a very friendly beast... it's been locked away in the box for centuries and now it's pretty angry. I washed it down to take the edge off a little. I find it interesting, but not a perfume. It's an experience. A wet library now drying out. I get no discernible flowers and no sweetness. The cardamom carries it through, like the pod hiding in your curry that's been burnt around the edges. The drydown is long awaited as others have said. I am reminded of Monty Python, "the beast is moulting, the fluff gets up your nose". This gets up your nose, but in an intriguingly new way.

jhitt793
jhitt793

A little too much floral notes in this one for me. I could have sworn I smelled cinnamon in this, but not listed in ingredients. There is a perplexing blending of powdery sweetness and smokey incense which is sharply and harshly discordant. Definitely not worth the asking price for this one, as there are plenty of better offerings out there at this price point. (82)

vertoxrealms222
vertoxrealms222

Flipping hell this is heavenly
Loove it

Aquarky63
Aquarky63

I found it very gourmand with clove, cinnamon and horehound candy.....maybe licorice. Then overtones of carnation.....and perhaps cedar. i also find it linear and strong. It does not suit my taste.

I have had samples of the Amouage Opus series for quite a while. I acquired the first three way back when they were launched, then I requested IV and V, of which I have rather small samples--not the generous manufacturer-produced ones, which come in adorable little boxes and line up next to one another to look like books. Apparently there are some newer volumes as well, but I do not have samples of those. Anyway, for whatever arbitrary reason, I chose today, the last day of 2012, to open up Opus I.

To my great surprise, OPUS I smells like an old book in a centuries-old library! There is a mustiness and a bitterness and a dustiness to the opening which immediately calls to my mind the stacks in the basement at a university library--take your pick: they all smell pretty much this way!

My second big surprise was that in vague wafts, OPUS I reminds me Miller Harris L'AIR DE RIEN, which I vehemently denied smelled like a library, though that was what Jane Birkin apparently requested of Lyn Harris, back when the perfume was being designed. So now I'm faced with a contradiction: was I wrong then, or am I wrong now?????

Oh well, I was a different person back then. Today, OPUS I does smell like a library, and it does remind me a bit of L'AIR DE RIEN. The two perfumes are really quite different, but the je ne sais quoi musty-old-pages quality binds them together.

In contrast to L'AIR DE RIEN, the bitter, wood-splinter opening of OPUS I is rather off-putting, and it, too, reminds me just a bit of another perfume: Clinique AROMATICS ELIXIR, which I have fallen in love with despite the harsh chamomile-clary sage opening. My impression is that the people who hate that perfume have never waited it out to the drydown, which is truly divine.

Does the same thing happen with OPUS I? Yes, and no. Yes, the perfume becomes less bitter and stern, but, no, the depth and wonder of ELIXIR never really arrives. Instead, OPUS I becomes less pungent and more likeable as it develops, not really changing so much as it fades.

There are two diametrically opposed prejudices working simultaneously here: on the one hand, we all know that Amouage is an überluxury house, so we expect excellence. The ingredients are always top-notch, and OPUS I is no exception to the rule. On the other hand, for the same reason (the elevated price), we always expect more from a perfume of this type in terms of its composition.

Don't judge this book by its cover, just decide for yourself whether you like this odd assortment of notes which conspire to re-create the scent of an old library--or not. OPUS I is unique, and I am happy to have experienced this perfume, but I'll satisfy the craving to smell it again, if and when it ever arises, by spending a day in the stacks!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I get a strong lily note in the opening, then the chypre notes come in, but in the final drydown there are so many sweet notes that don't seem to go with the chypre my nose is quite confused and overwhelmed. I would describe this as a very strange and overdone scent.

There is in there somewhere a hint of a vintage scent that I remember from childhood. A Lanvin? Or is it a bit of Dana? Not sure, but it is going to drive me crazy until I remember.

In conclusion, I am so glad I do not have a bottle of this. If I did, I would have to kick myself every day for 325 days, a kick a day for every dollar spent!

Also, I do not recommend the Library series- I find the mainline Amouage fragrances better in general. The Library line is the epitome of wretched excess in my opinion.

kkoun
kkoun

Unique. Different. Quite like Arabia attars But not as deep. This fragrance stands on its own. Plum, jasmine, incense, sandalwood and cardamom notes stand out for me and they last with the fragrance life. And it is very long lasting. Probably 3 days on fabric and you still can smell it. This is a linear fragrance so it stays same from start to end. I really like it. But somehow I find it powdery and I am not a fan of powder. It can be worn all year round and ofcourse you wont smell like any other person in the room or actually a soccer stadium. This is very strong, so ride it slow.
Verdict: 8/10

Heverton
Heverton

Opus I starts out with a blast of cardamom followed by a hint of jasmine, that trough time, gets higher and higher, leaving us in the heart, with a fragrance totally devoted to the floral aspect, where jasmine is mixed with other floral notes.

