Designers » A » Oriental « Groups

JHL Aramis for men

JHL Aramis for men
dislike

cinnamon
JHL Aramis for men Pictures JHL Aramis for men Pictures JHL Aramis for men Pictures JHL Aramis for men Pictures

JHL by Aramis is a Oriental fragrance for men. JHL was launched in 1982. Top notes are aldehydes, orange, , fruity notes, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, fir, cinnamon, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose; base notes are labdanum, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, benzoin and vanilla.

Aldehydes Orange Fruity Notes Bergamot Lemon

Carnation Fir Cinnamon Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose

Labdanum Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Musk Benzoin Vanilla

Cinnabar
Opium

JHL Fragrance Reviews

no-fi
no-fi

The house of Aramis began with a trio of increasingly unique chypres, each of which remain classics. Aramis is quintessential leather; 900 is an animalic floral beast; and Devin is a delightfully twisted burst of green.

For its fourth fragrance, Aramis went in a different direction. The house took the subtle subversion of its earlier chypres, and unleashed that rebellious spirit onto an oriental. The result, JHL, is every bit as classic as its forerunners.

JHL is an excellent spicy floriental. The most prominent note is a heady cinnamon that is incredibly potent, yet smooth and rich. The note is worlds apart from the cinnamon in Obsession for men, which to my nose has the olfactory appeal of a splitting headache. It's more like the classy cinnamon of YSL's Opium for women. That spiciness blends nicely with carnation-heavy floral notes, a dash of patchouli, and a smooth accord of amber, musk and rich balsamics.

I haven't tried the original JHL formulation, but it must have been amazing if the current Gentleman's Collection blend is anything to go by. I paid a small premium over other the other scents in the collection because JHL is becoming harder to find. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been discontinued, again, so I had to get it before it was too late.

The pay-off was enormous, however. This scent really performs. Longevity is monstrous and projection is huge. This is no wallflower - prepare to stand out from those wearing the inexplicably popular watery-sweet abominations that pass as fragrances these days.

JHL is a timeless classic - just go easy on the trigger.

DSun
DSun

Following my pleasant experience with Lauder Inc's reformulation of Aramis Devin, I decided to try out another one of their classics, JHL. And just like I anticipated, it's a hollowed out version of itself. It's notably less sweet, very diluted, less cinnamon (yayy!), less oakmoss and sandalwood (of course!)...but greater longevity. All in all, just what I expected but still disappointing.

Some people are of the opinion that JHL is arguably the best masculine oriental and I belong to this camp. But with the current version, it's a precarious position to be in. It's still head and shoulders above what's currently out there, but it's not a strong lead anymore.

One thing I did notice during the reformulation's drydown: I never realized what strong resemblance JHL has to a vintage Brut. It seems like Lauder stole a classic fougere, turned it into an oriental, and got away with it.
-----------------------------------
It's easy to reconstruct the reformulation into faux vintage: Just add oakmoss (a fair amount!), opoponax and sandalwood. Nothing else is missing, but good luck looking for that mysore sandalwood.

2016-06-04. I also tried adding aldehydes C10, 11 and 12...but they were disasters. hehehe.... You might have better luck.Now where can I get my filthy hands on some nitomusks?

mrloh
mrloh

For those who prefer the Vintage JHL I have dicovered a knock off that very closely resembles the original much more than the new version.

nero77
nero77

Manly Spice...

This is one I like quite a bit. It's a variation on Estee Lauder - Cinnabar, which is a spicy oriental floral, and a contemporary or YSL - Opium. This is the male version of those fragrances.It is rumoured that Estee Lauder herself created this fragrance for her husband Joseph H. Lauder, hence the fragrance name JHL.

The level of spice in this fragrance is not something I see in many designer fragrances these days. There is such an array of different notes here it is almost overwhelming. Mainly, Carnation and Cinnamon. Those two dominate this fragrance for me.

I could see this one being worn in the cooler months. I don't see it being something to wear in the heat of summer. Except on cooler nights. It has a tenacity and robust quality which I admire very much about it. To me it's a great example of a spicy fragrance for men but still with a refined quality about it. Not "over the top" in any way.

I think this is still a great fragrance which can be worn today, however there is a slight dated aspect to it, but not as bad as other fragrances of the same era. Many of the best fragrances of all time were created in the 1970's, and for men I think JHL is a great example of a fragrance which is classy, elegant and refined. A really nice one IMO.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

Finally finally found a vintage mini of this and was able to sample it. The vintage is in very high demand and that is reflected in its price. Now, it's true that this cologne is very aged,but the first thing I was struck by was animatic odor...something like castoreum. It's not listed in the notes, but I swear it was there. So this is a dense floral rich animalic fragrance with nice cinnamon like notes. It is strong, slightly dated, but for those who like the vintage Antaeus and vintage Perry Ellis Original for men, this will most likely be right up your alley. If you hate floral notes, steer clear.
PS The animalic aroma didn't last too long...perhaps it was just aged yang ylang or sometimes heady jasmine gives me an animalic impression.

