Designers » A » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Mandragore Annick Goutal for women and men

Mandragore Annick Goutal for women and men
dislike

Mandragore Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Mandragore Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures

Mandragore by Annick Goutal is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Mandragore was created by Isabelle Doyen and Camille Goutal. Top notes are bergamot and pepper; middle notes are mint, star anise, ginger, sage and iris; base notes are boxwood and labdanum.

Bergamot Pepper

Boucheron pour Homme Collector Eau de Parfum

Mandragore Fragrance Reviews

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

this starts off light and green with star anise, then it gets fairly peppery on me and there's something a little odd and unrecognizable to me. maybe it's boxwood? i don't think i've ever tried that note in a scent before now. i am trying this on a hot day and it seems like a good summer scent-peppery citrus. the iris gets more intense as time goes on and by this point the pepper has died down and it's mostly a citrus-iris scent. it reminds me of that vintage makeup scent mixed with citrusses, it's soft and not overpowering and very refreshing. great warm weather scent! :)

ketoile
ketoile

I just got a tester of this and was expecting something deeper and more mysterious; on my skin it smells very zesty and citrus-y, a bit sharp, even. Hanging on to it for another attempt.

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

Sharp, tart herbal opening. Invigorating and slightly medicinal; wakes you up! I can really smell the mint early on. As the top fizzes off it turns more green in a soapy, masculine way. Bright but with some body and warmth. Very dry and aromatic during the drydown. A really unusual fragrance and not what I'd associate with "perfume"; it's like something you'd splash on your body after a long night out and you want to wake up ready for the day. It's an update of old school citrus/herbal colognes, like 4711 or Florida Water, but it lasts quite a bit longer than either of those. Smells like my image of Greece; a white bright day, citrus groves mixed with aromatic herbs in the dry breeze. Cheerful, energetic, and a lot of fun.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I don't think this is as green/fresh and summery as most reviews here seem to describe. To me this is warm orange pekoe tea stirred with a black licorice stick. This is orange first, anise second and ginger and pepper last. While (very) mildly spicy, it is light and transparent. Because of this, this is good for layering with a stronger, spicier scent (this pairs well with Tom Ford Noir and Tuscan Leather). When worn alone, I agree with everyone that the projection and longevity is on the weak side. But it is very natural smelling, and it gives off an expensive aura. On a masculine/feminine scale, this tips slightly more masculine to me. Bottom line, a very nice, high quality fragrance. I blind bought on eBay for a crazy cheap price and couldn't be happier with it. Thumbs way way up.

tandaina
tandaina

UGH.

Must be my skin because on me this smells like nothing so much as orange pez. It's horrid.

ayh210
ayh210

The opening smells like a mojito (lime and mint) + anise all muddled together. It's incredibly fresh, invigorating and vivacious. But then the lime and mint quickly fade to give way to anise which seems to overpower everything else for a while and it becomes far too licorice-y for my taste.

I never liked licorice. In a bag of jelly beans I would always throw the licorice ones away. So to smell of something I hated for a day would be like punishment.
Thankfully (or not depending on if you like it) sillage and longevity are both low.

Wysteria
Wysteria

This is a very original perfume, all about herbs and spices. I really get the bergamot, staranise, mint and ginger in a realistic way.

I think it's a really good summertime fragrance for those who don't want an aquatic fresh summer scent.

mrsg34
mrsg34

A beautiful scent from Annick Goutal, one of many. I love the mint in this with the anis, I like all of it. The only thing I don't like is the longevity, I'm lucky to get an hour as a skin sent, so sad as it's a keeper fragrance on smell alone.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Opening "pungent" due to pepper and immediately intrigued me .. after a while come into play the other notes and is something truly magical .. like a spell, opening initial pungent, evolves as magically if you are thrown on a forest, with a magic potion in his hands running through the woods ... After a while it becomes a kind of perfume Amaro/Spicy with a light background of Iris and Sage .. really sublime! The mint gives freshness to the composition. I am very passionate about the fragrances of Annick Goutal, and this fragrance I like, I really like .. is also mysterious and slightly dusty. (Just like the plant), looking, light and woody, with a hint of magic ..... Unfortunately the sillage is very soft, and the average longevity (3-4-hour on me) .. but still it another masterpiece Goutal. I'd like to use it for the days of spring or summer ...! I like, and I think that will become part of my collection!

Sillage: 5/10
Scent: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10

pattyk
pattyk

Blind buy. Worth it! I like that mint sniff it has in it. It makes the whole scent fresh and clean but yet it's more complex than that. A well rounded "keeper" scent for me. Happy for the purchase. I like ginger, mint, anis and everything else in this perfume and it comes together awesomely. I do feel it's light and not strong but that is fine. I can smell it and I like it! So, it's strong enough.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Steampunk fragrance! You might not get dressed like the one, but your attitude should be that kind of thing - of Helena Bonham Carter - half victorian witch, half guest from the future.
Also on me its a predominantly sage and anis scent, - dark mysterious, very very dry, dusty, like a totally burned by sun hay on the fields. And you waking up in a haystack with grass-blades in your hair.

It might be pure luck, but I don't have difficulties with longevity of Mandragore whatsoever.
Big love for originality.

Hedonista
Hedonista

This is a pretty, fresh scent for about 10 minuets. Then it's gone. Very light, clean, and citrusy. Perfect for summer. To increase staying power I tried to spray on while clothed! Didn't even last on my clothes. This is really sad as it is so nice. I'm glad I tried it, but there won't be a repeat buy.
Maybe the people at Annick Goutal could re-formulate it to give it better longevity?

antwan
antwan

Daynierds, different strokes for different folk. It's ok that you don't quite get what others are 'getting' from this fragrance, and it's ok to completely disagree. But. Please mind your language. Abbreviated swearing is STILL swearing. And, there's no need to be rude… (I imagine you'd say it was a joke… But really?)
Check the tone of others who don't like a fragrance… Compare.
Just saying.
Thanks.

becuille
becuille

"Summer lovin', have me a blast!"

So lovely, and an original take on the spiced citrus genre. I know absolutely nothing about mandrake, so I can't comment on how well it has or hasn't been interpreted here, but I do know I now want to find out more.

This opens with a bergamot blast, then very soon becomes pepper and sunshine. The anise is delicate and stays lingering in the background, which, as much as I love the note, is just as well here or it would overwhelm. The mint gives this such a refreshing kick.

This is a walk along the cliffs on a bright, clear day. The ocean is still below, there isn't a cloud in the sky and you're flying a kite.

Lovely. Really, really lovely.

mlleghoul
mlleghoul

Annick Goutal's Mandragore reminds me of a scene in the 1980's vampire film The Lost Boys, when the main characters' grandpa says "....well that's about as close to town as I like to get."

