Designers » A » Chypre « Groups

Animale Animale for women

Animale Animale for women
dislike

Animale by Animale is a Chypre fragrance for women. Animale was launched in 1987. Top notes are coriander, green notes, hiacynth, neroli, bergamot and brazilian rosewood; middle notes are honey, carnation, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are patchouli, musk, coconut, civet, oakmoss and vetiver.

Coriander Green Notes Hiacynth Neroli Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood

Honey Carnation Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Patchouli Musk Coconut Civet Oakmoss Vetiver

Parfum de Peau
Paloma Picasso

Animale Fragrance Reviews

no-fi
no-fi

Animale is a greenimalic chypre like no other. It's a scent that tames its wearer, but will never be tamed. If you engage Animale on her own terms and go along for the rough-and-tumble ride, you may get a glimpse of her sublime beauty. But if you're foolish enough to think you can truly understand her depths, she'll rip your beating heart from your chest. That's the appeal of Animale - docile and purring one moment; ferocious and scary the next.

Animale opens very green with a burst of varied florals - sweet, indolic, white and green. The civet note is on the prowl from the start, and continues into the heart. The beautifully unforgiving rose note is also prominent, coming to the fore, but never overpowering.

As Animale settles on the skin, the honey, patchouli and coriander notes rise in prominence. This is my favourite part of Animale's evolution - it transforms from a feminine green floral to an almost masculine aromatic. It's like someone sneaked a couple of cheeky drops of Givenchy Gentleman into the mix.

And it keeps getting better - that enormous mossy base note, unfettered by reformulation, makes for a sublime woody dry down in accord with the vetiver and rosewood.

As a man, I can say Animale is one of those vintage women's scents that works just as well across genders. The animalic notes, the patchouli and moss help to tone down the floral opening to make it truly unisex. I bought this for me and my partner, but I've ended up wearing it more than she does.

Performance is suitably beastly. Animale lasts and projects better than scents many times its price - which is ridiculously cheap, by the way. Throw in an exquisite bottle of peerless late-1980s design, and you have an absolute classic on your hands. But be careful - this kitty likes to do more than just scratch.

Lilypads
Lilypads

Wowsers!!! Received this from the US today. I sprayed myself as I do with most atomisers - 2 blasts on the neck and one on each wrist and since then I've felt like I'm a walking, talking bottle of perfume! This stuff is strong! I sprayed too much! The sillage is awesome. I will stick to just one spray from now on if wearing in company.
It's a gorgeous perfume, a proper powerhouse of a perfume that packs a punch. A couple of people have remarked that it reminds them of Magie Noire. On my skin it doesn't smell anything like Magie Noire (nothing beats Magie Noire vintage in my opinion) - it's not as warm and sensual as MN. Someone else mentioned it's like Paloma Picasso - nope not getting that either on my skin. It does remind me of another perfume that I either have or have had but cannot put my finger on which one. If I do I will update. This perfume is a bold chypre and the woody accords and patchouli are very prominant. It's not for the faint hearted, it's not sweet. I'm saying what it's not because I'm struggling to say what it is! Big and bold is what it is! I like a perfume that makes me go WOW! So yes I like it. I also get a scent of fresh tea leaves coming through!

Update: finally figured out what this perfume reminds me of that I have and its Acqua Di Parma Magnolia Nobile.

theladymay
theladymay

If you're here to review the version of Animale in the mostly pink/purple bottle, with the fruity notes - this is the wrong spot. It's under Animale Animale (1994) currently one down from this in the brand's index. This one is listed only as Animale (1987) Confused yet? :P They're two quite different scents. Maybe this is where Dior got the idea to name so many different perfumes Miss Dior Cherie..

FaunAromatic
FaunAromatic

I just purchased this and am glad I did. If you shy away from big, potent scents, might be best to avoid this and leave more for the rest of us.

I'm pleased this 80s fume seems to have survived with its bite intact, as opposed to some other comparable chypres. It's also amazing to use in combination with other scents. Believe it or not, Animale smells delicious with the lightest touch of Pink Sugar on top. Not enough to make the sugar notes stand out, just a bit to add a roundness at the very top.

