Designers » A » Woody Chypre « Groups

Aramis Aramis for men

leather
herbal
Aramis Aramis for men Videos
Aramis Aramis for men Pictures Aramis Aramis for men Pictures Aramis Aramis for men Pictures

Aramis was created in 1966 and dedicated to men who appreciate tradition and classic, and this is the reason why this perfume is always modern.

The composition is built around woody, sharp notes, which are very powerful and masculine. Aramis is one of the few contemporary fragrances in which the well-known intensive leather note can easily be recognized. Aramis is one of the brands belonging to Estee Lauder. It is very popular in America, where fragrances with a stronger character are preferred.

The opening notes are grassy green and fresh, spiced with cinnamon. The heart is woody with pelargonium, which possesses an intensive floral-spicy aromatic scent. The perfume ends with a massive leather note.

Top notes: artemisia, bergamot, cinnamon, gardenia;

Middle notes: pelargonium, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood;

Base: leather, oakmoss, amber. The nose behind this fragrance is Bernard Chant.

Aldehydes Artemisia Gardenia Bergamot Clover Thyme Myrrh

Panache

Aramis Fragrance Reviews

sweetsmellingmama
sweetsmellingmama

This, to me, is a unisex scent. It is absolutely spicy and woodsy. Very nice.

eliweisz
eliweisz

The ultimate masculine fragrance - bold, complex, uncompromising. One of the last - and probably the best - true powerhouses still available. Don't let the harsh, idiosyncratic opening deceive you - in just a couple of minutes Aramis settles down, turning into a supersmooth, invigorating and exciting scent. It has a dirty note about it, blended without any contradiction with clean, soapy elements. No complaints in the sillage & longevity department (don't overspray!). A timeless masterpiece, suitable for everyone who can appreciate a real men's cologne.

sproaty
sproaty

Today, Aramis finally clicked. I remember really really disliking the opening and when I sniffed it today it actually pleasantly surprised me.

I think I've somehow grown to appreciated these older scents - things like Givenchy Gentleman, Kouros don't make me go "ugh" now. But holy shit this smells so damn smooth and classy in its dry down. It's exquisite. Really need to give this more testing now

Greco
Greco

Reminds me a bit of Kouros but smoother

asmanroychoudhury
asmanroychoudhury

This is my favourite perfume since the day i got my hands and nose on it. Fantastic phenomenal fragnance. The artemisia and bergamot with cinnamon creates an exceptional opening vibe and at the middle patchouli /vetiver and at base is lovely leather oakmoss. All of these create sensual masculinity.

Aramis never miss to impress. It doesnt take hundreds to dollars of worth crystal bottles and niche arrogance to create an eternal fragnance. All it needs are few drops of exceptional moment of pour genius and love.

Buy, stock, re stock at any price. I have 5 bottles.

Cheers

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

I was very young in the 70's, I remember this fragrance being a real attractive masculine aroma. When I take a whiff of this juice it all comes back..a spicy/myrrhe blend with leather vib..an image that is famous of Burt Reynolds in the buff in centerfold of Cosmo. A sophisticated/manly aroma which will be hard to surpass since Estee Lauder realised it in the 60's.
Longevity and Silage is excellent lasting over 8hrs
Finally,
This is a TRUE iconic men's fragrance, it's not a old man's cologne. If you enjoy a real strong masculine woodsy/powdery/spicy aroma...this is it. A real MASTERPIECE, a lot of nieche fragrance are of a similar quality today. 10/10...I LOVE this juice. Every time I smell this juice it brings me back to youthful days.

houtstemmer
houtstemmer

Reviewer greystone's very funny comment could not have been more appropriate. This juice really stinks. Then how did it end up in my collection? Well, I was looking for a leathery scent and came across Aramis. For a blind buy how an eye-opener it was! Of course there are the intense leathery and woody notes which I do like, but a pungent urine note ruins it all. This eau de toilette is utterly repulsive.

on the noze
on the noze

I remember the allure of this fragrance from over 35 years ago. 1980, I was 14 and my Grandfathers business partner wore this as his signature fragrance. Even at the tender age of 13, I was so very drawn to this scent, and possibly the man wearing it! Oh I know! Naughty.
Seriously, absolutely swoon worthy but this was my memory of a relatively early formulation.
I hope it remains the same but for 30 years plus, I seriously and sadly doubt it. A 'true'' Gentleman's scent.

tkhan6
tkhan6

The people mainly the men who do not like this cologne, are probably prepubescent teenagers or man children who wear skinny jeans and backwards baseball caps. This is a very strong and musky cologne, it may seem like it is for an older man, but this is the kinds cologne Dean Martin would wear, this cologne is strong, it is masculine, it is mysterious it is Aramis.

velgasius
velgasius

Very very clean smelling from start to finish but it isn't a soapy or mint sort of fresh, it's the florals. It does start out with a lot of vvetiver but it isn't bitter, it just adds that dusty paper-like smell to the fragrance, and after 3 hours it just smells plain clean and fresh. Lasts a long time, worth a buy. Smells very very versatile in my opinion.

KingKouros
KingKouros

I love Aramis. Absolute MASTERPIECE. Bought it on ebay. A must have without a doubt!

Smoky, leathery, woody, perfect.

10/10.

Carlos is an icon
Carlos is an icon

Christmas late 70s either Towering inferno or Morcorbe and wise. Uncles turning up for the Christmas dinner with unbuttoned shirt hairy chest and medallion...........Hello Aramis you still stink of sweaty leather! But I love it x

sir reeksalot
sir reeksalot

my favorite safest cologne to wear flowery ending in powder.funny thing here is i bought a bottle at the store about a year ago.i also got one from forever lux (e-bay)and it has that almost urine smell opening that i recall from old aramis.the store bought one lasts longer but doesnt have that old urine scent which i never really understood.both turn to powder eventually.aramis is the only cologne i miss while i go through my cologne rotation,so at night i spray some on my hand just for me.

no-fi
no-fi

This is Bernard Chant's masculine masterpiece. He took the exquisite leathery chypre foundation he laid down with Cabochard and amped up the patchouli and spice, toned down the aldehydes and florals, and stripped away the superfluous fruit and tobacco notes. The result is a fragrance that is more singular, masculine and immediate - and a true classic.

Aramis is all about the leather, moss, patchouli and spices. It doesn't develop much on the skin, aside from the sharp, spicy notes warming and mellowing as the hours go on. The projection starts off strong before slowly fading until it becomes a pleasant skin scent in the late dry down.

For a classic scent, it is surprisingly versatile and easy to wear. Unlike many classics that call for a smart shirt and suit, Aramis can be dressed down with jeans and T-shirt, or dressed up for the office or formal occasions. It shines in cool weather but can be worn day or night, hot or cold, in any season. I also don't see this as an 'old man' scent - I'm 33 and it doesn't feel out of place. Even men a decade younger could wear this.

Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of this masterpiece is its price. You'd be hard-pressed to find another bona fide classic that's anywhere near as inexpensive. There's really no excuse for not having this in your wardrobe.

Nuitdenoel
Nuitdenoel

I love this fragrance on my husband. I must be part of a Bernard Chant cult because my signature sent is Aromatics Elixir, my mother's is Azuree, and now my husband wears Aramis. This is a sexy, masculine sent that fits my husband perfectly. It is herbal and woody with just a hint of spice. My husband is the pinnacle of what I consider a masculine man; he was a US Marine, law enforcement, and now works construction, but he also has an intellectual, creative, sensitive side. He is a lifelong student and musician. I think Aramis is great at capturing that juxtaposition of a hard working man during the day but turns around and is either playing or in a box seat at the symphony or opera. It's the best scent I have ever smelled on a man.

Anand_R
Anand_R

Mandatory Classic

Probably one of my all time personal favorites. I always fall for classic, old-school scents but I had no memory of this perfume, before I got myself a bottle. As soon as I sprayed it on, I was reminded of many different 'moments' from my childhood where I distinctly could place this smell. Some old uncle, my dad's friend..someone or the other has worn this in the past and, most probably, still does. It's 'the' classic scent.

I really can't add much to the previous reviews. It's been around since 1964! A mind-boggling concoction of a bright floral accord with aldehydes, dark and rich leather and a generous dose of moss. With one of the most beautiful sandalwood-patchouli-amber drydowns, ever! Lasts more than a day and projects like a monster. I use the Concentree version and it lasts for 2 days on my clothes.

I usually don't believe that perfumes have a gender, but some do tilt one way or another strongly. This is definitely and brashly masculine. And at the price it sells for, it's a steal! If this was released today by one of the 'niche' houses, it would cost a fortune.

Absolutely must try classic.

moawiya.alanazi
moawiya.alanazi

I'm 26 and i just bought it i deserve a nobel prize.

i'm thinking that this one will dethrone my boss number one in regards of performance, yes this is the one-spray-all-i-need i was looking for after boss number one was vaguely reformulated.

rakan1985

100% night fragrance
old-school fragrance

Francie Taylor
Francie Taylor

Fragrance is always associated with a memory for me. In 1974, I was 21. It was sometime during the week after Christmas and before New Years Eve. I was flying home to El Paso, after spending Christmas with my family in Seattle. There was about a two hour layover in Denver. Right after I entered the terminal, I smelled the most wonderful scent. It was delicious and so was the older man wearing it--he must have been about 40. I had to know what that fragrance was called. He was a fast walker and I followed him all the way across the airport, before finally stopping him to ask what cologne he was wearing. It was Aramis. I don't think I've had that kind of reaction to any fragrance, men's or women's, since. If I catch a whiff of it anywhere, I'm instantly 21 again, following strangers in airports.

tp53
tp53

Recently wore this at graduation! Sillage was beastly. The longevity was about 3 hours (I was in a humid arena the entire time packed with thousands of folks). Great scent, though! Just don't expect anything sweet or androgynous with this thing.

GRAF
GRAF

Aramis is a classic masterpiece. One of the best masculine fragrances ever made. Classy, strong and heavy, warm and rich, intoxicating, woody and spicy, leathery, dry and sweet, deep and sexy, a brutal scent for seduction.

The longevity and the sillage are monstrous, just two sprays and you fill a whole room. Every single person in 2 meters radius can feel you. This is not for boys, it is a men's fragrance, very close or above 30 years old. I reccomend it for winter and autumn or even spring if you have cool temperatures for night adventures with women or for something formal.

The most distinguished notes I get are myrrh, aldehydes, leather, oakmoss, patchouli, jasmine, musk, vetiver and orris root. You actually can detect every single note from the list above.

When I smell it I have a picture of a nicely tailored suit and Aramis, luxurious cars, opera, seduction and sex. It boosts the self-confidence to reach your goals. A powerhouse fragrance for the man who knows what he wants. The epitomy of masculinity. This is a piece of perfume history. Aramis will never go out of style! This is the legendary Aramis!

Forget Freeman
Forget Freeman

Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star would wear this.

It's Manliness in a bottle.

That is all :)

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

I am a guy who loves unisex fragrances. I don't believe in traditional gender roles and believe in expressing yourself without stereotypes and judgment. Often this shows in the fragrances I wear. But on the occasion when I just want to wear something crushingly manly and embrace my masculinity to the max, this is when I grab Aramis.

I love Aramis for it's bold, vintage, rich, complex, unapologetic formula. This fragrance is earthy, herbal, leathery, and rich. It's heavy handed on the oakmoss, leather and earthy patchouli. Sage, thyme, myrrh, artemisia, jasmine, cardamom and frankincense play clear supporting roles in this act as well. The drydown is woody but has a clean, classy shaving cream vibe to it. I actually find this to be year-round appropriate, especially the clean drydown.

This is truly a classic. At first I didn't understand it and wrote it off, but the moment it clicked, I had to have it. Every time I wear it, I swim a little deeper into its depths and discover small nuances in hidden deep below. If you hate this, it's probably because you need to get to know it better and let it unravel.

marioslg3

If i had to choose only one perfume, the most masculine, unique, classic, attractive, styled, mature, this will be my choice....no doubt!!!

ajitpattnaik
ajitpattnaik

1st point its very strong and so strong. 2nd point is most people don’t like it. I got one when I was kid. After 20 year I took my 2nd chance.
You may use it for outdoor and party outside. Its smell like gum cum out of wood. And it’s very intense as well. One small bottle will go for years.
Don’t even think about it if you are going to office. Use a tester before buying it.

theo.sudarja
theo.sudarja

Tested on: paper.

Big impression, punch you in the face. Love this kind of classic masculine. Disappointingly just average drydown.

Would I buy this:
I'll have this someday, to complement my collection. But not for now.

BigBootsie
BigBootsie

In a world that is cluttered with overly sweet smelling men's fragrances and other very non-descript scents, this classic is a welcome change. I used to splash on some of my Dad's Aramis cologne when I was a kid. It was also my first bottle under the Christmas tree when I was in 8th grade. Somewhere along the line I lost touch with Aramis and began dabbling in the other popular scents of the day, which eventually lead to a real dissatisfaction with what was being marketed toward men. Sure, there are many new fragrances today that smell quite lovely, but they aren't something I want to wear. The majority of modern scents smell unisex to me. When my wife brings home a pile of samples and declares that she'd love to wear the majority of them, I realize that this may indeed be purposeful design. The perfume companies are in the business to make money! Aramis has made its mark for well over fifty years now, and a lot of money as well. It may have been reformulated, but it remains true to the original and I for one am thankful to have become reacquainted with this old friend. Aramis is and will always be my first and fondest fragrance.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

A classic men's cologne of the highest caliber. The price might be cheap but the scent is not. The man who wears this fragrance is very masculine, takes charge, makes important decisions for the benefit of a lot of people, he's successful, ambitious, assertive, a risk taker, confident, sophisticated, intelligent, proud but not arrogant, strong but not a macho jerk, and elegant without being effete. He is a man of many talents and interests. This drug store cheapie gets the unfortunate reputation of being a "grandpa" or older man cologne just like with Ralph Lauren's Polo Green. Stuff and nonsense. This is a wonderful aromatic and brilliant cologne which has no age group. I do prefer to smell this on a man and don't care for it on myself - unless the gentleman in question who is wearing it has been kissing me and doing other things. The scent can rub off and fill the air as it is that strong. It's a classic men's chypre. It's mostly leather, strong masculine leather but not in biker gang type of leather. It just smells like luxurious expensive leather. The scent is one I enjoy on men a lot and one that smells great in the air as it wafts up from wherever they sprayed it and onto the air. It has an opening of classic aldehydes but they are not as potent as the women's perfume aldehydes just there to give it oomph and freshness from the beginning. It has citrus and cinnamon and I can smell both. The heart and base note are what most make up this scent. There is patchouli doing it's aromatic dance. Smoky like incense. Then there is sandalwood and vetiver and that oak moss that makes this a truly beautiful chypre. It's complex as it has many notes including even a few flowers namely clover and gardenia as well as jasmine. But the scent is mostly spicy aromatic strong patchouli and leather. Sometimes I feel it has the same kind of strong but elegant vibe as Safari Ralph Lauren. It smells luxurious and yet casual too. It is flexible enough to be worn with your casual clothes, your work/business wear, and your tuxedos. A scent for any time of the day and in any weather or season. I hope more men can wear this. Know that there are young girls that really like you to smell like a real man and that there is no real attraction for me unless the man's cologne exudes this old fashioned and conservative no nonsense very powerful fragrance of a man that works hard and gets what he wants. No vanilla on here and no other notes that make up today's men's colognes so blah. Love it love it love it.

wearing today.

a classic for the ages.

a 1000 years from now this will still be one of the greatest scents ever made.

they will never do a classic like this again.

gelo999
gelo999

Aramis is a classic chypre leathery with retro dyes within the male perfumery.
His character and personality will give this fragrance a classic masculinity that never go out of style.

