Designers » A » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Eau du Sud Annick Goutal for women and men

Eau du Sud Annick Goutal for women and men
dislike

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Eau du Sud was launched in 1996. The nose behind this fragrance is Annick Goutal. Top notes are mandarin orange, basil, grapefruit and bergamot; middle notes are mint, lime, lemon verbena and jasmine; base notes are vetiver, patchouli and oakmoss.

Mandarin Orange Basil Grapefruit Bergamot

Cristalle

Eau du Sud Fragrance Reviews

Jassar
Jassar

Great scent for summer for men or women. I did not purchase full bottle though due to major longevity issues. 2 hours and then nothing.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I often talk about fragrances that burn my nose too much, but the first time I tried it, this brew was the real deal...nasal rape in the first degree, premeditated and remorseless. Yet now, coming back to it, I'm morbidly intrigued. I can find lavender and lemon, with the bitter wetness of the pure green notes you find in Sisley Eau de Campagne or Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche. But it was actually not the very top notes (first minute) that felt like a violation of my soul, rather the period after that, once the green foliage had already faded away but the stern, coldhearted citrus of Blenheim Bouquet and its ilk remained. This time it's not burning as much as I remember from before, and I'm impressed with the unusual lack of sweetness. I think my earlier trauma was because I was smelling it last in a long line of newly arrived sample vials, and something earlier (their vile Vetiver!) had set me off, because this time it seems like a manageable dry herbal fragrance. Buyer beware!

courant
courant

Short and sweet. Eau du Sud, to me, is very similar to Eau Savage, which I have always loved on my husband. Unlike me, he doesn't keep an arsenal of fragrances and so I don't step on his toes and wear one of 'his' signatures. Now I can. Other reviewers note a similarity to Cristalle in Eau du Sud. Cristalle delivers a more 'juicy fruit' honeysuckle intensity but I do understand the reference.
Recommended for hot summer days along with Eau de Rochas, Prada Infusion D'Oranger, Eau Orlane (bit too strong) and Cristalle.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Annick Goutal perfumes do not as a rule last very long on my skin. This is an exception, as it lasted about 4 hours, and I enjoyed it from start to finish. However, 4 hours was plenty. It smelled like a minty salad bar, heavy on the celery and lemon. It was intriguing and I admire it, and will happily use my sample through summer, but would not buy a FB as it is not a love affair.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Eau du sud is one of the weakest Goutals in terms of sillage and longevity, in the same group as Eau d'hadrien. If that's what you're looking for, a citrus with a twist, just sample both and choose the one you like the most. They are very different but are very connected and you can see Goutal's touch in both.

In this case I can't say I feel the usual love I otherwise have for the line. It's a great scent no doubt, very distinctive and chic... but here the oakmoss is too intensive for me and it leans towards elegant and somehow old school which I find difficult to combine with my style. My dad smells great when he steals it from me!!

I am a bit disappointed with the lasting power but it's a respectable scent nonetheless. I detect some boozy drink in the beginning with sugar, lime and herbs... not far from a mojito without the mint... but it fails to stay interesting throughout... sample yourselves, it seems to gather a lot of love from other reviewers so it's worth giving a try! Plus the gorgeous old bottles are now at great discount price so don't miss the chance!

mhdrazali21
mhdrazali21

Received mine today. Upon trying this out, first impression is: expensive, classy, delicious blast of lemon and herbal all of which are good things. Silage is super. Only problem is I'm mostly a jean and T-Shirt guy and as such this stays as for formal purposes only.

Labaloo
Labaloo

There are definitely some similarities to both 'Mandragore' and 'Sables' here- it has a stunning citric/herbal opening and heart with a signature touch of anise (not listed), yet the base has an amber-like warmth not present in 'Mandragore' (hint of immortelle, anyone?). There is nothing else on the market quite like this, and it is one of the finest of the Goutals- I am wearing it on a calm, summer day- and enjoying every moment.

