Designers » A » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Imari Avon for women

Imari Avon for women
dislike

aldehydic

Imari by Avon is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance for women. Imari was launched in 1985. Top notes are aldehydes, galbanum and bergamot; middle notes are tuberose, orris root, ylang-ylang and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla and cedar.

Aldehydes Galbanum Bergamot

Cashmere Mist

Imari Fragrance Reviews

Bublegum
Bublegum

I had totally forgotten that I owned this perfume, until I found a body powder that was coming along with it and remembered it. In a way it reminds opium, although it is less heavy, but, not my kind of scent that I would have rebuy. I remember someone has given this as a gift when I was 14. I wore it for a whole winter and I forgot about it. Nothing special to remember in my opinion. I remember the sandalwood and the musk though...I would have given this perfume something like 2.5/5.

krmarich
krmarich

I graciously discovered an original bottle from 1985 and I have to love this lost classic. I was always afraid that it was an "Opium clone" due to its red plastic bottle. Its not an oriental at all. In fact its a very green playful chypre that has all of the beauty that Avon could produce. Its closer to its cousin Charisma than anything and that is quite impressive.

It opens with familiar bergamot and heady galbanum that delivers a beautiful floral heart that the above tree totally lacks. The tuberose is well done. I get some rose, carnation and jasmine in here that behave well together with lily of the valley, ylang ylang, iris and mix in some incense you get an elegant creation that held its own with the competition of 1985. In the day everything had too much civet. This is a nice alternative.

Mix in some patchouli, vetiver and oakmoss resting on a bed of soft amber musk woods an you get this refined beauty that can seem graceful, elegant and ladylike without shouting. As an Avon fan since childhood, Imari shines like many other of its lineage.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

Serene, evening spice with a breeze of "fresh air" aldehydes. I love how the grainy, velvet greenness of galbanum always gives a nocturnal air to a scent; it smells like cool, evening dew accumulating on greens still warm from the day. The subtle, underlying soapiness and greenness belies what would be an otherwise thick, vaporous incense and spice blend.

However, with the galbanum taking center stage, "Imari" never enters the heady, bone-dry, intoxicatingly smoky density of incense orientals like "Opium", which is as dry as an ebony box holding a burning incense cone in metal.

"Imari" hints at "Opium", in that it references the 1920's flapper revival by way of the 70's and early 80's but it's more personal and casual than "Opium" and when I smell it, I imagine an elegant woman in a well worn and faded but still beautiful, silk kimono, walking along the path by a pond, admiring water flowers and birds, as The Sun goes down. I really love the quiet, shadowy, casual beauty of this blend.

Raven NessRavenous
Raven NessRavenous

Avon spray perfumes have excellent sillage....a little TOO excellent! However, do not give up on Imari if you think the spray perfume is too strong. If, like me, you like powdery and woody scents, give Imari Perfumed Skin Softener and powder a try. Go ahead and slather on that classic Vaseline Intensive Care lotion in the yellow bottle, put on your good old Powder Fresh Secret deodorant, and then apply about a dime size of Imari Perfumed Skin Softener and sprinkle a little of the powder on your shoulders. With this method you will have just the perfect amount of inoffensive classy vintage vibe.

Ohgollygally
Ohgollygally

Classic! I love this perfume

Miss.Tara
Miss.Tara

This is definitely a scent you have to try on to truly see what it does for you. It's warm and deep. I had the deodorant roll on while growing up and it always made me feel pretty. I would say this is best for Fall and Winter.

bonnie52
bonnie52

I used to sell Avon and Imari was a popular choice among my customers. It is a head turning, woody, powdery scent that lingers a good long time. I have worn it myself and I love it. Avon really gets an undeserved bad rap.

anitaoolong
anitaoolong

I was given a number of Avon samples by a fellow Fragratician and I've been waiting expectantly for a cool day to test this perfume.

Oh, the aldehydes. Happy me! I do love them. There's a lovely trio going on with the galbanum, the flickering incense and the dry woody base. The elements are very nicely balanced, although I don't think I have the ideal skin type to get the best out of this fragrance. I seem to smell spice, although not listed. The only flower I detect is lily of the valley.

Imari is rich smelling and elegant when worn sparingly. It is a good quality perfume for a small price. I could do with having a small bottle of this for cooler days or nights as I quite enjoy its depth and composure.

Thanks CathieH for the sample!

drugstore classics

OtakuKitteh, my guess is that you are not a fan of Galbanum!

OtakuKitteh
OtakuKitteh

I am an Avon rep, and occasionally bundles are offered to reps at a discounted price. This was one of several small bottles of perfume for less than $10. I don’t mean to be overly critical, but this is just so foul to my nose. There is something that is very musty and off about the original Imari. The Imari Seduction and Imari Blossom are both nice, but I am just not a fan of the original. It seems really strong, and has sort of an attic and dried flowers aroma to it. The smell of it reminds me of an old house or old clothes. I never like to say that I can’t see the appeal in a scent, because everyone is different, but this one is very hard for me to imagine anyone liking.

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

I was recently gifted this this fragrance by Avon and I have to say I like it a lot.

Frankly I don't care cost and brands for I know some audiences will squirm hearing the word Avon . But I have to say sure its not ultra fine quality of French perfumes but Avon has good decency of quality and spirit that its quit fun to wear.

Imari ,the perfume:

well on its own, its a very warm,balsamic and woody fragrance with touches of vanilla that gives it a lot of lovely female intrigue and exoticism.

I saw a few people comparing Imari to the avenue of Chanel in aroma, but I must gracefully disagree since I grew up with all the lines of Chanel's in my lifetime, doesn't smell like Chanel.
Although , When it comes to Guerlain on the other hand, yes I do see definitely how Avon got their inspiration in making Imari.
In my mind, if Samsara by Guerlain and Old Spice had a baby, I think Imari would be it, it has that exoticism that's warm, inviting and alluring strength that just makes you purr.

Imari on my skin:
it lasts quite a long while, I delight that I was given this in gift set and I would wear this definitely again, I could see why despite of decades trends that came in and out, Imari will always be Avons Olympian in their fragrance category.

