Designers » A » Oriental « Groups

JHL Aramis for men

JHL Aramis for men
dislike

JHL Aramis for men Pictures JHL Aramis for men Pictures JHL Aramis for men Pictures JHL Aramis for men Pictures

JHL by Aramis is a Oriental fragrance for men. JHL was launched in 1982. Top notes are aldehydes, orange, , fruity notes, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, fir, cinnamon, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose; base notes are labdanum, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, benzoin and vanilla.

Aldehydes Orange Fruity Notes Bergamot Lemon

Carnation Fir Cinnamon Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose

Labdanum Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Musk Benzoin Vanilla

JHL Fragrance Reviews

dremerick
dremerick

This review is for the vintage (original) formulation. I will ALWAYS have this in my collection. It is, and always will be, simply the best oriental ever produced (In my opinion)!

Banknotes did a poll of the greatest oriental of all time and JHL came out on top . . . I wholeheartedly agree.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Boozy "old lady" perfume smell, really rich and opulent. After the amazing reviews, I was shocked how outmoded and out-of-place it smelled to me, how little I could identify with it. Similar to the cheapies Stetson, Chaps, and English Leather Musk which to me aren't the slightest bit masculine. The booze is appealing but the powder is out-of-control, with a heavy stifling sweetness. Without this, the underlying smooth wood would be along the lines of brands that I like. The base becomes less harsh and more cinnamon-centric, but by then I've given up.

MrStinky
MrStinky

A very rich fragrance for special occassions. Feels like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket of masculinity. Not for boys or everyday use. For grown men, alpha males, who want to smell aristocratic. I can easily picture the guy in the Dos Equis commercials probably wearing this or something similar. Also probably worn by Don Corleone in The Godfather.

Stay thirsty my friends.

AZJeff
AZJeff

This fragrance is one of my favorites. A classic thats been around for many years,but stopped being sold in stores in the late 80's. I bought a bottle back then,and still have the old bottle. The new re-formulated version is good,but the old version is a little better. It's a very elegant spicy woody fragrance. I smell mainly the spice of Cinnamon in it. I'de say it's the masculine opposite of Estee Lauder's "Cinnabar". I've tried other spicy fragrances;i.e.Vetiver-by Guerlain,and Habit Rouge--by Guerlain and possibly Terre D'hermes-by Hermes to name a few but JHL is the best.

jht4060
jht4060

Aramis JHL is a beautiful darkly austere oriental. From the listed notes you would expect something more along the lines of a warm spicy oriental with a sweet tone. There are elements of that genre in JHL, but they are joined by prominent cedary and herbal notes, putting it somewhere between an oriental and an aromatic fougere. The top has a dark citrusy note with a slightly astringent waxy or piney edge, the middle is mildly spicy, dense, and rich, and the base has a more cedar and vetiver feel than the listed notes, with only a touch of benzoin-vanilla sweetness. It is very strong - spray lightly.

Apparently this was named by Estee Lauder for her husband (Joseph Harold Lauder) either just before or after he died (depending on whether or not the release date is exactly correct). I like to think it is a memorial to him. If so, JHL would have been some comfortable mixture of Ernest Hemingway and Beau Brummel, and his memorial scent is a wild safari to the spice islands brought back to the fashion runway. Refined and urbane, but hinting of explosive passions in hidden places. (And then I have lunch with my daughter and have her smell my wrist, and she says "Nice!" and changes the subject. So much for my purple prose, but at least she said nice.)

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * *

A synthetic aldehyde bomb that smells more of onions than cinnamon and roses. It is reminiscent of some feminine Chanels; not at all my cup of tea. This fragrance is all business, all the time. Sterile and asexual.

Sillage: 4/5

RobbieX
RobbieX

If it's like Cinnabar......I really want this one!!

svillatoro
svillatoro

Too overpowering for me, especially cinnamon. I like cinnamon but this has a full cinnamon tree in it. Probably it works better if not overapplied and for colder weather. Not for warm weather though...

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Let me categorize these men's things: most gorgeous goes to a Cartier, most excellent goes to an Hermès, most sensual goes to a YSL, most plush goes to a Bond, and most affluent goes to a Creed. But FAVORITE goes to JHL. This is an orange-cinnamon Youth-Dew milkshake that starts as a glossy homage to 80s excess and recedes to an aldehydic (electrical) aura of confidence. Nothing was spared in the making of this, but it is uniquely balanced and somehow not overdone: cinnamon oriental, brisk incense and balsam, gentle carnation, vintage vanilla rubbing a handsome and friendly musk, bitter citrus, rich wood, and even a greenish chypre in the background. Better, and less pricey per ounce, than anything.

williamvargas
williamvargas

got a sample of this, have heard about it someone i have shared notes with advised me of this one since i like derby so much but so pricy.. i get the derby connection with a sort of cinnamon after taste..very nice fragrance..an old school type vibe but i agree with the luxurious comment of an earlier poster..it is a well made fragrance and is of quality, you can smell that right away. i would recommend trying this one.not sure it is an alternative to derby but there are some similarities..it is like if i want to get that compared to my sample of derby i can but you definitely have the opium vibe..overall i like it better than opium. so i will keep my eyes open on a purchase of this scent.very nice and elegant.

