Designers » A » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Nuit Etoilee Annick Goutal for women and men

Nuit Etoilee Annick Goutal for women and men
dislike

Nuit Etoilee Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures

The house of Annick Goutal presents Nuit Etoilee or "starry night", a new fragrance for both men and women. The fragrance was inspired by the moonlight, starry skies, cool scent of woods and enjoyment in nature and solitude.

„To walk for hours at night in a nature left in a state of wilderness. To listen to the weeds getting crushed and fir cones cracking under one’s feet. To collect branches of conifers, to break them and smell the resinous vapors at the tip of one’s fingers. Then to lie down on the ground in the moonlight as if you were all alone in the world.“

The composition is a fresh spicy - woody - aromatic, created by perfumer Isabelle Doyen. It contains notes of citron, sweet orange, peppermint, Siberian pine, fir resin, angelica seed, tonka and immortal.

The fragrance is available in two types of bottles (the curvy one is for woman and the square one for men), colored in dark blue, containing Eau de Toilette scent concentration.

Nuit Etoilee was launched in 2012.

Citron Orange Mint

Pine Tree Fir

Immortelle Angelica Tonka Bean

Nuit Etoilee Eau de Parfum
Royal Oud

Nuit Etoilee Fragrance Reviews

TexBex
TexBex

Unique and tranquil, just as I had imagined. Cooling, refreshing contrast to Texas three digit heat.

Duskfall
Duskfall

The conifers are very prominent in Nuit Etoilee, but it's not a true-to-life foresty scent. It smells natural, but it's also a bit ethereal. It's more like a fairytale forest: crisp and airy with sweet resinous depth. It slightly reminds me of Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes.

All in all, Nuit Etoilee is really lovely! The performance could be better, though; it has a moderate lasting power (approx. 4-5 hours) and it stays close to skin.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

Such earthy tenderness. I'm transported to being a child in my grandmother's garden and her telling us to pull off mint leaves from the plant and chew them! That smooth, cool, minty herbal freshness, with no artificial burst is perfectly captured in "Nuit Etoilee".

There's also the distinct smell of fallen pine needles, lining the forest floor and of pine trees and flowers that have warmed over the course of the day, quickly cooling under evening dew; that fascinating contrast of balminess and dewiness. Here, I'm also transported back to being a kid, playing kickball with the other neighborhood kids as the sun goes down, the dusky smell of shampooed heads in the sun all day, the vegetal smell of grass beneath our feet, with dewy pine surrounding us.

The creamy, oily undertones of angelica and imortelle remind me a little of the creamy balminess at the core of Caswell-Massey's "Elixir of Love Everlasting" and its Victorian naturalness. This is like the scent of a Victorian garden and Victorian pine needle pillows, of a moon garden and with its spritely earthiness, even an enchanted wood.

Many have written about "Nuit Etoilee's" herbal freshness, it's natural feel but to me, it transcends a simple herbal treatment sort of blend. This is an unusual fragrance but a distinct composition and it really is for those who want a fragrance with mint and pine notes that doesn't smell like cleaner or medicine.

This smells most like a fairy tale cottage in a wood, with fireplace cured walls, pies and Scandinavian treats cooked in an open hearth, its floral accents that make me think of fairies and Snow White's embroidered apron, not cough drops and floor cleaner.

I almost wonder if the house of Annick Goutal took on this challenge just for the difficulty of it, as so many people have grown-up associating these notes with functional items, that it's hard to approach such blends without prejudice and consider such notes in a luxury, creative blend.

Whatever the reason for Annick Goutal pursuing this unusual blend, what they've accomplished is probably the best mint-based fragrance on the market today. "Nuit Etoilee" is both a rare fragrance option and a charming composition. I can't wait to wear it for Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter's starry nights and I have a feeling it will tell a different story for every one.

Akashia
Akashia

Very nice, refreshing, cool pine needle scent.
First whiff is strongly alcoholic, but pine needle scent comes through soon enough along with some minty freshness. On my skin, no citrus scent develops, but only piney, fir scent.
Delicate silage and not overpowering.

I had a heavy head from lack of sleep, so spritzed Nuit Etoillee around my wrists and back of neck. It gave me such a fresh wake-up feeling as if I took a stroll in the mountain path.
Lovely & delicate perfume, which I look forward to using in the summer and fall.

CorneliaL
CorneliaL

walking through a cold crisp evergreen forest hand in hand with my lover, we stop and both gaze up at the same time at the clear winter night sky and see stars wink at us - it transports me there - I love this scent

it is soft but a bit chilly, and cool evergreen - I get more fir than pine - and I have very fond comfort memories of pine, spruce and fir scented baths as a child so these notes are so appealing and comforting to me

BeOrtega
BeOrtega

its not everyday im able to find a mint based scent

as much as i wish i knew of more that i was able to get my hands on it just hasn't come to fruition

Nuit Etoilee opens with a mint note thats almost edible it sets the mood almost instantly uplifting you to wanna get out and cease the day

the combination of mint pine and fir lays the foundation of whats to follow in this scents pyramid breakdown

right off the top the earthy tones would just be to much but because its followed by a duo of citrusy notes which makes it all come together in a olfactive medley

i would say this is a summer day scent perfect for roaming around in a urban city that forces you to be with in close quarters of others since im afraid thats the only time you will get noticed as this scents biggest down fall is its ability to project :(

and only for that reason i find it not to be bottle worthy

on to the next

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

Just goes to show that when it comes to olfactory sense our taste can change even for a while. Having overused heavy, oriental scents for the past 3 years I was looking for something a little fresher but still smoky and resinous. Recently in a thread I came across Nuit Etoilee. I was always weary of citrus notes being rather harsh but not in this case. Nuit Etoilee is a beautiful match of lemon engulfed i a resinous spicy pine and mint enhanced ever do gently by tonka bean and with nuances of immortelle and orange. Very feminine classy and elegant, I am glad to own a bottle. It can be easily worn by a man too. Pure smoky, citrucy bliss.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Review is for EDT
Wooden open terrace is lit by lamps from the kitchen and real green-tree is standing there, waiting when last icicles will drop and melt down, so the tree will make it's fragrant way into the living-room. The house will start to smell like winter forest, fir aromatic needles and resinous aroma with droplets of galipot that cover the bark. Nuit Etoilee will fill the hall, the dining room and climb upstairs, to change the real world into surreal. Definitely bright, minty fir with teeny-tiny touch of citrus.

weasley
weasley

This edt smells like zesty lemon tea to me. Very very happy lemon tea. I feel like it cleanses my lungs, and clears my head. It's more like aromatherapy or a mood booster for me, than a perfume really. It's just something I would wear for my self on a day I'm feeling down and need a little lift me up.

EDIT: tested the EDP too, but I actually prefer this one. They are very similiar, but this one is has a balmy smooth feel to it that i miss in the EDP.

courant
courant

The EDP is so superior that I squirm when I read the reviews and suspect the EDT is what has figured in them. The iris/amber combo in the EDP is amazing. If you like the EDT at all, persevere; Seek and ye shall find a masterpiece.

periquito89
periquito89

So inviting as are the mint and pine notes, is the dark blue color, somewhat turquoise bottle (mine is the square one) ... but I was a bit disappointed with the scent itself. It imediatelly reminded me of the ultra cheap Paris Elysees Handsome for men, most of all because the so caracteristic smoky smell. Explaning: mint and pine? I was expecting something more fresh, a feeling of openness, if I´m saying this correctly. But it seens to be rarely the case (Esencia Loewe, Agua Brava, Polo green itself). This strikes me quickly as a masculine scent, which I was already expecting because those green notes.

