Designers » A » Woody Chypre « Groups

Agua Brava Antonio Puig for men
dislike

herbal
Agua Brava Antonio Puig for men Pictures

Antonio Puig launched Agua Brava masculine fragrance in 1968 in collaboration with perfumers Marcel Carles and Rosendo Mateu. The fragrance is classic, aromatic, fresh woody chypre.

Top notes: bergamot, lemon, sage, lavender and juniper. Heart: clove, pine, thyme, bay leaf and carnation. Base: moss, sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver, musk and leather. Available as an EDC.

Lavender Sage Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Juniper

Carnation Clove Thyme Bay Leaf Pine

Vetiver Musk Sandalwood Patchouli oak moss Leather

Pino Silvestre Original
Acqua di Selva

Agua Brava Fragrance Reviews

richmilton
richmilton

In the winter I enjoy "piney" classic fragrances (e.g. Polo Green, One Man Show, Quorum), so I just added Aqua Brava to my winter rotation. Albeit I've yet to wear it, so this review is based on first sniff. I sprayed it on paper, I avoided my skin because I'm wearing something else at the moment and don't want it to clash. Anyway, the top notes of AB reminds me of Pino Silversete, but a bit deeper, perhaps more woody, and thankfully less of a chemical vibe than Pino. I'm looking forward to giving it a wear this coming winter. Thus far, based on first sniff, it appears this will work best on very cold or snowy days. That's what I've quickly learned with Pino... it's best on colder days, snow, windy winter nights. If it's too mild of a winter day (over 40F) then it reeks badly. Pino needs cold air to enjoy the sillage, and the difference is significant. I'm thinking Agua Brava may be the same way. Will update when I test it this January.

Satyajeet73
Satyajeet73

It doesn't smell anything like Pino Silvestre. I find it very green and Spicy with the bay leaf note in the play along with the clove. A classic fragrance that is unique and stands out even today. Wonderful scent....

Richard 1949
Richard 1949

If I was stranded on a deserted island and could have only one fragrance, it would be Agua Brava. I have used it since 1971, bought my first bottle in Rota, Spain.

There are striking similarities shared by Agua Brava, Pino Sylvestre Original and Acqua di Selva...but to me at least, AB 'begins' where Pino Sylvestre Original and Acqua di Selva both leave off...maybe it's the musk/leather in the drydown. There's just something "more" in the makeup of AB. And in my humble opinion, it's a genuine bargain.
Now...that said, recent bottles of AB don't seem to have the strength or projection of the earlier stuff. Or maybe, just maybe...MY body's metabolism and chemistry have changed. Still, it's my absolute, all-time favorite fragrance.
A tip: to get the most longetivity out of AB, try layering it with either Pino Sylvestre Original or Acqua di Selva. Since both Pino and Acqua di Selva are EDTs, they can extend the experience.
Another tip: use the deodorant! It will also help extend what we all love about Agua Brava!

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

Great cologne.
Starts with a very brief citrus top note that disappears in seconds. Unless you're actually with someone at close range when you first put this on, you're the only one who'll ever smell this part.
Then it's all fresh Mediterranean herbs: sage, thyme and the like. It's like having rubbed crushed herb leaves on your skin. I like this a lot.
It's an old-fashioned, masculine "aftershave" kind of scent. It smells of outdoors, summer, southern Europe. It's clean and rugged. Here comes the wannabe poetic bit : Think of a black-haired, sun-browned Spanish farmer getting showered and shaved ready for a summer evening out with his girlfriend. Before the days of mobile phones and when everyone had a car, he'll walk along a dust track, all preened in a white shirt and black trousers, past the sun baked allotments and herb gardens, on his way to her parents' house.
I would wear this when I'm in a manly, aftershave kind of mood. In fact I'd almost say this is the perfect splash on scent (almost, because I hate splash on). It just kind of fits with the feeling.
Projection and lasting power not that strong, but that's appropriate if you consider it as an "aftershave" type thing. I'd love to try the vintage version sometime too to see if the (presumably real) oakmoss would come through.
June 2016

Oldspice
Oldspice

Soft, herbal, pine forest scent. It's very, very close to Pino Silvestre, I probably could not tell them apart. Not bad but not for me.

sats2222
sats2222

I own three bottles of it....that says it all. A woody spicy and masculine fragrance that is quite unique. Good longevity and projection. Feels real fresh when applied after a shower. Great creation by Puig.

shamus1
shamus1

Unbelievably great old-school Spanish herbal chypre. Ignore the comments about this being reformulated and nothing like the older version. Some people are determined to find fault in any reformulation, regardless of the way it smells. It's nonsense, and this is still a great scent. Maybe it was reformulated, but if it was, the difference is nothing to cry over, and it hasn't damaged the scent one iota.

