Designers » A » Woody Chypre « Groups

Histoire D`Amour Aubusson for women
dislike

yellow floral
Histoire D`Amour Aubusson for women Pictures

Histoire D`Amour by Aubusson is a Woody Chypre fragrance for women. Histoire D`Amour was launched in 1984. Top notes are osmanthus, basil, bergamot and tangerine; middle notes are orange blossom, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and narcissus; base notes are patchouli, oakmoss, sandalwood, amber and honey.

Osmanthus Basil Bergamot Tangerine

Bottega Veneta Eau Legere

Histoire D`Amour Fragrance Reviews

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

I owned this one several years ago, and although I liked it, especially it's multi-faceted quality and beautiful, deliberately old-fashioned bottle (it's a copy of an actual antique bottle), it was too leathery for me, so I gave it to a dear friend on whom leather is a beautiful soft powdery cloud instead of the rancid grass clippings it becomes on me.

It surprises me that anyone would call it "old lady", unless floral mixtures with leather have that connotation. A few other perfumes that it shares some similarities with are Rochas' Femme, Guerlain's Parure and some other floral-fruity chypreish juices with leather notes.

AneV
AneV

Review For Cherie (purple bottle)

Top: peach nectar, white pepper, magnolia
Middle: jasmine sambac, midnight tuberose, water lily
Base: sandalwood, tonka, musk, leather (notes taken from a cosmetics site that sells the juice)copied and pasted From a previous Review

Ok so this is old? Huh smells pretty modern to me (like victoria's secret stuff) The beginning is kinda harsh. The jasmine sings on my sisters hand but I get tuberose. I get no Tonka and in my book that is excellent. Worth a try I got this and bvlgari rose essentielle and she prefers this. Floral Lovers this is for you. Dirt cheap too

drugstore classics

I'm sure this won't give out the same vibes on everyone, yet it's definately worth a try! I agree with another member that the bottle alone is worth the price. :)

My impression remains the same as it was on first acquaintance, that Histoire is a high quality fragrance of beautiful construction.

FIVE stars

empressevie
empressevie

What the??? I just bought this for $16. Read the reviews, thought why not??

Wow...that was a wonderful call!!

This stuff is ...remarkable. Warm green, sweet, but tempered by the green. Creamy, beautifully balanced.. not an expert, but I can't call the notes because it is all so well blended. What I can say is it has that singing, joyous chypre thing going on, and it's divine.

And what's the deal with the way these oldies actually smell...modern perfume strength sillage and longevity in an eau de toilette??? Remarkable composition.

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves, Miss Balmain, Ma Griffe, and so on. Honestly, this is behaving like a class act such as Chanel Number 5....without the price tag!

I'm ordering three more bottles today....
Enough said!!

Red Theodora
Red Theodora

Histoire D'Amour is a deep and complex Chypre. A little top heavy on the floral for my taste. Still the oakmoss and patchouli in the base give the drydown a nice fullness.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I received this lovely fragrance in a swap so I have no idea what vintage I have but despite "granny" status (which offends me)...this is a lovely spicy floral. The jasmine and the oak moss are warmed up by the galbaumn. HDA is a very wearable feminine chypre. Seems like some chypres are very masculine (which is what I love about them). This perfume is deep with many layers folded together in the most attractive way. I really love it!❤️

Happy Perfuming!

I've only tried the vintage version. I could see a niche company market this as a "masculine floral" (as it doesn't come across as "old" or "granny"), and agree that there is something incense-like in the base, probably a combination of galbanum (no, it's not especially "green") and oakmoss (the patchouli is not strong). The florals are not assertive but they are a bit powdery. From what I remember, Lyric Man was more floral than this, and a bit too "big." By contrast, this one has excellent balance, though projection ("sillage") seems to come in wafts, so sometimes it seems to disappear for a while. What's interesting is that it has rich and aromatic qualities without going too far in either direction (orientals can be very rich, for example). As you might expect, it doesn't come across as "synthetic" in any way (it's a bit dry, but not sweet or creamy, and certainly not syrupy). You can still get lucky and find a vintage bottle on ebay at low prices, so don't pass it up if you think it might work for you.