Rich28
Rich28

I think this is a very natural smelling fragrance. It opens up with a very prominent mint note that eventually fades into a very realistic pine and fir (maybe a bit too realistic) dominant fragrance. The transition is quite interesting to me because the fragrance shifts from an initial minty fresh opening into a very green, piney base.

It doesn't Smell like pinesol or any kind of cleaner though. It smells like someome chopped up a pine tree then heaped all the logs, branches, leaves and chips into a corner of the lawn. Imagine sitting by a window, or on the patio while the scent of that felled tree moves in your direction. I think the pine note also has a resinous woody quality to it...almost the same vibe I get from varnish if that makes any sense.

I didn't get it before but after a few wearings, I actually detect, in a more than subtle way a very present tonka note. I think I've smelt it before but have only now realised what it actually is. I think the tonka adds just a tiny bit of flavor and sweetness to the woody pine facet that dominates the latter stages of this fragrance.

I actually noticed it because I own a bottle of viaggio d'Africa which has a very prominent tonka note that I think is used for the same reason as it is used in this however, in VDA its used in tandem with the vetiver to a much greater extent. While these two fragrances are very different, I think the tonka is very similar. They both smell like tonka seeds after the fibrous fruit was consumed and left to dry. Let's say after heaping the pine tree together you throw a few tonka seeds in the pile. The seeds may not over power the pine smell but they add just enough to take the sharp edge off the pine.

I think that this fragrance is more a work of fragrance art than it is a mass produced crowd pleaser. It's not bad at all but I don't think its everyone's cup of tea. despite the name I think it's best suited for daytime and works best as a casual fragrance. I think it'll do well in warmer or cooler climates. longevity and sillage are okay but could be better. I haven't received any compliments as yet.

Will I finish my bottle? I most certainly will. Will I purchase again? Maybe not. Am I intrigued enough to try other fragrances by AG? Yes I am. Do I recommend? I recommend that you at least smell this if you like minty, woody, resinous, natural fragrances.

RiqueSchiavon
RiqueSchiavon

For me a gorgeous lemon pie covered with fig leafs in an almost dense forest of pines. Elegant, non linear and extremely well structured! By far one of the bests in my collection! Loved!

Final notes:

Fragrance:10/10;
Longevity:6/10;
Sillage: 5/10.

tige60
tige60

Very lovely spring summer warm weather fragrance that actually works well in any season for that matter...opening is very citrus minty and then pine & fir enter the scenario with orange & angelica presenting also...the warm pine and immortelle drydown smell remarkably similar to Serge Lutens' Fille en Aiguilles' drydown...a very enjoyable & versatile casual all season EDT fragrance.

Sillage: moderate
Longevity: moderate to long-lasting

Scentmad
Scentmad

Bursts open with a vibrant citrus/mint accord that is almost overwhelmingly aggressive before it settles into a calmer green sweet minty peppery accord. It's actually rather surprising from this house in that it's strong. I think this will be a grower. Right now, for me, the jury's out.

kera_5j
kera_5j

I recently fell in unexpected love with Annick Goutal's Nuit Etoilee. I say unexpected because I usually gravitate toward heady orientals and gourmand scents, but somehow I became absolutely enamored by the scent profile of this fragrance.

Unfortunately, longevity and projection are minimal at best.

Hoping I can get some help finding an alternate fragrance that matches Nuit Etoilee's notes but offers way better staying power and projection.

Any ideas?
ANY and all suggestions are welcome-- desperate to hear about scents that offer than same citrony, piny, minty vanilla that makes Nuit Etoilee so magical to my nose!

Fragaria

Breath freshener spray....that's it....spot on! I know that was meant to be a negative review but, it's the best description!
This scent (and I LOVE it btw!) is the exact reaction your mouth gets to a lovely, more spearminty than pepperminty, breath spray.
Your senses become deadened with minty freshness and frozen ponds. You become a huge tastebud that can detect the feel and smell of minty freshness (much LIKE toothpaste), pine needles and cold mountain air while walking across a frozen pond.
Chewing gum....maybe a bit, yes. But these aren't a negative, provided you SEEK and love this experience!
This is so fresh, the next morning I can pick up my clothing and it smells like I left my shirt out to hang in storybook forest. This has the ozone people mention in some reviews I've read.
This is equivalent to brushing your teeth, rinsing your mouth, spraying breath spray, blowing into the cold frosty air, and then walking through the little puff of cloud you make. All the while standing in a pine forest and licking a icicle off a pine tree.

This is a frosty dream.....

Strappyshoo
Strappyshoo

I tried this today. First, second, third squirt- I was in heaven. I nearly ran to the counter to pay for a full bottle. However, on the way to the counter it changed (yes, that quickly) to orange biscuits. Yes, orange biscuits. I smelled of orange biscuits. So, I turned myself around, walked back to the shelf and replaced the bottle. For £84 I don't want to smell of orange biscuits. Weird.

viridian
viridian

Finally. I have been wanting to sample this and today I got the chance. It's pretty much what I thought it would be - beautifully made but just a bit too Christmas-y for me. In fact I'm reminded of a room scent that used to be available at L'Occitane. It was called Winter Forest and I had both the oil for burning and the little metal tin of solid cubes of perfume that fit into the most gorgeous pomander... like a metal "orange" that opened up to reveal 4 sections covered with a filigree screen that allowed the scent to escape. Beautiful. Wish they still made them. Love this kind of scent for my environment but not for wearing.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Masterpiece .... hit my soul, this perfume was able to bring me back in the woods when I collected mosses, resins ... there were pine, fir, pine needles, my hands smelled like this, everything was this smell ... all around nature. Nuit étoilée Evolves slowly, has a complex parfume, and it takes days to interpret. After about 20 minutes it turns into full-fledged starry night in a forest .. I love this scent, and I think that will buy! One And Only! It 'the first perfume I try Annick Goutal, and I was surprised! :) My soul thanks .. ♦♡

Sillage: 5/10 (it is light on the skin, but just reapply after a few hours)
Longevity: 8/10 (Takes about 6-8 hours on me)
Scent: 9.5/10 (Perfume divine, unique, magical, majestic, captivates the senses and do not let them more)
Overall 10/10

According to my taste is a timeless scent, so you can wear in Summer, winter, spring and autumn. Suitable for any occasion :')

Very very light scent that makes me think of nature. I like the mint, fir and pine notes in it. I knew this was going to be good. It's unisex for surel.
I sense some tonka bean, but it's still not sweet.
The only problem is it's lightness. It's so light, I don't know if it's possible to detect on someone or not. All I know is, I have to rub the paper strip on my face to sense it.
It would be lovely on a cloudy summer day.

Brian's Wee Sister
Brian's Wee Sister

I was so disappointed with this one. I love the idea of mint, pine, the scent of a moonlit frosty forest ... But all I get is toothpaste. No depth to this at all. Breath freshener spray, anyone?

loismonahan
loismonahan

Blind buy yesterday at Winner's (reduced to $36.00!!). This is beyond my expectations! In a world of cookie cutter scents, this is truly unique. Feels like being in a forest in winter, with a cold, shivery feeling (must be the mint). Absolutely love it!

shellysmellys
shellysmellys

Sexy and relaxing and the same time. Great for a cozy fall day !! Love it , not over strong just right !!!

s.w.
s.w.

