Designers » A » Floral « Groups

5th Avenue Avon for women

5th Avenue Avon for women
dislike

coconut

5th Avenue from Avon is a classic fragrance launched in 1986. The composition consists of notes of coconut, rose, lily of the valley, amber and musk.

Musk Amber Rose Lily-of-the-Valley Coconut

Nokomis

5th Avenue Fragrance Reviews

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

I like Fifth Avenue by Elizabeth Arden but I wondered what the "Avon" version would smell like. I have a miniature dab on bottle. This is very nice. It has only 5 notes (5 Notes 5th Avenue) coconut rose lily of the valley musk amber..The flowers come forth first. This is a sweet perfumy rose and lily of the valley so you've got a rose and white floral combination that is very nice. The coconut is a tad more on the aquatic side like coconut water and has a sweetness that I like. The dry down is amber. Gorgeous amber. It's a soothing smell. It's easy to wear and very inoffensive so you can wear this just about anywhere and no one is going to take notice of it. It sifts close to the skin. Subtle and sweet flowery smell.

SweetPersephone
SweetPersephone

I bought a bottle of Avon Fifth Avenue as part of an estate sale. The bottle is dated 1986, so I wasn't sure what to expect from it. I sprayed it on for the first time this morning, and at first got some lovely strong floral notes of rose and lily of the valley, and also something sweet. Fine, call it coconut. It doesn't smell obviously coconut-like to me, just sweet and pleasant. I asked my husband and son for their impressions, and they liked it, thought the floral/sweet scent was nice. I went to work, and sitting at my desk an hour or so later, I noticed a lovely, woodsy scent. It took me a few minutes to realize that it was the Fifth Avenue. What a turn! It must be the amber and the musk coming out. I can barely smell the sweet floral at all now. I love the woodsy fragrance this has evolved into. It changed my "like" to a "love".

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Lost to Elizabeth Arden's 5th Avenue but this was still such a beautiful Avon perfume. My mother wore this and it smelled great on her. On me not so much. However I have worn it and enjoyed parts of it. When I try on a perfume there is always something I like and dislike about it. It's like getting to know a person. The scent is musky and unpleasant towards the end, pure musk even unisex. I picture men walking down Fifth Avenue, not women. There is a very sweet coconut scent as well as amber which fortunately does project and it's a gorgeous gorgeous amber. The floral notes of rose and lily of the valley are enough to make it floral but it's not exactly a floral fragrance. It's hard to classify this. It doesn't even have the perfume pyramid formula structure of head-heart-base notes. It's a linear scent and smells exactly the same from beginning to end but it is very nice. It does not evoke Fifth Avenue the way Elizabeth Arden does but it is a well balanced and memorable perfume. My mother kept all her old Avon perfumes and sometimes I ask her if I could wear one to study it and then write a review of it on Fragrantica. I think this wears better in spring. In the very intense heat of summer like in July or August this might smell bad. It's too bad it's been discontinued. I have the cologne spray bottle which is selling on ebay.

CosmeHaul
CosmeHaul

Another one my mom's friend the Avon lady gave me as a kid, even though it was "big" for my age...

When the bottle was new, on me, the lily of the valley and rose hit first, but the lily of the valley faded quickly and went straight toward musk as the rose faded toward the background. I don't get coconut, but I do get a faint hint of a flowery (rather than syrupy) vanilla. On me, this one isn't as syrupy as the notes in the description might imply. (Definitely not as sweet as Far Away, for example.) On me, the lily of the valley makes it brighter.

Another reviewer suggested woods. On me it's not quite that, but there is a sharp green note that lasts just slightly longer than the lily of the valley. That green note is almost like a sharper, greener sibling to the lily of the valley, if that makes any sense. Whatever it is, it gives this fragrance a "fresh" snap.

If you get a vintage bottle of this, be sure the plastic top functions nicely and isn't broken or cracked. The plastic on this bottle had a tendancy to crack and leak. I'd had mine only a short time when mine cracked and I had to decant it into a perfume bottle with a dauber.

Edited for typo, and to add that this fragrance is one I had to stop wearing when I developed multiple chemical sensitivities. I liked it, but it had a tendency to trigger my migraines because it was a little too strong for me.

pansylady
pansylady

I agree, ILuvParfums- this fragrance has a lot in common with Alfred Sung Sung-

I'm shocked to see no woody notes in the database- because it smells very, very woody to me!

There's also something soapy going on here-

The notes listed here just don't smell anything like the way this one smells on me-

lisaivette
lisaivette

I found this on ebay, on the search for another coconut laden scent. Maybe my bottle has turned (1986 on the box) but I, smell a very sweet ripe banana . I agree that lily of the valley is absent. Not the coconut I was looking for. I think I may need to spray the bottle a few more times to let it breathe. Im not ready to give it up just yet.

ILuvParfums
ILuvParfums

Perhaps you should try S.U.N.G. by Alfred Sung. it's " Similar " yes, but more intense, it's lovely...

I couldn't tell what the familiar note in this was until I read the note pyramid. It's coconut! But not an obvious coconut, nothing like in many modern fragrances. This coconut is hidden, wrapped in musk and and other notes, as if it's waiting to be discovered by the wearer. I don't get any lily of the valley at all. The blend of notes here is pleasant enough, but nothing special to my nose.

maiker
maiker

i remember in 1993 have this, it was so nice. gentle, make me fell unique. is one of the best smell ever had. i can't never understand why avon take it out of the market. HOPE ONE DAY SMELL SOMETHING JUST LIKE THIS,

guest_kel
guest_kel

This was my favorite perfume. I wore it all the time, and was heartbroken when it was discontinued. I have not found another fragrance like it since.

No reviews on this one yet? I have been curious forever to know what it smells like! I tend to adore classic perfumes with the note coco. I have seen it's picture in one of my vintage perfumebooks, only never smelled it. If you know this, please review it for me!
And for all the other Fragrantica friends here of course!!

5th Avenue by Avon 3.89 out of 5 based on 21 ratings and 11 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon 5th Avenue fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Avon 5th Avenue, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify 5th Avenue by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of 5th Avenue by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.