If Animale were a horoscope sign, it'd be Leo. If Animale were a lover, s/he'd be a biter. Animale hurts so good.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

Decided against Animale men and got Animale women. Glad for that. This is my kind of fume. Not sure if my perfumes along these lines of civet are woody chypre. If not, this is a wonderful addition to my menu. Frankly, I've bought so many recently it's hard to keep track. What isn't hard to remember are the ones that are carnal. Tabu. Passion. Animale. As a guy the dirty creature and I are fast friends. You just can't find this stuff on the men side of the table. Shame. Too many guys are missing out who don't see a chance (and take it) to think outside the fragrance box. Imagine myself rolling around in the forest somewhere, ready to mate!

Lovesmells
Lovesmells

Very, very close to Paloma Picasso's Paloma Picasso and to Lancôme Magic Noire
This goes on your cleavage, not your wrists. And so is for certain occasions>>>>, not a movie date. It is come hither not Sunday in the park or meeting with the boss.
Vulgar is not in my vocabulary for this or its mentioned above similars. Basic instinct is more like it.
Yes, don't use a lot. Often with strong things like this, I spray on a cotton ball, apply and throw the cotton ball so it is the base that goes on me. No need to suffocate anyone
To me, it is of course a chypre, straight up, rose is lost on me. It settles sweet on me. And not rancid.
Old time, 80s, yes on both. But not all things under these categories is bad.
I would choose any of these three mentioned to try these type of notes.
Be careful with samples, I have experienced that samples for these stronger types of fragrances turn bad or acidic when decanted (for me was Fracas and Joy)

Ivyswirl
Ivyswirl

It all makes sense now! Beautiful sense!
So I bought this for about a fiver with a great sense of trepidation, I liked the idea of chypres but somehow not much worked for me except Mitsouko, I struggled to like them if I'm honest.

And yet this was a weird revelation! Yes, it's loud and rather vulgar I guess (it's no french lady) but now I actually understand the Paloma Picasso I actually gave away in horror!

It is a mean, sharp, mossy rose with herbal nuances on me and even the notes such as coriander and hyacinth I adore in this where I normally shy away.

I find the sillage and longevity great even with my dry skin and am currently planning to test some more of the line and start beasting similar scents like Knowing and Paloma Picasso again with renewed vigour!

butterbean
butterbean

Great review Fruit Diet :)

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Incredibly vulgar, ketchupy fruity animalic rose chypre along the lines of La Nuit, Rumba, and Montana, but without the prestige or reputation of those. I love this genre but it produced some truly vulgar perfumes--the closest modern trend that approximates the effect is those overly sticky gourmands that bring to mind candy melted at the bottom of trashcans. There is this "ketchup" effect in certain 80s perfumes that I believe came from their trying to update classical chypres with modern sweet fruity syrup accords.

Hilarious. I'd love to be around some broad wearing this.

ginandjewess
ginandjewess

Woodsy, chypre, controversial - by all accounts I should love Animale. I blind-bought a giant bottle on the cheap from Amazon and was super excited when I saw the postal truck drive up on the day of its arrival. Ripped open the box (like it was already inspiring animal instincts in me) and the bottle itself was a block of ice, but I happily sprayed away anyway. Hmmm... first run was a little TOO woodsy, even for me (I've considered wearing Christmas air fresheners as fragrance) - and too masculine, but I liked something about it, figured I'd let it warm up a bit and try again.

Second run, the next morning. ACK. NO. B.O. B.O. B.O. Oh, and a couple crushed fir needles. A burnt matchstick, maybe. But mostly just INTENSE human body odor, and not in a good way. I kept checking my armpits to make sure it wasn't actually me. Scrubbed off in the shower and slapped on some Coriandre for work.

My housemate wanted to try it before I posted it on the 'Bay. She gave herself the lightest of spritzes on her wrist, and it was exactly what I had hoped for - dry rose, sharply woodsy/herbal, faint musk that added just the right amount of depth and warmth... She passed though, as it's not her style. WHY IS LIFE SO UNFAIRRRUH.

The bottle hasn't sold, and I'm almost reluctant to keep trying. I respect the hell out of this fragrance, it's the badass b*tch of my collection. It taunts me, the tallest and boldest among the bottles on my perfume tray, and I want to try it one more time... if only I can work up the courage.

drugstore classics

Oh, how I Looooooove Animale.