I love this one from all my heart! It's just like some kind of the miracle in the blue bottle! So mysterious like a forest from some fairytale. My absolutely "zen", that gives me a full harmony with myself and the world around me.

canny1234
canny1234

Opens with a burst of minty citrus leading onto the pine and then a pungent burning rubber smell.Is this the Immortelle?What a disappointment.Any one want a partially used bottle?

lauren.gonzalez.963
lauren.gonzalez.963

Simply GORGEOUS! I am totally in love with this fragrance. All together I get the scent of potpourri, but by the notes I do get how some can pick up mint, citrus, and woods; for some reason it just reads as one thing to me. One thing is for sure it is very feminine IMO, and Im not sure why but it makes me think of lace. I cant really imagine a man (who wears only male frags) wearing this comfortably. The only drawback to this one is that the longevity lasted about 5 hours on me.

Fragaria

antfarm took the words out of my mouth. Yep.....uh huh

pjd1234
pjd1234

one of my recent purchase ONE WORD I LOVE THIS SCENT from goutal its very refreshing. It does makes you think of a cold weather snow flowing walking on the road with pine trees all around for me this scent very relaxing and calming reminds of childhood. I really love the pine note here the top notes are somewhat very common but does not last long as the pine kicks in right away making the scent more brightly or cooling as it dries down the scent becomes greeny with just a small kick of sweetness all notes blends together very nicely performance 5-6 hrs moderate projection. I got mines for 62usd niche quality, smell wise, performance wise, average.

Smells like resinous Christmas. Rather wonderful. Almost a Christmas version of Mandragore, with shared notes. Completely unisex.

pioggia-secca
pioggia-secca

I tried this one in a boutique and at first remained deluded because I expected pine to shine sooner. And it does not give you the pine at first. But then it really starts to shine, and this is really great - it's not a flat simple perfume at all. Very well done.

For me it's an August perfume, because it delivers the same contrast: hot day and chilly dark night, when pine trees smell so wonderfully radiating their natural woody scent with the heat accumulated during the day...

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

One of my favourite Goutals ever. An impressionist, poetic, water-coloured fairytale around a green, pungent, fruity balsamic accord. A sprinkle of orange and freshly-cut lime on a herbal accord, an invigorating Alice potion that walks you to a dreamy suspended garden. Fairly close to Mandragore and Songes, carrying Goutal's signature delicate, gentle and almost oniric powdery sweetness – a personality which I love, and which is still totally unique. The drydown is subtle but persistent, elegant and manly, with a vague and really light echo of liquorice. The night is over. An underrated superb fragrance.

8,5-9/10

dsty
dsty

Another Annick Goutal perfume I only have a 1 ml sample of, and another one that's hard to decide about after two wearings.
I was very excited to try this: because of the combination of the name and the notes, both lovely, I imagined a very fresh but interesting scent, like a cool night in a pine forest. And that's exactly what this is, although it's definitely heavier on the mint than on the pine, and I got little or no citrus in the opening. This is the colder sister of Ninfeo Mio, the same forest but in a colder season when the sun isn't hot enough to evoke that warm smell of lemon and fig trees and the resin in the trees (but the mint plants somehow thrive in abundance).
So I like Nuit Etoilee very much, but I think mint is just one of those notes for me, where liking is as far as I'll probably ever get, because I'm not falling in love with it...I'd like a bigger decant, though, just to make sure, because I don't feel like I'm done with this, either.

Turtledove
Turtledove

I love this so much, it's like leaving your windows open for a cool night breeze. The opening has this juicy leafy green-ness with the mint and pine that I just love! It feels outdoorsy and natural without being too "wild," if that makes sense, like a night walk through a park. It definitely has a cool, evening feel to it, like that woodsy smell that starts rising from the ground after the sun is down.

It starts out really crisp and leafy with a lemony citrus sparkle, then gets more woodsy-evergreen as time goes on, and in the drydown it has a hint of powdery sweetness to it underneath the warm pine. It has a touch of resin to it. Although it stays mainly green, the resin is ambery-sweet rather than bitter/dry. It's actually kind of interesting how it transitions from cool to just a little warm, I'm curious to try the EDP, which is supposed to emphasize the warmth a little more.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Fresh, cold mint and pine, with a warmer dry down. Very cool scent without being aquatic or watery in the least. Unisex, a great mint and pine scent for anyone. Fresh without ozone or marine notes -- I usually don't like marine notes so this was important for me. It was also nice to find a scent with mint in it that a woman could wear that wasn't too sweet -- I like mint but too often it has a sugared quality to it. This isn't sweet but just fresh.

NebelGeîst
NebelGeîst

A SA recommended this to me and as I usually don´t try perfumes in shops on skin, when I´m already wearing perfume, she gave me a sample to try at home.. We had talked about my preferences (woody, smokey, resinous, spicy scents) and dislikes (fresh, citrusy, aquatic).
She told me this is all pine and fir, like walking through a wood at night.
And that I will definitely like (if not love) it.
And she was wrong.

While I do get some fir and pine and wood, it´s basically mint that my nose gets. And this mint, even if it is a top note, stays quite a while with me while wearing this perfume.
It doesn´t make it better that there are just enough orange and citron to be detected and the woody notes and resins are rather fresh.
She was wrong. I don´t love it, and yes, I don´t even like it. But what should I have expected from a SA? That she listens and understands? That would be to easy man... :D

Beside the fact that this is not my cup of tea, you can actually smell the quality in this scent. So if you are into this type of fragrances, you should definitely give it a try.

Sillage for me is weak to moderate and so is longevity.
Though I can see this perfume be worn year round I´d say due to the heavy mint note this is especialy good for summertime.

antfarm
antfarm

It's pleasant. It smells of a freshly shaven man chewing spearmint gum out in the bracing cold air of a pine forest.

It isn't strong. It is airy and transparent. It reminds me of a breath fogging up a window.

I don't know why there aren't more pine fragrances out there. It took me a while to find the perfect one. Velvet Forest Wood was too watery and I'm not meant to wear Quorum or Pino Silvestre. Eau de Merveilles was nearly perfect with it's strong elemi note, but it was very changeable on my skin. Sometimes it was ORANGE, ORANGE, ORANGE and sometimes ambergris and sometimes lovely piney smelling elemi.
I hesitated to try Nuit Etoilee because of the mint note. I'm just not a fan. Well, luckily it is very mild and natural smelling on my skin. Nuit Etoilee is definitely, for me, all about pine with a bit of orange and tonka.
It's a bit sharp, but never reminiscent of car air freshener or cleaning products. Drydown is deeper, more resinous with a bit of natural sweetness coming from the maple syrup vibe immortelle has.
Highly recommend this to anyone seeking a pine dominant scent that isn't ultra masculine Burt Reynolds style.

drakecito
drakecito

Sorry but to me, It is the worst creation of Goutal.
Not clean, not fresh, it is not strong, it is not dark.
A light balsamic notes that give me a strange odor.

Fortunately, longevity and sillage are moderate-low.

scent: 4/10
longevity: 5/10
sillage: 4/10

platinum14
platinum14

Got this yesterday as an impulse, unsniffed purchase. I love it!
... but, am-I the only one to get a Christmas-y vibe from this?

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I’m not usually a fan of perfume with such heavy woody notes, but I got a decant from a fellow fragrantican and was determined to give Nuit Etoilee a fair shot. I am really impressed by the uniqueness and style of this fragrance.

Yes, it is woody. The first 5 minutes were rather citrusy, but then a lovely piney woodiness. There are pine and fir trees here, but with an amazing sweetness; it’s either like eating cookies under the Christmas tree…or like lemonade spilled on pine needles during a deep woods picnic. The sweetness is not a candy sweetness, but it is lovely and mellow; as this scent evolves, it also gets slightly powdery as well, but just a touch. The mint and citron continue to add brightness and lightness, like sunlight glancing through branches.

