Designers » A » Oriental « Groups

Encens Flamboyant Annick Goutal for women and men

Encens Flamboyant Annick Goutal for women and men
dislike

smoky
Encens Flamboyant Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Encens Flamboyant Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Encens Flamboyant Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Encens Flamboyant Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Encens Flamboyant Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Encens Flamboyant Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. Encens Flamboyant was launched in 2007. Encens Flamboyant was created by Isabelle Doyen and Camille Goutal. Top notes are incense, pink pepper, pepper and red berries; middle notes are nutmeg, incense, cardamom and sage; base notes are balsam fir, incense and mastic or lentisque.

Incense Pink Pepper Pepper Red Berries

Nutmeg Incense Cardamom Sage

Balsam Fir Incense Mastic or Lentisque

Encens Flamboyant Fragrance Reviews

black_orchid
black_orchid

I like it so much but i think this is one of the light incense that you can wear easly. It opens with citrus and aromatic vibe and something is smells like dry herbals. Then it turns smoky-woody incense that you can calming with this effect. But everything is on a light way.

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

I love this. I smell pine and frankincense. I smell a tiny bit of Sunlight dish soap. Very minuscule amount. It's not heavy and cloudy like some frankincense fragrances. This to me is wearable all year round. In hot or cold weather. My review it based on the original pre-reformulation version from 2007.

genericjanedoe
genericjanedoe

I absolutely ADORE this fragrance. It is now one of two signature smells I use (the other being Fragonard by Fragonard) and I have used it faithfully for a number of years. It totally eclipsed Chanel No 5 which had been the scent equivalent of my first true love, and which I received as a gift from my first true love at 18.

As well as the traditional, I've always had a nose for the unusual scent - and this totally fits the bill. With burning incense present in every hypnotic layer, its like sitting in the front pew of an ancient old church watching the catholic priests swing the golden incense burner in graceful arcs around the alter. Or what I imagine it must be like trapped on the edges of a pine forest fire. It is warm, dry, woody and resinous. It is my winter go-to perfume, probably more masculine than the traditional feminine scents I like and somehow strangely comforting.

Unlike other reviewers, I get a lot of staying power from this at skin level - its one of those scents that permeates fabric, and somebody sitting close or giving you a hug will definitely get a noseful. That to me defines a classic signature scent - when you can pick up an item of clothing, smell it and get transported to a memory of the last person who wore it.

I won't lie - for the uninitiated, the first spritz of this will leave you reeling. Even if you do love incense - the power of its almost exclusive top note made my nose buzz the first time I tested it. Sit next to a stranger when you spritz it and they will look at you as if you'd just taken a piece of still-warm charcoal out of your bag and rubbed it over your wrists and neck! But oh boy, the magical drydown is worth the wait.

One tip for those who find the incense a little overwhelming - try layering it with Penhaligon's Orange Blossom; the combination lifts the sombre smoke with its lovely spicy sweet notes, providing a very sophisticated skin scent not dissimilar to Guerlain's Shalimar.

micp
micp

I REALLY like this, but I agree with much of the criticism: longevity and silage are not what they could be, and it suggests the lingering after-effects of incense, rather than freshly burning incense, despite its smokey attributes. Because of this, I've been layering it with some Mysore Sandalwood oil which, to my nose, really transforms it and makes it multi-dimensional. If you have some, give it a try.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

This is a spicy mysterious seductive and beautiful aroma of pure incense. This is the only fragrance I've come across with incense in all three layer notes top middle and base. If you don't like incense get out of here. You'd think with that much incense you would get too much smoke out of this but it doesn't behave that way. This is like an invisible and ghost like incense filling your nose and allowing other facets of the fragrance to emerge. There is a medicinal aspect too, balsamic and Oriental with resins, myrrhs, benzoins, frankincense and olibanum. Smells like any typical incense shop. There is also red berries, nutmeg ginger and a lot of wood in the form of fir trees. It smells like a forest fire in a beautiful way. Burnt wood. This is unisex because it's not flowery at all nor fruity it's pure incense and woods. It smells serious and ancient like a Buddhist monk in a sagha in the Himalayas. I feel very religious wearing it. Where shall I wear this? I know, to yoga class LOL

MaraDraffnon
MaraDraffnon

This is actually really nice. I don't know why I neglected my sample for so long, but I'm glad I tried it again !

It's a really fresh and vegetal incense : the pine and fruits are prominent on me. Doesn't project much, but I feel like it might be awesome for a summer night, when you want something quite fresh but soothing.

aeriol.chapito
aeriol.chapito

A note about the name of this fragrance: in common french, "flamboyant" means "blazing" or "flaming", instead of "exuberant". It stems from the word "flambeau" which means torch.
I suppose the idea was to translate the smoky, burning aspect of the incense, rather than any eccentricity (It's also a type of Gothic architecture, but I don't know if that really was the inspiration behind this fragrance...)
Anyway, just putting this out there to avoid confusions!

