Designers » A » Floral « Groups

Gardenia Passion Annick Goutal for women

tuberose

Gardenia Passion is a memory of the spring-time travel of Annick Goutal to Japan, the season of gardenia blooming. Into this fragrance Annick Goutal retrieved the natural rich gardenia scent, the scent of fresh flowers after the rain. Gardenia is surrounded by jasmine, tuberose and orange blossom. The base note is oakmoss. The fragrance has a long luscious trace, versatile in nature due to gorgeous white bouquet.
The fragrance was created in 1989.

Gardenia Jasmine

Tuberose Orange Blossom

Vanilla

Gardenia Passion Fragrance Reviews

Alex1984
Alex1984

Gardenia Passion can be a bit misleading, because other than the fact that Fragrantica has some notes missing (tomato leaf, myrrh) it's an extension of Goutal's Passion which was released earlier and is a floral chypre. Gardenia Passion takes the base and intensifies the floral heart with added gardenia and tuberose. Frankly if you own one out of the two you don't need the other unless you're a white floral junkie.
That said, Gardenia Passion varies on different skin chemistries. Some people get more tuberose while others get more of the gardenia part. I get a cheesy gardenia that's still covered with earth. I've been looking for a dirty or animalic gardenia, something more carnal than your average white floral, and while this isn't animalic it is definitely fleshy and carnal, the scent of hot skin.
Gardenia Passion opens on my skin with the green bitterness of the tomato leaf, slightly similar to galbanum. It's quite astringent without being harsh. This lasts just a couple of minutes before I am immediately greated with a cheesy gardenia. The flower is wilted and it's turning brown. It's just beyond its prime but the gardenia hasn't lost its scent, it just shows it's more carnal qualities, its fleshyness if you will, like skin that is hot. The tuberose doesn't really show on me, and the jasmine adds just a touch of honeyed indole that further contributes to the carnal effect. The white florals basically form a choir that make up a quite realistic gardenia, without falling in the usual cliches. Carnal flower would be a very apt name, as it feels more apt than simply Gardenia Passion. The sillage is quite subtle, on a hot day if I'm lucky I can get it to moderate, but it never gets suffocating, even being heavy handed. Longevity is average, but I find that deeply moisturized skin enhances the longevity substantially so no complaints there. As to the comparison to other white floral powerhouses... Well I don't get any similarities neither to Fracas nor Carnal Flower, mainly because those are tuberose bombs on my skin while this is not. If you like Gardenia you will probably like this, if you love Gardenia here you have a very high quality realistic rendition of a wilting narcotic flower. Try on your skin and give it some time to evolve, warm temperatures favor it enormously. It doesn't shout so it can even be used in closed settings, and unless someone comes close, it won't announce your presence to the entire world. Me, I love it, I have my ladylike gardenia from Lauder, and my carnal one here. I'd ask for some more sillage but I'm perfectly content. Another high quality Goutal that I'm sure won't disappoint.

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

I try to believe I might have a similar experience with the creator of this perfume. I discovered in on my way to China, and in the airport, the duty free shop, I tried this wonderful one,and I have been experiencing unique feeling each time I tried it. It was the time to have it and this one is a perfect birthday gift and I thank my friends Sabrina and Charlene who made my dream come true!

alicepolice
alicepolice

As a white flower junkie, I must say I am glad to smell something like this. It has a clear resemblance to Fracas, but is in a way also very different. Gardenia Passion is more green and less heady. I love Fracas, but sometimes I just want some variation, and I think this is a lovely, more chic and less diva alternative. A slight autumn-y feel to this one.

dmaw
dmaw

Ahhhh!!! Gardenia! Go easy, a little dab'll do ya.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