Aramis has an old evolution school, opening feels citrus, aromatic and full of aldehydes that give a dry and waxy character Aramis, for my taste too strong and outdated for current trends, but when it starts to evolve into floral notes , woods and patchouli especially begin to make a creamy touch and everything starts to sit, it becomes more complex and the mixture makes sense and harmony.

The drydown, for my taste, is best with mixture: moss, musk, myrrh, amber and most striking is when the elegant and persistent leather cobra power the entire mixture becomes an exquisite and fantastic work, making Aramis a timeless and very manly fragrance in perfect balance.

Rating: 7.5

Carvedbyangels
Carvedbyangels

This is interesting it smells like sprees on top like some kind f citrusy candy, with an enormous leather note and that is about all I smell. My gf hates it and I understand why. It is pure cowboy nothing else nothing pretty just pure strength.

TONYNYC
TONYNYC

This is a classic, MASCULINE fragrance that projects and lasts LONG! I personally find that men's fragrances have become more and more feminine over the years. I only like masculine fragrances. This will never go out of style. I wear everything from the John Varvatos line, Agua de Gio, a few Dior fragrances only when layered with a little Tabac as they are too feminine for me, Nautica Voyage in the summer and Green Irish Tweed. Aramis is one of the BEST MASULINE FRAGRANCES EVERY MADE. On top of that, it's INEXPENSIVE ! ! !
I've been using this since it's inception and I will always have it in my collection. 10 out of 10.

pronose

aramis is a real masterpiece and timeless! a lesson by bernard chant to all the new so called nose???? once you wear aramis you can't forget aramis! all is well balanced and perfect in aramis! although the new juice has been re formulated and is less lasting now! but still aramis is just magic and never been paired since !

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

Chivalry is a dying (if not lost) art form and classical male perfumery is going in the same direction. So much so that I think retro is now the true niche in perfumery and what we are told is niche is merely the next big commercial success story - every man and his dog is lining up tiny bottles of blended oils and because they are so expensive we feel that we are now members of an exclusive 'club', but in actual fact most of it is just the re-inventing of the wheel by very clever business people. We are all guilty of buying into it but for me and I suppose many other men who were brought up in the age of the "classics" I believe the journey always ends up back where it started...

ARAMIS is a true classical Masterpiece. You don't just wear it, you deliver it to your audience. It tells a history and makes a statement - here goes a man of the true niche (vintage) - one who upholds the true classical essence of masculine scent. Not unisex, but Masculine with a capital "M". Oakmoss, leather, florals... Charm, class, elegance... And oh yes, it is sexy to the core, if worn in moderation it can be an animalistic lust bomb - I can vouch for that.

Raw greatness in a bottle!

Sleepalm
Sleepalm

This is one of my guilty pleasures. It's too macho for me to pull off but I love it so I wear it around the house on my days off. One day years from now when I'm older and wiser I might be able to pull this off but for now wearing it feels like I stole someone else's scent. Someone who owns a leather jacket they wore to build a house while simultaneously planting a flower garden.

ohjac
ohjac

Somewhere I read that this was intensely leathery and an 'oakmoss bomb'. Well, that was enough for me! Aramis delivered on both counts. It's a lot like Cabochard and Bandit, but has it's own distinctive note. I want to say a drier dry down attributable to the adehydes cardamom and patchouli. There's a business-like air about this, all serious, all the time, and that appeals to me. The cologne has good sillage on my skin, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the edt will project and dry. If you think this fragrance is too old, you're too young.

jsb41
jsb41

This is a manly cologne. No mistaking that. Wonderfully woody with what seems to be a tiny note of bo but that's what makes it so sexy I think. I'm not real good at describing scents and in light of the new Star Wars movie coming out, I can honestly say this is a Han Solo kind of cologne. Very masculine, musky and a little on the edge. This is what I want to smell on your neck while we're all cozy on the couch in front of the fire. I'm a woman but I can honestly say I'm tired of almost gender neutral colognes. I can't speak for all of us but man, what a cologne!

rossarlen
rossarlen

My Father sometimes wore this or Aramis Tuscany per Uomo when he wasn't wearing Drakkar Noir. Since he used so sparingly, I would occasionally get to spray it on, so this was really the first fragrance I ever came across.
On my skin, and on my Dad's, actually, Aramis does not come across as manly. My father already smelled like our farm, and his woodshop, sweat, cow, sawdust, and Texas, so I guess he didn't need fragrances to smell more manly--it came off as delicate on him, leathery but not overpoweringly so, with a strong note of thyme, like my farmer Dad had given himself an herbal bath with clover and artemesia and patchouli as well. I oddly get a strong artemesia scent off my skin as well as a lot of patchouli, and TONS of jasmine. I don't get much musk, or leather, or the more "manly" smells. Which is fine by me. It dries down barbershop for me, Barbasol shaving cream, and musk.
The sheer variety of experiences recorded here is fantastic, and I think attests to this fragrance's staying power. I love this Eau, for the memories, but also for the rather complex scent that it gives me, a sense of cleanliness and comfort, a sense of masculinity but gentility; my father when he gets dressed up for Church or some high school function of his children. A old-school farmer and woodworker, gentle and clean.

K1
K1

Lucky me… born in era when such alpha male fragrance was among the smells I recognized by childhood.

Everyone of us approves that Aramis rings a bell in the very opening… our fathers. Weary hands, tired eyes, loosen necktie, walking heavily in and hug us. He smells tired but proudly tired. Those broad hand palm, that grown face skin, muscles… the man whom you always trust, who gives you the sense of trust… cheers to all manly daddies who bravely establish their families. Daddy, whose everything settled once and forever in his heart!

But what makes Aramis noted for such strong personality is its strong characteristics. Imagine, creating a perfume that opens with aldehyde and citrus and flowers, goes through leather and moss and submerges to woodsy vibes, wants two big balls, and Bernard Chant approved he has two bull's balls! Aramis is one of the most manly masculine perfumes ever faced, and every time I test, I kneel.
★★★★★

چه خوش شانسی هستیم ما که تو دورانی بدنیا اومدیم که آرامیس جزو اولین بوهایی بود که تو کودکی شناختیم

همۀ ما قبول داریم که آرامیس بویی آشناست که یادآور چیزی هست برای ما تو بدو شروعش... بوی پدر. دستای خسته، چشمای خسته، با قدمهای آهسته از کار برمیگشت و ما رو بغل میکرد انگار که هیچ خستگی تو دنیاش معنی نداره. گرچه بوی خستگی میداد، اما بوی غرور هم میداد. اون دستای پهن، اون صورت بالغ و بزرگ، اون بدن سفت عضلانی... مردی که همیشه میتونی بهش اعتماد کنی، کسی که به تو حس اعتماد رو هبه میکنه... به سلامتی همۀ پدرها که مسئولانه خانوادشون رو تشکیل دادن. پدرایی که "همه چیزشون" فقط یه بار تو قلبشون نشست

حالا میدونین چی شخصیت آرامیس رو اینطور قدرتمند و محکم میکنه؟ تصور کنین عطری رو که با آلدهید و مرکبات خشن و نت گُلی شروع میکنه، میره توی لایۀ وسطی که چرم و خزۀ بلوط تسخیرش کردن، و توی لایۀ چوبی نشست میکنه. و ساخت چنین عطری جسارت میخواد که برنارد شَنت نشون داد که جسارت ورزا رو داشته وقتی این رو میساخته. آرامیس یکی از مردونه ترین عطرایی هست که تاحالا دیدم. نه از اون عطرای مردونۀ سینه چاک سینه پشمالو، نه. مردونه به تمام معنی؛ و هر وقت دیدم حسی زانو زدن داشتم در مقابل این همه عظمت توی شیشه
★★★★★

lvxifer
lvxifer

Awesome aldehyde leather chypre.oldschool, but not outdated,full of grace.twin with cabochard,w/o smooth lipstick note.immortal fragrance.

dmd63

GENUINE CLASS IN A BOTTLE.

HAS EVERYTHING IN IT, MASCULINE SCENT, STRENGTH, PROJECTION, POWER AND A FULL THROTTLE STATEMENT OF ROUGHNESS.

LIKE THAT MOVIE "A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS" THIS IS A PERFUME FOR ALL SEASONS AND AGES.

LET´S HOPE THAT ESTEE LAUDER NEVER COCKS THIS ONE UP!!

Tall Dark and Handsome
Tall Dark and Handsome

This is one of the first of the 'quality' fragrances that I was ever introduced to. It is best suited to autumn or winter wear. It has a warmth to it like few other fragrances. This is best suited to an older, more middle aged wearer. It is easily recognised by those who know it. Leather and tree moss can be readily picked out among the patchouli and woods. Don't over spray it as it's very potent. It has been around since the swinging sixties and is still swinging with the best of them. I for one am pleased it is still here.

Juiceman818
Juiceman818

My grandfather's cologne...memories.

lovetribe
lovetribe

only for men with chest hair !!!!!! great perfume. but not for me. high quality.
super performance.

alexiou
alexiou

No one of the reviewers has written yet negative
comments!Besides Aramis is considered as a perfume for grown up men ,the majority seems that appreciate it.

I also find Aramis a little bit conservative for the younger crowd but this one could be also used from someone younger -yet mature-who feels comfortable to wear a classy scent.I'm not sure if women could also wear this cause many of the reviewers have compared it with Gres Gabochard and Estee lauder's Azuree Pure, which also are basically leather-aldehydic scents.

Aramis is a perfume of huge contrasts.It is fresh ,floral,provocative and uplifting but on the other side is dark and deep due to the dominant animalic notes of leather and musk .Woody and earthy notes of vetiver and patchouli(typical for a Chypre scent)take place while the composition dries down.

Almost 50 years after the first arrival of original Aramis in the market ,still holds and destined to stay forever cause Aramis is destined to be a classic.

I don't usually give a rate but i think it's time to begin with a healthy 10!

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

Aramis. He's so aggressive. So strong. Almost too much .. almost. I find myself liking his strength. I also don't mind the memories of my grandfather and how it reminds me to keep it to a spray or two. I see Aramis at the drugstore and in his own display at Macy's. Wherever I see him, no matter what anyone says, there he stands, strong and confident. He's a real man and for real men. He isn't a bully. He has class. He may know hard work but he also knows how to wear a suit and tie. He's Aramis and you probably shouldn't underestimate him. He commands respect. When you don't respect him you are the one who seems weak.

VILFI
VILFI

Expected a true monster in this one and while it projects very loud and strong with alcoholic scent trail for the first 1-2 hours, it becomes pretty soft after a while. I was mostly interested in the coconut coming through but it took a great deal of time to sense it. This to me is very dated and I think I need to test it 2-3 times more to start to enjoy it, right now it is not something I would wear because it's too sharp in the beginning and too soft after it dries down. The scent is rich and nice though and smells pleasant and it has a personality that is strong and that I like. Something to try out if you like classics.

wisconsinboy
wisconsinboy

After the topnotes die down, this is perfection. Warm, leathery, manly.

Escoteric
Escoteric

This hold a special place in my heart, it reminds me of my father, he used to have only two bottles, one Old Spice for everyday where and Aramis for special occasions. I wore his 30 year old fragrance after shaving and whilst the smell was faint, this must have rosemary and menthol extracts, it just made me feel really fresh and zingy. No other fragrance has the ability to do this. It is my go to frag, for making me feel clean and just like I had stepped into a fine Savile Row bespoke suit, cufflinks and fine watch with a swagger in my stride and gone to a barber for a shave and walking down the street on the first spring day. I think few frags have the appeal of this and it must be regarded as an all time classic. The Silver Lady of all bonnet motifs and hardware. I don't think any perfumistas wardrobe would be complete without it; Spirit of Ecstasy it is!

Ourfrank
Ourfrank

Finally gave this one a proper testing today. I always just thought it smelled too old too heavy blah blah blah. But now that my nose have matured, I am really starting to come around on this one. I actually find the dry down to be a lot like Chanel Antaeus, with the leather and patchouli. It sits closer to the skin that Antaeus, as that stuff is just a beast! But I really like this one and think I'm gonna find me a cheap bottle. The lady at the counter was older, and even she was looking at me like I was crazy for even wanting it on my skin. She tried to offer me the new stuff, but it kept talking about the aramis.

