Designers » A » Floral Green « Groups

50's glam Avon for women

50's glam Avon for women
dislike

A new perfume by the house of Avon arrives in sale by catalogs in April 2009. This fragrance for women brings us a breath of elegance and glamour of the 50's of the last century.

The sophisticated cocktail opens with fruity aromas of apple and perssimon, while a heart blooms with a beautiful bouquet of gardenia and rose. Musk and woody notes of moss and vetiver create an intoxicating base. The perfume is available as 50 ml (1.7 oz) EDT.

Persimmon Red Apple Ivy

Gardenia Rose Honeysuckle

Vetiver Musk Oakmoss

50's glam Fragrance Reviews

Katieg
Katieg

I'm so sorry this has been discontinued. I love the smell and I get compliments when I wear this but something a year later has changed. Not the scent itself but it's too sickly headachy, there's no mystery no depth. It's a one dimensional floral that smells the same for hours. I like depth, mystery questions. Otherwise as a simple uncomplicated scent it's really nice. And not so much rosy as Diorissimo like fake lily of the valley

bonnie52
bonnie52

I love this perfume! To me, it smells like a green scent with florals mixed in. I always have someone that asks "who smells so good?" and they are referring to me. I love it! I wasn't impressed with the 60's & 70's scents though.

veda
veda

What a fragrance...Spring in a bottle.I so loVe this one not because I'm a 50's fan but because a delicate soul gifted me this bottle of joy and hope.The flowers are so nice and with the first spray they pop out!!It reminds me a bit of J'adore Dior after 10 minutes but just a whiff of it.The rose is not so strong just a wonderful Spring bouquet.If you have a romantic heart you gonna love this!!

greenelf
greenelf

I really, really like this scent--and I am bummed that it has already been discontinued, but hey, that's Avon! It's a sweet, fresh, green floral that reminds me a lot of their Haiku, which I also love. It lasts very well on me, too--and I still have some of the body lotion left, so I may have to pick up another bottle! I'd also like to try Mark's "Earth" fragrance--also discontinued but some is posted on this site as well.
My only complaint about this scent, is that it reminds me not at ALL of anything my mother used to wear in the 50's. She adored Tabu--(great violin bottle, but gag me!)Now I am curious about their 60's fragrance.....

ggkeller
ggkeller

I Love this one! I smelled the rose in this one its last long its floral but its not a headache in a bottle. It last a long time. If you want something with a rose scent this it it! I wonder who at Avon decides to keep what and get rid of what.This one they should of kept.

bre.emry
bre.emry

I can't wear this, I do like the smell. But, it is sweet rose smelling with a tiny bit of musk. The reason I can't wear it is because the musk over powers everything on my skin. :/ I wish I could wear this, the rest of you who can are lucky ducks.

miserysbutterfly
miserysbutterfly

Lovely on paper but smells like the green Palmolive soap on my skin! I was super excited to purchase this after smelling a paper sample because the scent is sooo old Hollywood, so glamourous! But alas this is not the scent for me, what should smell beautiful ends up being overpowering and cheap smelling.

1nov
1nov

I think In Bloom and 50's glam are the best perfumes from Avon they don't smell cheap at all .

sunshineandsara
sunshineandsara

This is a very nice fragrance, the only Avon I like. Soft and fresh, sweet and green. Very unlike most avon fragrances, which share some note that I am not fond of.It lasts all day on me, with subtle sillage. great!

kuzina85
kuzina85

I really like it. This scent is very floral and green, and delightfully tart, as I consider because of vetiver that I admire with all my heart. It might seem strange, but I like it the most in winter - this perfume energizes me, elevates my spirit and reminds of spring, youth and simple human happiness. In summer time on my skin turns out to be stifling and dry, with harsh notes, so the summer heat simplifies it and makes it smell like a cheap cologne.

Ygsgirl
Ygsgirl

I also agree..def FLORAL!!I kno it's rose but it actually reminds me of lilacs. I grew up with two lilac trees outside my house n thats the first thing that came to mind when I smelled it. Started with a sample...always been sketchy bout buying avon perfume cause it always reminded me of "grandma". First I wasn't sure, but once it dried I was in LOVE! So sad avon discontinued! Baught 2 bottles off Amazon

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

At first spray a mossy, rosy smell that's not bad. Although I was born a few decades later, I think this one smells like the 50's; simple, flowery and kind of green. Very feminine. Granted; it's not one of the best frags, but it's not bad either. A very casual scent.

scentofpeace
scentofpeace

Someone's review said it reminded them of toilet paper or something, and I absolutely agree! It smells like toilet paper scented with too many florals, and I had to get rid of the fragrance ASAP. it's not totally repulsive, and i don't smell a "smoky rose", but i know that i'd rather smell a smoky rose then what it does smell like. not worth the try, not worth the buy.