I've owned Gardenia Passion for a while now, and it's finally time for the review! I've never been a big fan of soliflores, especially white florals in particular as most I find cloying, or suffocating in some manner. Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion is to my nose, the delicate scent of a hothouse gardenia bush in full bloom. I smell sensuously tactile white gardenia blossoms, including the entire plant, which I personally find delightful. Very, very, floral, but somehow so very, femininely sexual! First it was a "throwback scent" as my mother liked gardenias, but this happened to grow on me to such an extent that I'm loving it even in winter for a breath of spring!
What I didn't expect was the way the composition would land right between blooms, green, and the barely there breath of vanilla to create a very delicate, balance which is both enticing, and refreshing somehow! I'd call it a very... "Nude" scent. It's uncomplicated, and seems to me to fit perfectly with soft, silken things, or nothing at all. Very well suited for delicate spring attire as well, this is no bombastic white floral like Fracas or Carnal Flower. Gardenia Passion was given a lesson in manners, and volume. Which I, for one appreciate very much. This was a blind swap for me, and after a full year of seasons change in which to explore this scent, I am deeply smitten. My sweetie finds it irresistible, it's so very feminine, and well mannered, he breathes me in deeply when I come to him smelling of creamy, dewy, delicate white blossoms on a spring breeze.. Not enough to smother, if white florals are your thing, this is the one to wear "to bed" it doesn't last all day & won't overpower, just enhance your natural scent. If you are new to gardenia, tuberose, or jasmine (which is politely, & mildly present here) this would make a great introductory to the genre for you! The price vs quality of The House of Goutal, is without question. I was sent 5 samples gratis, just for asking nicely, and I now own 5 Goutal scents, 3 in a limited edition parfum coffret! I you're curious about the house, just contact them politely! The customer service is lovely, and even the fragrances I didn't care for, at least we're of good quality. Unfortunately for me... I care for a lot of them! If you are in to exploring gardenia, this is the fresh version, and I would very highly recommend it. FB worthy for me! (And I still have to give some away over the holidays, it's made many new fans!)

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

I agree with priscillaemrich. This is way more gardenia than tuberose. Seems very linear and uncomplicated. Don't get me wrong, I adore the smell of a gardenia bush in bloom and this is probably as close as you'd ever get to that actual smell, but for the price I expected more. The vanilla dry down is lovely. Hard to explain but you know when you smell a heavy aquatic? It's not a soft smell but it's kind of transparent? That's how I would describe this vanilla base - it's not an overly sweet or powdery one. A "like" fragrance but not a love.

Intensive tiare like gardenia fragrance, reminding me Songes a lot.

I can't say that I'm a gardenia lover, but I like this fragrance. It reminds me a warm south night with blooming flowers. Impressive:)

I like it. I also like that there is no frankincense here like in Songes, because in Songes it brings to the same south night floral blooming feeling being like in the orthodox church at the same time. Very strange feeling:)

priscillaemrich
priscillaemrich

Many of the reviews of this fragrance have said that it is really a tuberose fragrance, rather than a gardenia fragrance. I do not find that to be the case. The gardenia is strong throughout, and is very true to the fragrance of real gardenias. If you love the scent of gardenia, this would be a great fragrance for you.

Chicbellavintage
Chicbellavintage

Oh Annick, Annick, Annick- this perfume has olfactory ADD. The first handful of seconds once on your skin- this perfume is a fiery gardenia jasmine, dank with wilting leaves and a hint of compost:) then it turns into a grabby bad date in a dusty theater whist being a awkwardly kissed with a sloppily butter popcorn breath-ed hairy dude:( true story.

Then, in its next to final and volatile expression- the faint hints of white flower citrus ( think ginger lilies) and warm bees wax is quickly devoured by my body chemistry- leaving an almost imagined ghost scent of toasted marshmallow and scorched Creme brûlée. Within 40 minutes... Poof- gone! But then, hours later... Boo ya- it reemerges delicate and subdued citrus-sugar.

I had such dreams for this fragrance- but then my body chemistry usually makes most perfume quite wonderful- unless it's this perfume. Is it suppose to smell like dessert? What is that murky note? I did not pick up the vanilla in this- vanilla is overrated.

I expected a juicy and wild gardenia with deep sensual amber and maybe a stronger jasmine kiss- this was like a tartlet grandma makes- I wear this to bed- not worthy to be worn out in public... Much less, strappy heels and a sexy dress.