After 2 hours, it becomes more powdery and the sweetness becomes more floral, with the unique herbal sweetness of angelica and immortelle. So “floral” in the sense of coming from flowers, but not in an overtly feminine way; these flowers bring the scent of ancient healing and comfort, but not a medicinal scent. With the pine and fir, the angelica and immortelle, the citron and mint—I feel like I’m the cottage of a wise and practiced healer, a midwife and wise woman. That said, I think this could be a really diverse fragrance, for any season or for either gender.

Sillage is fair, longevity about 3 hours and then fading to not much. A fascinating scent. (Of note—for those who have tried the Etsy micro-niche “Winter Kitty” scent by For Strange Women; I think this is a more elegant, sophisticated and complex version of what that scent was trying to capture).

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

This has a lovely bright opening - minty and citrus, very clear - and then becomes green, with tree resin and anise, before finally finishing smoky and (dark, unsweetened) chocolatey. What I love about Nuit Etoilée is that it plays between cold and warm, light and dark, masculine and feminine.
I can imagine wearing this in the summer, at an outside café table, sipping pastis, just as easily as in the winter hiking through the woods or sitting by a log fire. I find it lasts surprisingly well, and I get lovely whiffs of smoke, tonka or mint eight hours later. The sillage is typical for a Goutal: you'll smell it when you're close to someone, but you aren't going to knock out unwitting passers by.
I bought this "blind" as I had faith in Annick Goutal - I haven't come across any Goutal perfumes that I do not like, and I found a good deal with Escentual where they also included a free 10ml handbag spray in a really cute blue box. Perfect for topping up and travel!
My greatest fear was that it would smell boring, as mint and citrus with wood get used a lot. But despite the natural quality of the notes - it really does smell like walking through forests - it smells interesting, complex and different. Some critics feels this is not one of Goutal's best, but I strongly disagree. It works a clever dichotomy and smells just beautiful.

CabaretRed
CabaretRed

The lemon and mint give a crisp open, revealing a mid of sweet evergreen. This cold scent is lovely and simple, yet its lightness doesn't bar charisma or the base's virtue of demure sexiness.

Blue wolf
Blue wolf

I got a sample of this as a gift from a lovely Fragrantica member; so far it's my favorite from the collection she sent me.
I tried it before I looked at the notes, and I didn't realize there was mint, it just smelled like a breath of fresh air. The citrus and conifer didn't seem harsh, rather herbal or as if you'd crushed some needles beneath your feet. The top notes really didn't last long at all, but then my skin absorbs scent at a ferociously fast rate.
I get hints of the sweetness of the angelica, and the immortelle adds fullness to the tonka bean while the citrus and fir linger like smoke.
I found it absolutely delightful; I love tonka bean as a base because it's so rich.
Longevity and sillage are something that are useless for me to evaluate, as nothing lasts very long on my skin. I sprayed the Nuit Etoilee four times throughout the last hour, and already it is almost completely gone. What's left is lovely, spicy, and warm. Yum yum

Centsless
Centsless

Nuit Etoilee is unique. The combo of pine/fir came across too masculine for me, but the scent itself is nice. I wouldn't mind a room fragrance of this as it is calming, but I don't really want to smell like this.

kristina.l.myers
kristina.l.myers

Like a peppermint flavoured stick of rock with a touch of pine. Lovely. The only thing I don't like is the bottle - beautiful blue colour with gold accents, but it's too clunky. Not the pretty, elegant bottle I expected.

missy.stratimirovic
missy.stratimirovic

I so wanted to love this but it is disappointing. There are several rows of pine trees behind my house and I usually can't wait for summer to arrive so I can sit there during the hottest weather and enjoy the smell of pines, oozing resins and honey. I hoped that Nuit would be that thing during a summer night but unfortunately it reminds me only of a mint-lemon dishwashing liquid with a hint of cheap pine. So sad.

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

Natural, refreshing and easy to wear. Nuit Etoilee is a fragrance that recalls fond memories of family vacations to a small town up North where it always seemed to rain and the smell of Evergreens filled the air. It's incredible that someone could capture the natural scent of a Northwest forest and put it into a bottle. The mint and citrus further add to the bright aromatic smell of a real fir tree and while I do get pine in the opening, as it wears on the skin it's really all about the fir to my nose. I couldn't be happier with this.

happyscent
happyscent

Annick Goutal - Nuit Etoilee

Another comforting scent, the main highlight for this scent is the pine trees/conifers, light orange smell, and mint. It invokes a feeling of a walk in the forest with some orange trees somewhere. if ever you are nature lover this will carry you to that special place. :-)

kay0981
kay0981

Nuit Etoilee is a magical, aromatic composition inspired by the scents of nature. There is the sweet warmth of the woods and the fresh coolness of the night, brightened up by sparkling citruses. I really love the concept behind this fragrance; the bottle, the name, the colour – all match the scent perfectly. It truly resembles a cool, starry night in a forest...The dense, soothing aroma of dry pine bark is truly intoxicating, and the cool freshness of mint and citrus – invigorating. The mint, although quite prominent in the opening, isn't too cold or sharp. It's soft, sweet, and smells very true and natural, like a real mint leaf; rather than synthetic and 'toothpasty'. The drydown is sweetened by the immortelle flower, which has a thick, syrupy quality. There is also my beloved note – tonka bean, which is only slightly present in the base, but enough to give the overall composition some beautiful warmth and depth.

My boyfriend always says that Nuit Etoilee smells like a really good air freshner. Although I can see where he is coming from, I think there is far more to this fragrance than just that. This is a very rich, complex and unusual composition, and I think that it takes some time to truly understand it and appreciate its originality. To me, Nuit Etoilee is very special and unique, so special that I often cannot think of an appropriate occasion to wear it... Sometimes I like spray it just before going to bed, and wrap myself in its sweet, soothing aroma... But I think it could work quite well as a refreshing day perfume for the summer.

Overall, I'd say that Nuit Etoilee is one of the most unusual and interesting fragrances that I have ever come across. I really appreciate Annick Goutal for their quality and originality, and Nuit Etoilee is by far my favourite creation from this niche house.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Hell this is awesome! I was recommended this by you guys on the forum and I blind bought it and wow, I'm not dissapointed!
The initial spritz is very unusual in that its woody and lemony mixed together and I find this a strange combination of notes. The first 20minutes left me perplexed as to what exactly I could smell in this one, but having had quite a few AG fragrances I knew that I had to let this settle a while.
The pine note is very refreshing to me and it really complements the citrus notes. I am trying desperately to find peppermint in this composition but I can't smell it, perhaps I am anosmic, but what I do smell is a gorgeous, fresh, lemon fragrance which has undertones of pine needles, which just add to make this the most devastatingly unusual and enchanting fragrance. (I would love to try the EDP now).
Later on in the drydown, I find that the sweet orange helps to turn this into something much sweeter than in the initial spray.
Annick Goutal is a genius perfumer, I love her beautiful and artistic olfactory creations and this one is certainly art.
Whilst I wear this scent I can imagine a winters walk in a swedish forest full of fir trees which sends an aroma of fresh pine as the wind blows past my face.
Do I see a starry night? Not really, but thats what art is all about, it's the perception of the artist which is the reality, however I have a good enough imagination to let me transport myself into a wonderful wintery forest as the sun is setting and its rays stream through the trees.
Beautiful, mesmerising perfume.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

"Enjoyment in nature and solitude" indeed. I tend to veer away from scents with accords listed with green, citrus and aromatic together as many don't last above a couple of hours on me and I have to stick my nose to my skin to smell anything. However this scent keeps being recommended and I decided to go against my prejudice. Thank goodness I did! OK so I don't picture star-filled dark blue night skies (that's very much Vol de Nuit or L'Heure Bleue territory), but I totally am feeling the nature walk and the pure, pure air, the glorious fresh pine scent that sadly left me cold in Serge Lutens' Chypre Rouge. The pine here is practically joyful if a smell could be considered as such. The sweet mint and citrus notes are just as cheerful a note in this.The sillage is rather quiet for me (but I am rather fond of loud monsters of the Amouage kind)but the longevity is acceptable, around 6 hours now and I can still smell it pretty well around me. So if you are looking for this exact description: cool scent of woods and enjoyment in nature and solitude--> do try this scent. You will not regret it.