Patricia888
Patricia888

I liked the descriptions several of you used for this perfumed - smoky rose. That`s exactely what I feel, no more no less. It`s a non-complicated perfume easy to wear.

goingblonde
goingblonde

Just not for me.
Smells like the pink hand soap found in industrial kitchens and or public restrooms- :(

scentsohigh
scentsohigh

A very scent-ful floral smell! i may say that the smell are very honestly strong at first but it will soon subside and left you with a very fresh, smooth and clean aroma! to be honest i thought that the rose smells like jasmine. oops! Owh and it s a must have for all teen girls or young adult. its an appealing kinda smell to me. Best use it Day and Night.it will help you stay fresh all day i may say and the smell last long on my skin. =)

RadwaElshami
RadwaElshami

To my nose, this is purely floral. It is sad Avon discontinued selling this one. So clean and fresh.

kasiagrygny
kasiagrygny

I Love this scent. It is FLORAL!!! With capital letters. So if your not into just floral, then it's not for you. For a floral however it is classic and sweet smelling. Makes you feel classy

Kione
Kione

I like the starting notes, I do not normally like rose but I am liking it in this perfume. The longevity is amazing, applied it last night before bed and this morning still smell even if I have to sniff my wrist, thats very good for an Avon fragrance.

I just don't like the dry down. Smells like a mixture of perfumes, like you've applied different perfumes that don't go together on top of each other.

That was just a test on my wrist though, maybe be I have to try applying it properly but for some reason I don't feel like it.

neverdene
neverdene

I just purchased this perfume because it was deeply discounted on avon.com. I wasn't expecting much, and my expectations were met. On my skin, this fragrance smells distinctly like a new roll of lightly scented toilet paper. Toilet paper is pretty low on the list of things I want to smell like.

daliflora
daliflora

This smelled to me as a "not so bad" scent, despite my prejudice against the quality of Avon fragrances for ladies. However, a perfume without personality. Not worth buying, IMHO.

Cynicalwish
Cynicalwish

Smokey rose. Not fruity on my skin, but not too harsh either. Stays pretty much the same all day. The longevity is not bad, I sprayed it 8hrs ago and I can still detect it.
Not the best but not bad. I should try it again in fall.

ALEXANDRA1983
ALEXANDRA1983

SO FEMENINE, FRESH WHEN I WEARE IT , EVERY ONES TELL ME HOW GOOD I SMELL IM NOT A BIG AVONS FAN BUT THIS FRAGANCE IS UNIQUE.... CHEAP,GOOD,MAKEME FEEL SO DELICATE.... GREAT FOR ROMANTICS LOOKS IN SOFT COLOURS ::::)

Liina
Liina

I agree with pansylady on 50's Glam - all I can detect on my skin is fruity, nothing floral, nothing green. But I like these fruits. Well, actually the persimmon is very dominant. It smells like a big ripe persimmon full of juicy sweetness. I really fancy this scent.

suile
suile

Even I'm not old enough to remember the 50s first hand, but my mother and older sister loved fragrances too, and this one really reminds me of the lighter type perfumes of that era, e.g. Goya's Black Rose. It's a fun fragrance, always put me in a good mood to wear it.

Avon are promising more retro fragrances from different eras, we've had 50s and 60s and are now due some more.

fanciful
fanciful

Actual notes:

TOP: persimmon, apple, clementine, ivy
MIDDLE: honeysuckle, gardenia, rose
BASE: vetiver, oakmoss, musk

scuttle205
scuttle205

I purchased this because it was on sale for 6 bucks and there were enough favorable reviews that I figured I had nothing to lose! I like this scent a lot, though I am usual anti-florals and find them to be too heavy. There's something very girly and feminine about this scent, while still feeling very casual. It is a tad heavy on application, but balances out nicely and pretty quickly. This might sound strange, but it's kind of like "grandma chic" in furniture style - it embraces the old and vintage while still remaining in touch with the now!