She is not for everyone, yet I cannot help but adore her unabashedly. After smelling Animale, here's a simple summary from a dear friend:

"B*tchy Rose!"

Or, for those familiar with it's more sophisticated cousin:

Coriandre - on Steroids :D

schamberae
schamberae

best best best vintage perfume. love this Chypre a lot. fresh, sour and sharp. very delicate and delicious not typical gourmand perfume that smells like birthday cake. this is exactly remain me of Cartier La Panthere (2014). Oooh it's so so me. got it from my vintage supplier for only $17 for 50ml.it is really resemblance the 80's vintage style. big gold chain necklace and earrings, red lips, coco chanel and dior dress, black heels. wear this on a cold rainy days while listening to Anita Baker's songs. just my perfect January. love it..definitely will repurchase

drugstore classics

I am a firm fan of the strongest chypres out there. My skin needs strong scents to expect any longevity or sillage at all. So while some will be quite naturally overwhelmed by Animale, I feel that I am meeting a warm and familiar friend.

The primary notes noticable on my skin seem to be Oakmoss, Rose, and Coriander. Civet and honey are honestly so subtle for me that they are invisible supporting beams, balancing out an otherwise spare structure. On others the animalic notes will conquer and perhaps even overwhelm, but for me this is simplicity and natural balance itself.

Wearing Animale in the warm autumn sunshine today brought to mind a lovely image of a garden. Not a perfect rose garden, but a working vegetable garden hedged by healthy rose bushes. My imaginary garden is a work in progress, with busy workers actively digging in the fertile earth, surrounded by green plants in various stages of growth. You can almost SMELL the dirt itself, along with the seeds and the palpable warmth of the sun. To me, that is Animale in a nutshell....

Conclusion:

As with any classic chypre, proceed with caution. Not recommended as a blind buy. But a wonderful vintage treat for those of us fed to the teeth with IFRA restrictions!

Sillage - moderate, after the initial powerful blast :)

Longevity - also moderate ( at least on me )

Price - moderate to low, depending on where you live

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

Fyi, i don't own any women's perfumes, although i do like to make reviews on them based on what I've smelled on other people and so the ladies can get stuff from a male point of view. Personally, this fragrance is very "Animale" indeed. Very woodsy and natural. I also get a slight smoky, rose, blueberry muffin and woolite laundry detergent smell which I like. I have smelled this on several other women including my mom and it suited them well. It runs in the same line with Paloma Picasso and Halston. Like this, Halston, and Paloma Picasso, it smells like it could be unisex, in fact I wish this were unisex because i would definitely wear it. The age bracket id say this fits in would be 25 and up. Actually any woman as long as they're brave and confident enough. It's nice to smell women's scents that don't smell water melon cotton candy or cupcakes. I have smelled the women's Animale Animale that has the purple cap and it smells pretty much exactly like Amarige De Givenchy (another smell I adore on women). I have the men's Animale Animale and I love it (check my reviews folder for review). From a guy's point of view this is a jaw dropper.

dear DRUGSTORE CLASSICS¨,
i read your review and let me tell you the Animale perfume i had when i was a teenager was the original Animale, the one with the green cap. I live in Mexico so i can find this perfume here and I recently bought it because I liked it very much the first time I owned it... I've never smelled the other Animale Animale perfume, the one with the purple cap but maybe someday I will try it.
This Animale is so sweet, to me it smells a lot of honey with a subtle touch of spice I just can't describe it, this perfume is so delicious and sweet and it lasts forever, I can even feel the smell of perfume on my cloths the day after... the bottle looks very '80s style but I don't care about it, I'll buy another bottle after this one. Thanks for giving me your opinion on my review.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

I have recently acquired a vintage 100ml bottle of this which has been aged well, this on my skin is a blend of Knowing, Halston and Valentino Vendetta (which is my fave), Knowing is too cool for me but this has warmer notes which makes it wearable on me, Halston is too sharply patchouli/soapy on my chemistry but this is more refined and subtle, all put together they remind me of a love child of Ungaro Diva which was too green and too much oakmoss for my chemistry, there is heaps of oakmoss here but well blended into the sandalwood and galbanum. I totally get the animalic qualities in this scent, I get leathery patchouli lots of incense not quite hippy but still raw and primal with overtures of honey and carnation. Its definitely 80's but my skin can handle it. Wonderfully garish bottle makes me smile each time I hold it. Definitely not for the faint hearted but if you have always wanted to pull off Knowing but it never sits quite right I would give this a try!

