Designers » A » Oriental Floral « Groups

Grand Amour Annick Goutal for women

Grand Amour Annick Goutal for women
dislike

Grand Amour Annick Goutal for women Pictures Grand Amour Annick Goutal for women Pictures

This fragrance Annick Goutal created for herself. It is devoted to love, the most powerful force which can move the worlds. The composition is based on three accords: floral, amber, and musk. In the floral bouquet, lily, honeysuckle, and hyacinth lead the way to Turkish rose, French jasmine, and Indian mimosa, with a touch of fruity notes. Oriental accord (amber) is represented by the notes of amber, vanilla and myrrh. In the base the sensual musk united with precious rare balsams create a very long trace.
The fragrance was created in 1996.

Honeysuckle Lily Hiacynth Turkish Rose

3 Fleurs

Grand Amour Fragrance Reviews

lilybelle911
lilybelle911

I can see why some people dislike this fragrance. It's filled with extremely lush, intense floral, pollenated, fleshy flowers. Casablanca lily isn't listed but I smell it. You either love that or it gives you migraine I love it. My husband bought Grand Amour edp and the body cream for me when we visited Paris together. The florals on the myrrh and amber base make it somewhat in the same family as Chamade. I love Chamade, too. My bottle of Grand Amour is long gone and I'm ready for another. I hope they haven't ruined it.

Angeldaisy
Angeldaisy

EDT (2011):
after reading some the reviews I was very reluctant to try this, but having just scored a vintage extrait of Chamade (of which this has been likened to) on eBay, curiosity got the better of me.

for one, i do not get any of the talked about leather, or "nasty", or civet(??) undertone. there is nothing animalic, fusty or dusty about this perfume. i am a bit confused that this is classed as an oriental???
it is a floral and it is green.
lovely flowers, the kind of flowers that in real life, would intoxicate if presented as a bouquet! but in this, they gently uplift the spirits, like a breeze across a flower garden.

this begins with is a green blast. and i love AG green. this is a green rose to begin.

then immediately after that lily, honeysuckle, hyacinth. a dusting of mimosa.
i love hyacinth, but they are the only flowers in the house that trigger asthma, so to be able to wear this (almost a hyacinth soliflore on me) is personally a real pleasure.

and by the way, i don't think it smells like Chamade Extrait. perhaps just the rose green right at the start for a moment. Chamade is a vintage that is a deeper, darker, curvaceous, Guerlain, which smells of the 1970's to me. of the ladies wearing slinky outfits and skinny eyebrows, turning up to my parent's parties.
Grand Amour is a bright, sunny, green, honeyed (broom) floral.

to summarise: a divine (mostly hyacinth) floral from start to finish, drying down to a beautiful skin scent, a touch sweet, green flowers, with a wisp of myrrh.

Lovely! really lovely.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

This perfume is melancholic,romantic and charming!. And 'evocative,for me is a great scent, I immediately liked it, with its beautiful floral notes, which are woven in full harmony with the other notes, and then what I love about this perfume is its complexity, and its only wake, like a breath of wind,sweet,romantic... nocturnal ... that dries your tears. Among the best perfumes Annick Goutal.. Fantastic.

Sillage: 6.5/10
Longevity: 8./10
Scent: 9./10

Overall: 9.5/10

Perfumeaddict777
Perfumeaddict777

I received a sample of Annick goutal grand Amour from a fragrantica member. As soon as i sprayed it i thought i smelled rubber tires, it's the leather note. Seconds later it morphed into a scary beautiful unique perfume. I smell dead leaves, crushed dried rose petals laid on a leather bed. It's cold. This perfume envoked an instant vision in my mind and this had never happened so vividly to me before. I felt like it's the fall, October, im walking through the woods at night, dead leaves crunching under my feet, and it's chilly in the air, i can feel the cold air in my nose. I walk to a clearing and in there is an old cemetary with dried roses in vases all around the head stones from there loved ones. When you smell the perfume you actually feel like your breathing in cold air! A note in the perfume plays as if the scent itself is chilly. This perfume is very artistic. It's beautiful, long lasting, great sillage. There's not very many scents that can create such intense imagery with me but this one does it. It's not something everyone will love or appreciate. It's beautifully strange. I love it

wagner`s erda
wagner`s erda

I must admit I had my problems with this fragrance. It's a very melancholic scent. The first time I wore it, it smelled like dead flowers and foliage. Definitely an old book smell kind of perfume. I was a bit split in two with it. Then I wore it a second time and then the flowers started to appear and it was really lovely, but very subtle. I wore this one yesterday and noticed a lot of heather in it. Yes, heather! I know this smell. I think there is a mistake in the notes above and instead of leather is should say HEATHER. For those of you who are not familiar with this one, heather (Erica) is a wild flower that grows on the hills in Scotland for example and you can smell it everywhere. It has a kind of damp musty lavender like smell to it. I actually have grown to like this one now and will try to wear it more often. I don't get any leather in it at all. And the good thing about it is that it is always different each time I wear it.

la louve
la louve

A harsh love.. green and crunchy... special...

r0r0
r0r0

An hour or so into wearing the edt and I ask myself "Is this love I smell; aloof, green, bitter, unfriendly and a touch sinister?" Like love in time perhaps it will sweeten up, or perhaps it will remain cold and sorrowful. Perhaps this is just the chemistry of my skin, the twist of my interpretation. I have no objections.

ayh210
ayh210

Sweet Hyacinth and honeysuckle dominate the opening. It remains overwhelmingly floral for about 2 hours before ambery notes emerge and then it warms up and becomes a sensual scent.