SchopenhauersNose
SchopenhauersNose

This is one of the three fragrances that the house of Annick Goutal released in the Les Orientialistes collection, the other two being Ambre Fetiche and Myrrhe Ardente. The current nose behind most of the fragrances that come out of Annick Goutal is no longer Annick herself (she died many years ago), but rather her daughter Camille Goutal. In this case, she worked with Isabelle Doyen to create all three scents.

Top notes include incense, pink pepper, pepper, and red berries. Middle notes have nutmeg, incense, cardamom and sage. In the base, there is balsam fir, incense, and mastic (also known as lentisque).

I’m sure I’m not the only one, but there’s something about incense that always washes me over with a feeling of “vieille eglise.” Encens Flamboyant is no exception. When I first spray it on, I find it highly balsamic and camphorous and borderline medicinal There’s also a bit of pine-like smokiness that might be the result of the mastic, a resin from a Mediterranean shrub that has a scent resembling cedar and olibanum. Despite the note pyramid, on my skin the berries are the most prominent in the base of the scent, which lend the one touch of sweetness that I can detect – and it is an extraordinarily subtle sweetness, even less noticeable than the red berry accord that people seems to detect in Tuscan Leather. On the whole, this is an incredibly arid, bone-dry fragrance.

As if the simplicity of the scent were not itself a slight letdown, the sillage is another negative. On my skin, Encens Flamboyant wears almost like a skin scent even from the very beginning, and has virtually zero ability to project. I smelled it at varying lengths from my noise, and could never detect it more than maybe four to six inches from the point of application. Admittedly, the few times that I sampled this were in the winter, so if someone was searching for that ever-illusive springtime or summertime incense fragrance, this might be something to look at. At the end of the day, this sits gloomy and funereal on my skin – perfect if I thought it could stand up to the cold weather I’ve been lucky enough to experience lately. Unfortunately, even in this weather, I find nothing “flamboyant” about this at all.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

Initially Encens Flamboyant smells very piney, but it quickly dries down and the pine scent mixes in with a smokey sweetness that includes berries, pepper, and a dampness that keeps the scent smelling dewy fresh. It's a subtle incense fragrance that is just a hair more masculine than feminine, and it stays on for a good 10 hours before fading. What I love about this is how it seems to bring me to a peaceful and meditative state of mind. It's wonderful.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Start very pungent,smoky, thanks to incense. I like the middle part when the other notes begin to evolve...The opening is not my favorite part, but after a few minutes begins to get interesting and mystic. After about one hour it proves decisively: Resinous,smoky,almost like I was in a house in the mountains with incense in the distance but always present, with fir trees close reading a good book. This fragrance I like, is well made and long lasting on me. Council to try for lovers of perfumes Annick Goutal.

Sillage: 6/10
Longevity: 7.5/10
Scent: 8.5/ 10

Overall: 7.5/10

Calvini
Calvini

This is a really good scent; it reminds me of Fille en aiguilles (Serge) and Sycomore (Channel), but even deeper and smokier. It carries a certain class, but somewhat aged.. unfortunately I don't think it suits me as well as the other two.

40plus&fab
40plus&fab

VERY smokey, incense and herbally if you like that. It's almost like a scent experience rather than a personal fragrance. I like incense but this is too much for me.

mrsg34
mrsg34

Strange, woody incense that is moreish! I smell the greenery of the woods mingled with the incense it's quite beautiful.

vallensvelvet
vallensvelvet

I need to try this again, but my first impressions are: wow, this is super weird!

This is the saltiest perfume I've ever sniffed.The first 20 mins or so are just overpowering brine, with lovely churchy frankincense hiding underneath. I'm not at all sure what it is that my skin is amplifying, perhaps just an aspect of the incense (?), since I smell something similar, though much more subdued, in Dzongkha: briny, pickle-y, seaweedy.

That saltiness remains, but gradually tones down a little, and a really nose tickling pepper bursts through. It seemed to be mellowing out at around the 1hr 30 mark, but I showered and washed it off. So am not fully sure what the dry down contains.

It is really interesting and odd, but doesn't seem all that wearable to me. I will give it a few more goes and see if my response develops at all.

nero77
nero77

Interesting incense...

This one is very nice. An incense which has a lot of "forest" type notes. I can pick up birch wood and fir balsam and a host of other notes. This really reminds me of the very good incense perfumes I've smelled before. I really enjoy it. I have enjoyed many of the perfumes in the Les Oreintalistes series from Annick Goutal. This one is no exception. Recommended for lovers of incense fragrances.

nexangelus
nexangelus

This reminds me of Lush Breath of God. The lovely incense bit. I love Annick Goutal (which means I may have to revisit a dislike at some point - Nuit Etoilee) so far. I love incense, heavy and suggested. This is suggested, woody incense. Not heavy resinous burning acrid smokiness...this is the scent of bodies and clothes that have passed through the smoke, not the smoke itself. It is light enough not to sting the nose but present enough for you to smell different. This is what I love about AG, you will smell unique. I love the fresh green feel to this, a summery incense. It soothes, focuses the mind. It is gentle.

tonileefiore
tonileefiore

I am again attempting to expand my very small, go-to, Oriental-floral-musk-wood fragrance wardrobe. So, after falling in love with By Kilian Incense Oud at $400/1.7 ml, I decided to try other alternative (and more affordable) incense fragrances. I think that for me, trying to do so is going to be like downsizing from a Ferrari to a Yugo...though I've never owned either. But I think you get my point...not an easy transition if you've tried Kilian Incense Oud.

