Designers » A » Oriental Floral « Groups

The Library Collection Opus III Amouage for women and men

The Library Collection Opus III Amouage for women and men
dislike

yellow floral
The Library Collection Opus III Amouage for women and men Pictures The Library Collection Opus III Amouage for women and men Pictures

Amouage presents a new luxury collection The Library Collection, which includes three scents - Opus I, Opus II and Opus III. All three fragrances are created as timeless olfactory adventures that pay no attentions to current trends. The collection is not classified by gender - these designs are intended to highlight the quality of the essences and glorify the act of creativity, skill and art.

Christopher Chong, the creative director of Amouage, is credited for creating this collection. The new fragrances represent the memories as their very names are associated with the library in which many hidden treasures that lead us to ongoing research and study are hidden. The Library Collection is essentially a poetic homage to the art of living.

Opus III is the third fragrance of the luxurious Amouage Library Collection, created by the perfumer Karine Vinchon Spehner. Floral notes of mimosa and broom introduce us into the world of this composition, together with cloves, nutmeg and thyme. Violet, jasmine, ylang-ylang and orange blossom essences are t the heart. The base is created with rich oriental notes of ambrette, papyrus, musk, notes of cedar wood, sandalwood and Guaiac, with the warm embrace of balsamic benzoin and soft vanilla. The Library Collection Opus III was launched in 2010.

Mimosa Dyer’s Greenweed Clove Nutmeg Thyme

Jasmine African Orange flower Ylang-Ylang Violet

Musk Sandalwood Guaiac Wood Virginia Cedar Benzoin Vanille Ambrette (Musk Mallow) Papyrus

Ombre Mercure
Jasmin Noir
Jasmin Noir L’Essence
L'Heure de Nuit

The Library Collection Opus III Fragrance Reviews

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

This should be called "Headache Absolute".

A sickening, suffocating mixture of parma violets, ylang and soapy orange blossom. The dry down smells like a giant soap bubble.

If you're fan of this type of scent I might suggest rubbing cough medicine into your decolletage. It's cheaper.

moosa
moosa

It is sweet creamy perfume and it's definately linear then you have the same scent till the end.
IMO it not for men and it's too feminine,but men can wear it too.
when i smelled it for first time ,it sounded so familiar to me.
After a while i realised it is exactly like one of my wife's perfume "Creed love in black"
These two are identical and in my opinion Creed is a hell a lot better with less price.
Then if you like it,you'd better give Love in black a shot first.

Hassan Nasrallah
Hassan Nasrallah

very sophisticated and elegant perfume which can be used for casual occasions , it is perfect for who likes long lasting well radiated light perfumes ,
i always thought that mimosa cannot match a masculine look but opus 3 changed my idea .

muzzbait
muzzbait

this is quite the departure from common amouage 'punchy' scents. no bombastic, in-your-face, borderline offensive ingredients. this is more subtle, almost subdued and even mute. quite florally and woodsy. the balsamic quality provided from the resin (doesn't quite smell like benzoin to me...) adds a deep base to the scent, but for mine it's a little too un-amouage-ey. i'd expect this from l'artisan, to tell you the truth. look, it's nice, but it just doesn't fit that amouage profile...

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Powerful opening, a violet that smells like iris, a mimosa as powerful as a tuberose, other (nice) flowers I don't get clearly. A classic, honest, well-executed floral chypre with a mimosa heart, an earthy and aromatic base of cedar and dry woods (that, weirdly, vanish quickly), softened by a gentle and pleasant vanillin-tonka note with a resinous touch. Green and balsamic feel coming and going. As I said, a classic, initially kaleidoscopic and opulent composition which just "switches volume off" too soon. In fact, its promising, musky, baroque, decadent, soapy, shady and bold chypre-poudrée personality evolves really quickly – or better say, tones down, losing much of its vitality, and what you get sooner than you expected is an elegant, pleasant but fairly dull and sleepy floral-talcum poudrée blend still with a persistent (evolving into "annoying") tonka note. And at this point you're probably already regretting the crazy price you paid for this. Decent.

abmr999
abmr999

Longevity - 9-10
Sillage - 8- 10
Scent - 7-10

Kain
Kain

There in not much to talk about this fragrance.
It's a smooth and creamy sweet floral scent with a little amount of spice in the background that turns to a darker floral scent.
It's not a complex scent. there are no major changes in the notes from the opening to the base.
To be honest I don't see anything special or exciting here unless you want to spend big money to have a pleasant, simple, floral feminine fragrance.
Projection is really good and longevity is around 10 hours on my skin.