If you delight in womanly Orientals with warmth, balsamic strength that creates a exotic creature, Imari is it, makes a good gift .

There is really nothing to fear from Imari. It's a soft, lovely, old school woody-floral-soapy fragrance but lacks any of the harshness that may turn some off from such fragrances of the genre as Chanel No. 5 & Van Cleef & Arpels First.
The first spray has a definite bite from the galbanum, but in moments Imari is a delicate, musky aldehydic fragrance with very mild tuberose and creamy sandalwood. I also smell bergamot, lily of the valley and that signature old school, powdery & barely there vanilla.
Although I can't see it being a love for everyone, I'm surprised at so many dislikes.
I find Imari very easy to wear and still quite similar to the version I recall from the late 80's / early 90's. It's just perhaps a bit too nostalgic, but I'm glad I bought a bottle (for $5 on Ebay!) and experienced it again.

danceforjoy
danceforjoy

I have had the good fortune to have been gifted a number of Avon samples by a generous Fragrantican.

I would go so far as to say Imari is centered around galbanum, which makes it very astringent. It is powdery, soapy-floral, vanilla-sweet, peppery and faintly woody. I do not detect any tuberose or loud floral.

I generally do not like galbanum, but this is soft, so I went for a second opinion. This is falling between good and weird. Critical of much that I wear, I considered this more positive than negative. Side note, men are as, or more generous toward Avon perfumes than women, in my very limited sampling.

In the end, I think I will not get a FB of this, though not because of the galbanum. Something about the notes that contribute to the sweet and powdery aspects of the perfume are detracting from the green-ness of the galbanum, which is handled beautifully. However, I suspect the powdery sweetness is why it has been a much-loved scent for as long as it has.

Chava
Chava

I love Imari - it reminds me quite a lot of Shalimar and, as others mentioned, a woodier version of Chanel No 5. On me, though, it's more of a floral oriental than a floral aldehyde. I have the Imari body wash, lotion, and dusting powder that I layer on with something like Shalimar, Opium, or Tabu; it blends nicely with any vintage perfume. Like a lot of the older Avon fragrances, this one is womanly and sophisticated. No Froot Loop scent here!

drugstore classics

The accords here at Fragrantica are absolutely correct for the current formulation of Imari, which I find to be both interesting and useful for layering. It is a floral aldehyde with a nice blend of incense and gentle greens. The base seems to be that of clean white musk - very inoffensive and pleasant.

BUT!

I have just had the great good fortune of smelling the vintage Imari, and they are truly different. Oh, the same greens, well blended with incense..... and there the difference begins. The vintage comes off as a far richer blend of incense, with a much "thicker" feel to the opening and heart. Even the drydown is sweeter and more dreamy-creamy by comparison. I can smell cozy powder and old fashioned musk in the base. Now THIS is no floral aldehyde!!!! A refined floriental would be more like it. :)

For all intents and purposes the vintage and the current Imari are both lovely. But I would have preferred that Avon name the current version "Imari Light", to clarify the changes that have taken place in it's composition.

Bottom Line - I'm still very glad I have the current Imari, since she is a pretty and versatile layering perfume. That said, the rich and comforting vintage version is MY cup of tea. :) Many thanks to the kind and generous Fragrantican who brightened my world with such an elixer!

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

I was given this as a gift for Xmas. At first whiff I was pleasantly surprised at how rich it smelled and the list of notes seemed promising, but alas...it seemed there must have been one chemical or other which didn't let this lovely scent blossom on my skin. We weren't meant for each other, this was quickly established. On me, it turned somewhat boozy and medicinal...but, I felt bad thinking about throwing it out and held on to it.

So, fast forward one night where my beloved came home aching I went ahead and used the body cream to massage my boyfriend and wow, seemed Imari has a thing for testosterone or something because on him...it smelled quite sexy! It had a rich, balmy, slightly spicy but mainly woodsy/musky aroma.

I figured that since it smelled pretty good on him, I should take it a step further and spritz him with the perfume and yes, the cedar took happy residence on his manly pores. I asked him what he thought of it and he replied "I think I smell like hot chick but that's ok, the guys at work already know I got one at home"

Quite smoov there hunny. What can I say, he's pretty fly for a white guy. But, anyway...lovely scent!

mary.dinoface
mary.dinoface

This is an ok perfume. It smells good but its not me. I smell alot of powder in this, and that reminds me of old lady. I wear it sometime when im going out on the town but not very often, I really like gucci by gucci for that :)

M.Golightly
M.Golightly

The fragrance world is highly dominated today by the sweet fruity floral scents. With that reason I always make sure I pick a fragrance away from mainstream. One reason why I decided to get this fragrance was simply because reviewers claim it to be a 'cousin' of Chanel No.5 & Shalimar.

At first spritz it honestly turned me off. For someone who isn't used to aldehyde the opening was right in your face. I decided to put it aside.

I gave it another chance and the trick is to apply lightly and waiting for the aldehyde to settle/dry off which is about ten min. For someone who burns incense everyday like me, Imari captures the scent perfectly. A mature, bold and confident fragrance which is a classic. More importantly it evokes and wraps the person wearing this fragrance in an aura of COMPLETE EXOTICNESS. Apply it sparingly so that you wont get overwhelmed by the scent.

Not a lot of people know that Avon makes very good, seductive fragrances. This is one.

fihe
fihe

I've smelled this in the past and thought it was a nasty old lady perfume, but I just got some in an Avon fragrance sampler and tried on just a small amount. Very interesting fragrance. On me, the smell actually alternates between clean/powdery and spicy/woody every 30 minutes or so. I just may consider buying a full-size bottle.

zeldaautumn
zeldaautumn

My sister sells Avon and I buy a lot of Avon fragrances. One day she said to me, " You like incense, why not try Imari." I ordered a bottle, the prices of Avon are so affordable that even if I don't like a scent I can pass it on and not feel that I am out of pocket. I am so glad I did, what a wonderful warm, incense, chypre, powdery, sexy scent. I think this will be my favourite to wear this winter. It has great lasting power on me, and I wore it to work, though I did not go mad applying it, just a spray on my chest. It made me happy all day and I know this is because it is reminiscent of my beloved Shalimar, just missing the vanilla undertones of that glorious perfume. Imari is definitely a fragrance I will keep buying.