pansylady
pansylady

All that I picked up from 50s Glam was strange bitter fruit notes- no florals or green notes anywhere to be found on me...

perfumegirl

avon - please bring this perfume back 50,s glam as i understand has been discontinued along with 60,s mod perfume ... bring them back !!!!!

perfumegirl

i really love this perfume and now find its been discontinued along with the body spray which is a real shame a real 50,s retro feel to this one and this is a scent that matched me perfectly .im so glad i have a body spray left coz its so good this smells great lasts all day isnt at all overpowering its a very girly perfume but makes me feel like a 50,s movie star and feel so glamourous !xx

RkrChk
RkrChk

I absolutely LOVE this Avon frag! The opening was a little scary the first time I tried it...Now I find that I can't live without this fragrance!

There is almost no musk, but the ivy, oakmoss & vetiver blend so well together...The gardenia isn't present on my skin, but the crisp apple and persimmon give it a gorgeously arid, tart, non-sugary edge...

On me, it's more woody than rosey or green...This is definitely one of my faves; I sometimes spray a little on before I go to bed...Olfactively, this fragrance provides a 'sense of well being' for me...It's highly addictive!

I love the amazing scent it leaves on my skin and clothes! The drydown is divine...

guest_RkrChk
guest_RkrChk

I absolutely LOVE this Avon frag! The opening is a little scary on me because the top notes almost smell chemical-like with a hint of mothball, but the drydown is divine...There is almost no musk for me, but the vetiver & oakmoss blend so well together on my skin, it's more of a woody scent than green...

maid_marilyn
maid_marilyn

I'm so disappointed - this one does not work for me at all. The apple and persimmon start sour on my skin and stay that way, a complaint that I notice that *no one* else has made. Tart fruity notes seem to go bitter on me: Wish of Love (cranberry) and Fire Me Up (grapefruit) were both unbearably sour on my skin.

Clearly this is down to body chemistry. I'm getting a little rose, no honeysuckle, some soap, and a whole lot of under-ripe persimmon. It's a shame. I thought I'd love this.

guest_Nana
guest_Nana

It's not light, at first... But it changes and turn in to a delicate, very delicious fragrance... But I preferer 60's Mod!

Sissi
Sissi

Today i'v received this from a swap
my first impression to was to light it
wont last long but to my surprise it has a nice staying power. I love the Blushed rose brings 1950's Femininity
With it's hourglass silhouettes pastel
color Dresses with endless Supply of
petticoats pearls ponytails you and sister are in your bedroom getting ready for your hot dates music blasting
of Pat Boone Fabian And Of Course the King ELVIS! how can you leave Elvis out
a sense of Innocence before the Asassionation of J.F.K The Vietnam war The hippie Movement the M.L.K Asasinations when things where Optimistic.

guest_Lucia 1987 Benitez
guest_Lucia 1987 Benitez

It smells so good I like it and I am dying to try 60's pop and bond girl fregrances.

Diegof7
Diegof7

é uma fragrancia floral verde e rica em
aldeídos que dão uma explosão refrescante na saída, depois fica mais floral e apimentado, a fixação é longa e ele tem um toque vintage todo especial que o diferencia dos demais.

weegee
weegee

50's Glam is simultaneously the "amped-up rose" version of Revlon's Fire & Ice Cool and the "toned-down rose" version of Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose. Fire & Ice Cool has so mild a rose note that I call it unisex and Tea Rose includes the flower, leaves, stem, roots and the soil the whole rosebush is planted in!

50's Glam is a true wild rose picked before sunrise when the dew is still beaded on it in little teardrops. It's a watery rose that's cool and crisp (is that the apple & persimmon perhaps?) rather than too-sweet, warm or cloying.

Looking outside I see snow and ice but the scent of 50's Glam is whispering that spring is on the way.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

I'm surprised at all the positive reviews for this perfume (except for one negative one so far!). I ordered a bottle of this, along with a bottle of Far Away Dreams, and was very disappointed. As soon as I sprayed some of this perfume on the first thing that hit me was an overpoweringly synthetic rose smell which I found very off-putting. It was so strong it almost made my nose burn! I was hoping it would improve once it was on my skin but it definitely didn't and I found the smell so unpleasant I had to wash it off! It does have good staying power though because even after scrubbing it off I could still smell the perfume so I had to go and spray one of my perfumes over the top of it to make it go away! So, I really didn't like this at all and found it quite unpleasant. I'm definitely returning the bottle I ordered.