Croneangel
Croneangel

First: I'm glad to see that some folks can appreciate the new version. I CAN NOT. This has to be one of the most heinous reformulations ever inflicted on a perfume. (yes! I know there are a lot of those) Maybe I'm touchy about it because its one of my most beloved fragrances. Anyway, my review for the latest version is "Its HORRIBLE!"
Ok, now that that's out of the way..... the older version Edt is simply enchanting. Wonderfully composed. The basil note at the opening has just the right amount of bite to it. The florals have a vintage vibe that is beyond charming. Then the ylang ylang and galbanum melt together creating a resinous incense that seeps into the pores of every other note! One of the best woody chypres out there.
The Edp is, of course, richer and a tad more smoky.
The Parfum is magnificent! Starts out with a smooth yet intense note that reminds me of a chunk of aged firewood. Blackened by flames. The charred wood still retaining the scent of the tree itself. That note mingles with the oakmoss and creates a perfect chypre base for the rich florals. If you find the parfum.... treat yourself!

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

I've got the Cherie version of Histoire d'Amour. The opening isn't much to speak of, kind of harsh. Notes of the Cherie version are:

Top: peach nectar, white pepper, magnolia
Middle: jasmine sambac, midnight tuberose, water lily

The peach is a more tangy, natural smelling peach, not caramelized or sugary. Mixed with the tuberose and other florals, however, there's a sort of strange smell to it that I'm not really liking too much.

As it dries down and the notes begin to harmonize a bit better, Histoire d'Amour Cherie begins to remind me of the opening stages of Fujiyama Mon Amour, which is a pleasant fruity floral that I enjoy quite a bit. However, what I love best about Mon Amour is the dry-down, where the peachy notes blend seamlessly with the florals to create a soft, creamy scent, though not as deep, of the same texture or character as that of Coco or Feerie.

Still, while not the creamy kind of scent I tend to enjoy most, Cherie's later dry-down is fresh and floral, fruity but not overly sweet, with a hint of spice (likely pepper combined with the tuberose) and a slight allusion to depth lurking in the background. Because it takes quite a while to get to this stage, I'm not sure I'll wear it too often.

Priced at $8 on discount at my local TJ Maxx, it's not a bad buy for an occasional wear on crisp, breezy, sunny days, but I probably won't replace it if I ever manage to finish the bottle.

Delightful!

greenelf
greenelf

I'm finding all these reviews very interesting--long ago, back in the 80's I picked up a mini of the Original of this scent and liked it a lot--and loved the bottle! So, when I saw this 3.4 oz spray at T.J.Maxx, for about $7, I said, what the hey! I strongly suspect this has been reformulated--(the packaging says Palm Beach FLA)--but I rather like it! There were a lot of good Chypre scents that were big in the 80's--Knowing, Bill Blass Black, etc and this takes me back to that decade, where wearing a strong dressy fragrance wasn't considered obnoxious at all! I found the comparison to the Original Norell interesting--I always got a lot more azalea from Norell, so it seemed a lot sweeter to me than this does, but the mossy greenness is right on! And--I still love the bottle!

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

I can't get enough of this scent! For the price, it's amazing to me. I picked it up at TJMaxx for under $10, a blind buy based on reviews, and this has to be one of my happiest purchases I've made that way. I've been wearing it for awhile and I absolutely love this.
The ylang-ylang and bergamot, soft and dancing around the patchouli and oakmoss make a heavy incense that lasts for hours. This is a scent for a wearer that enjoys mature, full-bodied fragrances that are earthy and full-scented. Wearing it, I am transported to a haven of trees, where Spanish Moss hangs, perhaps, where it is cool and damp and the air is heavy with the scents of the woods around me. I am inhaling all the scents the forest has to offer and feeling the Earth's spiritualness from within. If this is what a Chypre is all about, then I want to bask in its scents of the woods. Absolutely fulfilling as fragrance, this will not leave you wanting for more.
For the price point, you will be pleasantly pleased and able to taste the woods for yourself.
The bottle is surprisingly huge. It's also very pretty. Simple, timeless and Victorian in style. An excellent Fall and Winter fragrance to wear on those chillier days and nights.