This is for the EDP.
This one is just photo-realistic, a bloom of flowers in dewy fragrant soil, basking in the heat. The very top notes have a scratchy note of soil, which quickly fades, leaving the gardenia swirling in a wisp of tuberose (tuberose is usually sickeningly sweet on me but here it just adds a nice dimension.) There is a woody base that isn't quite oakmoss but it's nice anyway. This is nice because of how real and almost unperfumey it smells--it smells like something you would catch in the air vs something you would be wearing.

The lasting power of the EDT is garbage, spring for the EDP if you want something that actually lasts more than 30 minutes.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

A lovely true smelling gardenia with tuberose. I was worried about this being too indolic like many gardenia and tuberose fragrances. Instead it is quite bitter in the topnotes and I feared for the future of this scent on my skin. However, in about 15 minutes it calmed down to a very true smelling gardenia, like a bloom just plucked off a bush and put in a vase on your table. The tuberose and vanilla add just the right complementary notes. This is a gardenia that I can wear. It does not overpower, it turns into a pleasant skin scent that will make you smile as you go about your day. It also layers well with AG Petite Cheri, at least in my opinion it does.

wilbs
wilbs

Gardenia Passion opens with an unapologetic bang of grand white flowers; definitely gardenia however predominantly tuberose, the petals of which wilted in suffocating humidity, far from the freshness of a vase bursting of newly cut, pollinous blooms.

Mixed with the warmth of skin, the heavy floral is only made headier by the waft of candied jasmine. It's contradictorily soapy and dirty with a touch of gourmand.

As obnoxiously as the scent begins alongside its enormous projection, it swiftly dissipates into nothingness leaving one wondering, 'did I like it?'

It's so funny that Annick Goutal GARDENIA PASSION features tuberose only garnished with gardenia, while Estée Lauder Private Collection TUBEROSE GARDENIA is much more about gardenia than it is about tuberose! Both are obviously big white flower perfumes, so the names are a warning sign to those with issues with this genre.

The tuberose in GARDENIA PASSION is the thick, wilted kind. It smells rather dark and damp to me, as though the flowers are being held in captivity in a huge greenhouse amidst lots of other plant growth, not all of it tuberose, but not very much of it gardenia.

The first time I tried this perfume, I entertained the possibility that there had been some sort of decanting error, but now that I have a bottle, it is undeniable that this is essentially a tuberose soliflore. This of course raises all of the usual comparison questions: how does it stack up against FRACAS, BLONDE, CARNAL FLOWER, and the slew of other tuberose perfumes which continue to appear on the market, including the Histoires de Parfums trilogy?

To my nose, GARDENIA PASSION is not as good as those creations. The thick, somewhat muddled quality of the tuberose note here makes this composition seem more primitive. It actually reminds me a bit of Honore des Pres VAMP A NY, which I did not review very favorably. I won't say that GARDENIA PASSION is crude, but it is less refined. Still, on occasion it's nice to wear, just as it is nice to spend time in a stuffy and humid greenhouse every once in a while...

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

I wanted to adore this perfume. I bought it blind, because the price was just too good to pass up, but geez. Instant headache. So loud at the opening that I just couldn't leave it on my skin long enough to get the drydown.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Jusqu'à ce jour on ne parvient pas à extraire de l'essence de gardénia.
Mais je pense que ce Gardénia Passion d'Annick Goutal est une interprétation qui fait honneur à cette fleur capiteuse et fragile comme la porcelaine.

antfarm
antfarm

EDT:An extremely loud, realistic gardenia belting out choir lines of buttered popcorn madness with more delicate accompanying white florals on harps. Straddles the fine line between beautiful and nauseating. Very powerful opening that peters out into nothing within a half hour. All bark, bark, bark and no bite.

abominable
abominable

I have the EDP. After the first spray, the tuberose became apparent, followed by a meek gardenia then finished with the scent of orange blossoms that linger. This is a bold fragrance, very Oriental, suitable for someone with a strong personality but it may also annoy some people's sense of smell. I have a love and hate relationship with this perfume since sometimes I love it, then again another time, I may dislike it.

