Designers » A » Floral « Groups

Ce Soir Ou Jamais Annick Goutal for women

Ce Soir Ou Jamais Annick Goutal for women
dislike

Ce Soir Ou Jamais Annick Goutal for women Pictures Ce Soir Ou Jamais Annick Goutal for women Pictures

Ce Soir Ou Jamais (Tonight or Never) is an incredibly mysterious fragrance, as described with Annick Goutal herself, with Turkish rose in the heart of the composition. Inspiration for this fragrance she found one sunny morning in a church garden.

The Annick Goutal's rose is delicately sweet, mysterious and very natural; it awakens love in the heart. The gorgeous Turkish rose is surrounded by ambrette and hibiscus. The bottle is also worth attention. It is made of glass, in an old-fashioned style and caresses both the eyes and the hand that holds it. The fragrance comes as eau de parfum and eau de toilette. It was created in 1999.

Hibiscus Turkish Rose Amber Ambrette (Musk Mallow)

Ce Soir Ou Jamais Fragrance Reviews

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

FRAGRANCE REVIEW FOR CE SOIR OU JAMAIS BY ANNICK GOUTAL

Notes: Hibiscus Rose Amber Ambrette

I had heard that this scent was boozy and I'm purposely surrounding myself with boozy fragrances to avoid actually drinking lots of booze. This is an unusual beautiful fragrance that does evoke a red wine. I don't know how they did that with such few notes and with no rum, cognac or even a black currant/cassis. I'm going to have to conclude that the hibiscus an the ambrette pairing make this into a booze. It's spicy too. The rose of course is the dominant note. I do love this scent. It smells like an elegant beautiful young woman (the rose)let's just say she's a super model who is in Paris for Fashion Week sitting alone at a luxury hotel restaurant-bar let's say the Plaza Athenee and she's just ordered a drink for herself but she's waiting for a mysterious admirer who has slipped her a note asking to meet her at a specific time, 9pm. She believes this man could be of some use to her as usually only other fashion industry types do this sort of thing. She waits and waits and drinks and drinks. The scent becomes progressively richer boozier and spicier so I'm guessing she ordered more drinks. Yeah the guy never showed up. It was tonight or never so the answer is never. But the aroma of the perfume is not melancholy at all. It's sweet, strong, delicious, rose-scented, boozy, intoxicating and heady. It's elegant and very formal something to wear with evening clothes to formal dinner parties or even a wedding. It is a rose so if you like rose fragrances and have worn as many different rose perfumes as I have you'll enjoy it. This is a spicy rose and it dries down to a skin amber, like amber on your skin making it clean and soft, not powdery, not soapy, just like your skin but better. Warm, rich, fragrant, feminine and even sexy. I feel so sorry for that poor fashion model but at least she smelled terrific. Maybe she caught someone else's attention. She certainly has mine.

Shoshi
Shoshi

It goes on pretty light, like a light fizzy wine-y rose, but dries down hours later to heavier rose scent with a strong honey note.
It reminds me a lot of Joy by Patou, which also has that honey note.
In fact, for a minute, I almost thought I had put on Joy rather than Ce Soir Ou Jamais!

Stenklover
Stenklover

One of my favorite perfumes, a beautiful floral with sweet. Like roses mixed with the sweetness of honey. One of the nicest things I have ever smelled.

mysterious_scent
mysterious_scent

Pick lots of fresh garden roses, crush the petals in a big glass bowl, add sugar , pour some red wine, mix it well, leave it for an hour - you get Annick Goutal Ce Soir Ou Jamais. This is my impression of Ce Soir Ou Jamais - sweetened, winey red roses.

Momenti
Momenti

"Jamais Is The Answer" *

In this case I'll concur on Tania Sanchez verdict.
All seems wrong to me in this perfume: a flopped chypre made of rotten flowers.
The kind of perfume I never like.

My first deception coming from Annick Goutal: I love Songes, one of the best florals I experienced. My bad, as the name of the perfume was challenging.

kfleumer
kfleumer

At "reminds me of" I just added Amouage Jubilation Woman and that might need a little subtext. No way the comparison makes sense during the opening phase. Ce soir ou jamais opens as a sweet, almost chemical pear juice and off course Jubilation, in whatever phase, stays far far away from the juicy fruity territory. But Ce soir ou jamais then follows a steep transformational pathway, ending in being Jubilation's humble sister, an echo of Jubilation, less complex, but very beautiful nonetheless. I'm sure I'll be wearing both often, depending on mood and social/work circumstances. Unrelated but worth mentioning maybe is that experiencing Ce soir ou jamais and noting the effect it had on me, marks the moment that my lingering uneasiness about some of Luca Turin's witty and fun but often uncompromising reviews became solid. Only 2 stars out of 5 for this little gem? He mentions the pears, but not what happens next. Four stars would be my verdict. Stay with it, and you'll be surprised!

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

Simple. Sophisticated. Intimate. Mysterious. I always feel beautiful wearing Ce Soir Ou Jamais. This perfume is something that I would wear on a balmy spring or summer's evening, or on a cool day during autumn.