thais.magrinha
thais.magrinha

On my skin all I could smell was HEAVY talc. Great expectations, great disappointments! ;(

Inamorata
Inamorata

I got this fragrance – Animale – as a gift from my cousin when she returned from a trip to Brazil. Its scent…was something I had never tried before…something so sexy, and temping, and a little bit animalistic. What I liked most about this perfume was is long lasting woody scent. I love the opening mix of pineapple, currant and orange flower. The middle notes of exotic flowers awake my “wild” side. The base notes of sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss & patchouli are the ones shaping the lingetring woody scent.
For me, this perfume was a beautiful surprise, as when I saw its plain and simple bottle I thought it couldn’t be something so unexpected inside. I was wrong. Unfortunately, after using the last drop of this fragrance I could not buy a new one as it was and still is unavailable where I live. Lucky for me there are online shops. I found it eventually on Strawberrynet.

Sherihan
Sherihan

Arrived yesterday, nostalgia, beautifully balanced. Remindes me of Diva,and MagieNoire. The rose note is dominant.

jordana90

i recently bought this one, trying to remember the past... this fragrance is very very sweet and intense, i love it!! at first i thought i wouldn't like it but on the second time i tried it i liked it. i feel it a little bit scipy but sweet at the same time and it lasts for hours, just as much as those expensive fragrances

kryziz
kryziz

I don't quite like it but it is one of the trademarks of my mom so i guess it's pleasant because of that. It's a very strong scent, not my cup of tea since i like fruity and flowery aromas.

jordana90

my mom gave me this when i was 14... i remember it was a bit loud but delicious and i can't remember how it smells so i would like to get a new bottle of this and give it a try. i'm looking for a strong and delicious scent (i love dior addict and hypnotic poison which are very long lasting and strong fragrances) so i definitely want to try this one again because i remember this is a very long lasting perfume

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

I wore this little heart breaker in the 80's and I love it as much today as I did then.
Initial spritz is a beautiful spicy note (must be the coriander) along with those green floral tones which make you inhale deeply. For a second I am thinking Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant, but Animale isn't quite as heavy or strong as Jungle and it quickly quietens down and starts to behave, unlike Jungle which is truly a wild animal.

In Animale, there are lots of beautiful spices, all orchestrated together to produce a great team effort, then along come the florals with a very well behaved patchouli in tow.
This is a very unusual perfume in that it is addictive, unique and has great sex appeal (hence the name).
Longevity is excellent and projection is good, it doesn't shout loudly but it also lets you know that it's there.
This will be a great fragrance for the autumn/fall and even possibly Christmas time as the spices make it warm whilst still being sexy.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

Brash, hard, tough, take no prisoners. This is a vulgar fragrance. And I mean that in a good way. As in Dominatrix take no prisoners. Well, Doms take prisoners, only they call them slaves. And that's what others will be if you use this fragrance correctly.
Mosses, patchouli and civet assault you. Spices and woods closely weave in and out. The recipient has no idea what is enveloping them. Animale reaches into primal tendencies and pulls them out. Muskiness is only a backdrop to the other heavy notes. This is a cocky attitude chypre of magnitude. You know what you want and who you are when you wear it. You walk with strength and others follow. Your mantra? Did I say I care? Because this perfume takes captives whether that's your intention or not. It opens eyes and minds to your bidding.

Michael Hutchence of INXS sings
"Here comes the woman, with the look in her eye
Raised on leather, with flesh on her mind
Words as weapons, sharper than knives
Makes you wonder, how the other half die? Other half die

The devil inside, the devil inside
Every single one of us the devil inside
The devil inside, the devil inside
Every single one of us the devil inside"
-Devil Inside Lyrics, INXS.