andreas73
andreas73

This is, definitely, one of the best examples of how different a scent can be from skin to skin... I love the scent of gardenias, and was very excited to try this one. It was, by far, the worst perfume I already had in my skin. Way too strong (great sillage, by the way!), very sickening, it didn't smell like gardenias in me and what I could smell was a strong note of celery, as some members had already mentioned. Yes, I smelt lots of flowers, putrefied ones. And yes, I know the indolic facet of some of the flowers that are present here, but on my skin this characteristic was beyond all the limits that someone could imagine. I have already blind-bought lots of perfumes, but I was lucky enough not to do that with this one. Don't buy it without trying! I hope you have more luck than me...

b.w.1185
b.w.1185

I thought I liked this but when I sprayed it my 18 month old son muttered under his breath that it "stinks". He has never said that about any of my other perfumes (I have 30), so now I'm a little unsure...

MsAmazing
MsAmazing

Love, love, love it. Better than Chanel's. Captures the sweetnes of a true gardenia and with the same hint of bitterness. I will always associate this fragrance with my beautiful young mother in St. Mark's Square, Venice when her much-in-love husband (this was her second marriage) brought her a gardenia crosage--no babysitter for me although it was her honeymoon. This is a strong perfume. So unless like the song says in the buckboard bounce and you don't want to rock the room, go lightly.

catsngunsnyarn
catsngunsnyarn

Gardenia Passion is the only floral I'll wear. I love my sweet orientals, but this buttery gardenia and tuberose gets me every time. It's so heavenly sprayed on a freshly washed pillowcase, too. It unfortunately doesn't last long on me, but I don't want to do more than 1 spray for fear of overpowering my workplace.

Lkrautter
Lkrautter

there is something so lovely about this scent.Madonna always wore it, and I think that says something about personalities correlating to perfume, as it used to be my mom's favorite scent.I was so heartbroken when she discontinued using it that I bought her a bottle.I wanted to wear it, but it is my mom's scent I couldn't steal it.
Annick Goutal is an olfactory genius.She just is I cannot explain it as I am not an expert.Her scents fade quickly, but who cares?One pure heavenly whiff implants itself in my mind forever, why do I need it to be long lasting?It is worth it.
Gardenia Passion will always be my favorite that I will never wear, but always melt with inoxication at.Sparkley,floral,warm,delicate,sophisticated,elegant,pure,sensual,womanly...perfect.

joyjoyjoy
joyjoyjoy

it's kind of perfume leaves trace on your coats, reminds you those good days, bad days and ugly days, sweetly and tenderly. and it's sooooooo french !!!

eruetim
eruetim

I loved it the first time I smelt it - I was looking for the original french female creation. Hot!

missymary
missymary

I've longed for a little sister of that Malle masterpiece Carnal Flower. Also related closely to Poeme and Fracas. And my dream has come true.It's not a name I expected, it's Gardenia Passion.

It opens richly and just deepens into a glorious outpouring of animalic flowers.

Thanks, I love you, Annick Goutal!

Mmmm... so beautiful!
Is this Madonna's fave? Well, I don't care much, but the lady shows some taste at least in perfume.
I mostly smell tuberose at the beginning. It smells exactly like Fracas with the buttery feel.
Strange enough this perfume smells different if worn inside or outdoor! Indoor in heated place it smells more buttery, outdoor with fresh air it smells greener and more nuanced.
I know that not everyone like white florals.
Personally I don't like lilies and white crispy florals, but I love these white thick bombs!
After the initial tuberose bloom, gardenia is more noticeable and gives a soft romantic mood to the whole blend. In this phase it smells slightly like a fraction of Amarige, my long lost Amarige when it smelled properly, now it smells like a big mess enveloped in a bag of green tobacco leaves.
Jasmine and orange blossom are not so noticeable IMO.
I see no bottom notes listed, but for sure there is more to this perfume because once all the flowers fade a little bit, the bottom line is delicately woody and aromatic, yet Gardenia Passion remains a total white floral experience from head to toes.
This is a kind of perfume that I really love to smell on myself and others because it gives an aura of romaticism without fluffyness, sensuality without vulgarity, a total feminine vibe and quite uplifting.
I agree it smells similar to Fracas, Carolina Herrera and Marc Jacobs Essence. Maybe all these scents aimed at the same purpose: classic, sensual, simple, elegance.
My only complaint is about sillage and lasting power for such an expensive scent.

