Designers » A » Floral « Groups

Candid Avon for women

Candid Avon for women
dislike

tuberose

Candid by Avon is a Floral fragrance for women. Candid was launched in 1977. The fragrance features tuberose, sandalwood, jasmine, oakmoss, vetiver, ylang-ylang and rose.

Tuberose Sandalwood Jasmine Oakmoss Vetiver Ylang-Ylang Rose

Senso
Giorgio

Candid Fragrance Reviews

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

The first time I smelled this I was completely intrigued. That was about 27 years ago! I was helping our neighbor, a very beautiful, totally chic, well traveled flight attendant clean out her bathroom vanity as she was getting a divorce from her husband. I kept smelling this heady, warm, floral smell emanating from under the bathroom sink. It was so lovely, mossy and rich. I asked about it and she pulled out a coffret of Candid...hand cream, perfume & shower gel. The shower gel had leaked all over the box and since she was throwing it away she said I could have the set if I wanted it. Well, I was over the moon & hoarded every bit of what was left of that for months. I hadn't really remembered it or thought about it since, but then a week or so ago I was at our local Dollar Tree store. They had a lot of Avon Candid antiperspirant roll on deodorants for sale. I had to have one! For a buck, what the heck! :)
I have been wearing this all day, and if the smell coming from my under-arms is anything as fabulous as the perfume, I will be needing to track down a bottle. The scent is still a sweet, heavy floral. I smell a dark sweet tuberose, herbs, sandalwood, moss & roses. To my nose, it smells nothing like many of the other perfume comparisons reviewers before me have mentioned, but every nose is different.
This is definitely heavy & rich...along the lines of Ungaro Senso, The Mary Kay hit, "Genji", Interlude & even has the dank, smokey richness of Bijan or Original Charlie.
If you like heavy spicy florals, I think this is one that should not be overlooked.

miahreis
miahreis

I bought this fragrance at a flea market counter that was selling Avon, along with Far Away Sensual Embrace, and Peony Soft Musk, and this one is my favorite of the three. To my nose it smells similarly to Primo! (the dupe of Giorgio Beverly Hills)and Tatiana on me when it sits on my skin for about 4 hours it starts smelling like the dry down of EA Sunflowers. I absolutely love it, it has a powdery-floral drydown on my skin and it makes me smile! This is a silliage monster, I can spray it on my wrists at 7am and I can still smell it before I jump into the shower at 9pm! I really hope rumors are incorrect when they say its discontinued because this is a beautiful scent! If it is true, not a smart move, Avon, not a smart moVe AT ALL!

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Despite musk not being listed as a note, it is a white musk like only Avon does a white musk—think Odyssey or Soft Musk—combined with the creamiest, most mellow sandalwood you would ever want to sniff, and a dose of sophisticated tuberose. This is not the tuberose of the Lagerfeld Chloe—not so spicy and rich; and it is not the tuberose of Truth or Dare, either—not so pink and fruity. It is somewhere in between, light and slightly fruity with a touch of spice. I think the jasmine and rose are there to lighten the composition; in this regard, it could be third cousins to J Lo’s Glow.

A sniff at the nozzle, or immediately after spraying, it actually reminds me of Imari; a similar “Avon note”, with the sandalwood and tuberose which they have in common. But Candid is much lighter, without the balsamic, incense notes of Imari and without the dose of aldehydes. I think this is much more wearable (although I love Imari). Candid blends very nicely with my skin, settling in like a good musk does. It is an extremely creamy, “fuzzy”, cozy smell after 2 hours of wear. It might smell “soapy” to some, but I think that is because this style of scent (tuberose, white musk, sandalwood) has been turned into soaps far too often. For those on a quest for a “Dove soap” scent, this could work. It is perfect for casual social situations where you want to smell nice but not formidable. People will want to lean in to smell you, and probably lean on your shoulder for a hug.

Candid has moderate sillage and longevity of about 4 hours (still there but faint). The Fragrantica rumor mill has declared this discontinued and I couldn’t find it online or in my Avon catalogue. However, my Avon lady was able to get me a bottle no problem for about $8 (1.7oz), which is a steal.