Evocative of romance, Tonight Or Never has an old-fashioned elegance, that's been updated with the modern hibiscus flower, which prevents it from smelling dated. On my skin, there's a wonderful hibiscus-rose scent that has an almost sticky velvet-like sweetness. As it dries down, it becomes softer, cleaner and rosier, and develops into a more vintage-smelling rose. The amber gives a lovely warmth here.

The perfume has soft to moderate sillage and a lovely sweet rosy projection which surrounds me in a little bubble. Longevity is about 7-8 hours, which is excellent for an AG perfume. One of my favourites.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

A little tearose in the opening notes.
A lot of disapointment to follow. :-(

Sweetish floral powder - dirty powder - in the later notes.
Thick, musty, warm. And only for the winter.
Moderate sillage and lasting a couple of hours on the skin.

I think I am done with Goutal - the notes all sound right, yet the 'fumes never work for me.

Fhaldara
Fhaldara

I recently got a sample of this, and think I will be ordering a fb soon. I like it much more than Rose Splendide which smells like marshmallows mixed with a bit of rosewater on me. This opens with some citrus, then I get the rose, turning musky as it dries down. I'm not a really big fan of rose fragrances but I want at least one in my collection - think this will do very well!
EDIT: I did get a fb of this, but don't like it as much as the sample - this is the 2nd time this has happened with an AG fragrance. Its nice enough, and I will wear it but probably not very often. The citrus seems to be more pronounced, and I get an underlying sourness from start to finish that doesn't mix well with the other notes.

eaudemoi
eaudemoi

Ah, how I wish I could love this one. The name, the story...so romantic and melancholy.

I get the delicate poignancy at first application, but within moments I can't get past a certain sharpness. These roses are on the verge of drying, wilting, sweetness is giving way to citric sharpness. Darkening red roses in a vase of still water. The citrus accord just doesn't translate to brightness to me.

On my skin, it just ends up being too sharp, as did Petite Cherie. It stays behind, stinging in my nostrils and leaves a bitter taste in the back of my throat. It's bittersweet...and almost ammonic.

But maybe that's what it is. The last evening of a rose's beauty. Romantic and melancholy it is, then. Just not the kind of beauty I was expecting.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A huge floral bouquet with quite a heavy dose of plain citral and linalol, so don't worry about someone cleaning the floor - it's you and your Goutal. On the base, a classic accord of patchouli, benzoin, oak moss, to create a really traditional, and honestly a bit boring, mossy-floral chypre scent. I can't not think of boredom because despite I like chypres, I like them to be deep, raw, intense, rich, that is how they are supposed to smell. This instead is more like a wannabe-chypre: the "surface" smell is that, more or less, but it smells plain, conventional, empty and synthetic. Shortly, not enough compelling or fascinating to me. It is not bad, but it's like one of those restaurants which work mainly for clerks and employees at lunch time offering quick, generic menus at cheap prices - you wouldn't really take your darling there for a special occasion, would you...

5,5-6/10

PropTart77
PropTart77

I was intrigued by the description of "boozy roses" that someone posted on here. When presented with the opportunity of purchasising a bottle of the EDT AND the EDP (in the lucious glass bag-shaped flacon), I had to take advantage! Between the two, I prefer the EDP as it has a slight edge to its longevity over the EDT. To me, this is a very rich scent that reminds me of pears poached in mulled wine surrounded by my favorite rose (Chrystler Imperial). I have started a collection of rose perfumes, and while I only bring this one out on occasion, I would have to say that it is my best "diva" perfume. It is impossible for me to feel less than glamourous in this scent.

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

Such a beautiful perfume! "Ce Soir Ou Jamais" is one of the best rose fragrances I have ever come across.
It makes me think of a beautiful white rose blooming gloriously in the sun; I can also detect a hint of citrus and pear.
Very elegant and feminine, a must have for rose lovers.

Englishrose77
Englishrose77

Ce Soir Ou Jamais is absolutely beautiful. I love rose fragrances, and this is one of the best I have found. It has a richness and depth to it, a warmth and intensity that is completely intoxicating. I LOVE it. I have most of the Annick Goutal perfumes, and I had a very hard time finding a bottle of this treasure. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is so beautiful it's now my one of my top five perfumes of all time. What a find. It's like romance in a bottle!

vongocap
vongocap

This rose is alive and fresh, she sits in this beautiful garden and..but wait! Someone sprayed some stuff against mosquitos in here!! Quel dommage!
...
Still a great rose scent, worth the deal

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

I understand that so many people love this, and I love it too! But the images I am feeling are very different! I don’t get lady-like or soap or tea-time linen at all. To me, this is a magical medieval rose in a secret garden full of snarly vines and tangly branches, hidden and glowing behind the wine-berries -- a mystical rose that is like a jewel that has sprung from the earth.

The boozy opening sets a surreal atmosphere, like the slow thick languid movements in a dream. Then the rose emerges in a clearing, sparkling and glistening like a pink ruby, and contrasted with the wine, it is rendered very fresh and bright. I find that the perfume shifts and hides and reveals the rose again and again, as if I see it gleaming behind the vines and branches as I walk towards it...