ION
ION

Mmmm....this perfume smells like falling in a lustful love!
Not very complicated but soft and round and quite inviting!
The evident presence of tuberose/gardenia is somehow toned down, there's nothing harsh or artificial and synthetic here just a mellow and very natural statement of sensuality which so often, is more than enough.
Quite unusual and highly recommended!

elfremar
elfremar

I adore this fragrance and always have a bottle to hand.It is expensive so I don't use it every day,but would love to if I could afford it.It lasts for quite a while on my skin,and used along with the bath products is hard to beat.

muskymale
muskymale

This is Madonna's favourite perfume.

jasmasid
jasmasid

The opening is promising but there is absolutely no creamy feeling that I associate with gardenias. Also, it doesn't really last long and needs constant touch up. Not easy at this price! I think perfume makers -- particularly those whose scent bottles are in this price range -- should be forced to supply a FREE 2 or 4 ml. miniature with every 50 ml bottle otherwise how is one supposed to carry it everywhere?

PiggyB
PiggyB

This is my first negative review.
It is like a smell of a gardenia flower just before petals falling, a flower was washed away by cruel rain again and again.
It does smell naturally, seems innocent but I hate it.
I see flowers, edges of petals are becoming brown and getting dirty.

What have you done guilty torrential rain.
Beyond your ignorance and generosity, I see infinity of distortion.

I do not want it, I cannot get it, I cannot even compromise with a wearer.
It is not a creamy gardenia fragrance.
But very inspiring creation to think of the nature of this world.

la louve
la louve

For me it´s a light-version of FRACAS... what a pity, that the edt is so fleeting... LOVE from LOUVE

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is up my street as a white floral, but it doesn't smell of gardenia. It's a sweetish tuberose which smells so similar to Carolina Herrera Carolina Herrera that I would recommend spending the £16.00 on a bottle of that than the £60.00 on this one!!

mommiepretty
mommiepretty

I'm completely enamoured of white florals, so it should come as no surprise that I adore Gardenia Passion (edp). not as "loud" as Fracas (which I also love), this is a masterful blend of heady, exotic flowers, w/a distinctive, smooth "buttery" note that other reviewers have mentioned. a very realistic gardenia fragrance, Gardenia Passion is feminine and sweet but not cloying, and the sillage is so delicate as to be almost imperceptible. one of my fragrance wardrobe staples.

KateZeGreat
KateZeGreat

medium-bodied floral composition with a mellow green opening note that reminds me of bee's wax candles and a hint of petitgrain. The jasmine is quite nice - absolutely NO hints of fecality that can really ruin a composition with jasmine. I detect far more tuberose than gardenia, but I love tuberose so that suits me perfectly! This fragrance does not last on me, it is gone after 2-3 hours...alas!

helidon
helidon

Sophisticated, feminine, sensual, strong- and soft, independent, mysterious - I love it! It lasts forever on my skin, changing through a whole prism of jasmine, gardenia, tuberose and vanilla. And I am a smoker and somebody here mentioned that this smells divine on smokers -true!

TillyWave

For awhile there I was in love with Annick Goutal and their beautiful, natural, multi-faceted addictive fragrances.

Gardenia Passion, the EDT review...
On the top of this fragrance is a pleasantly bitter and alternately nutty 'gardenia' (tuberose?) accord. While I like it, it kind of falls flat. I like bitter/nutty things but this has no dimension to it.

After this fades the white gardenia comes out for about a minute. It's a soft and gentle white flower but so soft as to be almost undetectable.

Oakmoss base? After the brief white flower phase I smell almost nothing.