Tovah
Tovah

I bought myself a bottle of this in 1988, after trying a sample given to me by a student's Mom, who was an Avon Lady; the kind that still rang doorbells and showed up at your house wearing a knock-off Chanel suit. I was around 22 years old, and ordinarily I was pickled in Camp Beverly Hills, but something about Imari reminded me of (in my thinking at the time) Shalimar, or Caleche, or Opium, or Krizia...I really had no idea. I thought Imari smelled elegant and much more costly than any other Avon fragrance to which I'd been exposed. And believe me, I'd been exposed to a hell of a lot of secondary fumes from Sweet Honesty on classmates and Timeless on their mothers throughout high school and college.

When I bought Imari, I worked nights at a book store in a mall,and Ysatis was all the rage in the department stores. I had so many bookstore customers asking about my fragrance, I was shocked. I know for sure a couple of co-workers purchased Imari after smelling it on me, and one woman told me Opium was the only perfume she'd ever purchased for herself besides this new Imari.

Looking back, I now realize that Imari intrigued me because it had beautiful incense notes. I wasn't able to identify the notes I sensed back then, but I can remember the Imari of those days clearly. It was mysterious and lovely.

I'm basically afraid to know what it smells like now, because I'm willing to bet it pales in comparison to its former oakmossy self.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

After a few seconds of the aldehyde blitz, the oriental spices announce themselves. There is a slight resiny bitterness mixed with a hint of bergamot, reminiscent of a cup of China Black tea. Sandalwood and cedar give appreciative woody notes along with musky vanilla in the dry down.
If you can get an older bottle, do so, there is a difference. Regardless, this is a strong, sultry perfume that comes back at you when you least expect it. Imari can be soft when worn at the pulse points. It can be elegant. An Avon perfume that has stood the test of time. It is seductive and more of a night perfume. Best used in the cooler weather. Lasts a few hours and sillage is good.
Imari is not one to sprayed without thought unless you want your perfume to introduce you. Wear it sparingly for a beautiful effect.

teresathebarista
teresathebarista

Imari Seduction is my favorite perfume, and Imari Blossom has quickly become another favorite. I got a bottle of Imari in the mail today, deciding to give it a try after passing it up at the flea market after a whiff test. At first spray I thought I still didn't like it, then I let it settle on my skin. After about an hour, I caught notice of it while I was walking around the house, and I love it. It's feminine but dark without being overbearing with the musk. It's like an elegant sweater, cozy and mysterious. Another win from the Imari line.

Tsukinohime

This is my second review. I managed to get myself a bottle of Chanel no 5 recently and can't resist trying it together with this. Both are unmistakably related, with that burst of musky aldehydes at first spray, but C#5 became more lush and floral as time goes by while Imari is more dry and woody. Being an EDP, C#5 also lasts longer compared to Imari, but at only a fraction of the price of C#5, I'm not complaining. My Imari also comes with body care products like a purse concentre and skin softener that I can use interchangably with the original Imari EDC or the C#5. It's a sure way of making the perfumes lasts even longer! Someday if I manage to get my hands on Guerlain's Samsara or Calvin Klein's Obsession I'll try it together with this too. I have a feeling that it's an even closer relative to Imari than C#5 is...

karebear0099
karebear0099

I do not own Imari but have Imari blossom, it smells wonderful. I loooove it. It might smell a bit like plum and slightly spicy. Honestly I have a hard time describing how it smells as it is quite unique. I really love it and highly recommend it.

eirenelisa
eirenelisa

Finally! A cousin to Chanel No. 5 that works on my skin. I've always been a little envious of those that could wear that elegant classic. Because whenever I tried to wear Chanel 5, even when freshly squeaky-clean showered, it turned into a dirty pungent mess on my skin. But I always admired the perfume on others, and even though it was not my regular style, I wanted to be able to enjoy the bottle of No. 5 EDT that I'd been given. But seriously, it was foul on me, completely different than the beauty it was on my friends, every single time I tried it. So I passed along my Chanel bottle to one of them.

But here is Imari! Instead of turning acrid on me, it just turns softer, into lovely expensive soapiness. I didn't know I could wear a floral aldehyde. Very exciting!

I'm not getting much of the opulent spiciness that others mention about Imari. The aldehydes must be drowning out the woods on my skin, or else I have a different perception of what an Oriental fragrance is.

I won't be buying a full bottle because there are others on my list that I would rather own (perfumes that are more "me"), but I might like a purse spray for whenever I feel like feeling refined, elegant and classic. Thank you, Avon, for your wearability!

librarygirl
librarygirl

Yes, I bought Imari Blossom about two months ago, thinking it would be a quiet bonus like Imari Seduction. It was pleasant, but didn't last long on me. I gave it to my daughter who loves it.

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

Has anyone tried the new Imari Blossom (flanker)?
I have submitted it to Fragrantica's Database request thread. If you have any information, I'd love to hear your opinion on it. Thank you! xo

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

I remember the mysterious red bottle my mother owned, & I was not allowed to play with! What a pretty bottle, curvy like a woman, daring in red. I think the scent is a good match as well. Rich, deep, and voluptuous, Imari is one of those classics that will give you a distinct halo, and the quality of this perfume is not lost. I believe I have purchased a vintage set. It smells exactly as I recall on my mother, & it is indeed very strong! Luckily for me, the galabdanum that's present in many chypres, greens & orientals gets along with my skin famously, so this rich composition sings for me! Please note, dear reader, That I am in the midst of a binge through the house of Amouage, so it is obvious to all that i love robust perfumes! just a personal preferance. This is my comfort "Oriental." When Amouage is too complex, or the AG Orientaistes Collection too heavy, this is the perfect scent to reach for, and it is reached for often! It brings to mind an oriental/green composition for me. Resins, smoke, a leather hint perhaps.. fiercly green galabdanum in a massive dose & beautiful Sandalwood give this perfume a sexy bottom! I would advise fellow resinous, exotic, and sensuous perfume lovers to fall into this huge success from the Avon line. I've heard the reformulation is lighter, more powdery & delicate, which I could definitely see suiting some. Ill stick with the old powerhouse that competes with Opium & Samsara thanks! And she does indeed hold her own. Here is Cinderella! Nobody knew this hidden beauty was coming to the ball! And oh, no.. The bitch wore RED!