Sillage: ~3'/1m
Longevity: ~14h on an 80F/27C day (top and upper heart become trace at 7-8 hours; lower heart and base remain until finally trace at 13-14 hours)

sagarjanvekar
sagarjanvekar

Eau de Sud is all about the key lime, bursting with tart, chartreuse juice. Green, green, and more green. While other lime scents are limpid, thin, or focused on woody basenotes, Eau de Sud packs a punch and stays true to its initial character for hours; I can honestly say that no other lime scent can hold a citronella candle to this glorious and seldom-discussed creation.
overall 9/10

williamvargas
williamvargas

very nice, definitely a man could pull this one off. I like the overall herbal aroma, smells like a wonderful soapy herbal scent some with citrus to it and some fruit.. reminds me of something I cannot quite put my finger on it but I enjoy this, I have eau de hadrien and I like that one for a citrus based fragrance..this is something very different. nice stuff. to me this is masculine but I could see a woman wearing this, I read on a web page that ann Margaret wears this one. that is good enough for me.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

This perfume is a little bit of heaven in a bottle and I am madly in love with its fragrance.
When I wear this gorgeous little gem, I want to sing and dance with joy! It makes me feel happy, I feel beautiful and desirable.
Oh Annick Goutal, how I adore your divine fragrances, I am obsessed by you now, I can't get enough of you, I want all your little bottles of joy!
This is fresh, sweet, lemonade with balm and herbs and sugar and spice, it's too gorgeous to describe but I LOVE it!!!
Silage; hugs the skin
Longevity; lasts all day long on me with just one spritz in the morning.
Wonderfulness; I'm speechless with joy!

drakecito
drakecito

Another winner from A.Goutal.
Smells incredible natural with lemon and herbs.
Last around 5-7h. and sillage is very good.
To me is better than Hadrien.
One of the best citrus / summery scents that I've been tried.

Sillage: 7/10

tymanski
tymanski

i'm totally with ericrico on this masterpiece. nothing to add to his impressive ode to du sud....
i originally bought it as a gift years ago and couldn't get it out of my head. so "cologne-y" yet so very complex & chypre-like. this has since become my go-to for summer and i'm wearing it for the first time in months and it's like a visit from a good friend. glorious!

ericrico
ericrico

Annick Goutal, as a house, has found a way to 'recreate' most typically categorical fragrances and deliver them to both men and women in a, somehow, new and stimulating way. Rarely does a Goutal creation lean heavily into the masculine or feminine realm - and, most importantly, there is always something remarkably beautiful in the composition that makes it unique and original from all interpretations of similar fragrances that have come before...and after. Mrs. Goutal was an olfactory artist who found the magical ability (like all true geniuses) to create a "canvas of notes" that we can relate to, but blend them and create a tonality and sentiment that evokes something very different from what expectations were set. Eau du Sud is a perfect example of this artist's work...and truly brilliant!!

From the Annick Goutal site: "Eau du Sud awakens memories of Annick's travels in Provence and Tuscany. This fragrance conjures up carefree summers, the caressing warmth of the sun, and long evenings when daylight seems to last forever.

A fragrance that makes you want to bite into a delectably juicy fruit and quench your thirst with cool water on a fresh sunny day under the shade of Roman arches.

Olfactory family : Citrus, Chypre, Green (Bergamot, Persian lime, grapefruit, mandarine, verbena, peppermint, basil, hint of jasmine and vetiver, patchouli, oakmoss)"

I have to say that what comes forth is deep yet fragrant, citric as well as herbal and with depth and richness that is rarely found in this realm. I have tried Eau d'Hadrien many times and as much as I want to compare this...I cannot. Each is unto itself. I recently found and added Hadrien Absolu to my collection, as it too, reflected an incredible richness that is beguiling in a citrus scent - yet incredibly wearable and, without hesitation...unisex. My appreciation for Goutal's work (and the house since she has passed - kudos to Camille and the Goutal folks for keeping her brilliance alive) is unrelenting. She is, in my mind, one of the finest non-traditional, artistically-mindful and sentimental perfumers whose work I am fascinated by, in every olfactory canvas she has shared with us...simply and truly, magnificent pieces. I liken her work to the Expressionist Art movement of the early 1900's - there is a timeless feel to everything she has created...and that is because it comes from "within". She created bottles that were from her life's olfactory memories. I am, forever, thankful. I do not rate any of her bottles - as I say in virtually all of my reviews of the house of Annick Goutal's work, one cannot quantify her artistic presentation with a fractional value. And, the torch has been passed to Camille - who has carried on the seminal work her late mother created wonderfully.