Atticusalexis
Atticusalexis

The bottle is a lovely shade of blue, almost like a starry night like satin blue. I have always admire annick goutal's fragrances but have yet to venture out due to many reasons. So, when chance presents itself in the form of this lovely bottle, how can one refuse it. I do not love it to bits nor do i hate it to the core. Nuit Etoilee is one of the more interesting fragrance that i have come acrossed for a while. On me, i get the sweet orange and peppermint strongly compared to what else i can detect. It wears demurely, soft, woodsy almost like soft leaves carressing my skin in the forrest. Nice work.

ian85
ian85

In my opinion, another masterpiece by Goutal.
I needed time to understand it, but what a beautiful scent to wear, when you want and where you want, althought I think it deserves better than an office use.
You can find in it its Family DNA : Sables, Mandragore, L'eau d'Hadrien, even Ninféo Mio...
If you like mint and citrus for the bright freshness (les étoiles), if you like pine and immortelle for the depth (la nuit), this one is for you. Average sillage and good longevity.
A nice trip in forest, under a "nuit étoilée".

[...] Mon auberge était à la Grande Ourse.
- Mes étoiles au ciel avaient un doux frou-frou

Et je les écoutais, assis au bord des routes,
Ces bons soirs de septembre où je sentais des gouttes
De rosée à mon front, comme un vin de vigueur ;
[...]
Arthur Rimbaud, Ma Bohème.

houzi
houzi

It's all about conifers and immortelle on my skin. They take the main stage, without being a single bit apologetic about it. There is very little room left for the other notes, which means that I can hardly detect any mint or citrus in the composition.

My skin seems to be really amplifying the immortelle. I am struck by its caramelized, toasty sweetness as soon as the perfume comes into contact with my body. Later on, it becomes aromatic, slightly spicy and almost smokey, like a crackling fireplace on a winter evening.

Christmas is just round the corner so a little earlier I pulled out a couple perfumes that go well with the atmosphere but otherwise don't get much wear from me, as I find them too self-assertive on most days (Jungle L'Elephant, Lolita Lempicka). Nuit Etoilee doesn't seem to have much in common with that lineup - it's not as conspicuous, and most definitely not a gourmand. But there's just something in the perfume's blend of coniferous and aromatic notes that smells very festive and joyous, and I'm not just talking about how the pine and fir notes bring to mind Christmas tree:)

It's a great Christmas, or wintery, perfume, but since it also makes me think of fields of tall grass in burnt yellow hues I'm presuming that it would be just as perfect on a late summer day in the country.

Very natural smelling, non-perfumey, holds close to skin but lasts a good while.

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

I loved the idea behind the fragrance, and the presentation and the top notes seemed appealing.

The opening is beautiful. The fir and pine with mint and citrus, superimposed on a subtle slightly syrup like sweetness, is evocative and truly lovely. On my skin this lasts perhaps only 20 minutes.

Then in the drydown, what is left is a steady linear accord that must come from the combination of angelica and tonka and immortelle all together. It is quite close and has limited projection but it does last well for many hours.

The drydown accord is fullsome, soft, rounded, gentle, mellow, subtly sweet and comforting, but to me it is not in any way masculine.

It's the sort of thing I might smell when I gave my favourite aunty a hug, and it is really pleasant and somehow comforting. Because of the drydown, I can understand how this might become a signature scent for some women.

I am going to keep a decant so that I can enjoy the lovely opening from time to time. Definitely worth trying

susannea

Lovely. Bought blind from TK Maxx 100ml for £30.Read the reviews here before I opened it and am not disappointed.I really like it and sprayed it on my husband too. He came downstairs to tell me he loves it and will be borrowing. It reminds me of Herba Fresca by Guerlain. What a bargain. I'm not worried about projection or sillage because am just happy to smell this on myself for a few hours and if I have to reapply thats great!

Camana
Camana

I really tried to love this- it is such a beautiful concept, trying to capture the idea of the sky with stars at night. But this was a failed attempt. I got none of the pine- just orange and peppermint. And everyone knows brushing your teeth after drinking orange juice is one of the most disgusting tastes ever. I tried this on me twice and also sprayed it onto a handkerchief, but could not tolerate it each time.

tweavin
tweavin

Maybe it's just me, but this smells exactly like strawberry shisha, with some peppermint and green notes added.

TillyWave

A cool, starry night, old growth trees with thick bark, mysterious moonlight, tramping on dried pine needles and leaves, sweet scents carried on night air, having no particular place to be but here. This perfume is one of the few that moves me to tears, I love it so much. For once there is truth in advertising.

kris919
kris919

I've been on a mint kick this summer, but I'm very disappointed in this one. On first spritz I get a boring lemon cleaner scent with a touch of mint. 15 minutes later, it's so weak it's almost completely non existent on me. It was pretty much gone within a half hour. If I take a HUGE close whiff, I can kind of smell a very vague fir note. no longevity and no projection. I'm never making a trigger happy blind buy again. Just because there's alot of great reviews on a perfume, does not mean it'll work for your own chemistry. Lesson finally learned..always sample first.

Jackson Spines
Jackson Spines

This is quite beautiful! On my skin I smell the mint, pine and citrus notes the most. I'm not usually a big fan of things that smell of mint but the mint in this is so refreshing. They sure named this fragrance right. It reminds me of a cool summers night where the air is fresh and picks up hints from the forrest. The scent smells "expensive" and I'm sure the ingredients within are high quality. I also have to mention the bottle. It matches the scent. Very lovely indeed. My only complaint is that the EDT version sits very close to the skin and doesn't project very well. It seems very light. Maybe the EDP version is stronger? I'm not sure. It's not enough to deter me but I thought it was worth mentioning. Bottom line, I absolutely love Nuit Etoilee and I'm sure this is going to become one of my absolute favourites! Classy with a capital "C."

sofiii
sofiii

Sweet, citrusy, minty, grassy, with a cooling sensation is what I get from the opening of Annick Goutal’s Nuit Etoilee. This stage is stunning, beautiful, as if I was camping in a national park in a summer night, let the breeze bring the smell of grass and trees, while watching the starry
night sky.
As the scent develops, the cooling sensation gradually disappeared, and leaves this slightly sultry-sweet, powdery, balmy as well as sultry/see air type of amber-ish smell (which is quite similar to what I can smell from Lolita Lempicka’s Coral Flower). Oddly I feel quite uncomfortable, and need some space mentally, I guess I can't do sultry powdery scent.

Nuit Etoilee has a promising start as I anticipated, if only it stayed that way and smelt of more a cooling, citrusy-dominant scent… Sadly, the dry down is a bit too overwhelmingly powdery-sultry to me (I’m not a big fan of LL’s Coral Flower).
Oh well, I’ve tried.

marenka
marenka

Spring in a bottle! Lovely!

ranchorita
ranchorita

I am new in my exploration of fragrances from house Goutal, but despite the great number of fragrances they produce, they will have difficulty excelling my experience with Nuit Etoilee. This sample is doomed and will be quickly consumed by my unslakeable thirst for this fragrance.

