Designers » A » Oriental « Groups

Calling All Angels April Aromatics for women and men

Calling All Angels April Aromatics for women and men
dislike

smoky

Calling All Angels is a natural perfume originally created for the Primordial Scents event organized by the Perfume Pharmer, in which participants created fragrances inspired by the elements: Earth, Air, Spirit, Fire and Water. Bochnig describes the fragrance as "A new rather dark and complex angelic scent, implementing the elements of Earth, Ether and Air. Made with love, inspired and guided by Angels."

Like all April Aromatics fragrances, Calling All Angels is composed entirely of natural ingredients, featuring certified organic and wildcrafted ingredients whenever possible. Calling All Angels contains no top notes, but features middle notes of rose otto, incense and honey, with a substantial earthy base consisting of precious woods, vanilla, opoponax, amber, elemi resin, labdanum, tonka bean, benzoin and frankincense (olibanum). Calling All Angels was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Tanja Bochnig.

Rose Incense Honey

Precious Woods Vanilla Opoponax Amber Elemi resin Labdanum Tonka Bean Benzoin Olibanum

Vento nel Vento
Gringo
Cologne Pour Le Soir
Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice
Myrrhae

Calling All Angels Fragrance Reviews

Q80
Q80

This one reminds me allot of "Vento nel Vento" by Bois 1920 and "Sanctum" by Ramon Bejar with it's Henna effect. This is quality at max and some sort of bless to my nose. It's not animalic as it is kind of dirty herbal, more spicy than sweet with MILD sweetness to lighten the sharpness of the scent.
I guess after all the year it came up in was the era of henna which is the sisterhood of the hyped of the OUD explosion.

It remains superb but it doesn't last long and i guess it's because of the naturalism of it's ingredients which makes it of a high quality.

SchopenhauersNose
SchopenhauersNose

April Aromatics is a line of both perfumes and cosmetics, including body and room mists and oils. Tanja Bochnig, the owner and purveyor of the company, is an all-natural botanical perfumer, so you won’t find any synthetic ingredients in any of her perfumes or cosmetic products. When I contacted her and told her I was interested in her line, she was kind, gracious, and generous with her time.

Calling All Angels features no top notes, but has middle notes of rose otto, incense, and honey and base notes of precious woods, vanilla, opoponax, amber, elemi resin, labdanum, tonka, benzoin, and frankincense. It was launched in 2013 by Tanja Bochnig. One of the unique touches about these perfumes is that each one comes with different ground semiprecious stones, which according to her website, “afford energy and harmony to the wearer.” For example, Calling All Angels is infused with clear crystal and Herkimer diamond, and was bottled on a night containing a full moon. Each bottle also contains 24 karat gold flakes which actually come out of the atomizer, and softly dissolve into the skin. Apparently one of Tanja’s close friends, a well-known psychic and medium, “channeled” this fragrance, and Tanja was able to bring it to life in liquid form.

The note breakdown is inevitably going to make this sound syrupy-sweet, but it’s not. At its heart, the incense remains churchy (i.e., “dry”) and the resins and honey notes only serve to compliment this. The frankincense smells bright, if that makes any sense, with almost a citrusy patina to it. It’s almost invigorating to smell. I smell sandalwood and a definite myrrh note. The dry down tones down the frankincense a notch and develops the sweetness of honey, tonka, and benzoin, but without becoming what I would call gourmand – which is fine by me, since I’ve never been an admirer of overly sweet perfume. I know that saying this really casts me far afield from the general opinion about this fragrance, but that is my honest opinion. I personally think a lot of the sweetness people are smelling isn’t made of gourmand notes at all, but emanate from the benzoin, tonka, and sweet myrrh. The ingredients have a brightness to them that is never found in designer perfumery, and only rarely in niche brands.

I don’t have the problems with it being too dense or thick, as some reviewers seem to complain. After all, that wouldn’t be terribly angelic, would it? I get about four hours on my skin, which is just about what I expect from an all-natural perfume. If you want more, that’s what reapplication is for. The people who buy and wear April Aromatics perfumes will inevitably appreciate them, at least in part, because they completely natural perfumes.