KellyChrisp
KellyChrisp

Impressive opening notes, strong rose with hints of jasmine/ gardenia which unfortunately does not last for more than 5 minutes on me. The dry down is more masculine like. If the floral notes lasted longer on me I wold definetely keep it. I really want to like it but I dont.

Aalia
Aalia

I am pleased the apple and persimmon are not too prominent. They are light, perhaps just there to keep the scent from being bitter, and to give a broad appeal to customers. The rose is the strongest floral note, but, the gardenia cuts the rose, and it melds with the rose, both functions performed so spectacularly well. The rose and gardenia seem to fight for position, but the rose always wins. The vetiver and oakmoss are always there, sharp, and contrasting with the rose. Sometimes they peek out, and you feel something dry, woody. This scent persists as a floral through wear, a truly simple, but slightly decadent, pure floral. The green notes never fade, the scent stays green, from start to finish. I do not think of it as "glamourous", but, it does have a head-strong prescence. I am greatly surprised, for all of it's attributes, including excellent fixation and sillage. This scent has personality, kick and style, and even more class, elegance, and beauty.

Update- I just recieved a bottle. I had tested it with a "wipe" sample, wich I thought gave a true scent. The sample was missing-HONEYSUCKLE. There is tons of honeysuckle in this perfume, wich, I adore. :)

poppy_vanderbilt
poppy_vanderbilt

From the description i didn't think i would like this...it is a true pretty floral...it opens immediately with the rose on me but it is an oh so tender delicate rose with just a hint of warm gardenia and delicious baby powder... the dry down on me stays almost the same excpet for an even warmer delicate rose with a hint of wood...this is a beautiful floral... i usually don't like this type of fragrance but the fact that it is NEVER heavy means you could really spray this on and it still stays soft and never over-powering and it smells both vintage and contemp... as for the 50's glam name it isn't a fragrance you would have found on Ava Gardner..Monroe..or Elizabeth Taylor i picture a young Grace kelly wearing a dusty rose cashmere sweater set and a delicate strand of pearls with ballet flats...Good one Avon!

gesch
gesch

This was such a nice surprise: I received a sample of this, unwanted, but thought 'what the heck' and tried it. From the notes listed here, I was very sure not to like it. But I do! It's fresh, sensuos,but not in a 'here I come way' but very understated.Aswell, from what it smelled on me it wasn't too floral-green.So everyone who is afraid or against floral-greens- don't hesitate! You might like it...
First I could smell a nicely toned down apple-y scent with vetiver. Then the gardenia came through, afterwords sth creamy, and stayed with the woody-musky drydown. Like expensive softcream.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I'm trying a sample of this one today and it's oh so pretty! I liked it right away. It smells like a fragrance that some of my mother's friends wore in the 1970's. Not sure what that scent was but 50's Glam has a touch of that, and a definite "Ladies who lunch" vibe, with a modern twist. It's a lush green floral, not sweet at all on my skin, and the dry-down is a soft woody musk. It's kind of a softer, gentle Carven's Ma Griffe. Similar in character, at any rate, like it's Ma Griffe's daytime counterpart or soft-spoken cousin.

Which is not to say it's not appropriate for evening, or is faint and fleeting. 50's Glam seems suitable for day or night, and the sample I applied 12 hours ago is still detectible on my wrist.

I like the other reviewers' descriptions of expensive soap and really nice shampoo. It has that going for it, too. Well done, Avon! One more for the wishlist!

falovalo
falovalo

Just from the scented page, I thought this smelled like a really nice shampoo. It smells light and clean, which is surprising because from the name, I was expecting something super floral and heavy.

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

This is just as the scented page smelled to me! Feelings I get from this fragrance are feminine, lady-like, proper, soft & airy. It doesn't scream it's presence, but lingers in a nice fresh, floral subdued way. There is sweet honeysuckle in 50's glam, that I don't see listed above, but is definitely prominant. Good daytime fragrance.
This scent makes me think of a rich and creamy floral bar of soap that you wish was a perfume itself.
I also have to mention that I just love the art design for this fragrance. I think it relates totally to the scent in the bottle.

denizati
denizati

There's something I dislike quite much. My mom relly liked this and it's very floral scent, but I feel it's too floral, like something fake. And I don't find musk scent even if I try.

lucy77
lucy77

very nice and Floral Green and lasts long, i like it ;it smells very spring and summer, good scent,just perfect.....