RavenNess
RavenNess

This review pertains to the cream and powder version of Imari. I was expecting this to be spicy and a tad masculine, but on me, it is powdery..which I liked. Not powdery in a baby way but powdery in this nostalgic "1987 lotion-that came-in-a- tan-bottle" at Granny's kind of way. It was like a less leathery version of Timeless and a sharper version of Night Magic. Everyone here is reporting of the spray's strength, and that may be what turns them off. I think if you put on a tad of the cream in the winter with some powder, it would feel nice and reminiscent of perfumed anointing oil. When I was a kid, the priest anointed my head and for some reason, when I smell Imari, it reminds me of it.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

Why did they have to reformulate this? I know Imari is a classic but I haven't paid much attention to it until I smelled it on a colleague. I was rotten scared of oriental fragrances back then. I was having a conversation with her when this spicy, somewhat heavy yet heavenly fragrance greeted me. I HAD to know what it was so I asked her. She said "Imari". The second I turned, I almost gasped "It can't be." But it is and since then, I started building more respect for classic fragrances---no matter how cheap.

Recently I decided to try it. It is no longer the same. It still is unmistakably Imari but no longer as rich.

Update: I got a mini of the vintage and it smells gorgeous!

scratchnsniff29
scratchnsniff29

Imari is a very warm,spicy and cozy scent. I associate my greatest childhood memories with this scent. Does anyone know if the reformulated version smells the same as the original? I recently purchased one in hopes of enjoying the fragrant memories of the good old days.

Tsukinohime

If only this wasn't an Avon fragrance, maybe she will receive more likes or at least some respect from the parfumistas out there. Yes, she might be a cheap drugstore brand, but her composition is nothing short of elegant and could rival those of Chanel no 5 and White Linen, her more famous sisters in the floral aldeyhe category. She bore many resemblence especially to the latter as they are both clean, no nonsense fragrance that a serious, confident woman would wear. Flowers like tuberose and lily of the valley together with bergamot and galbanum creates an aura of maturity and self confidence. Woody notes like sandalwood provides a solid underground structure that gives an impression of strength and serious-mindedness. She is not without a soft side though, for the vanilla adds a softening touch to an otherwise stoic composition. Like a quiet, seemingly snobbish girl that starts to warm up to you when you got to know her better, it creeps up ever so slightly between the lines, but never breaks the overall mood of the perfume.

Truth be told she's an acquired taste for me. When I first tried her on I found her to be entirely dull and without character. But then I realize I was in a flightly frame of mind when I tried her. I am more mature now and I feel like it's the time for me to try fragrances like this. I finally had a chance when Avon had a sale and I got her for a measly $5. I was a bit daunted at first, but now it is just thrilling. Maybe it's because of the novelty of the experience, I don't know, but once my bottle runs out, I will definitely buy again. I intend to try the body lotion to layer it with so it lasts longer. Yes, being an Avon and at a cologne concentration it does fades rather quickly that I practically drenched myself in it to gain significant longevity. But don't let that stop you. Bottom line is that Imari is an enduring contemporary classic and every parfumista (especially beginners with limited budget like I am) should try this at least once. It is a classy scent in many ways and I'm sure you gonna lose a lot if you don't.

sygrid29
sygrid29

i love imari classic among all of avons fragrance range. because this cologne since the only one that seems to last more compared others. i just can't understand why people nowadays are so sensitive on perfumes. i don't get the heavy smell of imari. for me, its a more diluted version of ysl opium so people must be more kind to this product. if you're an avid fan of victoria secret and paris hilton scents, then i can say that don't even dare to sniff this one..

BlueFragance
BlueFragance

I love the powdery sensual oriental smell of imari, it has a vibe of someone who is in control with herself, relaxed yet serious, I do not understand the dislikes!

antfarm
antfarm

I went through a phase when I was a pre-perfumista where I just couldn't get enough of this. I wore it in high school to make myself feel like an adult. It's very mature and sensual. It's very powdery and smells mostly like face powder and incense. It smells like...intoxicating magical GILF dust.

However, as time went on, I began to think this one must have been reformulated. Now it smells mostly like rubbing alcohol instead of the way it used to.

HeidiLynn

Finally, a day cool enough to wear my Imari again. I forget how much I do love this fragrance until I put it on and let it settle and develop; a sniff from the bottle does not do it justice. This fragrance does have a masculine vibe—which I love. It also comes across as a more “mature” scent, also just fine by me (I’m in my 30’s, for what that’s worth). As I revisit this fragrance, I realize that it in many ways exemplifies my favorite notes.

Galbanum—I only recently realized that this is a common denominator in some of my favorite fragrances, and part of what gives that warm, strong, masculine sense. Bergamot—another favorite, another slightly masculine note; herbal-y, rich yet crisp. Sandalwood—almost a guarantee that I will adore a fragrance, this also gives warmth and depth. Musk—not a ‘white musk’ here, but also not a dirty or overly complex musk, either; well balanced. Yes, there is cedar here, but thankfully not too much….and yes, there is that strong, pinchy chemical note of aldehydes, but I’m OK with it here and don’t find it too overwhelming and think it provides balance. Amber—yes, I sense it’s there…but blended so well with the other warm notes, and not typical; this is not a vanilla-centric amber, but a spicy, earthy, golden amber. Orris root….not strong in this composition, not to my nose…but like the style of amber, I think the orris is giving an earthiness.

The lily and tuberose…the vanilla and ylang-ylang….my nose doesn’t pick these notes up at all, unless to say they are there keeping the overall composition from being a completely masculine scent.