My perfume shelf is filled mostly with deep, dark, resinous fragrances, and Mandragore, with it's bright lemony/peppery opening that quickly fades to a soft minty, bergamot, is as close to a "summer scent" as I like to get.

It's a lovely, (softly) zingy scent that calls to mind some sort of herbal shandy one might drink to refresh one's self at the close of a balmy June afternoon. Unfortunately, much like the buzz from this weak cocktail, the scent lasts but a moment and is gone.

lonestarlola
lonestarlola

Bergamot, mint and pepper, full on. The star anise pops in and out, and the ginger is a steady underlying note. Wow the pepper. I'm glad I love it, because on me it's the star, with the citrus and mint there to harmonize and smooth out some of the bite. The flowers come out in time to round things out just a bit more, soft velvety notes. This is my kind of scent - spicy, woody, green bitter citrus and herbs. I think this one would be suitable for any time of day or year - it's more about mood than climate. It does remind me a little of Roma, another favorite, as they're both bergamot and mint based and spicy. To me, the difference is that Roma is a balsamic, mediterranean citrus, terra-cotta-baked earthy, spicy scent and this is a more cloaked, pungent herbal, oriental incense-powdery, darkly woody scent. I only wish it had the same amazing longevity as Roma, this seems to fade kind of fast on my skin.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

This opens with an accord much like a gin and tonic made with a great deal of fresh lime, and then rapidly translates to what can only be described as sprite and anise.

Next comes a little bit of cummin, and with that note this fragrance also leaves the unisex arena and becomes pretty much a male cologne to my nose.

Curiously I can't detect any pepper at any stage of development, nor any ginger. Just an on-going, earthy, generic herbal/spice blend, a bit like an oldfashioned healthfood co-op.

Very unusual but not very appealing - to me at least.

Jenne913
Jenne913

First off, I have the so-called "masculine" bottle and while I don't typically care about bottles one iota, it is beautiful! I also really like this fragrance. It opens up with a very tart, citrusy accord and smoothes out into more of a typical cologne olfactory stucture but instead of the more common lemon/orange citrus it has a sharper and more interesting (to me anyway) accord.Almost sour, in a good way. A great example that "fresh" scents can be more than shower clean.

ladyfragantica
ladyfragantica

I have to agree with one review here that this is really unusual in a good way though... the opening is citrusy, then the star anise shows up after few minutes and then what I believe is the mandragore root stays, really similar to ginger smell as well.

I really enjoy this fragance, it is really fresh, clean and unusual.

curvealert
curvealert

Mandragore is fresh and uplifting, but for my money Roma by Laura Biagiotti does this better, and for less.

Aliakatt
Aliakatt

Definitely not a fan of this. It just smells like lemon and licorice on me. Not something I find at all pleasant

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Mandragore is indeed a "fresh spicy" scent. It is quite citrusy, with a lemon fresh opening--tart and astringent--that dries down to a zesty green bergamot scent. I detect the ginger and mint faintly, and really don't smell the anise (although I have a hard time smelling anise sometimes). I think it smells vaguely like the Aqua Allegoria Limon Verde by Guerlain--an obscure frag, but one I just tried, so the similarity is based on proximity in my mind. Limon Verde is lighter and more fresh, while the bergamot in Mandragore is deeper and richer; but the fresh citrus quality is similar.

Sillage is low, longevity at least 2 hours so far. Would be a nice summer scent for those wanting a refreshing splash of citrus.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Mandragore was inspired by the mandrake plant, one which is the source of folklore and legend. Mandrake root looks rather like a sage old man--twisted and knotty, similar to ginseng root. Mandrake is also a nightshade plant and reported to cause delirium and madness. It is also known as Satan's apple.

Surrounding folklore considered, I had my expectations built for a fragrance with a mysterious story to tell.

And so... Mandragore opens with the archetypical cologne note of strong but cheerful bergamot accented with subtle ginger and black pepper--a little bit of a nose tickler. Mint and sage are not sharp nor overt, but rather balance the opening nicely. Anise also adds a touch of sweetness, but just a little, and adds barely a scant whisper of an unfulfilled promise of something that could have been truly enigmatic.

A kiss of powdery iris and a touch of musky labdanum barely hinting at an ancient healing resin, is then detectable in the drydown. Personally, I think though, that the culmination is way too subtle to warrant such a mysterious name in such a mythically colored bottle. Also, some retailers claim that mandrake powder is an ingredient used in this composition where others claim that mandrake is merely the inspiration and namesake.

I feel that all the ingredients are there for a potentially outstanding fragrance, but the execution is off the mark. I feel rather crestfallen because I believe that this could have truly been a delirium inducing fragrance had it been composed in different proportions.

Lana148
Lana148

Spicy, peppery bergamot. It's interesting, but to me it smells like citrus blended with licorice. Also it also smells like there are so medical notes here. I am not a fan, although I love citrus perfumes.

I've tried Mandragore a few times now and I have to say it's unique. A herbal, spicy fragrance that opens with citrus then becomes all about a heart of aniseed, mint and pepper. The mint is very menthol like and darkly medicinal in it's feel. I can't help but feel this fragrance is like something from a bygone era, almost a medieval potion mashed in a pestle and mortar by an apothecary. I love the smell of star anise and the combination with mint and sage just in essence but not something I'd consider wearing on my skin also the longevity of this juice is not up to scratch for the quality I've experienced from this house in the past.
An interesting fragrance this one, worth sniffing out.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Annick Goutal fragrance's are created with a unique aroma making them definitely attractive. Mandragore EDT has a AWESOME aroma which opens with bergamot and pepper. Star anise, mint and sage gives it a slightly sweet/herbal notes as well a definite citrus note. The base is made with floral notes of iris, labdanum and boxwood making it really enjoyable to wear during the summer months.
Longevity is moderate and Silage is also very good. The quality of this fragrance is PHENOMENAL for those men and women who want a frag that grabs your attention this fragrance will captivate those around you.
Overall thoughts,
This is my first frag from this French power house, I'm certainly going to try and acquire several others which I know I won't be disappointed with. I have worn this frag at work several times and a couple of women fell in love with this fragrance and they ordered it on-line. Annick Goutal's fragrance's are created with LUXURIOUS aroma.
◆◆◆If you've never tried this fragrance, it's not your garden variety of citrus summer scent.◆◆◆◆ If want a gorgeously fragrance, this fragrance falls in that category.....in a word STUPENDOUS !!
Rating this fragrance is a no brainer....a PERFECT 10