Where is the long, luscious trail of white flowers? All in all this perfume lasts in its entirety 2 hours on me, sometimes less, and for the last 1 1/2 hours I need to shove my nose into my wrist to smell anything. In desperation one day, after my shower, I applyed to my pulse points and then sprayed liberally, ala body spray. Then after I dressed I sprayed a cloud of Gardenia Passion about myself to get some staying power.

I succeeded in wasting about 1/6 of the bottle but little else. I won't say that I dislike this scent, but really the EDT falls flat on it's face and gets out in a hurry.

AG is way too expensive to buy with staying power like this, and I think I will take a break from exploring this house as I am becoming disenchanted with them. The moral of the story is, DO NOT BUY THIS IN EDT...

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I so wanted to try this. I like white florals. On me, this perfume's orange blossom is stronger than its other flowers.

It looks like reviewers have either tried the watered-down, whisper-soft EDT, or the juicier EDP. *Sigh!* Seems I've experienced the EDT version, because it's on and then...quick! sniff it! sniff it!...gone. It didn't even evaporate and morph into a faint powder. I can't detect any dry down scent at all. No word of a lie.

Otherwise, it's quite lovely. For about 10 minutes?

I was reading Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's opinions regarding Gardenia Passion before I went into reviewing this fragrance. They mentioned that Annick Goutal was not fond of gardenias, hence the reason as to why this fragrance is more tuberose than anything else.

I'll sum up Gardenia Passion as being a rather loud, yet beautiful white floral. I remember the moment when I first tried this fragrance some years ago. I was so very repulsed by it all. I found it much too strong, and in some ways bitter. I also felt the same way about Fracas then.

Currently I'm an avid lover of white florals, especially when they've been constructed well and come minus the synthetic components. Gardenia Passion smells natural and real to me. Almost perfection in a way. While Fracas is too buttery for my tastes, Gardenia Passion is like traipsing through a florist's shop and inhaling various floral aromas.

Gardenia Passion is rich and powdery once settled. Believe it or not, this fragrance smells absolutely divine on smokers. Despite the belief that white florals smell like 'old ladies', Gardenia Passion does not fuel this idea and instead comes across as being very seductive and elegant on the skin.

I absolutely love Passion by Annick Goutal, and in some ways Gardenia Passion is a more floral and less earthy and/or incensey version.

Despite its tendency to be rather strong, Gardenia Passion is never cloying. It has that real classic appeal, something that screams sophistication and femininity. I might also add that the lasting strength is impressive, especially for that of an EDT.

vuelo
vuelo

Similar to fracas, but a lot stronger and higher on the GARDENIA. :)

c3c
c3c

One of the truest gardenia fragrances I've had the pleasure of smelling. Pure clean gardenia, like a flower straight off the bush, dreamy. I wish it stayed as strong as the opening throughout but it fades to a much softer version. Still fabulous, except I feel like I need to keep putting more on so I can remain in my cloud of gardenia. Most likely though the people around me would appreciate the quieter side. Mmmmmm....

guest_efikillkiss
guest_efikillkiss

What a masterpiece!!. The first A.G. perfume i ever wore. A strong white floral with underlined femininity, super long lasting, a grown up scent, doesn't past unnoticed, years later i still remember it clearly, but i can't find it anymore. Heady, little spicy, well blended, sofisticated, wonderful!!.. 23-10-09, 12:57

poppy_vanderbilt
poppy_vanderbilt

I smelled this in a magazine insert about 14 years ago..at first i didn't like it because it was way to "heady" and bold for my taste...but after a while the warm buttery smell grew on me and i really liked it...one of my all time favorites is another AG frgrance Petit cherie...so recently i decided to splurge for the Gardenia passion also...i really am not that impressed with it any more...too buttery...and not very complex or interesting to me ...then again that may have to do with the fact that i found Chanel Gardenia several years ago which for me is the most perfect and beautiful gardenia scent i have ever smelled

TheNoseKnows
TheNoseKnows

Horrid (it smells like bug-spray, especially the shower gel). How disappointing in an Annick Goutal scent, especially when its name is supposed to emit freshness. Well, with this one, it's true what they say: you can wrap a pretty package, but you can't take it out.