I didn't think I would like this scent much on opening. But it grew on me. It reminds me a small bottle of perfume I was gifted as a child. But it was such a small vial that I never wanted to waste it so i never used it and just carried the bottle everywhere and smelled it.

Sillage was moderate. Longevity - about 6 hours

LydiaLiu
LydiaLiu

I am a fan of AG for her natural characteristics. I love most of their scents that are created as girly, fresh floral, but this one is very different, it's a very classic one, which I imagine could be popular in 80's. I recommend testing it before purchase.

ta2kitty
ta2kitty

I bought this based on all the great reviews. I was especially excited about the lily note. Unfortunately, all I could smell was smoke. Very disappointed that this didn't work with my chemistry.

MadMadamMimm

I am wearing this today to celebrate fall. It is growing on me. I have reviewed this earlier, and said it reminds me of opening a trunk full of happy memories. I think I have pinpointed why that is for me. The rose, leather, and jasmine give the impression of dying flowers, like a bouquet left to dry. And that evokes for me the drying leaves of fall, as well as a trunk in which you might keep your dried bridal bouquet.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

My blind buy arrived today and I'm a very happy little vegemite! As I'm getting older, I find I'm really drawn to florals after being an oriental and leather afficianado most of my perfume loving days. Grand Amour is most suitable for a mature woman. It's reminiscent of a bygone era of big bold floral fragrances that we see less and less these days. The notes say 'oriental floral' and I guess it shares the complexities of classic fragrances such as Shocking, 24 Faubourg and Capricci. I love this one - it conjures up pictures of a night at the ballet or opera. All class!

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

EDT: With a name like Grand Amour I was anticipating a big floral smell, but I've been taken by surprise. The first half an hour, or so, is heavy on the leather, myrrh, and musk. As the dry down occurs some florals begin to emerge until I can make out the hyacinth, mimosa, lily and rose. This perfume is flowers with incense and leather that has a dark, fresh dewiness that lasts for a good 12 hours. It's not sexy and it's not flirty, to me this beauty alludes confidence wrapped in a sensual mysteriousness and sophistication. I'm really enjoying this perfume and am looking to try the EDP as well. Big love for AG!

sky hype
sky hype

I don't know why, but for me Grand Amour is a deja-vu trigger that gives me that crazy feeling: it's so reminiscent of something - not a perfume - but emotions, time, place, people... I can't put my finger on it and remember what exactly it reminds me of. This is absolutely weird, like getting a glimpse of your previous (or next!) lifetime! This perfume is definitely not the one for pleasing others around you, it evokes your inner grace and harmony, makes you feel different, transports you to the deepest lanes of your own mind, it's ethereal, it's atmospheric and it's mysterious.

On the personal side - to me it's 70s in Hong Kong. I don't know why. Don't ask. I was born in 90s in Moscow, but this is what this perfume makes me think of: silk qipao dress, jade kitten-heels, mahjong room full of cigarette smoke, harbour air... Oriental, but not in a typical way.

Thank you, Annick Goutal.

(This review is for EDP version. EDT is much more transparent and seems to be a little sweeter and ambery at the same time, which doesn't create the same effect I was describing above but still has a little bit of that vibe).

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

Grand Amour is a little too contrasting for me. The sweet flowers end up trodden on by the leather, myrh and amber.
I absolutely get the comparison with Guerlains Chamade. Chamade was a favourite of mine, years ago. Now I struggle with it as well. I will file both under Like as they would be very pleasant on the right person but not for me, at this time

candidenise
candidenise

I wanted to buy this perfume after reading the description online at Goutal website. Because of the price, I thought it would be a good idea to get a sample first to see if I would really like it. Sadly, this is not for me. I have tried it two days in a row to give it a fair chance, and I just don't like it.
I love flower perfume, but this is just too much. when i wear it, I am hit with a strong rose smell mixed with something else I can not identify. The more I smell it, the more it makes my stomach hurt. I suggest sampling before making this expensive purchase.

georgetaylor
georgetaylor

I wish I could say I tried this and loved this, I really wanted to!

Annick Goutal is irrefutably an outstanding perfume house. However, this one hits a very weird, aromatic, sharp note that dominates the other smells, when I wear it.

At first, it smells very strong, intriguing, fresh, a lot like roses. But a strong herbal smell dominates the rest, sort of pushes everything else aside. Once it dries out, it is leathery, vanilla roses dominated by that sharp, zesty herb smell. Maybe it is the lydia broom? The base smell is so pleasing, that herbal smell is an unfortunate thorn in the composition.