gabri
gabri

I agree this is a classic , I found it at TJMax at a very low price. It reminds me of another scent but I forget which one.In any case as most french perfumes it lacks any kind of artificial essences, which is great.It's strong and sensuall
and I'm so happy to heve found it.:o)

celebrity89
celebrity89

ATTENTION: This review is for Cherie (not cataloged).

Cherie comes in the same bottle, but is purple. I bought it because it was really cheap. I didn't luck out this time. This fragrance smells like a Micheal Kors, Tease, Radiance wanabe mixed with the smell of dog ears. I'm not joking. It has a really nasty base of some kind. Too bad, the bottle's kind of pretty.

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

Smooth as silk with galbanum and ylang ylang yielding (eventually) to a dry neroli and osmanthus with just a hint of fougere character. The dry down is a woody and sweet skin scent, about 8 hours later. I'm delighted by the sophistication and longevity of Histoire D`Amour. A lucky find in a retro bottle.

Jerine123
Jerine123

OK, I ordered this 3.4 oz and it was horrible! After checking out most of these reviews, I figured out that the first bottle that I purchased just HAD to be OLD and stale. I am so happy that I exchanged it and tried a second bottle. Frag Net did a quality check and the second bottle I received was truly a masterpiece and smelled nothing like the first! This is NOT a shy fragrance but what an elegant amazing beautiful chype. It is such a classic beauty and I am thrilled that I recognized the first bottle was "off". It definitely has a creamy woodiness and sweet dry down and the staying power is just off the charts! If you get a bad bottle, it really has a sharp, sour, stale, musty smell that actually burns the nose so I can see where some would think OL or Walgreens, but consider that you may have a stale bottle also.....I think this one may be a treasured secret. WOW I am so thrilled I gave it a second chance.

sarmstro
sarmstro

Norell was my signature fragrance for over 30 years. Then they reformulated it and it lost it's charm. Those top notes still make you say "Oh wow!" at first and then it quickly fades to nothingness.
I have been searching for something similar and Historie d amour is it. Very similar to the old Norell.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

There are far worse things than old drug store chypres. Especially ones that have been sold for decade after decade, because they...smell so good! I agree this has some Tabu quality, some Royal Secret-ness. I wore a older bottle of edt today and it made me seriously happy. (A contradiction? Who cares!) The sillage is now gone, but I can still smell it on my skin 12+ hours later. Wowee. But I so love an older scent and now that I know I want a great big bottle, I wonder if a newer one will smell as fabulous? I guess at these prices, it is worth the risk. Anyone know if this has been reformulated?

Soie
Soie

I've had a large bottle, the 3.4 oz size, of this for about 10 years. I just went to get it to sample for this review, and found that it's almost finished -- just a few more sprays are left. It's one of the few perfumes that I have of that size that I've even come close to finishing.

I was a smoker when I first bought it, and at that time it smelled, to me, classy and ladylike; a clean / soapy fragrance, with freshening notes of citrus and orange blossoms, and richer, honeyed notes of osmanthus ... it has none of that sharpness or men's deodorant / aftershave effect of so many of the current 'clean' type scents.

These days I'm no longer a smoker, and, in currently sampling this, it still does have that bright soapiness, but now I am able to also detect the somewhat bitter earthy & moss / forest floor notes that I couldn't smell before.