And that pretty much explains Animale. A strong-willed perfume. Be very careful in application and where you wear it. This frag lasts until you take it off. A reminder for those who wear it-don't forget your crop and handcuffs.

scentsforme
scentsforme

I love to wear this on an evening when its humid in the air, but with a breeze blowing.It seems to develop very pretty. long lasting. A reminder a little goes a long way… Like spray and walk into it…

Update: Amazing!!!!

claudja smeller
claudja smeller

(PORTUGUESE)
O cheiro de coriandro me faz lembrar muito o Coriandre, um perfume muito clássico que não é mais encontrado no Brasil, preciso mandar trazer de fora. A diferença é que Animale tem um toque mais doce que 'quebra' o tom mais seco do Coriandre. Lembra também um pouco o Agent Provocatour, mas com menos 'safadeza' kkkkk...É um perfume pra quem não gosta dos doces, gosta dos perfumes mais 'azedos' e não falo do azedo cítrico, e essa característica faz muita gente torcer o nariz para perfumes assim. Apenas mulheres fortes e sensuais conseguem carregar este perfume; frágeis, delicadas, juvenis(não me refiro a idade cronológica)não conseguirão exprimir o que são através dele, se sentirão 'agredidas'.

(ENGLISH)
The smell of coriander reminds me a lot Coriandre a very classic scent that is no longer found in Brazil, must have them bring out. The difference is that Animale has a touch sweeter than 'break' the tone drier Coriandre. Remember also somewhat Agent Provocatour, but with less 'naughtiness' kkkkk ... It's a perfume for those who do not like candy, like perfumes more 'sour' and not speak of sour citrus, and this feature makes many people twist the nose for perfumes as well. Only strong and sexy women can carry this perfume; fragile, delicate, youthful (I do not mean chronological age) will not be able to express what they are through it, feel 'battered'.

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

I love this scent.
Amazing.

Alexandre
Alexandre

Is a scent full of facets at the same time is sweet, floral, woody, animalic, resinous. Very 80's, so opulent, warm, extravagant, reminds me Aromatics Elixir. In the summer may not be a good experience. For those not seeking perfume-scented candy's

suhaesa
suhaesa

its a love hate relation with animal..it is a very animalic scent s its name suggests..very provocative..very sexy but not refined its a vulgar perfume that plays on the basic instincts of animals!
it reminds me of Art DE Gucci.

adrianasilva183618
adrianasilva183618

También fue mi perfume por más de 10 años. ¿Cómo se puede conseguir en Uruguay?

mrshopkins1973
mrshopkins1973

I can totally confuse it with Armani Code for Women, except Animale Isn't as "warm" as Armani Code. There is definately something similar. I think I do smell Carnation. Love it for Fall/Winter.

leora1987
leora1987

I love this fragrance, it's so deliciously woody and mossy and very addictive. Love it or hate it! at least it makes a statement.
If you don't like woody, chypre type fragrances then this is not for you.

etmpewo
etmpewo

Dear Myri... Yes, I do. I still have the parfum edition, splash. The parfum is only filled in the fire bolt part of the bottle. When it was sold to me, it came with a scarf in the same colors as the box.

I don't know what the EDT or EDP smells like, but the parfum is very nice, indeed.

The parfum I can't find anywhere, anymore, either.
But it used to exist, I still have it :-)

Myri
Myri

I adore it!!! I'm from Argentina and i can't get it anymore. It was my perfume more than 10 years!!

RkrChk
RkrChk

This has got to be one of the WORST fragrances I've ever tried! I'm glad I bought a mini because if I had purchased a bigger bottle, I would have screamed! The fragrance smells like spilled pickle juice after it dries...What's so beautiful about that--unless you're a wiener laying in a bun!

tavinver
tavinver

My wife loves animale, but is not my favorite woman scent, is too strong for my poor little nose, at the noon, is more acceptable, for dinner, party or another event in which many people wear perfume, the aroma is more notorious than any other.

guest_Bighouse
guest_Bighouse

I love too. Is a very nice chypre.

luisa margarita
luisa margarita

I loooove ANIMALE... It was my first chypre.... the woodsy notes melt wonderfully with flowers and ALWAYS you have de moss and the animalic note present..... It's the kind of perfume that make an statement (like magie noire).... It's not dated..... It's not girlish, It's ANIMALE

Ehh!!! It's not an acrid or rancid odor like some smells of wild creatures.... it's just the fundamental of chypre without the collateral effects. If you like chypres... give it a try!!!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Animale Animale fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Animale Animale, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Animale by Animale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Animale by Animale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.