I don't like it. I will stick with Songes!

diako
diako

In my opinion one of the best brands in the world but not this perfume are all admirable brand perfumes

MadMadamMimm

This perfume is a bit mature for me, with that scent of spicy floral baby powder common to 1920s perfumes. It dries down in a much softer scent that makes me think of opening an old trunk filled with party clothes from a happy night decades before. I doubt it will ever be my scent, but it smells wonderful on my mother (who gave me this bottle).

becuille
becuille

If you've seen the movie Minority Report, there's a greenhouse in it where an elderly reculisve doctor lovingly grows all kinds of weird and wonderful plants. When Tom Cruise steps into it, the palatte of the film changes to a murky grey/green and the plants seem to watch him as he moves. This perfume smells like I imagine that greenhouse to smell.

It opens as a slightly dank, earthy green. Like a plant that needs to be watered. Then it develops into a soft floral, with bitter hyacinth dominating and a sweet tang of honeysuckle in the background. There's an indolic jasmine that gradually gets louder and louder, giving off a fairly potent animalic vibe. Then we have a spicy rose popping in and out at seemingly random times.

The whole air is of something old and musty that you just can't help but open the door to in order to find out what past beauties have been held there.

Do I like it? I have no idea. The indoles are a bit much for my personal tastes. But there's a lot that's good and interesting going on. I could spend a lot of time sniffing at this and being enchanted by the variations that occur. But, I don't think I enjoy it being on my skin.

It's an odd one.

Fhaldara
Fhaldara

This is a little too sweet for me. I get the roses as it opens but it quickly goes to an amber/vanilla finish on me - I get very little musk and no myrrh at all. I really wanted to like it, and I will give it a few more tries but I highly doubt I'll ever buy it again.

Q80
Q80

Grand Amour gives me the impression of a private plant nursery that is used for cosmetics experiments, mostly for anti-aging purposes. grassy, rooty, and dusti on a very delicate silky face cream made of flowers. very rare and kind of fancy.

zymryte.shaqiri
zymryte.shaqiri

This fragrance reminds me strong to Rouge Hermes

andabri
andabri

I've tried a handful of Annick Goutal fragrances, and most are simplistic and realistic plant based fragrances. Most smell like florals and/or greenery. Grand Amour does not.

It smells of florals and powder and soap, with the powder dominating. The first 15 seconds were exciting for me, I smelled a pretty realistic Turkish Rose and Hyacinth over a powder base, then the powder dominates, the soap comes into play and the floral is a vague undertone of the indistinguishable variety.

Not a bad composition, but not outstanding or even special. It's pretty and light and inoffensive, which can make it a crowd pleaser, but I wouldn't shell out money to own it.

citypark
citypark

Only in the last year I purchased GRAND AMOUR. Now in this early crisp summer I can appreciate it better than in colder weather. It starts green flowery and bitter. Somehow the dominant lily troubles me more here, I also get the honeysuckle with its sweet note. The hyacinth is more in the background, if you want a strong hyacinth then look out for Carolina Herrera (the original). It develops earthy and powdery and after a few hours only a faint smell is left on the skin, while it is quite strong in the beginning. I find it also good for sport as it blooms then.

Lana148
Lana148

Grand Amour is a striking, mysterious fragrance. Unique, unlike anything else I've tried before. Bitter greens with floral background. Floral scent is quite mixed so nothing really stands out. To tell you the truth, I don't even want to know what's there, I just want to close my eyes and enjoy it.
Grand Amour is indeed a big love - deep and passionate, but kind of love that demands restrain. The love that is forbidden or has no happy ending. Big love with a sad eyes.
Beautiful, elegant fragrance.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Grand Amour is a crisp spring floral. The hyacinth is dry and cool; it is reminiscent of Jacamo Silences, which is a cool galbanum rich hyacinth-centric scent. I think that GA is warmer than Silences, especially as it dries down. After 2 hours, the hyacinth has a lightly indolic smell (think fading spring flowers, not rotten, but starting to brown). I also smell something like hay and dry, green peaches. I see broom listed among the notes, and assume that is the hay-like note; it gives a lightly pastoral feel (unlike Silences, which feels more like a cemetery—in a good way!). The peaches I smell—could that be the mimosa?

As this further evolves, I get the tannic softness of the leather note, which to me further builds on the pastoral sense I got earlier from the broom. This is a “countryside spring picnic” or “Sunday afternoon drive in the country” kind of smell. The leather is there in a subtle way…it is kind of like Kelly Caleche, only with an inversion of notes; where KC is more leather and less floral, GA is more floral and less leather. They give me a similar sense of country sophistication.

Grand Amour is, sadly like all of the Goutal fragrances I’ve tried, short lived. It is fading within 3 hours to a very faint scent. Sillage was fair, although I might be underestimating that (as I find cool lily fragrances project more than I give them credit). Very pretty and elegant.

Lily2911
Lily2911

This was one of my forgotten favourites in the 90´s and thanks to a swap with another lovely member, i acquired it again and oh my, how could i have forgotten her. I agree ir is not an easy perfume to wear : it is not just a floral but not a real oriental either. The incredible green opening of hyacinth and honeysuckle might intimidate certain persons. The jadmin provides a bit sweetness and powdery character but it is not a huge indolic interpretation, remains soft. I just love that contrast between that fresh green opening and the powdery, lush sweet leather dry down. It is a distinct and sophisiticated frag i really love and i prefer the EDP version, it has much more body and longevity and with a very rich and warm dry down! A must try of AG house !!!