If you've ever seen the Unicorn Tapestries at the Cloisters in New York, you'd understand -- it's as if those tapestries have come to life and the elements are moving and have taken on the bright colors of shiny, newly-dyed, living thread.

Absolutely spell-binding, and one of my top three roses ever.

username101

Candied rose petals with very ripe pear, a hint of apple and sweet wine. It's so delicious but not in your face food kind of smell. Very coy and romantic. I just can't get enough.

FinerThings
FinerThings

One of the most beautiful rose fragrances imo. Heightens the Turkish rose and takes it to another level. Very elegant and feminine and full of depth. If you love quality rose fragrances this one is a gold standard.

CLevol
CLevol

We had perfect smelling Turkish roses in our garden.

The first 40 seconds there was a fresh pear coming by. She disappeared and the Turkish rose appeared. I smell the sweet rose from my fathers garden, Early summer, deep aroma, sweet yet green.

Every 5 minutes this fragrance is changing; from sweet to green-fresh. Great composed!!

lollsazz
lollsazz

At first I thought the sample I got somehow had gotten Petite Cherie in it instead of Ce Soir - by the notes this was not the smell I expected. I have a serum with Turkish rose oil. From the serum I know that the rose is very sweet, but it's still clearly rose-smelling. What I get from this is honey and overly ripe pear - my brain is able to categorize it as being rose only after I smell something that definitely doesn't contain rose. When I was in high school, we made esters in chemistry class. This smells like the ester that smelt pear... fragantica MUST have forgotten to list it as an ingredient! Although this fragrance is quite sweet, it's also quite fresh. After a little while, the smell gets a little animalic and a little bit salty. This saltiness kinda reminds me of...pee. I'm not a big fan of this fragrance - it's not quite what I prefer, but it's... interesting. Especially in that the rose smell projects further than the honey-pear-like smell. I can't actually smell the rose unless I'm a certain distance away from the source of the smell. Interesting.

What I like to do with this perfume is mixing it with Annick Goutal's Rose Splendide, which is a very green rose fragrance. The result is very natural, tea-party-in-a-rose-garden: fancy ladies drinking tea with honney, sunny day, the gardener is cutting roses. I would suggest trying to mix the two perfumes some time - I like the result and you might too.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Hmmm...I have a love affair with roses. But I do like my roses to be complex (sorry, Chloe by Chloe!). Jamais is feminine, old-fashioned romance bottled up. This is definitely roses picked from the church garden and dragged through the church incense then steeped in a little red wine or cognac. The rose in this is "pink" and more tea-rose like in smell, and takes on a jammy, sweet mystique as if infused and bathed in red wine and honey then sprinkled in musk to give it depth. It's funny as fragrantica only lists 4 notes, yet the official description hints at a vast number of other "secret ingredients" in the composition. What they are, who knows? As I smell mostly tea rose, musk, incense and a dash of one or two other ingredients. Sadly, like with some others of the Goutal line, lasting power is not fantastic, so reapplying can get tiresome.

Chicbellavintage

Beloved Rosaphiles I forgot to mention the spice ( nutmeg- cumin?) at the end dry down which is also sugared. Also- please note A.G fragrances are meant to be used quickly- not kept in the cellar to age like wine- this perfume in particular will decline if not used and enjoyed with in 1-3 years of production.

Longevity is fickle-some nights it's forever - others it's just an hour or two- I guess it's called tonight or never because it really is an evening POTION:)

Chicbellavintage

oh comment j'aime! Oh how I live this wonderful perfume!
This is a rose-Phil's dream!! Like all Annick Goutal perfumes it begins with an exploration of flowers:

Roses to be exact. But these are the vivid dream roses we can only inhale while asleep.
It's such a romantic and nostalgic rose with all of its red thorns and mint green leaves.

It's a spellbinding rose covered in confectioners sugar, antique lace, the dust of old gilded books and a a tea cup filled with with storm rain. There is also smoke.

Then comes the dry down- ah... Slowing it turns from rose to other floral with a dash of vintage leather. The greens peek out. Lemongrass stalks and lemon verbena, splashes of citrus wedges make my mouth water. Then comes the final movement- linens and fresh soap. The hibiscus and rosehips are more like a white bloming emperial tea that you drink from a glass tea cup rather than a bouquet.
Tiny hits of lavender subdue the Lucious Rose which ooze sexy
The first moment of savagely seduction and lust eventually fades into gentle romance and later into a formal greeting-

Love this so mush I would wore it everyday for about 1 year- I could not get enough.
I use the EDP and it is wonderful but nowhere near the the magnificence of the parfum.

Silage is perfect- just the right amount of attaction and attention.

This is more of a date night fragrance- romantic nostalgic and carnal with a lovely clean lady finish- all soapy and covered with suds after a wild time.

I might try the EDT- I don't like to layer this with anything- it's too perfect on its own.

GlobalGirlyGirl
GlobalGirlyGirl

"Chameleon" is the best word to describe this. christianne1 was spot on when she said, "I think the complexity is what makes it so hard for people to decide how they feel about it."