This is like a toned-down Quorum - extremely herbal, leathery, and full of evergreen vitality, but more subtle than Quorum. It's like smelling Spanish cooking herbs blended with pine needles, leather and patchouli! How awesome is that?

Perfect score for Agua Brava.

My rating: 10/10

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

This review is for the aftershave.

I was optimistic about blind buying this one but also cautious... sometimes you need to be wary about the linear and dated attributes that can accompany a 1968 release.

That turned out not to be the case at all, this is actually really nice. It starts out with a bit of citrus, then delivers dry, bitter yet gentle, green herbs. Alongside is a cooling, menthol-like sensation but no menthol smell.

Pleasantly light, no sharp notes.

If I can offer a situational analagy, Agua Brava reminds me of the time I camped at and visited the hot springs in Sierraville California. A pleasant temperature, a sunny day, a blue sky, beautiful rural, California terrain, and calming botanicals in the breeze.

This is going to be a great aftershave for spring and summer.

Rio Cappuccino
Rio Cappuccino

This is as close to Spain as I'm going to maybe get. Good stuff

missan

Another one great cologne turned into a synthetic cheap mess. Really not wearable anymore. Two absolutely great classics that is now a waste, Quorum and this.

Omega Man
Omega Man

I bought the 6.7 oz eau de cologne and it was a splash bottle not a spray so I use it as an aftershave. It's not overpowering which is good. If you like Quorum you'll like this. Very nice scent. Citrus clove and woody green. Masculine all the way.

NickZee
NickZee

This settles down to a sandalwood fragrance that is dirtied up by cloves, synthetic oak moss, oldskool leater and an austere, concentrated pine needle essence. I don't get any lavender. In fact, the pyramid makes little sense to me. I would turn up the lavender and patchouli, remove the eucalyptus and cloves to produce something cleaner and more modern. As it is, this fragrance is a waste of time when there are so many great fragrances available and so few wears available to one in a life time. Want to try something retro in the same space? Look no further than Tsar.

joenick68
joenick68

I was LMAO with the last review about this "terrible liquid" as "feelhot" said... but I think this cologne has its uniqueness, and is not for everyone but is totally masculine and I still would remember its notes if I come across with someone wearing it. I think back in the 90's when I wore it in a evening night out, I enjoyed just splashing it freely because it wasn't even a spray bottle, those years when cologne price were lower if you choose to buy the splash bottle, and I was not worrying about annoying people around me. Mostly going to the gay bar or gay place... and never got a complaint. I've never tried Pino Sivestre so I can not say if they smell similar or not but about Agua Brava I don't think is something I would wear now, since the times had changed as my taste too but I think this not a bad cologne and definitely is a very manly scent.

feelhot
feelhot

Where my true review has been cut off? Because it was true and it is pain in somebody's ass?
The best review is:
It's stinks!
I saw an old Spanish man at chemist shop in Spain, he was spraying this terrible liquid all over him-I run away:)

ps. And I love Pino silvestre and this stink is nothing like beautiful Pino, so why it is similar to some people? Maybe to these who has not any of them or maybe to them who just want to show off?

noyours
noyours

1984. Was good to have this fragrance. Exploitative change I do not know the sense of smell with the passage of years. Much like perfume Bacurban. Aramis. Quorum. Chanel. Aazaro.