F_A
F_A

Gardenia passion is not one of those "innocent" floral scents. It is quite strong, complex and truly not solifloral fragrance. Woman wearing Gardenia passion is romantic and mysterious, but she's independent at the same time.
What I mostly love about this fragrance is the resemblence to AG Songes in the base notes - Gardenia passion also has this very soft and powdery rice steam smell that I adore.
The staying power on my skin is great!

mathumom
mathumom

Love gardenias perfume so I gave this a try. I don't understand those who said this perfume is strong. I think that Marc Jacobs is a better fragrance. "Honeypoppyseed" gave it a dead on review of the trajectory of the notes. Maybe it is my skin since I do smell for about 5 minutes after I spray it but then alas no more after that. Was very disappointed in the fragrance. Bought it based on basically good reviews by mail. Learned a lesson in that I have to try the fragrance on first.

Heavy, strong, fairly true white florals. Dries down with too much orange blossom and the oakmoss leaves a dusty taste I can't like in this combination. But if white florals are your thing, this is a must try. You can almost feel the waxy, silky petals.

ktv0926
ktv0926

Oh, this one is soo strong! Heavy gardenia scent, it is overwhelming! I would probably like this fragrance if I spray it, then step back like 10 feet and only having this distance between us I could be able to enjoy the scent.

Mals86
Mals86

I remember being fascinated as a preteen with a gardenia our neighbor had brought to my mother. I kept sticking my nose in it and sighing with pleasure. Mom, who didn't care for the smell, finally told me to just take the darn thing to my room. And when I was old enough for perfume, the first thing I headed for was a bottle of Sand & Sable -- a big, sunny gardenia fragrance, available at our local drugstore.

Mom made me take it back, on the grounds that I wasn't old enough to wear something like that. (REally, I think she just didn't want to smell it frequently on me.) And I've been on the prowl for something like it ever since.

Gardenia Passion was the first one of the Goutals I sampled. It's very pretty, if you like Big White Florals. (Obviously, I do.) It cycles through several of the classic, heady Big White Florals -- gardenia, tuberose, jasmine, and orange blossom -- before heading for the softest vanilla drydown I've ever experienced in a fragrance. The whole thing reminds me very much of a gardenia-scented featherbed: soft enough to sink into, and very luxurious.

Now that I've made forays into the world of Big White Florals, I've found other fragrances that I like better. Goutal's Songes is more interesting and sexier; Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Beaux Arts Tubereuse is glorious. I bought a bottle of Jo Malone's Vintage Gardenia recently, charmed by its gardenia/tuberose, spice/incense contrasts. But Gardenia Passion is, indeed, lovely.

Unless you are my mother.

honeypoppyseed
honeypoppyseed

At first it smells like dirt, with hints of gardenia peaking through. Then it changes and smells entirely of dirt. Then it smells buttery, dirt, and jasmine. Then it smells like buttered popcorn.

After an hour, it smells of jasmine and a little gardenia, with hints of buttered popcorn. For at least 3 hours to follow it is a very strong white flower perfume. It doesn't smell old, although it can be a little soapy, and it could be worn for all ages. Unfortunately I really can't stand all the shifts, and really strong opening scents when one applies it.

All and all, I can't ever imagine wearing this perfume: It isn't very interesting and half the people I've asked (including myself) say it gives them a headache right between the eyes.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

If you want a very strong, sophisticated and true Gardenia... here it is. It's nice if you like heavy florals. Not for me.

Gardenia Passion by Annick Goutal 3.56 out of 5 based on 235 ratings and 51 user reviews

Sample
Gardenia Passion by Annick Goutal for Women Eau de Parfum Spray 3.4 oz
Gardenia Passion by Annick Goutal for Women Eau de Parfum Spray 3.4 oz
BeautyBar.com
Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion Eau de Toilette
Gardenia Passion Perfume by Annick Goutal, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
ANNICK GOUTAL GARDENIA PASSION for WOMEN by Annick Goutal EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.4oz
BeautyBar.com
Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Gardenia Passion by Annick Goutal. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Gardenia Passion by Annick Goutal represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.