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

"Grand Amour" is a great favorite of mine.
Voluptuous lily, jasmine, honeysuckle and rose, with a slight powdery finish. No fruity hints at all, no sugary notes: just luscious flowers in the top and heart notes, and unsmiling vanilla and myrrh in the background.
Great sillage and very good longevity on my skin.
Very elegant and a bit melancholic, in my opinion.

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

I really wanted to like this one. I tried it out in a large department store and really think that the bottle must have turned. All I could smell was a dark, bitter and very unpleasant smell. I love heavy hitters and own many but I just could not wait to scrub this one off. My friends who were with me said it smelled like dirty underwear which makes me think that it must have turned. Probably stored incorrectly. What a shame as I am sure that I would have loved this. I am going to try another store and another bottle.

chayaruchama
chayaruchama

Like many of the earlier Goutals - because of a preponderance of natural materials, these fragrances are well-known for 'turning' even when well-stored.
My bottle has aged over time, but deepened, rather than altering significantly.

I smell a full-bodied, billowing floral which is distinctly indolic and lush. Some days it can feel over-the-top, but mostly it feels gloriously unapologetic and womanly.

spidola
spidola

Grand Amour! is elegant green floral. It’s compared to Chamade, which I prefer honestly. Grand Amour! is sharper and greener, Chamade is more soapy and rounder due to aldehydes I guess. In Grand Amour!dominates the hyacinth. If you do not have the possibility to test the perfume, you can go to the flower's shop and smell the fresh hyacinth – you get exactly the opening of Grand Amour!. Then it settles down in a bit sweeter base, but remains faithful to its green soul.
I love others Annick Goutal creations!

Amanda_Santana
Amanda_Santana

Voluptuous! Reminds me of some Demimonde salon in fin de siècle Paris. It's strong and not for everyday. But it's beautiful and lush and I'm feeling quite hedonistic right now!

a huge floral bouquet. i find it heavy, but likable. i actually get more of the lily then hyacinth, but it is definitely there. the rose is also a big player to my nose. i like this in cooler weather due to it's heaviness and lasting power which on me is almost 8 hours. projection is moderate with a lovely dry down.
thank you to my fragrance pal for gifting me this lovely bottle.

brada
brada

very elegant,but not for me.It's too much "hyacinth".

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Grand Amour is, to me, a lovely scent, very "Spring" in essence. I'm enjoying it. Lovely Hyacinth with a tinge of leather that gives it a bit of edge. However, I can not see the comparison to Guerlain Chamade. Nothing that I have ever smelled comes close to reminding me of Chamade. But GA is an elegant scent, nonetheless.

Henriette
Henriette

I have tested wrist to wrist the present Chamade and Grand Amour.
The present Chamade is a pale ghost of what it used to be. I hope Monsier Wasser will come up with a better reformulation as this version does do Chamade no justice at all.
Grand Amour compared to Chamade is stronger and greener in the opening.
Chamade is more flowery in the opening.
Grand Amour proceeds with the greenery and then develops the flowers as a second step, the flowers starting to become more and more prominent as the fragrance settles down.
Chamade develops the green note after the flowers, totally contrary to Grand Amour, but the harmony is very similar.
Grand Amour arrives at the drydown with the green notes still there, just a little less strong, the flowers still prominent, some soap and some powder and all the woods. All together for a grand finale. A wonderful melody from beginning to end never lacking tension, never pausing, never stopping, going on and on for long.
Chamade, the current one, arrives at the drydown much faster than Grand Amour.
If you are fond of the old Chamade this is not only a grand alternative, but a winning scent in every respect.
Grand Amour is a rich floral made in a rich style, a sumptuous bouquet that might be too much if worn every day, but certainly perfect for formal occasions or when you want to feel special. Even today, yes, why not?

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

This is a GRAND floral bouquet. It's has quite a bite. There are so many flowers coming at you it is hard to specify the one that is strongest. This is definitely spring personified..lovely but nothing so special..

Happy Perfuming!

Most of all I feel the hyacinth and mimosa notes in this fragrance.

I don't like it. It's boring and bitter. Just unpleasant(

Kione
Kione

Aaah, classy, soapy, elegant, maybe 90's green soft perfume. Immediate crush! A floral with an edge, the myrrh does the trick, can't detect leather.
Not sexy, but gorgeous and sophisticated.
I love it!
Thanks to a very generous fragrantican...
Update: It doesn't last very long, only dawnfall :(

miaou
miaou

When i smell this, my heart beats faster, no kidding. I feel the same way when i listen to Tchaikovskiy, or other great classics! This is a very sad perfume, like a love story without a happy ending. And this is the most beautiful and realistic hyacinth in a perfume i've ever tried. Definitely bottle-worthy. I have EDT.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

This isn't quite what I was expecting. It is a very pretty floral, but that synthetic leather note throws me off a little bit. It also doesn't smell like hyacinths as I know them; I mostly get lily from this. The opening is rather harsh, but it dries down into something much prettier that wears very close to the skin. These aren't fresh-blooming flowers to me, more of dried flowers that have been pressed in an old journal. This tends more toward the mature end of the spectrum, although I think I can still pull it off in the right weather. Perhaps this is best-suited for colder days? While floral, it still has a warmth to it that I can't really put my finger on (could be the leather, could be the resin). I don't know that this is one my boyfriend would particularly care for. It wasn't the true hyacinth fragrance I was looking for, but it's an excellent fragrance in its own way.

relle
relle

Huge gorgeous bouquet on me. No leather or vanilla. Nothing close to melancholy L'Heure Bleue. The opening is lush lily, settling down to a softer honeysuckle/scotch broom concoction. (Broom blooms in my yard in the summer, no wonder I like this juice.) With the edt, I've gone over 6 hours with it still detectable. I'd color this one sunny yellow.