So, this is an Encens Flamboyant retry for me and I must say, my tastes have changed. When I first smelled Encens Flamboyant from the bottle (a few years back), I was smitten. Quite sure I had found the Holy Grail of affordable incense fragrances, I sadly became disappointed after applying it and witnessing what occurred during the dry-down and wear.

First time, I loved the opening...complex yet simple and familiar...an identifiable incense with some pink pepper (or some peppery note) and smoke. Not enough pepper to make me sneeze but incense with a real twist and the requisite smokiness. While these pleasant and agreeable notes remained with me for quite sometime, the fragrance seemed to (sadly) morph into a musty, sour balsamic note after an hour or so. Very disappointing. I smelled like a fairy lost in a fir tree forest.

This time 'round, I experienced the same opening notes and pleasant development as I did the first time. As an aside, I have a mixed "like affair" with many of the Annick Goutal fragrances...some are downright weird. Having said that, I found the dry-down to be much less harsh, less fir-tree/wood forest like this time. Unable to stop sniffing my wrist, the landing consisted of balsamic notes that were much less "sour," more balanced and more spicy than what I previously recall. Several hours in, I still detected a pleasant, albeit faint incense/smoke note.

Linear but lovely. Simple, basic...notes as stated by perfumier.

Still not 100% sure about this one but I'm enjoying it more as the day progresses. Silage is pretty spot-on (no one seems to be complaining) and longevity is great...6-7 hour application today and the fragrance is still going strong.

At this price range, I'm also re-trying L'Artisan "Passage d'Enfer." Also going to give Jovoy ANOTHER try...La Liturgie des Heures. Sadly, I can no longer locate Etro "Messe de Minuit"...it's out of production. Out of the many incense fragrances, next to Kilian Incense Oud, Etro Messe de Minuit was my favorite.

scented2014
scented2014

if it was common to have a fireplace in a church, that would be it! very smoky incense. it's a dark scent (the bottle design fits perfectly) and it's a definite like!

Q80
Q80

this is good! i can smell the incense quite clear with the pepper. kind of chaos and a bit messed up but not as the one that i wouldn't wear. it's something i'd wear as a change. not weird, not unique, and never common but i really can't realize the mixage in Annick Goutal fragrances, like this one for instance, the red berries shows up quit clear in the base note and never on top. it's an acceptable perfume to me.

and regarding the longevity... it's quite less than 2 hours! i really wonder if this one is supposed to be stronger than the EDT, then how long would the EDT lasts!! 10 minutes?

Danielle125

足以让你懂得,
所有美好的气息 都是短暂的。

muzzbait
muzzbait

EDP: it's quite resinous, and the frankincense/incense comes through thick and heavy. doesn't give off that 'minty' high note that frankincense can sometimes be renown for, so it's certainly wearable. there's just not enough background character for me. it's all base with no mid/top notes. straight to business, which is fine if that's your thing. could probably do with a bit of floral/citrus sweetness for mine. anyway, it's certainly nice, just not quite for me...

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Encens Flamboyant is a very interesting incense. It's not as dark as many. It is uplifted by the balsam fir note which makes this different and fresher than other incense scents. Nevertheless, while I appreciate the notes in the fragrance, it is not for me.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

This is a weird scent to me. Perhaps one of the weirdest I've ever tried. It has a really strong, evocative, clear "old lady" feel. Not in the sense of great classics which let us daydream about 1930's rich, foreign ladies and countesses; more like an actual, real old grandma, not even that rich or aristocratic. An ordinary, discreet, refined, wizened granny. This is the exact smell you would meet at her place: a bit of a perfume, sure, balsamic pine notes coming from the window, stained ashtrays near the sofa, crochets, dusty furniture and curtains impregnated with the smell of time passing by - the scents she used once, the cigarettes she doesn't smoke anymore. Balsamic and a bit gloomy, or better say, almost funereal.

7,5/10

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Incense comes from nature, and Encens Flamboyant makes it a point to mention this by smelling incredibly balsamic, resinous, and piney-green. In fact, I'd call it the greenest incense I've smelled yet. Creed's Original Vetiver is the greenest, grassiest vetiver scent I've ever met, and EF is the OV of incense - fresh, clean, and bright green in a way that is overwhelmingly outdoorsy, yet also somehow overtly synthetic. It's like a high-class incense and evergreen soap formula, a brilliant concept and execution that leaves the user scratching their head a bit afterward, wondering if any of it made sense. If you're an incense purist, you'll have issues with this one, but if you're a conehead, you'll really like it. I'm a bigger fan of pine notes than of incense notes, so EF gets a thumbs up from me.