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

I remember this the first time from about 1978, when I was 11. I went on a school trip to London and went into the perfumery in Harrods or possibly Selfridges. I remember thinking "pepper" (black pepper). To be honest I wouldn't have recognised it today without seeing the bottle.
It's soapy (I think I mean oakmoss when I say that), spicy, masculine, very dated. Reminds me oddly of Aramis 900 at the start in it's old fashioned soapiness. But also brings to mind Kouros or better Polo Green with fresh tobacco and it's unapologetic strength. It's like smelling an old-fashioned cologne off a leather jacket. It's powerful and lasts for hours.
I love this. I love it because it takes me back in time to a decade (1970s) that I experienced first hand as a child, and the fragrance now allows me to imagine it as an adult.
Oddly enough it reminded me too that in those days the smell of cigarette smoke was everywhere. Nowadays like most people I've learned to find the smell of cigarette smoke disgusting, but somehow I miss it when I wear this fragrance.
I see a man in his early 30s, in a smart leather jacket and open necked shirt, in a night club, handlebar moustache , sideburns, gold chain, hairy chest, a pack of Benson and Hedges. His Ford Capri is parked outside and he'll drive home later quite drunk, along with most of the other guys in the joint. It's 1975. He's still oozing confidence and chatting up the ladies. In a few years the music and fashions of the next decade will be weird and alien to him, as will the new materialism to come. He'll lose his hair and gain a belly. He won't get to buy a Golf Gti cabriolet because by then he needs a practical family car. But his children will remember "that aftershave" well into the next century.
A true classic. August 2015

malefiscent
malefiscent

I don't really know whether to say it, dated or ageless, or a timeless classic! The funny part is that I have bought Aramis from three continents, Middle East, Europe and the Americas and each time it smelt different! The elements of artificial leather added with copious amounts of spice sometimes make Aramis feel differently. The mix is heady, bergamot, patchouli, clove, camphor, cinnamon. All rushing through your senses. The sillage is strong and at arm's length people will smell you. It reminds of vintage leather bags. The inside part, chemically the leather curing process. The leather here is intense and not classy. It is cheap art leather types, those mimicking real leather. The longevity is not great. And when you sniff your skin at the end of a hard day's work, you may get a hint of clove. Due to its classy cigar smoking rodeo capped horse rider concept, Aramis may not go well with the younger gentry. Moreover the classical fragrance of the leather in modern aroma industry has been subtly taken over by Oudh components. These classical scent, the pungent strong leather smell are a thing of the past. Good for occasional wear, it can give a shock presence to your avant garde hosts when you land up in a Harris tweed coat; but beware of kissing the cheeks of your hostess as she might just come close and grab you for an intense moment!

Guinea54
Guinea54

I can't wear this and I probably won't because it has that dated feel to it. But I respect it. I put it on and it just is a masculine old time scent that got some balls and groins. Not this metrosexual sweet shit of today, this is the brass balls era.. This is like the dude who wears a vintage leather jacket and fought in vietnam and got a lot of asian girlfriends there. this is the scent when you have a small manhood in your pants and smelled your older uncle or dad and thought wow these guys got the balls.. All in all this is vintage balls.. I respect it, the spicy note, and something about it does smell appealing, but at the same time, Im too much of a wimp and it feels a little too dated. I don't know if they did or not, but a modern take on this would be great. The same power and everything but tone down some of the notes that give it that vintage, paul sebastian, polo green, english leather kind of feel. I am not sure what note those old powerhouses use.. maybe oakmoss or some kind of pine green smell.. Whatever it is, it just makes the fragrance smell too old. But props to a classic.

colhiggs
colhiggs

There's really no need to do a full fledged review of this. The only thing to be said is that Don Draper would wear this. That right there should tell you everything you need to know. Aramis smells like Don Draper.

Hari Damodaran
Hari Damodaran

Wear this fragrance if you are a 50 year old man who has built a legacy for the younger generation to follow where they look up to you and give you respect.

Well, I'm 29. I wear this fragrance and it inspires me to get there.

Classic it will always remain!!

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

Well, everything has been already told about this pillar of perfumery.

I would just add that i recently bought a bottle and it is still a nuclear bomb in terms of longevity and sillage.

That's a good thing because it seems many classical perfumes turn to be watered down nowadays...

Still a winner !

ali..khalili
ali..khalili

مردان دهه 60 و 70 میلادی با وجود این هیچ کمبودی نداشتند
عطر با معرف یه مرد جنتلمن کلاسیک و جذاب
با اولین بوییدن این عطر فورا یاد ادمسهایی افتادم که با صمغ درخت ساخته میشودند. بینهایت به بوی صمغ شبیه هست
برخلاف انچه در این سایت کاربرها نت های شاخص را معرفی و برجسته کرده اند با اولین استفاده این بوی بسیار قوی صمغ درخت ، چرم خاکی و ادویه ای همراه با بوی نسبتا برجسته یاس به مشامم رسید
که تاحدی بوی واضح و مشخصی هم داشتند
اغاز با بوی قوی صمغ و گل یاس ، صمغ فروکش میکند و یاس میماند و هر لحظه ضعیفتر مشود و عطر وارد مرحله ای میشود که کابران بویای ان را مشخص نموده اند : مشک برجسته میشود و درپی ان چرم نیز استشمام میشود به همراه حس قوی خاکی که احتمالا مال نعنای هندی هست و گرم ادویه
عطری بر قدرت صمغ و چرم و مشک که سایر روایح مثل قاب دور اینها چیده شده اند
اما نکته جالب رای بسیار کم کاربران به رایحه صمغی این عطر هست حال انکه بسیار برجسته و قوی هست ولی بعد مدتی فروش میکند و بوی چفت شده و درهم تنیده چرم و خاکی و مشک باقی میمانند
شاهکار کلاسیک و فراموش نشدنی برای تمامی فصول سال
رایحه : 5
بیداری رایحه : 4
ماندگاری : 4
پخش رایحه : 4
ارزش خرید : 5

happy father's day!!!!!!
aramis the best male perfume ever period and my father's fragrance of choice.
this is how a real winner smells like

Luna_J
Luna_J

I found a mostly full bottle (2006 batch code) of Aramis at a thrift store and was curious… My wife is somewhat in doubt so I suspect this is for educational purposes only, and soon to be passed on to my more adventurous son. It is habit-forming, and after a few wearings you'll begin imagining you're smelling it everywhere, especially outdoors, and, in a distinctly paternal way, it leaves a strong, low-key impression in your olfactory index. Upfront, the bottle neck smells a bit cognac-y and aldehyde-like with a bit of a urine-like smell (this can actually be nice if you acquire a positive connotation, like the Paris metro, waxy-warm, soapy-sweet and a little acidic together) under an impervious, synthetic smoothness typical of leather scents before they hit the skin. On skin, the opening is an aldehyde punch in the nose that fills the room with soft, hollow ghost-florals. These are a bit candle-y and not necessarily unpleasant, with an ashy texture around the edges (cumin – a bit dirty-, cardamom, savory sage, raw umber patchouli, a cigarette in an ashtray next to a vanquished plate of Eggs Benedict and herbed potatoes at Sunday brunch). These herbs and seasonings establish a traditional masculine granularity that quickly gives way to the suppleness of the leather. Now we are at the heart: the inside of a cheap cowhide work glove filled with the smells of yard work and sweat. It’s a sure-bet leather that feels indisputably authentic; rawness or sophistication are not really the issue. The leather is helped along by lingering, companionably bitter herbal accords from the opening (myrtle and sage especially, in a way that – with the waxy sweetness of the florals- may remind you of Antaeus.) The undertone of slightly sour flower water-plus-unguent castoreum really does recall cooled-off sweat on the back of the neck, or the smell of an old work shop or chest full of old mitts and balls, in which a hint of mould (something damply earthen, light and dark) lends an edge to the persistent richness of the leather. A great, subtle dry down, with vetiver lending a soft woodiness (peanut shells) to the long-lasting friendliness of the leather, which after the first hour or two is mostly projecting in a soft thick aura that lines the ends of the hairs on the back of your arm. At this point it seems like it's all you.

suzycurlyq
suzycurlyq

I still remember a time in high school where a guy was sitting in front of me and smelled of spicy oranges. I asked him what it was and he said Aramis and I have never ever forgotten that day or that wonderful smell! I think I will go buy some just for the memories. YUMMY!

deepakdubai1
deepakdubai1

like an old soldier, ARAMIS never lets me down. May not get a lot of compliments from the ladies, but it makes me feel confident !

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

This fragrance is very elegant. It has a nice strength and richness. This is a Gardenia bomb. If you smell gardenias at the garden center you will know - the wilting flowers though, since they smell less sweet and more sour.
Maybe it is alsoa bergamot bomb. It seems very bergamot/citrusy oily right off, then waxy, then a heady white floral, a spicyness cinnamon-like underneath and then there is some dry roughness in it too underneath.
Nice rich scent, almost orangy smelling like someone noted.
Heady, thick.

bizzybazza
bizzybazza

mucho masculino ....strong leather and musky amber notes.
i put this on my like shelf rather than love shelf.i dont get that mmmmmm moment ,however its so nice it is ideal for an everyday scent and just righr to reapply when necessary without choking passers by.

ecscentrix
ecscentrix

@ sam ldh

Nicely expressed! Good review.

Aramis is a Truly classic-perfume. Can't say about vintage but the EDT does last extremely longer. Mine is about eight years old and I'm totally satisfied with its performance.

Top reccommend!
9/10 Sillage
8.5/10 longevity
9/10 Projection

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I always felt Aramis was a stuffy old man's cologne and I never gave it a second thought. This weekend I was in the men's room at a club and the attendant had a poor selection of fragrances on display. Aramis was the only one with some integrity so I gave it a spray...and was impressed! How did I overlook this over the years? Its herbally, woody, clean and very very masculine. On my next visit to the men's room I double sprayed myself. I find it very complex with a lot going on...a very interesting well blended mix. Projection and longevity is off the charts too, it stayed with me all night. Next time I'm in the market for cologne, this will be on my list. Thumbs up!

pauroj

i love aramis to me aramis will always be my dad's cologne i used to buy the biggest bottle i could find of aramis on christmas and he would just stach away all the bottles he always had a back up , to me this is the smell of a breadwinner the one that opens car doors for you and pays for dinner without blinking, if i could find a gen xer that wears aramis you bet i would be all over that dude .......yes i mean it like that LOL aramis smell like a real dude not like those ozonic metrosexual guys

sam ldh
sam ldh

Straight up a Classy American Leather Chypre. Mr.Chant's masterpiece,as almost all Aramis flankers are, too. Upifting wakey wakey fresh opening with bitter citruses of bergamot, artemisia slightly sweetened by gardenia and slightest cinnamon. This scent is very special and unique because its not rushing but develops at an easy pace, like a symphony or a good story.You won't feel the separations of top/middle/base-dry down phases as with most colognes.You would have to work out, watchfully to even begin to segregate the various nuances,like a watchman!
Pelargonium, vetyver bring a little airy-ness while quality sandalwood provide grounded-ness. Oakmoss here is not a punch in your face/brash like Quorum(another personal gem!) or current grey flannel but bended so as to render less individuality as is the c with leather, castoreum(not listed) and very solid earthy patchouli.This cologne warms and reacts to movement,even heavy breathing! The animalic undertones are more pronounced in the Vintage aswellas the Concentree version which is the closest to the Vintage in sillage, longevity, animalic accords and solidarity..I do not own the current as I found it to lack Castoreum/animalic aspect which I love in the other two versions. Friends as per modern tastes animalic tones ar less liked and sought thus modern Aramis i aptly updated. No other compromise have been made in reformulating this gem.Hats off to E Lauder.
Just the thickness/oilyness, some preojection and longevity are removed from current Aramis.However, Aramis still remains a gem.

Vintage lasts 12-16 hours
Concentree 12-18 hours two days on my shirt .Really no kidding!
Current one 7-10 hours easily with moderate projection.

Gud luck,
Happy Sniffing!

Sam Singer

Gud luck rs

gedlive
gedlive

I bought this for my brother who misses his signiture classic, Chapps. Discontinued. So I think this may be a good sub.
This has a very enjoyable sweet resiny warm depth to it, which is the unique quality that has made it an all time classic. I think its heavy patchuli, fruity amber and the sweet cardomon.
It is very warmly aromatic in a masculine way, makes it comfortable to wear.

I think of the old Aramis classics, this new reformulation is close to the original. Its still a powerhouse oldschool frag, but still smooth and pleasant, the jasmine and warm herbs brighten things up. Only the opening blast is harsh, that only lasts ten minutes, with a strong tobacco note, setles very quickly, and just remains as a nuance together with the leather.

Recomend to buy for those who like the old classics, it is unique in a very good way.

Rating: 7.75/10

Wolfgang Mazrin
Wolfgang Mazrin

Smelled this on people as a child and I always wanted to wear it. To me, it smelled of Old leather and Tobacco on a warm Georgia day. When I tried this as an adult it smelled like stale urine on me. I guess that is proof that a lot of this depends on body chemistry.

cemil.yilmaz.77
cemil.yilmaz.77

Real men's .. Boys stay away..

Oudy
Oudy

The first perfume I can ever remember smelling. My grandfather wore it and I can remember him picking me up and heaving me into the air and the smell of Aramis. My love affair with perfume began here

I bought a bottle when I got older and wore it for awhile. It's a timeless fragrance. Bright and lively like a fan dancer, this perfume has really stood the test of time. I don't own it anymore, but from time to time I catch a whiff or I spray myself with it if I come across a tester. This is almost fifty years old. Not many mainstream frgrances can say that. This was old school before old school had a name.

Scent 9/10
Projection 7/10
Fortitude 9/10

Zerosliver
Zerosliver

A gentleman entered a local fragrance store while I was sampling some fragrances, he walked to the Aramis bottle, picked it up, and put a whopping 8 sprays of it all around his neck area. He then told a Moroccan boy to try it:(literally translated from his butchered Dutch): "Is very nice, try, is very good one". All I could read from the boy's face was that he was choking because of the smell of the man. Luckily for me the guy left in a hurry, typical man who goes in a store and sprays himself up.