First, I adored the initial spray. It smelled like a beautiful rose in full bloom.

The amazing thing I love is that the beautiful rose is *always* in the background. What I hate is that something changes every time I sniff my wrist.

Example:

1st sniff = Rose + something nice
2nd = Rose + something I don't like
3rd = Rose + something nice
4th = Rose + something nice
5th = Rose + something I don't like

There is no rhyme or reason. It could smell nice twice in a row or something I don't like three times in a row then back to nice again.

The ability to do that is both amazing and off-putting to me. I have to love a perfume from beginning to end. It is not "the one" for me, but bravo Annick Goutal.

christianne1
christianne1

One of the most complex rose florals I have ever smelled or probably ever WILL smell. I think the complexity is what makes it so hard for people to decide how they feel about it. Because you are never quite sure what you are smelling. It is like a olfactory grab bag the entire time you are wearing it.

This is the last fragrance created by Annick Goutal before her death and it has been said it was 10 years in the making and contains over a 160 notes. And almost every one of them was kept a secret. This is a mysterious fragrance and if you enjoy solving puzzles you will enjoy playing "find those notes" with this.

What I get is a turkish rose mixed with sex. Sex in corsets and petticoats that is. I can't even explain how I arrive at it but every time I smell it I end up feeling the same way. There is something hidden in there that is pheromone inducing I believe. The name means "tonight or never" and that is kind of what I get from it. It is like a woman throwing out the big guns to seal the deal....in the 18th century.

This is the scent of a dirty good girl.

I have worn this off and on for years and still can't decide how I feel about it. I have a love/hate relationship with it at times. But that pretty much describes passion...a thin line between love and hate. Annick Goutal bottled that feeling and doused it with rose. If you are a good girl who dreams of locating your inner slut...spray a little of this on. I think you will find her.

username101

I find this to be a very intriguing perfume. Ce Soir Ou Jamais has contradicting characters. Coy and seductive, youthful and mature, fresh and deep, foreign and familiar..Interesting how I smell pear/apple ish note yet its not shown on the notes. Very interesting interpretation of rose.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

Oh. oh dear. I'm spraying a rose fragrance on myself again. And with these, I never know if it's going to be a train wreck ending in frenetic wrist scrubbing and negative exclamations or a series of OH??... Ooohhh?? and a squint-y inquisitive frown as I repetitively sniff at my skin.

Number two scenario, here. First minute and I was scared. After 5 minutes, the wrist sniffing begins.... and keeps going on.

It opened with the typical Turkish rose, soliflore and pretentious, too loud, too pink, too everything. But then... hibiscus? A watery floral note? I feel as if someone is watering these roses!! it's so watery.... not watered down. WATERY. Fresh, like a rose drink. And warm and round, thanks to the ambrette and amber. I almost smell a raw honey note. Anybody else gets that? It's sweet and slightly fermented smelling, like unpasteurized honey.

I wouldn't call this "an incredibly mysterious fragrance" (wow, Mrs Goutal is a little dramatic, isn't she?), but it sure is a delightful rosy scent, with an unexpected twist. It's almost edible in a way, but where I come from, we have the habit of eating rose petals and rose confections, and I'm aware that there is such a fantastic thing as hibiscus water to drink in other countries, so overall, an edible rose scent with more sensuality than the notes let you believe.

Reeeee-freshing!

nooory
nooory

The bottle is very attractive, but that's about it for me. I got a sample of this after trying in store so that i can give it a proper judgment. And my proper judgment is pretty much my initial one; no.
To my nose this was pleasant but like freshly cleaned powder room pleasant, a spa's powder room if you well. I wouldn't wanna walk around smelling like that. passing.

Lubylikes
Lubylikes

This is my absolute bargain of the century find. 100ml for AUD$20 inc. postage from eBay, slightly used with no lid, blind purchase.

And, it's lovely! I'm not usually one for florals,
I only need 2 sprays max. of this, but it is just so uncomplicated and honest. Rose from start to finish with a delicious wine & pear note in the beginning.

Like being served a wine poached pear, garnished with rose petals, on fine bone china and crushing the velvety petals between your fingers. The scent is intoxicating and you raise your fingers to your lips.

Later, like reclining among bruised petals on fine white cotton sheets with a friend not yet your lover but could be. Tonight, or never!

Wear it in spring, wear it to weddings, wear it with wild and romantic abandon.

Just need to find a lid!

Nolly
Nolly

Sparkling, lively and feminine. This is not your grandma's rose.
I was also introduced to it by way of a Sephora sample; it fast became my go-to evening scent for spring and summer.

Oh, and the object the silhouhetted Annick Goutal is holding on the sample card is a blotter clip. Perfumers use it to smell different notes

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

This is very much Petite Cherie's older sister. The rose that is a light, gentle background note against the pear, grass, and musk of Petite Cherie takes center stage here, and the pear note is darker. I can definitely detect what others are describing as a wine note. The rose carries all the way through, but it's not the light, fruity Rose Essentielle, the musky soliflore of Tea Rose, or the dark, ambery rose of Stella--it has a distinctly Annick Goutal touch to it. I know a lot of people have complained about the longevity of AG scents, but I get a solid 6-7 hours out of this one.