Guest_stephanie.hamrick
Guest_stephanie.hamrick

On me, this is vanilla, amber, and a blend of florals I can't pick apart. I know a lot of people talk about AGs not lasting very long, but I sprayed this before going in to work at noon, and at 10pm it's a very close skin scent, but it's here. There's a certain formality to its character that I'm not sure I'd wear day to day, but it's a nice scent for a dinner date or something.

mirisfrik
mirisfrik

I don't get any leather, amber or vanilla at this one. On my skin it smells like pure violet. Not bad, but I expected a lot more from one nieche fragrance.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

Someone here gave me a sample of this fragrance. This was not in my want list but it is now. I love soapy florals but it seems to me that everything I encountered until this was lacking something. This is exactly the kind of soapy I was looking for---green, with enough tingle of soap, then very natural florals in one concoction. My disappointment with Petit Cherie and Eau du Sud made me ignore the rest of the Goutals but I see now that I judged too quickly.

If I can actually see myself committing to one fragrance for many years, it would smell somewhat like this. The lily here is very lovely and perfect with the leather and I don't know what Lydia broom is but if it is what makes this kinda woody and prickly, then I love it.

This would make a good bridal fragrance. It smells white and dainty and pure.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

I tend to favor florals over fruity ones, but this floral is way too heady for me. I am struggling to make a sapient impression out of it as I sniffed it in because the intial whiff had a headache-inducing effect on me. Yet let me start with a good note, I get a picture of freshly cut grass on the meadows with white flowers sporadically scattered around, blooming under a beautiful, clear sky. There is indeed the soft and powder notes later on the drydown. I find the hyacinth flower beautiful, but I just now discovered, after taking this on a testrun, that the loud hyacinth note here is my perfume kryptonite. I am sorry to be a party pooper here but I think despite the harmony in its accord, I am gonna take a pass on a bottle of AG GA.
Ps. Thank you justas for the sample. :)

Peachply
Peachply

I scored an EDP off fragrancenet.com for a GREAT price!

It's been years since I've worn it and I wanted something new for spring well this is wonderful...I love the Hyacinth and get some rose, powder and maybe iris. The Hyacinth is very softly blended over so it lacks the usual sharpness I dislike with this note, it's powdery here and I LOVE it!
You can detect different notes clearly yet they blend so beautifully as if dancing in harmony. Marvelous combination that can be worn any time of year.

What I LOVE about this is it feels like it becomes a part of me, I don't feel I am wearing a fragrance. The best!

Amber Forever
Amber Forever

I recently got this perfume, om me it is powdery, elegant and melancholic. At first I can feel the hyacinth and only it ( which i love btw ), but at a later stage comes out a sweet bouquet, which brings me thoughts of lonelyness and longing, like a forgotten love story covered by the dust of time..
This scent is just beautiful and sad, very sad, not sexy at all. As for the name - it goes very well with the aroma, this perfume makes me blue ...
However on me it stays about 6 hours, which is good. And yes as was written in the other reviews it reminds of L' heure bleue..

missliberty11
missliberty11

I just took this out of my (well populated) fragrance cupboard again. Grand amour was bought in a time that was not so nice for me, so I must have put it away. Amazing how perfumes really evoke emotions in you. Now two and a half years later (and me much happier, happily married and mum of a beautiful baby boy), I took it out and sprayed it on my skin. Wow, this is the best example how fragrances mix well with your body chemistry! The first sniff reveals something balmy and powdery, but gentle and soft. After a few minutes, I can smell fresh flowers - honeysuckle and hyacinth come out well, then more layered the lily. I have to admit that I can rarely distinguish the many layers in a perfume, often getting the synthetic smell overall. But Annick Goutal Grand amour smells so comforting in all its complexity. It is not overpowering or too heavy. I don't get anything grassy or green at all, although it does remind me a bit of Chanel Cristalle which is considered a green fragrance. This is a beautiful scent for a woman in her late 30s who knows what she wants and has established herself in her life. It's for a woman who is content and zen, who spreads love and elegance in simplicity. She does not need to be feisty nor aggressive to get her points across.
Having been a self-proclaimed perfume junkie since youth, I have tried for so long to find the 'right' scent for me. I concluded that I have had and still have several signature scents. For me, a perfume wraps me in emotions and memories. Hence, the choice of a perfume depends on mood and season. I currently wear Chanel Coco eau de parfum, sometimes Gaultier classique and I just tried Chanel Chance. In summer, I go with Illuminum White Gardenia Petals or, Creed Love in White. But Annick Goutal Grand amour will stay a regular part of my wardrobe. It is simply exquisite. You won't meet many women with the same fragrance, since this is definitely a beautiful niche perfume. It is wearable in the office and outside, it's discreet enough if it suits your skin chemistry. I recommend to test this first on your skin before you commit to buy, as it might not suit everyone.