Histoire d'Amour is a far better and far more nuanced fragrance than many of the koolaid fragrances I test these days and don't bother to purchase.

olga1780
olga1780

After testing so many fragrances, I must admit, I have become very discerning about cheap perfumes....but wow, this fragrance still managed to captivate my senses! This is a real classic beauty, and I don't mean it is just good for its price....this is really beautiful regardless of how much it costs.
Histoire D`Amour is one of those timeless golden classic chypres....glamorous and alluring. It is very similar to vintage Galanos and Ombre D' in style. The composition is EXTREMELY smooth, not a hint of chemical whiff to my nose.This under-priced little gem is definitely worth having in my collection.

Bebette
Bebette

I have a little bottle of this in a drawer I've somehow managed to keep for at least 15-18 years and several moves later. I was fascinated by the bottle and my babysitter gave it to me. Struggling to read the font on the bottom as it is veryyy faded, I discovered "Histoire Amour" and the rest is history. I'm happy I finally know what it is, and I thought I'd be able to appreciate it but I don't think I can. The only scent I detect on my skin is a rich, musty, incense, it reminds me of the incense used during mass on Sunday and of the oils they annointed us in. I don't hate it, it's mildly comforting because of the memories, but I wish I could detect some of the other ingredients as they are some of my favorite. It is definitely a CLASSIC perfume. I guess back in the drawer it goes.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

WONDERFUL perfume! Smells classy and elegant. Fresh chypre opening melts down with roses and deep woody even smoky like scent.
This kind of perfumes are not on the top buying list nowdays, but I like it very much. Type of signature fragrance, kind of classy timeless scent. Elegant and sophisticated.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Even though I loathe the expression when it comes from the pens of teenagers, I would have to be the first to agree with Sherapop that this perfume defines "OL". This is a classic. To me it is kind of reminiscent of Balenciaga's Rumba, and of that hoary old chestnut Tabu by Dana.

Use with discretion, this is a floral/warm spicy bomb. A wonderful winter perfume. I'm happy to have my little mini, recently acquired from ebay.

This is one old lady who is PROUD to be able to carry this off.

I have to say that I'm surprised to learn that Aubusson HISTOIRE D'AMOUR was launched in 1984. I'd have guessed closer to 1884. Even the bottle looks as though it might well have been blown in the nineteenth century. One thing is clear: this perfume could be used quite effectively to define the expression "old lady perfume" by ostension. HISTOIRE D'AMOUR is the very essence of all that people hate or love about "old lady perfumes." Ponderous, introspective, dusty, even musty. The drydown of this perfume is a joyous old-school chypre to be cherished. But, to be perfectly frank (quoi d'autre?), spraying this stuff on initially evokes in my mind instantaneous images of grandmothers meandering about Walgreens drugstore.

Yes, as is true of all things, finer distinctions can be made within the broader category of "old lady perfumes"—of which, I should clarify, I own quite a few. There are old lady perfumes, and then there are old lady perfumes. CHANEL NO 5, FIRST, CALECHE, WHITE LINEN, among others, stand on one side of the thin white line, while somewhat less noble old ladies are found on the other. Dare I say "YOUTH DEW", the perversely named Platonic Form of "old lady perfume," to which all others can only aspire?

Drugstore cheap chypre is the bottom line here. This is not the perfume of the Carmen Dell'Orefice featured in the doubly embarrassing "Class is forever" ad. (Is she unaware that the advertisers are implying that she is *infinitely* old? Is she unaware that people who talk about "class" are usually those conspicuously devoid of the same?) No, HISTOIRE D'AMOUR is more the speed of the nonagenarian with wrinkles on top of wrinkles who, when asked to reveal her secret to longevity, smiles, baring dark yellow teeth and crinkling the skin around her eyes even more, as she replies: "I've smoked a pack of Camel straights everyday now for sixty years."

Eventually, after drying down, the wafts of "old lady at the drugstore" from the opening of HISTOIRE D'AMOUR (apparently also ironically named...) dissipate considerably, but they still beat their way back now and then, like the woman who obstinately refuses to renounce her Camel straights or the deadwood professor who will not retire before his cold corpse must be pried from his desk.