Mancorp
Mancorp

As might be said of any EDC, "weak as water." Pleasant enough pine needle and fresh citrus smell turning to vetiver in the drydown. Splashed liberally, lasts about two hours. I use it in the evening after a shower and as a handkerchief freshener. For longevity, I prefer Pino Silvestre.

sranjit
sranjit

I agree with Kanak. For an Indian nose, the first few minutes of Agua Brava are pretty funny as the top notes remind of a locally popular mosquito repellent called Odomos. The first five minutes smell more like a herbal chemical warfare with a nostril-bewildering mess of notes. But one needs to be brave and patient to sustain for another hour or so to see what gem of a juice is this. The drydown is fantastic. After about three hours, it stays close to my skin and i can sniff it for another five hours or so. I think one way to use it is to spray it generously on clothes two hours before wearing them. :-) But for its thrilling start, this one is a master piece.

hadrian
hadrian

Being a fan of (almost) all the innovative mediterranean fragrances (from D's Cool Water to Annick Goutal's Sables and beyond), I can not stand to the Puig's Agua Brava. I really love it.
In Spain, it is cheap as a glass of wine. But, on a man's skin everywhere on this planet, this scent is a precious game-changer. Virile and always fresh, timeless and crispy - that's its legend. From 1968 until tomorrow, Puig continues to offer (on a leather plate) a pine-lavander-sandal treasure-juice.
Reasonably good in terms of longevity & sillage, even in it's "eau de cologne" form.
A deserved 8,7/10.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Smelled on a paper strip: I can't make up my mind whether or not I like this. It's very herbal - a cousin to Pino Sylvestre. I need to wear this for a day to decide.

It does smell vintagey... I like that.

flabbergas
flabbergas

i like this. it's a great cologne for every day use. traditional but don't think its only suitable for 25+.. in fact i find this quite a youthful scent. especially in warm weather, it gets a bit more warm spicy and for that less grandpa-ish.

agua brava reminds me of spain, where i grew up. a lot of pine, and a bit of a sharp citrus smell. when it dries down it gets softer and more herbal-ish. i must say i'm a sucker for this combination because of it's sentimental value.

if you like mediterranean fragrances you can blind buy agua brava, for sure. its a fresh, clean scent without the typical kind of cheap commercial soap smell.

kanak
kanak

This is probably a biased review and I will explain why. Agua brava is a woody herbal cologne with spices in the mix. good projection and longevity as well. now here comes the rub...it smells exactly like a popular brand of mosquito repellent here called Odomos. I had a bath, put on Agua Brava, step out to meet my buddies for coffee and boom "why you wearing mosquito repellent in the morning? you planning to go hiking or something? Is there malaria going around?" LOL, not exactly the response you want when you put on a cologne. And so sadly,that was that for Agua Brava. sometimes you associate certain smells with certain other non perfume products and once it's in your head, there is no getting around it. No fault of the perfume.

rod7elfo
rod7elfo

This is maybe the first fragance i choose in my life when i was a child. then many years has pass (something like 30) Agua Brava was discontinued here in México; and yesterday i recived it in my home (from Germany). I I I never thought that i will love it; the last time i had it i was when i was around 10 years old... and for the price... ther was no risk at all.
Here is what happends..

THIS IS AMAZING

Think in somethin between Tom Ford Italian Cypress and Frederic Malle French Lover... but 39dlls for 200 ml...

it´s true; in deep on my soul, i think that agua Brava makes me a Fragance Collector and lover even when i didn´t konw it.

Great fragance

I am in love with all that what this makes me in my life. Great memories; great woody fragance.

you can buy it blind, with out having any risk.

tavinver
tavinver

I Know about this fragance since I was a child, my father used to wear it, sometimes I do, it a everlasting fragance, cheaper and finest than many lotions of France, dominant, smells clean, remember antique perfumists.

Brain-in-a-vat

.......Ah yes; and nice green oval bottle with wooden top feels good in your palm.

Brain-in-a-vat

This is a great smell. I would never wear it as it is just too absolutely & massively strong, like all Puig fragrances, but its great to use as a room, clothes or car fragrance as it smells clean bloke-ish and tasteful in those arenas.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Q: What is made mostly of natural materials, skillfully composed using three gentle chords of citrus, pine, and moss, costs $15, and smells great?

A: Agua Brava.