Moral of the story: please don't overspray this! You'll kill someone!

loischanricky
loischanricky

I have the EDC version from the 80s, and it has the monster sillage and longevity.
I applied like 4 sprays on my bed and 2 sprays on my quilt, then the scent lasts a least 10 days...
(It's a very good perfume but I'd really like to apply some other fragrances I own on my bed)

BeeZo875
BeeZo875

My pop's used to wear this back in the 80's. I remember smelling his leather jacket and saying to myself "i'm gonna smell good like this all the time". Classy and masculine. Fast forward 20 + years and 107 bottles of cologne later I gotta say that this one smells HORRIBLE to me now. Not sure what note in there that turns my stomach, but it definitely smells crazy to me now.. To be nostalgic I bought my old man a bottle for christmas (along with Bleu De Chanel) And the first thing he said when he put it on was. "Damn this shit smells like an old man!! Listen I hope you got something else because this old guy doesn't wanna smell like.....Ya know.... The old guy." Best laugh ever! Gave him the Chanel (That he loves) and gave the Aramis to my uncle. I know some people that love this juice, but it's definitely not for me.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

I find it a little overpowering these days, I had a 12 year old decant, which is a smooth leather burst, very masculine. The recent version for me has a little too much in common with the latest version of Quorum, a little heavy on the chemical element. Superior to Quorum in terms of quality, longevity etc, but there is something in the heart of this fragrance that's dif, but there are similarities. I've read a lot of comments about fragrances being 'dated' and 'vintage' my question to that is 'Who says so?' the companies issuing cheaply manufactured but brilliantly marketed perfumes that don't last or have any story to them. Aramis is definitely a powerful, pushy fragrance designed for Men, not boys.

firoz kamarudin
firoz kamarudin

This is a note for those men who aspire to be understood as classy ,Masculine and spirited personalities who has sense of imagination in them and who expect this note to be a Nostalgia ....The essence of this aroma can remind your loved ones when you are here and in the heavens !
Testing : Never test this scent cause its what it is ....it is a journey of aroma and will find it pleasing not in the shop but while you reach home .........here is a tip .
For those who would like to have a good perfume try it on your skin and buy it the next day thats when you have understood your skins chemistry to the scent!!!!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Aramis Classic is a fantastic, solid, powerful and – as the name goes – more than classic leather chypre, so austere and straightforward it smells almost like a canon of prototypical masculinity in perfumery. Dark and bold, warm and with just a thin feel of “macho”, basically centered around leather, herbs, aldehydes, classic “manly” flowers (jasmine, lavender) and a base accord of oak moss and woods – all of this at least in the vintage EDC version I own, which is the only version I’ve worn so far of this fragrance. I got it for $12 and it has a fantastic depth rich in “aged” density (and a nuclear sillage). Great flowers, great leather, impressive oak moss. Everlasting drydown. A timeless, no-frills, dark masculine manifesto. The cheesy American cousin of Hermès Bel Ami. Conventional, but not outdated and not boring at all – simply a bold, comforting classic. As I said I do not know the actual version, I’m sure it’s great too, but personally, generally if a vintage version of a scent exists, then I’d go for that “a priori”. Anyway, beautiful!

Fizzy
Fizzy

A bold old-fashioned leather-chypre scent for old men. The dry down is almost identical with azure from Estee Lauder.

t4x3
t4x3

I was at a party last night and this man next to me at the bar, a finely dressed gentleman of about 65, was wearing Aramis. I recognized the smell right away. I think any woman my age or older, mid-40s, would recognize that smell. This man looked good, he smelled good. It was thrilling in a way. I think I'm going to give my dad a bottle of this for Christmas even though the present will really be for my mom.

greggb
greggb

Aramis is a bold cologne. It makes a statement:

"Like me or don't--it's all the same to me."

It doesn't set out to please everyone.

This is where you have to look at psychology, especially in relation to females.

I suspect most Aramis wearers are married, and have wives who like the fragrance (some women really do), or put up with it for the fact that their husbands are good providers. Which leads me to my next point...

Aramis is the fragrance of a man who takes care of business. It wreaks of maturity, often closely associated with manliness.

You don't need to have broad shoulders or a thick beard. You don't necessarily have to be a certain age. But you need to be a grown up man to properly wear Aramis.

For you single guys...if your general demeanor is that of an alpha male, I think you could pull chicks wearing this cologne, whether they necessarily liked it or not. But you'd really have to walk the walk to overcome someone's instinctual aversion to this, which I guarantee you some women will have.

I personally love the scent, though I'm not the kind of mature male I described above. I kind of feel like a fake when I wear Aramis in public. I still do, and when I do I attempt to act more mature than I might otherwise.

I'm more of the artistic type, which leads me to my next point. I find Aramis to be highly inspirational. Before I put the final touches on my particular form of art, I apply a couple squirts of Aramis. It makes the victory I'll soon be experiencing feel that much more victorious, at the risk of sounding redundant.

So purchase Aramis if you're a grown up male who wants to italicize that fact, or an artist looking for inspiration you don't have to drink, smoke, or inject.

gmmcnair
gmmcnair

2014 version is definitely lighter than the older bottles. Gone is the stinging clove note and (very sadly) the mossiness.

On the other hand, I find the current version to be polite enough for daytime and office wear. The drydown is still quite lovely, and longevity on my skin is still quite good. It is still strong, but it is more like a firm, decisive gentleman, vs. a macho man ready to sling you over his shoulder and carry you off to who knows where.

I think Lauder did a fantastic job reformulating this fragrance, especially consider how restrictive IFRA guidelines have become. I wear it much more now than I did in the old days.

magimagi999
magimagi999

The sillage and longevity are awesome. The scent - I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not for me. At least not today. The comment I got about it was "what died in here", so on me it apparently smells like a dead animal. (that animal was a very strong scent of a coconut - not the artificial nice coconut scent, the scent of a real coconut I can't stand - mixed with jasmine). The oakmoss was the most pleasant of them I whiffed.

For me:
Smell 3/10
Sillage 9/10
Longevity 11/10

Iulix_73
Iulix_73

Paris , 70s , accordion music in the background ... about that "see" when I close my eyes and Aramis are given. Try and you?!

marioslg3

Always classic, always...my beloved old perfume together with Kouros, Eau Savauge, Jicky and old Spice....I never get bored of it...the pure expression of masculinity, class and maturity...

richtea
richtea

Aramis is certainly initially brash and bold
Very strong , dry and appears quite linear
But over time it does mellow and achieve a little warmth and more refinement
Notes in Aramis are hard to actually define
There is Sage, Patchouli, Vetiver, Leather , Aldehyde Oakmoss etc etc the list goes on and on like a who's who of male fragrance ingredients
Rather a shame to see this sometimes maligned by people who enjoy more "modern" style fragrances
In its time this was a real mans fragrance and is quite complex
It takes time for some of the notes to show but i think this is a classic nonetheless
Ultimately not as complex as say Azzaro but a long standing gentleman's survivor
Lasts well and projects but is overly strong and bitter for some

mamali1976
mamali1976

Great scent and very manly ....just for real man...rich and sharp & chic...
يك كار خوب با اينكه قديمه اما كلى حرف واسه گفتن داره يه كار حرفه اى نداشتمش تازگيها خريدم حدود ٢ هفته اما تو كلكسيون ادكلنهام يه جورايى واسم خاصه و شيك پيشنهاد ميكنم به حرفه اى بازا....
All: 10/10

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

If you google macho, a picture of Aramis will pop up. I can't pick out any of the notes... All I know that it smells terrific and I wear it with pride. A must have for all gentlemen.

brucifer
brucifer

This has been going strong since 1966 for a reason. Its a classic.

Its nice and strong with a heavy leather note but it does sweeten up a lil as it develops.

I can see why some guys wouldn't like it as it does have an old school vibe to it.

Its for men with a mature personality regardless of their age.

5/5 for smell

4/5 for projection and longevity

khosro.zk
khosro.zk

I'm only 24 now. I never thought I can love a fragrance made in 1966. At first, it was very bitter in my noise. Reminded me old men (like many other reviewers ) and something special in my childhood .....
When I was a kid (4-8 years old) I used to go to the our small garden and take out the weeds from the soil. I used to smell them. I found the scent of root of some of the plants, same as opening of Aramis!!! The roots that I squeezed with my nail, forced the bitter and natural extract scent of ground to come out from that fragile roots...... YES!
Wow .....
When this harsh and natural smell fades, a milder and more floral smell comes up. Still bitter, but why I shouldn't love bitter smell?

This is a masculine and well crafted perfume. You cannot find this smell on young men.
You cannot find a person who loves 1 Million, like it. But if you like Fahrenheit, maybe you can also love Aramis.

I love it. After sniffing this juice, my standards for perfume get 10 times higher!

*caution: This scent has its haters/lovers. Do not buy it as a gift

namgyel.rangdol

I plan on buying a 110 ML bottle of Aramis by Aramis this month.

dr.hamada
dr.hamada

-Wonderful scent = 20/10.
-Horrible longevity = it lasts more than 24 hours on cloths.
-Projection = 8/10 but I fell that its projection in the recent bottles after 2005 is not like before?
-I'm using it since I was 17 years old and it's my signature scent although I have more than 80 other scents but for me aramis remains on top.

Glaggaglagga
Glaggaglagga

Brilliant fragrance. I am secretly hoping there will be a backlash against all the current fruity and floral mens stuff and if that ever does happen Aramis will still be popular as ever.

I've been wearing this for ten years, I never get bored with it and I always replace it when it runs out.

I have noticed that it doesn't last as long as it used to do, so don't pay too much money for a new bottle - get a cheapo!

luistdc
luistdc

A great classic that never goes out of style. Class, class and class... Creation of one of my favourite nouses in the business. A real must!

DSun
DSun

I'm running out of an old giant bottle that I bought way back from 1989, so I bought another one online. And yes, as expected, this venerable classic has been reformulated just like everything else. (I'm really starting to hate IFRA's unfair guidelines. They really should exempt the old brands and just apply their guidelines to the newer products. They don't make classic cars emissions-compliant, do they? The Same Rule Should Apply!)

Aramis in 2014 is less musky, less leathery, less mossy--all in all, less powerhouse. However, the changes are not as drastic as, shall we say, Drakkar Noir or Cabochard. The drydown is still essentially the same but with the coconut gaining more prominence. Nope, no more oakmoss. However, I do miss the expression on my niece's face and her upturned nose whenever I spray this on.

Nice job on the reformulation, Lauder Inc.

tomerai
tomerai

One spray of this on me and I'm reminded of my uncles, in the 80's when I was a kid, sitting on the velvet sofa in the lounge room of their apartment with a glass of whiskey in their hand and a whiskey bar with mirrors along the wall and them being dressed in slacks, loafers, a tucked in short sleeved dress shirt with their hairy arms showing and who were also bald. Not that it's a bad thing. I loved my uncles who passed away 20 years ago (RIP) and I'm glad I found out about this fragrance so I can be reminded of them.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

I found it coincidently when looking for new perfumes, the shop mom (she’s a nice middle-age woman) really urged me to purchase this one, since she said “I don’t think our shop would restock for this anymore…”, so I bought it. At first, it reminds me a bit of Quorum but more refined, then it developed nicely on my skin. I got compliments when I wear, even my girl friends would like to buy for their men. I am glad that I bought it for it is a very good fragrance. I think it is at the same league with Hermes Bel Ami.

namgyel.rangdol

I would love to have this in my collection. My dad used to use this for a while.

foulandfragrant
foulandfragrant

Aramis is the antidote to all that is wrong with today's saccharine tastes. Not surprised that Chant created Clinique's Aromatics Elixer, another deliciously grown up fragrance.

dubairob
dubairob

For better or worse I choose to cross-compare this with my favourite leather scent (and woody chypre) Hermes' Bel Ami. And boy, what a difference.

Where Bel Ami comes across with an air of decadent Parisian charm, Aramis clearly has an unquestionably American vibe running through it, right from the outset. Much is made of the European roots of Aramis as an Estee Lauder fragrance, and it is clear that the heritage is there, but this really is a great American classic that can still stand proud. To me, Aramis signals an American business-setting, social event or even - lightly - a casual day-out with the family. It really evokes the best of American associations in the mind, and for non-Americans - like myself - that has a charm that should be reckoned.

Alongside this, however, you have to be aware of the drawbacks: most especially the projection and its 'over-performance' in variable heat conditions. Aramis is the only fragrance that I have ever really got wrong in my judgment of how to wear. If you live in conditions where you are depending on air conditioning even in Autumn or Spring, you may find that the few steps to and from the car to a building can give you some serious projection that you may not want. Aramis should always be worn lightly - one spray towards the top of the sternum but under the shirt is good enough for 2014, thank you. I don't ever wear it for work but enjoy it instead as a smart casual/weekender type of fragrance - with the aforementioned really light application.

Enjoy, but be careful....this bronco may buck you.

rum
rum

If I'm not mistaken, it's this fragrance that I was given in a small bottle (maybe 4ml?) in a splash. I used to take whiffs of it and kept it in a small children's bag. Nonetheless, I'm not quite sure what happened to that bag now, but during my teens I used the aftershave of this and it was way too strong. But I rediscovered the EdT in 2006 and have since started taking a liking to this old classic. There is a reason why this has remained on the perfume shelves ever since. It just smells so refined and classy, it's hard to resist the masculine aroma from it.
Yes, it's a heavy scent, but that just means you need to apply less and maybe go easy on it in the heat. It's an aromatic woody/spicy scent and has leather, patchouli and possibly a bit of amber in there. It's a lot sweeter than I remember but still quite divine nonetheless. It's up there with all the other classic - Tabac Original, Old Spice, Givenchy Gentleman and Puig's Quorum. No fragrance head should be without a bottle!

crunker
crunker

It takes a certain amount of masculinity and maturity to pull this one off, but on the right person, this fragrance is absolutely fantastic. I personally am a 30-yr-old man and a bodybuilder (5'10", 300lbs) and am known to be a macho type. Needless to say, this cologne fits me very well.

The opening is very intense, with a ton of musky spice and wood. The dry down gives rich notes of leather and musk, with a very strong sandalwood base. This is, in my opinion, a less-refined version of Polo Green. Given the amount of time this cologne has been around, it's without a doubt an "old-school" scent, but by no means an "old-man" scent. As stated previously, it takes the right person to pull this off.

If you're like me and wear your cologne on your shirt, be careful with Aramis. Chances are it'll still be lingering after 2 or 3 washes. It lasts all day and then some, and it has a very strong presence. Nevertheless, this fragrance is one of my every-day choices, simply because it's one of the manliest fragrances around. The price isn't bad either.

Eos
Eos

Sexy as heck on the right man with the right application. In my opinion, the only appropriate way to wear this is to spray in the air and walk underneath/through while unclothed. That's enough, trust me. Using this application method gives the wearer an aura of scent rather than nuclear blast zone sillage.

Many will say this is dated, but again with the right application I think this is a timeless scent. My husband (32 yo) wears this and gets lots of compliments including the astonished friend who said "That's Aramis?! But it's so nice on you! I thought I hated Aramis." Its a warm, dark, leathery patchouli that doesn't have to be overwhelming. It can be gorgeous.

Tycho
Tycho

It's a classic, something I remember my father wearing. My father, and I can't wear this due to my age, and it'll be very, very hard to pull it off. It hurts my nose too. Very strong stuff, be advised.

twlahue

My wife hates it. I am 42 and so is she, but she says it smells like an old man. I like it ok. It is very strong and lasts all day.

Pianopolice

The scent of all the good old men. The ones who had a tough life, and always looked cool and smiled in the middle of those hard days. The ones that you can tell how sexy they were when they were younger, sexy and at the same time gentleman. Love the scent.