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

I got this for my husband and he really loves it. Let me say, he has never enjoyed wearing scent and is very fussy about it on other people. I have been trying to coax him into the rich world of fragrance without success until now. Mandragore is the one, and he likes it so much that he has even suggested that I switch to something by Annick Goutal as the perfumes are so well made. Bravo, Maison Goutal!
He finds that Mandragore smells clear, natural, citrus, spicy and unusual, and I have to agree! I have taken to pinching it and spraying it on myself on a worryingly regular basis... To try and sort the issue, I have just ordered myself the Nuit Etoilée as a spring fragrance for me...
The sillage is average, and I find the lasting power pretty good - 6 hours. I am gradually getting used to the idea that people do not need to smell me coming, and nor is it polite to foist your perfume onto colleagues and strangers. I don't like it when it happens to me: today when I was at the chemist's, the lady at the next checkout had the most hideous and overpowering scent on - god knows what it was - but it made me wish for more Goutal-esque sillage.
Lots of people feel disappointed that Mandragore doesn't have more warmth to it, and I think that is the fault of the mauve bottle that lead people to expect something more rounded and feminine. Goutal have switched to a clear bottle, which is a shame for me as I think the coloured bottles are gorgeous, but it might prevent this disappointment. It remains a lovely, fresh, spicy fragrance without ever becoming boring.

lipglossandabackpack
lipglossandabackpack

I think I was too taken by the name, which made me think I would be whisked away to an exotic, opulent location. Instead, I smell like a post-shower football player. This is much more masculine that I'd expected, and the pervasive citrus makes it smell far too clean for my tastes. There is a little spice to it, but it's hard to find through the strong bergamot scent. Think lemon-ginger tea. The name and bottle do this scent a disservice, as they hint at a femininity that isn't there.

veda
veda

Didn't work well on me.I found it an ordinary fresh-sporty perfume.
Nothing special.I wish it was unique by the name and the beautiful purple bottle.I can't find the green notes which I adore neither the spicy.
Maybe Mandragore pourpre it's keep it's promises.

Fresh, spicy and full of citrus. Cute composition of herbs, citrus and pepper. Not the most feminine scent, but refreshing and interesting.
It very green and close to nature - makes me think of fields and forests.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Mandragore by Annick Goutal is what I imagine India smells like. It is spicy and the anise, pepper and ginger make this fragrance very exotic. On my way to work all I could say to myself was, "I smell sooooo good. This is going to be on top of my list for sure. The Miami heat gives it more projection and makes it even MORE exotic.

drakecito
drakecito

This smell amazing natural, fresh and interesting.
A very herbal scent with a touch of sweet (star anise) with spices.
If you like natural, fresh and light scents, you must test it.
I love it.

Longevity is around 5-7 hours and sillage moderate.

scent: 9/10
longevity: 6.5/10
sillage: 5.5/10

hsd1
hsd1

When I first smelled the sample, I didn't like it. Then once on my skin, it is quite calming and refreshing, like I just stepped out of the spa. Very natural. A bit of mint and herbs and orange zest. I also wish this lasted longer, though I do quite like it.

Edit: This morning I awoke after recovering from a migraine yesterday, wanting to still smell good, but not make the head worse. This fits the bill. So soothing and cool.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

Utterly French. Opens with a lemon-minty yowl which quickly dries down to a real earthy bergamot fragrance, bergamot as in the herby leaves of Monarda Didyma, Oswego Tea with slice of lemon. This is the scent of my summer garden in the afternoon heat. It is a dry fragrance, hot stones, volatile herbs brushing against your ankles along the garden path. It is also a teeny bit witchy. Like a particular incense I was given by one of those artisans who create planetary incenses, though I can't remember which one, I think it may have had something to do with the cat goddess, Bast. The scent of this has gusted at me from the opening door of every French perfumerie/pharmacie I have ever visited,so it must be terribly popular. Not sure if I could wear it upon my person n winter, but I would be more than happy to use it on cool summer evenings. A real nature girl winner.

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

I've worn this a few times - including now and thought I'd wait before giving my review for it. At first, I really wasn't sure about Mandragore...as it seemed harsh without any substance. But now that I've worn it a fair bit, I've settled on my opinion of it and feel confident enough to review.

First of all, I don't generally pander or allow myself to be governed by what Season a perfume is made for. For instance, many people say Womanity should be worn in Winter - I disagree and consider it more of a Summer scent. I also view Black Orchid as an "all year" scent while most would say it works best in the Fall or cooler weather :)

When it comes to this one though? Summer only in my opinion. It's FRESH, and by fresh I mean straight out of your herb garden and into your refrigerator fresh. Green, Spicy, Refreshing = Mandragore. The Bergamot is the star in this Annick Goutal creation...but it's not alone. The Mint note is very prominent and compliments the Ginger absolutely perfectly. If any perfume could 'cool you down' - this would be it! The beautiful Sage, Star Anise and Iris are present, and definitely "there" - but they're very much in the background compared with the other notes I've listed.

When I wear this, I think of nature - it's complex and absolutely what I'd call sophisticated, but it's also Earthy, REAL - natural. On a hot Summers day, Mandragore is what I will continue to reach for now that I've spent some time to get to know it and fall in love with it :)

Projection is good - nothing enormous but it's noticed by others (usually in a good way I've found). The only thing letting this perfume down is it's longevity, which is between 90 minutes and two hours on my skin. Now, if this perfume wasn't as expensive as it is - that wouldn't even be a negative point worth mentioning...but since this *does* carry that infamous Annick Goutal price tag, it's worth noting and being aware of if you're looking to buy.

Beautiful, unique scent for both women and men - one that is perfect on a hot, humid Summers day if you don't fancy smelling like the "it", safe perfume at the time. Just be aware it really doesn't last long.

Shemarie
Shemarie

I found at first spray it was ginger and spearmint with a hint of black pepper. It dries down to spearmint with an hint of anise. This is the my first fragrance that I could smell mint. ItI refreshing in the 100 degree heat. When I run out of my decant I will have to chase down a full bottle.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

This review is based on Eau de Toilette concentration.

The initial blast of Mandragore contains a lot of bergamot, very refreshing and energetic. The citrus soon hides away as a supporting role and reveals a combination of anise, mint and ginger. It's green, fresh, reviving, zesty and sparkling. I was overwhelmed by this phase as this combination of spices which is usually thick, actually delivers such an unusually translucent scent.

However, this phase doesn't hold up very long and it soon was taken over by a spicy and earthy scent. The spices are still the same as above, but no longer freshly picked. They're dried and their ultimate spiciness are sublimed. Interestingly the fragrance remains ethereal even at this stage.

Unfortunately, Mandragore turns bland and watery afterwards, and loses its vivacity and strength. It was soft at the beginning and now it stays extremely close to skin. It dies after about 4 or 5 hours on me, which is weak among those I tried from Annick Goutal.