Belledandy
Belledandy

This was one of my first gateway perfumes, a chance freebie from Sephora. (Thank you nameless sales associate, wherever you are!)The promotional card it came on featured a lady's silouette holding some esoteric contraption, which to this day, I have no clue as to its purpose. I strongly suspect it was selected to mess with people.

Marketing aside, as others have noted, Ce Soir Ou Jamais is a lovely rose-centric scent. This is doubly true for the EDP version, which I bought. The rose is front and center, juicy, and in full bloom tucked next to a pear poached in sweet red wine. The EDT is lighter, the rose is fresher, and to my nose the perfume shifts much more noticiably through its various notes. The EDP is much more stable, which is pleasant, but I miss the shimmery dream-like quality of the EDT. Staying power on the EDP is longer, as might be expected, and longer still if sprayed on clothing or hair.

All in all, it's hard to find fault with this fragrance unless you simply don't like roses front and center. It doesn't demand much from the wearer, and is far from a simple soliflore. Tonight or never? It's all the same. This rose blooms when she sees fit.

Edit: I forgot to add the one and only thing I don't care for: the packaging. I do not have the lovely crystal bag bottle pictured. I have the standard Annick Goutal bottle. For some reason this scent comes with a gold lame bag wrapped around it. It is really quite odd and doesn't fit the feel of the perfume at all. Like a solid gold dancer at ballet recital. Annick Goutal is my favorite perfume house, and while I like the quaint and romantic ribbed bottles, I do wish they would do a little updating.

MyNoirBeehive
MyNoirBeehive

Sharp, true GREEN rose. Shrieking, biting, yeeesh.

gomt
gomt

It smells like sweet and strong black tea served with rose petals jam and some hibiscus. A warm fragrance, which doesn't develop much (at least on me). Delightful, but somewhat boring.

Great for autumn evenings by the fireplace, with a cup of tea and a good book. Or a person to snuggle with.

Lkrautter
Lkrautter

There is a distinct pearish/apple scent in this.It is difficult to tell where the apple(?)ends and rose begins sometimes.It is not that I don't like apple and rose together. Apples are memebers if the rose family so they blend very welk together. It is a bit too rich.It is a very deep rose. Not delicate but not abrasive. It is very warm and sweet. If you want a unique deep rose scent then perhaps you would like it. There is nothing sparkly or airy, it is wet and sticky.
Altogether, I do like it. It brings the image of sweet red lipstick kisses to my mind. Since I associate scents w colors, this is what I would wear with a burgundy dress or other deep colors. Very romantic.
However I don't like the opening, or some of the dry down, I like the last bits of it where the sweetness is more subdued and the wonderful muskyness comes out. It is a definitely a "skin scent".
It is a very true rose.

CatBlanc
CatBlanc

It is a lovely, velvety and rich rose scent.
From the bottle it almost smell like rose petals dipped in red wine, rich and grape-y.

It is distinctively different from the other rose scents I own. It is definitely not fruity, like that of D&G Rose the One or the sweet tarteness from Serge Lutens' Sa Majeste la Rose. I like that it doesn't have patchouli in it, so that it's not overly dark or complicated.

There is something very intriguing and elegant about this perfume. It is warm, pure and inviting. I think it is a great choice for romantic occasions, or wear lightly as an office scent.

delilahcat
delilahcat

This one of my favourite Annick Goutal fragrances. To me its not just a simple rose scent, it actually smells like the roses in my garden, kind of green like grass but not overpoweringly so. Its not too sweet like most rose scents, it smells nothing like rose turkish delight which i often think is the case. Once ive had it on for a while it becomes more balmy and earthy like rain in summer. Defiiately my favourite rose fragrance ever!

daisyM
daisyM

Is THIS the beautiful red rose from Goutal?! I'm so glad I got a sample from a fellow fragrantican. Very disapoinnting and unbalanced. The Molinard Rose is way better, it's everything CSOJ is trying to be, and so much cheaper.

adhucvivo
adhucvivo

This fragrance is amazing ..I reccommend the edp because sadly the edt doesn't stay on very long.

curlykitty8
curlykitty8

I have to agree with Starlight Angel! Ce Soir ou Jamais opens in such a sharp and unattractive burst that it is almost disgusting....like a synthetic essence of pear! After about fifteen minutes it begins to soften into a honeyed rose which is lovely and lasting but is it worth suffering through such a nasty start for a little bit of rose and honey? I think not.

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

I am a great fan of Annick Goutal fragrances, but Ce Soir Ou Jamais is one that I have a love/hate relationship with.

The fact is that I LOVE the drydown but I HATE the opening.

CSOJ opens with a very boisterous, exuberant fresh rose. For my tastes it's TOO strong, and while it captures the scent of garden roses very well, it's almost bitter.

It doesn't help that I get a burst of a very sour fruity note in the opening too. I prefer my rose sweet and delicate, and I don't find that in the opening of this scent.