Scentrist
Scentrist

Cinnabar for Men. End of story here. It's really the same template, similar sillage and longevity, almost identical booziness about it.

All of that said, this is still very much a classic scent, though the audience has just grown beyond the sheer heaviness of the scent. Don't expect me to decry the depth factor in this, but this isn't something that I'd expect someone under say 40 to fully appreciate.

Bottom-line for me: It's not something I would own, but it's otherwise a very classic fragrance that continues to be relevant in the same way Guerlain's Shalimar continues to be timeless. Someone new will discover this and simply say "wow".

jtd
jtd

I don’t have a lot to add to what others have said about JHL, and certainly nothing particularly clever, but I would like to add my applause. What a great fragrance for men, and thank you, Aramis for re-releasing it. I would love to smell this on a young person who might discover complexity, plush and density from this fragrance from another era and sensibility. I don’t mean to be cynical about the state of most men’s designer fragrances these past few years, but JHL stands resolutely apart from them. It’s funny, actually. My real complaint about most men’s designer scents is that there are so many, and they vary from each other in such small ways that they smell the same even to people who are looking for distinctions. And yet look at JHL. It’s Cinnabar and Youth Dew with some carnation! Given this slapdash approach but brilliant result, I suppose I can hardly level the ‘sameness’ complaint against current men’s designer scents.

JHL is a beautiful example of Estée Lauder’s transplantation of French sensibility to American perfumery. It’s a rich combination of many ingredients (hesperides, culinary spices, balsams, florals, amber), beautiful evolution over time, and coherence from start to finish. JHL is a tribute from Lauder to classical perfumery, but the way she overlaps genres (spicy, amber, floral) gives us something that likely would not have come from France. Kudos for not sparing the voluptuousness in a men’s scent! We like a little lavishness too!

An "old school" oriental. Unlike many "men's" fragrances of this type, there is no noticeable lavender. However, there is a dry, "soapy" quality, apparently mostly due to the spices and florals. The notes are "legible" yet contribute to a nice blend that possesses reasonable dynamism. It also smells reasonably natural, with a nice sandalwood note. Overall, there is nothing negative one can say about this fragrance, assuming you understand and enjoy the genre. Longevity and projection/"sillage" are at least very good. Presumably, this is best for romantic occasions, bur not for the youngsters. Ispahan by Yves Rocher is similar, but without the strong woody quality of JHL.

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Just as Aramis 900 is an EDT of Aromatics Elixir and Devin of Alliage, so is JHL of Cinnabar. I think it's wonderful that Estee Lauder always released nearly identical male correlates of each of their women's perfumes, since men SHOULD smell more like this. I'm thrilled to see it back in production, though I wonder: why didn't JHL wearers just get the cheaper, stronger, and better Cinnabar instead?

Floritica64
Floritica64

One of my first fine colognes. Very heavy at first but settles down nicely.

BronxBeauty
BronxBeauty

Perfectly fine on a female, too!

desmondorama
desmondorama

I totally agree with Castor; it's a male version of "Opium" by YSL - the way it should have been!

I know, because I've been obsessed with Opium since it's release in 1977.

Very retro masculine fragrance and worth owning for serious collectors.

varondandy
varondandy

BEST WHEN WORN LATE FALL/AUTUMN AND WINTER.I SWEAR THIS JUICE LASTS 36 HOURS ON ME.BELIEVE ME WINTER? HERE IN PUERTO RICO'S MOUNTAINS CAN DIP TO 46F. BUENAS NOCHES/GOODNIGHT.

Castor
Castor

Take the original Opium by YSL (the one launched in the 1970's, targetted to women), take off the flowery top notes, leave the aldehydes and the allspice in the topnotes as well as the cinnamon-based base notes: that is how JHL is like. This includes other properties, like a strong sillage and longevity.

Reviewers mention that Lauder's Cinnabar is the women's version of JHL.

JHL by Aramis 4.28 out of 5 based on 89 ratings and 19 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Aramis JHL fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Aramis JHL, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify JHL by Aramis. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of JHL by Aramis represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.