grasslands
grasslands

I'm a big Annick Goutal fan but Grand Amour isn't for me. To me this reads as a very sharp green floral with lots of cut grass, hyacinth with stems, and later some indolic jasmine. It pretty much stayed like that all the way through. Maybe what I interpret as sharp green, like a galbanum note, is the leather that other people are getting. I don't get any sweetness at all in this scent. I did get a tomato leaf note at the start, which I don't mind, but it's the hyacinth that kills it for me. While I normally find anything with a prominent hyacinth note in it to be a scrubber, it's a testament to the Annick Goutal brand that I was able to wear it all day without choking or headaches. This was a blind buy, as per usual. Thankfully I have an aunt who likes these kind of florals, so it looks like she'll be getting another.

Edit: Well two years later, I haven't given it to my aunt. This smells quite different to me now. It's nowhere near as sharp or green as I had first thought; it smells sweeter. Hyacinth, so difficult then, is one of my favourite notes now.I get a lot of buttery lily and hyacinth and a warm sweetish amber in the drydown. It's still a demanding fragrance for me, but I'm glad I kept it and learned to see it's particular beauty.

Sissi
Sissi

Grand Amour Conjours an Image of long slender fingers clad in Black leather gloves slowly
Caressing a Bouquet of white Lillies as she walked Solemnly through a Stone
Pathed heavily weeded almost derelict Sematary, I can Detect the Note of Iris
In Grand Amour It's cold sharpness A perfect Metaphor for her tears gently
streaming under her Diaphanous black Veil Or Angel statues made of
Marble soaked after an Autumn rain Reveled in it's scent of musty Asphalt,
The Red rose's Blood pouring out from it's sinuous Petals drained of color
Leaves a Deepy Spicy aroma Leads her to a Tombstone of a Long forgotten 20's
Matinee Idol, frozen in time at the age of 31 A small black and white photograph with a Gold edging Fashioned in a Oval A Swarthy Handsome Man
Slender Hair Combed Back almost with a Leather Glisten, round Bedroom eyes
Of Dark Brown Gazed upon her in a trace she fell in lust for him so she
gently raised her veil Revealing her pale Alabaster Placed the Already soaked Bouquet of Lillies on the ground and slowly kissed His tombstone, Leaving a
Lipstick Stain of Aubergine, When it started to rain she opened her Umbrella
and as she was Walking though the Pouring rain she heard a Beautiful Hymn coming from a nearby Church MEMORARE, O piissima Virgo Maria, Tears Again
Filled from her eyes as she walked farther away from the Semetary.

Grand Amour & L'heure Bleue are Sisters of Melancholic Perfumes.

mylancome
mylancome

Don't know how to describe this perfume with words, but definately one of Annick Goutal's must buy.

Update 12.11.12: Yes! Sissi rings my bell, it's smells familiar to L'Heure Bleue EDP. A more modern and more expensive version.

phyrexianc
phyrexianc

After I had read the reviews I thought I had found a nice leather scent. However, I got only a lot of sharp green for the first 1,5 hours. After that it became a soft leathery scent, but only just a little leathery and it was combined with some soft, fresh and floral notes. This is not what I had expected and not what I like. I recommend you try before you buy.

daisyM
daisyM

Does "Big love" entail a significant dose of S&M activities? For Annick Goutal, it seems the answer is yes. While I do like some leathery florals, such as Anglomania and Bandit, Grand Amour almost makes me hear a whip slithering... To each his own I guess.

miet
miet

The Turkish rose in the EDT really stands out to me in this fragrance-that and the green note that is so strong early on reminds me of Jacomo Silences, but with a more subdued rose/floral note. I can only describe the opening as a tangy, pungent rose with a green, resinous heart. Later the leather and mimosa are more apparent. I like it- it is a complex odor with distinct phases that make it interesting.

inkywinky
inkywinky

this starts out with a very sharp green smell. Something like freshly cut grass. Too strong for me at the beggining. But after 40 minutes, it calms down and you get a very light floral smell , which is very pleasent. But the dry down is absolutely wonderful . Soft floral with a tinge of sweetness to it and not too powdery. I like to put on my body lotion first then apply a very very small spritz of the Grand amour. I think this bottle of 100ml EDT is gonna last me for a few years.Overall it is a good perfume, but not for everyone. It has a very unique distinctive smell.

Chibichaca
Chibichaca

So lovely and elegant. It starts out very green; all you smell is the hyacinth for a while. Leather and sweet flowers join the composition but the hyacinth is ever-present throughout the life of the scent. It appears to be unusally strong, at least on me, as it lasted a good 12 hours; by the end I felt like I had overdosed on the sweetness a bit.

kerini
kerini

Grand Amour opens with a bright floral bouquet of hyacinth, lily and honeysuckle. Unfortunately, after a few moments a thick leather comes in and overpowers everything else. Only a hint of jasmine still peeks through for a while before even that gets buried.
Too leathery on me to be the least bit enjoyable.