However, as it dries down, the rose seems to sweeten, it becomes a lot less sharp and a lot more powdery. I still detect that sourness but it's not so prominent and a lot more pleasant.

It was basically the dry down that sold this scent to me, even though it's not the most long lasting, and doesn't offer much in terms of sillage.

However, overall, it's rose done well, and definitely one for lovers of fresh roses.

airubgirl
airubgirl

This opens with a very heady rose, large and voluptuous, at the peak of it's fragrance. As it dries down it softens into a powdery rose with the hibiscus making a brief and tangy note during the heart of this perfume, but that fades away all to quickly in my opinion. After the hibiscus leaves there is a bit of something sweet that mixes with the rose but nothing much to remark on with my chemistry, it becomes a very vintage scent on me. Though it is a pretty rose, it is to old fashioned for my taste.

lara0905
lara0905

Modern and old-fashioned infusion.

The opening is the modern part of the scent, lively rose aroma with pear and hibiscus. Unusual but pleasant opening with the impressions of freshly picked rose smell. This bright moments are runs away and the modern rose scent turns into a nostalgic, a bit bitter, musky- ambergis oriental rose attar scent. Truly turkish delight aroma with a pale lemon nuance.

I think it's easy to overdose, so maybe better if you use it just with light hand..

sablebombe
sablebombe

Mmmmmm..... have to agree with two previous reviews the top note does seem to include pear! And I also found just a scant whiff of liquorice on the top opening. The hibiscus hit my nose quite pungently and this is where I needed patience! Soonish after came the warmth of a tea rose - sublime, reminiscent of sitting in the garden on a warm summer afternoon and every so often getting a scent of the roses close by!

For me this is a day into evening perfume! But I can see people only using this for the evening!

I did notice that when I had thought it had gone for the evening and I was sitting around I would suddenly experience another whiff of rose - quite unusual....!!

This is a wrist sniffer for me - just to get the soothing scent of rose, breath in, close eyes, raise shoulders and dream of that garden!

Just because it is rose - don't think old ladies!

musicaficta
musicaficta

Ce Soir ou Jamais was the first Annick Goutal fragrance I fell for and it remains among my top five all-time favorite fragrances. To me, as the previous reviewer has pointed out, this fragrance contains pear in equal billing to rose. It's as if one stirred rose liquor into a teacup of pear nectar and inhaled deeply. When that vanishes, a slight trail of light musk lingers.

The EDP lasts considerably longer than many other AG fragrances, about 4-5 hours on me.

The Turkish rose is soft, but vibrant and youthful, and would appeal to incurable romantics at heart, regardless of age; (especially those like me, over 60, but not done yet, heh, heh...)

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

The first time I smelled it, I thought they confused the labels on the bottles and that it was Petite Cherie. Even the shop assistant agreed with me. The top notes of the two perfumes bear a striking similarity thanks to a common ingredient: Pear! It felt as if they share exactly the same notes, in different quantities. Cannot escape the thought that maybe Annick Goutal would like to give her final and most elaborate creation (CSOJ) a little hint of love from the perfume dedicated to her beloved daughter Camille (PC). But these are just the top notes...

Because, here, the combination pear-rose takes a more feminine twist, revealing a first class rose, freshly cut, and not the opulent grand dames like Serge Luten's or Frederic Malle's. It depends on how each of us likes their roses...

To tell you the truth, I would have expected a more aggressive rose just from the statement of the name! Maybe the EDP evokes this ultimatum, but I will stick to the EDT, as reviewers claim it is less intoxicating, and more wearable.

And rounding off, I'm quoting Elvis:
"It's now or never..." (I know- quite predictable and commonplace- but couldn't resist ;-)

icekat
icekat

(This review is for Eau de Perfume)

CE SOIR OU JAMAIS is a delicate tea rose blooming in the garden on a beautiful and calm summer evening. The tender heavenly scent fills the warm summer air. I walk out in the garden. The time stops as I am entirely captured by its timeless beauty.

The rose in CE SOIR OU JAMAIS is so tender and natural but it is not simplistic. This scent has certain level of complexity that makes it absolutely stunning. Masterfully done rose scent! I highly recommend it for rose lovers.

TillyWave
TillyWave

An almost strange rose scent. There is a bit going on here. Lots of rose, but it is very thick, with something going on underneath that suggests a potent ripeness. This is a bit musty and spicy all at the same time. And yes, there definetely is that strong wine red note as well. Very warm. This strikes me as rose but not as a floral for some reason. It is unique though. I like it but I don't know if I love it yet, a big challenging.

I do like this for winter because this is not a springy floral, it's rather heady and viscous.

I have the EDP, which lasts about 4 hours on me. I understand that the EDT is different, but I hate it when perfumes are here and gone in a hour.

AveParfum
AveParfum

This IMO is everything a true rose fragrance should be--no more, no less. It's the cream of the crop. This fragrance is the embodiment of a true, grand, passionate romance. If you are a lover of roses, you can't possibly go wrong with this choice. It's Scarlet O'Hara and Rhett Butler in Gone With the Wind!