@jenniferlincoln
@jenniferlincoln

Soft floral that has a timeless quality to it. This fragrance flies under the radar. It is truly a great buy and to dispell the rumors of it being discontinued, Avon has had a change of heart on discontinuing it.

spritzedsilly
spritzedsilly

I saw it that too, drugstore classics! I am horrified . I I this perfume. I can't believe it. I am going t stock up.

This is s pretty. I love the soft powdery , tuberose . It's utterly feminine and ladylike. I really do hate to see it put out to pasture.

News Flash!

Sadly, Avon has just discontinued Candid. She's available - for the moment - on their 'clearance' page online. I feel like playing a dirge. :(

Candid lovers need not panic, as I'm sure bottles will be available on ebay for years to come. But buying a very affordable bottle right now couldn't hurt!

Long live the scented memories of Candid......

goldenlight83
goldenlight83

This scent reminds me of my grandmother when I was a little girl this was her signature perfume. Everywhere she went she sprayed this perfume on thick. It smelled nice on her but not on me.

drugstore classics

I must say that my search for "the real" Candid has taken a while! And come to a very satisfying conclusion........

My previous review states that I loved the vintage, aged mini of Candid that I sampled at a friend's house, and that I later bought a vintage of my own. It was wonderful, though somewhat weaker than the aged ( condensed?) mini. Recently I decided to purchase a bottle of the current affair, just to layer with the old.

WOW. It is now here, and my expectations have been surpassed!! Perhaps it was not necessary to purchase a vintage after all, as this "plain ol" bottle will do quite nicely, thank you Very much. It's strong and true to the vintage, though not exactly like the skin softener I had originally sampled. That must have been my confusion all along. In some of the skin softeners there is a sour quality, rather unlike the juice itself.

Now that I have this lovely BARGAIN, I want to encourage all of you who love woody tuberose to try this little wonder. I feel as though I've just bought a rather expensive edp, while in actuality I've purchased a cologne for around 6 USD ( ! ). The sillage and longevity are truly amazing for a cologne. Please don't let perfume snobbery deprive you of Avon's well kept secrets. Think of Timeless, for instance......

EDIT ~ I've now concluded that the vintage 80's and the current Candid are virtually identical. I cannot tell them apart once they've been on my skin for around 5 minutes. There is a way in which this is Woody, Balmy, and Rosy - simultaneously. Charming!

adair58
adair58

A gentle, under-appreciated fragrance from Avon that has soft tuberose and sandalwood. A nice choice for warm weather, and it's quite long lasting. As others have said, it does recall Jontue. I have smelled Jontue recently, and prefer Candid.

Limpylou
Limpylou

Say what you will about Avon fragrance... Fragrance snobs will cry "cheap"! This long-last ing ( on your skin and in the Avon fragrance collection) scent is pleasant and unusual.

I wore it on the '70's when it was introduced; still wear it occasionally now and will consider purchasing it again. It has a spicy, woodsy scent on me and wears long!

It's not the brand or the cost, or the name; it is what fragrance does for the WEARER that is important...

frillyfillyB
frillyfillyB

I like several of Avon fragrances, in fact, sold Avon many years ago. I just want to mention something:
Avon sells so much perfume that they do not have to use cheap ingredients.
The overwhelming amount that they sell takes care of it all. I have been away from Avon for a long time but have been ordering a few scents on line recently.

Osusanna
Osusanna

I get two prominent notes from this fragrance, sandalwood and tuberose. I can rarely wear tuberose, so I feel that this fragrance is very well done and not screechy. I like that the drydown smells a bit like incense and I especially like the staying power of this. I like when perfume smells like perfume rather than "clean" and this still manages to be perfume without losing that fresh feel. It's possible that there's a soapiness to the drydown with that incense.

A wonderfully priced composition from Avon.

blackpearl1
blackpearl1

I first tried a sample of this in a avon book!
My first reaction I thought it had a unique smell.
So I ordered it and I am very please with this perfume.
It has a nice floral scent with a hint of a incense
smell. Like the staying power of it. Good Stuff!!!