Nonplussed is a nice word and probably the way I would describe my feelings towards this fragrance. It's not at all bland but rather a bit stale perhaps? I love incense fragrances and believe they should be heady & rich but sometimes come off as weird and this is one of those occasions. I had expectations of love for this juice but all that I felt was disappointment compared to the brilliant Ambre Fetiche. Will any other Annick Goutal fragrance reach those dizzy heights again? I hope so.
Heavy on the smoke and pepper in the opening Encens Flamboyant doesn't do much in the way of freshness. The fir becomes apparent and just makes it darker if anything.
I'll be honest this could be a slow burner and may well require some more time to get my head around.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

I agree with the 'pine incense' theme going on here. Very faint projection and didn't seem to stick around very long on me. Nothing real different going on either. Nice smell though.

Marciu
Marciu

I would call it simply "Green Incense". It's very green after spraying on the skin, I feel mostly mastic, balsam fir and sage. It's almost bursting with greennes, I'd say. But two hours later the greennes slowly fades away and the incense smoke swoops in. Actually, I really loved mixed those green notes with incense. Later on incense dominates the fragrance and sits on me for the next 9 hours.

Overall longevity is great - 12 hours easilly. Sillage is impressive for the first 7 hours, then fades to the skin scent.

I like it, but I think I prefere "traditional" incense fragrances - I mean woods+smoke+eventually spices(the best combination IMO).

orchid_84
orchid_84

Of the various incense fragrances I’ve tried thus far, this isn’t one of my favourites. Encens Flamboyant perhaps comes across too literal for me, too church-like….it has a very austere, cold feeling about it. The spices and herbal elements give it a serious effect, to the extent that it seems lacking in warmth. The combination of the incense, pepper, fir and other spices unfortunately also gives it a dirty cigarette-butt/ashtray scent once it has worn on my skin a while. This is a unique, unusual incense fragrance, but not something I want to smell like.

mpbrown
mpbrown

Well, hmmmmmm...... this fragrance is very interesting and I do get what others have said about the smokey, ashtray thing. There is a burned pine tar thing going with it and it sort of reminds me of eating a cinnamon roll next to a cold firepit.... as it dries down the burnt tariness subsides a little bit and a sweet balminess steps in. On me, this fragrance is really light though, very little sillage, but it has good longevity. I am glad I had a chance to try this but I don't like it enough to wear it very often.

drakecito
drakecito

WARNING!!!! This is not a Oriental fragance...
This is an stile of "Eau de Cologne" but with very light notes of incense and spices.
I was specting a deep fragance (like Ambre Fetiche) but this is too light, fresh and delicated (and booooring in my opinion), with low longevity and projection.

Sillage: 3/10

Caist
Caist

Smokey, pinecone on the ground, naturally aromatic

I LOVE pine fragrances but they're hard to pull off without smelling like a car freshener. Luckily the depth of the this fragrances doesn't leave you thinking that, it's terrific!! I paint with this one on all time, because it smells vintage in the most modern way possible. It wears like a fog of sparkling pine, with the enticing roll of the incense underneath it, and pepper to emphasize its role as an aromatic.

An awesome fall/ winter fragrance, Annick's place well with others too:

Jo Malone blackberry and bay as a top-off.
Creeds Royal Oud as a base prior to putting on.
Hell, go to bath and body works and get the spearmint eucalyptus lotion and use that as a base too!

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

It arrived today ! Not what I expected at all . Pretty much I can resume it to 2 notes : frankincense and pine ! I don't get a lot of smokiness or ashy feeling from it . It smells initially like my Orthodox Church and soon a very fresh pine / Christmas tree takes over , resinuous and woodsy . I find it rather transparent , despite being an edp . Below average silage , good lasting power . Absolutely gloriously beautiful and mysterious , not sexy though . Similar to Fille en Aiguilles WITHOUT the sweetness. Due to its transparency , very wearable . I was afraid it would smell "hippie" but it doesn't. Luckily no soapiness whatsoever . Very peaceful and serene , as if holding an empowering secret . I feel it was a fantastic blind buy !

CabaretRed
CabaretRed

One of my favorites, the pepper and fir accentuate the incense notes throughout this dry, smokey, balanced scent.

Gabriellitjie
Gabriellitjie

Delightful, warm, with strong incense definition, but also sweet and kinder than most incense perfumes.
Oh, for doxology's bin (where the sample got thrown) and for Bandit's cleaning agents - imagine cleaning your house and the delicious fragrance of Encens Flamboyante hovers ....! Reason I'd riffle around doxology's bin? The stuff stays a maximum of 1 hour on my skin, then there's not a trace. Pity it has absolutely no staying power on me.

Tovah
Tovah

Laughing like crazy at @doxology's "Les Aiselles Flamboyantes"! Hahaha

I would LOVE to see the marketing campaign. :-D

siovale

Second only to Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain. So glad I have another beautiful smokey, warm embracing incense fragrance to wear. Yes, mysterious bazaars, old churches, temples of the Middle East married to the fragrant balsams of Christmas. Heavenly!!!