I'd been feeling a bit flower-deprived for the last couple of days, and Annick Goutal CE SOIR OU JAMAIS turned out to be just the antidote I was waiting for, another "I totally promised you a rose garden, and here it is!" perfume along the lines of TEA ROSE. So closely aligned, in fact, that I ended up having to do a side-by-side comparison in order to be able to distinguish between the two.

Both are full-rose, complete with all the thorns and greens, perfumes. TEA ROSE is a touch greener and more potent than CE SOIR OU JAMAIS, but to my nose the quality is very similar. Both smell very authentic and completely rose-focused, whatever other notes may be thrown in as complements or to sustain the rose petals and leaves for what is in both cases the very long life of the perfume.

Which do I prefer? I suppose, if forced to select, I'd take the slightly less green CE SOIR OU JAMAIS, but to be honest, it's nearly a tie.

**********************************

And now for a mini-rant, and my first official, public complaint about THE GUIDE, so many of the reviews of which leave me wondering whether there was some sort of major mix up with the 1,800 sample vials covered by the authors. To my amazement, TS (LT's wife) describes CE SOIR as an "ETERNITY wannabe". Say what? Are we talking about Calvin Klein ETERNITY and Annick Goutal CE SOIR OU JAMAIS? Hello? Has TS ever smelled either of these two perfumes? Mon dieu. Vraiment.

Ha! I just read the review for ETERNITY, written by LT, who "wittily" observes that ETERNITY is a failed copy of JARDINS DE BAGATELLE, which, he claims, was never worth copying! What a riot! Why it's a veritable encyclopedia of misinformation! This is the book which Vogue UK said you should not visit a counter without?!

I had read somewhere that Ce Soir ou Jamais was one of the late Annick Goutal's favourite fragrances. I find all of her scents to be lovely creations, however if I were to choose my favourite rose from her collection, I'd also say Ce Soir ou Jamais.

Rose may be this fragrance's most dominant note, however the additional frangipani, jasmine and musk add extra colour and complexity to something that could be straight-up, pretty, pink roses.

Had I smelt this particular scent a few years ago, I may not have appreciated it. It was on my twentieth birthday that the allure of a owning a rose scent really grabbed my attention. For those that associate rose to that of an old lady, which I once did, needs to open their eyes and experience something as beautiful as Ce Soir ou Jamais.

The delicious rose note in this fragrance is almost dewy, being fresh and exotic in a very appealing sense. It is a tad 'antique inspired', however it does not seem so rich and ancient like it's big sister, Rose Absolue.

Ce Soir ou Jamais has a rather youthful impression, which I feel is brought about by subtle fruity notes, like pear, that tends to linger softly in the heart. This fragrance is a little bit like Quel Amour!, yet perhaps not as Spring-like and fresh.

I read a beautiful article on the Perfume-Smellin' Things blog, that portrayed Ce Soir ou Jamais as being in 3-D. I have to agree that this fragrance has the ability to bring a rose note to life.

I have only experienced this fragrance in the EDT concentration, and from that I would say that the lasting power is quite good and the sillage light yet detectable. As in regards to the EDP version, I have noticed that some feel it too wine-like, quite intense and boozy. For a delicate rose like I have described I'd probably lean more towards buying the EDT.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

This is a stunning rose soliflore. This smells exactly like pure red velvetly rose petal flesh from the garden. Similar to a real rose in the sunshine, as your skin warms the fragrance actually blooms on your wrist. Texturally the rose becomes slightly powdery with time but otherwise it is fairly linear.

The EDP has excellent staying power and moderate sillage. You will catch the scent of yourself every now and again and marvel at your good taste in perfume.

Similar in realism to PWS Tearose, Ce Soir Ou Jamais is a gently powerful rendition of the rose flower and would be an ideal alternative for rose-lovers who find Tearose too strong.

nyoka
nyoka

I received this in a swap from lovely cisco.It has taken me awhile to write the revuew because it truly is a mysterious scent.I love the dew kissed pink rose .Pink roses r my favorite.THis is truly like walking up a stone path to anold church,covered with ivy where a bright light shines out when u open the door.OUtside there r dozens of natural flower beds with huge pink roses,their little faces,dripping with dew.THe pink is almost neon with pale creamy pink centers.All arround there r hybiscus in different shades of pink and purple from powder pink and lilac to hot pink and bright purple.THe scents waif up towards the heavens,mingleing together ,making one scent instead of 2.The purity of the fragrance,makes it hard to describe.Rarely7,is there a fume that has such true scents of the flowers all the way through without all the other notes to confuse ones nose.It is a beautiful,sexy,calming scent,tha6t yes,u do have to reapply every couple of hrs.But,those hours in between r pure heaven.I reapply anyway,so that is no big deal.BUt,dear prople,u owe it to urself to at least sample this masterpiece,it may leave u speechless for awhile too.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Oh, this is a beautiful rose perfume! I have the edt, which is not very long lasting, but while it lasts, it has nice projection. Sadly, I have to respray it every couple of hours....
The Turkish rose is very different than Stella, or Chloe, or fresh roses. It resembles a bit the Bvlgari Rose Essentielle edp.
It is sweeter and humid, and actually I feel it lacks the "green" component. It's only the flower, not a single leaf or stem is part of this. Sweet, very juicy, with honey undertones. Indeed it reminds me of rose sorbet or rose confiture... ( a desert made from boiling rose petals in a sugar syrup). It is not a gourmand though.
Feminine, delicate, womanly, so romantic!
Maybe just a tad old fashioned, like a love affair that is profound and defying the modern fast times... it feels like it doesn't quite fit in... and surely not to be worn with running shoes, jeans and tees. Wonderful with red lipstick, a pastel colored dress and a lot of kisses all over!