Daisy1925
Daisy1925

Well....Avon just had a sale on this and several other classic scents. The box said 1999! Yikes, 13 years ago. Guess they are really having a tough time staying in business. I know it means nothing to have a scent that was made a long time ago. But this one truly wasn't stored well or it just went bad. I seem to remember it being better. It reminded me of Rive Gauche but lighter. They are both aldehydic to me but they just blast at you. Nothing complex or subtle on me. This one just smelled cloying and awful on me. Nothing like Jontue, which I love. It was too spicy and sweet, which made me think that Avon tends to make cheap perfumes as many people think. I love their skin care products and some makeup but I have to say this scent and others from Avon just define "cheap, unsubtle perfume" to me. Trying not to offend, just keeping it real. (Or maybe I'm getting older and like subtler notes on my skin.)

aidin900
aidin900

I did not enjoy the beginning though it isn't terrible it is simply too sweet. The sillage for one spray was shockingly strong and likely plays a part in my ambivalence but now that that has toned downed and moved on, it really is lovely. The vetiver and oakmoss offer a depth that the beginning lacked, it intially seemed like a linear tuberose that was going to fall on it's face. The rose pops as an undertone that never overwhelms the scent and makes it an olfactory delight, I am shocked at how much I like this scent due to the subpar start.

Koralanne
Koralanne

I come back to Candid periodically through the years; and sold Avon off and on for years. I went to my Avon Lady who works in a general store, because I wanted to try Timeless again. She had a two for 10 bucks under the counter to offer me and I didn't want two Timeless and took a bottle of Candid to go with.

When I first sprayed it was very strong but is mellowing out two a slightly spicy sweetness I loved. Have always loved the scent of Candid but it smells a little better on some other women. Timeless actually has a better dry down fragrance on me; but the Candid is nice. I prefer it in warm weather.

I became tired of all of the B&BW sprays I have that last five minutes and have bottom notes that are nearly all the same. I wanted something with staying power that is inexpensive and unique to a woman's chemistry. They both fit the bill for me. Two sprays is all I need!!

biancaloren
biancaloren

I knew it was a perfume that had some years on it - never had the chance to experience it! So I bought the skin softener - to test the fragrance out - you can always use up a cream but if you buy the bottle its a waste if you aren't particular to the scent! So, I ended up really appreciating the fragrance! Very gentle, understated gentle elegance. It reminds me of a pleasant kind perfume to wear at work. Not flirty but not serious either. Just gentle, pretty and pleasant. I bought a bottle the very next campaign. ;)

Amarilis60
Amarilis60

I am not sure about this scent but I look for Candid (e)(a) from 80s. Found only this one , It seems to me the bottle was quite similar to this . Can somebody tell me - does it remind a little bit of Climat? I don't say that frag I remember was a copy of Climat, but softness and overall feeling of the scent reminded me of Climat,
Is tuberose very noticeable?

Scent-a-holic
Scent-a-holic

I also rediscoverd this beloved scent recently. Maybe because Im older now or maybe the fragrance has changed or whatever but this is better then I even remember!! I bought a huge amount of these so I would have back up in case avon discontinues like they tend to do with no warning. But now that I am much older then when I originally discovered it I realize the to me candid reminds me of very distant memories. The frag itself reminds me of my grandmother opening and old trunk of treasured clothes. Yes there are mothballs none of that is in this lovely frag though. But for me at least it takes me back to an older era, something sweet something spicy just so unique!It is long lasting and a light but sweet drydown at least on me. I dont find it old I find it classic. Its funny when people say old lady smells ect, I have often had very young girls ask me what frag Im wearing when Ive worn one of my treasured oldies even candid and often Ive had to reply "sorry though sweetie they dont make this one anymore". So yes I do love candid works for me!!

damewolf13
damewolf13

This is a light slightly spicy floral that is perfect for daytime in any season. There is a freshness, and lightness that keeps the spice from becoming too much.
I loved this scent when I was younger, and I still love it. It is unique enough to keep me coming back to it all these years later.
Sillage is quite good and longevity is fairly good as well.

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

I bought a bottle of Candid for old times sake. Its pretty, light and sweet . I remember loving it as a young girl . Its a very pretty scent . Its not a knock your socks off scent at all. One of the few Avon fragrances I like. BUT I have more of their perfumes on the way. I can't help myself !