Wiscan
Wiscan

Love this - wore it in the 1980s - my first real cologne. Bring back many memories. Lasts forever on your skin and so unmistakable. Spicy as hell.

dirtydunnz
dirtydunnz

Aramis is for masculine men. Little kids must fall back.

Director of SwagScent.com

Anubis-Black
Anubis-Black

ARAMİS still No1!! Next to Boss spirit which is not made any more.
YSL Rive Gauche orijinal comes a close second.
And then Oscar De la Renta pour lui.
Still looking to Better ARAMİS but it always holds it is own a real master juice.

aLmoravado
aLmoravado

I might have owned better fragrances, but Aramis remains my favorite! I am emotionally attached to it, so I guess my opinion is biased. I have recently purchased a 200ml splash bottle, and just can't have enough of it. I think Aramis is the intersection point between manliness and classy...

Mr.Bobby.N
Mr.Bobby.N

This is KOUROS in a suit.

The opening is a bit harsh, but the dry-down is nice.

I don't wear powerhouse scents like ARAMIS or KOUOS out around women, becasue they generally don't like them... But I absolutely love them just for me. They fill me with confidence and and make me feel alive every time I take the aldehydes in.

---------------------------------------------
SILLAGE: great
LONGEVITY: excellent
SCENT: nice
BOTTLE: minimal classic
VALUE FOR MONEY: average

OVERALL: 9/10
---------------------------------------------

Sirius86
Sirius86

A true classic, had this for quite some time now.

Redbeard
Redbeard

A big, bold classic which, oddly enough, doesn't smell very strong right out of my little $3 splash bottle. At first you'd think it was just another standard 70s Monsieur Musk / Coty Musk type, but it soon proves to be woodier and spicier, with leather. The later top notes hold an intriguing contradiction: the sharpness of one of the spices stands firmly over some surprisingly strong but gentle florals underneath. This use of significant "feminine" florals in a men's wood scent reminds me of Bois du Portugal, even though BdP uses a more jasminey mix. Ultimately, Aramis becomes what I'd call a soapy floral leather scent with a moderate amount of spiced wood, the musk having mostly dissipated.
I really like the scent, and I like the firm and professional, yet honest and human, way that it comes across on the middle-aged businessmen who seem to be its most frequent users. Because my little bottle has a fairly wide mouth, however, I can't control the application with the kind of precision I'd like for such a concentrated formula. Because of this, I'm hesitant to put any on for days at the office, even with the lightest dose I can manage. I suspect I'll be giving my little bottle away soon, but some day I'll get a bottle of the aftershave to see how it stacks up strength-wise. Still, it's absolutely a must-try for anyone interested in soapy leather; the smoothness of the blending is excellent.

Mathew Jacob
Mathew Jacob

Does anyone have any experience with the concentree, and if so, how does it differ from the regular Aramis?

Demetrius
Demetrius

A true masterpiece if applied right. You cannot experience this classic from just smelling it from the bottle... To get the true magic of Aramis, you have to apply it lightly on your chest and neck and let you body temperture heat up this amazing fragrance. Yes the first few whiffs are strong and somewhat unpleasant, but if you can be a little patient and give it about 10 minutes or so to warm up... Aramis will reward you for it... And it only gets better and better from there... All of you guys who don't understand Aramis and think that it is an old/dated fragrance keep thinking so and I will continue to laugh and win while wearing Aramis...

ensoleille
ensoleille

Aramis is my favorite men's fragrance. The old ads said "Peppery... potent..." and it is. My husband wears this when he wants to please me.
The scent makes me want to hold him close and tight; intoxicated by his masculinity, whilst fumbling for buttons and zippers...;)

Aramis has been a classic popular mens' cologne for many years. I think the formula has changed a little. I used to smell my Dad's bottle of Aramis and even sprayed it on myself,and before that time, I would sometimes spray it on while I'm at the mens fragrance counter at a dept. store. It's a strong woody,musk,and herbal cologne. I don't like it as much as I used to. Aramis was given to me as a Christmas gift about 2 yrs ago. The formula seems not as strong and the cologne color is paler. The bottom of the bottle says it's made in Switzerland. I thought it used to be made here in the USA. I'm thinking about selling my used bottle of Aramis,as I don't hardly use it. I also agree with some of the people's reviews from this site that Aramis seems more taylored to older men like say:50+ yrs.of age.

deppard
deppard

I bought this back in 2005. I generally prefer spicey, woody, leather, musky frags. Boss Spirts being my numero uno even to this day.

Aramis: A gangster type wearing a majenta red shirt with two of the top buttons open, Flair bottom trousers and a thick belt. A man who can be loud, vulger and extremely aggresive... Maybe lecherous too.. 1950s setup- That's what comes to mind when I smell this.

About Aramis, well in one word it is extremely strong to the point of being over powering & offensive. No, its not subtle or classy. But Loud and in your face. It has a strong similarities with Aramis DEVIN.

The opening notes are just the same as in the middle and end. A blast of greens. I failed to find anything else other than a potent combo of cumin and jasmine that kicks in with the green. Think these two and you know what Aramis smells like. If there is leather, it is subdued by jasmine and cumin. From the beginning to the end, it sort of remains the same.

Longevity is extremely strong. So you may wish to go easy while spraying. It probably would be a good idea to give 3-4 hrs for the explosion to calm down a bit. Else you will choke, and choke others too. There isn't anything classy about this one. Elegenance too doesn't find place in this Aramis. Cheaply loud, hollering, powerfully agrresive and hot. Sickley sweet too. I don't know these days who will actually dare to wear such an offensive bomb. I took 3 yrs to use up 50ml!!

jht4060
jht4060

Aramis is a classic aggressive leather and conifer scent and one every perfume aficionado should at least sample. It is one of very few perfumes that I have found mentioned by name in a novel ("Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore, page 109 in my edition), and as far as I can recall the only men's perfume so honored. The top notes are intensely herbal and waxy aldehydic, and as those notes slowly fade it turns into a lovely off-dry wood earth musk leather. After the top, it reminds me of a new leather jacket tangled in juniper boughs. A little more refined than the over-the-top skanky animalic leather of Piguet Bandit.

Go easy with the spraying or you will drive sensitive noses into the far corner of the elevator. Use it lightly and women will swarm all over you. Or at least they will if you are also handsome, kind, and well spoken.

PS I notice in a review below that this is also mentioned in "The Happy Hooker". I'm not sure that is much of a recommendation, but hey how many men's colognes make it into two books!

ReHan
ReHan

sorry not my type,
the disappointment of decades for my nose,
although once or twice when i had used it ppl gave positive comments about it,i don't know whats in there that i couldn't bear,
its such a daddy scent,
i confess its the fragrance of a real strong man who has won the race.
silage and longevity bomb.
juice is just so strong so try not to over spray.

IsabelAlice
IsabelAlice

THIS IS NOT A REVIEW.

Best men's perfume ever!

As a funny fact, I'd like to share with you, Fragranticans, Aramis is the scent The Happy Hooker Xaviera Hollander likes best to smell on her partners's skin. That was the main reason I reached for Aramis after reading her book, and I must admit: Mrs. Hollander knows best!

jacobbonilla
jacobbonilla

This scent smells more natural than half the niche scents out today! As if there are real essential oils in there. Imo this is what Terre d'Herrmes was trying to copy.

veda
veda

I have a huge bottle of this in Eau De Cologne!
I love it!!!

DivineDiva
DivineDiva

I remember the first time I smelled Aramis. I was walking back to my office and I passed this guy in the hall and I did something I never do, I turned back and walked up to him and asked him what scent that was he was wearing....and he answered ARAMIS.. I could have taken him right then and there, but I walked back to my office making a mental note to buy this cologne for my boyfriend so that I could make love to him and have it all over me afterwards....

Such a manly scent with overt sex appeal....

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

Cabochard's twin brother! She is the bossier of the two, stronger for sure! This settles down to a softer leather quicker than Cabochard, and has a little more softness coming through in the musk and florals. This of course is on me, on my husband the leather is sharper (along with some herbal notes), as it is with all the leather scents we have been trying together (Cuir De Russie, Cabochard, Bandit) It is so much, that it gave him a headache and he had to scrub it off! All the more lovely leather for me! I think it is a good unisex leather. I've had it on an hour now and I have to hold my wrist to my nose to smell it, but I catch hints of it when walking, which is perfect.

cwolf
cwolf

I love how this smells so sweaty and human. Very rare in a modern mainstream fragrance! It is a whole man, and it is SEXY.

browne54
browne54

Just purchased a 3.7oz directly from Macy's for fear of getting old stock. Okay, this has certainly been reformulated. I have always had a bottle of this cologne around. The leather is no longer as rich and crisp as the previous formulation. Instead, to my nose, however they chose to reformulate or dilute the leather, has produced an animalic quality to the fragrance. It almost smells like leather with a touch of civet, almost producing more of a musty, sweaty vibe, yet the wood and patchouli still make it strong and classy. This caught me off guard but I must say now it is like falling in love with something all over again. The DNA is still there but now there is a new quality to appreciate and explore. I love Aramis. It is a very masculine and classy scent. I dont believe this smells dated. It is still a top seller. People who say it smells dated are just too young and confused. They are confused because the neurons in their olfactory bulbs have been wired to associate man with modern "masculine" perfumery (pathetic) and they have no clue as to how a man is suppose to smell; earthy, mossy, classy yet musky. Its not their fault. Blame the capitalist powers that be. But bottom line, Aramis still stands over 50 years later. Masterpiece, a word thrown around on this site too often, but truly, masterpiece.

Edit 6/16: I have been wearing Aramis the last few days and I figured out the perfect analogy if you will to describe the leather/animalic in the new reformulation. To my nose it smells EXACTLY like the inside of a leather glove after you have worn them. A leather winter glove or even a weight lifting glove. Again, it is by no means repulsive.

grdowntown2020
grdowntown2020

What makes a classic? A classic is an instantly recognizable scent that makes an impression. Aramis is a classic with class and it is a truly American scent. It will always be in fashion because it never has gone out of fashion. Unlike, for example Ralph Lauren Polo, it can be worn without being seeming dated. I did not wear this cologne as a teen, but I remember the smell from the hair gel I used. When I smelled it in the store the other day it brought back so many memories of when I actually had hair on my head.

I wear this cologne in the evening when I am alone and can just bask in how good I smell. At full strength, it's too overpowering for the office. Perhaps a body wash would work. I am going to try to dilute the scent and use it as a body spray.

Interesting that this was originally going to be a woman's cologne. To me it screams MAN all the way. A hot and virile man, who is strong and a great lover.

hornetz
hornetz

Named after the fictional character of "The Three Musketeers" this Machiavellian cologne has a simple bottle with Aramis stamped on it; literally saying " Like it or not, this is who I am". It's been around since '66, so the presentation is simple and I like how they have kept true to it.

This is perhaps the ultimate manly and provocative scent with a "I don't care" attitude. This starts out strong herbal and bitter. I detect cloves and is reminiscent of a strong Bay Rum. Somewhere in the notes there is Cumin which heightens it's raw dirty side.The dry down is strong leathery with a creaminess to it, perhaps due to the sandalwood, musk and coconut combination. Aramis flirts with the threshold of elegance and raw animalistic nature like a beast in a tuxedo.

This is a scent for the serious no-nonsense mature man, who knows what he wants and is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it. A 30+ scent which is very wearable in any season, but need to have the right personality to pull it off. The big question is will women like it. Yes, they will if you apply one or two sprays as it provides a comforting safe secure feeling; saying that everything is ok. Relax baby!

A try before you buy love/hate scent for the extremely manly and confident person.

Puddy Cat
Puddy Cat

my Grandfather's scent <3 I actually really love this fragrance

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

This is definitely an older man's scent. My Dad wears this regularly and while the smell is pleasant on him...I don't think the same could be said about a younger man wearing it. It's intense at first but seems to become less "in your face" when it starts to dry down. I'd probably guess that this is one of the more "classic" cologne's for men and like I said, suited to older men (I'd say 50+ to be honest).

Jomoves
Jomoves

I’ve always imagined that this is what Medusa’s lair would have smelled like.

LoveForYMCMB
LoveForYMCMB

Thhe scent of my father.... strong, classic, aromatic.Simply heavenly!

tinkmoi
tinkmoi

mature woman, wearing it now.. trusted my reading of the ingredients and how it might react on my skin.. I really like this, in a small dose.. opens with big floral,sweet and smooth gardenia/bergamot.. is settling to a warm and spicy patchouli balanced by vetiver... looking forward to the leather note.

BorisRubio
BorisRubio

El eterno perfume de mi papá... Su aroma solo a El me recuerda. Es super fuerte, hasta cierto punto ofensivo haha pero ese es el estilo de mi padre. Este es el típico perfume para el Dandy, el hombre mayor que se siente joven y busca seducir chicas aun!!
Recuerden, es fuerte, escandaloso, pero delicioso, aunque a mi gusto es demasiado escandaloso!!

sussex2
sussex2

I have finally tried this obscure and little known fragrance ;). What a great list of smelling notes.

My first impression: a sweet, loud and lumbering but exquisite, dusty leather. I find it very anamalic - possibly the musc and clove combination. I haven't tried Azuree or Cabochard (yet!) but it does remind me of a slightly dishevelled Bandit.

I can see how people would think this suited a "more mature" gentleman. To me this is a middle-aged gent who wears expensive suits but often with his shirt tails not properly tucked into his trousers. He is a little louder than he should be at times but with enough charm that he is quickly forgiven any minor indiscretions.

id
id

It reminds me of Cabochard by Gres (launched in 1959). I'd call it unisex without a little doubt. Those who love leather in perfumes should definitely try this. Superb sillage, long lasting, affordable, alas, underrated.

GMK
GMK

A legend does not require reviews ... Aramis is a legend , unfortunately an underrated fragrance.... miles ahead from its contemporary and today's classics.....

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

On me, it has a sweaty 1970's leather watch band note. Kind of skanky. I don't feel composed, elegant or dressy wearing this. I just feel dated - which, for me, is odd because I normally like retro things and am not ashamed to wear an old powerhouse fragrance.

Also, there's some greasy/foody note I don't like.

So, no, not for me.

vonMises
vonMises

A bit agressive, and a solid fragrance. A bit green, and a bit brown (woody). It also reminds me of a leather glove with mink oil just applied to it. It can be intensive, but from a short distance it is just classy.

Housebliss
Housebliss

I've always liked this, but I felt something was missing. I finally figured it out. I paired this with a citrus fragrance, including notes of vanilla and tonka bean.