guest_Vanillabean
guest_Vanillabean

Queen of the rose-scented perfumes. I would wear this in the evening. It's fresh enough not to be an old lady's perfume, but I would not call this scent delicate and care-free. It's lush and deep.

Manya
Manya

Everything has already been said in previous reviews (freshly crushed tea rose, romantic, etc) so I will just add this:

To me this smells like turkish rose petal syrup!
If 'Quel Amour' is velvety, this one is definitely silky smooth. Very elegant, calm and soothing.

rithacha
rithacha

I've always been enchanted by the house Annick Goutal. Her creations strike a whimsy in me that cannot be replicated by any other house. There are some Serious fragrances by Annick Goutal, but the vast majority are infused by this singular note of ephemeral JOY.

Ce Soir Ou Jamais is an excellent example of a perfume that is both mature and whimsical. It is very difficult to describe. The rose is intense, but slightly fruity and gummy, as if in a currant accord. It smells most similar to a combination between Annick Goutal's Quel Amour! and Tea Rose. The sillage is incredible, but in a rounded, controlled, and serene manner. The amber is not noticeable until hours into the drydown, but Ce Soir Ou Jamais is STRONGLY fixated, much more so than more of Goutal's creations. Thus I can firmly vouch for the lasting power and sillage.

Ce Soir Ou Jamais smells NICHE, lady-like, and expensive. But there's a lightheartedness to if that might not appeal to a perfume snob who takes herself too seriously.

mocha43
mocha43

I bought a sample of it and when I first applied it, it absolutely reeked! After 20 minutes it settled down to a pleasant but not wonderful, rose scent. The bottle is gorgeous but I won't be buying it.

augustana_evangeline
augustana_evangeline

smells very green. smells like Tea Rose... but warmer, and higher quality.

Not for me - I don't like "true (green) rose" scents.

guest_Natasa
guest_Natasa

This perfume was inspired by church gardens and you can smell it - lots of roses and bacteria loaded holly water - the water on a sponge for you to make a cros when you enter a church.
The roses are sweet but not sickly sweet but the combination with the sourness and even bitterness of the "holly water" is unbearable combinatin for me - it made me iritated and feeling sick.
I did buy a whole botle without a single sniff and I was deeply disappointed.

This perfume as not for me but on someone else it can be charming, romantic etc.

Dark Curls

ok so i just did a "rose test" between This one, Bvlgari Rose Essentielle, YSL Parisienne, and Floris China Rose. I am light headed and feel like I am seeing roses haha but I will say that they all smell DIFFERENT from one another, and The Annick Goutal is more of a pure, and fresh rose scent. YAY

Dark Curls

This is a very pretty scent. got my bottle today and had never smelled it before. I smell A LOT of rose but it is fresh and nice. It seems like "rosy" perfumes are really adding up lol.

Spring25
Spring25

This Annick Goutal fragrance lasted about two to three hours on me - which is a bit longer than many other AG perfumes I've tried. It is mostly a very sweet and succulant true rosy scent - very enjoyable on a hot Summer day.

mahanta
mahanta

A beautiful, bright summer scent. Every time I smell it I have to hide a smile because of my scent associations - an elephant has walked through the rose garden;)to me it really smells like crushed roses - greenish, juicy, rich rose fragrance. The staying power is awesome (for Goutal) - at least 5 hours (and I'm reviewing EDT)!

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

I too love this one and have the staying problem. An owner of a perfume shop told me to put a base oil on first or wear it on cotton wool tucked into your clothes.

honeypoppyseed
honeypoppyseed

It's a really lush, juicy fragrance. I think that's because of the hibiscus. I probably wouldn't have bought this one for myself, it's more one of those you get as a gift. It smells nice, no need to exchange, plus the bottle is a nice break up in your collection.

perfumeaddict
perfumeaddict

I own the Baccarat "purse" bottle with Eau de Parfum and it is even more beautiful in person than the pictures. I really wish I loved the fragrance as much as the bottle!

marinadinatata
marinadinatata

for my skin this perfume, as nearly all the Annick Goutal fragrances,,, is Jamais... i love the bottles, i love the names,, but i am afraid they dont llove me,,,, the only one i can put on is eau de Camille and Mandragore,,, but they dont stay more than half hour!!!!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Annick Goutal Ce Soir Ou Jamais fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Annick Goutal Ce Soir Ou Jamais, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.