I love how Imari develops on my skin. I love that it is complex yet well integrated; it is warm, rich and opulent without relying heavily on vanillic-amber. It is somehow spicy, without any spice-notes (it seems that cloves , ginger and cinnamon should be listed as notes…but they are not). It is somehow smoky, like hardwood or mesquite burning in the corner of a cozy room—but not overpowering, not tobacco-like, and without a true incense note.

Imari is like a deep, dark, red Rioja—smoky, well oaked, rich, mature, smooth and multidimensional, with each sip, each sniff, bringing a new sensory gift.

celestialstar19
celestialstar19

I ended up with this perfume from my Aunt who passed away and loved to sell Avon. So I have the full set of this fragrance shower gel, fragrance, and body lotion. I would recommend this if you like orientals that are spicy, woody with incense, and powdery all in one this would work for you. It is well blended in my opinion. I layer it on and it lasts a long time on me. I was hoping to have something more flowery because I love lily of the valley and I do not get much of it in this. I can see many people pulling this off its exotic and unique. I also understand why people love it. It is a change from todays fruity florals and smells unique in my opinion and it is Avon so it's inexpensive. If you like flowers, sweetness, sugary, or fruity florals this is not for you. To all who love this and enjoy it spice up your life.

ggkeller
ggkeller

How did the come up with Imari Seduction and Mystique when this one was the first one and why do they keep this one and get rid of Imari Satin? Which by the why smell wonderful, if you can find it. This smells to much like mens perfume! Those who do like it,how?

fragaddict
fragaddict

Aside from the aldehydes in this, the notes in here are incredible. I would love this if I could get past that rancid chemical smell. All the other fragrance notes in here are harmonious, almost like a great song. I can't wear this for the same reason I can't wear Chanel #5, that freaking aldehyde smell. I would absolutely adore this cologne if that awful chemical smell didn't exist in this but since it does, this is surely not for me. Imari does have lasting power to be a cologne, and a little indeed goes a long way. If you don't like aldehydes, you won't like this, but if you do, go for it.

adair58
adair58

Old school spicy-sweet smell with a most addictive aldehyde blast! Great on a cold, rainy or snowy night. It almost guarantees good dreams! I have always had it and I always will.

Not particularly long lasting, but it is always on sale, so carry with and re-spray. I love it.

nessmcgregor
nessmcgregor

Was gifted to me awhile back from a friend who can't rave enough about it. Not a huge fan myself, hardly wear it, it reminds me of musky toilet spray. In my opinion it's more of a "manly" smell.. Doesn't last long on the skin either as it's only a cologne.

dukestupid
dukestupid

I just bought it as a blind buy and im not disappointed, i really love it!

It smells really mature and classy. Im a 14 year old and im attracted to mature scents like this. I also love Chanel no. 5 but ost people around me say its too "old"

The problem for me is the longevity. its too short lived.

wunderland
wunderland

a favourite of my mom. sorry mom, but i find this Avon classic matronly in the worst sort of way. far too overwhelming. it doesn't smell feminine

Nirhtuc
Nirhtuc

I got this for my 21st birthday in a set with a solid perfume creme and a shower gel. I wondered why the lady gave me a typically more mature scent, and well... I guess the release date says it all!

I gave it away to my mother at once, because I have a strong preference for gourmande and floral fruity perfumes. This was just too strong for me and smelled pretty horrible on me. BUT it is all about body chemistry because it smelled absolutely lovely on my mum and she got compliments from many people when she wore it!

joliecat
joliecat

This is a spicy sweet oriental frag. Strong at first spray, but calms within 2 minutes and settles close to skin....sweetly floral and a lot less spicy. Unfortunately, in about an hour, you can't smell it at all, so you must respray often. Many perfumes are not made to last, so that you use them up faster having to reapply often. You buy and replace them more often.

Compared to original formula Opium by YSL, Imari is much lighter, sweeter, and definitely not made to last.

pfcs
pfcs

This is one of the few Avon fragrances that I like, and as is often the case, because it isn't the latest thing, it is very reasonably priced and on sale often. The lotion in the bottle is very silky and goes on easily, and the purse size cologne is very inexpensive.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I was skeptical about buying perfume from Avon because all of them I purchase give me a headache. I was pleasantly surprised with Imari. I got a deal that I got powder, lotion and the perfume for 10 bucks. My favorite way to wear it is after my bath at bed time mainly because my husband LOVES Imari. I even spray it on my pillow!
PS This last at least over night on my skin.

cinsot
cinsot

I have a soft spot for the fusty dame dressed in maroon with gold embellishments. With her woodland scaffolding and semi-spiced soapiness, she can be good clean fun on a rainy winter's night.

I really enjoy the snugness of Imari's embrace.

HeidiLynn

I like this fragrance--especially in fall/winter; too heavy for when it's hot outside. It's sophisticated, woodsy, with hints of vanilla and musk. It reminds me of my mother in law (a good thing!) and smells "grown up".

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

I agree with some of you that the scent you end up with is a light, musky, incense like, powdery smell. Very old fashioned...so it's not for everyone. It has an ethnic vibe. Not my favorite, but sometimes I like to wear it and just relax...:D.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Vintage face powder, Elnette Hairpsray, Cigar smoke and spicy Incense in the best possible way. Wonderfully cheap and suprisingly sexy for a cheap cologne. This is really one of the few Avon scents that works with my chemistry. Layer with the body powder or skin softener for best effect it really enhances the powdery vintage feeling of this fragrance. For some reason this is a man magnet despite it's cheap as chips price tag and bad reputation; everytime I wear it I get compliments from men about the exotic smell. One of 3 fragrances out of my large collection that my other half will rave on about. Sometimes I love this other days I hate it since it is full of aldehydes which I am not always in the mood for, but it's definitely worth having in your collection it even comes in a body spray which smells very true to the perfume and will only set you back a couple of dollars!

drummagick
drummagick

I just came home with a 1 oz spray bottle of Imari from an antique mall in town. In the store, and without spraying, I would have sworn this was a chypre.