Eau du Sud is, simply, gorgeous and breathtaking. The previous reviewers whom I admire the perspective of are JohnGreenInk, missk, sweetfumebopper, sablebombe Gabi310 & Fabio Conde. These reviews span over 3 years apart...and yet people still find the revelatory beauty in this scent, as do I. I have traveled to Provence and Tuscany and feel a distinct connection to both places in this bottle - memories of a lifetime are in this composition that I can relate to.

The listed notes, as per the Goutal website, perhaps with a lighter amount of oakmoss in current formulation due to IFRA regulation, but there is a nice, warm moss and undertone here that all of us get, something slightly smoky, herbaceous and penetrating - the wonderful patchouli...creating a gorgeous base from which the quenching, fresh-squeezed citrus and bouquet of fresh-cut herbs radiate their natural sparkling and fragrant beauty. Bergamot, Verbena/Lemon Verbena, Grapefruit, Persian lime, Mandarin, Basil, Mint, a light touch of penetrating and fresh-blooming jasmine still on the vine...together, compose the melange of radiating and extremely natural aromatics on the top and in the heart. The aforementioned oakmoss offers its depth (in older formulation) and the vetiver, although clean, is an expression of light, fragrant woodiness that further sharpens the composition in the base (keeping it from getting too dark during the dry down).

This is harmonious and beautiful - equally on a man or woman. The only requirement, like all Goutal's bottlings, is that one wear this with an understanding and sense of taste & refinement...as it is a gorgeous composition. It can be worn casually (please do not confuse my statement), but intelligence and having knowledge of Goutal's vision is a requirement to fully appreciate it.

Undeniably, stunning and fantastic...an honest & beautiful expression from Annick Goutal that, like so many of her other creations, is transcendent. Ahhhh, the wonder and amazement only deepens...as does my undying admiration for her expressionistic works of art. Eau du Sud is a divine creation.

Merci, Annick. Merci! Reposer en paix...for we are forever grateful that you shared your beautiful palate and vision with us.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Reconciling two families (chypre-citrus) in a very distinct smell perfume, with this balance perfectly and made me love Eau du Sud
The citrus blend, and say by the way, very natural, grapefruit and verbena, with the lime already involved are invigorating and delicious. The basil and mint, gives a mild spiced green, going to the heart light floral touches.
The base can be chypre and even with this invigorating air, the moss gives this rhythm more closed, formal and complements patchouli, is sublime.

Gabi310
Gabi310

I 've found my new chypre-love at last! It's dark and sensual in its heart and can be a shock to those who stumble upon the uncharted territory of chypres. IMAHO it's timeless beauty and elegance is more suitable for mature women with personality than for carefree girls. (The opening and the end reminds me of my once beloved but now almost unrecognizable Diorella. ) Although it starts with a generous blast of citrusy notes, the healthy dose of basil, patchouli and jasmin makes it perfect for colder weather and far from being too masculine. Annick Goutal's creation is unique without trying too hard to be complex. It's simply gorgeous and I'm extremely happy that I'm able to appreciate it, regardless of what others may say about it. Fantastic longevity: 1 spritz lasts 10+ hours on my skin.

I have always been intrigued by the Annick Goutal offerings which are sold in both the standard feminine bottle and the rectangular masculine bottle. For a while I thought that they were two different formulas, but someone disabused me of that false belief. EAU DU SUD is one of them, and systemeD graciously sent me a sample making it possible for me to try this fragrance out after having wondered about it for quite some time...

To my nose this is a fairly sharp green citrus fragrance. I'd say that it's about midway between Parfums de Nicolai COLOGNE CEDRAT and Bond no 9 CENTRAL PARK. There is not nearly so much greenishness in this composition as in the latter, but it has a slight spiciness which makes it feel more masculine than feminine--at least in the drydown.