Bandit
Bandit

This is not bad, but it reminded me immidiatly of something and I couldn't put my finger on it for quite some time. Today I sampled again and also did some house cleaning and now I have it:

German ATA. This is a cleaning scrub with history, it is around since 1920 here in Germany. ATA itself has more citrus notes in it and I have the impression, that ATA has been "reformulated" recently, but EF smells otherwise exactly like the ATA of my childhood.

Now I am not quite sure, if I want to smell like ATA. Maybe now I've spoiled EF for myself, but maybe because I have dear memories towards this smell, I add it to the collection? We'll see.

rethsarah
rethsarah

Growing up in India a Zoroastrian, my family often took me to Agiaries and Atash Behrams: fire temples. They're beautiful, spiritual places; cathedral-like without being elaborate. Little lamps inside hollow chandeliers dot the high ceilings; paintings in ornate frames hang proud like in an art gallery and there is a quiet and deep peace permeated only by the whispers of children and prayer. Those memories would be mere shadows if I didn't mention the passage of scent I experienced every visit. Little shops selling marigolds outside and grass and wildflowers by the well in the garden lend a sweetness to the dominating caress of sandalwood on the sacred fire. I remember sprinkling it with frankincense and watching soft, billowing clouds of smoke rise from the flames. It consumed me. Now that I live in Switzerland, I hold on to those reflections with a fierce passion.

That is why I so desperately wanted to love Encens Flamboyant. Unfortunately, it doesn't love me back. I get straight up cool, arid incense all the way from the top notes to drydown; just a hint of pepper and sage but no balsam fir, nor a trace of nutmeg. It's not enough for me to appreciate this for what it is; I want something to make it 'complete.' I don't know what I was expecting. Something resinous like Andy Tauer's Incense Rosé, maybe.

But sitting here with the remnants of yesterday's Amouage Lyric Woman on one wrist and Encens Flamboyant on the other (mingling beautifully when I lift both to my nose I might add), I expect Encens might have even been intended to be more of a layering scent. I could definitely see it working with say, Ambre Fetiche. I even considered a few Amouages with their frankincense base notes, but I'd feel more than a bit contrite and boorish if I preferred my crude experimentation to their technical excellence!!

ETA: Many Goutals are transient on me so I remain pleasantly surprised with Encens' staying power; a magnificent 18-20 hours.

ivy818
ivy818

It's no surprise to me that this doesn't appeal to some people. I am not one of those people. To me, this is the smoky-woody-incense that I am so attracted to. It is smoky throughout, but once the pepper fades and the balsam fir and spices come in, I'm not in a church; rather, as yourfoxiness put so well, it is the mountain air mixed with last night's campfire. Absolutely gorgeous, and thankfully, not too heavy for summer evenings. ***LOVE***

doxology
doxology

What's the French word for "armpits"? I know -this should have been called "Les Aiselles Flamboyantes". Beurk . . . If this is supposed to invoke incense, it's not clean, churchy frankincense. More like 1970s don't-wear-no-capitalist-deodorant incense. My sample's in the bin, with rather a lot of Glen20.

There seem to be tons of incense perfumes by now. I have the Comme des Garçons Incense series, which covers a lot of dry incense ground. Annick Goutal ENCENS FLAMBOYANT offers a new twist on incense: dampness. Never has a perfume reminded me more of the scent of the inside of a medieval cathedral after a rain.

So, yes, I'd call this a novelty scent. Do I want to smell like the inside of a medieval Catholic church all damp and musty, like cold concrete and stone mingling with purple smoke? Not really, to be honest. Perhaps ENCENS FLAMBOYANT would work better for the gents, although I wonder whether it might morph into some sort of body odor scent. Probably depends on the guy. Try before you buy.

In any case, I enjoyed the memories elicited by this perfume, of my trips around small towns in France where I invariably dropped in for a visit to the local church or cathedral and often smelled something like this scent lingering in the air. It's odd, I suppose, that an agnostic should enjoy visiting the cathedrals of France. I also like cemeteries and catacombs, perhaps for the same reason.

isenseincense
isenseincense

Surely "Like Elton John in an Amish church frock" is the best sentence ever used in a perfume review?

EDIT: And yet despite the brilliant review quoted above, I still bought a large decant.....why did I do it?

I should love it, all the notes, say I should love it.

But I don't love it. In fact I don't even like it.

It is flat and heavy and "joyless" - at least to my nose.

My search for a great wearable incense goes on.

antfarm
antfarm

Sometimes it's beautifully serene and literally smells like walking through incense smoke. Other times it's caustic and smells like cleaning out a bathtub with Comet.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

What a brave fragrance. This is incense smoke, pure and simple. There is nothing sweet or yielding about this fragrance. Brilliant!

Magenta106
Magenta106

This smells exactly like a cheap motel smoking room, right down to the plastic carpets. A shame since I really planned to like this fragrance. It does fade to have an outdoorsy camping smell. Unfortunately the fade is too late after the sillage is gone. Avignon is a much more rounded and pleasant smell. Azemour has a nice citrusy incense before it's burned scent.

delara
delara

I usually like AG's scents but this is not my taste , like being in a church and having these ashtrays nearby

aveilhe
aveilhe

Encens Flamboyant is a very smoky, dry, and LITERAL incense perfume. As with most Goutals, this has a mystical, esoteric quality. There is no hint of sweetness here, only dried spices, fragrant mastic, and burning sage. It stays quite linear on the skin and clothes, always emitting a smoky aura.