I got home and sprayed a bit on the back of my hand and got just a split second of bergamot and aldehydes, and then within seconds a strong hit of fruit that was gone almost as fast. Then baby powder and incense.

I like baby powder and love incense, so this is fine with me. I wish the opening would have hung in a bit longer, I was enjoying that fruity opening that disappeared so fast.

Poodle1918
Poodle1918

I like this one but then, I like Orientals. I've always loved Samsara and Opium. I'm not normally an Avon wearer but this one is nice. If the perfume is too much, try the body cream. I got mine at a discount place and it smells great. Not too overwhelming and just perfect for colder weather.

Anup
Anup

I'm sure we can all agree that this particular fragrance has Chypre Dna in it's bones. An odd release for Avon considering the year was 1985. At that point in time i was under the impression that perfume houses had moved more towards Florientals and Chypre/Oriental hybrids. Regardless of it's pedigree, this scent continues to turn heads, for better or for worse.

Imari starts with a sticky herbal paired with an extremely old fashioned aldehyde. The type of opening found in fragrances of the 60's and 70's. I think the opening, being the most prominent part of the whole fragrance, is what confuses me the most about this fragrance. There is also a shrouded sort of woody fruit smell, that is very strange because it also comes off quite whimsical.

To those who are fairly new to perfumes this scent is going to smell of old woman and with that in mind if you're new to scent, stay away from this. With slightly more experienced noses, this will be appreciated and understood for what it is. An awesome Chypre Floriental/thing that needs to be in every perfume-enthusiasts collection eventually.

Dragonfry70
Dragonfry70

Imari is, by now, a classic Avon fragrance so I am surprised that so many claim to dislike it. When I wear it, I feel happy. Lately, I have been wearing the lotion to bed. It puts me in such a good mood! It has a sweetness that is tempered by the woody components. It is one of my favorite Avon scents and one of my all time favorite fragrances. I do not recall having smelled a similar scent so I can't compare it to anything but if you would like to try it, it comes in a small, inexpensive bottle. Or try the lotion when it is on sale. Even better, ask your Avon representive for a free sample. I hope you like it as much as I do.

sweetpetite73
sweetpetite73

My favorite Imari is Satin, in the white bottle. It's quite pricey now, when you can find it. Satin seemed to be a softer, lighter fragrance than Imari. Avon needs to reintroduce some of their fragrances. It's always the ones you like they discontinue. :(

This smells different and unexpected, and quite unusual. I would describe it as aldehydes and incense. There's a soapy freshness mixed with smokey incense that is appealing to me. It's strong so it's easy to use too much but with a light application, it defintitely has an old school glamour about it.

goldpoint
goldpoint

Imari has been around in USA for many years. So I understand the young ladies, whose mothers or grandmothers used that, saying it's an old lady's scent. In fact, when you first meet Imari,you may fall in love with it. This actually is what happened to me and for a certain period of time Imary became my signature fragrance. Then I lost my Avon rep and several years later, when I found the Avon site, Imary was in my first order. To me,it is a very nice scent ,the dry down is amaizing,as a golden rose.

frankie22
frankie22

Whats not to like? I actually ordered a bottle to see how 'horrible' it was! It was on sale and sounded like it was right up my alley - warm woody incense-y thing. I think it's just fine! I have Carons that I hate worse than this, I have sampled niche fragrances that are MUCH worse than this.I don't think its like Tabu at all.I like it! So there!

Senzadite
Senzadite

By far one of the worst fragrances for women that i have ever smelled; with all my respect this is just baby powder dilluted in alcohol, terribly cheap smelling and annoying.

Sissi
Sissi

Imari is it Ambiguous or Androgymous? everyone has there own interpretation of what the mind preceives of what a scent should be, She is neither Girlish nor Womanly, Imari avoids the sweet naivete of candy notes and airy florals She is a deep and worldy Woman who takes no nonsense nor sugar-coateed Sentiment from no one.

The Scent of Imari opens with the note of Aldehydes dry and musty like dust on old leatherbound book forgotten from age then dries with Irises gives off A metallic smell like freshly carved ivory Piano Keys newly played while the thinly covered dust float slavishly in tune to the music under the beams from a Venetian blinds in the Early Morning light,

Imari dries Warm and Spicy due to the presence of Incense descreert enough not to overpower yet definde to make it's presence known, The incense note is also a thinly Disguised metaphore of Dimly lit
street filled with rustic stores of exotic antiques and old Opium Dens
and a Pagoda that silently hides between the house of vices incense burns quietly thoughout the night with the scent of sandalwood add to the nocturnal side of Imari.

The Note of Musk starts the Finishing of Imari very prominate it seemed to drown out the other notes ie
Vanilla amber and ceder But the Sandalwood holds it's own and adds a fiery woodish twist to Imari The Musk IMHO is my favotite note It has a Mannish quality and make the scent a bit Androgymous almost masculine if you left out the Tuberose A Man can wear can wear this, So what is the question Is it Ambigious or Androgymous My Answer whould Be mostly Androgymous it's Blurs the line of Feminine and Masculine,

My Final verdict This is not a scent for young Girls it's a scent for a confident Independent woman who knows what she wants out of life and aware of her Sexuality and know how to use it.

irarai
irarai

this has been discontinued in our country and imari seduction is now in its place well it was a good fragrance warm and perfect for winter. i luved its dry down and not its top notes.

flyushkifly
flyushkifly

This is dry, stale baby powder on me. It smells 'old' and firmly rooted in the 80s. More than one spritz is headache-inducing.

Here's how I've discovered it works, though: I use one spray low on my body, usually behind the knees or belly, then apply a usual amount of something syrupy sweet and youthful (Demeter Sticky Toffee Pudding; Paris Hilton Can Can; Harajuku Lovers Wicked Style Love, etc.) elsewhere. The two seem to meet at a middle ground and create a non-cloying gourmand with a complex woody oriental base. Acceptable!

Why would I work so hard to use something I dislike? Stubbornness and a DIY attitude.

naheed
naheed

This smells really good and reminds me the 80s when my aunts used to visit us from Portugal and they smelled quite similar to this one. I love travel back to those days.