Mandragore, in contrary to the prune bottle and the mysterious name, is actually green to my nose. I appreciate the aromatic and spicy stages towards the beginning very much. However, these interesting stages doesn't last long (about 1 hour) and the fragrance itself either, which implies frequent reapplication to me. I'm curious if EDP would suit me better.

Nontheless, this should not hold you back from trying it. This green aromatic fragrance, lasting or not, has a very interesting twist that can hardly be described, but to be experienced by oneself.

priscillaemrich
priscillaemrich

I used a sample of this and found that it smelled very much like "B Scent" from Lush. I think I'll just buy B Scent, since it's much cheaper and has a better lasting power.

Carestinus
Carestinus

I am wondering whether I wrote a review of this before and it was deleted by many negative reviews or I never actually did so, which sounds strange given that I thought of it during many months, tried to see what to say about it and sold it to a (girl) friend eventually.

Now I've bought it again and the first one to be surprised was that friend of mine:"Why again? didn't you sell it cause you didn't use it?"

Ok, so? That first time Mandragore came to my desire once I planned my summer and thought I wanted a fresh scent that didn't bring to mind popular sporty and lemon-centered scents. It then was logically an amazing choice since it's delicious and sort of unisex (it leans towards feminine to me but without being obviously girly). It smells different without a doubt, airy and spicy. I still believe it is a wonderful choice for guys but I got rid of it at some point and if I don't have a bad memory it was due to a mix of reasons: lack of longevity, strong bergamot that sometimes made me feel I was wearing a tea scent I didn't intend to... and something bizarre I seemingly don't conceive as being that evil lol.

Mandragore is a great scent and a good alternative to add something less expected to your wardrobe for hot days. Please sample first in case you're a boy. I wear Duel and Les nuits d'hadrien far more often but enjoy greatly turning to this weirder spicy earl grey tea with anise that dries down into a talcy green tea. Be careful and don't overspray cause you may not smell it but others do and if overdone it turns into a nightmare.

I like all the reviews but must congratulate Celina since hers is a piece of accuracy. I should have simply redirected to hers instead of writing this mess of a review.

A last thought: get these stunning male bottles before all you'll get are the new ones, all the same and lacking any interest. Some brands decisions are simply a mistery to me. I'll miss that sensation of opening Annick Goutal scents and finding a piece of art that makes a big part of the magic. Holy mandrake!

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Suprised to find this at Winners for $70 in the tall bottle as above. Since the security case they put it in obscured the price, I had the clerk unlock the security. She did more than that. She also opened the box and sprayed the cap for us to sniff. First impression: citrus and anise. Some dripped onto my fingers and I detected mint. It stayed linear afterwards for me between citrus and anise. There has been so much longing and praise for AG fumes in the blogworld that I'm glad I got to sniff one. Such a disappointment that it is not as great as others perceive this scent. Not worthy enough for the price, anyway.

One dab on me
Sillage: close to skin
Longevity: 3 hours

tororojo37
tororojo37

I love the opening- like a bracing breeze of orange zest and sea salt. I wish it lasted a bit longer though.

siauseque
siauseque

Like an acquaintance that really attracts me but never stays around long enough for me to know them more.

elusivek
elusivek

This has a fresh but almost bracing opening. I detect bergamot, mint, a floral that's not listed (it's not iris, it's a lighter perhaps yellow floral), and what seems like a leather or suede note.

After opening, it settles down into a spicy soapy definitely masculine stage.

It ends with a powdery finish. Speaking of end, it fades rather quickly. It reminds me a little bit of 8 88 in that it's a bit of an old style barber shop type of smell.

Chocobaby
Chocobaby

Peppery and gingery. The bergamot stays throughout. I get the peppermint 30 minutes in. Very fresh uplifting fragrance. The ginger note reminds me of Tocca's Brigette,

aschiffm
aschiffm

Yay! I've been looking for a fragrance like this to fill a gap in my collection. Was looking for a unique light sparkling spicy scent, but one that through all its effervescence still has some depth and mystery- this is it!!

Fresh but warm, rooty and herby, peppery and light with soft wafts of sweetness and mint, it smells like the color of the bottle would smell! Translucent but dark, deep and "knowing". For a specific personality to pull this off, it's unique and beautiful.

wbp

It is unisex, but for me is too masculine. It is really nice natural smell,very peppery, minty and fresh. Just not my cup of tea!

scissorshand_j
scissorshand_j

it is a very unique fragrance, It is very fresh and cool. suitable for summer use.

Belledandy
Belledandy

This is probably one of the most bizarre fragrances I've ever sampled and owned. It's strange and yet captivating; a perfume that stays close to the skin and whispers its secrets.

It's very green, herbal bordering on medicinal, with a side of spice. On my skin Mandragore opens with soft citrus that slides into a long bergamot note. Somewhere around the middle, a ginger and woody note comes out, overlaid with something kind of sweet (Anise? I think?)

While the sillage isn't huge, the scent can linger three or four hours before finally drifting away to a pale clean scent. In my experience Mandragore is a summer scent. Warmth makes it bloom; cold makes it kind of funky.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I gave Annick Goutal's mandragore a good long try on my skin for a number of hours. At first I was assaulted by a bitter anise and pepper note like the twang of a broken guitar string and the same with the ginger when it came in- bitter ginger with no sweetness to balance it.

Then there was a very strong and absolutely overwhelming green note which I realized was mint. The mint became stronger and stronger until the entire juice smelt like a mint julep without any bourbon. The the bitter notes joined in again. The combination was very offputting. At this point, I had to force myself to leave it on my skin to develop.

Only in the final drydown does this fraqgrance exhibit anything approaching pretty. The sandalwood and labdanum finally come out with some soft floral notes and it is pleasant after about 3 or 4 hours, but the longevity is so poor that you have to bury your nose in your arm to smell the drydown.

The topnotes are overwhelming strident, a cacaphony of discordant notes and the drydown so pianissimo that you miss the one good scent that finally comes from this fragrance. Shame, with a different balance of ingredients this might have been at least interesting. I will not even be using up the rest of my sample.

wbp

So fresh, gentle, natural and a bit masculine on my skin. But i love it!

soonflower
soonflower

I was prepared for a woody, aromatic and heavy aroma.

On my skin Mandragore is quite fresh, clean, very citrusy.
Nothing revolutionary.

I'm surprised by it's normality.
Unfortunately it lasts for about 15 minutes and than it's gone for good.
Not worth the price.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Rooty-tooty, fresh but not fruity.

Quite a change from the other Annick Goutal scents I have tried, and interesting, but alas, not for me. Too sour, too earthy, too fleeting.