Erilene
Erilene

Candid foi um perfume muito marcante em minha juventude. Gostaria de adquirir um frasco, mas me parece muito complicado importá-lo. Aqui no Brasil não se consegue comprá-lo?

itscool2hate
itscool2hate

it's powdery and spicy..but very pretty.

Clara13
Clara13

I bought this recently for kicks, thinking it would feel nostalgic to smell this 70's classic again. It does take me back, but beyond that, I'm surprised how much I like it. I keep coming back to it. As you can see from the notes, Candid is warm, a little spicy, a tiny bit floral. It's slightly sweet but not too much so (I dislike sweet scents). I think the sweetness may vary with skin chemistry. Candid is not complex, but it's nicely balanced and is one of the most enjoyably *warm* scents I've worn. I like that it has incense undertones but isn't at all harsh.

i had this back in the day and i liked it. it smells different to me now. then it was a crisp, yet spicy blend. warm, with a little tinge of jasmine. i liked it as an everyday scent. its just not the same, it's stronger and cheap smelling. the dry down is different to me too, turns too powdery.

cisco
cisco

I have the cologne and the Scented Skin Softner in the little red tub. For some reason Candid smells a little spicy on me. Apply the Skin Softner while your pores are still open after your bath and then the cologne. If you wait until your pores are totally closed, the Skin Softner smells too much like Ponds Cold Cream. Applied correctly, these two very economical items make for very soft fragrant skin.

Cubby
Cubby

I remember liking Candid. A friend, deceased at a relatively young age, said that Candid was the only fragrance that didn't give her a headache. It was her signature. Always think of her when I see a picture or think of the scent.

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

the vetiver ruins this for me.
i will give it a couple more tries.
but if you don't like vetiver, don't bother with this one.
if you DO like vetiver, you might surprise yourself by liking an avon scent.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I remember having Candid back in the seventies, it was one of the better ones Avon had back then. It always reminded me of Jontue somehow, maybe the tuberose note in both. I think Avon followed the current trends and Jontue was the one for young ladies then. Candid has more spice to it and was not as sweet so it seemed more grown up. It's still around and people still like it so it's worth checking out.

guest_FussyCat
guest_FussyCat

I love Candid. I've tried a lot of fragrances and can't wear many of them because they give me headaches. The more expensive perfumes are even worse in that regard. But Candid never bothers my or my husband's allergies. This is a warm scent, and not at all powdery! I don't like powdery scents. Candid has a nice balance of warm, spicy, floral, and sweet -- not too much of any of those, but just right. A reviewer at Avon said it smells a little like Nag Champa incense. It does, a little! But it's also feminine and sweet.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Candid is not a bad scent (powdery), Im not to crazy about Avon perfumes-they are typically not my cup of tea. I just can't put my finger on what it is about avon perfumes that make stay away. The only scent they ever produced that I ever liked was Charisma, a sharp green and I like sharp greens but I don't ware it though either.

myrakes
myrakes

I remember Candid from when I was a teen in the 70's. I remember I liked it then and can understand why now. I now wear Red Door alot, and saw another reviewer say they were similar. I am also learning more about perfumes and their notes.

felineluvr
felineluvr

Oh dear....this stuff should be named M I G R A I N E!!! That is all I can remember from smelling it many, many years ago...the horrific headache it gave me. I hope I never cross paths with it again.

raleigh
raleigh

this fragrance reminds me of red door by arden, even though red door came out almost 20 years later. This is lighter and cheaper, so if you like that kind of classic and traditional scent, you will enjoy candid.

guest_Rogerio Santana
guest_Rogerio Santana

Eu ganhei um frasco desse perfume só que com a tampa dourada. O fixador é muito bom pois uso pela manhã e à noite ainda sinto seu perfume. Quero comprar aqui no Brasil mas não consigo.

falovalo
falovalo

I remember this from when I was little, my Mom had it. I remember it being sweet and not too over-bearing. She had this and Timeless, and I thought this was much better.

Candid by Avon 3.32 out of 5 based on 146 ratings and 36 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon Candid fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Avon Candid, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Candid by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Candid by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.