راستش عطر خیلی پیچیده ای نیست که بخوام در موردش زیاد صحبت کنم
یه عطر با شیرینی ملایم و دلچسب ترکیب با رایحه ملایم و دلپذیر گلها و مقدار بسیار جزئی رایحه های ادویه ای که البته به سختی به مشام میرسن
بوی عطر به مرور زمان فقط کمی سنگین تر و تاریک تر میشه و یه مقدار منو یاد تام فورد بلک ارکید انداخت ولی نه به اون تاریکی و سنگینی
بوش به نظر من زنانه اس و اصلا حس مردانه ای نداره ولی بوی خیلی ملایم و دلپذیری داره و اگه از این سبک بوها خوشتون میاد و مرد هم هستین چرا که نه. استفاده کنین و حالشو ببرین
پخش بوی این عطر خیلی خوبه و بالای 10 ساعت روی پوست ماندگاری داره

I tried this a while back but reserved judgement for when I had a wearable sample.
Just not to my taste Opus III. The mimosa although not entirely unpleasant, is just not my bag baby.
It's quite vanilla really I get the ylang ylang too and all in all it's a complex fragrance. It reminds me of when I used to collect samples on a weekly basis from a wet wipe company to test in my lab. This is very reminiscent of what the factory smelled like...and I'm not be cruel to Opus III the smell was complex and quite nice really.
It's a clean smell which has not spicy tricks up its sleeve like the typical Amouage thing, also this has a vague synthetic banana thing much like reflection man.
Luckily that goes away in the dry down in fact everything dies down and you're left with an agreeable if not a little floral smell.

Cereza
Cereza

"Opus III" is a masterpiece. The opening violet and mimosa combo is to die for, the papyrus joining in adds a twist - after the old book smell this actually turns to smell like industrial glue, nevertheless my nose was stuck upon the scent for the entire journey and I loved the smell. I got dozens of compliments wearing it, even though I did not think I smell pleasing, because - really? sweet mimosa and industrial glue?

When it's been around three hours on the skin it starts to get even better, I love how this perfume changes, you get the sweet mimosa and then BOOM in few minutes you are thrown over by a dry vanilla/clove/sandalwood (similar to Mona Di Orio Vanille, but much, much better) just to be greeted by the same mimosa again later.

The drydown though is the divine vanilla-clove-sandalwood dryness/sweetness, truly pretty. I've never before have wanted and not wanted something so badly. On the one hand - this is truly unique and top quality, but on the other hand - come on, industrial glue! I tell myself that it will not be a good investment, though I seem to be addicted to my wrists especially in the glue phase.

jhitt793
jhitt793

As I am not a huge fan of yellow floral scents, I did not have high expectations for this fragrance. That being said, there was a brief moment in the opening that I did enjoy a beautiful violet flower note, but alas it was drowned out by the headache inducing mimosa. The rest was downhill from there for me. (84)

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Floral/ Woody Unisex MASTERPIECE!

Think "L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme" genuinely floralized, glamourized, luxuriorized and updated into the 21st century and you'll get this.

It is MIMOSA heaven on earth.

I will wear this on my wedding.....or any day you wanna make love to yourself especially early spring/ summer.

Yellow cheer that wakes up your senses after a long cold winter.

This and Opus IV are my favs.

My first impression upon applying Amouage OPUS III was that it was very similar to OPUS I. That belief was swiftly defeated, however, as the perfume developed and settled down. It did waft briefly of old books in libraries, so I was happy and a bit relieved to see the papyrus note listed in the hierarchy--I was not simply imagining the similarity!

OPUS III swiftly takes leave of the library and dons a peridot green silk sheath dress and stilettos before going out for a night on the town. She's too well-behaved to hit the clubs, so I'd say that her date lands her in a fine French restaurant where she spends the evening slowly savoring her meal and sipping champagne.

The overall feeling is sleek and golden, and the most prominent note to my nose in this composition is benzoin, which I happen to love, so naturally this beautiful blend appeals to me. Ambrette, also a favorite of mine, is no doubt working its magic here. But I must confess to being altogether unable to tease out most of the many notes of this blend. The florality is undeniable--it's just that they are woven together so that I cannot pick out any individual flowers. I would have guessed narcissus, but it's not listed among the notes.

Anyway, details, details. Who really cares what's inside? OPUS III smells wonderful. The closest comparison I can come up with is probably NEJMA VI plus a bunch of flowers. Which is just to say, in a word: benzoin.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I agree with skyblue that this is
"woody-creamy-resinous and wonderful Vanilla in the drydown." The final drydown is quite nice.

However, and that's a big however, do not under any circumstances put the scent up to your nose right after you put it on before it starts to dry down. If you do, you will get a noseful of the strongest acetone smell on earth so be forewarned. This would knock over an elephant it is so strong and it takes almost an hour before this juice begins to smell even vaguely like something I would wear. Definitely don't leave the house for at least an hour after you put it on. It takes that long for all those very strong scents to finally blend.

careless86
careless86

i am not one of amouage's fan , but this perfume is masterpiece

sky blue
sky blue

This is gorgeous, complex, warm, but not too heavy, and very, very comforting scent.