I got off to a bad start with the house of Annick Goutal when I first decided to test their perfumes because I purchased samples online which may have been off. Slowly, however, with the help of some of my generous fragrant friends, including Miss K, who sent me a sample of MANDRAGORE, I have come around.

I really had no clear expectations about this fragrance before testing it. I have seen it for sale in many places, especially in the square made-for-men bottle format used by this house. The color of the liquid suggested to me that this would be a heavy oriental perfume, but aside from that, I had no prior impressions, having never heard anyone say much about this creation. I see below, however, that many fine noses have already weighed in on this fragrance.

MANDRAGORE opens with a bright citrus demeanor and a fairly hefty dose of spices, especially pepper. This is not, however, the bloblike expansive synthetic pepper of Marc Jacobs BANG, among other examples. The pepper here is more along the lines of Hermessence POIVRE SAMARCANDE.

Upon applying this fragrance, I thought briefly of Bond no 9 WEST BROADWAY, another spicy citrus. However, in a side-by-side comparison, I find that the two compositions are very different. MANDRAGORE lacks, above all, the Bond no 9 cedarish base common to most of the masculine fragrances of that house and which dominates WEST BROADWAY and makes it more masculine than this. MANDRAGORE is more citrusy, but has poor longevity aside from a very low-level residue of spiciness, especially star anise and pepper. I do not know what boxwood is or smells like, and this fragrance does not smell very herbal to me, despite the sage listed among the notes.

This is a pleasant and subtle fragrance. It would perhaps be too subtle for some, but precisely because it is so low key, MANDRAGORE seems to me a good choice for summertime. If I had a bottle, I'd use it as a cologne on hot days, in the precisely the manner in which I use Berdoues 1902 CARDAMOM, which offers a similar experience, albeit with a different spice.

la louve
la louve

I love to layer it with AG "vanille exquise"...
Mmmmmmh! :-)
LOVE from LOUVE

nero77
nero77

Fresh and Spicy! I must admit that whilst this perfume may be well made and such, I personally found it quite linear. The pepper, ginger and bergamot give it the zingy opening, and the anise comes through to back them up. But that's about it. It stays like that throughout. A fresh, zesty, spicy scent like citrus (lime) rind and pepper (someone below I think mentioned a type of salad dressing), and I will admit that unless people buy or try this fragrance with a specific intention to have that fresh citrus, peppery/gingery feel and nothing else, they will be disappointed as it goes no further. If that's what you're looking for, you'll love it. Otherwise it's not worth the price.

AveParfum
AveParfum

It's a rare day when I encounter a scrubber, especially from Annick Goutal, a House I've always loved. On my skin, this was purely pepper, wood, and something synthetic. It smelled completely masculine, and regardless, I would not think it would smell good on a man either. It was just awful.

iritkaiaa120
iritkaiaa120

Nice perfume. Very well-made. I like an anise note in it (I like the licorice/ anise notes in general)but it is too lemony for me.

hollycat
hollycat

I just wrote the following review without looking at any of the notes and I must say I dont get any of those notes on my skin... Heres my review....

Mangragore is a zesty, zingy, lemony, herbaceous scent that is perfect for an aromatherapy experience, but as a perfume? You can count me out. Dont get me wrong its a very enjoyable summer perfume that conjures up feelings of being in an herb garden with intimate company, and enjoying some fresh, unsweetened lemonade. Problem is... with all this goodness, it lasts but an hour on my skin and then whats left is a faint soapy scent, kind of like aftershave. If your in it for the experience of a pick me up scent that you just want to enjoy temporarily after a shower or for a refresher on a hot day, then go for it! Its a nice tang of a scent. But I can think of other citrus scents with better fixation than this.

vaiciceku
vaiciceku

just citrus and mint....a lot of mint.....

akats
akats

I liked it when I tested it. The very first seconds I smelled it were incredible but before I leave the encounter, almost all of the smell had already dissapeared! What a great dissapointment for such a price...

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

I just got my bottle from Fragrancenet and I couldn't wait to try it. I finally understand the concept of fresh spicy, that it what I get in the top notes. Beautiful. I love it.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

A tantalizing scent both alien and familiar. When I wore it the image of a herb cabinet popped into mind. Dried herbs sealed in mason jars but their aromatic molecules escape the glass and dance a saraband along with the scent of wood the cabinet was made of. You are aware that the smell comes from things you know but it's impossible to identify each facet. You are not given much time either as the magical scent scatters into invisibility within minutes since you opened that cabinet exactly as this magical perfume falls flat and disappears within minutes from application. All that's left is a wash of herbal tea, not the most exciting of scents...

Maeva
Maeva

Mandragore could be said to be in the same league as classic green scents like Nº 19 and Diorella, but it's an uncommon variation on the category, a disquietingly sourer but alluring reinterpretation. After all mandrake has always been notorious for its harsh smell...

All the word Mandragore brings to my mind is witchcraft, and indeed this fragrance starts out quite mysterious and unusual, with an extra-bitter citrus blast. Later, it morphs into a gentler, sweeter scent especially thanks to the anise and the mint, and then it (very quickly!) develops into a very woodsy and discreet drydown.

This concoction almost has a taste, a very dry and acidic one, like the love potions of medieval tales, made of herbs, roots and spices (just like Mandragore) and gathered by the witches and wizards of our legends. The otherworldliness of this scent doesn't seem to be accidental. In fact most of Mandragore’s ingredients (see celina’s great review below for the complete list) have often been subject to superstition and regarded as esoterically meaningful in many cultures. For example, I had never seen boxwood as a note in any perfume that I knew of so far, and evergreen boxwood has always been associated to immortality and used to adorn graves from as early as the times of ancient Egypt.

Mandragore is bewitching, it really leaves you spellbound with its mysterious dark greenness, much darker and earthier than the greenness in more conventional, cleaner, aromatic scents. But I'm afraid this fragrance is terribly pricey for such a weak staying power and non-existent sillage! It may well cast an initial spell but then in less than two hours my edt totally vanishes into thin air, and that is not exactly the kind of magic I expected from such an intriguing gem!

ralucucky
ralucucky

I like it, but on my skin it is a bit too masculine and sharp. I find it suitable for summer months.

Labaloo
Labaloo

I'm with some other reviewers who say "bergamot" instead of lime- though I'd also wonder if petitgrain weren't involved. I love the anise/pepper combo- so beautifully balanced against the spearmint, and I have to say galanga rather than ginger. The overall effect is a dry one though- not in the least gourmand and only a pale sweetness. There are subtle woods in the base not listed here that cradle this beauty like a rare flower in the arms of an enchanted forest.