I normally dislike lemon scents in my perfume, but this one opens with a mildly bracing lemon/mint that thrills me. The fragrance then broadens into a forest of conifers. This is rather like drinking limoncello by a campfire on the first nippy night of the year.

Vie Cafe's description is wonderful, and she invokes the cleaning product vibe, though in a good way. I'm amused she said this, because when I wore this, I thought "if God had a pine tree freshener hanging from his rear-view mirror, it would smell like this." So would his urinal cake. NOT that I know what a urinal cake is or have ever seen one, since I'm female, but...

On that note, I would be thrilled to be in the company of a man wearing this, but I think worn with confidence by a lady, it will be to the enjoyment of all those around her, as well as herself.

This scent is a marked departure from my usual penchant for spicy and floral orientals, but what a wonderful departure it is. This is on my short list of perfumes I vow to own very, very soon.

this is truly beautiful. to me, this is a minty forest. and it's so good. what a unique fragrance. i tried this from decant recently and now i would definitely buy a full bottle. this is so refreshing in a whole new way. i also would wear this in any season, day or evening. imo, it's that versatile.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

This is my third Annick Goutal experience, and I must say, this house really makes original fragrances. With AG, we are miles away from the regular mainstream perfumes... each scent is a story, an experience, an environment.

Nuit étoilée opens with a lot of citron and mint on my skin and although the mint slowly makes room for the pine and fir, I get a lot of citrus the whole way through. It is sweet like lemonade is sweet, or like pine sap is sweet.... not like a gourmand. The tonka beans warm this scent up and makes the citrus bright and yummy and juicy and I believe it also helps the pine needles smell alive and green instead of dried up and dead (when they turn brown-orange).

I get a bitter/balmy/toasted note too, probably from immortelle and angelique and it reminds me of burning pine branches in the bonfire, except that there is no smoke.

It is extremely citrus aromatic on me, my skin pulling way more of the citron than the woodsy tones.

Like the first reviewer said, "Overall, this is a beautiful, cool night in a forest indeed [...] but there's also a lot of citrus going on that turns it into a very summery scent.

Well said!

It has a fun "cleaning product" vibe to it as well, but not the cheap synthetic stuff that we use in our homes, no... the stuff elves use in their "houses". (think lord of the ring?)

It is a dark night with lots of stars, but also a bright sunny day in the middle of a lemon grove...

In term of perfumes which remind me of night time, I have yet to find something as good as l'Heure Bleue, but this is gorgeous in its own way.

EDIT: wow, after wearing this for a while, the scent seems to mingle with my subconscious/skin to create a state of surreal happiness!! this is perfume therapy at its best. Haunting and hypnotizing! For a second I thought I was else where!

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Nuit Etoilee is a fresh, crisp, green and woody fragrance
Notably a combo of mint and pine, with a background of floral immortelle, that gives a roasted sweet kind of scent, interesting and exotic, pleasant and can be a very nice signature scent.

Berlynn
Berlynn

fresh and cool with the pine and mint, tranquil and mellow with a slight splash of citrus. A lovely and relaxing fragrance.

mimikins24
mimikins24

A truly disappointing gamble for me. I own and love EL Sensuous Noir and was hoping this would be a slightly less sexy and seductive pine based scent, as I find the EL to be very much a night time fragrance.

Unfortunately on my skin, Nuit Etoilee starts out as a blast of piney lemon floor cleaner scent. I was hoping the tonka bean would come out and deepen the scent, but there is absolutely no development for me at all.

Extremely sharp and pungent to the point of tickling my nose and throat and making me sneeze. Absolutely unwearable for me! Too bad because it sounded so lovely!

The silleage and longevity on this are stellar, on the other hand, which is sometimes a concern of mine with other Goutal fragrances.

To sum up, I must recommend that you try this one on your skin first, as it appears highly reactive to chemistry.

gweilo
gweilo

Amazingly, the test spray on my wrist lasted for hours and hours, well perhaps about five or six hours,which I find quite long, plus the drydown did not substantially change during all those hours. I say amazing because most reviews here said that it had poor longevity.
I do love how it smells - I find it so refreshingly and oddly masculine.
I'm planning to buy a bottle next time I return to that store.

TillyWave

I cannot say anything that hasn't already been said about Nuit Etoilee. It is magical, it feels like a breath of fresh night air, when the wind loses its heat from the day and it starts to get cool outside, and you can smell the firs, and the woods, and see the stars. Those nights, and this perfume, can make you feel kind of crazy and happy at the same time.
Balsam fir smells a bit minty/citrus/pine which they've conveyed beautifully.
Nuit Etoilee I think would wear well any time of year. The only reason I don't love it is because I wish it was stronger and lasted longer. The strength/longevity are not bad for an Annick Goutal, but I really wish this projected more and lasted all day vs. wearing close for 4-5 hours. Still I highly recommend this.

onebadbaby
onebadbaby

Wow! This is a strange and mystical fragrance. It begins with a fresh blast of citrus, and cool mintyness and then almost straight away it is followed by the pine.

It is cool and warm all at once. I can see the story behind this. It as if the mint represents the cool icy night air, then you enter the forest and the contrast with the warm yet fresh pine and fir greets you. Finally as you go deeper into the forest the air is warmer and you are surounded by the gentle woodyness of the trees and bark beneath your feet.

It is fresh and invigorating, yet very interesting. Absolutely unisex.

treehuger125
treehuger125

Amazing! Smells like after eight mints!

aveilhe
aveilhe

Annick Goutal perfumes have a mystical quality to them -- they call to mind forest fairies, nymphs, and unicorns. Nuit Etoilee certainly fits into this imaginative landscape.

Strangely, the notes here don't seem like they would work: peppermint and pine would not be my first choices for favorite fragrance notes (I don't want to smell like toothpaste, and I don't want to smell like a cleaning product). BUT...I find myself enjoying this immensely!

The mint in the top note is quite prominent, but it is tempered with a bit of sweet orange, juniper berry, and fir needles. This exudes a cool freshness -- what I would describe as "crisp." As the crispness settles, a hint of spices comes into play. I smell cinnamon and nutmeg (though not listed on the official notes). The honeyed, syrupy wonder of immortelle begins to unfold after a short time and grows more prominent and more seductive after a few hours. This mingles with fresh wood notes of pine and fir. This is not an intense, rich wood, but rather a bright, cold wood covered in snow.

I most often associate winter with rich, sultry, exotic scents, so to find a winter/holiday perfume that is refreshing and crisp (yet still cozy) is unexpected. As with most Goutals, the sillage and longevity is not great, but I think this fact adds to the mysticism and elusiveness of the AG fragrance experience.

If you've always wanted a signature cold weather or holiday perfume but don't like heavy orientals or gourmand scents, this would be one to consider.

I am not a fan of Goutal, but Nuit Etoilee captured my attention.It smells interesting, attractive also, then the pine note bothers me, smells a bit like a cleaner. So I am on the edge with it, I like the light sweetness also, I guess time with tell if I can truly enjoy wearing it .
Well I gave it to a friend, too masculine to my nose.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

For me very similar to Eau de Guerlain :)

Cereza
Cereza

Crispy and refreshing citrus aromatic scent, very high on citruses on my skin, mint is also present, but mostly this all goes around citruses. Fir and pine is also there, but almost not noticeable.
Even though everyone seems to love this, I can pinpoint few downsides to this "cologne" on my skin:
1) It smells like cologne and doesn't seem anything "unique" on me at all
2) I basically sprayed the sample all over my both wrists and it is almost non existent what so ever after an hour

It is good, yes, it smells refreshing and tasty, but would I buy this for the price tag looking at the bad longevity? I don't think so.
One date with this one and I would never call again.