It seems to turn out quite differently on people, not a safe blind buy!

artsymom
artsymom

Powdery and soapy on my skin. It does remind me of Jessica McClintock, which I actually like much better. This one is just strong and unpleasant- almost like hairspray. Very disappointed it didn't work for me because I was hoping for a realistic hyacinth scent, but I assume it is skin chemistry :(

Mimmi
Mimmi

Hyacinth and honeysuckle are florals I like. Usually I find them in in fresh, light or green compositions. Here they have a darker, warmer, background. Dense myrrh and sweet amber are deepening down to a shade that reveals a hint of leather. Very soft but very black leather, like perfectly fitted almost buttery soft gloves.
On my skin this broad accord plays simply beautiful.
What Goutal does with these flowers reminds me a bit of how Caron pairs the rose with warm myrrh in Parfum Sacre. Except there is no incense here, instead the animalistic element with the sensual leather makes Grand Amour manifest more profane suggestions. Pure indulgent sensuality to my nose.
Downside is the lasting-power, it clings forever to scarves and clothes, but to skin it needs reapplying after 4-5 hours.

lara0905
lara0905

What a lovely fragrance!!! I absolutely amazed!
First, when I'm opened the bottle I was a bit scared, because just a big citrus blast came to my nose..but after it just surprised me...I put it on my wrist, and the opening was full with energy ( I got the hyacinth and the honeysuckle with some citrus note), but it's settled down to a soft, calming flowery drydown.( I got the lily, jasmine and soft powdery hyacint undertone..) It's stays close to my skin.This gorgeous beauty is reminds me of Salvador Dali Purplelight a lot.So,I didn't regret to buy this and I think, I'll keep this fume in my collection.:)

michali
michali

It starts really beautiful on me
but after a few seconds comes the lethear
and kills it for me.
Might be my skin chmistry or the weather
or simply the leather.

Louw
Louw

I bought this when I was on holiday in Singapore and loved it - the notes of rose, jasmine and mimosa seemed perfect in the lovely Singaporean climate and the holiday mood. When I wore it back home, however, it just seemed a bit lacklustre and I'm sorry to say I got bored of it very quickly.

I still think it's a very nice scent but it's not interesting enough to hold my attention and in my opinion it's not worth the price.

adrienn99
adrienn99

this might has to do with the chemistry but smells like fresh-cut pumpkins (the big orange ones).

wish i liked pumpkins...

JubliantUvula
JubliantUvula

It opens with a woody rose. The rose soon fades and allows the woodyness with leather to shine through.

This was my first venture into the world of Annick Goutal. Strangely the whole time I felt like I was wearing someone else's perfume. It never felt like it was mine. Somehow it tried to make me uneasy so i would give it back to its owner.

Nice and very deep, but it never loved me as I thought it might, or loved me Grand!

VintageLady
VintageLady

I think that Grand Amour's style allows to be used by a woman who feels complete, but can also young women, but actually the result of its notes makes me see that within each one there is a love that lasts and is enlarged, as I feel in this perfume, where the myrrh is letting that flowers as hyacinth and honeysuckle live in harmony, and it expresses a balance in woman with love, sensuality and a pure caress.

icekat
icekat

This was my first venture into the world of Annick Goutal. Unfortunately I just do not have the right skin chemistry for GRAND AMOUR.
At first I got beautiful hyacinth and lily fragrance but in less than one minute the leather tone came through and took over completely. I got hints of jasmine but it did not compliment the leather well. As this leathery smell developed it became more and more like civet with strong animalistic undertones. On top of it the scent turned a bit soapy.

This scent brings an image of a leather jacket dropped in the grass and then scrubbed with soap.

When the dry down came in, the leather accent finally calmed down and the myrrh came through. I actually like the myrrh in this fragrance. It is light, airy and dreamy.

I know that some fragrances turn leathery on me and I do not mind it. But this one just does not work. I bought this fragrance based on reviews looking for a nice natural floral green scent. This is not what I have experienced. My suggestion is to get a sample before buying. I am sure it smells gorgeous on other people but if you have the same luck as I, you will be in a mild shock if you buy it blind like I did.

UPDATE: My mom tried this fragrance and it is gorgeous on her. The start is fresh and green but a bit sweet. The most incredible thing is when the heart notes bring the leather accent, it is very mild and sophisticated. It is like green florals with just a touch of leather. I cannot even describe it but it smells beautiful. I gave this bottle to my mom as she absolutely fell in love with it.

Cereza
Cereza

Extremely sweet at the opening, honeysuckle together with mimosa and some lovely green notes. The jasmin here is sweet, but somehow very green, I can feel jasmin leaves here.
I do not feel this to be an oriental floral, for me it's more floral, lovely sweet floral.
I'm not sure wether I love it or not as it's maybe little bit too sweet and too much of everything, but I can say that the flowers are blended very well together. It is very easy to wear, very romantic and dreamy.
I love how the sillage is very good and how it lingers beautifuly from my wrist reminding me of spring, sun and happyness.
I don't understand why it's called "Grand Amour" as there's nothing GRAND about it. Dreamy, lovely, green flowers.

Worth a try!

Grand Amour, is in my opinion, quite distinct when compared to Annick Goutal's other fragrances.

There's something oddly green in this composition. It's pretty and feminine in a different way than what I'm used to. I can sense an abundance of watery lillies, green grass, honeyed leather, sweet mimose and jasmine, and a slightly chemical vanilla. In other words, a very unique green floral.