Put simply, Agua Brava is a beautifully balanced citrus, lavender, fir, and musk fougere, classified as a "fresh fougere" in the early Italian mode of Pino and Acqua di Selva. I love that about it, but also feel it's a rough draft of Quorum (and perhaps now with reformulation it's merely an attenuated Quorum with more citrus). Either way, Agua Brava is a minor masterpiece. One more thing - I read in some reviews below that this smells a lot like Mediterranean soup. Can't say I get any soup from it, unless there's some super-citrusy pine needle soup out there that no one's told me about.

guacyra.monteiro
guacyra.monteiro

Hi, everyone! I'm searching for something about a Puig's fragrance named "ESTIVALIA". Someone can help me? Thanks! :D

rookie_me
rookie_me

I changed my mind.. Starting to like the scent. Even though it is very striking at first, but after an hour, I find it quite interesting.

gatsby
gatsby

happy herbs! Not bad at all.

oxm
oxm

I have a thumbnail of this fragrance, I find it a cologne that an eau de toilette, but this is something timeless fragrance (and here I repeat myself) back in time, when during the holidays as a child I felt this grassy notes of underbrush wood and bark brittle mixed with a good dose of citrus, was and is a fragrance for adults, the bottle is reminiscent of a pebble polished by the waves of a dark green glass on which is engraved the name Agua Brava, it's great to hear him in one summer night while the crickets are serenading the moon and bleach a garden in bloom.
Has not (at least to me) a good longevity, but
This stuff is really exciting, only to find the bottle gives me the impression of being in possession of a potion or a wizard alchemist ...
Merlin please buy it ... nothing spells.

ZELJO
ZELJO

respect to a classic, my dad,who,s 83,loves that kind of colognes and suits really well to the grey folks like him

Amos Jolthead
Amos Jolthead

I tried and tried to like AB, but couldn't. I don't get any citrus from this at all and I can't imagine anyone under 50 enjoying this. But, to each his own, I suppose.

moimeme
moimeme

Quite spicy, woody and warm,not quite lasting but very interesting, wore it for years as daily cologne, very classic, serious and recognizable.

editionblanche
editionblanche

sometimes when i feel tired of all those modern sweet/synthetic scents, i fall back on agua brava to take that nice bath of refreshing masculine herbs
i'm 25 and i love it,
and women do too..
the bad thing is that it lasts only a little

missan

It´s a very fresh herbal/pine/wood cologne. If you like pine, as I do, this is very nice and long lasting.

It is in fact better than nice. I believe the one I have is one formulation away, it has a line on the bottle below Agua Brava.

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

It is one of the very first perfumes I grabbed from my father, it was rather it is still definitely not for my age group. I think its for mature males. It smells quite loud and spicy perhaps unbearable to many and its totally a masculine perfume and no woman can dare to wear it. It smells rugged and rough & tough. It opens with blast of bitter herbs and spices and stays almost the same throughout its journey. Projection and Longevity is very well. It is a unique fragrance in its own way it is love or hate perfume like Grey Flannel. I have to go neutral about it. One thing more it can be made less harsh by layering it with some softer perfume like quorum silver. I like the newer version Agua Brava BRAVE which is in green bottle it is not in fragrantica database but it has got very peculiar aromatic/spicy fragrance.
I give it 6 out of 10.

cowboykenny27
cowboykenny27

Nice herbal fragrance , I really like it and used to wear this on holidays . I too have mixed this with yatagan & enjoy the mixture as i find yatagan on its own too offensive .

mehrdad
mehrdad

یکی از بهترین عطرهایی که تا به حال داشته ام و متاسفانه زیاد هم معروف و مورد قبول عامه هم قرار نگرفت و شاید یک دلیلش بسیار کلاسک و سنگین بودن رایحه آن میباشد
در بین دوستان و فامیل همیشه از این عطر من تمجید و تعریف شده و میگویند این رایحه انگار برای تن تو ساخته شده است
در زمستان و پاییز بهترین زمان استفاده از آن است
جذاب
گرم و تلخ
خیلی قوی
خیلی با دوام
نکته حائز اهمیت این است که این ادکلن را اگر در بازار با جعبه و شیشه بدون کیفیت و حتی درب چوبی بدون کیفیت دیدید خریداری نکنید که تقلبی میباشد اصل آن هم شیشه و هم درب چوبی و هم جعبه اش دارای کیفیت میباشد درب چوبی اش از جنس چوبهای بی کیفیت نبوده و ترک ندارد
عطری برای شرقی ها و اسپانیایی ها

Senzadite
Senzadite

A traditional cologne that i tend to blend with Yatagan...sometimes i spray this on the clothes and Yatagan on myself; great smelling woody and not overwhelming fragrance. Smells of herbs, citrus and wood.