One spritz of each fragrance on each wrist (or one on the neck, and the other one on the wrist) enveloped me in awesomeness. I was hit with wafts of each fragrance, and the notes complemented each other so nicely.

I usually don't layer fragrances, or use more than one at a time, but I noticed how good it smelled because the t-shirt I was wearing was infused with my signature scent when I sprayed on Aramis.

I'll be experimenting more with this one.

Versace L'Homme + Aramis = A remarkable and mysterious combination.

pipergirl
pipergirl

Incredible evening scent on a confident, sexy man.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

A nostalgic time machine.

pronose

just awesome and so unique and timeless! aramis rocks and never been paired since! hard to find sometimes nowdays!!!!

Xanovia
Xanovia

Two Words: Sex Panther...

Scented
Scented

Aramis is for men, not boys.
Aramis is for men who love women who love men.
It's a fragrance for after dark, not for the office.
One spray is all that's necessary.

A fragrance of seduction.

I am a woman and this is the only fragrance that makes me weak in the knees.

Virgoan-hunk
Virgoan-hunk

Aramis, is a Gentleman.
He is well aged, still looking good, in an expensive suit and drives a Mercedes and goes home to his wife and kida and is a Superdad at Home.
For me Aramis is a gentleman... Yes
But the Animalistic Musk and heady spiced leather also oozes massive sex appeal.
The boys call it Old and musty.
The Ladies call It a Real Man.
I call it a Memory, a scent of time gone by, a smell of luxury, class and comfort.
I call it ARAMIS. The real Fragrance for a Suave man.

dark fragrance
dark fragrance

way too different than any other regular smells...though animalic notes r in base but i experienced it as a top note n it takes time to leave an impression on u .. over all a good add to a wardrobe.

ranchorita
ranchorita

I'm female, but tried a friend's Aramis during a visit, and I really like the way it smells on me. Maybe it's time I try it again and see if I should add this to my fragrance wardrobe. I hope I am not too outrageous, but the nose wants what it wants. Yum.

fuggerone
fuggerone

love/hate scent...I love it, the smell of a confident sexy man!

pdschrader
pdschrader

Among the scents I wear, this is the only one where I actually prefer the after shave to the cologne. It is a marvelous and sexy scent, but can be overpowering. The after shave is perfect, the cologne needs to be lightly sprayed.

trickykid300

I loving this scent more and more. But how come when there is a manly woody scent it has to have super potent knockout sillage. Are there manly scents like this that arent so powerful?

I can see how people would get addicted to this stuff. it is soooo different from any other fragrance in my collection. I just sprayed some on now so i can smell it as I go to sleep. Its has almost a deep Olive layer that reminds of Gladiators in Ancient Greece.

Lisztener
Lisztener

Bought this back in the mid-nineties and didn't find it overpowering, then. Half the bottle has remained unused since finding others at the time that I liked better. Tried it on one day last week. Wow! It reeks! It's too strong for me now and smells like a rusty nail might taste. It's been said that this is an acquired taste. If so, I've grown beyond it because it now has a pungent, stifling odor for me.

hadrian
hadrian

Listen, guys, let's be honest: from time to time, it's good to find that kind of olfactory detail who will indeniably separate the men from the boys! Oh, yes, that's Aramis all about - for those 30+, their's will be the world!
Smells dated? Not at all - smells good, manly and vibrant, with a single and very important condition: two shots is all you need for a good half of a day. Be gentle on the trigger and Aramis CAN BE an everyday pleasure - not only for the wearer.
Gives you "assurance", as the French says, and lots of compliments - from men and ladies alike. Go for it, if you hadn't!
Overall, a deserved 9+/10

trickykid300

This stuff is STRONG!!! be warned this is not an everyday cologne. It is very different from most scents so its a welcom addition to any collection. Very interesting and lovely, but its an aquired taste. The first blast you probably wot like, it is in the middle notes that the scent really shines.

Neshemah
Neshemah

Secret confessions of a woman.

Something about this scent drives me nuts and I truly understand what a cat experiences when it falls under the spell of catnip. On those rare occasions when I get a whiff of ARAMIS, I stop dead in my tracks frantically figuring out who is wearing it. Sadly, I have been known to get seriously jarred when discovering the wearer was anything but a sexy hunk.

However, nothing tops that balmy summer evening back in the 90's when I was bicycling through Copenhagen and my nose zeroed in on ARAMIS. It was the guy on the bike a mile in front of me and I peddled like crazy to catch up with him, tailing him and breathing in his scent in delirious gulps until I mustered up the courage to bike up alongside him and just uttered: "You smell really great" and then breezed ahead into the night leaving him gape-mouthed.

joehanisha
joehanisha

i just bought this scent I love it..im 32 but it gives me more confidence and feel like a true man..my collegue dislike it as they feel annoyed by the scent, however i truely love it..

samsondelila15
samsondelila15

A true all time classic extravagantly male fragrance !

'Aramis' is without any doubt an all time classic creation . This is only for matured heavy personality males . When you wear it, it difinitely announes your class, it's very different from the others. Longivity is superb, siliage is also superb & the price is moderate. Again, another fragrance from this house - 'Tuscany Per Uomo' is one step ahead. I thik both of these great fragrances are best when worn in cold / winter season. My signature fragrance in winter & I am proud to wear .

juancar_66

I use this one but in the Eau de Toilette Concéentre, because it´s best in longevity and proyection, it smell best in this version to me, very good parfum really in the leather note, spices and some flower, good too in woody notes, one of the best parfums for a MAN.

jozemo
jozemo

Aramis, the gladiator of elegant classic colognes, a champion that is still around and some it's variations are pretty good scents as well.

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

A bomb. A blast.
As for today when fragrances for men are light and aquatic this is the opposite. The golden era för this scent should have been the 70s and the first half of the 80s, but exclusively for mature men.
I have never had it. It is to heavy for me. I don´t have that self-confidence although I am rather bold in life. But I like it. No doubt. It is the epitome of masculine fragrances. Modest chemical contents as well.

100mlEDT
100mlEDT

Aramis by Aramis
Bernard  Chant
1966
(current formulation)

In this day and age where fragrances are sold through the art of embellished story telling, celebrity endorsement and multi million dollar advertising campaigns, you only have to look to the past to see how much times have changed! In an era where themes were simpler, all you had to work with was the truth, even if it was of the plain variety. We were not be seduced by faux inspirations, someone else's ideal of femininity and masculinity or that sudden moment you fall in love. There was a different notion of what smelt clean and fresh. Fragrances were made with a vast variety of non synthetic accords,  giving perfume outstanding character and brilliance. Although many fragrance category's were still to be discovered it seems to me perfume had more to offer its wearer, a list of notes as long as your arm for example,  and the simple promise of what fragrance was designed to do, to make u smell good.

Advertising quote-
"Aramis was created to be the most elegant mens cologne in the world.
Somewhere along the way it became the most provocative.
Aramis, the impact never fades"

There u have it. Plain as day and the absolute truth, especially the last part. Aramis was created to be the most elegant men cologne in the world but weather it achieved that status  it doesn't even matter. If you troll the usual places I visit to research fragrance you will see the opinions read black and white! It's an obvious case dislike or true love , the men who can take it and commonly, the women who can't . What could be more provocative than this, and I'm sure u already know its the fragrances that polarise opinions that are usually the best, the most interesting and the bottles you want in your collection.

1966, Estée Lauder and her cosmetic chemist uncle Joseph Lauder formed brother company 'Aramis'. Named after the fictional character in Alexandre Dumas  vintage classic novel 'The Three Musketeers' they  presented the world with the first line of prestige mens grooming products. This included the company's debut namesake Aramis by Aramis , a leather chypre created by long time collaborator Bernard Chant (Estee,  Azuree, Cinnabar) Aramis raised the bar higher and went on to become an instant best seller for the brand, and continues to be over 56 years later.

Perfume shrine lists notes -
TOP          Artemisia,  Alderhydes, Bergamot, Gardenia, Green notes and cumin
MIDDLE  Jasmine, Patchouli, Orris, Vetiver and Sandalwood
BASE       Leather, Oakmoss, Castoreum, Amber and Musk

Aramis has the reputation of a real bad boy, this juice is hairy chest in a bottle . The Alpha male of all men's fragrances! The opening is as discreet as a king hit in a bar room brawl. Do you know that moment when a tradie sparks a blow torch and it ignites into a searing flame, well such is the first hit of Aramis.  It's challenging to describe perfectly the initial rush as it presents multi- dimensional and busy. My nose reads Body odour over antiseptic pine and parched grass enhanced by  recognisable Lauder style Alderhydes. Any florals have been dialled down to give full impact to the spicy cumin kick start that aims to crash tackle you in the opening. At first it's rank, dirty and unclean but before u have time to pinpoint what exactly your smelling it blends into one of the most overtly masculine openings of any fragrance I have. The  Artemisia adds bite and bitterness which is wisely balanced out by the Alderhydes.  This creates a manly playoff between unwashed arm pits with subtle hints of soap. It's anamalic  and shockingly beautiful.

You better be in it for the long hall as Aramis has stamina and longevity. The middle reads like a anthology dedicated to my most favourite category.... leather!  Chapter one through ten, the heart notes come together to deliver . But here its dominated. The credit belongs to the leather, castoreum and musk which seem to meld early on to deliver a ballsy leather accord. Cumin lingers to give it undeniable carnal funk, stomping all over barely there orris and jasmine.  A earthy patchouli manages to pull the bergamot a little further as I can detect citrus well into the first 2 hours wearing.  Still spicy and ripe well into half a  days wear Aramis is a obvious and unapologetic. I can only imagine the damage caused  if allowed to fall in the wrong hands. Proceed with caution reader, it has offended in the past and is Likely to do it again.

If you have ever had a friend that goes out on Friday night and doesn't come home till Sunday then you will have some idea on how Aramis lasts! Although a little ruffed up it still manages to smell amazing. It's musky and slightly bitter,  green and dry. It seems to alternate between still clean and  natural body odour. I love it .This is a fragrance that was originally touted as elegant and refined, (ha!) prestige as they like to call it at Estée Lauder. All I can say is I wish I could have smelt it back in the day, This gear must have skunked the 70s and 80s and maybe half of the 90s well and truly, not forgetting its  whole ensemble of matching grooming products including  body wash, deodorant and  hair gel

le peeU
le peeU

After 23 years I finally found a tester and sprayed some on. What a punch in the nose it is. Bold and beautiful.

It makes me laugh when I was a teenager I would spray it six times, what was I thinking? Nonetheless it is a timeless fragrance that I highly respect. It is in the same league as Kouros. A definition of being truly “masculine”.

It is not soft and fluffy backed up with a little sugar like most fragrances that are being produced today.

bugmenot2
bugmenot2

smells like buble gum?

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

I can't believe none find the similarities with King KOUROS. It's completely evident to my nose...Am I crazy???? Anyway I find this scent excellent, and KK too, of course.

I've got some vintage regular and Fortified. The Fortified seems a bit sweeter and smoother. The regular has more of a "sparkling" quality in the opening, but this may be due to different aging for all I know. I think I prefer the regular, because the leather note is more obvious. There definitely seem to be aldehydes present, though not listed. I think of the regular as simple, leathery, "masculine" elegance, but it's clearly not for the sport, "fresh," or aquatic crowd. I wish I knew what the new version is like but there should be plenty of vintage on ebay at reasonable prices. If anyone wants the Fortified (which has a much darker color) I might be willing to swap (I've got about 80-82% of a 2 ounce bottle).

UPDATE: I acquired a spray bottle which is likely newer and the opening doesn't seem as special, though that doesn't bother me. Actually, it comes across as an "old school" scent marketed to women (I've been sampled quite a few of those lately). I guess I now agree with Luca Turin, in that this is a simpler version of vintage Cabochard, or one like it. The floral elements in particular are obvious. Eventually, there is a nice drydown with powdery leather with just a hint of sweetness.

word-doctor
word-doctor

First thoughts. What a bomb! This was kind of what I'd expected from Dirty English (and didn't get). On me, Aramis is overpowering for about 45 minutes, then dries down to normal for a couple of hours. Upon first wearing I thought it was gone in 3 hours, but upon further review it hangs around very close to the skin for... a day? Through a shower?

The issue is that once it gets down close to my skin it remains pretty skanky. I get a little floral on top of a lot of animalic. Even though it's faint (say, after 6 hours), I don't know that this is how I want to smell. I mean, I like it and it's ballsy, but no way could I wear it to work. While this bears further investigation, I may have stumbled across the aggression barrier.

Edit--When used with caution this is a good one. I'm still hesitant to wear it to work except maybe on Fridays.

Sillage: 8/10

jaxxsun
jaxxsun

I liked it when I wore it. I only used one bottle up. Only because I was disapointed, just a bit.

I had a couple of hot dates and neither one really was all that crazed about what I was wearing (scent wise).

One of dates lasted three years :)

sherryxfilesfan
sherryxfilesfan

I want to like this one so Much
..but unfortunately this turns into B.O....its the patchouli... it doesn't like me.

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

I just bought the stronger "concentree" version - what a masterpiece, the scent is now a little bit balmy and friendly with the addition of balsam and juniper, will always have a bottle of this as a "battle scent"!

Julio Azul
Julio Azul

A FRAGRANCE FOR AN A MALE.VERY GOOD COMPOSITION,VERY LONG LASTING AND GREAT SILAGE.A LEATHERY CHYPRE FRAGRANCE THAT WOMEN LOVE TO SMELL ON A MAN.

nicholas_tan
nicholas_tan

I have, and love, the original, non reformulated version. It's a man's man sort of scent. It is intense, unapologetic, in your face.
I was running low and decided to pick up a new bottle to continue using it. Alas, it was disappointing. It smelt horrid, like rancid cat piss. I was too embarrassed to use it. Now, I am down to the last bit of my original bottle... Savouring the last dregs of this amazing potion. :(

sniffmaster
sniffmaster

I'M an ADDICT.... what a fantastic freschi smell..very original and nothing fake about it. Can be used for all occasions and all weather types. Lasts long on my skin..Brings back great times and memories for me. Women love that stuff. 10/10

James Lewis
James Lewis

POWERFULL COLOGNE!I can see where this fragrance may offend some people,especially if one were to be to liberal with it but this is definately a masculine scent and I feel that it is a perfect fragrance for middle aged men who are well established,because that is what I think of when I smell it.

juancar_66

I have this one but in Eau de toilette Concentrée.
I prefer this version because has more longevity and proyection than the usual Eau de Toilette. It´s good parfum and i use the same with shirts or jeans, in evening or nights but not in summer.