TRhett
TRhett

The original JHL was - by far - the best mass-produced (under $150) men's fragrance EVER. I discovered it at about age 25, and wore it (carefully) for years. It was VERY bold, but settled into a rich, individualistic character after a while. It actually had that "walking a cute dog" effect . . . women would literally stop me and ask what it was (guys, if THAT'S not enough for you, just buy any old cologne). Unfortunately, as with many fine, bold fragrances, this was "reformulated" with less expensive ingredients (said ingredients being what made it so special). The new JHL pretty much smells the same in the bottle, but it does NOT wear the same. Oh, how I wish they would bring the original JHL (and Calvin in the blue bottle for more casual use) back! You can find bottles of the "vintage" original, but I'm a little leery of buying 25 year-old cologne. I think I still have a couple of the original bottles with the copper bottom (which this new formulation doesn't have).

dremerick
dremerick

This review is for the vintage (original) formulation. I will ALWAYS have this in my collection. It is, and always will be, simply the best oriental ever produced (In my opinion)!

Banknotes did a poll of the greatest oriental of all time and JHL came out on top . . . I wholeheartedly agree.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Boozy "old lady" perfume smell, really rich and opulent. After the amazing reviews, I was shocked how outmoded and out-of-place it smelled to me, how little I could identify with it. Similar to the cheapies Stetson, Chaps, and English Leather Musk which to me aren't the slightest bit masculine. The booze is appealing but the powder is out-of-control, with a heavy stifling sweetness. Without this, the underlying smooth wood would be along the lines of brands that I like. The base becomes less harsh and more cinnamon-centric, but by then I've given up.

MrStinky
MrStinky

A very rich fragrance for special occassions. Feels like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket of masculinity. Not for boys or everyday use. For grown men, alpha males, who want to smell aristocratic. I can easily picture the guy in the Dos Equis commercials probably wearing this or something similar. Also probably worn by Don Corleone in The Godfather.

Stay thirsty my friends.

AZJeff
AZJeff

This fragrance is one of my favorites. A classic thats been around for many years,but stopped being sold in stores in the late 80's. I bought a bottle back then,and still have the old bottle. The new re-formulated version is good,but the old version is a little better. It's a very elegant spicy woody fragrance. I smell mainly the spice of Cinnamon in it. I'de say it's the masculine opposite of Estee Lauder's "Cinnabar". I've tried other spicy fragrances;i.e.Vetiver-by Guerlain,and Habit Rouge--by Guerlain and possibly Terre D'hermes-by Hermes to name a few but JHL is the best.

jht4060
jht4060

Aramis JHL is a beautiful darkly austere oriental. From the listed notes you would expect something more along the lines of a warm spicy oriental with a sweet tone. There are elements of that genre in JHL, but they are joined by prominent cedary and herbal notes, putting it somewhere between an oriental and an aromatic fougere. The top has a dark citrusy note with a slightly astringent waxy or piney edge, the middle is mildly spicy, dense, and rich, and the base has a more cedar and vetiver feel than the listed notes, with only a touch of benzoin-vanilla sweetness. It is very strong - spray lightly.

Apparently this was named by Estee Lauder for her husband (Joseph Harold Lauder) either just before or after he died (depending on whether or not the release date is exactly correct). I like to think it is a memorial to him. If so, JHL would have been some comfortable mixture of Ernest Hemingway and Beau Brummel, and his memorial scent is a wild safari to the spice islands brought back to the fashion runway. Refined and urbane, but hinting of explosive passions in hidden places. (And then I have lunch with my daughter and have her smell my wrist, and she says "Nice!" and changes the subject. So much for my purple prose, but at least she said nice.)

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * *

A synthetic aldehyde bomb that smells more of onions than cinnamon and roses. It is reminiscent of some feminine Chanels; not at all my cup of tea. This fragrance is all business, all the time. Sterile and asexual.

Sillage: 4/5

RobbieX
RobbieX

If it's like Cinnabar......I really want this one!!

svillatoro
svillatoro

Too overpowering for me, especially cinnamon. I like cinnamon but this has a full cinnamon tree in it. Probably it works better if not overapplied and for colder weather. Not for warm weather though...