The one thing I don’t quite understand about Calling All Angels is the name. Judging from the name alone, I would have thought it would have been a light, airy, citrus, or perhaps something with prominent floral notes. This, as I mentioned above, has no traditional top notes at all and is mostly a balsamic, incense-based fragrance. Be sure to not waste this on a mouillette, since it only really blossoms on the warmth of skin. Whatever the name, if angels are attracted by this, they have spectacular tastes. Smelling this has only made me more eager to try Tanja’s other perfumes.

Addendum: Once I mentioned to Tanja that I didn’t understand the meaning behind the name, she told me that the perfume reminded her of church. So, church, incense – now the name choice is perfectly clear. This should make sense to you, but in case it doesn’t, she went on further to say that whether you like the name or not isn’t really the point at all. What matters is the essence, the art of the perfume, and how it touches you. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

halesgordo
halesgordo

Baklava at church.

Nosey49
Nosey49

From the name, I was expecting a nice, sweet gourmandish-like fragrance. Was I ever surprised! This is a huge incense, woods, and amber scent and reminds me somewhat of LADDM. The sillage and longevity are great. I really like it and, did I not already possess a primary and a back-up bottle of LADDM, would buy it now.

val11
val11

I have no clue why there are so many positive reviews of this line. I have tried the offerings in the sample set and they are all overpowering and unappealing to the nose. I paid $120 for a sample set and to not find one appealing scent in the bunch is unbelievable to me. I had high hopes based on the reviews. Save your money is my best advice.

janjanjan
janjanjan

Exactly what you'd get if you mixed Norma Kamali's Incense with a hefty does of honey.

Gardenia_Girl
Gardenia_Girl

Calling All Angels is both a beauty and a beast; stunning, rich and deep resinous, woody, ethereal incense. I cannot usually wear these notes as they tend to get too heavy but this is different, it has an ethereal air here that is rich and complex yet not suffocating. I feel like I am wearing a saturated work of art, it is all over and goes from being very sensual to almost meditative. I get wafts that remind me of the huge churches my grandma used to bring me in when I was young in Italy, there is a special air of divinity here. I find this presents many facets going from incredibly complex and ethereal to sometimes deeply sensual smoky resins a more charming woodsy and gourmand realm burnt sugar cookies. I love how one moment it is warm and resinous and the next transformed on the skin to deep rich smoky incense to warm woods and sweet honey. Definitely a cozy winter scent.
Update: layered this goliath of goodness with my fave rose scent (Rose l'orange), took this on another level of ridiculously good.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Once again, I thought I had reviewed this ages ago....
Anyway Calling All Angels is my favorite of the April Aromatic samples in my possession. It is a deep, sweet, woody, and smoky incense. It reminds me of the scent of night-time beach bonfires mixed with incense and honey syrup. The price is indeed steep for 30ml, but I have not come across many 100% natural perfumes that smell this good, so whether it is worth the price or not is highly subjective. I tested this perfume when I was pregnant and seeking 100% natural perfumes. I found the price to be prohibitive, personally. Yet I have not forgotten about it either--it smells fantastic. I could never tire of it. Sillage is very nice and longevity is great. I get a solid 8 hours before I would even consider touching up.

Update: Now that my baby is one year old, I still seek natural perfumes as I do not like to wear any chemicals around her. I could not forget Calling All Angels and ended up purchasing a bottle. I like that it smells amazing, and I don't have to feel guilt for wearing it around her. I also think this is a wonderful option for when I am in yoga class and don't want to wear chemicals. The bottle is very pretty with amber-colored liquid. There are also beautiful gold flakes floating in the liquid! They come out onto your hand when you spray, and they just melt away.

priyalugus
priyalugus

Too heavy -- an incense should drift heavenward, not stay weighted down amongst sickly sweet, cloying gourmands. Nope.