Bettany87
Bettany87

I am getting a slightly different experience with the Annick Goutal Nuit Etoilee but an equally beautiful experience nonetheless. From first spray to dry down, this is a real gorgeous and creamy scent. I don't know why but I am getting a lot of freshness from the mint yet it remains luscious with hints of milky sweet nuts which I can only imagine is coming from the tonka beans. Wow! Such a scent that could evoke visions of dreamland. It stays close to my skin but still quite easy to detect its subdued but appealing presence. It is now my favorite scent from Annick Goutal.

Norgirl
Norgirl

This is just so beautiful. this one brings me straight into winter wonderland. whit crisp snow. Cold air.a walk in the forest just breathing in all the beauty off this presuos moments off peace . joy and happines being out and free off all burden.. A realy calming fragrance for shure.. This i just new i wanted a bottle off as soon as i tryed it. I did not think in a million year that this looking at the note whit pine and al would be somthing for me.. boy was i wrong.. This is the moste exciting experiance i have had white a fragrance in a long longe time .. I was just blown away by its beauty ;) .
Yes i had to try it a few time thinking can this realy be true ,is it to masculin.. do i realy want somthing like this whit this notes .. And all my heart an soul sayed yes .. i retested and retested his and could not get enough off it;)
A real gem at this time off year . whit cristmas coming up and for this moments you want to remember all the memorys off crisp winterdays and christmas times ;) Offcourse not everybody will feal the same do to different kind off memorys and such . but this to me hit home big time .
Want a bigger bottle off this for shure .. Bought a 15 ml but nead more ;)

Ouch!
Ouch!

Quite a simple but beautiful composition. They really were bang on the money with the description and feeling of this scent. The idea of a starry winter night is just beautiful and whimsical.

The scent opens with quite a prominent mintyness with greenery and pine there too. It smells very natural, light and effortless. It's incredibly innofensive and something different. It's one of only two Annick Goutal fragrances I've smelled and I really like the vibe.

The florals in this are delicate and fresh which would make this a gorgeous summer scent.The citrus element is also done so well it compliments everything fantastically without overtaking.

I'm not usually a fan of mint in fragrances but this one is nice.

When it dries the mint stays there but softens more letting the florals in the perfume become that tinge more prominent.

The only downside to me is that it just hasn't got enough punch! I like my perfumes to be a bit more fierce. Having said that..this perfume is supposed to be ethereal so it does it's job in that respect.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

I didn't expect to fall in love with this. But I have. This is a little gem to cherish...just lovely. It takes me to Estes Park in the winter after a snowstorm, the kind that covers the pine trees, the sky full of stars, then coming inside by the fire to drink hot peppermint tea. Yes, Christmas in a bottle.

Then there is the drydown. It is just heavenly.With a vintage feel. I get powdery, could it be the tonka bean and angelica? Because it cetainly is angelic. The pine and mint stays softly in the background. This is my first experience with Annick Goutal, and I have to say I am very impressed. It now tops my must have list...it's just lovely! This for me, is a Rocky Mountain Christmas!
Exquisite.

busik
busik

The first puff and inspired by the thought of the New Year. But somehow it quickly died down, and it was dusty smell past the new year, putting the Christmas decorations in a box for storage. And like a holiday, and it was over before it started (((

mic
mic

I bought this fragrance as a victim of the promotional campaign. I'm fine with that because it's Annick Goutal frag and it's one of the prettiest bottle in the line.

Although it doesn't quite remind me of starry sky in a forest exactly, it does remind me of the feeling of peaceful solitude in a cool winter night. it is a very fresh scent. Lots of mint, but not masculine at all save the wood. It actually does smell kind of dreamy.
Like all Goutal fragrances, it doesn't last long at all. Which makes me really sad considering the price.

However, I did not regret my purchase a single bit. I'm really looking forward to wear this in the cold seasons!!!

fillifelle
fillifelle

I have fallen in LOVE. Nuit Etoilee is a perfect example of the depth and soul of Annick Goutal's fragrances. I was initially only attracted to the beauty of the frosted midnight blue bottle. My first encounter with the fragrance found it too sweet. I didn't know how to appreciate the pine and fir balsam notes at the end. However, the salesperson gave me samples of it (after I have purchased another AG fragrance). Wanting to give this dark blue beauty another chance, I used Nuit Etoilee over the next few days after getting back home from work.

It grew on me. Like an evolving relationship, Nuit Etoilee got under my skin, and I found myself anticipating getting home after work so I can spritz it on my shower-fresh skin for the evening. I started to really BE ABLE to imagine the magical world that is bottled in this fragrance. The pines and firs in the frosty Siberian night started to beckon. And I am hooked.

This is a very comforting fragrance. It may not let you into its magical fantasy world easily, I am warning. But give it a chance.

oasis1313

Nuit Etoilee has recently become available in the Eau de Parfum strength, and can be purchased at Saks. The more potent concentration has better silage and stronger conifers. This is a beautiful, cool, evergreen forest scent. I'm glad to see the Eau de Parfum is on the market now.

moly
moly

For few reasons I love it: it reminds me of what my son smells like when we come back from a walk in frosty forest. Nuit Etoilee brings this association to my mind - of a crisp, biting air around in the coniferous forest hidden under the snow. Other association is rather summery - sometimes I pick fresh, aromatic mint leaves in the heart of the forest, they smell and taste much better than the garden ones. But this again brings winter to my mind - I use dried mint leaves to make a tea in the winter. And there's a smell of a heated pine forest cover in the summer during the drydown in Nuit Etoilee. Such a realistic interpretation, I really adore it. Like I adore northern coniferous forests in my country.

Annick Goutal is one of my favourite niche houses. I couldn't bring myself to hate her even if I tried. But I must be honest when I say that her new release, Nuit Etoilee, strikes me as being quite odd.

As a child, my mother would often make my lunch, aiming to keep me as healthy as possible. My favourite was her tomato and lettuce sandwiches, with a thin slice of mild cheddar cheese. For the first hour of wear, all I could smell from Nuit Etoilee was my mother's home-made sandwiches.

Essentially this fragrance is very green and fresh. It smells like a rain-washed garden, or better yet, a lush vegetable garden. It's the kind of scent I love smelling within my natural surroundings, but I tend to shy from wearing it on my skin.

I think if you like Ninfeo Mio, you may indeed enjoy this fragrance. Both of these perfumes really embrace that natural, earthy, garden-like vibe. You'll either love it or hate it.

The drydown smells less like a salad sandwich and more like a musty pine forest. Once again, I enjoy the scent on fabric or on a card, but not on my skin. The only time I'd really feel at peace while wearing this fragrance, would be if I were pottering around in a garden, walking through a mystical forest or tossing a salad. Unfortunately, I partake in neither of those three things all too regularly.

I must say that I adore the blue bottle, even though I think the colour green may have been more suited to the scent itself. I haven't given up on this fragrance just yet as I'm waiting for the weather to heat up before testing it again. On a more positive note, the longevity is excellent. Certainly more lasting than the other EDTs from the Annick Goutal range.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

Late fall camping and nighttime stars distilled into liquid magic. The sparkle of first snow amongst the pines. I would have loved this except for a pesky aquatic note.

mediterranean
mediterranean

Quick move from lemon to pine and spices. Very masculine and well blended. Like a stroll in the woods in autumn feeling the wet soil and the fallen leaves after a night of good sex still sniffing hints of your partners aftershave. This one is deep and daring and requires a lady with a pair of cojones.

mylancome
mylancome

Like less woody, westen style of Amouage Interlute Woman.

w.voermans
w.voermans

I would really love this. But on me it is very spicy.
I am a big fan of AG perfumes, but this is for me to heavy and on me it is very masculine. I prefer NINFEO MIO. I don't understand the name neither. I would use it as a morning perfume....And the blue bottle....Why not darkblue with gold and silver....