The quality seems very high and I'd put this in the EAU D'HADRIEN neighborhood, not only because it's primarily a citrus scent, but also because it, too, seems like a fairly simple creation--at least when compared to the more complex feminine perfumes of this house.

We've reached the end of summer here in Boston--a turning point marked by my donning of socks today for the first time in months--so EAU DU SUD is not something that I'm in any hurry to acquire, but I'm sure that come May I'll be considering this bright and cheerful citrus cologne once again.

oona noir
oona noir

Reminds me of Diorella and Bandit, neither of which are winners on my skin. Where is the leather in the notes for this fragrance? The leather is prominent on my skin. Herbal and leathery with a touch of citrus is how I'd describe this. I will try again in different weather, just to make sure, but right now this is a no go for me.

yonati
yonati

On me this is truly a citrus aromatic. I love how the tipsy citruses are subdued by the more sober green herbs, which in turn ease into unveiling a surprisingly light vanilla sweetness amid the clean burning smoke of sandlewood. It's a quiet scent but not dull or lacking personality, which I really admire. I still wish it would last a little longer. In the meantime, I will reapply and enjoy.

Voile
Voile

Johngrink, the underbelly is a pepper vodka martini with a twist of key lime in a dark, moldering bar in alphabet city in January. Juice me up baby! Actually I think of British ginger biscuits with lemon filling. There is ginger for sure. Really has a hint of Eau Sauvage.

sablebombe
sablebombe

Today was very spring like - for early January - and I wanted something uplifting and refreshing! Something to wake up my senses! I reached for Eau de sud and it was wonderful - the citric blast with the basil and the mint is ohhh so energising! I felt alive and awake and almost spring like! It pushed away the dark days of winter and made me think of the seasons to come!

Previously I was not a fan but I had bought a bottle blind and thought I would wait for better weather before passing it on! I am so glad I did. No...... I didn't get any masculinity with this at all and as it dried down it became less sharp and turned more rounded and soft. A few hours later and there is still a soft tang of citrus the lemon verbena shines and an, almost, powdery iris is sitting behind it all.

I was pondering what would be a great interview fragrance and I think I have found it - this will uplift a stale interview room and invigorate those around you!

5 hours later and it is still going strong! Bravo Annick another winner!

mylancome
mylancome

The tester in the mall was completely dry by frequent testing by various customer. The only empty bottle in Annick Goutal counter. Imagine how popular it is. To me, smell from the bottle, very close with Sisley Eau Du Soir. It is a unisex perfume, for strong women, or those who didn't like fruity or floral type. No wonder Nicole Kidman use this too.

cryptic
cryptic

Eau du Sud has "potential disaster" written all over it. With the combination of grapefruit and mint, I was afraid it might end up being a mixture of sweat and toothpaste, or Eau du Dirty Bathroom, but I should have known better. Annick Goutal had the genius to make difficult ingredients sing, and Eau du Sud is no exception.

I agree that this probably works better on men, but at the same time Eau du Sud would be great on a preppy tomboy in tailored clothes. It doesn't really suit me, but I wear it all the same: in hot weather for the bracing citrus tang, and in cooler weather for a reminder of Summer that comes from the basil and mint. As a pick-me-up on a sweltering day Eau du Sud is unbeatable.

Annick Goutal frags tend to be fragile, so store carefully to avoid spoilage of expensive juice.

johngreenink
johngreenink

Just got my bottle of Eau du Sud, and I'm very intrigued by the scent. It's a moody and somewhat serious perfume. The opening citrus, which is acidic like lime and grapefruit, lasts quite a while. The base notes appear within about half an hour; the sandalwood and pepper are noticeable.

The perfume seems to operate on two levels - on the top, you can feel the aromatics, but when you inhale very deeply, there is a much darker and mysterious 'underbelly' which defies classification.

It's interesting that there are no flowers here at all, not a single one! I think that makes Eau du Sud a more masculine scent - I'm not sure if this would smell as nice for a woman.

Beautifully subtle and light, but lingering in a slightly dangerous way.