This is one of those fragrances that smells divine but doesn't necessarily translate well as a perfume or "personal scent" (at least not for me). On a base level, I want my perfume to make me feel beautiful, to elevate my mood. This scent is pensive, serious, and deeply religious. I'm not sure those are moods I want evoke with my perfume...

This scent may well be perfect for someone who generally dislikes most fragrances, because it is so unlike traditional perfumes (no fruits, sugar, or florals, to speak of). It could easily be worn by men or women -- in fact, I would actually like to smell this on a man to see if it changed my perception at all.

Perhaps this is a scent best worn for oneself (at home alone) or while meditating quietly. While I do love incense notes in perfume, EF might simply be too literal for my taste. I plan to experiment with layering it -- perhaps with a rich Amber -- in order to create a more complex, "perfume-y" scent. I will update if I find anything that blends nicely with it.

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

Encens flamboyant mi ha fatto innamorare quasi subito.
e' un profumo evocatore e sognante, rilassa e rasserena.
l'apertura e' fresca di lavanda, ariosa, poi lentamente si addolicisce e chiama alla mente una campagna medievale,un paesaggio rurale in una giornata grigia invernale. il fumo di incenso caldo, le case di campagna, un paesino antico...
tutto ha un sottofondo costante dolce ma non stucchevole,sul quale si sviluppano le fasi della fragranza,che ripropone l'incenso sotto varie forme in piu riprese... infine termina con il mastice,resina che ricorda un po' il fumo delle candele spente...
Evoca un'atmosfera fredda e balsamica,di aria di abeti, odori boscosi e cuore riscaldato.

fanny
fanny

An incense perfume, with a thick and peppery opening.
Somehow I expected it to be sweeter. Not so. This is a lovely brooding incense with fir, cardamom and -o bliss !!- a sweet hint of red berries.
For once I am happy a scent -which I really love- is not at all heavy in sillage (be sure: I sprayed and sprayed again). It probably would have been too much if it were. Being as mild in sillage as it is, I find it absolutely delicious and bewitching at the same time.
A combination of two adjectives quite applicable in general to Les 4 Orientalistes.

desertrat
desertrat

LOVE it! Beautiful pure incense... smokey... slightly sweet... Would also be a lovely layering agent with something else ... Alas not much longevity nor sillage but sooo worth the time you have... I love to go to sleep with it on...

Dougczar
Dougczar

Let me start by saying that I LOVE Annick Goutal's take on citrus (Eau d'Hadrien / Les Nuits d'Hadrien), and I ADORE Annick Goutal's rendition of amber (Ambre Fetiche).
However, I find Annick Goutal's interpretation of incense to be gag-inducing. I am a huge fan of incense (Kilian Incense Oud and CdG Avignon are among my absolute favorite scents). I tried this one a few times now, but just can't get past 45 minutes before I have to scrub it off. It just doesn't smell like incense to me. What I get from this is more ashtray than incense. It smells exactly like a nightclub ashtray at 2:00 AM - just loaded up with that evening's spent cigraettes with ashes flowing over the sides. A deep whiff of something like this should be accidental not deliberate.

siovale

I just applied this on my skin from a sample I received and it is absolutely heavenly! Incense that is the opposite of acrid. Gorgeous. Light, yet I'm transported into a sweet haze of frankincense. I have always dreamt of this perfume, searching everywhere for the delectable combination of incense with balsam fir. It's beautiful!

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I love smelling this from my sample vial. It puts me in an excellent mood and clears my mind! But every time I apply it to my skin, the balsam fir note becomes just a little too pronounced and gives me a slight headache. Everything else about the scent is perfect! The incense note is dominant the whole way through, and combined with the balsam fir, it evokes feelings of being in a winter forest with the smell of wood smoke in the air. It's very grounding and serene.

I didn't find the spices in the composition individually discernable. If they are there, they perform their purpose well in the background.

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

Best Nag Champa perfume out there. Starts out dry and smoky, but dries down to straight up Nag Champa. I LOVE it. Even better than pure Nag Champa oil.

gtabasso
gtabasso

Smelled this on a friend and fell in love; ran out and bought a bottle online for $58!!!! I love it. This is absolutely rich, deep, unique, strong, sultry incense.

TillyWave
TillyWave

This is the smoky/insense frag I've been waiting for. With pine/balsam, too. I loove pine so much-Christmas trees, split saplings in the woods, pine is wonderful.

This linear fragrance is a lot of pine, with a smoky insense all around. It lasts forver for Annick Goutal--2 sprays at 24 hours. Crazy. The morning after I applied, I felt enveloped in clean, fresh air, with a smouldering fire turning to coals next to me--I almost felt as if ash were flying up my nose, mountain wind blowing, pine balsam resins sticking to my hands as I broke down camp.