Lkrautter
Lkrautter

Dont judge this by top note.very very lemony at first, but shortly turns to pine. :) I bought this because I thought it seemed like coloradoe, and it does! Very piney. I honestly don't detect much mint.this would be a sexy guy scent.not sure about women's.

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

What a mysterious scent this is indeed. I have not been much to Mint, Pine and Fir, but in here.. these are so well blended, so beautifull way.. I can not describe it. I used to take them to be more notes of men scents, but in here .. wow, very much suitable also to ladies. Deep and mysterious. I love.

oasis1313

Really like this. Lemon is first out the door, then mint, then the pines set in for the all-too-brief duration, eventually drying to a powdery nonoffensive finish. It is beautiful, can be worn at the office with no complaints from your gassed-out co-workers. I'd like to see an EDP strength of this; perhaps it would have more staying power and present a more actual picture of the scent. This seems to be the most common complaint with Goutal fragrances--too bad the company doesn't take notice.

perfumepassion
perfumepassion

Received my bottle a few days ago. It was a blind buy for me, which I really don't do often and don't like to do. But I took a gamble; and won! Really like this. It starts out a crisp mint and pretty much stays that way throughout. The drydown does develop with a bit of sweetness, but still remains clean.

Zephyrae13
Zephyrae13

where can i get this beauty???? I've been dying to try this ever since I found out about it!

la louve
la louve

I got my blue-wonder-bottle today and I love it.
Smell a little bit like a orange-peppermint-chewing-gum...
I can smell also pineapple, its not listet... maybe because of the Siberian pine??? ;-)
LOVE FROM LOUVE !

akats
akats

I really liked it, but as it happens with other AG's citrusy fragrances, it vanished from my wrist after an hour. It is unisex especially when it is faded.

xabaras
xabaras

I tried it this morning. I spritzed my wrist generously and sniffed. And all I could smell was a sweet minty soapiness which actually disappointed me, because it made me think about those safe, mass fragrances we see everywhere these days. The ones you sniff once, decide to buy and when you go home you never use again, and even wonder what on earth made you decide to indulge and buy. So, despite tha fact I love the colour of the bottle and had decided to start discovering Annick Goutal's fragrances starting from this one (the name is so evocative, it reminds me of Van Gogh's troubled night skies...) I went out of the shop and felt it was not for me. ALTHOUGH...time passed by, and I found out that it had developed into this very classy incense smell. Strong, elegant,almost meditative fragrance. I think I'll go back and get myself a bottle of this beauty because it is special indeed. The drydown reminds me of 10 Corso Como, which I love, and I am once again wondering how it is possible that notes so different in these two fragrances take my nose to the same outcome... This is the beauty of fragrances and chemistry. More surprises like this one please!!! :)

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

Ok, so I must admit I am not a great fan of Goutal scents, they just don't work for me but this one...well this is one is a different story.
I sniffed it in the store first and thought 'yuck' but I got a little sample today and sprayed it on my skin and...WOW...this reminds me very much of Hermes Eau des Marveilles only less citrusy and more resin-y, love the pine-y citrusy/herby dry down very much. It's meant to be a unisex fragrance but I would lean more towards male fragrance because of all the pine/herbs etc. Having said that, I would quite happily were it myself. Think it would work particularly well in winter time as somehow I associate this scent with Christmas.

Bebette
Bebette

I keep finding myself coming back to this one, although I've yet to find a green fragrance I like, something about this just calls to me "Try Me" in the slightest whisper. Perhaps it is because my boyfriend and I both share the favorite painting of "Starry Night" by Van Gogh... A sample won't hurt I suppose if I can find one.

rainbow.owl2
rainbow.owl2

what an absolutely beautiful scent! it really does conjure up the impression of a starry night to me.

it starts off very minty as if the pine trees are frosty and gradually changes into a more pine-y & balsam note. it's quite unisex and not very citrus to me.

I'm not entirely sure that it is 'me' but it is really lovely and feels quite different from other scents I've tried lately. happily for me I was given a sample by a charming sales lady in Fenwick's, so I can take my time to make up my mind. She also said the scent was quite spicy on her, so it does seem to be one that should be tested out rather than bought blind, as it gives a different impression to different people.

edit Jan 2013 - I did end up buying a bottle and I absolutely love it! it's really special and different.

jannalev
jannalev

I love mint, and there are a lot of good minty perfumes out there, but unfortunately most of them are manly-unisex.Nuit Etoilee is a different story, it's feminine. To my nose it is definitely an all-about-mint perfume,pine is very-very subtle as well as citruses, they are just a frame for a beautiful soft and creamy (tonka bean, angelica, maybe orange)mint. It's a very Annick Goutal perfume. I guess people, who like Mandragore like myself should try NE, they definitely have the same style. It also reminds me of the Eau D'Hadrien (which I don't like), I would call them relaives, but NE is a more sophisticated one.

Catnip
Catnip

I admit that I usually don’t wear Annick Goutal’s fragrances, so this was a pleasant surprise. Nuit Etoilee doesn’t conjure up images of starry skies or the darkness of night; however, its minty opening, mingled with bright citrus, made me crave more.

I have been trying to grow sweet mint in my garden, and it reminded me of the freshly-cut and rubbed-between-the- fingers green leaf, a leaf that I would add to a cold glass of lemonade. It offers only a hint of sweetness, and the sweet impression is counter-balanced by the subtle woody notes that follow. It never truly starts to resemble a forest as it develops, but it hints at its ever-green fir tree inhabitants. It is a refreshing summer fragrance and perfectly unisex to my nose.

I never know what to expect from a “minty” perfume, but I agree with Ineverwas that it doesn’t make me think of toothpaste. The mint likes to play hide-and-seek, and I catch glimpses of it here and there even after the opening. Nevertheless, I find myself wishing it had clung longer and had even more of a presence. I suspect it is more of a top note, and thus, difficult to sustain in the later phases.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Lemon, lemon, lemon...unfortunately, that is all that develops on my skin with this fragrance. Even as the notes merge from top to mid, and into the drydown, I only find a citrus note with a very slight conifer undertone.

bluelilas
bluelilas

I'm soooooo disappointed with it!!! I was waiting this new creation from long time and I just tested it in the mall near my office. On my wirst it smell like an old and cold ashtray! So sad...I love soooo much Les nuits d'Hadrien or Mandragore...and I hoped that Nuit étoilée be in the same direction...never mind! I wait for a new creation...I still love very much Annick Goutal and her fabulous perfume bottle.:)

ineverwas
ineverwas

I've had the pleasure to test this in avant-premiere at my local luxury perfume shop and I'm wearing Nuit Etoilee on my wrist as I speak.

I can tell it's a beautiful, fresh, nature-inspired fragrance that on my skin develops into a bit more citrus (lemon in the forefront) rather than fir or pine. The conifers are there too but they keep in the immediate background and together with a very leafy mint (definitely not the toothpaste type here), they bring an authentic outdoorsy air to the composition. There's also a specific dryness that's apparent as the perfume dries down, that's none other than my lovely friend the immortelle flower. Works very nice in here.

Overall, this is a beautiful, cool night in a forest indeed, I do get the cracking cones metaphor in this scent (something crisp, woody, dry), but there's also a lot of citrus going on that turns it into a very summery scent.

Nuit Etoilee is perfect for hot weather, perfectly unisex as well. It's very beautiful, but I still think I prefer Ninfeo Mio for my citrus, woods and nature fix :)