Update 01/16/2012:
I'd like to add a few words... I've been wearing Eau du Sud for some months now, and it's really grown on me a great deal. I think the complex woody-green quality to it takes some time to fully appreciate. It's very rich in its depth, and very mysterious in that it doesn't really reflect one mood or one state of being. It also has a very warming gourmand quality to it (I swear that there is a faint trace of oregano, or a bouquet garni) which adds comfort, or maybe recognizability. I can take off a shirt on a day that I'd been wearing Eau du Sud and the scent is still there, faintly, wrapping up the sensations of being home after a long day.

AkimiOneko
AkimiOneko

Smells absolutely gorgeous in the bottle, on me it smelled like I had stolen a (high quality) cologne from my man. This is from a girl who wears 'Je Suis un Homme' on occasion. It may work for some women, but I think it is a man's scent, though a good one. It may fit a tomboy pretty well. A bit like my man's favourite Crabtree and Evelyn 'West Indian Lime', but more aromatic and less spice/vetiver. I kind of get the salt comparison. I really hope he likes this as it will be one of his birthday presents in November. Fortunately I bought the man style bottle :)

edit: Good news, he *loves* it :) It smells so amazing on him, smooth and limey with what smells a bit like cypress but lighter, maybe this is the basil/mint combination? There is a 'deepness' within it as johngreenink says, a very interesting scent indeed. I've never seen my boyfriend so excited over a scent before. Definitely a keeper.

annamae
annamae

This scent is wonderful and one of my favorites. I get the most compliments (both women & men) when I wear this. It is citrusy/soapy to me when on the skin, and dries down rather nicely. I don't find it masculine - just crisp and fresh. Perfect for a hot day.

huiyt
huiyt

(Unfortunately, I tested this one in a department store, with 84 SA around me...) When sprayed, it smelled intensely like lemon disinfectant. But then it evolved into a delicious scent, I kept smelling my arm all afternoon! I have to try it again to try to distinguish the notes, but it smelled very fresh.

Adrien02
Adrien02

Upon opening I get a blast of lemondrop candy, like a Lifesaver candy. A sugary lemon sweet, or should I say strong black tea leaves with lemon verbena? No basil for me nor grapefruit. The sandalwood almost gives it a cedarwood drydown. Very much like Fougere by Jovoy Paris in a nice herbal-y way.To my nose not a bad opening.
Silliage: medium, approx 3 hrs to 6 hrs for me,until fade.

rednose
rednose

I too think this is more of a masculine scent. And like SweetnSpicy noted, its opening is horrible, but the dry down is alright, which redeems the fragrance a point or two. Sillage? Weak.

Eau du Sud opens with such thick lemon that it almost seems syrupy. As it dries down, I detect the sandalwood, basil, and mint; an exquisite combination, easily reminding me of open air markets in Provence. The herbacious drydown is so gorgeous. I've smelled many Annick Goutals, and Eau du Sud is one of my favorites from this house along with Petite Cherie and Ce Soir ou Jamais. I find that projection and longevity are better than that of many of her other fragrances.

TillyWave
TillyWave

Eau du Sud. I broke the cardinal rule and bought unsniffed. I was prepared for sweat, for BO, for the worst, as I had read so many interesting but conflicting things about it. And what did I find? Love, love, love!

The first time I wore it actually was after my last shower before a long (5 day) camping trip. I figured that it wouldn't be too strong in the car, and if some sort of sweaty note emerged, I figured it would go with my overall camping toilette:)

So the scent: a less intense but longer lasting citrus, with basil and very fresh mint, bitter-edged mint. In a slightly powdery, slightly soapy backdrop. It gets sweeter as it goes into the drydown, which I haven't figured out yet, but the notes weave in and out for awhile.

I guess this is unisex but it is hardly masculine. It just defies categorization because it would wear beautifully on anyone who appreciates a fresh and unique scent like this. This is often compared to Eau d'Hadrien but personally I don't find them much in common, besides being grouped in the same general category.

Love.

Unlike other reviewers here on this page, I didn't get much in the way of citrus in Eau de Sud, despite it being a citrus aromatic.