Vielta
Vielta

I've got vintage EdT. It's certainly not for boys. Let them have their Lacoste, Adidas or what not. This one works with a man's chemistry. I love this soft embracing perfume of sage and leather on my husband and I'm really, really happy that I've got no chance of catching it on any other man in our provincial Russian town. As I would end up either in police for sexual attack or in this man's bed.

radhakrishna
radhakrishna

it is good, but for only 1 hr, after that it fades and foresees extinction! cannot blame it, it is cheap! get something strong and expensive like SAntal Noble. That stays strong and long!

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

Smells so good I bought myself a bottle. I used to spray it on my pillow. Now that I think about it , I am going to have to buy my husband a bottle. LOVE IT !!!!

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

I got this for my husband. I wanted a bernard chant fragrance for him and this does not appear to have been refomulated. If it has, its been done well. Initally I smelt a lot of rose, but realised that he had used too much. The second time he used it, I suggested just a slight spritz. The real depth was immediately notice. Sublime and sexy - just like my husband. Wish I could pinch this one from him!!!

Cookie2
Cookie2

Strong, leathery and very very masculine. Apply sparingly! In small doses and after a couple of hours if it works with your chemistry (which it does on my man) it is intoxicating, testosterone, sexy, classy, tobacco, sweat and freshly ironed shirt all rolled into one. Meant for a strong man who can wear this fragrance rather than the other way round. Yes, perhaps a little old fashioned but so what? It's a classic, superbly crafted masterpiece. The man that wears this isn't one to give a damn - he just knows it smells good. As does his lady ;-)

jgirgar
jgirgar

Uber masculine and confident. He who wears this is an elegant businessman and/or can build a fence and wire a house. I remember when I was young my uncle wore this fragrance and how it struck me at 8 years old how fantastic it was. He drove in on that Friday morning in the spring to work with my dad on the fence in our backyard. And I thought, wow, he's wearing cologne and working at the same time?? Very classy and timeless. I wouldn't mind if they changed the bottle to the others in their lineup though. JG 042212

mrcontinental
mrcontinental

The journey back to my roots continue. Aramis is the latest in a long line of new "vintage" purchases I've made of late. One smell transported me back in time to my younger days were I could only afford one fine cologne at a time and left Aramis behind with so many other great scents. In the past two weeks the line up has added such classics as Antaeus, Santos, Drakkar Noir, and Kouros. I think that I will stay stuck in this time warp for the foreseeable future as these have reminded of what a man's fragrance can really be. I think Egoiste and Opium will be next on the list.

waine
waine

Aramis is for me a timeless men’s only scent carrying a solid array of beautiful, superbly crafted accords. Perhaps I am assertively biased as it was created in the year of my birth, my most received gift and personally purchased cologne. This is a gentle tamed beast that oozes class and masculinity. It makes me almost dizzy with memories and feelings of well being when I smell it even to this day.

I am unable to describe the different notes, except for what starts off as a clean, warm masculine animal like musk smell. The middle notes quickly settle delightfully with my chemistry and takes my imagination to being seated on a warm leather chair basking in a sunny citrus field. It settles down to a perfect day or night, any season cologne. There is a smell that is akin to the smell of stepping into a 747 airplane, if that makes any sense?

A powerful scent that will take one back in time to memories of men you perhaps once aspired to be like or simply admired just because they smelled so damn good.

So far my "Island - one-can-only" favourite, but I am still hunting for my signature fragrance.

Overall vote:

4.3/5

iconoclast
iconoclast

Top drawer sillage and longevity. This vintage alpha-male scent kicks sand in the face of that brute Quorum, which in itself is no mean feat. I'll say no more....

ZELJO
ZELJO

Thats testosterone in a bottle...first, years ago, I didnt like it,to me it smelled like cats making poo, but a few months ago, gave it a new chance and loved it as much than I had to buy it again,the leather gives it a very special touch and its SO long lasting, I find that one as the right one to smart mature men who wants to smell like real men

Smellzgood
Smellzgood

Aramis is one of the most masculine scents available. There is nothing androgynous about it. When this fragrance receives negative reviews, it is probably due to the opening note. There is an atypical musky/civet-like scent which is slightly "unpleasant"? However this fades within moments and the aldehydes and green notes appear. They stay sharp and woodsy until the gardenia comes in followed by the citrus notes of bergamot. Clover is also present in the opening notes. The middle notes remain sharp and somewhat green with jasmine and cardamom over patchouli.The base notes have a sweet earthiness comprised of coconut and vetiver, followed by oakmoss, musk, and dry grass. Overall, a complex and expertly blended fragrance. It works perfectly on me and is an all-time favorite!

ALaM
ALaM

Isn't it funny how only the positive reviews have balloons of thumbs up next to them? Some people just can't handle opinions that differ from their own or challenge their perception of things. This is a review site. That goes for good and bad. As for this fragrance - one thing comes to mind when I smell it: BUG SPRAY. Oh and I guess a strange urine smell.

meshary007
meshary007

Aramis for men .. only for men

ok this one from 60's represent the real classic gentleman .

Starts strong ambery leathery dark woody dry down sweet amber leather with a hint of Cardamom and Myrrh .

And as said before Any fan of Aramis will love Antaeus ,thay just walk in the same street but not the same man ..!

scent 10/10

Aramis .. the real classic gentleman

Chanel Man
Chanel Man

Aramis is being a man. This is one of the very finest true masculine fragrances.

Bobster
Bobster

I really want to like this powerhouse but I just can't bring myself to like it. There is a sour urine note in this that I find sickening. It has a really dry feel when you wear it as well. I do give it props for longevity but thats it. I have to pass on this.

karthiktas
karthiktas

Its my Fathers perfume. Its for older men around 4o"s. Yes its too strong. Not long lasting on cloths. It stays for 3 hrs. People can smell u for an hour.

fragment
fragment

I was introduced to Aramis over 30 years ago by a Turkish friend of mine. At that time I really enjoyed the scent and it was my fragrance of choice until I switched to Azzaro several years later. My memory of this fragrance has faded somewhat over the years, but like the English Leather before it, I don't have any burning desire to return.

twlahue

no thanks. i can't do it. i try it and it is just not for me. i like the "old man" smells pretty well and grew up, was a teenager, in the '80s so i understand powerhouses, but, yikes,
this one simply will not work for me.
it does however smell much better after it has been on for about 3-4 hours than it does at the top.

N_STITCHES
N_STITCHES

I love Aramis on my husband in the fall and winter. I go for the boldness of aldehydes. That's why I love my Chanel No. 5. Back to Aramis, a little goes a long way. I find it best applied with two sprays to his chest under clothing. He just smells so good and sexy for hours.

instantjim
instantjim

Magnificent! Aramis is an amazing leathery chypre that pulls no punches. It is so warm and rich that only a few sprays are required to last all day. I particularly like this one under clothing as body heat makes it come alive. it might be a funny comparison, but in some ways it is like Coriolan by Guerlain: it has the same citussy, herbal aspect, but Coriolan is a Prius and Aramis a 1966 Mustang.

You know what?

If applied lightly, Aramis smells amazing. It really does. The opening is pretty shocking - Lauder-style aldehydes and a pine needle kind of smell. But once you let it dry down, Aramis is one of the smoothest chypres ever made. I'm 20 years old, and I'll happily wear Aramis... just two sprays is all I need :-)

Ad nauseam

In response to "evilspin's" review below, Aramis fragrance and grooming products are currently available in my area at Macy's, Dillard's, Nordstrom, and Neiman Marcus. I have also seen it in Target recently.

"Classic"... yes. Aramis has been around since 1965. "Forgotten"... definitely NOT!

marioslg3

One of the best truly male masculine perfumes of all time. This was launched mid 60's and is still widely used without being old fashion. The smell is so attractive, so masculine, so classy that you can't find easily another cologne of her age to be used since then and after all these thousands of new perfumes every year. Aramis is Aramis, this says it all! The smell of leather, flowers, wood and spices are so well blender that makes this perfume a true masterpiece. Aramis launched also full grooming products, they are pushing the perfume, new advertisements and these keep it on for decades...Well Done!!!

missan

I have a vintage AS of this besides an edt. I like the AS better, it´s wonderfully blended, a flowery woody chypre of real class, how cannot this be loved.

evilspin
evilspin

I always heard this as a classic American Man, Uncle, Grandfather scent. I know they dont sell it in grand department stores or high end. I only seen it in marshalls and Sears so that kind of told me that its one of those forgotten or ultimately classic colones people tend to pass on. So i never intrigued me. Until watching "the Nanny" lol and Mr. Shefield wears it on the show And Fran occasional has mentioned that it melts her. Soooo upon that and Mr. Shefield being a classic gentleman I was intrigued to smell it. I saw it at Sears and took a wiff. Yuuuuup I was right, NOT for me. It has that old school man scent. That may remind you of when Dad or Granddad would come visit or hug and kiss you and they would smell like this, with their cigar, tobacco pipe scent and beard pinching you. Maybe thats why woman love it so much cause it has that vintage Gentleman smell or psychologically turn them on cause it reminds them of vintage rugged man or the men they looked up to. But for me, I think people would tell me I stink or smell like old man. So thats not ultimately a compliment since Im young and tend to lean towards scents that are fresh, woodsy and hip and different that no one recognises.

johngreenink
johngreenink

I think like most American guys, we've (many of us) grew up with some Aramis in the house, and probably wore it once in a while. It is a classic scent, and I've not really smelled anything that comes close or duplicates it. I agree with many that it is very masculine, very leathery and mossy, and distinctly American. It's managed to stay current for numbers of generations, and for some of us, it was our first 'adult' cologne.

Aramis to young guys in the US is what Eau Sauvage is to young guys in France and Germany; a cologne that starts you off in the world of scent. Mothers love this smell on their boys... grown up, manly, but not pretentious or obnoxious. It states itself confidently and brings smiles to those around you.

I recall that the after-shave version of Aramis is really very refreshing and goes on quite cool, warming slightly afterward, but nicely neutral temperature-wise on the skin.

It's always a joy to smell Aramis on someone - it gives us a sense that some nice things do not change, nor do they need to.

jtd
jtd

Aramis by Aramis is one reason among many that I love Estée Lauder. This is the only men’s non-niche stark leather chypre perfume available. It’s been in production since the 1960s, so it must have some degree of a following. Why are there no imitators trying to cash in? Along with its twin, EL’s Azurée, it is the heir to the Cabochard fortune. Of course the estate is still in probate, as nobody can determine if Cabochard is alive or dead.

I’ve seen a number of lists of notes, but to my nose it’s a bergamot-heavy, herbal, patchouli and moss blast. I’ve seen it described as floral, and if it is, it’s of the searing dry variety. I go back and forth between this and Azurée. They are notably similar side by side, and the one could easily be taken for the other in isolation. Aramis is a bit sharper, has a cooler herbal tone (clove, bay, pepper) and more patchouli. The similarities, though, outweigh the differences.

The majority of the good leather chypres come from the niche world (Rien, Cuir Mauresque) or from smaller-release houses (Bandit, Knize Ten.) This EL cheapie, though, compares favorably with the best of them. Interesting to note, it’s also outlived (or resisted lethal reformulation) Madame Jolie, Cabochard and Tabac Blond. A survivor.

mystica
mystica

I am a woman and I find this scent very sexy.

williamvargas
williamvargas

it is a strong masculine fragrance..i think you would probably be of strong character to wear this fragrance..and my guess you wouldn't care what some other guy would think..what do women think? that is the question.i think it smells like confidence and security. i remember the paper ads in playboy..that always caught my attention, peppery , potent...yes..it is...

bloomia
bloomia

perfect. my father was the 1st to introduce me to this scent. very manly and elegant!

[email protected]
dmdipentino@verizon.net

Yuck!!
This is one of those 'overpowering' scents like Kours that you either love or you hate.
Classic, yeah, but, for me, not in a 'good'way.

Grottola

Love it or hate it, Aramis is a classic.

I've smelled it millions of times before on every dad and uncle, but Aramis is a classic for good reason. For one, it's a masculine chypre, and chypre is probably the best type of perfume out there. Another thing is that Estee Lauder has been good with quality control. There really aren't many Lauder fragrances I like (except for some of the Aramis fragrances), but I gotta hand it to Estee for not screwing up her fragrances with each reformulation. They stay true to character and don't eliminate raw materials. All things considered, I can't deny that Aramis is a classic fragrance, but it's not something I'd wear. It's loud, dated, and if I wanted a masculine chypre, I'd rather just wear Chanel Pour Monsieur or Bel Ami by Hermes. Still, you should at least give Aramis a try for the sole purpose of education.

khan
khan

its very long lasting, man perfume, make you more confident that usually noticed by any girl.

missan

To me this is a delightfully blended cologne. Destinctively masculine but with some very nice flowers that makes it less heavy.
This is for an ealier formulation, so the longevity and sillage is massive. Lasts a couple of days!
It´s wonderful.

greystone
greystone

This is a disgusting fragrance.It smells like a drunk took a piss on a pile of rotting leaves,then passed out on the pile,woke up and pissed on it again.The only good comment I have for this fragrance is that it is one of the longest lasting scents I have ever come across,but who would want to smell like urine soaked leaves all day?When I tried to wear this,I became so repulsed by its over whelming scent that I tried to wash it off with no luck,I had to bathe myself in musk and 4711 to mask this awful scent.Aramis is a vile and disgusting scent.

sham_1983
sham_1983

i don't care my friend say it stink . or people humiliate me im wearing.how can i resist this wonderful intense ,oh god how i wish someday my friend will fall love for it!i don't smell clasic or evergreen .. i feel so confident and very convincing in my lifestyle .

Mumbai_1982
Mumbai_1982

excellent fragrance....classical and long lasting

I've had many men approach me in the past asking for me to suggest a fragrance that is masculine and bold. Quite often I'd point them in the direction of niche lines, however now that I've found Aramis, I have no qualms directing them towards this classic gem.

Aramis has quite a punch to it. There's a fierceness to this composition that is quite attractive to a female nose. I get a lot of leather in Aramis, along with myrrh, patchouli, sage and cardamom. Although bold and a little dirty, this blend is juxtaposed with a clean soapiness, possibly brought about by the floral accords and sparkling aldehydes.

Aramis is a powerhouse fragrance, there really is no other way to describe it. It reminds me of those other classic leather scents like Robert Piguet's Bandit and Gres Cabochard, however this masculine offering is far more biting and rich.