Balsam fir-smoke-charcoal-peppery insense-great longevity-unique as all get out. Love.

lisa o
lisa o

want to smell like you've spent half your day praying in a gothic church?
I do:-)
very holy and well blended incense. and definately oddly sexy.

mickers
mickers

Very dry incense, fir and pepper. Very nice incense fragrance but sits really soft on my skin. If you like your incense a little softer this might be up your alley.

la louve
la louve

Now I have three of the precious "Les Orientalistes"
(Ambre Fétiche, Myrrhe Ardente, Encens Flamboyant).
:-) It´s december, we just bought today our Christmas tree, it´s verrrry cold and I´m so much in the mood for these "holy-smoke"-perfumes.. grrrrr :-) I´m totally glad and I make my experiments with mixing them and sometimes a little "sprizz" of "Vanille Exquise"... I have some free-days with my beloved husband, drinking tea, nibbling Christmas cookies, reading or writing new cabaret-texts... that´s the way I like it...mmmmmh! Love from Louve! <3

Labaloo
Labaloo

Just received this one today; already I am impressed- exquisite! Olibanum- Catholic church-style! Holy Perfection.

Mr.Poet
Mr.Poet

My favorite Annick Goutal and got a great deal as well. 86.00 for a 100ml edp.:)

courtneySRQ
courtneySRQ

I love the opening on this fragrance, as it is spicy and warm incense with lots of depth. Then as it dries down I am left smelling like I was standing downdraft from a campfire. Absolutely horrible. About 30 minutes later the warm incense came back along with the smoke. I am guessing this is just the reaction with my body chemistry, but I would definitely recommend a trying a sample a couple of times before investing in a bottle.

Kasozo
Kasozo

Love it most together with Myrrhe. Sparkling

lara0905
lara0905

After reading the rewiews below I thought this scent gonna be very strong incense cloud but after the application it's surprized me..:)
One thing is very clear for me: the name of the perfume is totally misguided me:) I really waited a big blast of bright peppery opening and very harsh beginning and something heavy-old church-smell but...not..:)
At the beginning slightly peppered fir notes comes, it's like the impressions of the sun's rays shining through the clouds. The fir very dominant until the end, the last phase is a calming,melancholic but cosy incensed fir smell.Somehow reminds me of campfire and the winter.

Encens Flamboyant is an elegant, quiet, solid ,dark, gothic incense scent.I like it!:)

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

I really like this scent---it lasts very well on me, which is rare. It's a very seductive incense perfume, with more going on than some others I've tried, like Full Incense (Montale). The incense is there from start to finish, like a bed of coals for the spice & fir. Cardamom adds sweetness to the pepper, and the fir note evokes something oddly ethereal, as if one really were on a hilltop watching smoke rise from the incense offered to an ancient goddess. Poetic, wearable, and sexy in a subtle way. I look forward to my full bottle, and to trying the other offerings in Les Orientalistes.

LaLaPop75
LaLaPop75

I put this on and I feel like I just rolled around in a bowl of freshly burnt Frankincense ashes. No different...pure, dark, burnt. I love other AG scents, I will have to leave this one behind.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is a lovely incense which is less conventional than others in that it smells of the 'ghost' of incense in an ethereal, lingering way, as though you've walked in from a wintry pine forest to a cold stone church which has recently had a mass. That said, it isn't without presence or longevity. Really nice and on my want list!!

flaneur
flaneur

Elegant and mysterious. Lasts all day. Unique. Exudes a sophisticated confidence. I save this for special evenings when I want to make an impression - or when I'm dressing up... Definately a favourite.
Great for men and women, I think.

This is one evrybody really talks too much about. Overstimated, baroque and a bit vulgar! If you like dark incense perfumes try Bois D'Encens by or Incense Extreme by Andy Tauer or Avignon by CDG.

Dark-green and smoky frankincense with a citrusy vibe. Not bad but far from being completely successful.

kerini
kerini

Too much incense is too much for me!
The first few hours were very churchy. I was on constant alert for any thurible swingers I'd need to dodge but half a day in I started enjoying it more and more.
Once the overwhelming part is over it's smoky, soothing and warm. It lasts up to 22 hours on me.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Did i wake up with someone sexy..in a tent in the mountains? Is that great smell me, or him? Or just the mountain air, and last nights fire? This is not for eveyone i believe, but encens flamboyant is a haunting beauty. I get the tingling pepper, incense, evergreen, and a wet, mossy scent that comes and goes. A reapplication after the drydown does beautiful things. Just when i think i smell cozy, last nights dirty incense creeps up my spine, and reminds me of that one.. Haunting. Leaves me wanting more.

Kterhark
Kterhark

I’m now wondering if ‘flamboyant’ means something different in French then it does in English.

Encens Flamboyant smells like Elton John in an Amish church frock.
If there is leather here it is wet and musty; and any incense got beaten by the frumpy stick.

I like a good smokey fragrance so this is disappointing. Maybe my sample was exposed to the elements and altered, but there is nothing here that would catch your attention.

I wish this lasted longer. It fades very quickly on me and is completely gone within about four hours. But while it lasts, it's a warm and lovely powdered incense scent.