Mind you, I do love two of this houses' offerings: Rosenlust and Precious Woods, especially together.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed in this house. So far I've tried 3 fragrances from them, and all 3 were terrible in my opinion ( and that would be a compliment ), and for the price that they are asking, it's simply ABSURD!

In the beginning Calling All Angels reminds me of Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, it's very very close almost identical, so it's quite good ( in the beginning ). Then in the dry down it turns into something terribly awful and repulsive, the only thing I can compare this too is dirty private parts of a woman ( 3 days without shower minimum ).
Maybe to some, this can be attractive, but I was nauseated. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking where is this awful smell coming from, it was sadly coming from my arm, where I applied this fragrance before going to bed. My husband said the same thing, smells terrible like unwashed private parts.

It stays on for a while, very close to the skin ( thankfully, cause I cannot imagine torturing others around to smell this ).

It can be that it's just my skin chemistry :( But I strongly suggest try it before you buy it! I really hope I can save someone from blind buying this.

Lana148
Lana148

Sweet, sticky incense.

This combination in pretty unusual, as incense fragrances are mainly dry. So if you like honey-sweet gourmand and realistic resinous/frankincense - try this one out. This particular combination doesn't appeal to me that much.

I believe in general, ladies will appreciate this one more that men. I am very impressed though, because this creation is completely natural and as far as natural fragrances go - this one gets 5 stars.

oobunillaoo
oobunillaoo

Calling All Angels seems to seamlessly blend gourmand, resinous, wooded yet ethereal aspects all in perfect harmony. i find myself catching it at varying points of intensity; sometimes it peeks through when my hair moves, other times it unexpectedly hits me in the face. the cozy familiarity of it makes me feel genuine happiness, reminding me of baking with my Mom when i was younger. the recollection of Mom's sugar cookies baking in the oven alongside her favourite incense wafting through the house is such a welcome one; i truly sense actual tendrils of incense. for me Calling All Angels is a full-on sensory experience with the added bonus of pleasant memory associations. the balsamic and honeyed facets are executed very well, they don't saturate or drown out any of the woody dryness.

how this perfume manages to be beautifully rich and dense while remaining approachable and ethereal is a mystery to me. there is a subtle duality that keeps me interested throughout wear. sensual, warm, opulent, and cozy.

having extensively tried 3 now (Bohemian Spice, Precious Woods, and Calling All Angels) i'm convinced that, especially for an exclusively natural line, April Aromatics fragrances are worth the price. the thoughtful high-quality blends and superior ingredients, combined with the very sturdy and beautiful packaging, sets this range apart from many others and makes it one of the best in my opinion.

ETA - after wearing this for a little over 2 weeks, i'm noticing there is something that smells slightly fecal on me when wearing Calling All Angels. this also happened when i tried a Serge Lutens fragrance that featured honeyed notes. very recently a man said to me, verbatim "you smell really sexy but i also smell something that's close to spoiled fruit and i can't work out if i like it or not." i've no idea what could be contributing to this aroma or why i never noticed it in the first days of wear but thought it worth mentioning - definitely test this for a bit before buying. i was ready to buy a full bottle of Calling All Angels the first week of sampling and now i definitely wouldn't. that's ok though because this means i can buy Precious Woods now!