At the base, we then have the appearance of woody notes and a hint of incense, serving as a balance between the intense feminine aspect at the top and heart, and this masculine aspect at the base.

This is way too much. Opulence and richness are very dengerous territories in perfumeyr as they can easily cross the border of excess and vulgarity. Opus I may not result vulgar but it's surely excessive. Way too sweet, way too strong, totally unbalanced. An overwhelming white floral potpourri/tuberose combo that's absolutely devastating. I can't smell anything else, sorry.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

For my nose this is the least favorite from the Opus Line, much too flat for the price tag for sure..too many different notes, nothing distinguishable at first but later I got some vanille or tonka been note that I could not wear on my skin. Not even exciting enough for a decant for me..

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This is so thoroughly blended that even in the opening it was hard for me to make out individual notes. It’s a unique and original smell all its own, but it reminds me of something I can’t quite put my finger on, possibly a perfume that my mother had when I was a child. I suppose the emergence of a unique scent is the mark of a good perfume.

If I were hard pressed to say what it smells like, I would describe it as a gourmand floral, or a slightly spicy plum scented with old-fashioned violets, tuberose, camphor, and tonka. It’s not what I would call a chypre. OK. I’ll narrow it down primarily to a tonka-violet combo. Odd, because violet isn’t listed in the notes. This must be one of those chameleon perfumes that behaves very differently on different people, because I don’t get much of the white floral and LOTV that others here complain about. Believe me, if I did I would scrub.

As the heart develops, there’s a key-lime-pie note that creeps in, boosting the gourmand aspect. There’s plenty of sillage, but it’s enjoyable, never crossing the line into excess. To me, the key-lime-pie note persists into the drydown, dominating any resins and woods that might be there.

The fragrance is still going strong at the end of the day, so I would say that its longevity on skin is about 24 hours. It sticks around for days on clothing. I actually like Opus I very much and, while I wouldn’t rush out and buy it even if I could afford to, if someone wanted to give me a bottle as a gift I certainly wouldn’t complain.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

This has a wonderful opening but too quickly the white floral heart takes over. Now, these are NOT "old lady" white flowers, but what they are is rich and opulent and sheer and airy.

Yes, that may sound like a contradiction, rich and sheer? Opulent and airy? But it's true. They are rich but diaphonous, but the problem is that there is no counterpoint to them for hours. What starts out as a beautiful heart becomes a bit ugly and then even annoying as the hours go by. Finally the woods of the base begin to peak through and again some balance is restored, but it's already too late.

It may work on others' skin better than my own, so it's worth a sniff. I think this scent is the most feminine of the Opus trio (with III being almost right in the middle of the masculine/feminine divide, and II leaning slightly masculine). Longevity and sillage are excellent, as is usual with Amouage.

annabolina
annabolina

What I can smell on the first place is lily of the valley. For me it is a bad news.....
With the plum and cardamom it goes really weird.
A bit later maybe tubarose is more emphatic, but I am not sure. I wouldn't say it is a chypre scent.It has an almost sweet, woody, bit fruity(how can it be?) smell, notes can hardly be found inside the frag, it is complex, rich, and queer. Really-really interesting. But I could not wear this.
The price? Well, I wouldn't pay $325 for this stuff.

Nimue666
Nimue666

I'm a beginner, so I got a sample of several classic/must smell decants... this is the first I received.

If they are all as good as this, I may have to retire and spend the rest of my life sniffing my wrists.

LOL

darkroomvisitor
darkroomvisitor

The opening of Opus I is very complex and promising. But as Kterhark mentioned, the heart of the perfume isn't very special. But the drydown is very vanilla/benzion which I like but don't want to wait several hours for.
However I wouldn't say that the difference between Opus I and a $50 bottle goes unnoticed.

Kterhark
Kterhark

This opens with a pine note, which I like. It's very refreshing. Unfortunately after the opening it takes a turn for the litter box and stays there.

This was a scrubber on me. I'm now trying it again just to make sure, and nope, the kitty is still sitting on the box with this one.

I'm baffled how this could have gone so wrong. A Chypre? With plum, ylang ylang, rose and incense? This required an effort to bomb. I'd be willing to place hard earned cash on the table that if you blindfolded someone and stuck this under their nose, followed by a similar ingredient fragrance that was less than $50, the sniffer wouldn't be able to pick the $325 bottle.

Sorry to be catty, but i was expecting more from this price tag.

The Library Collection Opus I by Amouage 3.60 out of 5 based on 145 ratings and 29 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Amouage The Library Collection Opus I fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Amouage The Library Collection Opus I, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify The Library Collection Opus I by Amouage. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of The Library Collection Opus I by Amouage represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.