I find Eau de Sud perhaps more herbaceous and soapy. Almost peppery, especially in the opening.

I like the fresh characteristic of this fragrance, however I find it a little too sharp at times. I'm not really a citrusy or soapy person, so this fragrance isn't really my cup of tea. But for the sake of it being a fragrance from my most loved perfume house, I'd say it is one of the best.

It's lightly feminine on the skin which is something I absolutely adore. For that fact alone, I agree that Eau de Sud would make a lovely choice for those particularly humid days.

Robin on her blog, Now Smell This, mentioned an interesting smokiness, being quite distinctive, which emerged quite prominently in the drydown. Although I had not noticed this initially, once reading her statements and returning to this fragrance, I must agree. The smokiness disrupts the soapy sharpness, which ultimately smoothed out the scent considerably.

I find some similarities between this fragrance and Chanel's Cristalle, although they are not complete replicates.

The lasting power of Eau de Sud, in the eau de toilette concentration is pretty weak unfortunately. This is also one of Annick Goutal's lighter fragrances that don't depend upon the wonderful sillage to create a beautiful aura. Eau de Sud is a fragrance for those that enjoy their soft, clean and crisp scents.

levissima
levissima

миленький, но не стойкий и какой-то обыкновенный... не стоит деньги тратить...

mocha43
mocha43

This goes on like Diorella, with a sharp,herbal, grassy scent. I smell a lot of mint and basil here. When it dries down it mellows somewhat. I cannot detect any vanilla in it. I got it as a sample and it just does not suit me. As I said, it smells a lot like Diorella to me.

hollycat
hollycat

Reminds me of Bandit by Robert Piquet. I guess its the sharpness of the scent, it also has a bit of a soapyness to it like a mans after shave. I get a lot of basil in this. Its very dry and herbal like. this is a no-go for me.

andrew85
andrew85

i really like this joy, but to me it smells almost exactly like Eau Dynamisante by Clarins, that is a little sad.. but is a good perfume, not to original, but good.....

pumpkinqueen
pumpkinqueen

The perfect, fresh spring scent. At first you smell a burst of citrus.. then it fades down to a warm yet grassy scent that is really unique and comforting. Its peppery in the best way..not too overpowering. It lasts all day which is a bonus!

sweetfumebopper
sweetfumebopper

My favourite thing about this scent is how much it suits the summer. It has great summery notes which create a fresh and clean seasonal scent. Eau de Sud creates an immediate warm citrus scent with its strong lime, grapefruit, mandarin orange, and bergamot. Yet creating lighter herbal scents with its peppermint, and lemon verbena. This fragrance holds its citrus scent throughout its and dry down, while subtly letting other notes gracefully appear through. The notes which create a light herby smell are basil and peppermint, which are slight yet are perfect in making that summery scent.

This is one of my favourite summer scents and I love the herby and peppery notes which appear through the lasting citrus scent. I always wear it in the summer, as it makes me feel fresh, and cool when I get hot and clammy in the summer. A great summers fragrance for every year.

Fresh and uplifting. This one is lovely, very bright and sparkling without resorting to aldehydes. (though I also like aldehydes in the right blend.) Still, it's blended well-enough and layered enough to not smell like a throw-away seasonal fragrance aimed at little girls. It's fresh without being innocent, bright without being bubblegum and has enough serious base notes to stabilize the happy top and keep it from smelling like something you buy in a jeans-shop.

jeca
jeca

I like it. Sharp and citrusy, masculine ;o)

2007

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal 3.98 out of 5 based on 263 ratings and 39 user reviews

Eau Du Sud Mini by Annick Goutal, .5 oz Mini EDT Spray with Evening Bag for Women
EAU DU SUD for MEN by Annick Goutal EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ TESTER
Annick Goutal 'Eau du Sud' Eau de Toilette Spray For Men
Eau De Toilette
Annick Goutal 'Eau du Sud' Eau de Toilette Spray
Annick Goutal 'Eau du Sud' Eau de Toilette Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Annick Goutal Eau du Sud fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Annick Goutal Eau du Sud, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.