I'm not quite settled in placing this as a "daytime" fragrance. If so, it is for a "dark", broodish day- overcast or drizzly- in spring, maybe summer. And yet I'd also be tempted to wear it in the evening of such a day to extend the mysterious mood.

johngreenink
johngreenink

I am somewhat biased toward Annick Goutal fragrances, but I waited a while before trying Mandragore. Why did I wait? One reason: Anise. I really like star anise in my tea in the autumn, and I put some in the stock pot when making chicken stock, but otherwise I really don't like the scent of anise on my skin. It's far too foodic, and doesn't alter much from itself the way that other spices do, such as cardamon or caraway.

BUT, then, I gave it a try. Again, I'm amazed at what Annick Goutal can do. They've managed to take pepper and anise and marry them in a dry, linear couplet that is as natural as pepper and salt. It's a really miraculous scent, at so many turns spicy, warm, cool, firey, even slightly aquatic. The opening is a fantastic pepper & lime blast, followed by the entrance of star anise with a fizzy top of mint, and ending with a warmer anise and slight bit of cypress.

The only complaint I have is that the scent stays very close to the skin, and is a very light. Of course many of Annick Goutal's fragrances are light (it seems to be part of the general ambiance of the house,) so it requires quite a few sprays to really get the full effect of the fragrance. In spite of that, it's an incredible creation: Proof that a note that you formerly didn't love can transform into something wonderful.

silva11
silva11

I just got a bottle of this and I loooooove it. I am, generally speaking, a big lover of Annick Goutal perfumes and this one is probably top of my list. I find all her creations very romantic and this one is also reminescent of some fairytale/dreamy like atmosphere, it transports me to a world of revery where I imagine diaphane, delicate like , feminine creatures dressed in silk, traversing a wood, feeling the moss under their feet, a wood where it smells so fresh and earthy, where the rays of sunshine barely penetrate through the trees but the light is so gentle and soft. I get a lot of comfort from this scent, I find it mysterious, sensual, strong.
Pitty it doesn't last too long...

LydiaLiu
LydiaLiu

This is a very nice unisex scent. It smells herbal and naturally woody. The lemon in the opening is fresh and bright, which is my favorite part. Besides the notes listed, there is also rosemary which is noticeable in the middle and during the dry-down. The EDT can last 3 to 4 hours on me in hot weather. All in all it's a very typical scent in AG's woody-aromatic line.

rougetnoir
rougetnoir

I own this one, edt version. it was a gift, I don't know if I would bought it onmyself. It's a well composed perfume, on the citrus wave, not at all common in his semplicity. the problem is that it doesn't last more than half an hour, so I don't use it very often.
maybe the edp has more sillage

id
id

It reminds me "Zig-Zag"by Dana. "Mandragore" is just much more expensive but the difference of these two scents is not so prominent for my nose. The lasting power could be better too.

lara0905
lara0905

I love Annick Goutal compositions.:)I like the uniqueness in her scents. Mandragore is another well-composed masterpiece.
Mandragore is fresh, bright, uplifting but solid, faint,bit woody at the same time.It's opening with shiny citrus blast, the peppery bergamott very strong for long minutes on me, I can't detect anything else and after 10 minutes the herbal notes comes slowly. Anice is the dominant note the mint note is very faint in the middle phase.
As the beginning was very energetic, the end is sweet, soapy,slightly spiced,woody,lemoned anice-candy undertone on my skin.Amazing,rich and alluring scent with personality.

Eos
Eos

I love Mandragore but it does not love me back. After a week of wearing it I realized that the headache I've had all week was being caused by this lovely unusual scent. :( I'm so sad. The star anise and bergamot combo is just gorgeous, positively addicting really.

Make sure you try it several times before you buy.

Yiorgos
Yiorgos

There is only one word to describe this perfume: WOW!!!! (with exclamations).

glitteralex
glitteralex

This review is for the edt from a vial on card.

Mandragore possesses so few ingredients that it almost presents as a linear perfume. Fresh Bergamot dominates the entrance, if only for a short while. Within a minute, the fragrance settles into what it remains for about 4 hours; a sharp, simple, spicy melange of Bergamot, Black Pepper, Mint, Ginger, and (barely noticeable) Star Anise. The Bergamot and Mint are lovely, and manage to stand up well to the potentially overpowering Pepper. This is one of the more exemplary uses of Bergamot I have encountered. It is used throughout the composition to create balance, rather than existing solely in the top notes. The Star Anise is lost in the mix; I can't discern it. However, with so few ingredients, it must have some subtle effect. The Ginger is almost edible, and supports the Pepper in its role. The drydown is woodsy, similar to Sandal or Cedar, but more subtle, as it cannot compete with the Spice and ubiquitous Bergamot. I have never had the opportunity to smell the Mandrake Root, or Mandragore, so cannot comment on its presence or lack thereof. Due to its potent hallucinogenic effects, I can only imagine that it is used in minute amounts as a marketing tool...like cocktails containing Absinthe.

This is almost a gourmand, like gingerbread without the sugar. Mandragore gives the impression of being created predominantly of natural materials, but very carefully, and with some synthetic boosters. I see this on both men and women, but would prefer it on a man. This fragrance lacks roundness- without the addition of a voluptuous base like Tonka, Vanilla, or Amber, it requires the oilier skin of a man to have depth. I find it sits atop my skin, but never melds into it, even on a warm day.

Compare to current Idole by Lubin, which is both creamier and boozier, and has more character.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

A mysterious, layered scent---evolves significantly as you wear it. Made me feel like I should be readying a spell to cast by moonlight...The star anise is clear but not obtrusive, and the other spice and green notes drop into place almost one by one amongst the woods and whatever is anchoring this scent, eventually smoothing into a scent that walks a line between crisp, nearly brittle, and paradoxically rich and unctuous. It is delightfully uncommon, but very well-constructed; never random or "unfinished"-seeming. I liked it at all stages, but it is not a perfume that others are going to notice after the first 15 minutes or so, as it becomes very subtle quickly, and indeed my biggest issue with it is that, on me at least, it doesn't last. I love it, but wish it didn't need to be reapplied hourly.

ian85
ian85

I love it, even if it's quite light (four "pshitt" a day). This one is perfect for summer, and smells very fresh and natural.Few notes, but perfect and real notes: bergamot, mint,star anise,ginger, mandragore...
Mandragore is a nice unusual scent: it changes from talkative fragrances that have finally nothing to say!
Men's bootle is beautifull...