Encens Flamboyant is supposed to be the most incensey fragrance in the series, however I'm not feeling it.

This fragrance is much more subtle than Myrrhe Ardente and Ambre Fetiche. Despite its lack of incensey goodness, this fragrance makes up for it with its unique blend of pepper, woods and smoke.

I totally get the 'Christmassy' feel that Veruska mentioned in her review. The combination of spice and fir, is like scent recognition for me, it's Christmas in December all over again with every sniff.

In some ways, Encens Flamboyant is musty, but not in a bad way. Its mustiness is what adds to its mystery, like an old, forgotten room, locked up for decades.

Encens Flamboyant often strikes me as being an aromatic, as I sometimes find myself dazing off into space when I casually smell it every now and then.

Although I do find this fragrance unisex, I'm more likely to recommend this fragrance to men more than women, however I haven't managed to pin-point what makes this fragrance more masculine than feminine to my nose.

Being mostly dry, yet occasionally musty and damp, Encens Flamboyant is a very unique fragrance indeed. It is certainly worth checking out, even if you don't think it would be your type of scent. These Les Orientalistes fragrances are masterpieces that will hopefully be sold for many years to come.

melbourne6
melbourne6

Simply beautiful....it reminds me of visiting the Cathedral of St Catherine in Siena, Tuscany - ancient candles, church insence and a hint of mystery.

Mogie
Mogie

Hands down this is one of my favorite scents. I love the smell of incencse so this just fits perfectly. What I love most about it is that it is truly just enough. It is not overpowering like alot of other incencse based scents.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

This is a very smokey fragrance: my first impression was as if I was bathing in the ash tray >"< but later it got better and a little bit sweet (in its own way). More suitable for men in my opinion, or smoking women maybe, or someone who just likes these kinds "religious" scents. Incredibly long-lasing on me. A must try for the frankincense lovers =)

hollycat
hollycat

To me this scent is very spiritual. The incence reminds me of an old sacred church where you spend time alone in quiet meditation. Its smokey, dry and warm. I agree this would be great in winter when its too cold to go anywhere and all you want to do is feel a sense of peace all around you. Beautiful.

kylexora
kylexora

After i try it, i think it's not a fiery gothic or anything dark. Just a warn incense burned with some spice. Pleasant for cold season. Definitely not for me since I live in tropical country. Well, i like smell it.
When i heard incense, i tought it is incense that people use in a death ceremony, you know, when people die and their family burn some incense. well, i hate incense because it scared me to death. But this one is beautiful, i dont know why i like it.
Suit men than women. It worth a try...

Dark Curls
Dark Curls

i LOVE this!!! If you are craving a dark fragrance with lots of incense...this is the one! Today is the one year anniversary of my grandmother's death, so I feel like wearing this today.

fpih
fpih

I tried this at the end of the summer and fell in love with it... the second time I put it on. On first try, this didn't seem interesting enough; just plain incense. On second try though it stole my heart. It lingered for hours, a dry incense without a single sweet note, perfectly wearable during the heat of a mediterrenean summer. It was sofisticated and surprisingly cool. I expected something warmer from the 'flamboyant' in the name, but I didn't get any of that. Stays close to the skin but lasts for hours and I never get tired of smelling my wrist. I already bought Ambre Fetiche which I absolutely love, but my next purchase of this line, or any line in fact, will be this one:)

UPDATE: Finally bought this and I'm amazed with it! I feel so confident, so smart when I wear this, I can't get enough of it! And, it is simply amazing for layering with pretty much anything. My best combination so far is with SL Daim Blonde, which is quite breath-taking

liquidiridium
liquidiridium

Ok, I am understanding that for me, when Annick says for him & her, I will know that it is not the scent for me. Initial blast smelled just like Chloraseptic throat spray mixed w/bactine. Then mid-notes,Ben-Gay. Final notes much too spicey/peppery for me, the burnt odor is quite pleasing though. [Much better than Myrrh Ardente > that is the WORST fragrance I have ever had the misfortune to encounter]. I think this might smell seductive on a man, preferably in cool/cold months.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Encens. Flamboyant means either fiery gothic (architectural term) or more suitable in this situation (and I more likey it) is - fiery incense. Which is true- this is very warm incense fragrance, I can imagine how great it would be to wear this in cold winter days.
Top is very spicy, peppery I think once it settles down this is the thing that makes incense so hot. Incense is dominating, old church smell- you can feel it's sacred character and imagine old benches.

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

I love this , it's dry and smoky .It's not a patch on Armani's incense but reading Veruska makes me want to try the Myrrhe version . I love old church smells.

veruska
veruska

This is a nice incense scent from annick goutal a company that is'nt known for her warm or oriental fragrances.It starts with a fantastic fiery and piquant pepper note and it becomes a full incence scent with a distinctive Christmassy balsam fir drydown. Nice but the real star of the collection is MYRRHE ARDENTE.

noor_jehan
noor_jehan

this really sounds promissing. :) i am looking forward to make an olfactive acquaintance with these three fragrances. and the case looks really great. :)

2007

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.