Woody-creamy-resinous and wonderful Vanilla in the drydown, fragrance that hugs you. There is something 'friendly' in it, but at the same time you can feel it is a great, high-quality, classy fragrance, really special.

My favourite Amouage so far. This could become my HG for Fall/Winter.

mssallywalk2011
mssallywalk2011

It is so similar to guerlain insolence or my insolence. Its very lovely. Wear it in spring weather what a nice aroma.

lara0905
lara0905

Another masterpiece..I'm totally impressed by Amouage, every perfum I tried beautifully composed, well blended symphonies.

Opus III is tenderness and sensuality in liquid form.It's sensual from the opening until the end.Like a soft kiss on the skin...Powdery violet touch in the opening, after a few minutes the cloves and nutmeg notes makes the scent complex. The middle phase is flowery swirl with the spices, and the drydown is that sensual touch: semi-sweet spiced vanilla with some benzoin and ylang-ylang.

I have very strong personality but I would wear this fragrance on my girlish days..:)Georgeous!

Update: Bijan Nude is a nice association of this scent.

Melchizedek
Melchizedek

Well, indeed a powdery and somehow chemical like bitter almond in the opening. Reminds me of something you would expect from Guerlain or Jean patou, as henri345que says. Still, my flatmate comments:" This is exactly what my grandma used to wear."
N#2 is much better than this.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

Amouage copied 80% of "Balahe" when making "The Library Collection Opus III" !! "Opus III" is an almost exact (but sweeter/more" rounded") copy of "Balahe" edt (by LEONARD), which is discontinued. But "Balahe" can still be found for a good price on the internet !! AND best of all = you can get "Balahe" for a *MUCH* better price. And the black Balahe-bottle, with a silk red string is such a beautiful piece of art itself!! Oh, good I saved me some money by already owning this scent in Balahe! :)

connossieur
connossieur

Ahh, soo nice... Have a sample of it, and hope to be able to buy a full bottle, pretty expensive though!

It´s like wrapping up in a luxorious cashmere blanket... Soft, warm, sensual. Feels heavy at first but sets sooo beautifully!
Will buy it eventually!

larali
larali

Dr. Pepper! With mint and baby powder!

Seriously though, this is elegant. Would suit a respectable professor, or a father of the bride.

Thanks nanano for the sample.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Opus No 3 starts off as a strong, powdery floral, far too strong in my opinion. Of course I sprayed it, since that’s how it came, in its little white coffin-in-a-tube, so I probably OD’ed on it. The opening is mostly extra-strength violet, bitter-almondy mimosa, and something that smells like leather treatment chemicals. It’s way too much, too soon.

If there is any banana in the mix, it’s such an overripe, decaying one that it hardly qualifies as a banana any more and is pretty much outmatched by the screaming ionones, heliotropin (?), and bitter almonds anyway. The powdery floral notes last for hours, persisting into the generic powdery-woody drydown.

This is my least favorite of the Opus series. I would wear No 1 or No 2, but there are so many nicer powdery- violet-floral scents floating around that I see no need to subject my nostrils to this one.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

Isn't that the most beautiful violet related fragrance you ve ever smelled!?? Go and sample this if you are a violet lover! For my nose it is the most fat, creamy rich violence fragrance in the world! Finally I found my violet signature fragrance:) But there is also soo much more in that thick layered fragrance: the smoky benzoine in the drydown makes me think of my beloved L'air du Desert Marocain in combination with the wonderful sweet gaiac wood and sandalwoody notes...it takes many times of applying this before you really can differ the ingredients: today I detected the mimosa in the opening!Gorgeous!! Yesterday it was yasmine in the middlenotes...wow!Violet and jasmine..could go perfectly well together!! Anyway its kind of a sweet fragrance but NOWHERE near a cloying sweetness as in Loulou or Angel or Poison..no a fine woody flowery sweetness that you can bear easily and admire even more...I even get a very soft vanilla tone today in the drydown and normally I do not like in my perfumes... What I do like best in this perfume is that you have the idea of wearing at least 4 different perfumes one after another! It really smells as a different perfume in the drydown..my husband had asked me three times yesterday:What are you wearing now? I smiled and answered: still the same stuff.. so I got myself the big bottle of it..luckily on ebay at less bucks...

myrrhmaid
myrrhmaid

Just horrible, I can only compare this to a cleaning fluid. I could smell a hint of Amouage in there but it's just ascrubber.

annabolina
annabolina

I liked it most from the three of the Library Collection.
The white flowers take me to Dior Pure Poison Elixir, quasi, or to Aoud Velvet-without that schokking aoud note. They are welldone, refined, well-balanced, almost powdery, not too sweet, not too harsh, simply nice.
After two hours - the drydown is DIVINE. Close to the skin, melting into some beautiful comforting floral smell.
But the truth is - that the perfum itself is not as special as the price of the stuff.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

Well, after testing Opus III on my skin I don't hate it anymore. The first sniff on a card was off-putting and the ylang-ylang and banana notes really came out on the card, but on my skin it played out a bit differently.