Barbie2
Barbie2

A very nice fragrance, which reminds me of Eight hours cream by Elisabeth Arden!
I have a sample of the EDT. It is such a pity that it doen't last long enough to really enjoy it. I wonder if anyone knows if the EDP lasts much longer?

hay81hay
hay81hay

i have the men bottle edt, i don't know if the juice match with women bottle, at perfume store they told me only 2-3 of Annick Goutal perfume are the same (men bottle = women bottle), i didn't remember which is which

Mandragore start with spicy with touch of citrus , at drydown i got leather and spicy

on my skin longevity is real problem 2-4 hour with weak silage .

i like it ,but its not super , retail price is too high for it

TillyWave
TillyWave

I love AG, I probably have 10 of their scents. I also love woody/spicy perfumes, so I had to get this.

On me the opening notes are mostly licorice and spice, and a sort of minty basil thing. It's very nice but lasts all of 15 seconds. Afterward it settles down into a powdery spice. After an hour or two, you have the drydown, which is when the wood emerges,along with iris powder. The wood is pretty, but faint, and gasps along for about an hour.

I am not big into sillage, and letting people 20 feet away know what I am wearing, but this perfume is extremely weak and does not last long at all, 4 hours max, and that is with a very liberal application. The ending I can barely detect. I have a bottle of the EDP, I can only imagine how quickly the EDT formulation would fade out.

I think that for the retail price of this EDP, it is not worth a full bottle. I like this fragrance, but I don't love it. I do feel like a bewitched, chilling wood creature at midnight when I wear this, but only for about five minutes, because the composition fades quickly from those notes into an OK heart and base.

Try before you buy to see if you absolutely love it before investing in this short lived perfume. The top notes are fabulous, but it is not worth spending $115 on 1.7 oz of perfume that works well for less than a few minutes.

njdeb
njdeb

Madragore starts out like a cold blast of citrusy eau de cologne. The bergamot is prominent, and the mint does not detract from the overall citrusy smell, but rather serves to provide the effect of green coolness.

The citruses subside quite quickly, and the fragrance warms as the pepper and herbal notes come into play. Iris provides a soft powderiness that persists throughout the development of the perfume. The scent ultimately settles into a gentle green aromatic, with pepper and ginger providing a bit of a spicy kick.

While the cool initial blast suggested to me that this was strictly a warm weather perfume, that effect is fleeting, and the drydown is warm enough for year round use. I personally would have preferred that the citruses stayed around longer, but that is a minor criticism.

All in all, Madragore is a very lovely, restrained and elegant fragrance. I see it as a perfect office scent. I can't imagine this offending anyone, but it isn't a common scent that everyone wears either.

Projection is medium and longevity medium to good. Absolutely unisex.

perilandia
perilandia

This perfume is amazing!!!!so fresh but whith personality.
And the botlle is georgeus and very femenine.

Cereza
Cereza

Gin and tonic!

For me there is a wonderful blast of anice and mint at the beggining and even if I consider this more to be a masculine kind of scent I find this extremelly alluring, refreshing and mouthwatering (damn me, gin&tonic lover).

It's very unique and I haven't seen anything like this before. I don't think one needs "guts" or anything to wear this in public, because this is very wearable scent, perfect for hot summer days in a garden party with cocktails and music. Very, very addictive. I think everyone should give a try to this one, because this is absolutely lovely.

MDWake8
MDWake8

One of the most unique and bizarrely addictive scents Ive ever wore. The fact that she used Mandrake root in this scent tells me about the woman Annick was. It wears very earthy but dries down sweet. It has an immediate effect on my mood when I wear it, which is the point of a tonic. This one definitely casts a spell.

celina
celina

As per Annick Goutal site the notes are: bergamot, star anise, ginger, mandrake, black pepper, peppermint, sage, boxwood, iris, ciste roots, labdanum.

This is a citrus aromatic fragrance. I expected something more exotic and woody but I discovered a perfume that I could have called "Escale a Portofino" very well. This is my olfactory imagine for Portofino.

The opening is pleasantly refreshing lemony aromatic. There is a competing tone waiting in the background: mint. It will take a full hour for the last one to take the leading role.
The short description could be: one hour of lemon on a minty base followed by an eternity ( well 3-4 hours, top) of mint with a lemony heart.

It doesn't sound too original but the twist comes with two great choices: ginger and anise. They are not big players but combine beautifully with the main notes. The lemon feels more sophisticated and the mint less trivial. I can't stand mint in fragrances , especially because of its weird dry down that lacks freshness. However, this note was mastered wonderfully here. The end result is a well balanced, refined summer composition that is spiced up with a hint of black pepper .

The woody tones are hard to describe and become more extroverted in the dry down. At this moment the fragrance grows into a warm- woody- aromatic construction with a sheer resinous- amber- earthy note: labdanum.

Late in the dry down, a soapy note comes in and out: iris. I was wondering where it was...just a whisper at the end.

Lovely. I could use a whole bottle...

7.8/10

Gosha
Gosha

I have a sample and I tried it few days ago and loved it, however it didn't seem to last very long, but I thought that I will give it another go before writing a review...
So I tried again today and I still love it! Maybe even more. The opening is very lemoney (bergamot?), refreshing and aromatic and the simple, yet fragrant combination of the herbal/breezy/spicy notes really seems rather unique on me. It is very fresh and green (very slightly woody and earthy perhaps) kind of beauty, that later morphs into gently (naturally) sweet, but still aromatic soapiness. Lovely, lovely, lovely! The longevity though is really poor...a little more than an hour later and it's completely gone. :-(

kittymoon
kittymoon

OMG I'm sorry I can't review the scent but I'm going to try and I so hope I will like it because I just LOVE the bottle, where does that come from, from a fairytale? The one with the butterfly lid must be Alice in Wonderland's tinkture bottle.

lillybee
lillybee

Within the first few minutes of application, to my nose, the fragrance is warm, fresh and bursting with citrusy, peppery and slightly bitter orange flavoured green tea notes. After about 15 minutes I get the first hints of a somewhat masculine aromatic spice - slightly bitter and herbal, predominantly made up of sharp and soapy ginger and a warm hint of nutmeg to my nose. The scent is warm, spicy yet refreshing and is quite subtle to wear even when spraying a generous amount.

After about an hour, the fragrance softens and mellows down dramatically and is now greener, mintier and lighter with the aroma of fresh lemon still being the most noticeable. When smelled close to the skin, the deeper, richer and spicier aromatic notes are the more dominant while the rest of the sillage contains the lighter fresher tones of lemon, pepper and mint.

Only 3 - 4 hours after the application, the fragrance becomes subtle and just noticeable close to the skin. It has a dry, woody odour with a hint of lemon. I almost thought it went off on my skin as it seemed to turn spicier and drier at the end, producing a sort of earthy, dusty tone like something like the smell of aged wine or mouldy odour of a cellar.

Mandragore is an alluring, green aromatic scent that at the start promises you an unusually timeless and ageless olfactory experience by skilfully blending mellow and fresh notes for an ultimate unisex idea of a fragrance. That's why it's even more disappointing when as soon as the rich, earthy tones start to develop, the story suddenly ends and the image fades away.