Imari starts off with aldehydes which can be smelled till it settles down. Here's how it covers its journey from the spark till base. The beginning is a mix of aldehydes and some spicy notes which is quite pleasent and can be easily predicted that it's going to work well on the skin. As soon as the top notes join the heart, floral notes emerge which smells more of an accord and there you can detect a bit bitter note too. So this is somewhat like aldehydes, florals and a hint of bitter note which probably comes from galbanum. Time for the base to complete the fragrance :). This is where it becomes powdery. The base is really rich and I am sure to say that to make it smell like powder, sandal has been added with a generous hand. Vanilla has been added for sure in it and since the amber note itself is an accord so that's where the richness come.

On the whole, Imari is an elegant fragrance and should be worn with a light hand. It is best enjoyed in the evening and will also prolong the lasting power. I wore it last night and it's now morning and can still smell it.

Thank you Chris v.v for this surprise gift.

funky_gina
funky_gina

Hm . . . IMARI is a feminine comfort scent. At the beginning it's fresh and sweet with a tiny bit of spice. Then the powerful powdery note comes in with the flowery notes, and that slowly fades down into a nice musky, woody base, still with some soft spicy tone though. It is warm, welcoming, fresh and comfortable. It does not make a special statement or an identity about you. It just simply says 'I am a woman and feel good and comfortable in my skin today.'(Not sexy, classy or happy etc.) It is great for office, causal daytime or yoga class especially during winter or autumn season. However, I think it is for a more mature woman (or wiser type of woman), who knows what life is about, and appreciates it with respect and love, and can take a break from it with this scent on, saying I am just watching today, I do not want to stand out, just enjoying the show of life while I am passing through today. It is a really nice, complex scent and lasting power is great. No wonder that is on the market more than 25 years . . .

it goes on like bug spray. a very strong, fake, chemical smell. a headache in a bottle. i don't find this feminine at all. its too harsh. even when it dries down it has that zing of OFF bug spray. this reminds me of a heavy oriental. not a fan.

gazelle
gazelle

OMG! Teya is short form of my granddaughter's name.

As for Imari, I can take it or leave it. Prefer to leave it since I almost never wear it. Doesn't make a statement about me when I've worn it.

Astektomas
Astektomas

Yes, it does indeed smell wonderfuly on others, meaning women - it's tenderly warm, exciting, arousing
evoking desires misteriously infused with longing for
perfect romance, touch, embrace...my all times female favorite, perfect adorement for a full-bodied and hot-blooded femininity, uff...

From the AVON website:

Imari is a Chypre.
A romantic fragrance which begins with an infusion of tart fresh bergamot harmonized with a feminine accord of floral aldehydes and a light hint of juicy peach. The heart of this creation captures the exotic mystery of the orient through the skillful enhancements of incense, floral spicy osmanthus flower, Moroccan rose and balsamic ambered tones of myrrh and iridescent benzoin. A floral clarity is accomplished but the lavish use of white lily with Jasmin flower essential for an evocative richness. The back note is a crescendo of creamy East Indian sandalwood, white musk, oakmoss and the resplendence of precious gardenia. A nuance of vetiver and a hint of patchouli with tincture of orchid vanilla bean contributes richness and persistence to this most enchancing floral scape.

2. Where does the name "Imari" come from?
The name "Imari" comes from a type of Asian porcelain that was extremely popular in the palaces of Europe.

I never cared for it on myself-but it smells wonderful on others. My second oldest sister wears this exclusively, when she wears perfume, and uses all the body products. I personally prefer Yria by Yves Rocher.

Both are oriental floral and incensy, but not too rich!

@JonCologneSplash: Around February they will be releaseing Imari Mystique. It is an oriental floral with white woods and black honey! I smelled it in a rep preview book and it smells better than Imari or the Seduction flanker, perhaps it is a reissue of the Imari Velvet...

JonCologneSplash
JonCologneSplash

anyone remember VELVET IMARI, I bought this for my wife, then girlfriend about 10 years ago when we were still in HS...ahh memories..this is awesome stuff hard to find

guest_goldiechick
guest_goldiechick

I like the Imari body lotion more than the Odyssey or Sweet Honesty perfumes. I'm glad I didn't buy the perfume. These days, I prefer light perfumes.

laurenmf27
laurenmf27

Beautiful, spicy, warm. Perfect for autumn and winter. This perfume smells much more expensive than it is.

arg1971
arg1971

Imari is a very strong scent you dont have to spray a lot of this on to get noticed

Scent-a-holic
Scent-a-holic

Well it seems to agree with me and my body chemistry. It is a rich exotic scent not for everyone. On me its ultra feminene and long lasting to be sure. It is a classic that still has it's fans to this day. In this world today where fruity scents abound this is definatley a more stronger spicy alternative. Plus it dosen't hurt that it's super affordable. If you like this scent then it's a really good value for the money.

P.S. Did I mention that Imari is a MAN MAGNET. It sure is on me, men are EXTREMEY attracted to the sexy fume. Bargin basement price for a one of a kind long-lasting fume such as this. I'm gonna stock up on a ton of these even in this economy it's still VERY afforable. A must try if not buy. A tir: I only buy the purse spray it has the same amount of perfume as the big bottle but for a fraction of the cost. Also the smaller bottle has a lid and is so much easier to carry in my purse runs about $4-$5 for 30ml or 1 ounce when on sale which it is alot.

Fragrancelover79
Fragrancelover79

Spicy goodness. Really like this perfume. Long-lasting.

nyoka

Imari is a deeply creamy,floral woodsy fume,The bergamot in the beginning may put some off but when the orris root and ylang ylang blend with it,its beautiful.Love the satiny dry down,amber,vanillaand cedar for a lil kick.A beautiful autumn scent.great to wear with boots and a long shawl.not too sexy just a lovely scent.