Opus III has an interesting opening that can be described in a single word: chaotic. It calls to mind the openings of some of the more daring scents by MPG. There is a whirlwind of clashing notes which creates a bit of a cacophony. Flowers, hay, something a bit dirty, a hint of indoles, powder, nutmeg or some other similar spice. I wasn't sure what to make of it except that I didn't really like it in a purely olfactory sense, but that it's interesting intellectually just trying to figure out what the heck is really going on. That's when I thought back to the premise behind these scents: inspired by libraries, dusty old books, dried parchment, writing utensils, the creative process. Things relating to the search for, and expansion of knowledge. And so, from here on out I tried to view Opus III's development with that concept in mind.

That's when it hit me. Conceptually, Opus III is genius. The opening could just smell like a cacophony of notes, but keeping in mind the inspiration behind the scent, it becomes a bit clearer what one is smelling. The opening calls to mind the image of finding an ancient text up in a forgotten attic that is covered with years, possibly decades of dust. The leather binding is dry and the pages are stiff and yellowing, and the chest you found it in is a bit musty. None of this is unpleasant, although it isn't what one would call pleasant, either. It just is.

Within a few minutes the chaos of the opening has settled down and a very dry and powdery note begins to emerge, along with a hint of banana. Thankfully, the banana note was much more quiet on skin than on paper, and it called to mind nothing more than some ripe bananas hanging on a hook over in the corner of the room. The dry and powdery note has a couple facets and calls to mind two things: the smell of chalk dust, and the smell of a certain type of paper that for some reason made me think of the smell of a Bible I had as a child. There is a hint of sweetness, but the notes remain very dry, but thick and lush. The texture of the scent is so very very full, very dense, slightly stuffy even, but never suffocating.

A slightly rubbery note begins to emerge. Erasers. Yes, the smell of those all too familiar pink erasers. Dusty books and dry paper, chalk, erasers. This could very well be the smell of a small room where Einstein or Feynman pored over tomes of knowledge, jotted thoughts in a notebook and scrawled out equations on a chalkboard. The room is small and dusty and a bit stuffy but it is warm and comforting. It smells very old and yet familiar, comfortable.

Over time the woods of the base press through the chalk/eraser/paper accord, modifying it so that everything smells older, drier. The whole room is now but an image on a piece of film tucked into a photo album in a chest that you will someday find in the future. An old memory, almost forgotten, now recalled in sepia tones.

I don't know what to make of the scent. Conceptually, as I said, it is really genius. After settling down within the first 15 minutes or so, it becomes very comfortable to wear, although it is a very dry powdery scent with a hint of dry woods (papyrus, a gentle sandalwood). Not feminine, per se, and not masculine in any kind of modern sense. It is just old fashioned. It is more the smell of a time and a place and thus is not directly associated with gender, as the time and place recollected are unrelated to either gender as well.

It's very strong and longevity is fantastic. Sillage seems moderate. I wouldn't wear this often, but it would be the perfect scent to wear while doing some intensive studying, especially when all cooped up inside during winter, whether it be in a dorm room, library, or fireside in the den.

My rating:
4.7/5 conceptually, 4/5 subjectively.

I may pick up a small decant or a few more samples for the few days this winter when it would really hit the spot. This is a one spray scent, in my opinion, so I could probably get away with a mere 2mL to last me all winter.

Worth a sniff if you are into conceptual scents, or are looking for a dry powder comfort scent (think Or des Indes, although this is a bit less ornate/luxurious, although this smells higher quality and far more 'comfy').

Kterhark
Kterhark

I liked this better than Opus I, but not at first sniff. This is best experienced as a diffuse halo about your person (and not by sticking your nose in it, like I first did)

Opening was a little jarring and stinky. The middle phase 'florals out', becoming earthy and wet with a restrainted sweetness. The drydown lingers for six hours and settles into an 'I've smelled this before' type of base (resinous and warm)

All in all I"m just not the biggest Amouage fan but wanted to try this new collection out of curiosity. Opus (all of them) wear a little 'flat' on me; nothing snaps or cathes my nose's attention. There isn't enough distinction between notes and they come together in some sort of agreement not to offend, like a forced reality show.

But, if you are goign to try this collection start with this one. It's probably all you'll need, and it is a pleasing scent, just not one that will wow you.

The Library Collection Opus III by Amouage 4.16 out of 5 based on 109 ratings and 27 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Amouage The Library Collection Opus III fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Amouage The Library Collection Opus III, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify The Library Collection Opus III by Amouage. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of The Library Collection Opus III by Amouage represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.