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Let me categorize these men's things: most gorgeous goes to a Cartier, most excellent goes to an Hermès, most sensual goes to a YSL, most plush goes to a Bond, and most affluent goes to a Creed. But FAVORITE goes to JHL. This is an orange-cinnamon Youth-Dew milkshake that starts as a glossy homage to 80s excess and recedes to an aldehydic (electrical) aura of confidence. Nothing was spared in the making of this, but it is uniquely balanced and somehow not overdone: cinnamon oriental, brisk incense and balsam, gentle carnation, vintage vanilla rubbing a handsome and friendly musk, bitter citrus, rich wood, and even a greenish chypre in the background. Better, and less pricey per ounce, than anything.

williamvargas
williamvargas

got a sample, someone I shared notes with suggested I try it since I liked derby so much but so pricy.. after trying this I sort of get the derby connection plus a cinnamon after taste. a very nice fragrance. JHL has that old school vibe or powerhouse aromatics, i agree with the luxurious comment of an earlier poster..JHL is a well blended fragrance and is quality, it announces that right away. To me JHL is similar to derby with an Opium chaser.. JHL is heavy handed, you will get noticed when you wear it .. I view it more for the sophisticated man who enjoys his old fashioned with a good cigar. Handsome devil. thumbs up.

Scentrist
Scentrist

Cinnabar for Men. End of story here. It's really the same template, similar sillage and longevity, almost identical booziness about it.

All of that said, this is still very much a classic scent, though the audience has just grown beyond the sheer heaviness of the scent. Don't expect me to decry the depth factor in this, but this isn't something that I'd expect someone under say 40 to fully appreciate.

Bottom-line for me: It's not something I would own, but it's otherwise a very classic fragrance that continues to be relevant in the same way Guerlain's Shalimar continues to be timeless. Someone new will discover this and simply say "wow".

jtd
jtd

I don’t have a lot to add to what others have said about JHL, and certainly nothing particularly clever, but I would like to add my applause. What a great fragrance for men, and thank you, Aramis for re-releasing it. I would love to smell this on a young person who might discover complexity, plush and density from this fragrance from another era and sensibility. I don’t mean to be cynical about the state of most men’s designer fragrances these past few years, but JHL stands resolutely apart from them. It’s funny, actually. My real complaint about most men’s designer scents is that there are so many, and they vary from each other in such small ways that they smell the same even to people who are looking for distinctions. And yet look at JHL. It’s Cinnabar and Youth Dew with some carnation! Given this slapdash approach but brilliant result, I suppose I can hardly level the ‘sameness’ complaint against current men’s designer scents.

JHL is a beautiful example of Estée Lauder’s transplantation of French sensibility to American perfumery. It’s a rich combination of many ingredients (hesperides, culinary spices, balsams, florals, amber), beautiful evolution over time, and coherence from start to finish. JHL is a tribute from Lauder to classical perfumery, but the way she overlaps genres (spicy, amber, floral) gives us something that likely would not have come from France. Kudos for not sparing the voluptuousness in a men’s scent! We like a little lavishness too!

An "old school" oriental. Unlike many "men's" fragrances of this type, there is no noticeable lavender. However, there is a dry, "soapy" quality, apparently mostly due to the spices and florals. The notes are "legible" yet contribute to a nice blend that possesses reasonable dynamism. It also smells reasonably natural, with a nice sandalwood note. Overall, there is nothing negative one can say about this fragrance, assuming you understand and enjoy the genre. Longevity and projection/"sillage" are at least very good. Presumably, this is best for romantic occasions, bur not for the youngsters. Ispahan by Yves Rocher is similar, but without the strong woody quality of JHL.

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Just as Aramis 900 is an EDT of Aromatics Elixir and Devin of Alliage, so is JHL of Cinnabar. I think it's wonderful that Estee Lauder always released nearly identical male correlates of each of their women's perfumes, since men SHOULD smell more like this. I'm thrilled to see it back in production, though I wonder: why didn't JHL wearers just get the cheaper, stronger, and better Cinnabar instead?

Floritica64
Floritica64

One of my first fine colognes. Very heavy at first but settles down nicely.

BronxBeauty
BronxBeauty

Perfectly fine on a female, too!

desmondorama
desmondorama

I totally agree with Castor; it's a male version of "Opium" by YSL - the way it should have been!

I know, because I've been obsessed with Opium since it's release in 1977.

Very retro masculine fragrance and worth owning for serious collectors.

varondandy
varondandy

BEST WHEN WORN LATE FALL/AUTUMN AND WINTER.I SWEAR THIS JUICE LASTS 36 HOURS ON ME.BELIEVE ME WINTER? HERE IN PUERTO RICO'S MOUNTAINS CAN DIP TO 46F. BUENAS NOCHES/GOODNIGHT.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Aramis JHL fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Aramis JHL, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify JHL by Aramis. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of JHL by Aramis represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.