Well unlike other reviewers, I don't find this fragrance too heavy or too chaotic. I rather like its quirky little characteristics. I'm rather enchanted by its natural Spring-like freshness.

Like Ninfeo Mio, Grand Amour makes me think of a garden, a luscious green one. As it develops further there's a subtle soapiness and a touch of metallic coldness.

In the drydown there are occasional wafts of rich amber and vanilla, however on my skin, Grand Amour remained pretty and green. This fragrance is not really an oriental in my humble opinion. Well, certainly not oriental when compared to Goutal's Les Orientalistes series.

I can't say that this is my favourite fragrance from this beloved house of mine, (Passion still reigns supreme, shortly followed by Heure Exquise), but for what it's worth I haven't managed to dislike an Annick Goutal fragrance yet, (touch wood). Grand Amour just goes on to prove that this is an unstoppable house with such a variety to choose from.

TillyWave
TillyWave

Just when I thought that Annick Goutal could do not wrong, and that I would just blindly purchase every fragrance in their line...

I procured a 1.0 oz bottle of the EDP, and tested three times. It is a really...thick scent. And it must be the hyacinth that just becomes soul curdling for me. Every time I had to wash it off.

My little square bottle started just staring at me, and eventually I had to abandon it. Hopefully it found a better home.

I don't know if the EDT is a different story. Oh well.

Love is in the air, Annick Goutal GRAND AMOUR, to be precise. I was looking for love in what was supposed to be an oriental perfume, but I found it instead in this voluptuous floral green.

GRAND AMOUR opens big and flowery: dark jasmine, heavy lily and dewy honeysuckle mingle together initially, and as the composition settles down, green grassy hyacinth erupts in billowy clouds of sillage that keep traveling up my neck to my nose, as if to remind me over and over again that I really am wearing perfume, not just another frag.

At long last, I finally understand the enthusiasm of so many AG fans. Very glad that I did not dismiss this line after three strikes, else I would have missed this. Looking back, from my new exalted vista, having seen the AG light after traveling so long and so far through dark tunnels in the night, I recognize that it's quite possible, in fact, that the first couple of samples I tried were insipid reformulations... GRAND AMOUR, rest assured, is the real thing!

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

This is the edt .... I find it soft and angelic, in the same family with Eau du Ciel of course.... main note is hyacinth and honeysuckle, as others have noticed, mixed with fresh cut grass. The jasmine is there, somewhere in the middle, mimosa and rose are barely noticeable, more like a soft wind breeze from far away. What is interesting about this perfume is that despite the notes and smell, this is not a green perfume, or a cold one. There is something very warm about it, something that gets even warmer in about 30 minutes. I suppose this is when the drydown occur; fast, because on me the scent is short lived. Amber, very faint vanilla and some sort of spice, or resin, maybe cinnamon, appear, mixing beautifully with the floral notes.
I think this is a masterpiece. Yes, it's airy, but I think most of Annick Goutal's creations are. It's a beauty which perhaps does not evoke hot passion, but some sort of spiritual love, and a promise of sensuality. Like a dream, an infatuation, a yet to be fulfilled desire. Love it!
P.s. I cannot put my finger on it, but having visited Vienna I want to tell you, although it might seem totally random.... There is something utterly Viennese about this perfume! Pure class.

mocha43
mocha43

I got a sample of it and on me, it is not overpowering but, also, not exciting. For such a complex formula, I expected it to be more spicey. I have no desire to buy a bottle of it.

adele l

Don't get the 'personal' note with this fragrance. It's a very nice, inoffensive jasmine on me. That said I find it rather uninteresting- it's merely pleasant

adele l

Jasmine which dries down to baby powder on me-don't get the animalic undertones-rather sweet and soft

ppatter
ppatter

Lovely fragrance! Very floral. I smell the honeysuckle and jasmine quite strongly. Do not smell the vanilla. Smells very feminine.

Geri
Geri

It's a nice scent for older ladies, walking through offices and try to appear sexy. Unfortunately it was a bit too strong for my personal taste, like there had been thrown too many notes in a big bowl.

liquidiridium
liquidiridium

Soft & sweet, but the base note of myrrh leaves a slightly "off" smell. like a sickly mint. It isn't horrible, just a little off-putting.

milena
milena

beautiful scent, i love it, divine.

TheNoseKnows
TheNoseKnows

Oh, how I tried to like it. But, yes, it smells personal, and not in a good way. Presumptuous, and also not in a good way. Powdery. Maybe some day. Not today.

MoietToi
MoietToi

I tried this one on and despite the fact that my friend said that this one smells like hairspray I have to disagree. For some reason the fragrance smells very dark and spicy and not at all floral on me. But still to me this is quiet a sexy scent I would probabilly buy it but it's kinda pricey. Maybey some day when I have saved up enough money.

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

I just can't appreciate this fragrance properly...I find it cloying on my skin and too sweetly floral. I think it could smell very pretty on the right person, but that person is NOT me! :)

Grassy hyacinth and honeysuckle with an under-lying note that is too close to civet for me. It smells...personal and not in a good way. That nasty undertone ruins what could be a nice, very lovely floral fragrance.