Dychotomous
Dychotomous

For a natural perfume this is indeed GREAT! But then comes the 'but'. Before I get into that, I want to try to describe how it smells like to me. To my nose this is somewhat similar to roasting smores ( graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate turned into a sandwich ) on an open campfire with incense royally sprinkled on the logs.(for lack of better explanation). It's definitely a gourmand incense. It's also rather deep, or at least deeper than I expected.
And here comes the 'but':
You have to keep in mind that this is a natural perfume, which means that it takes a lot of natural materials to produce these kind of fragrance and you definitely notice it in the pricing. If this was a car, it would fall in the "electric" cars segment. Meaning that it would mostly appeal a certain type of group of people with a certain point of view and requirements. And I do mean that in every positive way. For those who prefer natural perfumes ( for health or allergy reason, or natural lifestyle reason etc ) this is indeed no doubt one of the very bests out there!
But for those who do not mind to overlook all that and just demand a certain type of performance and price tag for their fragrances you might be faced with some issues with this fragrance.
For me personally I love projection monsters and fragrances which lasts at least 8 hours. However on me it lasts about 6 hours and just a decent projection. Mind you still it performs way better than many designer fragrances out THERE!
AND also to my nose I have found another fragrance which smells very similar (not a complete copy) to Calling all Angels, and performs way better on my skin. And that's Vento nel Vento Bois 1920.
Also personally I think my biggest disappointment with this fragrance is actually that I did not experience any type of angelical or supernatural feeling or Vibe from it. I KNOW the perfumer did not state it would and any sane person would judge a fragrance by it's scent and not by a certain metaphysical experience they hope they would get from it. But then again I do not consider myself falling into the group of sane individual and I have experienced a fragrance before which did give me a supernatural experience. And also due to the name "calling all Angels" I was actually hoping that after testing it I'd feel like I am actually surrounded by Angels. I am not religious or anything but hey, I am open to be pleasantly surprised.
But all I was left with is a nice experience of having smelled a top quality natural perfume. And I do recommend others to at least try this, who knows it might win a special place in your heart.

archivist
archivist

A gourmand incense - it's wonderful for half an hour or so, but then the heaviness just starts to weigh me down. It's heavy on both ends - heavy gourmand and heavy incense - and pretty much breaks in the middle. I love incense but this one turns my stomach after awhile, and I only put a wee dab on the top of my index finger to test.

deadidol
deadidol

Calling All Angels is a huge scent; a massive, sticky labdanum that takes Norma Kamali’s classic Incense and doctors it up with chewy honey-vanilla.

So many all-natural perfumes suffer from serious commitment issues, oftentimes doing a runner within thirty minutes or so. But with Calling All Angels, it’s the wearer who needs to prepare him or herself for a marathon as this scent goes on big and stays that way for 12+ hours. It’s totally dominating, and takes some forethought and planning to wear.

You get it all upfront: the smoldering Kamali-esque labdanum and myrrh alongside sticky gourmand notes that don’t read as sweet, per se, but certainly read as edible and chewy. These are flanked by sappy woods and elemi, and just a hint of bitterness sneaks through from the rose to render the overall effect as a wall of thick, goopy resins. It almost feels as if there’s a syrupy layer on your skin.

After ten minutes or so, things turn down a notch and the scent settles into an impeccably balanced and fairly dry incense elegantly merged with honeyed notes to produce something that is perhaps best described as “toasted”—like a gourmet dessert that leans more savory than sweet. It’s relatively smoky, and there’s an unmistakable dispute between the gritty resins and the sweet notes. For the most part, this phase stays the same throughout the scent’s lifespan: resinous and sappy, a marginally dirty quasi-gourmand.

I can’t state it more strongly: this is an exceptionally dense fragrance. It’s not cloying per se, but if any angels were to get some of this on their wings, you can guarantee that their aeronautic ability would be compromised and things would turn a bit Icarus. Although I tend to prefer my incense more liturgical, this is an impressive affair—and the fragrance that April Aromatics seems to be most known for these days. But just be warned: it’s a much darker scent than you might expect from a line that seems to embrace all things light and airy. It’s not as punishing as Norma Kamali, but it’s not exactly seraphic innocence either.

Roge'
Roge'

I've finally tried this fragrance and now I'm scratching my head at the reviews...Rice is the most popular food in the world but most popular doesn't mean "the best." The not so humble beginnings of Calling All Angels didn't start out so angelic as one would expect. I guess this fragrance had something to prove out of the gate and decided to blaze a trail with smoke. The celebrity notes of honey, labdanum and amber were inhibited by the aforementioned murky mentions. It took a while for this fragrance to get underway in showcasing it's true worth/value. At its peak, I'm left feeling like, "Is that it?" I've smelled sooooo many incensed-driven fragrances so therefore, I rooted for this one to be a bit different; kinda disappointed. In the end, this is an angelic scent with a devilish price point. It was said that Calling All Angels was made with love. If i had to pay with love, then this would still be sitting on the shelf.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

I cannot find the words to describe this fragrance. But I will make a feeble attempt. Bar none, this is the most realistic, beautiful, luxurious and enchanting incense scent ever created. It is candles burning, the ceremony celebrant swings the censer and the clouds of incense permeate the air. This is not a modern mass, but one of timeless dignity and mystery.