When I smell Aramis, I picture my Grandfather in the 1940's, with his hair slicked back, wearing an expensive and fashionable leather jacket while he leans against his prized motorcycle. Had he been alive today I would have asked him if he ever wore or smelt this particular fragrance.

Aramis is a scent for strong, aggressive and masculine men. When women smell this they know they're looking at a man that knows his place, and values his masculinity and strength. I wouldn't dare try to wear this myself.

kzm40
kzm40

I remember buying this via mail order.. (must of been a good advert).. It was peppery and gave me headaches.. Horrid.

chrislf
chrislf

This was a distinctive fragrance I used to love in the 60's. Its still going strong so someone must like it. However today I think its just too strong/in your face and as such lacks sophistication/class (its sillage hits you at 100 paces !) .It does last [which many scents don't], but now when I smell it I find there's something sickly sweet about it which i really don't like .

missan

Arther by Lord Hamilton. A concentrated version of Aramis, at least I´m told. But I believe it, this is absolutely wonderful.
missan

Edit: This is definitely edP and one very good one. Seems only be made of natural oils.

Petite poupée
Petite poupée

omg I'm almost SURE this was my first fragrance ever. My dad had got a super tiny bottle of this while he was staying at some hotel I think. And he gave it to me becausse I love miniatures. :D I recognized the bottle immediately when I saw this picture. The scent is pretty horrible though. ;)

caliking
caliking

PEOPLE CALL THIS AN OLD MAN COLOGNE
IT IS A BIT DATED AND A VERY MATURE SCENT
I WEAR THIS WHEN I GO ON JOB INTERVIEWS MAKES ME APPEAR OLDER :)

maiker
maiker

Aramis is a really ELEGANT and SOPHISTICATED perfume, i love it so much, love the mix of leather, musk, bergamot, and gardenia, is perfect for a special occasion. because it lost over 7 hours on me. love you aramis.....

JohnMc
JohnMc

Just about the only scent that I've bought the 'add-ons' for; Shampoo, Shower Gel and deodorant on regular occasions. I haven't ever bought the thing itself i.e. the EDT, however, the sheer quality and comforting sophistication of the ingredients turns a quick shower in the morning into a soothing and luxurious spa-like experience. The anti-perspirant deodorant is altogether way better than any deodorants I've ever used and has very good projection and compliment gathering skills. I'm looking forward to a studied attempt at 'layering' of this scent in the future with the EDT.

Another piece of history to never forget. Aramis is one of those classic male fragrances that hasn't aged at all and is still miles ahead of tones and tones of today's masculines. An archetipal powerhouse leather-chypre built on juxtapositions to increase its charm. A rough-sweet / bold-sharp / cheap-elegant character many times emulated but almost never achived from other perfumes of the same family.

No need to go through notes explanation as this scent should be somehow familiar to everybody (maybe you wore it, maybe your fathers, your grandads, uncles, friends, it depends on your age). But if you have never get in contact with this fragrance and you're looking for a classic masculine from the past that haven't aged at all go for Aramis, NOW!

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

Whenever I smell this - which is rarely these days - I'm instantly transported back to the mid-1970's and my first gorgeous boyfriend. Just wonderful. I hope that, even though it's a classic, some young man will choose this, wear it and create warm, enduring memories for his girlfriend in decades to come.

Pianopolice

This is my first cologne. I was about five when I recieved it as a gift, so it reminds me of my childhood and is very nostalgic for me. If you don't have momory connected to it don't even bother trying it. It is old school, and not suitable for a young or even a middle age guy. I might buy it again to refresh my memory. I am crazy enough to wear it.

Parfumlover
Parfumlover

One of the best Fragrances in the World

ONE OF A KIND!
After reading the reviews and the list of top, middle and base notes I have to say I only smell ONE thing: Aramis. For me, there aren't many fragrances, men's or women's, that are instantly recognizable by name once you get a whiff of the scent in a crowd. Aramis IS one of these. It's a universally signature scent. It has to be worn to be appreciated. Maybe it's because I've been wearing this cologne for twenty-five years, but I don't pick up any one of the individual notes at all. It just smells like Aramis and I don't need to pick it apart. Maybe this is the art of it.

Dry and linear, it's pretty much the same from beginning to end. It only gets finer and finer as the day goes on. I wear it any time I want to express my confidence and feel refined. Dressed up or casual. Day or night.

The thought of not being able to run out and get a new bottle when mine is getting low is very unsettling. I think civilization thrives on change and progress, but I think we get comfort and reassurance from the classic things in life that endure the test of time unchanged. Aramis is one of these classics, and I will continue to wear it. Bravo!

2CentsOnScents
2CentsOnScents

My fathers favorite cologne that does not break the bank. Hes been rocking this fragrance since he was twenty and doesn't think he will get tired of it. Now for my take. I think this is a classic and very professional. I wouldn't recommend this frag to many people under thirty years of age because I see this as a very mature fragrance.
My dad is looking at buying a large 8.1 oz bottle of this fragrance btw.
9 out of 10. For a mature man.

knightlore
knightlore

This is a true Classic scent which never grows old!

rookie_me
rookie_me

Excellent professional scent..

jonovon
jonovon

I just big-love it. The classic Aramis has a barbershop aura that speaks very manly: bold and comforting. Reminds me of those old talc boxes with pompoms attached. It has some kind of a baby smell, too (maybe because of the talc), with a slight fecal tone. Fecal? Oh, please, don't get me wrong: Aramis is outstanding and one of the best scents I've tried.

So, if you like dry scents, try this, if you haven't already. I still prefer Givenchy's Gentleman, though, but note that this just reflects my preferences and doesn't diminish Aramis' qualities at all.

People say you have to wear your best suits with it, but that's just what's expected.
I disagree that you can't pair it with tees and jeans. Actually, I strongly suggest you do that, because classics always go along very well with classics. And having tried this you won't be wanting to smell like CK One or Cool Water, regardless of your outfit.

Make sure you don't overapply it (unless you don't like people), as it's fairly strong. Of all the scents I've worn, this is the one that triggers my olfatory fatigue the most, and not resisting the urge to re-apply it would be suicide. Or terrorism. Here's how I do: I spray it once or twice in the air and walk shirtless through the mist, then put on my tee shirt and I'm done for the day.

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

This is now my signature scent.... i am in my third bottle..
you feel rich and classy
A real man scent....not for teenagers.
It stayed for 45 years and will stay for ever because simply it is great.
Thank you Aramis for this great scent

PieRat
PieRat

Like it a lot. I have both this and Quorum, and the similarities are striking!

guest_ROUSAK
guest_ROUSAK

This is now my signature scent.... i am in my third bottle..
you feel rich and classy
A real man scent....not for teenagers.
It stayed for 45 years and will stay for ever because simply it is great.
Thank you Aramis for this great scent

guest_macoliano
guest_macoliano

One of the best cologne of all times.It,s in the top5 along"Eau sauvage","vetiver-guerlain","polo-r.lauren" &"paco pour homme-p.rabane.But aramis is my choice.

andrevarx
andrevarx

This EDT has a very strong smell. Typically have a slight aroma linear and manly it is very nice. It really smacks of classic fragrance. Although it is recommended for mature men, young men with strong personality can use. Highly recommended for professional and executive image.

jtappenden
jtappenden

A truly great classic.Almost without equal.Very masculine & sensual.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

One of my boyfriends wore this at the age of 22! It does give the impression of being 'grown up' and sophisticated; and I imagine that's the image he was going for. Memories aside, I think it's a very accomplished scent which has changed only slightly since then (late 80's) and has lost a bit of its pungency, I think. A big bonus is that its also reasonably priced and readily available, but you won't be smelling it on another 100 blokes, as you will the ubiquitous aquatic/fougere style which I find horrid and bland.

xerces1492
xerces1492

I know beauty lies in the eyes (or in this case, nose) of the beholder. But i don't really find anything beautiful about it. i was told it was a good scent so i asked the lady at the counter and she said "i'm gonna have to break out the coffee beans." the second i smelled it i knew what she meant. it's WAY too strong! and the jasmine just makes it worse. things have definitely changed since the sixties. liked countbernadotte's review though. i live in dallas just across the county line and yes our women still love strong spicy scents (though not NEARLY as strong as aramis)

Lilian

@svillatoro: Old? It is old, now that you mention it :P It is more than 44 years old, and this has nothing to do with how good it is (if anything, it shows that it has passed the test of time). However, my use of the word was in the context of encountering an 'old friend' :)

svillatoro
svillatoro

I don't know why you classify a scent as "old". This is one of the best fragrances ever. Very very masculine

Lilian

My case is a bit similar to Jalutschka's; I got smitten with old Cabochard's comforting earthiness draped over its smoky, dark sensuality. And I was happy to find them both in Aramis, unscathed (and untamed :) ). The only differences I can feel in Aramis are the sage in the top notes (which fades quickly on me) and the lack of roses. But the soul is the same - a deep, warm embrace that draws you in and exudes comfort and stability.

jimmywinters
jimmywinters

My father got this for Christmas and I never heard of it, so I made fun a little. I thought it was one of those old cheap colognes my sister gets him that he never wears. Well he made a point to correct me by taking me to school on the fact that this was top of the line in his day and still is (by his standards). I smelled it and I can tell its not a cheap cologne but we live in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. Any of you familiar with this scent, are aware there are probably only 3 days a year you can wear this in South Florida. Way better suited for the snowbelt region. Not only that but as for its potency, a quater of one spray will do. He sprayed it twice and I had to stay outside for two hours. Anyway its good stuff for the winter and for older guys. BUT USE VERY LITTLE!

bronstein
bronstein

A classic fragrance to be worn by older gents with style.

For those who were born in the 1970s or later: There are plenty of updates around.

****

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

When I was in high school I was friends with this guy who smoked Marlboro Reds like they were going out of style, listened to trashy grunge/rap rock, and drank Busch on his dad's boat, which was forever parked on a hitch in his driveway. Oh, and he always wore Aramis.

ShiseidoTactics
ShiseidoTactics

Un gran clasico.

denmaz
denmaz

smells so old. it's in same league with boucheron pour homme and azzaro pour homme. wear this if you are 40+

ivoni78
ivoni78

My boyfriend use it. Every time when he hugs me I close my eyes and I know I am the Queen of his heart! He is the "musketeer" of my soul!

vertigo
vertigo

Chypre-aromatic.

Provocative, romantic, sophisticated, masculine.

I've read that it was the first fragrance for men which concentration was the same as in EDP for women.

Indro
Indro

So very Oriental,I love the fragrance.The opening dies down in 30 mins on my skin,then a perfect balance of Sandalwood,leather & musk does the magic with Oakmoss & vetiver in the background,a true classic.

guest_Zinderella
guest_Zinderella

For a while Azuree was not available in Australia and I discovered that Aramis smells very similar on my skin. I was happy wearing Aramis in place of Azuree. I dont think it is too masculine, just sexy and perfect for cold winter days and nights. They eventually decided to bring Azuree back. Now I wear both :)

Andy Capobianco
Andy Capobianco

Aramis is nice. Being 23 it's not targetted at me, but it doesn't bother me. nice sour, citrusy, herbaly, sweet type scent at the opening which I really like, and that dies down a bit in around 45 mins. The leather in this smells good and I'm not that keen on leather fragrances. I find Aramis interesting and strong which are two of my favorite qualities. I also like how surprisingly sweet it is.

guest_c1
guest_c1

I use to buy this in the 60s, but my wife finds it too strong. So I continue with Eau Sauvage, and Caron's Pour Homme, which is not readily available here in US stores.

delo4ya
delo4ya

My old flame used to wear this and it always made me want to jump on him! I love the robust, manly rush. The man who wears this is not shy or meek. He is confident, assertive, and comfortable with himself. It still makes me melt when I smell this on a man!

countbernadotte
countbernadotte

There was a time in America, when Aramis was synonymous with sophistication and success. During that time, I thought sophistication was another fancy name for a drink, and I, as any college student, was struggling hard for success.

And thus goes the story of my first encounter with Aramis in 1987, in Fort Worth, TX, then, a Cow Town with a very famous Christian University “TCU”.

I was in my first year undergraduate school. I had to sacrifice a lot in terms of foregoing many, many lunches to buy a 240ml bottle of the then legendary Aramis.

Texas girls loved its strong, spicy, masculine aroma, and for a kid in his very early freshman days, I had to think about the important things such as slow dancing, which, then, definitely required some preparations to outdo the competition, which was pretty darn strong in a private school such as TCU.

One Friday evening while on my way out to a club, wearing a dark suit and driving a typical student's old clunker, I had to stop at a gas station to fill my tank. As I was paying the cashier, a local young woman, apparently from the school, noticing the dark suit and smelling the very strong Aramis fragrance that I was wearing, chased me out the store for a seemingly normal friendly chat.

Once she saw the sled I was filling up, she froze in her track, shocked; she looked at me from a distance and yelled in disbelief: "You don't know what to do with your money?"

So, a bit of an advice for anyone from my generation, who might be contemplating this classic fragrance, before you buy it, though the dark suit you may be wearing does not have to be an Armani, make sure that the car you are driving is a Porches, a Mercedes, or a BMW, or at least a Lexus

If you can't afford any one of them, do yourself a great big favor and settle for “Eternity” by Calvin Klein.

DHMO
DHMO

This one is a classic for grown up men. It smells very strong and is too overpowering for office or casual use. I really like the scent but feel like I'm way too young to pull it off.
For me this is the scent of wealth, class and maturity.

elgab89
elgab89

Overpowering scent, this is a perfume used by the typical business man of the 60's. It showed guts to wear it and gave the owner an air of masculinity and aggression. It would really not pass unnoticed.
Nowadays the perfume may seem outdated.
It also creates a lot of love - hate reactions. I have to confess I secretly like it, although I would not buy it for my man (and I think he would not be caught dead wearing it - hahaha)
I find it hard to classify it as I feel is more aldehyde than chypre, definitely lots of woods. Not unpleasant, however very strong, with a great sillage - I have met also lots of people complaining about having headaches after they smelled it. Stays long on your skin.
I remember my dad hating this, however a lot of his friends were in love with this.

jeca
jeca

Oh it's so a intensive and aggressive, ultimate masculine, very American scent!

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

This definitely is a classic. I don't think this will ever go out of style. It smells like Class, style and money. A nicely tailored suit and Aramis, people will think you have money and class. Can't go wrong with this one.