Yes, lest anyone misinterpret my colorful examples: I respect HISTOIRE D'AMOUR, and I have every intention of holding on to this bottle until death do us part—in spite of the intermittent wisps of old lady whispers in my ears.

me79
me79

What a glorious Fragrance, it's divine, really !

Brenwen
Brenwen

The bottle alone is worth the price I paid for this. When I saw the juice, I thought, "uh-oh this might be too 'old-fashioned' for me". But! I judged too quickly. It is not heavy or too 'dusty' or 'old' smelling. I am still sniffing my wrist over an hour after first spray, and loving it.

candymarie
candymarie

I feel challenged in some way after reading these favorable reviews and then trying this perfume. What am I missing? All I smell is stale, ordinary, old-fashioned drugstore quality perfume.

And I consider myself vintage-friendly (after all, my all-time favorite is 40 years old).

I am learning that some types of perfume are not immediately accessible, and in the same way that dry wines are an acquired taste, I'm thinking maybe some perfumes are too. I'm just not motivated to try on this one.

Or maybe I got a bad bottle.

What a masterpiece!!! Very elegant but strong green perfume, goes in the manner of Lancetti Suspense or a VERY strong Silences! The price is UNBELIEVABLE too!!!

imoore

It is winter now minus 5 outside and snowing! Right weather for this frag. Still pondering buying a big bottle.

allexa27
allexa27

Similar to L`arte di Gucci.A very good perfume for chypre lovers

imoore

I wish I was much older, or at least to have winter now to wear this perfume, sommer or not I shall try it tomorrow for the first time and decide to purchase a full bottle or not.
At first glance it is a warm cuddly chypre.

one2evolve
one2evolve

Jasper called it death by ylang-ylang but the opening note on me was a veritable sledgehammer made of patchouli held together by benzoin. My initial thought was to wash my wrist, but the phone rang. So, as I talked to my friend on the phone with the offending wrist held away from me I began to notice a mysterious, rather seductive "enchanted woods" quality. I am going to wait and see what develops next. It feels like being lured into
a forest where you know danger lurks, but, you are going anyway.

weegee
weegee

I imagine Histoire D'Amour is what the forest's randy little elves and gnomes wear to spark their intendeds' desire to make whoopee in dark, moist bowers lined with oakmoss and rose petal bedding.

The herbal tang of the basil and bergamot opening is sweetened by the juicy syrup of mandarin oranges that leads straight to the incense of galbanum and ylang ylang. On me the patchouli, musk and oak moss start vibrating up from the basenotes almost immediately, lifted by galbanum's resinous liquor. But yes, one must love ylang-ylang to fully appreciate this beauty.

There's a Grimm's fairytale wildness to this woody chypre that does truly enchant me.

Among the strongest edt I've ever encountered, Hd'A lasts 12 hours on my skin and days on clothing (spray only on dark colors though). Underappreciated and underpriced.

Jasper
Jasper

Histoire D`Amour aka.death by ylang-ylang

The amount of ylang-ylang in this one is enough to put JPG Classique to shame.
Powerful, authoritative and ruthless, I can match the smell with some beautiful bit**es from Jackie Collins's Hollywood stories. Really strong opening but if you go easy on the nozzle and wait til the dry down, it is quite charming. Powdery sweet with rather woodsy base.

perfumeaddict
perfumeaddict

Anyone who is beginning to explore Chypres should try this. It was an amazing, wonderful discovery to me when I first tried it, and remains one of my favorite woody fragrances. To me, it has a creamy woodiness, if that makes sense.

Histoire D`Amour by Aubusson 4.09 out of 5 based on 109 ratings and 35 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Aubusson Histoire D`Amour fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Aubusson Histoire D`Amour, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Histoire D`Amour by Aubusson. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Histoire D`Amour by Aubusson represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.