As others have described, the honey is very apparent, and it gives the scent a gorgeous sweet aura like some ancient sacramental wine.

If you've been searching for perfection in an incense based fragrance, you must try this natural perfumery masterpiece.

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

Really beautiful resinous rich "edible" incense.

The gourmands elements (Honey and vanilla) are major players here along with an unmistakable opoponax influence on the composition.

The incense here is the same clear stark frankincense found in Norma Kamali Incense, except it's tamed by the gourmand elements.

When first sprayed, the frankincense comes off as "dirty" and honeyed, then as the scent develops, it becomes smokey. This is the stage where memories of NK incense peek in and out but never see the full light of day because of the gourmand-ish reasons i mentioned above. I'm not saying this is supposed to smell like NK incense, i'm just stating the similarities and differences :)

Being an all natural incense based perfume, this scent is extremely enjoyable to watch as it develops: Layers after layers of resins and edible notes peak in and out, disappear then come back again, all for the sole service to create a truly unique incense perfume.

This might not be an instant love for the hardcore incense lovers out there who like their incense to be copal and unapologetic, but with more wearings, this all natural beauty is sure to lure them in.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

This is absolutely gorgeous and completely FBW.
Perfectly named, it's an incense perfume that somehow smells sweet, conjuring images of fat cherubs cavorting on the walls of an ancient cathedral.
I love the vanilla/tonka bean combo as a support for other notes. Here, it's sweetened with honey and used to underpin the main incense/labdanum chord. Heaven!
This is one of those perfumes where the wafts smell completely different from what you get when you go in for a sniff. The wafts are all sweet incense. Wrist sniffing yields amber and woods. I'm not a huge fan of this base note- too much amber for my amber-phobic sniffer. So I wave my wrist in front of my face when I want a pick me up. By the next morning the woody amber has departed leaving a trace of the vanilla sweetened incense still clinging to my wrist.

Edit: My son says I smell like marshmallows. I'm guessing he means the kind toasted over a campfire since that's the kind he's familiar with and it's a perfect description of the smoky sweet, slightly burned note in this perfume. mmm.

Edit: this is becoming my go to scent for important days. It doesn't feel like I put this on so much as I anoint myself with it. When I need every blessing I can muster, I call in the angels.

muskymoi
muskymoi

A completely astounding sexy smoky and potent perfume. Will be adding this and nectar of love to my collection,. Must haves. Think of a boudoir in a church. If you dare.

MariaMundera
MariaMundera

When will this be available in the US?
I have been waiting to be able to purchase this in the States.
I have tried a small sample of it and am absolutely taken by this most amazing incense scent. Its my all time favorite.
I have tried a few more of this line and am in love with each one of them. Esp. the earthy ones: Precious Woods and Bohemian Spice are Masterpieces!!!
I have friend who buys this in Europe and brings it over for me each time he travels…
Hope to see more of this line soon.

slundberg
slundberg

As a lover of Natural's, I often am disappointed in the longevity and complexity of them. I must say that April Aromatics does not fall into that list. Calling all Angels, is a beautiful example of perfection from beyond the realms of Earth. Yet it, connects the realms and provides assistance with it absolutely stunning Incense notes. I adore this fragrance.. Well done!

Ginkgooo
Ginkgooo

Love it, have it, have all of them but Rose l'Orange. Calling all Angels gives me the wings I need for a lovely day. Am grateful.