I found Mandragore a scent that tries to be too sophisticated in favour or being humble, wearable and down-to-earth, more like us mere mortals.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

i tested it today(the square bottle)!
the opening is very energizing and citrusy, but not heavy. it also seemed a little bit herbal.
At the drydown stage the scent was more gentle, even feminine, summery scent!
I like it a lot!
not sure about the longevity - it's been 3 hour after i sprayed it, and it's still there. will see later!

dianafrances
dianafrances

i hated mandragore at first, but then after the drydown, i was captivated. this is such a unique fragrance; it is subtly earthy and fresh but in a modern casual way, not like a hippie. the citrus does not overpower the mandrake and anise. some say it smells weird, but its that weirdness that grabs peoples attention that makes this scent worth wearing.

nomarlicious
nomarlicious

this fragrance is very spicy!!!!!!

enigmatict
enigmatict

Luckily, AG fragrances stay long on my skin. I got a sample of Mandragore today and it smells just like Mandragore Pourpre but a lot softer and more feminine. I prefer this version.

Aalia
Aalia

Itś energizing and earthy at the same time. The bergamot resembles verbena here, with the pepper added. Itś spicy, but not heavy at all, itś very "thin" like other Annick Goutal fragrances. I could not detect the mint or star anise individually. Itś very natural and makes me think of soil, roots, and dry and fresh leaves, too. I absolutely love this perfume, I had promised myself to buy it, finally having found a light, zingy, and seriously keen and piquant cologne to use in the very hot climate here, but, like all other Annick Goutal creations, it disappears so very quickly. I tested the EDP an it did last just a tiny bit longer than other Annick Goutalś I have tested in the past.

The first advice I can give in regards to this scent, you must try it on your skin first. When I smelt Mandragore from the bottle a look of horror, disgust and nausea must have crossed my face. Since I had only recently been quite ill with the flu, Mandragore instantly reminded me of a decongestant I took on a daily basis which was in the form of a lemon flavoured powder which when added to hot water, created the foulest smelling and tasting concoction on the planet.

I didn't think I would be touching a bottle of Mandragore ever again, until now. I was brave and applied a few small sprays to my wrist and waited.

I'm not a fan of the citrusy bergamot note, I never will be, however the pepper, mint and ginger notes balance the scent out nicely. After ten minutes the fragrance is quite pleasant and soft, certainly not nauseating like it was from the bottle.

I think to fall head over heels in love with this scent requires an acquired taste. It is certainly very different from my other Annick Goutal love, Passion.

I don't get a lot of woods in this fragrance, I think of it as more of a citrus aromatic rather than a woodsy perfume. It's unfortunate that this fragrance has poor lasting power, because it's perfumes like these that make people give up on Annick Goutal fragrances, which is a shame because she makes such lovely scents.

I have concluded that I do like Mandragore, but only in small doses. It's certainly not something that I can picture myself wearing every day. I might wait until the warmer months to try this again, because I am eager to see how well this is worn during the hot Summer days.

I probably wouldn't purchase this fragrance in a full bottle, however I'm content with my 15ml sample.

flannelman
flannelman

I received a sample of Mandragore some time ago and after testing it a few times I can safely say that the more I wear it, the more I like it. The opening is of a very strong and bright bergamot, quickly joined by what are, to me, the two stars of this fragrance: ginger and star anise. The blending is really nicely done. There is a very good balance between these two notes, both in terms of strength and movement, sometimes mixing perfectly, sometimes resurfacing individually.

Mandragore is a light and, in a way, playful and unusual fragrance. Most people seem to report that it is quite fleeting but surprinsingly it manages to last fairly decently on me. Progressing toward the base, and after reading reviews, I was expecting it to become more green; perhaps also darker or mysterious (because that's the association I make with the word "mandragore") but this didn't happen. Of course as I never had the chance to smell mandrake before, it's hard to know what to expect. What I do get is a faint but pleasant tea note, and a simple woody accord which I imagine comes from the boxwood, with the ginger still discretely present.

All in all, Mandragore is not at all what I expected but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. It works for me and develops nicely on my skin. Nice to wear in Spring but I have the impression that it could be worn in most seasons. Clearly it's not going to be a match made in heaven for everybody but I think it's definitely worth trying. I'm certainly happy that I did...

Mals86
Mals86

Light, fresh, clean, but with a dry spicy cast to its freshness. I was expecting more of the boxwood, since I love that note, but didn't get much greenness. Strikes me as perfectly unisex. I get mostly ginger, anise, and bergamot, with some greenish woody notes. Very pleasant. I tested the edt, but it is apparently stronger in the edp version (only sold in the women's bottles).

The men's bottle is absolutely gorgeous: square, and deep purple with gold filigree. Oddly, though, this smell is more what I would associate with green than with purple.

ineedavktion
ineedavktion

This is so clean and fresh with a slight citrus, but nothing I have ever smelled before. It is so different, down to the point of darn right delightful. I guess it could be unisex, but I clearly think this should be used on a woman only. It doesn't seem to fade like others have said. This is one I would seriously look into paying the price for the parfum, but would be ok with the EDT. Not sure if it is the magical mandrake root, but it is worth it to at least give it a try.

veruska
veruska

Another one that i'm seriously anosmic too, it seems perfectly unisex but all i can smell is an anisic dry and peppery citrus (bergamot i guess)in a fresh green woody background.Very faint for me to love, although it seems nice when i first spray it on.

Mostly bergamot, ginger and black pepper. A bit green, maybe, like summer. A sunny plant smell, very good for summer months, but wearable year round. I love this one for it's light, bright feeling.

PR
PR

I can't remember what it smelled like for the first 5 to 10 minutes, but afterwards it just turned into plain citrucy smell..just that

illyria
illyria

I loved this on a scent strip, but on my skin it disappeared within ten minutes, never to return.
Though I liked it for that ten minutes, I had to put nose to wrist to smell it at all. I'm not anosmic to anything, so I can't explain this.

Ah well, I guess I'll give this one a miss.....

klee0206
klee0206

Now this is what I call a fresh, clean and natural scent! It's so nice; I love it!

elgab89
elgab89

I went the other day to my local perfumery and I was talking with the lady owning the store about my favourite subject: perfumes... She suggested to try this one and said is on her top 10. I found it beautiful. Like Jeca is saying, it is an unusual perfume, however really gorgeous, great scent - not your mass produced, celebrity wear typical one... fresh and also fit for a man as for a woman. I would love to have it and share it with my husband.

2007
jeca
jeca

This perfume is unusual, earthy, rooty, but light, very comforting.

2007