Lotofire
Lotofire

Smells so vulgar...i understand why people like it...but as a man believe i dont know a single one that likes this.

guest_anonomous
guest_anonomous

I had a roommate who wore this in the early nineties, and never had the balls to tell her how awful it smelled. It made me want to not hang out with her... it offended me that much. It's very synthetic smelling, plasticky even. I have other fragrances that I love with the same notes, but this one was either blended badly or the quality was poor. There are some great synthetics out there, but they don't seem to have been used in this. I'm guessing the LOTV note is the main culprit that makes this go "off." Not a crowd pleaser, by any means. If you do wear it, I'd try to avoid the vicinity of anyone who hasn't specifically told you they like it.

Amethyste
Amethyste

traditional, classical 80's perfume, very close to Tabu by Dana

avonfreak
avonfreak

I call this one "Stinky." I love almost all of AVON's perfumes but NOT this one. It smells like bug spray.

I'm not surprised that Imari is a scent from the 80's. Scents back then were intended to be intense, lasting and rich.

The powdery aldehydes are dominant from the very beginning. However, they are not sharp since the spices and resinous, bitter galbanum balance out the chemical-like quality that aldehydes sometimes portray.

I can't say that Imari is particularly unique seeming that there was a huge trend for aldehydes during the 70's and 80's, therefore there are many fragrances that smell similar. However, there is something truly likable about Imari.

It is true that this fragrance is likely to appeal to the more mature woman, although it must be said that as a young woman in my early 20's, this fragrance could be worn easily by anyone of any age, including myself.

Imari isn't very sweet or flowery, to my nose it is mostly musky, clean, warm and powdery. It is one scent that really should be applied in small quantities, seeming that I made a mistake when I first wore it, of spraying way too much and smelling like a harsh overdose of talcum powder.

Unfortunately the lasting power wasn't very impressive for me, lasting no longer than 3 hours, which was a huge disappointment. I only wish that Avon produced more fragrances that last as well as smell good.

Seline
Seline

I had it long time ago, its a very feminine fragrance. Romantic...

bloody frida
bloody frida

Wow, I didn't realise it has adelhydes - Im' going to have to sniff it again as it's been 20+ years since I wore it

AnnMarie
AnnMarie

Imari who does not have it....This came out the same yr my son was born and I recently acquired another bottle. I agree with drdonna when you layer it, that's when it has its charm. The shower gel and lotion are heavenly not costly but gosh you feel luxurious when you apply it!!!

nyoka

Have any of you heard of l elephant?this is was imari is close to in smell.L elephant is expensive andhard to find.Not for the faint of heart>it is different>it is long lasting and definately different>It is strong,powerful,full of different notes,enough to suit anyone.strong,confident,and someone who stads out in a crowd.Have heard it reminds some people of opioum but I hate that scent And love this one>

guest_Lucia 1987 Benitez
guest_Lucia 1987 Benitez

I think this is a great perfume.It is my favorite from avon,the only thing that I do not like is that the gorgeous and ergonomic bottle is not available in latin america,please Avon bring it to latin america with the powder,shower gel,body lotion and shimmer gel and the beatiful softeners.

HOPE007
HOPE007

I just tried this today, and honestly I am neither in love with it.. nor do I hate it.

The top notes are a bit overpowering at first, but after that it is pleasant enough. Kind of reminds me somewhat of Avon's Timeless in someway but with a twist... Also the drydown for some reason reminds me somewhat of Revlon's Charlie, the original one? It isn't exact - they just have to share something that I am finding similar...

I do smell the aldehydes in it which I find nice since I love aldehydes.. I do like many of the notes - the Ylang Ylang, Lily of the Valley, and Tuberose.. and all of the bottom notes with the exception of cedar - I am not really a fan of cedar in my perfume.

I love incense as a general rule in my house, especially various forms of Sandalwood and Frankincense so the incense smell people are talking about I do not find at all bothersome.

My husband is also neutral on this smell as well, and being he is from the Middle East he tends to like rather different smells than the norm & incense and Ouds are his favorites.

Overall not hideous like some make it out to be, but nothing really sexy in my opinion either. I do like the aldehydes though... ;-)

jigglyclefairypuff
jigglyclefairypuff

This smells like an eccentric herbal doctor's apocathery

eranaral
eranaral

Should not be given as a gift. Very easy one to dislike. lots of incensey, earthy, dearthy, rooty scents. Not fruity, not sweet, not flowery. Kinda bitter scent. I see it as unisex. lasts about 3 hours (on me).

raleigh
raleigh

this is truly my favorite fragrance for evening. it is very sophisticated. i don't care for the cologne spray, just the shower gel and body lotion. they are dynamite. and you can always pull out a little bottle of the lotion if things get too quiet!

drdonnaa7
drdonnaa7

IMARI I LOVE . IT'S SENSUAL SMELL IS SOFT AND ROMANTIC. IT DOESN'T COVER YOU WITH SMELL . IT EVENLY COVERS YOU WITH AROMA. IT LAST ALL NIGHT AND WHILE YOU WISP AROUND YOU FEEL LIKE A REAL WOMAN.

kenberlyc
kenberlyc

Love it! It goes on strong at first then dries down to a spicy creamy vanilla.My 11 year old loves it on me. I will definitely buy it again but think it's not for everyone. It really has to work with your body chemistry.

lillybee
lillybee

Does anyone know if this fragrance is the is older / American version of Avon Treselle toghether with Imari Seduction for Treselle Seduction. The Seduction bottle / packaging designs are very similar.

moonflower143
moonflower143

I remember when i was barely in my teens,my mom's bestfriend used to lived with us before, she wore this perfume,and i really loved sniffing her perfume everytime she sprays it..this is really a very nice and captivating perfume..but now that im a young adult, im not sure yet if i would get this perfume or add this as one of my collections...

falovalo
falovalo

Rich is the right word for it. A bit heavy and incensey to me.

katyas
katyas

Imari is an old favorite of mine - I still remember how it seemed such a rich and sophisticated scent when I used it. It has been a number of years since I have used Imari - looking at the notes, I wonder it if might not be time to give it another try ...

Imari by Avon 3.14 out of 5 based on 343 ratings and 98 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon Imari fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Avon Imari, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Imari by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Imari by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.