Antares
Antares

One of my all-time favourites, a top3 scent I ever had and cannot miss anymore. with aprilaromatic scents I have learned the important connection between skin and scent, a fragrance what evolves only that way.. and so incredible longlasting, lovely and based on natural substances, what is essential to me. Calling all Angels.. magnifique in both ways, odour and mind, I adore the spirit of heaven

april aromatics
april aromatics

A beautiful review of Calling all Angels by Eiderdwon Press:

I’m not sure if a more saturated incense perfume has ever been made; it has a density that reminds me of oatmeal cookies, and a smell that makes me think, not of churches, but of how I imagine certain artifacts would smell in the Egyptian wing of the Met, if one was allowed to get up close and personal with them. Myrrh, incense and tobacco, sandwiched between the folds of a honeycomb, is how this perfume smells when it first hits my skin and for a long time thereafter—and though this next statement probably sounds more weird than attractive, I’m going to throw it out anyway: When I smell Calling All Angels, I think about the food, wine, oils and perfumes that were placed in the sarcophagi of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs. It smells like what I’d like to imagine provisions for the afterlife would smell like: rich and sustaining, with a dramatic darkness that is both reminder and symbol of life’s melodramas … a promise of the entertainments that await the pharaoh on “the other side.”

Balsamic, resinous, smoky, winey and sweet in the way that an English plum pudding is sweet, Calling All Angels is not for the faint of heart. It’s the kind of scent you’d suspect would be attractive to people who already have the life-force flowing in them strongly … the kind of people you think of as being either adventurous or curious enough to go out on a limb to claim the kind of life they want for themselves. Considering that most days I am neither of those things (much as I would like to say I aspire to them), you would think this scent would scare the pants off of me or that I’d feel unqualified to wear it, and yet it very much appeals to me. This is not a perfume I could wear everyday—it’s that bracing—but I think that’s the whole point of it. It’s a perfume created with the intent of opening up its wearer to feeling a sense of supernatural support.

As it dries down, there is a period in which the scent has spicy nuances of clove (I should note that some of the things I smell in this perfume aren’t accounted for in its list of notes—they are what my nose smells, not what the perfume is comprised of). After some hours of wear, the myrrh and frankincense fade away and what is left behind in the final mellow stage of this perfume is a scent that smells like a combination of light amber and a tobacco-like vanilla, lightly resinous and weathered smelling. It, too, can be enjoyed for a humming long period of time and is quite rewarding.

Not easy to describe, because CALLING ALL ANGELS seems to come directly from a room beyond the words. CALLING ALL ANGELS gives you hope and reliance, gives you strenghs and belief, whenever you need...
the scent is deep and long lasting, it has the power you need angainst the cold.
the whole athmosphere is rich and warm and full of highest quaility.
wearing CALLING ALL ANGELS is creating an athmosphere of worth and holiness, probably because of incense, but mostly because of something you can not describe. CALLING ALL ANGELS is able to connect with your skin. it is magic.
as blueflowerlady says: A MASTERPIECE!
Thank you Tanja for giving us this wonderful ambrosial and magic Perfume.

ylangylang1
ylangylang1

Tanja has created a truly rare and precious natural perfume with her "Calling All Angels" This scent is not like any other perfume put there, of any kind. It has rich, deep and lasting olfactory notes which envelop the wearer in a cloud of ancient and comforting layers. Kudos to her for being able to pull this one off. She has put in the time, work and study a produce a perfume of this magnitude. It is one for the ages. DF

Ilovenature
Ilovenature

The best incense perfume out the there…

Unicorn1
Unicorn1

Calling all Angels is for me one of the best incense perfumes out there. It is warm, sweet, earthy and very resiny...that's why I guess it lasts so long. The quality of the ingredients truly confirms a very natural approach, yet it is not like an aromatherapy scent, it has a very high quality to it, a master piece for me...I love this for the colder winter month. One spritz goes a long way...
I give this scent 10/10 rating.
Love.

blueflowerladyscent
blueflowerladyscent

A Masterpiece....I am addicted to it...LOVE